PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite......

Soup Dragon
08-09-2009, 23:25
Ok. An appeal to the users of this site. Please answer this, and that includes the chaps in the PG office, just to get a little life in the chit chat forum and hopefully show that people are not just using it to get a map with the pub locations - which to be fair is what i used it for - until i thought i should give something back!

Your favourite........

Bitter, lager, MILD, cider.
Pub - the last one you would visit if the Grim Reaper allowed you a pint worth
Pub town - where would you go for a crawl if he was generous and gave you a night's drinking

So here is mine;-

MILD - my favourite drink, but Holdens comes out tops for me.
Bitter - tough one this, but i think Bathams edges it, so good, its nearly a MILD!
Cider - I dont mind a cider, especially in summer (that is a season we have, apparently) but no strong favourite - dont laugh, but Woodpecker is probably it.
Lager - would rather have my teeth pulled.

Pub - The Railwayman's Arms in Bridgnorth. Sheer quality for an archivist, which is what i do. Read my report. Customer service, environment, beer choice and quality - all spot on

Crawl - Only one day, so it would be Bridgnorth again, ahead of Whitby. If i was extra-lucky and was granted a few days, then York - either way i would be in heaven before the GR got his scythe on me!

Will i get a reply, or will the tumbleweed blow???

Conrad
09-09-2009, 12:02
Hi Historian,

Well I definitely use the site for more than maps and pub locations, and am very glad that you are giving something back, hopefully we can gradually crank this place to life.

Sadly your line of questioning is going to end up completely outing me, I have never been much of a drinker, and after a prolonged hospital stay a couple of years back for Leukaemia I had until the last month or so given up apart from the odd pint. So my rather poor answers are:

Bitter: Recently been drinking mainly Sharps Doombar which seems to now be in every pub in Bristol: either they are storing it differently or brewing it differently now though as it seems to be becoming less tasty. Happily coming into Bath Ales Festivity season so that should compensate a little.

Lager: Will grab a Stella when I just need to politely down a drink in the local ACME chain pub.

Mild: Look I live in the South, you are just making up these drinks now.

Cider: Oh great - not satisfied with ostracizing me from PG you want to get me banned from my Football Club (Bristol City). Thats that stuff I used to drink when I was 16 in large bottles isn't it, I am most definitely not a Cider drinker, no matter what the song lyrics say.

Pub: Goodness, long time since I have really cared about a pub, my current regular is the Bunch of Grapes (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54712/), nice for an after work Friday drink, or Seamus O'Donnells (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/483/) a tiny but friendly pub in the city center. If I were allowed to give the Grim Reaper a quick game though it would have to be pool at The Sportsman (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/651/).

Crawl: Well I cut my teeth going on Crawls round Bath, so would have to say there for the pub Crawls, too many to name and so many of them changed now, but it used to be so easy to fall out of the door of one pub straight into the next. Never really got the hang of pub crawls in Bristol despite the oft quoted at university 'cresta run' down Whiteladies Road and Park Street (too expensive and Lager laden for me).

And with that insight I shall now hang my head in shame and go back to the coding which is my true love :o.

Conrad

Soup Dragon
09-09-2009, 13:31
Hi Conrad

Soory to hear about your health issues and hope things are all on the way up now.

Doombar is never a poor answer, Squire. I only managed to get it in the White Lion in Walsall for ages - majestic stuff. It was everywhere in Devon, which contributed to the success of the holiday - as did the St Austell Tribute and Otter Ales.

Stella - are you still doing joke comments from Father Ted - if not, watch your language. Lager is the devil's seed (is that from Blackadder?)

MILD - you heathens down there, one day you will grow up and find a real drink!

Cider - yes, it does have memories of my first drink related puking session! i tend to treat it with respect these days. Been a few years since i saw Bristol City play (Villa here of course) Went to Ashton Gate once, as i do the footy grounds slowly. Also the Gas. Song lyrics - that would be Goodnight Irene you lot sing wouldnt it? :D

Pub - Bunch of Grapes looks ok - been a few years since i was in Bristol 'researching'. I want to do the Seven Stars and Cornucopia, heard good stuff about them - may ask you for a few ideas then when i head to Temple Meads. Clearly though you need to look beyond Bristol and Bath - where do you holiday, Portishead?

Crawl - Only done a few places in Bath and before rating days at that. Always a nice place to go for a guy like me, so will look at it for future. Get yourself and the PG team up to York, for a team building weekend of course!

Conrad
09-09-2009, 14:56
Health is fine now, was luckily one of those cancers where if they get it with the chemo, it is gone. And it has been gone for a couple of years now, so looks likely it is gone for good.

Blackadder hmmmmm, the only devils reference I can remember is to the Devil's Dumplings in the episode Beer. Dave will be along in a minute to give his favourites and I am guessing that with regards to Lager he will suggest it is the work of Beezlebub and that in his house they only drink Bitter. Although he may not suggest that 2 bitters is a luxury.

I am stunned that you could refer to our blue counterparts, I may be forced to return with vengeful retorts if I could think of any. Been a while since we have had a good excuse to play Villa, but I live in hope of us playing them within the next couple of years.

Seven Stars & Cornubia are both excellent pubs, although following the chat on a another sites forum they would appear to be having a little 'friendly' banter between the 2, almost like visiting Craggy and Rugged Islands.

Holiday in Portishead - far to luxurious. I chuck my bags in the back of my Cortina and race off down to Weston me. Alternatively I may be hopping off to Tenby for a weekend in a couple of weeks, never know they may do Milds there.

Bath is a lovely place to visit, pub life does seem to have gone downhill in recent years though, although that just means that some excellent new ones have appeared for people to find (I hope).

Dave M
09-09-2009, 15:06
Hi Historian,

I'm the other half of the PG team.

Mild - I can't honestly think of any mild that I've sampled around Bristol. I have just been looking through the Cumbrian breweries to see what I was drinking on my last visit to the Lakes. Sadly it looks like I stuck mainly to pale ales, can't see any milds at all.

Bitter - I'm with Conrad on the Doom Bar, first had it on a visit to Cornwall 3 years ago and then within a year it seemed to have taken over the South West. When I was in Devon last year I enjoyed a few rather nice brews from South Hams Brewery (http://www.southhamsbrewery.co.uk/), I had a particularly nice Wild Blonde at the nearby Tradesmans Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54944/).

Cider - My dad used to let me drink Woodpecker in pubs from the time I was about 13, then I progressed onto Blackthorn. One particularly heavy night on that when I was 22 put me off cider for good (well for 11 years so far anyway). I do regret never really getting into all the more interesting scrumpy we have round these parts.

Lager - I can't recall the name, but one of the major German brands that is served everywhere in Northern Italy is rather nice. Lager should clearly only be consumed in countries where they don't know what real beer is. ;)

Last pub - The Warren House Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60864/) (I'm sure I have taken a photo of it, must look for that later and get it on the site!) on the middle of Dartmoor, it is a rather bleak area and there is nothing really remarkable about the pub but it serves decent beer was a friendly place and is in surroundings that I rather enjoy. Just everything that a pub should be for me.

Last crawl - Think I would aim to finally get round to trying all the pubs in Ambleside (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/ambleside/cumbria/).

Dave

Soup Dragon
09-09-2009, 15:31
Hi chaps,

Please call me Paul in posts if you want, otherwise it feels a bit formal

I believe the was a phrase..... the devil fa*ts in my face once again... but good to hear all is clear on the health front. Drive to Weston for hols do you - You have a woman's Cortina so Dave has just PM'd me - and talking of pirates, it must have been hell for you when the Gas played at Twerton Park for a while, if you are a Bath boy.

Yes, i noticed the banter in 'the other place', still, will head down to Bristol at some point. I will bring a 4-pack of Banks's MILD to educate you unfortunates in the art of imbibing MILD. Like Saul on the road to Damascus, you will be converted.

A pal of mine has just returned from Tenby and they did Banks's in a pub there, but the barman refused to acknowledge Original as MILD! Brains should be around to.

hello Dave - i had high hopes for your carrer at PG, until the 4th line, when you hadnt tried MILD. I will get the Bishop of Bath and Wells to heat a spike for you! You ralied when you mention Doombar as a cracking pint, that it be - i once heard a wise woman say and i agree too.

continental lagers are still awful, though i have become partial to a leffe - but that isnt a lager.

Dont want to worry you, but that deserted, remote place you mention in Dartmoor, is a prison.

I will have a look at Ambleside pubs and see if i have done any in the past, i am sure i have, but in the days when i didnt make notes.

Galore Admin
09-09-2009, 15:57
Hi Paul,

The Devil fa*ts in my face was another quote from the same episode (just in case anyone is really scared of my trivia here I am cheating and using the imdb's quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526715/quotes) page).

As other people are also reading I should probably remove some of the crypticness as well the other place is BITE (http://forums.beerintheevening.com/), and to get our policies out of the way we allow any linking as long as it is in context. I just don't mention them as I am not a fan of the way they are run.

Wasn't Saul struck blind on the road to Damascus? This mild stuff sounds a little strong to me:). I will definitely be keeping my eye out now though.

As to Rovers I seem cursed to have them follow me, they did indeed play in Twerton whilst I lived there, you could always tell match days by the vast amount of Police vans that suddenly appeared (as they do at every league match, nothing against Rovers there). Then when I went to University in Bristol they followed me there and occupied the Mem less than a mile away from where I rented. I actually only came to football after my University years though and strangely chose the other side of the City to follow.

Conrad

Edit: OOOOOooooopsy, posted as Admin, should have posted as me, too confusing to change now though.

Soup Dragon
09-09-2009, 16:41
Hi Paul,

The Devil fa*ts in my face was another quote from the same episode (just in case anyone is really scared of my trivia here I am cheating and using the imdb's quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0526715/quotes) page).

As other people are also reading I should probably remove some of the crypticness as well the other place is BITE (http://forums.beerintheevening.com/), and to get our policies out of the way we allow any linking as long as it is in context. I just don't mention them as I am not a fan of the way they are run.

Wasn't Saul struck blind on the road to Damascus? This mild stuff sounds a little strong to me:). I will definitely be keeping my eye out now though.

As to Rovers I seem cursed to have them follow me, they did indeed play in Twerton whilst I lived there, you could always tell match days by the vast amount of Police vans that suddenly appeared (as they do at every league match, nothing against Rovers there). Then when I went to University in Bristol they followed me there and occupied the Mem less than a mile away from where I rented. I actually only came to football after my University years though and strangely chose the other side of the City to follow.

Conrad

Edit: OOOOOooooopsy, posted as Admin, should have posted as me, too confusing to change now though.

First of all, you are a bloomin' cheat using a quote thingy..... you should be savaged by a huge turbot.

As far as BITE is concerned, i use it a lot. It has its issues, like PG. As i am a user i guess i can say what i feel about both, i have on BITE as well. I wont be offended if it is cut out! BITE suffers from a lack of administration, this site from lack of active users. If BITE carries on the way its going, i will leave reviews of pubs, but not bother with the forum. Its sad, as there are a lot of decent people that chat on the forum, but a few are spoiling it. There is no chat here to spoil, but you may notice that i do not leave rating scores here, just comments, as BITE shows how the rating system can be corrupted. You guys have shown in one thread that you are happy to get involved in chat etc, to the point that i can already abuse your lack of beer knowledge!

Saul was struck blind - but that wasnt the power of the Lord, but the meths he was drinking. It led to his conversion, to MILD, oh! and to Christianity, to the point that he changed his name to Paul (Norwich Union were not the first to do it - Aviva - i thought that was a 70s Vauxhall).

MILD is not an 'incredibly strong ale', Banks's 3.5, Holdens 3.7.

I went to see the Gas at the Mem - even got their 3rd strip top for a tenner at the time - orange! why did i do it? they played Kidderminster. I remembered the City match i went to. It was against Blackpool some years back. It wasnt a play-off, but last game of the season and i think if QPR or Sheff Wed lost and you won, you got into play offs or something. A bit hazy now.

Do you not drink down the docks, i hear there is good money to be made down there?

Conrad
09-09-2009, 17:35
Hi Paul,

If I can't cheat how can I work out your savaged by a huge turbot reference? Without the internet I have about as much talent as a cluster of colour-blind hedgehogs in a bag.

As to other sites we welcome all comments, but I have taken advantage of the opportunity to start another thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?p=930#post930).

Have you ever considered taking a role in religous education? I would have remembered far more of it with your clearly more honest interpretation of the texts. If he was drinking meths though he was clearly a cider drinker.

If we are going to talk Rovers strips then it would not be complete without mention of their lovely pink strip (http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/april-fools-joke-bristol-rovers-pink-shirt_27) from a few years back (which if I am honest I only discovered was an April Fool when I went looking for a picture). I don't remember the match you mention but I was there, part of our 'defeat is not a failure' season that saw Danny Wilson get ousted, which was a pity, the season before that had what was probably our most attacking side I have watched. That said we have gone up under Johnson so shant complain.

We may have to get a Work Experience student in to do our dock pub research. Actually having written that I suddenly remember that when I was at school (in Bristol) the tradition was to drink at a certain cluster of pubs by the dock as they would serve you on the basis you sat outside so no one knew where you had bought the drink from, given all the pubs are still there I probably best let that memory lie though.

Soup Dragon
09-09-2009, 19:00
I noticed the new thread, and i will give a little more detailed account later on it, after the England game, unless i have had a MILD too many!

The closest i got to religious education was to study brewing in Medieval Monastries!

Dave M
09-09-2009, 23:30
Dont want to worry you, but that deserted, remote place you mention in Dartmoor, is a prison.
Finally dug out my picture thats over 3 years old. Have to admit I didn't notice the high walls and armed guards at the time. I'm just glad I didn't take up the guv'nors offer of a lock in.

I will have a look at Ambleside pubs and see if i have done any in the past, i am sure i have, but in the days when i didnt make notes.
It is one of those place where none of them really stand out but all the ones I've visited are pretty good with lots of nice local ales (or should that be LocAles?!) and within a short stagger of each other.

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 00:04
Finally dug out my picture thats over 3 years old. Have to admit I didn't notice the high walls and armed guards at the time. I'm just glad I didn't take up the guv'nors offer of a lock in.

class comment:D

It is one of those place where none of them really stand out but all the ones I've visited are pretty good with lots of nice local ales (or should that be LocAles?!) and within a short stagger of each other.

LocAles - Camra speak there i see! I do like Jennings beers, which are from that neck of the woods - owned by Marstons of course, so all over the midlands to - Snecklifter - fantastic, the MILD is decent, but at 3.2 a bit weak

Conrad
10-09-2009, 11:36
The closest i got to religious education was to study brewing in Medieval Monastries!

An interesting subject, I seem to remember seeing some program (and I now have a horrible feeling it involved James May, so it was probably W(h)ine anyway). Where they were discussing that the monastery used to just throw open its shutters to ferment the alcohol rather than having a fixed yeast.

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 12:10
An interesting subject, I seem to remember seeing some program (and I now have a horrible feeling it involved James May, so it was probably W(h)ine anyway). Where they were discussing that the monastery used to just throw open its shutters to ferment the alcohol rather than having a fixed yeast.

Thats why they had so many monks and lay brothers wanting to get in - nothing to do with religion - 24h hooch

Dave M
10-09-2009, 15:12
LocAles - Camra speak there i see! I do like Jennings beers, which are from that neck of the woods - owned by Marstons of course, so all over the midlands to - Snecklifter - fantastic, the MILD is decent, but at 3.2 a bit weak
Yes, I have been taken in by the Camra 'LocAle' branding. It seems like a reasonable idea too, so long as it doesn't result in only local beers being served everywhere.

Thinking about it though I must just be a sucker for good branding, last visit to the lakes involved me trying all the Ulverston beers with Laurel & Hardy referencing names, Another Fine Mess, Blue Ridge Mountain etc

Conrad
10-09-2009, 15:30
Thinking about it though I must just be a sucker for good branding, last visit to the lakes involved me trying all the Ulverston beers with Laurel & Hardy referencing names, Another Fine Mess, Blue Ridge Mountain etc

Thanks for that I am now reminded that I used to drink Dogs Bollocks when we were at Uni.

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 16:33
Thanks for that I am now reminded that I used to drink Dogs Bollocks when we were at Uni.

They had a dog in one story called Laughing Gravy, i think

One problem with the real ales that are making a deserved comeback is that many are peddled all over the country - GK IPA, Abbots, Pedigree, Spekky Hen, Bombardier, London Pride etc - so a local choice is great - a local MILD, even better.

You could diversify and get start doing a PG Cider, or Perry if you want to be vogue:)

Dave M
10-09-2009, 16:53
You could diversify and get start doing a PG Cider, or Perry if you want to be vogue:)
Good thinking, the perry will definitely be Conrads department. I'm pretty sure he is fond of the odd Babycham.

If we want to be vogue though shouldn't we be calling it pear cider? I do get rather fed up of the advert with the 'only fruit we put in our pear cider is pears' tagline - why not just call it perry then?!

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 17:00
Good thinking, the perry will definitely be Conrads department. I'm pretty sure he is fond of the odd Babycham.

If we want to be vogue though shouldn't we be calling it pear cider? I do get rather fed up of the advert with the 'only fruit we put in our pear cider is pears' tagline - why not just call it perry then?!

ahhhh Conrad, you have a woman's drink

its all tosh - get a MILD down your neck.

Not the first time cider have tried to up-market itself, from Wikipedia:-

Pomagne is a brand of cider produced by Bulmers in the United Kingdom. It was first marketed in 1906 under the name "Cider De Luxe." In 1916, it was renamed Pomagne.

It was originally produced by the mthode champenoise using only the juice from the first pressing.

Bulmers marketed Pomagne as "champagne cider" until Bollinger took them to court over the use of the term "champagne" in 1974. Bulmers won the case, but stopped using the mthode champenoise in 1975 and changed to making Pomagne by bulk fermentation in a 6,000 gallon tank.

Conrad
10-09-2009, 17:02
Scr*w You Guys I'm Going Home

Edit: Just in case anyone takes this seriously, think South Park, don't watch it, because most of them are rubbish.

Dave M
10-09-2009, 17:43
its all tosh - get a MILD down your neck.

Scr*w You Guys I'm Going Home

And this is what happens when he gets a mild down his neck. A Nescafe Mild that is.

Only decaff allowed in the office from now on I think! ;)

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 21:20
And this is what happens when he gets a mild down his neck. A Nescafe Mild that is.

Only decaff allowed in the office from now on I think! ;)

yeah - and make him fetch it from the Crown!

Conrad
11-09-2009, 12:29
Coffee? Pah you know I am a tea man!

Back now and fully caffeinated on the Earl Grey :D

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 13:17
Coffee? Pah you know I am a tea man!

Back now and fully caffeinated on the Earl Grey :D

Tea isn't my, well, my cup of tea.

Strong real coffee, Italian and French roasts - class, sonny jim

i thought you had closed the office for the day - or gone the Crown

Dave M
11-09-2009, 13:42
Tea isn't my, well, my cup of tea.

Strong real coffee, Italian and French roasts - class, sonny jim

i thought you had closed the office for the day - or gone the Crown

It is tea all the way at this office I'm afraid. Although I have to admit that I enjoy the odd coffee on the continent. (But then they don't know what tea is so don't have much choice)

I don't think there is much chance of Conrad ever making it to the Crown, the main reason I went looking for it was because I didn't believe it existed.

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 16:15
It is tea all the way at this office I'm afraid. Although I have to admit that I enjoy the odd coffee on the continent. (But then they don't know what tea is so don't have much choice)

I don't think there is much chance of Conrad ever making it to the Crown, the main reason I went looking for it was because I didn't believe it existed.

I think you confuse the Crown with Brigadoon, mate!

the word, tea is a corruption of the latin for lager - i jest of course:rolleyes:

Conrad
11-09-2009, 16:24
You've been up North too long, Tea is a gentlemans drink!

Although I can hear the Grapes and a pint of Doombar calling to me already, that Friday feeling.

Edit: My 50th post, bang goes your intelligent conversation :p

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 16:30
You've been up North too long, Tea is a gentlemans drink!

Although I can hear the Grapes and a pint of Doombar calling to me already, that Friday feeling.

Edit: My 50th post, bang goes your intelligent conversation :p

If you think the Midlands is up north, then my intelligent conversation HAS gone:p

Conrad
11-09-2009, 16:33
Do they serve Mild round you?

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 16:35
Do they serve Mild round you?

no, from in front of me, thats how we do it in the Midlands :p

Conrad
11-09-2009, 16:37
:)

How can you get enough then?

Dave M
11-09-2009, 16:40
no, from in front of me, thats how we do it in the Midlands :p
Its ok for some. At the Rose & Crown in Wells they managed to serve a Bombardier over the front of me.

Thank goodness I'd only ordered a half.

Soup Dragon
11-09-2009, 16:47
Its ok for some. At the Rose & Crown in Wells they managed to serve a Bombardier over the front of me.

Thank goodness I'd only ordered a half.

They clearly took the name of the drink literally - however, its possibly the best way to enjoy bombardier:eek:

Conrad
14-09-2009, 12:26
And if only it were just the barmaid who has a reputation for pouring drinks on you.

Dave M
14-09-2009, 16:16
They clearly took the name of the drink literally - however, its possibly the best way to enjoy bombardier:eek:
Good point, it is certainly not usually my first choice, but it is ok.

When they poured me another it was at least on the house rather than on my trousers, but I'd rather not make a habit of paying for pints that way.

And if only it were just the barmaid who has a reputation for pouring drinks on you.
This is true, but at least it is always out of sheer incompetence rather than any intent. Some people really just can't 'hold' their drink!

Soup Dragon
15-09-2009, 08:34
Hey, Dave - which footy team do you follow by the way?

Dave M
15-09-2009, 10:22
I'm a Bristol City fan too. So I also suffer the shame of not drinking cider these days.

Me and Conrad go to most home games together. Except for the odd occasion, for example when Conrad books a weekend away in Tenby without consulting the all important fixture list first. ;)

Conrad
15-09-2009, 11:16
I'm sorry, it's all my wife's fault.

Soup Dragon
22-09-2009, 16:27
do you ever do away games?

Dave M
22-09-2009, 20:06
I have to admit that in the 20 years (almost to the day*) since I started going to Bristol City matches I've only ever been to one away match. A rather unglamorous league match at the lovely Griffin Park - the only league ground with a pub at every corner I believe, I really ought to check to see if we list all 4!

*My first game was a 2-1 win at home to Shrewsbury on September 26th 1989. I missed the winning goal because I left early. Never made that mistake again!

Oggwyn Trench
22-09-2009, 22:41
I have to admit that in the 20 years (almost to the day*) since I started going to Bristol City matches I've only ever been to one away match. A rather unglamorous league match at the lovely Griffin Park - the only league ground with a pub at every corner I believe, I really ought to check to see if we list all 4!

*My first game was a 2-1 win at home to Shrewsbury on September 26th 1989. I missed the winning goal because I left early. Never made that mistake again!

As a Shrewsbury fan am i allowed to swear ?
As for my favorites , i am deeply in love with Betty Stoggs , though you cant get it around here so i make do with Salopian Gold , Hobsons Best and the like .
I love Mild as well , Highgate dark , Holdens or Bankss.
Lager , Alfa or Mythos it means im in Greece
Cider , the real stuff , Frome Valley or Westons organic are current favorites
Ogg

Dave M
22-09-2009, 23:00
As a Shrewsbury fan am i allowed to swear ?
As for my favorites , i am deeply in love with Betty Stoggs

Oops, yeah I think you are allowed to swear! I was avidly watching the 2007 League Two play off final hoping for a win for the Shrews though, was very disappointed with that one. Very unlucky again last season as well.

I've never actually tried Betty Stoggs - as far as I recall anyway - will give it a go when I'm in Cornwall in a couple of weeks.

Oggwyn Trench
22-09-2009, 23:08
Betty Stoggs is bloody gorgeous , of to Oxford for a few days in October , they serve it in the Lamb and Flag , which just happens to be one of my wifes favorite places to spend a lazy afternoon , Damn .......:D

Soup Dragon
23-09-2009, 08:54
The great Griffen Park - i went there once to see Notts County beat Brentford 3-2 a few years ago now.

Hi Trench,

Nice to see you drop by. I am just heading up your way to Bridgnorth as its my mates birthday - so off to the Railwayman's Arms et al. Not back till tomorrow. Happy days!

Conrad
23-09-2009, 12:40
Yeah I was along for the Brentford match, it was some hospitality we were getting off a company we did some work for, amusingly the guy who took us was a Watford fan so a complete neutral. The match was being played under the (IMO) rather dire Tinnion management, the guy who took us turned round during the match and asked why our manager was taking off the only player who seemed to be any good on our side. One of those 'I only wish I knew' moments.

I have had to ask Dave to remind me what the first match I saw was, and even after he has told me I can't remember it, but apparently it was a 1-2 home loss to Stoke back in 2000, scary to think I have been following them for more than a decade though. If I remember it rightly Dave was a stay at home fan at that point and I suggested we go and watch a match to try and do something before going out for a drink on Saturday. Sadly I soon became hooked and within a couple of years was a season ticket holder:). How the times change, now it is a case of escaping from under the thumb before going back to do the washing up, I miss my Saturday night binges:p.

I have actually also been to see us win away at Tranmere, my Dad used to live in Birkenhead so I went to watch a match in the Home end with his neighbours and had to subdue my celebrations.

Oggwyn Trench
23-09-2009, 22:07
The great Griffen Park - i went there once to see Notts County beat Brentford 3-2 a few years ago now.

Hi Trench,

Nice to see you drop by. I am just heading up your way to Bridgnorth as its my mates birthday - so off to the Railwayman's Arms et al. Not back till tomorrow. Happy days!

You lucky sod ! the Railwaymans is one of my favorites , Bathams out of wooden casks , not even the weirdos in anoraks spoil the place .
I have the same problem as you though , last bus home is 19,10...... bugger

Dave M
23-09-2009, 23:47
If I remember it rightly Dave was a stay at home fan at that point and I suggested we go and watch a match to try and do something before going out for a drink on Saturday.
Yes, I hadn't really been since around '93, I lost heart after we suffered a series of thrashings - including 4-0 at Twerton Rovers :eek:

Soup Dragon
24-09-2009, 16:20
You lucky sod ! the Railwaymans is one of my favorites , Bathams out of wooden casks , not even the weirdos in anoraks spoil the place .
I have the same problem as you though , last bus home is 19,10...... bugger

Mate, absolute class - and the Black Horse has got Bathams and now Holden's MILD in

Got there at 12, had to leave at 5 and was so merry, i had to go back to the Tettenhall pubs we did when we got off the bus, as i couldnt read my writing.

I want Shropshire CC to open a Bridgnorth Archives and Local History Centre and appoint me as its archivist.

Oggwyn Trench
24-09-2009, 18:06
Love Bridgenorth , so many good pubs , so much good beer , even the local cricket/hockey club has a good rep for cask ales .

arwkrite
25-09-2009, 10:06
Now things are a little quieter perhaps I can do a little introduction which may also explain my odd way writing reviews and curious choice in pubs.

Born in Walsall, Teens spent in Shropshire, a little bit in Gloucester, the last almost forty years in Herefordshire.The early part in Police but the major part in heavy machining.Widowed ,I met my partner 15 yrs ago. She is now disabled by reason of Illness and wheelchair bound and I care for her full time.

The wheelchair and illness has affected our lives to a great extent. Small multi-level pubs areout. Big chain pubs are in because we know they have the facilities we need. I now mention wheelchair access,if I can recall it,in my reviews.Also I do not rate pubs because we now look at pubs differently than the able bodied. A pool table may be a plus point to some but an awkard obstacle for a wheel chair user.

I like to drink ales of about 4% upwards because the seem to have more body, no cider occasional premium lager,red wine , scotch, brandy or gin.
Also mild if Historian is buying.

Must go now to the land of Quickfit and get some new tyres fitted.Catch you later

Conrad
25-09-2009, 11:56
Hi arwkrite,

Thanks for the introduction. I am interested that you mention wheelchair access. Should we be allowing some sort of indicator against the pubs that they are wheelchair friendly?

We have noticed it is something that Philip Carter (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo.php?name=arthurish) often comments on as well, and have previously wondered about this.

Cheers

Conrad

Soup Dragon
25-09-2009, 12:31
Also mild if Historian is buying.

What, on an archivist's wage?

Conrad
25-09-2009, 12:42
What, on an archivist's wage?
Good point, make that 2 pints ;).

Farway
25-09-2009, 13:28
Although able bodied I mention if toilets or other facilities are up steps / stairs

I think as non wheelchair user it may difficult to judge if a place is wheelchair friendly or not, obviously loads of steps to climb is not, as is graveled car park I assume, but would we spot perhaps narrow doorways, sharp turns in corridor to loo. lack of space between tables etc?

Conrad
25-09-2009, 14:57
Although able bodied I mention if toilets or other facilities are up steps / stairs

I think as non wheelchair user it may difficult to judge if a place is wheelchair friendly or not, obviously loads of steps to climb is not, as is graveled car park I assume, but would we spot perhaps narrow doorways, sharp turns in corridor to loo. lack of space between tables etc?
Yep, you certainly pick out a valuable point.

Apologies in advance for this, but I am about to out something relating to one of your reviews that we didn't actually tell you about at the time.

One of your reviews for a pub that will remain nameless (and indeed I can't actually remember the name at this time). Complained to us about one of your reviews, apparently their car park wasn't small (as in fact could be seen by the picture you had kindly left) and there wasn't a step required to go to the toilet, although he did kindly point out there was a step to get into the pub from either entrance:confused:.

As they basically confirmed your information we refused to remove the review but offered to forward on the email so that you could make your own decision. He then tried to force us to drop the review claiming you had breached our terms and conditions. Given we don't have the resources to play that game we decided the best option was to blacklist the pub (stops it being re-added).

Anyway - the point of mentioning that is that some landlords (I do believe the tiny minority) will say anything to try and gain custom, even if the custom clearly doesn't want to use their venue.

It is an interesting one, I certainly think it is valuable information and possibly should be included in any reviewing guidelines we put up.

Farway - PM me if you want me to obscure this or give you any more information, I am being presumptious in attaching your name.

arwkrite
26-09-2009, 09:41
Thank You All for your replies.

We appreciate that many pub buildings are old and difficult to adapt.Sadly it is this type of pub we love but we are realistic about access . I am not the type who pickets pubs demanding disabled access.
Modern pubs are often chain owned and we find the disabled facilities exist but their position clashes with other amenities. TV screens,games machines, tables and chairs placed close to disabled toilets are a nightmare. I do not argue the point of these being in pubs just the lack of thought of where they are placed. Customers are usually very good when we require them to move but their game, viewing, meal or drink is interrupted. Numerous times I have seen young families park their pushchairs in front of the disabled toilet and spread bags and children across the floor.They colonise upto three or four tables.I find these are often mouthy and reqire the attention of the pub manager which leads to a stressfull visit.

Full marks to JDWs, Marstons and G K who provide some of the best facilities but all are guilty of poor layout design and positioning of other amenities.

A word to the bar staff.Please DON'T hand over the RADAR key to none disabled customers. They tend to leave the door open for their idle mates who urinate over the toilet seat and floor, probabley in much the sameway as they do at home.

Rant Over....Have a nice day and get some in.

Conrad
26-09-2009, 19:02
All interesting stuff, I think for the moment then I will try and remember to add that one to the review guidelines when we get there, thanks a lot for all the feedback on disabled access.

Rant Over....Have a nice day and get some in.

Bristol City clearly weren't following your advice :mad:

Farway
27-09-2009, 15:31
One good thing about Richard's post ref wheelchairs, set me, and I assume others, thinking about mentioning facilities if spotted

So Richard, should you ever get to Southsea again, do take a trip to the White Horse, just been in there this weekend, and in light of your posts noted disabled access etc

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59788/

I will keep an eye out in future

Perhaps in longer term the pub review could have sort of keys, car parking, wheelchairs, food, draught hand pulled ales, and possibly even a spewing parrot to denote MILD sold?

arwkrite
27-09-2009, 19:40
Thank you Farway for your post and your interest. Me and the mrs sometimes stay at the Inn Keepers Lodge ,Hillsea if she spots a special offer. We like the seaside, the ships and the sense of history.Portsmouth/ Southsea has all that and good places to drink besides.
Having a wheelchair is abit like having an unusual make of car. Until you have one you dont realise how many of them are about.
Regards...Richard Arwkrite...wheelchair pusher to the nobility.:)

Delboy20
27-09-2009, 20:18
Hi all.

OK then now a bit about me....

Lager, Mild, Bitter or Cider ?? Can I have all 4 ?? I was brought up on Banks Mild (Although I prefered Hansons) but I drink mainly lager these days with a few real ales for good measure - depending on the pub.

For me its more about the pub than what drink I have so I don't have a particular favourite pub. I am on a personal mission to visit every pub I can. If I see one I haven't been in I have to go in no matter what it looks like.

Pub crawl ? Well any town I haven't been to will do so I can go in as many new pubs as possible !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 08:45
Welcome Delboy -

Yes, Banks's MILD - class, and I lament the passing of Hansons as well. Did i read you were from Stourbridge? a place soon to be on our radar. I have done Lye - Windsor and the Shovel are great places.

So basically, you drink anything and go anywhere!

arwkrite
28-09-2009, 09:44
I visited The Horn and Trumpet, Worcester last Friday afternoon ,JDWs was stacked out, for a refresher.This pub was known as a lager house but now gets some good guest ales in and they keep them well.
They had Banks Mild,Bitter and a Wytchwood brew called Merrie Maid. The chap in front of me ordered Banks Bitter so I thought I will go with that ,it will be afresh pint.. Well what a Cracker. It has been a long time since I had such a Bostin Pint ( in fact I had two )I could have tried emptying the barrel. Banks is a much maligned brewer amongst the microbrew fans but they must have sprinkled this barrel with stardust.
I dont expect every pint of Banks to taste this good, I have been drinking it and Pedigree far to long to expect miracles. How this barrel escaped from the brewery I do not know but I am glad I was there when it was finally caught.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 10:18
I love it, Mr A, when you talk of the midlands, as the bostin's start to flow

You are going to have to have a day up in Walsallshire with me mate, visit the Black Country Arms, Fountain, Butts Tavern, White Lion, Victoria, Lyndon Hotel.........

bet you i can make you run out of bostins by the end of the night! - if so, we move to Birchills and Bloxwich!

arwkrite
28-09-2009, 10:59
Mr H, read your review on the Imperial JDW, Walsall. Back in the 50s I was a choirboy at St.Pauls Church, which I now believe is a community centre, opposite. I was taken to see The Crimson Pirate , The Dambusters, Tommy Steele Story and a whole lot more by my sisters. I now know why they always had a boy in tow, but who cares I got taken to the pictures.
I remember some pubs but not many as the family left for Clun ,Shropshire.That was a culture shock for us as well as the locals. Our milk came from Midland Counties Dairy I had no idea cows were part of the production process let alone seen one.

It was Shrewsbury I had my first pint and the town I really love for pubs despite my boring everybody with tales of corporate vandalism during the 70s>80s.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 11:12
St Paul's is a shopping centre, with an active chapel still, also has meeting rooms etc - did a talk there a few months back, to the Walsall Civic Society

Clun is a nice little place - castle with twin bailey if i remember - i think one is a bowling green now!

I am just off to the Guildhall - now Sophias, for an Italian to celebrate mom's birthday - right next to the Black Country Arms - which i am sure i may pop into for a swifty - then rate - happy days

Delboy20
28-09-2009, 20:23
Welcome Delboy -

Yes, Banks's MILD - class, and I lament the passing of Hansons as well. Did i read you were from Stourbridge? a place soon to be on our radar. I have done Lye - Windsor and the Shovel are great places.

So basically, you drink anything and go anywhere!

Hi Historian,

Drink anything and go anywhere just about sums me up.

I'm actually from Cradley Heath / Quarry Bonk (sorry, bank !) but I know Stourbridge and Lye very well.

By the way I have been in the Black Country Arms in Walsall but I used it more often as the Green Dragon !!

Cheers,

Del.

Soup Dragon
28-09-2009, 21:42
Hi Historian,

Drink anything and go anywhere just about sums me up.

I'm actually from Cradley Heath / Quarry Bonk (sorry, bank !) but I know Stourbridge and Lye very well.

By the way I have been in the Black Country Arms in Walsall but I used it more often as the Green Dragon !!

Cheers,

Del.

Have a read of my Lye reports, mate - i would be interested on your views - especially The Malt Shovel - i thought it was top notch

Delboy20
01-10-2009, 20:29
Had some good times down the Lye over the years. The Shovel is a quality pub - It was in our local paper a couple of years back about a wall of 650 beer badges. I still have the cutting !!! Sad or what !!!
I used to drink in the Railway and the Noahs Ark (now the Hadcroft) in the early nineties. Both a bit rough then but I liked them. There was a good pub called The Swan With Two Necks as well. Long gone now.
Have you ever drunk in Cradley Heath ? or Quarry Bank ?

Cheers,

Del.

Soup Dragon
02-10-2009, 12:55
Not as yet, Squire, but i will get around to them eventually - just too much to do and so little time. I will of course be seeking your opinions when i come to do the 'Bonk', Cradely and i assume places like Halesowen and Stourbridge:)

Eddie86
02-10-2009, 20:12
Evening all.

I'm a young publican that looks after the day to day running of an Inn for my parents. I've been in the trade since glass collecting at 13, working my way up in pub grub kitchens until 18 when I hit the bar. So to speak :D

I'm an ale nut - on my monthly/three-weekly day off I take a trip down to the local brewery and brew some beer. February should in theory see the installation of a 2 barrel micro-brewery in the pub along with the bar going from 5 to 12 handpumps (2 cider, 1 perry, 9 ale). Obviously depending upon no kitchen equipment decided to have a break.

I used to use another website similar to this, but recently have got fed up with unsolicited ratings/reviews on the pub, along with fun and games in the forum. I plan to be a bit more low-key here, but still join in when I feel a view from the other side of the bar may be useful/fun/thought-stirring

Ed

Edit: Favourite Bitter - recently tried Fullers ESB for the first time, but on the whole Dorothy Goodbody's Stout for me
Favourite Mild - Hobson's Mild is delicious, but Breconshire's Welsh Pale Ale is a pale mild, at 3.7% that hits the spot on warmer days
Favourite Cider - I'd probably say Dunkerton's Black Fox. You bloody know about it the next day though! On draught can't beat a black rat
Favourite Lager - I haven't drunk lager since leaving Uni, but Grolsch used to hit the spot. I'd probably cheat and say Leffe nowadays though

Favourite Pub - Obviously my own ;) I took a 3 day break over to Norfolk which allowed me a day in the Fat Cat in Norwich. I was blown away - staff, locals, beers, everything was faultless

Favourite Crawl - I'm afraid to say I haven't done a real ale crawl before - I don't get a great deal of time off. Birmingham was nice when I went to a trade show recently - there was a pub like a crypt underneath an hotel, and a short walk away a Fullers Ale and Pie house, with their complete range on offer.

Conrad
02-10-2009, 21:22
Hi Eddie86,

First of all welcome to Pubs Galore, we are really glad to have you :).

Thanks for the introduction, that is really interesting.

Please do feel free to contribute your views on how to improve the site. We are really interested to hear from publicans to try and understand how we can improve. Long term our hope is that we can offer publicans an enhanced service on PG to subsidise the site for the users, we want to make it more robust first so that there is something worth offering. To do this though we are clearly going to have to hear what they need off us so that we can do it right (whilst not compromising the experience for the non-publican users of the site).

I notice you haven't mentioned your pub, if it is for anonymity that is great. Equally feel free to promote yourself, so far the only real rule on the forum is to stay friendly, anyone contributing to the community should feel free to promote their services.

Hope you enjoy your time here,

Conrad

arwkrite
02-10-2009, 22:43
Welcome Eddie its good to have you here. Sorry to hear the trolls have got at you. There are plenty of us who know how passionate you are about your beer and bar.We know the snide remarks for what they are ...Rubbish. It may be a little quiet here at the moment but it ain't a three ringed circus.

Glad the plans for your micro brewery are coming along at a pace and I really must try to visit your neck of the woods. My mrs thinks the M5 is the gateway to the world so its difficult to turn right at the bottom of our road.

Again, glad to have you aboard.

Best Regards .....Richard.

Soup Dragon
03-10-2009, 00:37
hi Ed

i did leave a message in beer festivals thread asking how the Kilverts got on in your recent bash, but you may not have seen it. I think we all lament happenings on other sites, but at the moment PG remains t*at free and the admin guys actually like us (though i dont know why!). Hope you stick around. i notice the latest idiot to have ago, and sympathise. As i said to you before, i am a big book buyer, so will be down to Hay soon and will do a visit!

Soup Dragon
03-10-2009, 00:39
By the way, have you seen Early Doors?

Conrad
03-10-2009, 00:49
Historian,

We are just trying to woo you in then we will tell you what we really think of you :p.

As to Early Doors the Royal Mail are currently enjoying my copy, I understand Bristol is second only to London in terms of the backlog of mail being caused by the current strikes.

Soup Dragon
03-10-2009, 00:51
Naaaah, Sonny Jim, they have delivered your copy to me - happy days, i can flog it for a fiver!

can you change my name in the reviews to The Archivist - sort of like miss my old name!

Conrad
03-10-2009, 01:29
Naaaah, Sonny Jim, they have delivered your copy to me - happy days, i can flog it for a fiver!

can you change my name in the reviews to The Archivist - sort of like miss my old name!
PM sent, if I do solve it can I have my DVDs please.

Soup Dragon
03-10-2009, 10:01
you get series 1, as i only half done - PM sent

Conrad
03-10-2009, 12:59
In conclusion to this the artist formerly known as Historian now wishes to be known as The Archivist. Hopefully that shouldn't confuse anyone too much.

Farway
03-10-2009, 15:12
In conclusion to this the artist formerly known as Historian now wishes to be known as The Archivist. Hopefully that shouldn't confuse anyone too much.

Does he have a silly sign we have to use as well? :)

Soup Dragon
04-10-2009, 13:07
yes, its a quill and ink bottle - or do you think thats too pretentious?

arwkrite
04-10-2009, 13:20
Progress is wonderful. I am still blowing soot on cave walls. Thats Herefordshire for you.

Soup Dragon
04-10-2009, 19:03
Progress is wonderful. I am still blowing soot on cave walls. Thats Herefordshire for you.

That is amazing, as i didn't know Herefordshire had any caves!

Eddie86
04-10-2009, 21:49
Of course Herefordshire has caves! Have you not met someone from Herefordshire?

:eek::D:p

Soup Dragon
04-10-2009, 23:55
errr - Mr A, by reputation and the custodian of Goodrich Castle, that maybe it!

arwkrite
05-10-2009, 16:19
That is amazing, as i didn't know Herefordshire had any caves!

Mr Arch. they are mostly in the south of the county Symonds Yat,Doward caves and of course every place has to have a King Arthurs Cave.I am not sure about my neck of the woods.
I cannot draw mammoths though, you just cannot find a live one for love nor money.

Soup Dragon
05-10-2009, 16:31
A cave would be a 'des res' in places by me!

Oggwyn Trench
05-10-2009, 17:03
Bloxwich the Florence of the Midlands:rolleyes:

Soup Dragon
05-10-2009, 22:56
indeed, its the cultural capital of the Walsall Borough - i love Bloko

arwkrite
06-10-2009, 09:29
My sister used speak "posh" Bloxwich, ( where all the aitches are in the wrong place) cause she owned a bungalow and a Rover 2000 there. Sis was one of the first women Registrars, Walsall I think. The "trolleys" ran along the bottom of the road where she lived.

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 10:17
That would be the nicked trolleys from the Asda, Mr A, or the light blue trolley buses?

Yes, posh Bloko sees the use of Yam, changed to Yaam (like Ma'am)

So it becomes 'Yaam al-rite, mate?'

Bloko was the first real pub crawl i did, it remains entrenched in my heart.

As an ex-Brownhills chap - i went to the Wheel last night - closed, did the black cock inn and brickmakers arms and the railway at Pelsall - enjoyable night, especially as the villa didnt lose.

arwkrite
06-10-2009, 13:39
Trolley buses and Trams ..Walsall had them both at one time, but being the forward thinking council they were, they got rid of them.
Now everybody wants them because they have green credentials.
I lived in Brownhills once long ago, Lyndon Road /Clay Hangar road junction. Are you sure you are not my long lost brother who I once gave 5 to run away? If so I want me money back.:)

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 13:46
Thats where i parked last night!

and no, i never saw a fiver till i was in my 20s

Oggwyn Trench
06-10-2009, 18:25
My good lady despite being a Shropshire Lass spent 13 years living in Sedgley , so after chatting to her best mate who`s from the Cannock/Walsall area i cant understand a word she says .

Delboy20
06-10-2009, 20:38
As an ex-Brownhills chap - i went to the Wheel last night - closed, did the black cock inn and brickmakers arms and the railway at Pelsall - enjoyable night, especially as the villa didnt lose.

A decent game and probably a fair result. I made my first visit to "The Lad In The Lane" Erdington. Nice pub. Went in a couple more in Erdington and the King Edward before the match.

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 20:50
My good lady despite being a Shropshire Lass spent 13 years living in Sedgley , so after chatting to her best mate who`s from the Cannock/Walsall area i cant understand a word she says .

You cant understand each other? sounds like most relationships to me, Squire:D

Soup Dragon
06-10-2009, 20:53
A decent game and probably a fair result. I made my first visit to "The Lad In The Lane" Erdington. Nice pub. Went in a couple more in Erdington and the King Edward before the match.

I lived in Hodge Hill, more or less next door to Erdington - the Lad in the Lane is alleged to be quite an old place, but i have not been in there, shame to say. Done several places in Erdington, but in my 20s and the Ed, yes, been years since i was in there. I will start to work on the Brum pubs again soon - hope you rated them DB - or where you too embaressed with the lads around you!

arwkrite
06-10-2009, 23:46

Although I left the Walsall area in '62 my accent is still noticeable. I was married to a lady from West Bromwich for 17 yrs and 15 yrs with my present lady from Halesowen. I never had a chance to perfect a cut glass accent. My Midland friends think I talk with a Welsh lilt. The locals here think I am Brummie caravaner down for the summer.Stick my occassional stammer in and Hey Presto... Boo Hoo ...Nobody understands me . Better put in for some counselling just as long as its before opening time.:D

oldboots
15-10-2009, 11:02
Thanks for the tip Conrad, I'll post this in Your Favourites instead of "hello", maybe this thread needs to be a sticky?

Ok a very potted biog, and to answer Archivist's original question some of my favourites.

Born in Glasgow when there were still trams but lived in Hampshire for a long time, also in Hertfordshire and London, I now live in North Yorkshire although I work all over the north of England and sometimes in Scotland. Definitely curmudgeonly although I'm pleased to see some fellow Black Adder, Early Doors and IT Crowd fans on here.

BITTER currently Copper Dragon Golden Pippin even though it's a golden ale not a bitter, for a real bitter I like Young's Special or, locally Black Sheep, and anything from Roosters or York Brewery is usually good. I cut my drinking teeth on Gales HSB.

MILD don't see much round our way not even the award winning Rudgate Ruby Mild, I do like Moorhouses Black Cat and Thwaites Nutty Black. Oddly for a darker ale drinker Archivist doesn't mention Stouts and Porters of which there are some really fine brews, Meantime London Porter or Young's Double Chocolate for example.

CIDER much prefer a really sharp dry perry but I had some stuff in Bristol many years ago which stripped a layer of plastic off the inside of the container we'd carried it home in, the name Rich's comes to mind but I could be wrong.

LAGER Pilsner Urquell, or the proper Budvar-Budweiser, I'm also very partial to Belgian and German wheat beers, and the Trappist beers which the uninitiated sometimes call lager or even larger. The Scots call it laagar.

PUB - The Maltings in York, great beers, quirky interior and punters, close to the railway station and National Railway Museum.

PUB TOWN not an easy question, York or Sheffield's beer valley or Edinburgh or Manchester or Dale St in Liverpool are all fun to drink in put on the spot a Dale St pub crawl would be top.

Football whisper it softly but it's almost a closed book to me - I will watch it if it's on in the pub I'm drinking in, I don't follow any particular team not even a national one, legacy of a Glasgow childhood along with the bad teeth I suppose. Not sure which team I would support anyway given my semi-nomadic life and family allegiances all over the place including Brum. Aston Villa anyone? ;)

Farway
15-10-2009, 11:07
Hi Old boots, where abouts in Hampshire were you? Could be local to where I am, as I see you mention HSB, and I am only a mile or so from the H bit where it was brewed, now sadly closed by Fullers and up for sale and development

oldboots
15-10-2009, 11:20
Hi Farway

I lived in Romsey on the other side of the county, but we were very close to the unique Gales pub the Newport Inn at Braishfield. I also used to use the Baytree in Southampton a lot when I was at college and had my first pint of HSB in there in 1975 or 6. My local was the Tudor Rose in Romsey. I moved away from Hampshire for the last time in 2000 but sometimes go back for work. I did manage a trip round the old Gales brewery long before they sold out.

Conrad
15-10-2009, 12:23
Thanks for the tip Conrad, I'll post this in Your Favourites instead of "hello", maybe this thread needs to be a sticky?
Stuck now, if I'm honest I am not a fan of Stickie's and this thread is a little rambling, but you are not wrong that we need to keep attention on it (That is me pre-emptively putting in an excuse for making the thread come unstuck).

CIDER much prefer a really sharp dry perry but I had some stuff in Bristol many years ago which stripped a layer of plastic off the inside of the container we'd carried it home in, the name Rich's comes to mind but I could be wrong.
Me and Dave actually met at UWE (Bristol Poly) on a chemistry degree, given the city's reputation for Cider one of the much cited experiments was to do an IR spec of some of the local ciders. According to tradition they had a rather large spike of Meths in them where they were being brewed a little cavelierly, hence the reputation for bad hangovers. I doubt they would get away with it these days, if it was ever true, certainly made for an amusing practical application though.

legacy of a Glasgow childhood
I can certainly understand not commiting to a team :eek:, scary derby's.

aleandhearty
15-10-2009, 15:41
Your favourite........

Pub town - where would you go for a crawl if he was generous and gave you a night's drinking

Oh God. Decisions, decisions. Today they are:

Bitter: Oakham 'Bishops Farewell'
Lager: What's that? Oh OK then- Harviestoun 'Schiehallion'.
Mild: Fernandes 'Malt Shovel Mild'
Cider: No idea. Something by Westons?
Pub: Fernandes Brewery Tap, Wakefield.
Town: Sheffield- for 'The Valley of Beer' crawl.

Soup Dragon
15-10-2009, 15:57
and we expect a new report tomorrow a&h!

aleandhearty
15-10-2009, 16:07
and we expect a new report tomorrow a&h!
Be careful what you wish for!

nogoodboyo
17-10-2009, 15:01
OK chaps, here goes.
Bitter...Tomos Watkin OSB. re Sharp's, they are using new equipment in their Rock brewery, which might account for the change in Doom Bar.
Mild...Rhymney Dark
Lager...Herold Pivovar, Czech Black Lager ( I do like normal lager, but not Stella, which is brewed in Newport.
Cider...despite starting my like in beer on Woodpecker, nowadays I only use cider for cooking.
Pub... The Star in Talybont on Usk, Powys
Crawl...Liverpool ( but really I think it's about who you are with)
... how does that grab you all?

Eddie86
17-10-2009, 17:39
Well the Star has it's beer festival this weekend, which from the sounds of it is going very well. It's a great pub, and won CAMRA POTY Gold this year (The Boar in Brecon got silver and Kilverts in Hay Bronze). Rhymney dark I completely agree with, although in general I prefer their Export ale.

Nice to have someone else from the area around - welcome :D

hopwas
29-10-2009, 17:43
Right..

Bitter.. My top choice would be Banks Original (not Banks Bitter) and any from Titanic Brewery or Tunnel Brewery

Mild.. Dont drink

Lager.. you having laugh? Next

Cider.. i have soft spot for Kroppenberg (sp?) especially Cherry and mixed berry flavours

Pub.. The White Lion, Tamworth and Queens Head, Lichfield

Crawl.. always enjoyed crawling in Birmingham and Lichfield

Soup Dragon
29-10-2009, 21:20
Right..

Bitter.. My top choice would be Banks Original (not Banks Bitter) and any from Titanic Brewery or Tunnel Brewery

Mild.. Dont drink

Lager.. you having laugh? Next

Cider.. i have soft spot for Kroppenberg (sp?) especially Cherry and mixed berry flavours

Pub.. The White Lion, Tamworth and Queens Head, Lichfield

Crawl.. always enjoyed crawling in Birmingham and Lichfield

Banks's Original is MILD! Queens Head is class, as is Digbeth and Hockley in Brum. Good choices, Sir

hopwas
29-10-2009, 21:28
Banks's Original is MILD! Queens Head is class, as is Digbeth and Hockley in Brum. Good choices, Sir

Ohhhhh... drank Banks Original for years and always thought it was bitter! My bad!

Anyway.. yeah The Black Eagle in Hockley is cracking pub. The Anchor in Digbeth is also superb. But greatest pub in Brum goes to The Wellington.. 15 or so real ale on pump! Always first choice whenever i go to Brum :glass:

Soup Dragon
29-10-2009, 21:38
Ohhhhh... drank Banks Original for years and always thought it was bitter! My bad!

Anyway.. yeah The Black Eagle in Hockley is cracking pub. The Anchor in Digbeth is also superb. But greatest pub in Brum goes to The Wellington.. 15 or so real ale on pump! Always first choice whenever i go to Brum :glass:

Never quite got on with the Wellington, so not left a report as yet. I have to re-do all of the Hockley and Digbeth for reports on PG, so looking forward to that - Black Eagle is class, but prefer the Swan to Anchor in Diggy, the Anchor seems to have gone down a bit recently

hopwas
29-10-2009, 21:41
Never quite got on with the Wellington, so not left a report as yet. I have to re-do all of the Hockley and Digbeth for reports on PG, so looking forward to that - Black Eagle is class, but prefer the Swan to Anchor in Diggy, the Anchor seems to have gone down a bit recently

I thought Swan has closed for years.. last went was in 2001 with my late friend. I remember they had minton tiles on the front of bar.. similar to Black Eagle.

How come you never got on with Wellington? :confused:

Soup Dragon
29-10-2009, 21:43
How come you never got on with Wellington? :confused:

I am miserable and dont like people - it gets too crowded, many beers seem flat, its expensive, and I hate seeing people get laptops out - its like a yuppie (80s, i know) real ale bar at times - other times its great

hence, cant make up mind!

hopwas
29-10-2009, 21:54
I am miserable and dont like people - it gets too crowded, many beers seem flat, its expensive, and I hate seeing people get laptops out - its like a yuppie (80s, i know) real ale bar at times - other times its great

hence, cant make up mind!

Just ignore the surroundings and let enjoy your beer. Simple eh? Oh yeah I quite liked their live-in cat.. sometimes sleeping on bar stool! Also Wellington is unique among Brum pubs as you CAN bring your own food, Chinese or Indian takeaway or fish chips etc..

Soup Dragon
29-10-2009, 21:58
will write comment after next visit, so it could go either way! i am sure you wont lose any sleep over it though:D

arwkrite
29-10-2009, 23:12
Welcome Soupdragon, he of the Clanger Nation. Seeing you are a midlander I dropped you a PM. Hope you got it as my connection keeps dropping off. Must see the doctor about that. Windows just told me I have an IP address error. Probably fascinating if I knew what it was.

Arthurish
04-12-2009, 08:51
Hope it's not too late but here is my choice:

Mild- No idea, haven't tried enough to have an opinion
Bitter- Tiger Bitter, can't remember who brews it, used to drink it whilst watching the Rugby
Cider- Chucklehead Cider, usually get it at the Lambeth Country Show
Lager - Only if someone else paid for it

Pub - Any in the countryside of Wiltshire, that will ban the Grim Reaper as he has a weapon

Crawl - Devizes probably, lots of pubs in the square and close to the brewery.

Thanks

Arthurish

oldboots
04-12-2009, 09:11
It's never too late to discuss anything on this forum,

Tiger is brewed by Everards of Leicestershire (unless you mean the one from the far east :D)

Don't tell Soup Dragon about the MILD :p

Conrad
04-12-2009, 13:09
Hope it's not too late but here is my choice:
Hi Arthurish,

Never too late to post, good to have you back as well, as someone who has been contributing to the forums for many years.

Soup Dragon
04-12-2009, 14:20
It's never too late to discuss anything on this forum,

Tiger is brewed by Everards of Leicestershire (unless you mean the one from the far east :D)

Don't tell Soup Dragon about the MILD :p

Hi Arthurish - it's never too late to try MILD, never mind post on the forum! - Everards did do a MILD, as well - though it seems to have disappeared off their radar.

Chucklehead Cider is a great name, its usually the effect that cider has when i drink it - DaveMc loves it though, don't you Dave?:love:

Dave M
04-12-2009, 15:03
Chucklehead Cider is a great name, its usually the effect that cider has when i drink it - DaveMc loves it though, don't you Dave?:love:

Hmmm, I would do if it just made me chuckle.

I'm not sure Chuckhead Cider would sell so well.

Soup Dragon
04-12-2009, 15:16
Hmmm, I would do if it just made me chuckle.

I'm not sure Chuckhead Cider would sell so well.

i think we need a barfing emoticon, chaps

Conrad
04-12-2009, 15:37
i think we need a barfing emoticon, chaps
I'm worried if we do we might be banned for promoting binge drinking ;)

Soup Dragon
04-12-2009, 15:39
I'm worried if we do we might be banned for promoting binge drinking ;)

we do - but only on real ale:D - or, of course, MILD:love:

and NO twigs:moremad::twigs:

Conrad
04-12-2009, 15:51
we do - but only on real ale:D - or, of course, MILD:love:

and NO twigs:moremad::twigs:
Somehow the combination of those 2 smilies looks like some sort of lynching smiley. :)

Soup Dragon
04-12-2009, 16:32
Somehow the combination of those 2 smilies looks like some sort of lynching smiley. :)

you have a warped mind......... but i like it

:cheers::drinkup::sick::nishelypished:

Wanted to get first use of them! - it sort of tells the story of Dave and cider - the drink is even cider colour!

Conrad
04-12-2009, 16:43
I think the thing that disturbs me most is that you are fluent enough with our smilies that you can spot the new ones despite not knowing how many I injected, and that I had changed their order.

Soup Dragon
04-12-2009, 16:48
you do me an injustice - three of the four of them move and the other is a big green pea looking thing (a bit like hoppy, after his Sutton trip) - it isnt that hard, mate!

:cheers:

Conrad
04-12-2009, 17:00
Yeah I have to admit I can't resist the moving ones when I am looking for new smilies to add, sadly the projectile vomit ones seemed a little too much although this one: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick029.gif definitely got points for grossness

Eddie86
04-12-2009, 17:52
At the risk of bringing the thread back on track, given that nominations are now needed by Camra branches for winter beer festival award winning beer nominations, perhaps each of us could name and shame our favourite of the following:

Old Ales and Strong Milds
Barley Wine
Stout
Porter

Criteria are as follows:

Old Ales/Strong milds
Typically black or dark brown but can be paler. Old Ales are full bodied with a malty richness. Fermentation characters such as fruity estery flavours should contribute to the flavour profile but considerable variation can occur within the style. Strong milds may be richer in caramel, or have a light roast malt character in aroma and taste.Original gravity: 1040 to less than 1065
Typical alcohol by volume: 4.0-6.5%
Final gravity 1008-1020
Bitterness 30-50 EBU

PORTERS
Porters are complex in flavour and are typically black or dark brown. The darkness comes from the use of dark malts, unlike stouts, which use roasted barley. Porters should have a full mouthfeel and a pronounced finish through bitter hoppingOriginal gravity: 1040 to 1065
Typical alcohol by volume: 4.0-6.5%
Final gravity 1008-1018Bitterness 20-50 EBU

STOUTS
Stouts are typically black. Dry stouts have an initial malt and caramel flavour with a distinctive dry roast bitterness in the finish. The dry roast character is achieved by use of roasted barley, which dominates the flavour profile, often preventing other flavours from appearing. Some astringency and a medium to rich mouthfeel are appropriate. Sweet stouts are distinctively sweet in taste and aftertaste through the use of lactose and may have a cloying body.Original gravity: 1040 to 1080
Typical alcohol by volume: 4.0-8.0%
Final gravity 1006-1020
Bitterness 30-50 EBU

BARLEY WINES
Strong Ales, range from amber to cop[per to tawny in colour, and may have a high reisidual sweetness, although some are fermented to dryness. Some fruit and ester may be evident, with a complexity of flavours, and some may be assertively hopped, but balance should obvious.
Original gravity: 1065 to 1120
Typical alcohol by volume: 6.5 - 12 .0%

hopwas
04-12-2009, 19:18
Hi Arthurish,

Never too late to post, good to have you back as well, as someone who has been contributing to the forums for many years.

How about me.. One of orginal posters way back early 2007? :D

Came back in here late 2009.

Must be some sort of PG's record?

hopwas
04-12-2009, 19:50
you do me an injustice - three of the four of them move and the other is a big green pea looking thing (a bit like hoppy, after his Sutton trip) - it isnt that hard, mate!

:cheers:

Hey! :moremad:..

Joking mate!

oldboots
05-12-2009, 11:48
At the risk of bringing the thread back on track, given that nominations are now needed by Camra branches for winter beer festival award winning beer nominations, perhaps each of us could name and shame our favourite of the following:

Old Ales and Strong Milds
Barley Wine
Stout
Porter

Not much of these kind of beers on draught round these parts, Golden Ales and Yorkshire Bitters being the predominating styles but I would go for:

Old Tom (filtered/bottled so CAMRA wouldn't have it in their awards) Rudgate Ruby Mild is pretty good though and it's from Yorkshire :cheers:.

Gales Prize Old Ale (if Fullers still make it, there are rumours)

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout (Barclays Imperial Russian Stout would have beaten all comers but it was last made in 1989 and it had an OG of 1105)

Fullers London Porter

Oggwyn Trench
05-12-2009, 13:38
Have not drunk barley wine for years and i dont see that many cask stouts about in these parts , as for the others
Sarah Hughes Old Ruby Mild is a great beer of any style
Six Bells Harry Porter is a lovelly smokey porter
If my memory is correct Eldridge Pope Thomas Hardy was a cracker of an old ale
Always fancied Whitbread 250th aniversary ale , it was the price of a good wine and recomended to be laid down for 20 years

Conrad
05-12-2009, 18:39
How about me.. One of orginal posters way back early 2007? :D

Came back in here late 2009.

Must be some sort of PG's record?
Calm down there, I was trying to both say hi to Arthurish and make him feel welcome, and also let the other forum members who are now regularly posting know that Arthurish has a long history of posting (December 2006 start) and correcting our records. Prior to the recent glut he probably held the record for most posts on the forum.

I am trying to make sure I welcome everyone to the forum now, something I have been remiss about in the past, and make sure they know I would welcome them posting again.

I'm guessing everyone here knows you already ;) so I will refrain from introducing you every time someone joins in our chat on the forum.

ROBCamra
23-12-2009, 08:18
You sound rather familiar to me Archivist.

Cheers

Eddie86
24-12-2009, 17:34
I'm fairly sure my beer of the week is going to be TNP in approx 18 hours :D

oldboots
24-12-2009, 17:50
I'm fairly sure my beer of the week is going to be TNP in approx 18 hours :D

Zak Avery has done a video-blog tasting of TNP and was very impressed - I'm very jealous Eddie.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ZakAvery#grid/uploads

My beer of the week
(as my drinking week has now finished :( apart from a cheeky bottle of Rauchbier I have for xmas day)

is Evan Evans Imperial.

ROBCamra
31-12-2009, 14:33
I had a Thornbridge St Petersburg Russian Imperial Stout in the Marble Arch in Manchester on Tuesday.

Wow, is that strong and complex or what !

I couldn't have managed another one.

arwkrite
31-12-2009, 16:24
I had a Thornbridge St Petersburg Russian Imperial Stout in the Marble Arch in Manchester on Tuesday.

Wow, is that strong and complex or what !

I couldn't have managed another one.

The name is certainly strong and complex, or did you mean the stout?:D
I had a pint of GK 6.4% cant remember the name so it must have been good. I would have attempted another but had things to do.

oldboots
01-01-2010, 09:22
The name is certainly strong and complex, or did you mean the stout?:D
I had a pint of GK 6.4% cant remember the name so it must have been good. I would have attempted another but had things to do.

could it have been Strong Suffolk? A great beer, possibly the best one GK make.

ROBCamra
01-01-2010, 10:35
Had two pints of the Evan Evans Imperial last night in The Baum and very good it was too.

RogerB
01-01-2010, 10:41
Your favourite........

Bitter - There is something about Cornish beers. I could drink the Doom Bars and Tributes of this world all day long but if I have to opt for 1 beer I would probably go for Skinners Heligan Honey.

Lager - Used to drink the occasional short lived Fosters Amber. I only drink lager these days when there is little choice but on our occasional visit to Zero Degrees in Blackheath, the Black Lager occasionally gets thrown into the mix.

MILD - not a great fan of milds/porters/stouts but I do occasionally experiment with them. Had a Milk Street ZigZag Stout recently which went down quite well. Burton Bridge Damson Porter was another that sticks in the mind. Not milds but that's the best I can come up with.

Cider - I'm quite partial to a drop of the old apple juice but finding the real stuff is all too rare. Locally we get the occasional Biddendens cider which goes down well. I'm actually quite fond of the Marcle Hill cider that currently populate the bars at various 'Spoons.

Pub - It is very likely my last gasp will be in a pub somewhere and if I could choose, it would probably have to be the Blue Anchor at Helston clutching a pint of Spingo.

Crawl - If you walk into a pub in Derby and they have less than 10 guest ales it isn't worth bothering about.

Soup Dragon
18-01-2010, 19:17
Greetings to all those joining from another place, i remember all the names - sorry, have been tied up a lot this month with one thing and another, so not been on much

Mr A, what school did you goto in Brownhills - i am putting together a few talks on education history and school records, just thought i may have you in an admission/discharge book, although most only go back to the 1870s;)

arwkrite
18-01-2010, 23:14
Mr Soupy I attended St John's junior school, Walsall Wood. The education was so good only one of us passed the 11plus. The rest of us crawled off to Walsall Wood Sec. Mod. ( 1961 )I was there for just over a year when Beeching gave my old man the push and my next school was Bishops Castle High School, Shropshire. Must have been a culture shock for both sides.I was not popular with most teaching staff due to being a cocky b.....d and yet really struck a chord with others.My previous school was Chuckery Infants/ Juniors, Walsall. Out of 14 step gran kids so far 6 have degrees.the rest are to young. My father believed further education was for posh people. He also believed you only met trollops ( lovely old fashioned word) in pubs.I met my last Mrs and some grand ladies in pubs. Fat lot he knew. Education for the future? may take a degree as a mature student reading the conjugal practices of the tribes of Papuua, New Guinea. Cannot be to much to that.

Soup Dragon
20-01-2010, 18:30
I will see if we have anything, Mr A - i know we have a photo of WW Juniors in the 1920s - i think you are on it, as there is clearly a beer bottle next to one scruffy kid?????

Did anyone notice the other night - we had 10 members on at the same time - a recent record? and it shows how far Conrad and Dave have took the site in recent months - well done guys:cheers:

RogerB
20-01-2010, 18:34
Did anyone notice the other night - we had 10 members on at the same time - a recent record? and it shows how far Conrad and Dave have took the site in recent months - well done guys:cheers:

And with BITE having a fresh meltdown today, I think there may be a few more on the way!

hopwas
20-01-2010, 18:49

Actually we had 12 on other night.. surely new record?

Soup Dragon
20-01-2010, 18:59
And to think, i lived to see it!

Conrad
20-01-2010, 19:13
Thanks,

More amazing is the fact that we pretty much have a constant 4 on during the day now, and not always the same ones.

All the work is being done by you lot! The little bits I do are proving that much enjoyable now we have such a vocal audience, although I am beginning to feel my major contributions might sadly be in the Sci-Fi knowledge :eek:

Oggwyn Trench
20-01-2010, 19:14
And to think, i lived to see it!

You led Soupy , we followed

Soup Dragon
20-01-2010, 19:16
although I am beginning to feel my major contributions might sadly be in the Sci-Fi knowledge :eek:

Well, it certainly aint the beer bit;)

hopwas
20-01-2010, 19:18
Er.. Conrad, I guess you have missed my comment. Is 12 new record for this forum?

oldboots
20-01-2010, 19:23
Er.. Conrad, I guess you have missed my comment. Is 12 new record for this forum?

Currently 18 and I'm off to the pub in a moment, and some of you will disappear to the footie at 8 o/c, but the record is still 173 isn't it?

UPDATE 19 now, I see Nick Davies has just joined us from the sinking ship, can Gill 1/2 and John Bonser be far behind?

Conrad
20-01-2010, 19:24
Sorry, thought it was rhetorical. But to the best of my observation, yes.

Have to admit these days that number has kind of dimmed a little (although 12 is very good), more interested by seeing the variety of members on there and how often it is showing 5+. It is really good stuff and hopefully we can keep enjoying it. Nick Davies has now joined and was browsing for about 30 minutes earlier, so we may have another refugee posting soon.

And Soup I just wish I had a snappy comeback, but sadly you are correct :( Still I will be happy to put in more work on that subject.

Conrad
20-01-2010, 19:31
Currently 18 and I'm off to the pub in a moment, and some of you will disappear to the footie at 8 o/c, but the record is still 173 isn't it?

UPDATE 19 now, I see Nick Davies has just joined us from the sinking ship, can Gill 1/2 and John Bonser be far behind?
I think we only count the members portion as the guests are mostly search engines, we had 30+ on the other morning as a Chinese search engine went a bit berserk on the site. Amused me as I went and searched for Pubs Galore on their site afterwards for the heck of it and they didn't have any pub sites listed, I guess the Chinese government isn't a fan/

Conrad
21-01-2010, 09:45
Hi all just moved a lot of posts to a new BITE thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?846-BITE). Basically this is a sticky thread and those posts were a little off track for it, also if I am honest I would rather that once the subject is done it can drop down the forum rather than being stuck. You may want to subscribe to that new thread if you use the subscription system.

dpv
21-01-2010, 15:25
Hi all,

just joined the forums here, and thought I'd better present my biases right up front in this thread. My favourites are always changing but there are a few old standbys.

Ale - Purple Moose Snowdonia (I could not believe it was 3.6%), Milton Sparta. I really tend to favour hoppy golden ales. For bitter bitters, perhaps Harveys Sussex Best.

Lager - can I cheat and say I prefer a cold pilsener on a hot day vs lager? Or something like Sierra Nevada (it's fizzy, at least). I will drink a continental lager now and then (especially in one of those many music venues where there are no real options) but I don't have a favourite.

Mild and other dark stuff - Not really my thing, though I tend to favour those that are more subtly flavoured. I do make room for imperial stouts, though. And I'm very happy to join in drinking Mrs dpv's favourite beer, Pannepot.

Cider and perry - I like them extremely dry, but don't drink enough to have a real favourite. I still have the american tendency to think of "cider" as the unfiltered, unpasteurised, unsweetened (and nonalcoholic) apple juice, and "hard cider" as the fermented version.

Across the channel - La Chouffe is my favourite beer of all (though it has dropped somewhat in recent years), I also enjoy an unfiltered Palm, and generally speaking I find a night on the Belgians is a good night.

Pub - If I was only allowed ONE pub before I croak, this is a really tough one. Perhaps the Kulminator in Antwerp, working my way through the aged beers, have had a couple of really great nights there. But I think the Man of Kent in Rochester would get my vote. I've only been there three times (all in one long weekend, actually.... meant to be more of a rail crawl but had to come back instead) but absolutely top in so many ways. My one visit to the elm tree in Cambridge was also great, but I don't want to select my "death pub" on the basis of just one visit, in case my previous experience is atypical.

Pub town - I am really terrible with crawls. As soon as I find myself in a good pub I don't want to move on!

hopwas
21-01-2010, 15:33
Hi dpv!

Welcome to PG forum! It is always nice to meet international forumer like you.

Cider and perry - I like them extremely dry, but don't drink enough to have a real favourite. I still have the American tendency to think of "cider" as the unfiltered, unpasteurised, unsweetened (and nonalcoholic) apple juice, and "hard cider" as the fermented version.

Haha.. I know what do you mean, had ex girlfriend hails from Maryland. We constantly argued over British/American phases! I say Pavement, she say Sidewalk. Lift/ Elevator. Football/Soccer. Mobile/Cellphone. I could go on...

Anyway I hope you enjoy your time on PG forum! Looking foward to it

Hoppy

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 15:35
had ex girlfriend hails from Maryland. We constantly argued over British/American phases!

Well, until she said 'Naaah Hoppy, you dont understand, when i said i'm from Maryland, i mean't that i work in the factory that makes the cookies

dpv
21-01-2010, 15:37
thanks! although I'm not all that international - these days I've settled completely in London and don't plan on going elsewhere. I even learned the language. No, not English, I'll never get that right (my accent still totally American 10 years later) --- British Sign Language. would you believe I even have an american accent in British Sign Language?

hopwas
21-01-2010, 15:37
Well, until she said 'Naaah Hoppy, you dont understand, when i said i'm from Maryland, i mean't that i work in the factory that makes the cookies

Thats spooky! :eek: Cos about one hour ago I actually ate these mini Maryland cookies...

Have you been stalking me in Tamworth...:whistle:

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 15:41
thanks! although I'm not all that international - these days I've settled completely in London and don't plan on going elsewhere. I even learned the language. No, not English, I'll never get that right (my accent still totally American 10 years later) --- British Sign Language. would you believe I even have an american accent in British Sign Language?

I suppose the answer is in the title - it would be international sign language if eveyone used it !!!!:rolleyes:

Thats spooky! :eek: Cos about one hour ago I actually ate these mini Maryland cookies...

Have you been stalking me in Tamworth...:whistle:

Not since you had me locked up for 2 months, Hoppy:p

hopwas
21-01-2010, 15:45
Not since you had me locked up for 2 months, Hoppy:p

:D I had locked you up cos you were threating to burn all twigs in every Ember Inn..

Soup Dragon
21-01-2010, 15:50
thats worth 2 months, mate

arwkrite
21-01-2010, 15:57
:D I had locked you up cos you were threating to burn all twigs in every Ember Inn..

Would they then be known as Kindling Inns ? Just a thought.

hopwas
21-01-2010, 16:02
Would they then be known as Kindling Inns ? Just a thought.

Took me while to realise your joke! :o:rolleyes:

Eddie86
21-01-2010, 20:40

It turns out the sign language I learnt and taught James is the USA version. We still understand each other though! With him starting to form sentences it's less of an issue now though.

runningdog
21-01-2010, 20:57
Hi all,
Pub town - I am really terrible with crawls. As soon as I find myself in a good pub I don't want to move on!

My sentiments entirely, why all that rushin about...:drinkup:... Uh, and welcome to the clan, dpv...:drinkup:..........

RogerB
21-01-2010, 21:19
I even have an american accent in British Sign Language?

I must admit I never knew you were a scep, er, an American. You obviously can't type in an American accent.:cheers:

dpv
22-01-2010, 10:40
I must admit I never knew you were a scep, er, an American. You obviously can't type in an American accent.

I don't use too many american flag themed smileys, and I hate it when a perfectly good microbrew is pumped up with co2. So as you can see I'm not very american.

Arthurish
25-01-2010, 11:10
Hi again,

Probably going to cause a kerfuffle, but the only stout I like is Guinness.

To redeem myself, I have tried Thwaites Nutty Black in The Falcon, Clapham Junction. It was great.
I've never tasted dark mild before, preferring the lighter ones, on the very few occassions I've tried mild.

Hope there wasn't too many of you choking into your ale with my first line.

Thanks

Arthurish

arwkrite
25-01-2010, 11:30
Arthurish if you like Guiness then get it down your neck. I certainly would not object to buying a pint of it for anyone, or of anything else for that matter. We have enough of the government and Joe Soaps Army telling us what we must do. Us drinkers must remain a liberal and freedom loving crowd welcoming all types to the fold..
Real Ale,Keg,Lager,Cider, Pink Gin or a mixed salad bowl with a sparkler and a mini umbrella should all be welcomed at the bar.Friends come in all shapes ,sizes, bottles and glasses. No one should feel the need to apologize for their preferred drink.:cheers:

Soup Dragon
25-01-2010, 12:13
Hi again,

Probably going to cause a kerfuffle, but the only stout I like is Guinness.

To redeem myself, I have tried Thwaites Nutty Black in The Falcon, Clapham Junction. It was great.
I've never tasted dark mild before, preferring the lighter ones, on the very few occassions I've tried mild.

Hope there wasn't too many of you choking into your ale with my first line.

Thanks

Arthurish

Nothing wrong in whatever you drink Squire, we just rib Hoppy on his love for Carling!

Arthurish
30-01-2010, 07:31
Thanks

On another matter, how come Samuel Smith only seem to serve their bitter in keg version and not cask? or is this just a London thing?

Arthurish

RogerB
30-01-2010, 08:56
Thanks

On another matter, how come Samuel Smith only seem to serve their bitter in keg version and not cask? or is this just a London thing?

Arthurish

There are several Sam Smiths pubs in London that do the Cask Old Brewery Bitter - the Chandos (Charing Cross), the Angel (near Tottenham Court Road), Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (Fleet Street), the Cardinal (Victoria), Princess Louise (Holborn), Cittie of York (also Holborn), Dover Castle (Marylebone) and the Lyceum (Strand) are just a few that immediately come to mind. In fact, there are probably more with cask OBB than without. When there is no cask, I tend to go for the Cider Reserve just for something different.

oldboots
30-01-2010, 09:40
Thanks

Arthurish

In Yorkshire it's normal to get both OBB and Sovereign keg bitter, everything else they do is keg only including that Alpine lager (the tw*t in the hat stuff) and MILD.

Soup Dragon
30-01-2010, 10:19
Sam Smiths wise, Jolly Sailors Inn in Whitby had handpull bitter from my report, i was sure i had seen it somewhere, but the rest is keg!

FILO may be able to confirm

Arthurish
31-01-2010, 10:41
I must be going into the wrong pubs, because I found the Dover Castle and it had cask ale, though it's not close enough to work to visit regulary.
Thanks for the list.

Arthurish

Strongers
31-01-2010, 14:30
In answer to the original question:

Mild - Chicken Balti.

Bitter Unadventurously I like a nice pint of Pride.

Cider Doesnt really sit well in the guts anymore, but I do still enjoy the odd pint of any including Strongbow!!!

Lager Dont really drink it by choice anymore, but I am still sometimes spotted propping up the bar with a pint of Stella.

Pub The Duke of Hamilton in Hampstead which is my local. Unfortunately the wheels seem to be falling off at the moment as the governor is 69 and cant be bothered anymore, but itll always have a place in my heart.

Crawl Without breaking my brain thinking about it I would say the bottom of the northern line from London Bridge to South Wimbledon.

Cheers

Steve

ROBCamra
31-01-2010, 15:52
In answer to the original question:

Mild - Chicken Balti.

Bitter Unadventurously I like a nice pint of Pride.

Cider Doesnt really sit well in the guts anymore, but I do still enjoy the odd pint of any including Strongbow!!!

Lager Dont really drink it by choice anymore, but I am still sometimes spotted propping up the bar with a pint of Stella.

Pub The Duke of Hamilton in Hampstead which is my local. Unfortunately the wheels seem to be falling off at the moment as the governor is 69 and cant be bothered anymore, but itll always have a place in my heart.

Crawl Without breaking my brain thinking about it I would say the bottom of the northern line from London Bridge to South Wimbledon.

Cheers

Steve

I used to go in the Duke of Hamilton when I stayed at the Marriott in Swiss Cottage for about 15 months a few years back.

It was part of a crawl that included The Flask, Holly Bush, Olde White Bear and whatever the JDW was called that isn't a JDW anymore.

Swiss Cottage is a waste of time for pubs except for The North Star and that's not great.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 16:23
Swiss Cottage is a waste of time for pubs except for The North Star and that's not great.

I actually caught glimpse of The Nort Star in Swiss Cottage on way back to M40. It looked rather nice old fashioned pub. Now you are saying it is not great. May I ask you why it is not great? I am just wondering.

ROBCamra
31-01-2010, 16:39
I actually caught glimpse of The Nort Star in Swiss Cottage on way back to M40. It looked rather nice old fashioned pub. Now you are saying it is not great. May I ask you why it is not great? I am just wondering.

It is a nice looking pub, but the beer quality is very inconsistent and sometimes they don't even have any cask on even though they claim they are an ale house. :(

The other problem is that they are the only pub in the area with big screens so sometimes you can't even get through the door. Which is bad news when it's the only watering hole on the way back to the hotel.

hopwas
31-01-2010, 16:41
It is a nice looking pub, but the beer quality is very inconsistent and sometimes they don't even have any cask on even though they claim they are an ale house. :(

The other problem is that they are the only pub in the area with big screens so sometimes you can't even get through the door. Which is bad news when it's the only watering hole on the way back to the hotel.

Ah I see your point. I prefer quiet and calm pub not some drunken footie lads cramming in. If I see no cask ale on sale in pub I would simply walk off and in another pub where they will sell it.

Strongers
01-02-2010, 01:33
The North Star is a bit transient due to Finchley Road station over the road so it never has a welcoming feel. The Holly Bush is too concerned about food for my liking and Ye Olde White Bear is closed as it is becoming a tapas restaurant.

Some good news is that after the Fullers refit they have now decided to revert the Flask back to its former glory and the lounge bar will be closed for a couple of weeks but I heard this from a local constable so it may not be true!

runningdog
01-02-2010, 12:28
but I heard this from a local constable so it may not be true!
Yer can't trust a local like an old time copper. Many a true word sung in jest..........

Bucking Fastard
11-02-2010, 11:32
Here's my contribution:

Bitter If we are sticking strictly to the term "bitter" then it has to be Bathams Bitter ,but if a broader definition is allowable then my vote goes to BrewDog Punk IPA.(Apologies for pedantry)

Lager Normally avoided like the plague but when faced by an undrinkable pint of real ale,and the bar person insisting that the vinegar smell and cloudy appearance is " how it should be" then I will switch onto Stella to numb the pain.

Mild As a student I downed Ansells Mild rather than Brew XI .Occasionally found Highgate Dark Mild in those days and this is still my pick these days.

Cider I dont drink cider these days but in the past when ever I shifted real cider I got in such a state that the chances of remembering the name of the offending brew fast approached zero.

Pub The Black Lion Inn,Consall Forge.Beautiful location and on my last visit was also serving BrewDog Punk IPA.

Pub Town First prize has to go to Bath.A heavy session only seems to enhance the Georgian beauty.However this summer I plan to get my boat up to Sheffield,a city I have never visited before and which does seem like drinking nirvana from the reports I have read.

Soup Dragon
12-02-2010, 20:19
hi BF

i noticed that you had visited a few of the places i have been - thanks for the symapthy at the Plum Pudding!

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 20:42
hi BF

i noticed that you had visited a few of the places i have been - thanks for the symapthy at the Plum Pudding!

I`ve been to the Plum Pudding , you have my sympathy

hopwas
12-02-2010, 20:53

I have been drove past Plum Pudding many times and never drank there..

Bucking Fastard
15-02-2010, 12:17

Always good to receive sympathy.We were navigating down the Trent and Mersey and it was beginning to get dark.Decided to moor up at the Plumb Pudding where there was always the option of going to the Spode Cottage.This was before the trolls directed me towards pubsgalore and neither of these pubs were on BITE or else we would have carried on to Handsacre and supped in the Old Peculiar.The Spode Cottage was virtually empty and after some indifferent Ped ,in desperation we went into the Plumb Pudding ,where I have to say the food was OK and served by a very attractive waitress which impressed the salty sea dogs.Glad to hear from another Macc Lads aficionado although your tag line scans better with the expletive.Should have given a rendition of "My Pub" on exit from Plumb Pudding given the change from my last visit many moons ago.

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 12:31
Always good to receive sympathy.We were navigating down the Trent and Mersey and it was beginning to get dark.Decided to moor up at the Plumb Pudding where there was always the option of going to the Spode Cottage.This was before the trolls directed me towards pubsgalore and neither of these pubs were on BITE or else we would have carried on to Handsacre and supped in the Old Peculiar.The Spode Cottage was virtually empty and after some indifferent Ped ,in desperation we went into the Plumb Pudding ,where I have to say the food was OK and served by a very attractive waitress which impressed the salty sea dogs.Glad to hear from another Macc Lads aficionado although your tag line scans better with the expletive.Should have given a rendition of "My Pub" on exit from Plumb Pudding given the change from my last visit many moons ago.

Thought i`d better remove the expletive , Conrads a sensitive chap .
My Pub probally the best song about corperate vandalism ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFgdbf33hg found it on you tube , audio only and contains swearing and northeners

Bucking Fastard
15-02-2010, 12:55
Thought i`d better remove the expletive , Conrads a sensitive chap .
My Pub probally the best song about corperate vandalism ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFgdbf33hg found it on you tube , audio only and contains swearing and northeners

Great link.The Macc Lads may have been harsh northerners but they were telling an essential truth in that song,even to my sensitive southern ears.

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 13:07
Great link.The Macc Lads may have been harsh northerners but they were telling an essential truth in that song,even to my sensitive southern ears.

Looks like most of the back catalog is on youtube , i love the Macc Lads even though most of their songs are very sweary and laddish they do give you a snapshot of real life from a normal blokes point of view plus there bloody funny

BEER n SEX n CHIPS n GRAVY

RogerB
15-02-2010, 13:10
I saw them a couple of times at what was the Marquee (now the Montague Pyke pub) in Charing Cross Road. Quite a riot and a seriously wierd fan base! The song I remembered most was the Nutbush City Limits parody entitled Knutsford Scabby Women!

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 13:15
They had some great song titles , my signature comes from Dead Cat :rolleyes:

Bucking Fastard
15-02-2010, 13:21
Looks like most of the back catalog is on youtube , i love the Macc Lads even though most of their songs are very sweary and laddish they do give you a snapshot of real life from a normal blokes point of view plus there bloody funny

BEER n SEX n CHIPS n GRAVY

They are totally un-PC which only makes them even more hilarious these days.My favourite is "Failure with girls" with a wonderful pay off last line.There's a lot of Macc Lads on my ipod and thats why I'm the sad git laughing out loud on the tube.Thats real lol .

gillhalfpint
13-03-2010, 08:58
My answers are as follows

Mild - Black Country Pig on the Wall a close firstwith Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby.

Bitter - Difficult as we keep saying we enjoy looking for it and enjoying doing so.

Lager - Don't even try it these days. If no real ale we leave. If at an eatery I would have wine or coffer rather than lager or creamflow.

Cider - Another I haven't had for years. Seem to remember an 8% Moonshine from a long time ago.

Pub - Wellington in Birmingham. Remember calling there daily waiting for it to open and wow, I had never seen such an array of pumps with micro brewery badges on when it did so always number one for me.

Pub Town - Sheffield. The blue tram route from the railway station to Rawson Spring Wetherspoons would challenge anyone to make it from start to finish and not find at least 20 new beers on a bad day. Bankers Draft, Harlequin, Riverside, Gardeners Rest, Wellington, Hillsborough Hotel and Rawson Spring. They are the main ones, but others along the route are New Barracks, near Hillsborough, and the Devonshire Cat off tram at West Street. Also on route is University Arms and Bath Hotel. Love the place.

gillhalfpint
13-03-2010, 09:13
Thought I should add a PS to my last thread as it may look as though I struggle to like the bitters.

I tend to like ALL bitters unless they are over hoppy or too fruity like Church End beers.

I will start doing your beer of the week so should find somehing to enter today. Been at Leicester beer festival for the last couple of days and will be off for the bus there again today so will find my bitter of the day today.

Noted Plockton Bay from Plockton for Thursday's bitter, Nook Brewhouse Red for yesterday.

hopwas
13-03-2010, 10:41
I tend to like ALL bitters unless they are over hoppy or too fruity like Church End beers.

Amen to that! I tend to avoid any Church End beers, too much hoppy for my liking and one of my regular haunts in Tamworth do stock Church End on regular basis.

Yuk!

Alesonly
19-03-2010, 15:51
MILD - Harveys Mild
Bitter - Timothy Tailors Landlord
Cider - Best Ive had GWR But prefer a good Perry.
Lager Stella But Only when theres no Ales or Guinness available.

Andy Ven
27-04-2010, 20:02
Bitter: It would have to be Batham's or Hobson's Best (probably the Batham's if I had to choose)
Lager: Carling/Carlsberg/Foster's (they all taste the same but definitely not Becks or Stella)
MILD: Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby goes down too well despite its 6% ABV (or loyalty to my home town means that the standard of Highgate Mild I drank at the Highgate brewery on Friday night would come a good second ... or Black Country Pig on the Wall...)
Cider: It's been a long time - Thunderbird when I was 14

Pub - Old Swan in Netherton in winter (or the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley), Bernie Arms in Norfolk in summer (Fisherman's Cottage in Shanklin was good though)

Pub town - the Roy-ale Borough of Dudley, but if I had to be more specific I'd head for Gornal

:drinkup:

Soup Dragon
29-04-2010, 08:29
Gornal ....... CLASS!

arwkrite
29-04-2010, 08:36
Gornal.......Do they still pinch the wheels off the Police vans ?.....:)

trainman
29-04-2010, 10:50
Not done this, so...

Bitter. So many choices, so little time. Maybe Oakham Bishops Farewell, for now.
Lager. Don't know much about Belgian & German proper stuff, so I'll go for Staropramen. Pity I didn't have the Hawkeshead Lakeland, at least it was handpump, and a RB botw!
MILD. Not my category, sorry, so I'll widen it & say HopBack Entire Stout. I'll usually have a half on the side at the Sultan.
Cider. Old Rosie - for days/weeks you just wanna forget... keg - Addlestones, tho in the absence of OBB on HP I once tried Sams cider - nice & appley.
Pub. The Crown, Heaton La., Stockport
Pub town. Sheffield. Though I look forward to Norwich & Shrewsbury possibly providing competition this year.

Soup Dragon
29-04-2010, 15:48
Gornal.......Do they still pinch the wheels off the Police vans ?.....:)

What police vans Mr A?

Soup Dragon
29-04-2010, 15:49
MILD. Not my category, sorry, so I'll widen it & say HopBack Entire Stout. I'll usually have a half on the side at the Sultan.

Dont worry trainy, you will grow up one day!;)

Andy Ven
29-04-2010, 17:55
Can I have (Ma Pardoe's) Old Swan Entire as well?

I'm rubbish at choosing my favourites

Eddie86
29-04-2010, 23:31
Trainman - I once tried to do Norwich. I got as far as the Fat Cat. It sells more beers on a Tuesday afternoon (over 30) than I put on at the beer festival last year! Highlight for me was the landlady (I presume) asking if I was enjoying myself. I told her I was working through the list, when she asked if I'd tried *a certain beer*.

No - I replied - it's not listed on the chalkboards

Her reply?

We don't list it, it sells out too fast and the locals get upset. I'll get you a pint on the house now...

ANY pub that can sell over 30 ales AND keep one (at least that I know of!) for the locals deserves a trip too. Well worth 3 days off...

trainman
30-04-2010, 10:03
Great stuff Eddie - and that's just one! I currently have 16 pubs on my target list for Norwich, it'll have to be a very long weekend...

RogerB
30-04-2010, 10:13
If you go to the Fat Cat, look out for the scratch marks on the floor near the door. It's where my Mrs tried to drag me out.

aleandhearty
30-04-2010, 14:13
If you go to the Fat Cat, look out for the scratch marks on the floor near the door.

:D Just the Fat Cat, Roger?

Crossste
14-06-2010, 11:32
Been meaning to reply to this one for a while so here goes.

Bitter. I think for this one i will have to plump for Chardonnayle form the Red Lion Brewery, Ossett, although i haven,t seen it knocking about for a bit, i hope it is still brewed! Perhaps for longevity i would go for Landlord. I tend not to go for it much these days as there is usually something different or newer to try but when i do have it, probably due to no other choice, i always enjoy it and wonder why i don't choose it more often.

Mild. It will have to be Sarah Hughes but it could quite easily have been Moody,s from the East Coast Brewery, Holdens or Rudgate Ruby.

Lager. I honestly can,t remember the last lager i had but it probably had some lime in to add flavour.

Cider. As lager but without the lime comment.

Pub. The Sair at Linthwaite. Quality pub and landlord. Real fires. Four rooms pretty much unaltered and they brew their own beer which iirc they do not sell to other pubs. Unfortunately on our last visit, summer 09, brewing had been suspended, hopefully it has restarted, perhaps someone can advise.

Town. This is going to hurt being a Lancastrian. Huddersfield.(See that wasn,t to bad). There are just enough pubs of my liking to suit me for a day out. The Star, Rat & Ratchet, Grove, Sportsmans plus two real ale pubs on the station and a couple of JWDs to go at.

aleandhearty
14-06-2010, 15:32
will have to plump for Chardonnayle form the Red Lion Brewery, Ossett, although i haven,t seen it knocking about for a bit, i hope it is still brewed!

Mild. It will have to be Sarah Hughes but it could quite easily have been Moody,s from the East Coast Brewery

You'll be pleased to know that Chardonnayle is still a regular brew. It's a permanent fixture at Harry's Bar in Wakefield.

Interesting that you mention Sarah Hughes and Moody's Mild together. David James, the brewer at East Coast and ex-Fernandes brewed the latter as a tribute.

Crossste
15-06-2010, 20:21
You'll be pleased to know that Chardonnayle is still a regular brew. It's a permanent fixture at Harry's Bar in Wakefield.

Interesting that you mention Sarah Hughes and Moody's Mild together. David James, the brewer at East Coast and ex-Fernandes brewed the latter as a tribute.

Good news about the Chardonnayle. I had a bit of a google about after posting (perhaps i need to do this in reverse order in future) and glad to read Bob is back on his feet. I didn,t know he had had a stroke.

Funnily enough the only time i have been lucky enough to drink Moody,s was in the Shepherds in Sowerby Bridge when i was with my mate from Wolverhampton who is well acquainted with Sarah Hughes. He had a mouthful before me and commented that they must have had a barrel of Sarah's in the cellar and had connected the wrong one. Best tribute act since Oasis :-)

Thuck Phat
09-11-2010, 12:55
I've been meaning to do this for a while so here goes:

Bitter:I'm going to take a very broad definition and plump for Marble Lagonda IPA, it being the best pint I've ever had.

Lager:Only under duress and extreme heat do I resort to the ubiquitous Stella.

Mild:Not usually a favourite drink of mine for choice but if pushed I'd go for a pint of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild.

CiderAlmost always too sweet and fizzy for me, the only exception being that made by a mate who scrumps my apples for it. Strong, delicious and dangerously drinkable.

PubMany to choose from here but if my back's against the wall then The Royal Oak at Fritham takes some beating for location, atmosphere and ale.

Town:Having visited a couple of times this summer, Sheffield was an absolute revelation both for ale variety and quality as well as a city in its own right.

Grailhunter
09-11-2010, 13:35
if pushed I'd go for a pint of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild.

I know what you mean.
If someone was really insistent that I had to drink a Mild then I too would go for this one.
Kicking and screaming mind and I would draw the line at 5 pints !!!!!

Thuck Phat
10-11-2010, 10:56
I know what you mean.
If someone was really insistent that I had to drink a Mild then I too would go for this one.
Kicking and screaming mind and I would draw the line at 5 pints !!!!!

You're a better man than me. I think after 2 I'd be searching for refreshing pint of Oakham's Bishop's Farewell or something similar.

General Staal
10-12-2010, 15:24
Can't remember if I've replied to this thread before!

Bitter:I think I'd go for a Batham's. I also love Butty Bach if its a Bitter..?

Lager:On an exceptionally hot day I will drink any lager shandy. Its quite refreshing. Usually I won't touch lager. However, Peroni and Moretti do go very nicely with pizza and Italian food generally.

Mild:I'd go for a Stout or a Porter over a Mild. However, Chestnut Mild is very nice - never seen it on handpull though. Banks's is a good staple. For me, it has a nice 'appley' undertaste. Cain's Dark Mild is ok, but I've only ever had it from a can.

Cider:Haven't touched cider since I was 17 and pushed the future Mrs Staal in a bush. Cider has a very unfortunate effect on me.

Pub:Good Lord! How do I pick? The Red Lion in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter is a favourite I never tire of. Just wish it was closer to home. I really like the Duke in Sutton Coldfield - but its a bit pricey! And I would say the Black Horse Vaults in Whitby. Although again, its pricey.

Town:I love drinking in Walsall, its the closest, best crawl to home. Having said that, Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, Hockley, is mighty fine. But my absolute favourite town to drink in has to be Whitby.

RogerB
10-12-2010, 15:35
Cider:Haven't touched cider since I was 17 and pushed the future Mrs Staal in a bush.

I used wit, charm, countless chat up lines and not an inconsiderable amount of downright cheek to try and win the charms and affections of the fairer sex but not tried that one yet. Next time I'm in a beer garden I'll give it a go.

Bucking Fastard
10-12-2010, 16:56
Cider:Haven't touched cider since I was 17 and pushed the future Mrs Staal in a bush.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand:D

Just getting my coat....

General Staal
10-12-2010, 17:58
A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand:D

Just getting my coat....

Mrs Staal hasn't been a 'bird' in many a year. More like an old broiler!

oldboots
10-12-2010, 18:28

I assume she doesn't read this stuff then, otherwise you'll be off-rations for a while :(

aleandhearty
10-12-2010, 19:08

Think yourself lucky. Mrs a&h can often be seen gliding on thermals, above steep ravines.

Old Blue
12-02-2011, 12:03
Hi, and thanks to those of you who’ve welcomed me to the site in other threads. My favourites:

Bitter – primarily a dark bitter man. Black Sheep Riggwelter officially my favourite beer (my local publican used to get it in as a guest beer every year on my birthday) though haven’t had any on draught for a while. Have agreeably had quite a lot of Hobgoblin more recently. Sambrooks Junction has been around locally of late, and whilst I’ve been drinking it, I have to confess I haven’t entirely warmed to it.
Cider – proper ones from the West country; I couldn’t really single out a favourite.
Mild – too afraid of Soupy to venture a comment!
Lager - not a drink of choice! Aside continentals that aren’t really lagers, I’ve found Kirin least problematic when facing a Pub With No Proper Beer. Assuming that is actually a lager.
Pub – hmm, difficult. I can never settle on one local pub, I have to move between at least two. So perhaps I’ll just be contrary and try to draw your attention to the Red Hot and Blue bar in Arlington, Virginia.
Town – I see some favourite far-flung old stomping grounds of mine are as yet largely unreviewed. So I’ll answer this by posting reviews next time I can get to them.
Music – Python’s philosophers’ drinking song has to get it

Reviewing approach – mindful that I’ve submitted very few reviews since joining, think I ought to explain where I’m coming from, so everyone doesn’t naturally think “who’s this weirdo just joined our forum, who hardly ever reviews pubs?”. As a novice joining a community of evident talent, I thought this through quite a bit, as I didn’t want to post lots of reviews which added volume but reduced value. So I gave myself some ground rules:
1. Not to review my local regular pubs. Strikes me many things about pubs that are important to regulars are quite different from the things relevant to visitors. As the pub pages essentially aren’t chat rooms for pub regulars (in my view the slippery slope to the Dark Side) I don’t post on my locals. Unfortunately, I’m also presently indecisive enough to trying to hold down Valued Regular status in 3 local pubs simultaneously, which in itself is quite demanding on the liver.
2. I don’t post reviews if I don’t think I’ve anything informative to add. The great majority of other pubs I’ve been in recently have already been perfectly well reviewed by members far better at it than I, and I’ve nothing of value to add.
Thus I’ve posted very few reviews thus far, and where I have done it’s been because maybe the pub hadn’t been reviewed for some time and could do with an update, or I had a view or knew or spotted something about it that maybe others hadn’t. Also, I’m not the most observant of types and am really most interested in how pubs work – the dynamic sort of stuff that you pick up over several visits about why the pub is the way it is – there are several pubs I’m intending to review after another visit or two. Hoping I can get better at this over time and start posting a lot more reviews. And a decent crop as soon as I can escape work for a few days to visit old stomping grounds...

Very pleased to join your site, and I’d be really grateful for any advice along the way, on any subject from reviewing technique, to where on earth you can still find a bar billiards table, to what I need to do to my profile to stop it advertising me as a ‘teetotaller’ (I fear Trading Standards might come down on me like a metric tonne of bricks)

hondo
14-02-2011, 06:55
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53633/ ;) welcome to the site

Allons enfants de la Patrie :ninja:
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !

gillhalfpint
14-02-2011, 09:03
I tried to play bar billiards on a table in the Criterion in Weston Super Mare last weekend. Have watched others played but never dared go on before on my own - Ray wouldn't try it - but it was quiet so I had a go. Would be good to learn with someone who understood the rules sometime.

Pubsignman
14-02-2011, 10:22
Hi Old Blue

A couple of pubs in South London that have bar billiards tables (or at least they had one when I last visited) are The Hope in Carshalton and the Grape and Grain in Crystal Palace.
A bit further afield, the excellent William IV in Leyton also has one and is well worth the visit for their own Brodies beers.

PSM

ROBCamra
14-02-2011, 11:52
I tried to play bar billiards on a table in the Criterion in Weston Super Mare last weekend. Have watched others played but never dared go on before on my own - Ray wouldn't try it - but it was quiet so I had a go. Would be good to learn with someone who understood the rules sometime.

You should have asked on Saturday at Fleetwood Gill I used to play regularly. Although I suspect my explanation of the rules may have got a little hazy along the way given the amount of beer tried.

There's a bar billiards table at the Phoenix Brewery bar, just a shame that it's private parties only. I least I get to play there once a year at Tony's barbecue.

RogerB
14-02-2011, 13:03
If you're in South East London, there are Bar Billiard tables in the Pelton Arms in Greenwich and the Dog & Bell in Deptford - both very good pubs.

Paris_Hilton
14-02-2011, 13:27
A google search for 'pubs with bar billiards' took me to this page at the other place.......

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/fac/26/with/Bar_billiards

RogerB
14-02-2011, 13:34
Well the 3rd pub on the list (Ashburnham Arms in Greenwich) hasn't had a BB table for at least 3 years so the info is up to the site's usual standards.

Conrad
14-02-2011, 14:49
Very pleased to join your site, and I’d be really grateful for any advice along the way, on any subject from reviewing technique, to where on earth you can still find a bar billiards table, to what I need to do to my profile to stop it advertising me as a ‘teetotaller’ (I fear Trading Standards might come down on me like a metric tonne of bricks)
That changes as your post count goes up, you have already advanced to Spritzer Swallower :)

Pubsignman
14-02-2011, 15:38
Well the 3rd pub on the list (Ashburnham Arms in Greenwich) hasn't had a BB table for at least 3 years so the info is up to the site's usual standards.

And exactly the same can be said of the 6th pub on the list - the Bedford Tavern, Croydon. Not sure if you can search the content of reviews on this site, but I would trust the information on here to be much more acurate.

gillhalfpint
14-02-2011, 16:15
It was on a trip to Wye Valley Brewery where I watched a couple of lads playing the table there for a while I thought it looked an interesting game. My trouble is I would be playing on my own as pub games are not Ray's thing. Will have to stick money in a table sometime and shout up for a volunteer to play the game.

Conrad
15-02-2011, 22:59
And exactly the same can be said of the 6th pub on the list - the Bedford Tavern, Croydon. Not sure if you can search the content of reviews on this site, but I would trust the information on here to be much more acurate.
You can't search the content. I did actually do an experiment and get that working once but decided that it would be a bit hard to demonstrate on the site (I felt it would be too confusing to add it to the common search at the top) and I didn't like the idea of an advanced search - the site is complicated enough already.

We can do it one day if it is desirable, but it wouldn't help with something like this, because not unlike the mentioned list it would move out of date when a review from years ago matches.