PDA

View Full Version : Wadworth Beers

Youngie
02-09-2009, 23:26
Hi Chaps
New to the forum tonight so go easy with me.
Being a Wiltshire lad my local Brewery is Wadworth & Co. Just wondered if any of you beer lovers had sampled any of their brews and what you thought of them?

Farway
03-09-2009, 13:40
Yep, my local the Green Dragon at Lovedean, Hants has 6x always on, my drink of choice, seems popular as it sometimes runs out

It was installed by the one of the bar staff, she is Scottish but worked over Devizes way and grew to like the beer, so offered to pay for first barrel if it did not prove popular. She kept her money and proved her point to the manager

Soup Dragon
06-09-2009, 22:07
Hi Chaps
New to the forum tonight so go easy with me.
Being a Wiltshire lad my local Brewery is Wadworth & Co. Just wondered if any of you beer lovers had sampled any of their brews and what you thought of them?

I have had 6X all over the place to be honest. It seems a straight-forward bitter to me - sort of the kind of one i will have after looking what else is on! Cant say i recall trying anything else they did until today - stopped in Ilminster opn the way back from Devon and tried Henry's IPA, which i thought was pretty decent - enough for me to want to have another 6X the next time i see it up in the Midlands.

I thought the Devon stuff was class - Otter, Butscombe, Branscombe, O'Hanlons, Palmers....but not so much the Exe Brewery (Exmoor Ale). Also get plenty of St Austell Tribute and Sharpe's Doombar down there. Top stuff. Sadly, you cant get up to the midlands for some MILD, so get yourself a few away-days down to Devon instead!;)

nogoodboyo
07-09-2009, 19:19
Oh yes, I've been a big fan of the copper brew for many many years, and frankly I love it! Though sadly I don't see it much in South Wales. I even stayed in Devises once, just to see the brewery ( as it was a Sunday it was closed) and to sample the 6X, which I believe is delivered by drey locally.

Soup Dragon
07-09-2009, 19:28
Though sadly I don't see it much in South Wales. .

I would be more than happy to stay in South Wales on the Brains MILD than travel for a 6X - each to their own i guess, Squire.

The Anchor in High Offley, Staffs have 6X as their only drink i think, been a year or so since i went. The serve it from a jug, and go the cellar to get it. People rave about how quaint it is, i just found it a bit grubby and the 6X about acceptable. The bogs were like Swansea City in 1920 (black and white decor, whats left of it!):D

Dave M
09-09-2009, 16:34
stopped in Ilminster opn the way back from Devon and tried Henry's IPA, which i thought was pretty decent - enough for me to want to have another 6X the next time i see it up in the Midlands.
I have to admit that I tend to avoid 6X when I see it, but I did try Henrys IPA a couple of months back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had just walked about 10 miles to get to the Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/326/) though so anything may have tasted good at that point.

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 00:30
I have to admit that I tend to avoid 6X when I see it, but I did try Henrys IPA a couple of months back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had just walked about 10 miles to get to the Crown (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/326/) though so anything may have tasted good at that point.

what, even lager?

a cider for Conrad of course!

Conrad
10-09-2009, 11:34
what, even lager?

a cider for Conrad of course!

You really don't want the crown to have my custom do you:)

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 11:46

I just want to see you walk 10 miles, Squire!

I'll pay for the pint for Dave, or bottle of Magners for you:eek:

Dave M
10-09-2009, 11:55

The Crown is a reputable establishment! I very much doubt they'd let you in anyway! ;)

I just want to see you walk 10 miles, Squire!

I'll pay for the pint for Dave, or bottle of Magners for you:eek:

Magners?! Ok, neither of us drinks cider, but we certainly wouldn't go to a pub in Somerset and ask for an Irish cider!

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 12:08
The Crown is a reputable establishment! I very much doubt they'd let you in anyway! ;)

Magners?! Ok, neither of us drinks cider, but we certainly wouldn't go to a pub in Somerset and ask for an Irish cider!

I would hear the oooh arrrrrghs from here!

With your experience of drink, i thought you would think it was an exotic blend from a mystical isle :D

Dave M
10-09-2009, 13:05
I would hear the oooh arrrrrghs from here!

With your experience of drink, i thought you would think it was an exotic blend from a mystical isle :D

I wonder if Magners actually gets served in Irish pubs? I'm sure they just export it over here because they are all too busy drinking the black stuff (of which I'm not a big fan, hopefully none of my family are reading this!)

I certainly remember visiting a few Irish pubs when I was about 19 and bemoaning the lack of any Blackthorn or indeed any cider. On my more recent visits I've always been unable to drink due to driving duties! :mad:

Soup Dragon
10-09-2009, 13:20
I wonder if Magners actually gets served in Irish pubs? I'm sure they just export it over here because they are all too busy drinking the black stuff (of which I'm not a big fan, hopefully none of my family are reading this!)

I certainly remember visiting a few Irish pubs when I was about 19 and bemoaning the lack of any Blackthorn or indeed any cider. On my more recent visits I've always been unable to drink due to driving duties! :mad:

That and Bulmers - is there any difference, not being a cider drinker?

they appear to be in the same bottle........ Fosters sold as Carling, maybe?