PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 5 September 2010)

Conrad
30-08-2010, 13:02
The new beer of the week thread.

Oggwyn Trench: Cottage Mallard IPA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19249#post19249)
ROBCamra: Wolf Brewery Battle of Britain (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19260#post19260)
aleandhearty: Townhouse Centennial (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19279#post19279)
rpadam: Dark Star Limeburner's Special (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19294#post19294)
Al 10000: Peak Ales Chatsworth Gold (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19296#post19296)
Millay: Oakham Musashi (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19314#post19314)
Wittenden: Hornbeam's Lemon Blossom (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19317#post19317)
RogerB: Butcombe Bitter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19348#post19348)
Pubsignman: Brewster's Hophead (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19352#post19352)
Alesonly: Arkells Kingsdown Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19391#post19391)
HTM69: Wadworth 6x (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19400#post19400)
Bucking Fastard: Fullers London Pride (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3634-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-5-September-2010%29&p=19422#post19422)

Quinno
01-09-2010, 11:34
two corkers so far this week:

White Horse - Guv'nor
Purple Moose - Dark Side of the Moose

Both at the ever-relaible Nags Head in Reading.

aleandhearty
01-09-2010, 12:29
A rare (for me) Monday night session saw me try three decent Fernandes beers: Brewers Candle, the reliable Triple O and the delcious Any Porter in a Storm. Unfortunately, my lift home insisted we then move on elsewhere; so the night ended with an indifferent pint of Taylor's Golden Best followed by a dreadful pint of Black Sheep Bitter :eek:

Any Porter in a Storm is definitely in the lead so far.

rpadam
01-09-2010, 18:18
two corkers so far this week:

White Horse - Guv'nor
Purple Moose - Dark Side of the Moose

Both at the ever-relaible Nags Head in Reading.
Another one for the Mŵs Piws, and the most distant reported sighting yet from its home in Porthmadog?

General Staal
01-09-2010, 18:56
Two beers of the week for me so far - Dragon Stout bought from Tesco for £1.00 a bottle and Banks's Dark Mild (a rare find) in a Social Club during a BRMB Football Forum with Alex McLeish!

gillhalfpint
01-09-2010, 21:45
BOTW so far for me is Great Heck Staggering Genius from the Tap and Spile in York today.

aleandhearty
01-09-2010, 22:24
BOTW so far for me is Great Heck Staggering Genius from the Tap and Spile in York today.

Great Heck recently opened their first pub, The Bull & Fairhouse, in Wakefield. Normally, they have two of their own brews on the pumps, but I've not seen Staggering Genius yet. I'll keep an eye out Gill.

Oggwyn Trench
05-09-2010, 07:14
Load of railway themed beer in the Crown last night(to do with a big model railway show up the road) , mostly from Cottage , tried Mallard IPA , Golden Arrow and Winston Churchill , across the road in the Station tried Pictish Corn Dolly , Salopian Jigsaw and Phoenix Double Gold .
If you like dark beers the Jigsaw is exellent (unusual as most Salopian beers are golden) but BOTW is Cottage Mallard IPA

ROBCamra
05-09-2010, 08:49
Load of railway themed beer in the Crown last night(to do with a big model railway show up the road) , mostly from Cottage , tried Mallard IPA , Golden Arrow and Winston Churchill , across the road in the Station tried Pictish Corn Dolly , Salopian Jigsaw and Phoenix Double Gold .
If you like dark beers the Jigsaw is exellent (unusual as most Salopian beers are golden) but BOTW is Cottage Mallard IPA

Just got the GBG 2011 through the post and The Station has eventually, and deservedly got into it. Congratulations guys, you should have been in it years ago. :cheers:

ROBCamra
05-09-2010, 10:21
No beer for me today, so it's time to sort out BOTW as my 500th post.

RCH Old Slug Porter was very good in the Regal Moon on Friday but BOTW is going to be...

Battle Of Britain from Wolf Brewery. The two pints of it I had in The Baum last night were excellent. :cheers:

aleandhearty
05-09-2010, 14:17
A quite exceptional seven days for me, managing to try 37 different beers. However, as 13 of them were eligible for last week's BOTW, that mean's I've only got 24 to choose from!

The front runners were Fernandes 'Any Porter in a Storm', WharfeBank 'Celtic Glory', Riverhead 'Brewsters Blonde' and Townhouse 'Centennial': A superb clean tasting, hoppy beer. Definitely BOTW.

rpadam
05-09-2010, 16:18
I'm not quite sure whether I would want to drink another pint of it, but my beer of the week is the Limeburner's Special produced by Dark Star for the 'Ale at Amberley' festival. This curious, cloudy, golden 6.7% concoction is a one-off blend of Paradise Weiss (5.0%) and their Triple (8.5%), and an unusual experience to say the least...

Actually, most of the other Sussex micro-brewers fielded at least one special, with honourable mentions going to King's Single Hop WGV and Ballards Roger's Mild.

Al 10000
05-09-2010, 16:21
My beer of the week is Peak Ales Chatsworth Gold which i had in a couple of pubs yesterday,the Peak Ales Swift Nick was a close second.

Also a new beer to me was Buxton Moor Top this was very light in colour but did'nt taste of much.

Millay
05-09-2010, 19:33
I was going to for the half of Hogs Back Aromas over Tongham that I finished off a Bank Holiday pub crawl with - although it's probably true to say that it finished me off :nishelypished:

However my BotW this week is Oakham Musashi

Wittenden
05-09-2010, 22:26
I'm not quite sure whether I would want to drink another pint of it, but my beer of the week is the Limeburner's Special produced by Dark Star for the 'Ale at Amberley' festival. This curious, cloudy, golden 6.7% concoction is a one-off blend of Paradise Weiss (5.0%) and their Triple (8.5%), and an unusual experience to say the least...

Actually, most of the other Sussex micro-brewers fielded at least one special, with honourable mentions going to King's Single Hop WGV and Ballards Roger's Mild.

I went to the Amberley Fest last year, and enjoyed a dark star "Limeburners"-not as esoteric as this time, seemingly!
We went to the Smallhythe Place Beer and Music festival last night, and my two best beers were Lemon Blossom from Hornbeam, and Dickie Doodle from Cumbrian Legendary. After due consideration, my vote goes to Hornbeam's Lemon Blossomfor its refreshing balance of sweetness and hoppiness, perfect for a summer evening.I could have drunk it all night, but didn't, purely in the interests of research.

RogerB
06-09-2010, 12:16
Not a particularly varied week for beers. Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful. The local pubs had a poor choice over the weekend including the 2 'Spoons but one pleasant surprise was that one of my local Youngs pubs had 2 guests - almost unheard of. One was Tribute and the other Butcombe Bitter so the latter will do it for me this week as BotW.

ROBCamra
06-09-2010, 12:41
Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful.

I don't find it awful, but I really don't get all the hype and the rave reviews. :confused:

I will have a pint of it if there's nothing more original on the bar, but one is enough and I'd usually go for something else, given the choice.

aleandhearty
06-09-2010, 13:10
Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful.

I don't find it awful, but I really don't get all the hype and the rave reviews. :confused:

I'll be honest, I've only ever tried it once (twice actually but the second time I was too far gone to be objective) and I rather liked it. I seem to recall it being a real 'marmite' beer.

Pubsignman
06-09-2010, 13:21
My BOTW is Brewster's Hophead, which seems to be a semi-regular at the George in Croydon. It edges out Titanic Anchor and Triple fff The Bitter End, both of which were worthy contenders.

I'm also fairly indifferent to Jaipur. I think Thornbridge make other much nicer beers. I'd rather have a pint of Wild Swan any day.

aleandhearty
06-09-2010, 13:30
My BOTW is Brewster's Hophead, which seems to be a semi-regular at the George in Croydon.

I love Brewster's beers. Tried 'Decadence' which was absolutely superb and another whose name escapes me. Not tried 'Hophead' though.

oldboots
06-09-2010, 13:43
No visits to any pubs, no bottles at home and no alcohol at all due to work :mad:

This week I shall be having last week's ration as well :cheers:

Pubsignman
06-09-2010, 15:01
I love Brewster's beers. Tried 'Decadence' which was absolutely superb and another whose name escapes me. Not tried 'Hophead' though.

They've got one called 'Stilton Porter' which sounds a bit off-putting!! The only other Brewster's beer I've had was called Bellona and was very good as well.

ROBCamra
06-09-2010, 15:04

Brewsters Red Hop Lover is right up your street as well A&H.

aleandhearty
06-09-2010, 17:12
Brewsters Red Hop Lover is right up your street as well A&H.

For some reason nothing on the Brewsters website about it. However, there are tasting notes online dating back to Feb, so it's not new. Duly noted as usual. Thanks ROB.

Wittenden
07-09-2010, 08:01
[QUOTE=RogerB;19348]Not a particularly varied week for beers. Had my third stab at Jaipur IPA on Saturday and I still find it awful.

Still never been in a pub that was actually selling Jaipur-not coming soon! The hype does put me off, but I'd like to try it. The only Thornbridge Hall beer that I've had is a bottle of Kipling, which was very tasty, but over carbonated for my pallet.

Alesonly
07-09-2010, 09:01
Beer of the week this week was Arkells Kingsdown Ale 5% Abv :drinkup:which I had along with several others a cant remember.

HTM69
07-09-2010, 18:04
Last week proved to be a record for HTM69, with 24 pints consumed over a 4-day period. There were also - and I do regret this, I really do - one-or-two bottles of the vile WKD necked as well. Let's just put it down to there not being a lot else!

London Pride x 2
Brains Rev James x 2
Carlsberg (erghh) x 1
Newcastle Brown Ale (bottle) x 2
Masterbrew x 2
Fullers Discovery x 1
Fullers Summer Ale x 1
Bombardier x 2
Ringwood Best Bitter x 3
Heineken x 2
Staropramen x 1
Exmoor Gold x 1
Butcombe Brewery Bitter x 2
Sharps Doom Bar x 2
Wadworth 6X x 2

BOTW: Wadworth 6X: a beer I may have tried on several occasions, but one which I always seem to thoroughly enjoy.

Bucking Fastard
08-09-2010, 08:45
Behind the curve yet again,only pub visits were in Berkhamsted having got a call that pranksters had removed my mooring pins and I needed to secure the boat,so had to pop up to Berko,unscheduled .Needed beers after that.Hence my nomination of Fullers London Pride as BOTW,almost hobsons choice.

Farway
09-09-2010, 13:35
Hardly my beer of week, but just tried a pint of Fuller's Red Fox, which according to blurb is

"An autumnal favourite, Red Fox is tawny red in colour and bursting with delicious malty flavours. Brewed with toasted oats which lends distinctive biscuit notes and a mellow aftertaste."

Bit of an odd taste to me, and watery, not down to pub as it is cask marqued and always has a good pint

I shall stick to HSB in there in future