PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24th October 2021)

ROBCamra
24-10-2021, 21:10
:cheers:

Wittenden
24-10-2021, 21:35
Kent:

Tonbridge -American Pale 5%abv.A solid APA, herbal notes. My BOTW.

Bucking Fastard
25-10-2021, 07:22
Kidsgrove,Stone ,Kingston and Croydon.Despite some interesting cans,can't be bothered to list them so draught ales only.

Whim -- Flower Power
Wincle -- Hanging Stone
Ossett -- Silver King *
Joule's -- Kolkata East Indian Pale Ale
Lymestone -- Stone The Crows *
Titanic -- Iceberg *
Titanic -- White Star *
Titanic -- Plum Porter *
Surrey Hills -- Shere Drop *
Hogs Back -- Citrus Pale Ale
Southwark -- Pekko

BOTW goes to Titanic Plum Porter in unbelievable condition in The Royal Exchange (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34611/).

Next week end month sessions including The Wenlock.

sheffield hatter
25-10-2021, 11:16
The Tapped Brewery, which occupies the second half of the building on Sheffield station which houses the Sheffield Tap, has produced some very good beers in the past. My first beer when the pubs reopened exteriorly in April was their Mojo 3.6%, a quaffable pale bitter, and I have also enjoyed Tapped Ale 3.5% (easy drinking but with a very bitter finish) and Jericho 4% (a West Coast pale). For the Sheffield Steel City Beer Festival, which was diversified as a pub-based festival this year, they produced Tapped Cannon Best 4%, a very bitter but well balanced best bitter. It has been on the bar now for two weeks, and since no beer seems to last longer than a couple of days in the Sheffield Tap, I assume that they must have brewed it again. I have been in the Tap six times in this period and went for the Cannon Best every time. Not so much Beer of the Week as Beer of the Fortnight.

Mobyduck
25-10-2021, 15:19
Siren Memento*
Neptune Forecast Godiva*
Sharps Atlantic
Dark Star APA
Red Cat Musica (keg)
Thornbridge Astryd
Howling Hops Up On The Roof*
Marble Late Summer Pints*
Portobello JPA
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Lakeland IPA
Sandstone Morillo*
Brunswick Triple Hop
Frome RA*
Elusive Carve 'N' Yam*
Unbarred Juicy* (keg)
Settle Epic IPA
Settle Nine Standards Porter*

Two beers particularly shone out ahead of the pack and two beers style/ ingredient wise I wasn't expecting to rate too highly. Firstly Elusive Carve 'N' Yam , a Coffee and Pumpkin Porter, I don't mind Coffee but not Pumpkin in beer, however the Pumpkin wasn't overstated nor were there any nasty associated spices evident, It was very smooth and I found myself having a second one. BOTW though goes to Elusives brewing neighbour , Siren Memento, a Best Bitter brewed with the correct malts and English Hops, but being Siren they tweaked it at the end ( the bit that obviously appealed to me) by dry hopping with Cascade resulting in giving the beer a balanced but very juicy and Fruity lift, great stuff at The Ten Tun Taphouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/88988/).

Spinko
25-10-2021, 16:24
Vocation - Smash And Grab (cans at home)

sheffield hatter
25-10-2021, 16:29
Siren Memento, a Best Bitter brewed with the correct malts and English Hops, but being Siren they tweaked it at the end ( the bit that obviously appealed to me) by dry hopping with Cascade resulting in giving the beer a balanced but very juicy and Fruity lift, great stuff at The Ten Tun Taphouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/88988/).

I had this beer at the Kelham Island Tavern on 7 October, also as part of the Sheffield Steel City Beer Festival. I found it a little odd, and it wasn't the cascade hops, it was the malt. I wonder if they corrected it in the next batch? I'd be interested to try it again.

Tris39
25-10-2021, 16:52
Siren Memento, a Best Bitter brewed with the correct malts and English Hops, but being Siren they tweaked it at the end ( the bit that obviously appealed to me) by dry hopping with Cascade resulting in giving the beer a balanced but very juicy and Fruity lift, great stuff at The Ten Tun Taphouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/88988/).

Yup. My BOTW the other week - it is great stuff.

Otherwise, aside from industrial quantities of Neck Oil, for lack of anything on cask worth drinking:

Allsopp's - IPA (c)
Brodie's - Bethnal Green Bitter (c)
Guinness - Guinness (k)
Hammerton's - N1 (c)
Nicholson's - Pale Ale (c)
Purity - Mad Goose (c)
Purity - Ubu (c)
Red Willow - Wreckless (c)
Sambrook's - Wandle (c)
Sam Smith's - Old Brewery (k)
Sam Smith's - Taddy Lager (k)
Timothy Taylor's - Landlord (c)
Vale - VPA (c)

BOTW - Allsopp's IPA.

Thuck Phat
26-10-2021, 07:46
Decent week:

Whim Flower Power
Ossett Silver King*
Cobra
Titanic White Star*
Titanic Plum Porter*
Adnams Ghost Ship*
Adnams Broadside*
Brancaster Oystercatcher*

All starred were excellent including, to my surprise, the Broadside which I remember as being very malty and heavy. Recipe must have been tweaked because this was smooth and easy drinking. Ideal for a chilly Autumn day.

Both Titanic beers were excellent and BOTW goes to Titanic White Star which always surprises with how good it is when kept well after a break from it. Eminently sessionable and flew through the 3 pint test.

aleandhearty
26-10-2021, 15:58
Actually made it to the pub this week, the first time in about three weeks. I rather overcompensated, as Mrs a&h will attest.

Fernandes - Mallt Shovel MILD.
Empire - Aniseed Porter.
Fernandes - Percival.
Fernandes - Mr Brian.
Beer Ink - Vellum.*
Ossett - Voodoo.
North Riding - Citra.*
Stancill - Treason.*
Chin Chin - Simcoe City.
Yorkshire Heart - Quaffer.
North Riding / Horsforth - West Coast IPA.

Not the best ever batch of beers, but the Citra, in Harry's Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60167/), was on cracking form. Marmite Beer of the Week was definitely the Aniseed Porter - liquefied aniseed balls, in a glass. A half was surprisingly refreshing, but I don't think I could manage more than a pint.

Mobyduck
26-10-2021, 19:38
I had this beer at the Kelham Island Tavern on 7 October, also as part of the Sheffield Steel City Beer Festival. I found it a little odd, and it wasn't the cascade hops, it was the malt. I wonder if they corrected it in the next batch? I'd be interested to try it again.

To be fair it's not what I would class a Best Bitter in taste even if it shares the base ingridients with one, but I found it a very moreish beer to my hop forward as opposed malty beer taste, I would be interested in your views if you manage to try it again.

Mobyduck
26-10-2021, 19:41
Marmite Beer of the Week was definitely the Aniseed Porter - liquefied aniseed balls, in a glass.
Being a Marmite hater I would heartily agree with your nomination.

aleandhearty
26-10-2021, 21:27

:D

Tris39
27-10-2021, 16:54

Ironically, it's the brewing industry that's responsible for the existence of Marmite.

Mobyduck
27-10-2021, 18:36
Ironically, it's the brewing industry that's responsible for the existence of Marmite.

They have a lot to answer for.