PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to - Soup

Conrad
26-08-2010, 13:23
Well it has been a year since what we think is the first post by Soup Dragon (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?354-Springhead-Tavern-Darlaston-re-opened). Certainly not our longest serving member (although I think our most prolific forumite), but he was the first of what was to become an exodus from the last gasps of the BITE forum.

Can I just say 1st Birthday and thank you for all your sterling contributions to the site, when we do finally meet up the first round is on me (and I will be under the table after that anyway).

:cheers:

RogerB
26-08-2010, 13:51
I think I would win the prize for most dormant contributor. Accordng to my audit record I joined the site on 28 July 2006 (at 1.37pm!) but did sod all until I uploaded a load of photos on 27 December 2009, nearly 3 and a half years later!

trainman
26-08-2010, 14:08
I think I would win the prize for most dormant contributor

If ever the phrase 'Sleeping Giant' were apt...

Conrad
26-08-2010, 14:10
I never understand that, we get loads of members join up and then not contribute. Certainly not moaning, but I hate giving out my email address for fear I get spammed out of existence, so it always bemuses me when people join and don't do anything.

It has been one of the intriguing aspects watching who had dormant accounts and who actually was new to the site, quite a few had accounts, quinno for instance was contributing for a while then gave up, presumably due to the apparent lack of interest over here.

It has been a fantastic year though, the site feels like it is still coming to life and just gets better and better. From my perspective it definitely felt like Soup was the tipping point, and now a year on is proceeding to scare me with his one month challenge. Although saying that you scare me on a weekly basis on the BOTW thread Roger ;)

Soup Dragon
26-08-2010, 14:16
Is it a year already - it seems like 3!!!!

It was funny to see last July, the forum posts were 14, this July was 1000+. It shows what can be done with a working site. Most importantly, it is you and Dave that have responded to user needs and took up the banter - for a while last year i actually had more posts than you! It has been fun and great to have watched the site develop.

RogerB
26-08-2010, 14:47
I have a feeling the site was Regulars Reunited when I first signed up and I probably thought I would be able to locate a few lost souls from the pubs of my dim and distant past. It obviously didn't work. I did occasionally refer to PG when looking for pubs and sorting out crawls but never contributed until BITE finally convinced me that, despite my hardest efforts, I wasn't moronic enough to keep up with their ever spiralling standards.

It's got me thinking what else I have signed up for that I've done nothing with.

Conrad
26-08-2010, 14:54
I have a feeling the site was Regulars Reunited when I first signed up and I probably thought I would be able to locate a few lost souls from the pubs of my dim and distant past.
Actually a very fair point, I kind of forget that was our origin, I can certainly see why people would sign up for that and do nothing. Possibly it is an aspect of the site we should try and make available again.

Conrad
26-08-2010, 14:55
And 2 of those are the last 28 days!

trainman
26-08-2010, 16:24
Possibly it is an aspect of the site we should try and make available again.

Maybe, but Friends RU now have various 'places', incl pubs, where people can search for erstwhile contacts. Rival sites for that sort of thing may be 'facing' the wind? And, I don't know but, does that faceybook thingy have a search mechanism?

Or was the idea to provide a chatroom attachment to PG pubs, ie 'Does anyone remember...?' Hmm, that might grow legs?

Conrad
26-08-2010, 16:48
Not a fan of chat rooms, prefer the forums. Chat rooms are very reliant on all being on at the same time, also I like having the conversations for evidence, I mean posterity.

I have to admit if we did it again it would have to be through Facebook as an application to stand a chance.

trainman
26-08-2010, 16:56
Not a fan of chat rooms, prefer the forums. Chat rooms are very reliant on all being on at the same time, also I like having the conversations for evidence, I mean posterity.

Sorry, I wasn't advocating 'chatrooms', I may have used poor terminology - just wondering how Regulars Reunited appeared as a concept - the title suggests ability to contact people you haven't seen down pub for ages, or can't remember from last night...

Conrad
26-08-2010, 17:51
Ooops, completely got the wrong end of the stick there. You basically had the options of saying you were a regular at a pub or a visitor who wanted to leave a review.

I think if you said you were a regular, then any other member could send you an email through the site using a default template we created and at that point the sender gave away their email, it was up to the receiver if they wanted to reply and give away theirs. It was a while back though so I may have some of that wrong. I still have the old code somewhere, so I could just read it and see how it worked.

As far as I know it received no success sadly. However we did have a contact through feedback saying I know this reviewer, can you contact them and give them my email. It was a 2 year old review so I wasn't holding my breath, but they did get email me back and have stayed in touch. I still get regular updates as to how they are doing, so that has been one of the real behind the scenes highlights of the site.

Andy Ven
26-08-2010, 18:06

It will be interesting to see how much you've aged since I last saw you at the start of the month.

Football starts in just under a fortnight. Are you feeling fit?

Soup Dragon
27-08-2010, 16:32
i feel like a space hopper

Conrad
27-08-2010, 16:37
i feel like a space hopper
If you play like one you are about ready for Aston Villa (or Bristol City :()

Delboy20
27-08-2010, 18:35
If you play like one you are about ready for Aston Villa (or Bristol City :()

There is no need for that.... Never mind Europe - we are concentrating on the league ! (staying in it hopefully !!)

Back to the original point, I am another who registered ages ago and then did nothing. If it wasn't for Soupy ( Or Archivist - remember him ?) getting the board going I would probably have stayed in the background. As it is now this is my most visited website .. and long may it continue to be !

Soup Dragon
28-08-2010, 07:55
Or Archivist - remember him

ssshhhhhhhhh! never heard of him - he sounds like a right :twigs:

arwkrite
28-08-2010, 13:29
I have Soups to thank for bringing me here from what had become a three ringed circus. No fall outs, no windups and no Moderators who insult the intelligence of the members. Some people may think it is inhabited by shed dwellers, BOFs and forum "Royalty". But those who think that way were responsible for the death of a good forum. The rest of us have found a Comfortable Shed here where I feel welcome each time I log on. I am lucky in my choice of forums or perhaps just picky on the ones I choose to join.

Maldenman
28-08-2010, 13:36
I have Soups to thank for bringing me here from what had become a three ringed circus. No fall outs, no windups and no Moderators who insult the intelligence of the members. Some people may think it is inhabited by shed dwellers, BOFs and forum "Royalty". But those who think that way were responsible for the death of a good forum. The rest of us have found a Comfortable Shed here where I feel welcome each time I log on. I am lucky in my choice of forums or perhaps just picky on the ones I choose to join.

Spot on Arwkrite, sometimes though things happen for the better.

gillhalfpint
29-08-2010, 08:38
Couldn't agree more. I used to like the other site, but felt I needed to come out, and have enjoyed my time chatting here.

Strongers
29-08-2010, 18:49
I have Chris to thank for sending me here. I never thought I'd be thankful for the attitude of a bloke with short man syndrome! :lol: