PDA

View Full Version : The end of the Woolpack ??

Delboy20
26-08-2010, 09:33
Hi all,

Noticed a bit in the paper yesterday about The Woolpack - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41187/ - closing. If you want to tick it off you might be too late.

http://www.wharfedaleobserver.co.uk/news/news_local/8314325.Last_orders_called_at_Emmerdale_pub/

Seems a shame but it is the same old story - working too many hours, tied to a pub chain - you know the drill !

My parents have been in on a sightseeing tour some years ago but it looks like I never will. Anyone else paid a visit ? There is no review done, maybe someone can add one ??

Cheers,

Del.

ETA
26-08-2010, 10:06
Hi all,

Noticed a bit in the paper yesterday about The Woolpack - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41187/ - closing. If you want to tick it off you might be too late.
There is no review done, maybe someone can add one ??

Oh no - now we're going to get calls for reviews of the Rovers Return in Wetherfield, the Vic in East London and the Bull in Ambridge.

hondo
26-08-2010, 13:17
'Nay, Mr Wilks' :(

Al 10000
26-08-2010, 14:37
Oh no - now we're going to get calls for reviews of the Rovers Return in Wetherfield, the Vic in East London and the Bull in Ambridge.

What about the Dagmar in Eastenders it burnt down a long time ago did anyone get to do it before it burnt down.

Crossste
26-08-2010, 16:38
Has it been renamed. Did it not use to be called the Commercial.

Al 10000
26-08-2010, 16:47
I car'nt remember it being called the Commercial but the landlord had blonde hair and i think he got shot he also has a double barreled name but i car'nt remember it at the moment.

ETA
26-08-2010, 16:52
... i think he got shot he also has a double barreled name ...

...to go with the double barreled shotgun injury?

General Staal
26-08-2010, 19:57
I car'nt remember it being called the Commercial but the landlord had blonde hair and i think he got shot he also has a double barreled name but i car'nt remember it at the moment.

The Dagmar's landlord was James Wilmott-Brown.

Crossste
26-08-2010, 20:16
Meant the Woolpack.:D

gillhalfpint
26-08-2010, 22:32
We used to have a Reliant Owners Club rally every year at Esholt by the cricket ground where Emmerdale cricket matches were held in Amos's day. We used to go in the pub, and yes, it was the Commercial in those days and the name changed for filming. There was a Seth Armstrong look-a-like in the pub too. Haven't been for a few years now, but the rally is still held there as far as I know.

Al 10000
28-08-2010, 13:37
The Dagmar's landlord was James Wilmott-Brown.

Thanks for that General Staal i have been trying to think of his name but i would never got there.

oldboots
28-08-2010, 17:19
Thanks for that General Staal i have been trying to think of his name but i would never got there.

Didn't Dirty Den call him Collis Browne after the cough mixture?

BTW - Yorkshire Facts No 94 - Emmerdale isn't filmed in Esholt anymore.

arwkrite
29-08-2010, 09:17
My favourite TV pub is the one used as a local by The Likely Lads. It may only be a set in a studio but it so reminds me of the way public bars were. Men only places,sparsely furnished,bareboard floors , two or three pumps and selling little more than beer and fags. Even the black and white filming seems right.
Compare that "pub" with those used in Last of the Summer Wine where the 70s makes itself seen. Flock Wall paper,fake horse brasses, fitted carpets ,little stools and scampi in the basket. Pubs became less drinking houses and more your dining experiance.Were licencees trying to copy the steak houses of the time ? Whatever, I think these pubs gave the big pub groups the idea of corporate dining styles which drasticaly changed our pubs to what they are now.
Small pubs still seem to be popular with script writers, nostalgic little devils that they are. I have not seen any scenes taken in modern drinking barns full of single mothers drinking creches, migrant workers or out of their brains binge drinkers. ( Though Eileen was knocking back the cocktails in the Rovers the other night ).These writers really must get out more.

trainman
29-08-2010, 09:36
Though Eileen was knocking back the cocktails in the Rovers the other night

Cocktails in t'Rovers? Surely not? Didn't she get bladdered elsewhere & end up in the Rovers?

Oggwyn Trench
29-08-2010, 12:51
A few pubs in Oxford have featured in Morse/Lewis , in the one episode of Lewis a scene started outside the Eagle and Child , then cut to an inside shot where about 50 people were drinking in one room , you would struggle to get 50 people in the whole pub :confused:

Al 10000
29-08-2010, 15:56
Didn't Dirty Den call him Collis Browne after the cough mixture?

I car'nt remember dirty den calling him that but then again my brain has been befuddled with beer over the years.

oldboots
29-08-2010, 16:40
I car'nt remember dirty den calling him that but then again my brain has been befuddled with beer over the years.

I am very old and have a long memory for trivia, I watched the first ever episode of the thing and quite a few after that before getting a bit bored with it, is Dr Legg still around I wonder? And dear old Ena Sharples or Mr Swindley in Corry? And that nice Amanda Burton in Brookside, whatever happened to her?

Al 10000
29-08-2010, 18:01
I never watch brookside but i can remember Minnie Coldwell in Coronation street she was Ena Sharples best mate.
Ive never heard of Mr Swindley but Doctor legg seems to make an appearence about every 10 years so he is do one soon.

Strongers
29-08-2010, 19:09
I'm not one for soaps, but Dr legg is in the new daz advert!!!!

arwkrite
29-08-2010, 22:32
Mr Swindly ( Arthur Lowe ) owned a ladies haberdashery in Coronation Street. His young lady asistant was a certain Emily Bishop. It was the great case of unrequited love on Corrie.

aleandhearty
29-08-2010, 22:46
A nice little earner for the Harewood House estate these days.

And that nice Amanda Burton in Brookside, whatever happened to her?

Soon to be starring as the new headmistress in Waterloo Road apparently...I bet you can't wait.

The modern incarnation of Emmerdale makes me roar. It all went downhill when they dropped 'Farm ' from the title. No existential angst from lah-di-dah southerners in those days. Rather, Joe Sugden uttering such lines as 'Am just off to see t'tups in t'top field'. Or, Amos Brierley spouting 'A plate of bread and butter and a pot of tea, that's one and tuppence, if you please.' :)

oldboots
30-08-2010, 07:16
Mr Swindly ( Arthur Lowe ) owned a ladies haberdashery in Coronation Street. His young lady asistant was a certain Emily Bishop. It was the great case of unrequited love on Corrie.

Miss Nugent in those days of course.

oldboots
30-08-2010, 07:23
(Amanda Burton) Soon to be starring as the new headmistress in Waterloo Road apparently...I bet you can't wait.

Never seen it but she's better than watching that tw4t Morrisey. Of course Claire King from Emmerdale would be my choice before the lovely Amanda. (insert phwoar icon) - off for a cold shower now.

Gann
30-08-2010, 08:03

Yorkshire Fact no 95 - The TV series of All Creatures Great and Small was largely filmed in the Wensleydale Village of Askrigg and the Kings Arms Hotel http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29264/ was used as the Drovers in the TV series.

Basically unchanged still today so you can park your bum in the same seats that Christopher Timothy, Robert Hardy and Peter Davidson squatted on whilst drinking Theakstons...

oldboots
30-08-2010, 09:17
To continue the Yorkshire Facts series:

No 96 Heartbeat (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53447/)

No 97 Last of the Summer Wine (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40786/)

arwkrite
30-08-2010, 16:24
Miss Nugent in those days of course.

Thanks O.B. for reminding me. She was married at a time I did not watch the program. I got back into it when I met the last mrs. She was an avid fan who rarely missed an episode. So if you can't beatem then join em.

Delboy20
30-08-2010, 16:25
I'm not one for soaps, but Dr legg is in the new daz advert!!!!

I remember Dr Legg played a German Barman in an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet. One of the best series ever made !!

hondo
04-11-2010, 06:20
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8493213.New_deal_saves_former_Emmerdale_Woolpack_p ub/

Blackthorn
04-11-2010, 11:38
My parents have been in on a sightseeing tour some years ago but it looks like I never will. Anyone else paid a visit ? There is no review done, maybe someone can add one ??

There are a couple of reviews on there now. Slightly confusingly, mine is dated 2009, but that was the date of my original BITE review which I migrated across here which explains why there were none there when the above comment was posted. As it now seems to have re-opened hopefully you will manage to get there.

I thought I reviewed the Goathland Hotel (ie; "Aidensfield Arms") as well, but my visit must have been before I started reviewing. I will upload a couple of photo's at some point though.