PDA

View Full Version : Shrewsbury's six best pubs

General Staal
17-08-2010, 15:48
I am going to Shrewsbury with the father-in-law on Monday. I aim to finish in the Armoury where we will meet Mrs Staal and her mother for food.

Can anyone suggest five other pubs to crawl to?

trainman
17-08-2010, 17:45
Blimey, I have a list of 14 for Shrewsbury but haven't visited yet. I took advice from RobC but wouldn't like to suggest what his top 6 might be.
Sod it, i'll hazard Admiral Benbow, Coach & Horses, Bull in Barne, Dolphin, Three Fishes, oh but the other 8 on my list look good too...

Oggwyn Trench
17-08-2010, 19:01
All these are town centre not far from the Armoury ,
Coach and Horses , 5/6 real ales good atmosphere
Admiral Benbow , 8 real ales plus lots of real cider
Three Fishes , 6/8 real ales
Loggerheads , 5 real ales , very historic pub
Salopian Bar , 6/8 real ales , lots of Belgium beers , cafe bar style
Montgomerys Tower , 8 real ales , Lloyds No 1 bar
Wheatsheaf , 5/6 real ales
Nags Head , 5 real ales , lively atmosphere , historic , great smoking shelter

Finishing at the Armoury i would probally go Loggerheads , Three Fishes , Admiral Benbow , Coach and Horses then either Salopian Bar or Montgomerys Tower (it backs on to the armoury) , there are a lot of good pubs in Shrewsbury its hard to choose just five.

Dont be fooled by places like the Kings Head and Hole in the Wall , they look great outside but are crap inside

RogerB
18-08-2010, 09:10
Loggerheads, Coach & Horses & Three Fishes are the "must do's" with Loggerheads being my favourite pub in town. The Armoury is also good and the Nags Head has the best jukebox in town (and check out the medieval bits in the beer garden). I didn't like the Salopian as a pub although the beers are excellent and the Admiral Benbow was also good for beers but a bit sterile. The Bull is extremely popular for food and has a couple of decent and cheap ales but I wasn't enthusiastic about the pub itself. The Kings Head is Shrewsbury's Lorelei and should be admired from afar. The 2 'Spoons are fine for what they are but nothing special.

I never did write up all of the pubs after my Shrewsbury session - I must fasttrack the remaining ones and get them posted!

Quinno
18-08-2010, 10:45
Even though I was student at Aberystwyth I somehow never managed to do a proper crawl of Shrewsbury, despite it being on the train line (must rectify that soon!), however I can heartily recommend the Three Fishes from previous ad hoc experience. It was one of the first pioneering pubs to go no-smoking years in advance of the ban. The ales were always varied and well-kept.

General Staal
18-08-2010, 11:15
Thanks for these. The Armoury is the only Shrewsbury pub I have been in - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32178/

I went with Mrs Staal who was most interested in the shops. But as we are returning with the mother and father-in-law, Mrs Staal can go shopping with Eldrad (the female version) whilst I go drinking with Magnus Greel (aka Weng Chiang)!

ROBCamra
18-08-2010, 13:24
Thanks for these. The Armoury is the only Shrewsbury pub I have been in - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/32178/

I went with Mrs Staal who was most interested in the shops. But as we are returning with the mother and father-in-law, Mrs Staal can go shopping with Eldrad (the female version) whilst I go drinking with Magnus Greel (aka Weng Chiang)!

Can't disagree with Oggys choices, I used to visit all of them regularly.

But if you fancy a bit of a different experience, whilst on the way back to the station, then try this one.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/

Often only has GK IPA on, but call in for a quick half and wander around with a bemused look on your face. It's pretty unique. Every time you look you'll see something new, all of it bizarre. :p

RogerB
18-08-2010, 13:31
But if you fancy a bit of a different experience, whilst on the way back to the station, then try this one. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/ Often only has GK IPA on, but call in for a quick half and wander around with a bemused look on your face. It's pretty unique. Every time you look you'll see something new, all of it bizarre. :p

I'm surprised I missed this one - it's the sort of wierd place that generally attracts oddballs like me!:whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
18-08-2010, 17:38
Was going to mention the Yorkshire House , but thought i would go easy on the General as its a bit of a culture shock .:D

Conrad
18-08-2010, 17:42
Was going to mention the Yorkshire House , but thought i would go easy on the General as its a bit of a culture shock .:D
You've seen his avatar?

Oh, sorry I see what you mean, maybe the Yorkshire House doesn't deserve that :whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
18-08-2010, 20:32
You've seen his avatar?

Oh, sorry I see what you mean, maybe the Yorkshire House doesn't deserve that :whistle:

I started drinking in there about 1984ish , and apart from the murals it has`nt changed much , always been a bikers/rockers pub , but always very friendly all welcome

General Staal
20-08-2010, 19:44
You've seen his avatar?

Don't mock short, stocky, bald men with no necks, three fingers and go around in space armour!

arwkrite
29-08-2010, 06:05
I started drinking in there about 1984ish , and apart from the murals it has`nt changed much , always been a bikers/rockers pub , but always very friendly all welcome

Years ago it could be pretty wild. Some poor chap was involved in a scuffle on the pavement outside. Somehow he fell and hit his head on the kerbstone and died.I dont think the matter was taken further....but I could be wrong.