PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 23rd May 2021)

ROBCamra
23-05-2021, 21:09
:cheers:

Mobyduck
23-05-2021, 21:49
A week off work so a little bit of travelling saw me take in three southern cities, London, Winchester and Salisbury with varying results.

Cask
Crown & Anchor Ale (GK house beer)
Dark Star Hophead
Wadworth 6X
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Redemption Pale Ale
Burning Sky Plateau
Gun Parabellum*
Thornbridge Jaipur*
Red Cat Scratch
Red Cat Mosaic Pale*
St Austell Proper Job*
Downton Quadhop
Downton Apple Blossom Ale
Downton Wheat Stout
Hop Back Citra
Big Smoke Underworld*
Ashover Font
Wantsum Ravening Wolf
Severn Ruby Porter
Disruption Battle Royale Azacca *

Keg
Mondo Denis Hopp'r*
Exale West Coast IPA*
Guinness

Bottle
Cobra

Three beers in particular were excellent, Thornbridge Jaipur in The Southampton Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23788/) , Big Smoke Underworld and Disruption Azacca both from my more local Alfred (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/), almost impossible to split so I will go with the most recent and freshest in mind. BOTW is Disruption Azacca , 2651

Spinko
24-05-2021, 05:11
Twisted Wheel - Technicolour Beat

Several of this had in the Prairie Schooner in Urmston. Some more beers later in the Grocers in Cadishead but the name escapes me!

Thuck Phat
24-05-2021, 10:05
Some quality pub visits:

Cask:
Box Steam Soul Train
Marstons Pedigree
Burton Bridge Damson Porter*
Brew York Juice Forsyth (keg)
Blue Monkey Blubarb and Custard
Blue Monkey Infinity*
Blue Monkey Infinity +1*
Oakham Bishops Farewell*

Cans/Bottles
Northern Monk Scafell
Marble Lagonda
Oakham Citra T90
Marble Cubbio Damage
Vibrant Forest End of Days
Oakham Green Devil IPA (b)

I was impressed by the Damson Porter especially as it was from a brewery, Burton Bridge, that I'm generally disappointed by. Runs Titanic Plum Porter close.
BOTW goes to the excellent Blue Monkey Infinity +1 which was in superb nick. Rich, complex and dangerously moreish at 5.6%.

Bucking Fastard
24-05-2021, 10:16
South Norwood,Croydon,Nottingham and Richmond with some outstanding beers.

Vocation -- Tr-Hop-Ical (c)
Cloudwater -- DDH Pale (c)
Attic Brew -- This Train * (3PT) (keg)
Redemption -- Pale
Northern Monk -- Scafell Pike * (c)
Oakham -- Green Devil IPA * (b)
Magpie -- Five for Silver Pale
Blue Monkey -- Blubarb & Custard *
Blue Monkey -- Infinity *
Blue Monkey -- Infinity +1 *
BrewDog -- Punk IPA *(c)
Hacker- Pschorr -- Munchener Hell Lager *(keg)
Vocation -- Life & Death *(c)

Honorouble mention to Blue Monkey Blubarb & Custard for tasting exactly of rhubarb & custard while still being drinkable but with one being enough BOTW was always going to be Blue Monkey Infinity +1 on unbelievable form in The Organ Grinder (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31061/).Glad it's all downhill from there to the canal.

Next week end month session in Hertford.

sheffield hatter
24-05-2021, 13:04
A full week in pubs!

Monday - Tapped Ale in the Sheffield Tap and plenty of Kelham Island Best in the Fat Cat.
Tuesday - Chantry Iron & Steel in the Cutlers Arms, Rotherham.
Wednesday - the Blake Hotel for Neepsend Carmenta and Leatherbritches Bohemian Pilsner.
Thursday - a keg session in the Crow Inn: North Brewing Open Space, Little Earth Project Hedgerow Blend and two barrel-aged monsters from Mikkeller: George! and Black, respectively 13.8% and 18%
Friday - back to the Crow for more of the same: Black and Open Space again, and Little Earth Project Stupid Sexy, a Flanders Red.
Saturday - Blake Hotel for three very good cask beers: Neepsend Avena Stout and Kefka Pale, plus Pictish Maelstrom.
Sunday - a pre-match crawl of sorts: Sheffield Tap (Tapped Ale in very good nick) before catching the train to Leeds; a swift half of Thornbridge Astryd Pale at the Bankers Cat before getting a bus out to the Bingley Arms at Bardsey, where the Timothy Taylor Landlord was drinking well; then back into town and a quick stop at the White Swan where the barman mistakenly poured me half a Kirkstall Dissolution IPA before realising his error and giving me the same brewery's Black Band Porter, so I ended up drinking both (luckily only a half and a quarter!) before going to see the Rhinos lose in the rain at Headingley.

That's 11 pub visits, including my first new pubs visited since last December, and 16 different beers. The Landlord was the best I've had for years, so either they've tweaked the recipe or the cellarman here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42604/) really knows their job; the Tapped Ale was really good too, but the beer of the week is a straight fight between the ridiculously strong Mikkeller Black and the Neepsend Avena, a toasted oat stout, with the latter just shading it for quaffability.

Mobyduck
24-05-2021, 16:19
A mate who tends to drink less challenging beer than I, described the picture of my BOTW as looking like cat piss, well if that's what cat piss tastes like I'm all for it. :D

Tris39
24-05-2021, 17:16
No pubs yet and BOTW goes to the only beer I've had this week:

ELB - Pale*

(Consumed in part whilst walking past the aforementioned Southampton Arms).

hondo
25-05-2021, 09:15
Bristol Beer Factory - Subtropic

Wittenden
25-05-2021, 19:10
Kent

Cellar Head-Session Pale Ale. 3.9%abv. Tropical fruit,gooseberries and mint.Champion Beer of Kent 2021, and my BOTW.
Harvey's -Sussex Best Bitter 4%abv. Hidden depths of spicy goodness.

Probably overshadowing both of these was the contents of a mixed box of cans from Burning Sky,kindly given me by the future son-in-law.

london calling
25-05-2021, 21:56
BOTW was an absolutely superb cask pint of Jaipur in the Craft beer co Brixton
Less superb was the £5.80 it cost.