PDA

View Full Version : When I were a lad ....

Delboy20
11-08-2010, 14:51
Hi all,

Back in the 80's when i was a kid I used to collect matchboxes. I had thousands and as far as I know they are all stored at my mothers !! ( I couldn't bear to throw them away !! )

In fact i used to keep anything to do with pubs, beer, smoking etc.. - ash trays, bar towels, beermats - you name it , I collected it !!

I was sorting some old stuff out at the weekend and I came across these matchboxes. They must be from the mid 80's and i thought some of you may know the pubs. I have just had a quick look and the Waggon - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14884/ - is now a shocking pink colour.

My favourite is Pardoes, just up the road from me, it looks just the same now.

I thought I would share them with you, they may just bring back some memories !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Al 10000
11-08-2010, 15:56
Hi Del
The last time i was in Weymouth 2004 the Duke of Edinburgh was still operating as a pub and was selling Archers beers.

trainman
11-08-2010, 21:34
Astonishing that pubs even had boxes printed with the hosts names - X&Y welcome you...
I don't recall seeing any such items in the late 70s or 80s, but am very pleased to see the images here Del, thanks.

Delboy20
11-08-2010, 21:52
Glad you like them.

I will have a hunt and see what else I can find - I must have quite a bit of pub related stuff.

Watch this space ......

Alesonly
11-08-2010, 22:30
I notice most are made by The Conquest Match Co so my guess is there was some salesman going round Pubs & Clubs selling them as Advertising for Business Etc.
I Also remember seeing lots of Books of Matches with the Pub Club or Hotel details on the front as well in the Mid seventy's. Nice too see Old memory's Ive forgotten.

P/s this is one of them I think Duke of Edinburgh as it same street http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10161/

arwkrite
12-08-2010, 09:39
.When I was a lad you could buy three dinosaurs for a quid. I had a collection of them but when I left home Mother threw them out of the cave. She said they made a mess and the nice Neanderthal Man ,now in my bedroom, paid good money so as not have to share.
The only thing I have from my childhood is a WW2 souvenir from my dad , a bronze badge issued by the N S Health and Fitness League.Mind that is not the story he told me which was it came from a German Storm Trooper.Yeah , I bet Catterick Army Camp was over run with'em.

Conrad
12-08-2010, 14:39
I thought I would share them with you, they may just bring back some memories !!!
Good pictures, feel free to post them against the pubs on the main site if you like, as you say they are great memories of what used to be.

ETA
18-08-2010, 08:26
Have just stuck an old one for the Globe in Andover on - I might have a few more like that around.

Th one I've just put on dates from the 1960s, and it's interesting to see how little the pub has changed, but you can see how the building next door has had a roof extension done to bring it up to the same height.

Adding these old photos increases this site's value as a repository of social history, IMHO.

aleandhearty
18-08-2010, 09:03
Good pictures.... they are great memories of what used to be.

Adding these old photos increases this site's value as a repository of social history, IMHO.

Totally agree. However, what would increase their usefulness no end would be the facility to add the (approximate) date of when the photo was taken, alongside the submission date.

Delboy20
18-08-2010, 09:20
Exactly what I was thinking.

The year of the photo needs to be displayed to build a picture of how the pub has changed and developed over the years. I wish I had photos of the long gone pubs in my local town. I may be able to get hold of some and i will try.
I know that a friend has some photos of one of my old locals taken as it was being demolished.

Cheers,

Del.

Conrad
18-08-2010, 11:55
When looking at changes there are the standard few things I think about.

Potential for vandalism, I can't see much potential in this to be honest.

Technical (back end) difficulty, technically not very difficult to get the system to handle an extra date, it is already done with reviews, although hidden away.

User Interface, this is where I stumble on this one. Currently it is a minority posting old pictures (and long may they do so and more join them), this means it would be wrong to demand that every time you upload a photo you give a date. Instead then we should allow the owners to change the date of the photo, and I just stumble when I try and think of some simple way of asking people for the timing of their photo. And when I do think of ways they are just of a level of complication that makes it a change that can wait.

So if you can describe a simple interface that won't confuse the casual user this one will happen quicker, otherwise it will carry on hiding further down the pile at the moment.

ETA
18-08-2010, 13:03
What about a simple caption box with a simple default message for the uploader to change (eg "Date/Caption").

Anything inappropriate could be deleted at the approval stage, though if it took off it might mean a bit more work for moderators.

Conrad
18-08-2010, 13:22
It is such a few people uploading old images that I prefer not to hassle the majority (this would mean an extra click per picture for the majority of users uploading), also captions aren't actually that easy on the web, every time I have tried them they look sh*t. So for instance if you delete a picture, that is one of my failed attempts at a caption.

This is why I was erring towards a post processing method in my suggestion.

Conrad
19-08-2010, 12:36
Was mulling over this last night and realised I was being really stupid.

I am convinced it needs to go after the picture has been uploaded as described. This meant the interface would be best placed on the picture page along with the switch watermark and those sort of controls.

Having got this far my brain stumbled as I had the impression of a date input box along with a submit button which I think would look bl**dy messy. Suddenly realised that we could do a change display date button though and when this is clicked slide down the inputs in the same way we do with reviews, which would avoid the mess.

We could also preload the date with any date in the picture so those using fancy cameras or storage software would have a faster time of it. Really should have thought of this idea sooner as it is nothing new on what we have done, but I am terrible at designing screens.

Not sure how soon I could do that work, as I have loads of other stuff on, but at least I can see the solution to the whole problem now.