PDA

View Full Version : how many different pubs?

Soup Dragon
31-07-2010, 00:41
Greetings fellow PG'ers

How many different pubs would you say you visit in a month?

I am thinking of trying to do as many different pubs in a month as i can - from tomorrow, until the last day of August (bit of a swizz to get me an extra Saturday). Assuming you actually care, do people want to have a guess? Two things to remember, Mrs Soup and the Soupettes are away for a week:D and i am booked with Mrs Soup to be with friends for a weekend in York (and they like a drink too).:glass:

Now, to qualify, they have to be different pubs. I will keep 2 scores - different pubs in total and those that i actually rate on PG (this may take longer than the month to actually put on, as i will be out quite a bit). I dont have to drink a pint - in fact i am going for half pints this month for obvious reasons - and if the pub is s*it, i reserve the right to have a soft drink - but i cant count pubs i walk in and walk out of - if you are interested i will keep you all posted, if not, i will not bother - i just thought it may be a bit of fun.

Please remember, it isn't big and mature to get pi**ed :sick:, i am trying to actually drink as little as possible and i know you will have to take my word for what i visit, apart from when Andy Ven, or Staaly are with me! It isnt exciting i know, but it cant be worse than England v Algeria. By the way, Andy, we are doing a couple more pubs on Monday in Bloxwich!:cheers:

The closest to my total - and i could fail miserably of course - wins a free lifetime membership of PG from Conrad and Dave:rolleyes:

trainman
31-07-2010, 06:18
Please remember, it isn't big and mature to get pi**ed

D'oh! That's today's mission turned into a guilt trip!

I've no idea how much touring you intend, so I'll go for a conservative 97.

gillhalfpint
31-07-2010, 08:16
Just checked my Cornish month and I have only been to 18 different pubs. Mind we have revisited a few favourites.

Next month will be interesting for us as we will be touring up to Tall Ships in Hartlepool, Seahouses, Lochside Argyll, Kinross, Haltwhistle, Corbridge, York and Hull.

Might knock up a decent pub count myself.

oldboots
31-07-2010, 08:37
Please remember, it isn't big and mature to get pi**ed

Who told you that?:confused::nishelypished:

.....wins a free lifetime membership of PG from Conrad and Dave

Second prize two free lifetime memberships, .... boom boom,.... I'll get me coat.

I'm going to go for a grand total of 188 different pubs, only about 6 a day if you're concientious :whistle:

Soup Dragon
31-07-2010, 08:44
D'oh! That's today's mission turned into a guilt trip!

Naaah - that was for the younger readers of the foum - bit like the 'please enjoy responsibly' in very small letters on a Carling can

Soup Dragon
31-07-2010, 08:45
I'm going to go for a grand total of 188 different pubs, only about 6 a day if you're concientious :whistle:

Are you trying to kill me, OB!!!!

It is supposed to be fun!

Soup Dragon
31-07-2010, 08:52
Just checked my Cornish month and I have only been to 18 different pubs. Mind we have revisited a few favourites.

Next month will be interesting for us as we will be touring up to Tall Ships in Hartlepool, Seahouses, Lochside Argyll, Kinross, Haltwhistle, Corbridge, York and Hull.

Might knock up a decent pub count myself.

If in Corbridge, do pop into the Roman site (that is a Roman site, not the name of a pub!!!) - worth a look if you haven't been - if you do knock a decent count post it up here as well - in fact i think we all should, for a month, just to see how bad we actually are!

It wont take too much time for Conrad and Dave - 1 a piece boys, do you think?:p

Oggwyn Trench
31-07-2010, 09:10
This week i have been to about 30 different pubs , only 3 to drink in , the rest were work:(

RogerB
31-07-2010, 10:24
I reckon I get through about 20/30 different pubs in an average month (at least a pint in each). When I had a week in Cornwall I did just over 50 (and wrote them all up). My recent fortnight in Scotland clocked up 55 (which I am still writing up).

I'm not sure how many pubs are available to you to visit during the course of the month but if you are consciously trying to clock up pub numbers, only drinking halves and the pubs are there to be done, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit the ton by the end of the month. That's only just over 3 halves a day so very achievable given that a weekend in York should count for at least 30 of them.

ROBCamra
31-07-2010, 10:36
When we did a similar thing on "the other place" Millay and myself ended up joint top with something like 142 pubs each.

Admittedly for me there were two weekends away and several work stays in Birmingham/Shifnal/Wolverhampton/Shrewsbury etc involved in the number collected.

So on that evidence I'm going to guess at 140.

If you can't do 5 per day you're just not trying hard enough! :p

Millay
31-07-2010, 11:44
When we did a similar thing on "the other place" Millay and myself ended up joint top with something like 142 pubs each.

I remember that well, it was back in March 2009 that we set ourselves the task of recording the number of different pubs we visited. I think it must have given you double vision though as our actual total was 74 each. Although the forums have now gone I've managed to find a copy of my end of month posting and have tried to upload it here (only had it in .wps format which wouldn't upload, managed to convert it to a .txt file but it's not easily readable)

I don't think it will be that easy to hit the ton but I'll go for 108.

I was thinking of having a quiet month :whistle: but I suppose I'd better play the game.

Andy Ven
31-07-2010, 12:26
By the way, Andy, we are doing a couple more pubs on Monday in Bloxwich!:cheers:

I may have to do halves and bring a notebook with me. Surely not the George or the Prince of Wales....... or the Carousel!!!

ROBCamra
31-07-2010, 12:35
I think it must have given you double vision though as our actual total was 74 each.

I listed them in a Word document somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Doesn't the mind play funny tricks? I definitely thought it was well over the ton.

Well as is often said in our house.

"It's not often that I'm right, but I'm wrong again". :o

Following on from that.

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no-one there to hear it, did it make a sound?

and therefore

If a man says something in a forest and there's no woman there to hear him. Is he still wrong? :p

I'll stick with the 140 though, especially if we managed so many each without really trying and Soupy is going to try.

Conrad
31-07-2010, 15:23
It wont take too much time for Conrad and Dave - 1 a piece boys, do you think?:p
I take offence at that, Dave is actually beginning to investigate some of the city centre pubs since the site got busier. I'm sure it is not really being driven to drink though :p

1 sounds like a compliment to me these days though, just been put on the Co-codamol for a shoulder problem so even more excuses for me to be on the lemonade sadly :(, just call me the nominated driver.

gillhalfpint
31-07-2010, 18:02
[QUOTE=Soup Dragon;17250]If in Corbridge, do pop into the Roman site (that is a Roman site, not the name of a pub!!!) - worth a look if you haven't been - if you do knock a decent count post it up here as well - in fact i think we all should, for a month, just to see how bad we actually are!

Going to walk some of the wall while in Haltwhistle, and will put the Roman site down for Corbridge as I may get on the wall there too.

gillhalfpint
31-07-2010, 18:18
I always record my pubs as well as my beers so will see how many I do this month without really trying. Hoping to get a bit of walking in, with somewhere for a drink at the end of the day, apart from York where we will be combining the walking and drinking round a lot of the pubs there. Love them.

Other places we are going to are new to us so will be looking up any GBG ones we can get out to.

Millay
01-08-2010, 08:32
I am thinking of trying to do as many different pubs in a month as i can - from tomorrow, until the last day of August (bit of a swizz to get me an extra Saturday).

Could you just clarify the ‘rules’ here Soupy, are we including Saturday 31st July. I only ask as I did 9 yesterday and that will give me a flying start :p

I also thought it might be interesting to have a side count on the number of those pubs visited that were new pubs, i.e. you’d not been in before. I’m currently on 9 pubs, 4 of which were new ones for me (assuming of course that yesterday counts).

Soup Dragon
01-08-2010, 08:33
I may have to do halves and bring a notebook with me. Surely not the George or the Prince of Wales....... or the Carousel!!!

Naaaah, it isnt that important to me!

I was aiming for the magic 100. And i am not really, really going for it, just having a try!

I started yesterday and am out a little later with the Mrs Soup and the Soupettes for a walk around the battle site over Bosworth, so i am sure i will pop into a few on the walk

Soup Dragon
01-08-2010, 08:35
Could you just clarify the ‘rules’ here Soupy, are we including Saturday 31st July. I only ask as I did 9 yesterday and that will give me a flying start :p

I also thought it might be interesting to have a side count on the number of those pubs visited that were new pubs, i.e. you’d not been in before. I’m currently on 9 pubs, 4 of which were new ones for me (assuming of course that yesterday counts).

Yes, yesterday counted, Sir

However, i pip you on the flying start. I did 12, of which 11 were new (not rated before - as have been in some, but in the 80s!)

Millay
01-08-2010, 08:38
Yes, yesterday counted, Sir

However, i pip you on the flying start. I did 12, of which 11 were new (not rated before - as have been in some, but in the 80s!)

Great, the race is on then !!

Just starting my list so that I remember them all, and writing some reviews.

Soup Dragon
01-08-2010, 08:54
I also passed 3 that were closed - of course they don't count!

you watch, we will do 300 pubs each, and Gill will come on on the last day with 301

ROBCamra
01-08-2010, 09:36
Well I did 3 yesterday, I'll be doing another one on Monday and then that will be it for a while.

Do Greek tavernas count?

Soup Dragon
01-08-2010, 09:38
no, nor do public toilets with a half-drank can of Strongbow by the bogbrush

RogerB
01-08-2010, 09:39
am out a little later with the Mrs Soup and the Soupettes for a walk around the battle site over Bosworth, so i am sure i will pop into a few on the walk

Well make sure you're at the right battlefield!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/8523386.stm

Millay
01-08-2010, 09:51
no, nor do public toilets with a half-drank can of Strongbow by the bogbrush

What about a Travelodge or a Cafe Rouge?

They're NOT Pubs

Soup Dragon
01-08-2010, 09:59
Well make sure you're at the right battlefield!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/8523386.stm

Hehe - i know, it was the place that got me into history as a kid, so have been there loads of times - so i must have walked over the right one at some stage!

What about a Travelodge or a Cafe Rouge?

They're NOT Pubs

I agree. The Chase Park sports centre is on here as well. It is one of these grey areas where we all like to debate and whinge about. In theory, anywhere that retails drink and allows you to sit there and drink it, could be on here - the club house at Newi Cefn Druids FC has Ansell's MILD!

trainman
01-08-2010, 10:02
We did 9 yesterday & played 3 jokers. Amazingly, 5 were first visits for me, in London!
I won't be in a position to compete with the big guns over the month though...

RogerB
01-08-2010, 10:13
We did 9 yesterday & played 3 jokers. Amazingly, 5 were first visits for me, in London!
I won't be in a position to compete with the big guns over the month though...

I don't have enough planned for August to reach a ton and I would insist on a pint in each pub. Did 3 pubs in Tunbridge Wells yesterday prior to a Wonder Stuff gig at the Forum, 2 of which were new. Not sure where my next new pub is coming from at the moment.

oldboots
01-08-2010, 10:13
I was in 10 yesterday in York but I got bored waiting to get served in one:moremad: so it doesn't count. With heavy work commitments this month I don't think I'll even get to 50, but I will have to try :cheers:. Only one of the 9 was new and it was a gem, although one other has changed its name.

Al 10000
01-08-2010, 15:23
Am i in front in doing pubs at the moment as i went in 17 pubs yesterday that i hav'nt been in befor and they were all in the Peak District national park i also tried to get in 4 other pubs but 3 were not open and 1 had closed down.

Maldenman
01-08-2010, 16:01
Am i in front in doing pubs at the moment as i went in 17 pubs yesterday that i hav'nt been in befor and they were all in the Peak District national park i also tried to get in 4 other pubs but 3 were not open and 1 had closed down.

I hope you weren't driving then Al! :eek:

Just the four for me yesterday including three newbies now reviewed.

Delboy20
01-08-2010, 16:14
Greetings fellow PG'ers

How many different pubs would you say you visit in a month?

I am thinking of trying to do as many different pubs in a month as i can - from tomorrow, until the last day of August (bit of a swizz to get me an extra Saturday). Assuming you actually care, do people want to have a guess? Two things to remember, Mrs Soup and the Soupettes are away for a week:D and i am booked with Mrs Soup to be with friends for a weekend in York (and they like a drink too).:glass:

Now, to qualify, they have to be different pubs. I will keep 2 scores - different pubs in total and those that i actually rate on PG (this may take longer than the month to actually put on, as i will be out quite a bit). I dont have to drink a pint - in fact i am going for half pints this month for obvious reasons - and if the pub is s*it, i reserve the right to have a soft drink - but i cant count pubs i walk in and walk out of - if you are interested i will keep you all posted, if not, i will not bother - i just thought it may be a bit of fun.

Please remember, it isn't big and mature to get pi**ed :sick:, i am trying to actually drink as little as possible and i know you will have to take my word for what i visit, apart from when Andy Ven, or Staaly are with me! It isnt exciting i know, but it cant be worse than England v Algeria. By the way, Andy, we are doing a couple more pubs on Monday in Bloxwich!:cheers:

The closest to my total - and i could fail miserably of course - wins a free lifetime membership of PG from Conrad and Dave:rolleyes:

Hi Soupy,

I am always trying to go in "new" pubs. I actually set a target last year of 100 new pubs. I managed 138 over the year which averages out at just over 11 a month. My rules are the same as yours - I can't have visited before (renamed pubs don't count) and I have to have a drink ( pint, half or coke - anything will do !) I don't really go out all that often so it isn't as easy as it seems, especially when you have already been in most of the pubs close to home. Also Mrs Delboy doesn't go much on pub crawls so I can only tour when I escape !!

I set this years target at a conservative 150 and before last week I was at 79 - pretty much on course. After spending last week up North I have added another 19 so I am now in front of my target.

As for your total this month I will go for 121 - good luck !!

Cheers,

Del

Delboy20
01-08-2010, 16:20
I don't have enough planned for August to reach a ton and I would insist on a pint in each pub. Did 3 pubs in Tunbridge Wells yesterday prior to a Wonder Stuff gig at the Forum, 2 of which were new. Not sure where my next new pub is coming from at the moment.

Hi Roger,

How were The Stuffies ?? A great band "The 8 Legged Groove Machine " is still one of my favourite albums !!

I used to bump into Miles quite often in Stourbridge during my student days. What a pub the Mitre was back then. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38653/

Cheers,

Del.

Al 10000
01-08-2010, 16:50
No i was'nt driving it was my brother doing the driving and me doing the drinking.

General Staal
01-08-2010, 19:09
Just been in Aberdeen and done 6 pubs! Mrs Staal, as I have said, is very unpubby so I will not do that many. But I plan to get out to Lichfield, Brownhills, Bloxwich and Shrewsbury this month. Well, I plan too, but things always get in the way...

gillhalfpint
02-08-2010, 07:34
Seeing as some of our trip is in Scotland, and I plan to do some serious Hadrians Wall walking, I doubt I'll get 30 let alone 301 this month. Quite a few of the days will be travelling up country too. I am counting out of interest rather than racing, and as we moved up from Cornwall to Wrantage yesterday my count is 1 which I have been to before. Did get a photo of the Star at Vogue though as I noticed it needed one.

RogerB
02-08-2010, 07:42
Just been in Aberdeen and done 6 pubs! ...
Which ones - I am currently writing up my Aberdeen pubs - still have the Old Blackfriars, Aitchies Ale House, The Grill and Under The Hammer to go. Guess what I'll be doing today at work. :whistle:

Soup Dragon
02-08-2010, 07:42
I managed 5 pubs yesterday, while out at Bosworth - making 16 new and 1 revisited pub, so far. Shame to see the Black Horse is Bosworth is now a restaurant - mainly as it cost me another one on the pub count!

RogerB
02-08-2010, 07:52
Hi Roger,

How were The Stuffies ?? A great band "The 8 Legged Groove Machine " is still one of my favourite albums !!
I used to bump into Miles quite often in Stourbridge during my student days. What a pub the Mitre was back then. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38653/

This was the 18th time I have seen them and they are still excellent even though only 4 of the original 8 legs are still kicking (Hunt & Treece). I was even at the Big Day Out at Walsall FC all those years ago. I think it was a festival warm up gig as the Forum only holds 250 people so it was pretty intimate as well as hot and sweaty! The set was mainly a hits package with a couple of new songs. Miles is a lot less arrogant these days!

Soup Dragon
02-08-2010, 07:55
I have seen Miles Hunt a few times doing acoustic sessions - mainly at the old Little Civic and recently at the new Llittle Civic, Wolvo

Delboy20
02-08-2010, 10:56
This was the 18th time I have seen them and they are still excellent even though only 4 of the original 8 legs are still kicking (Hunt & Treece). I was even at the Big Day Out at Walsall FC all those years ago. I think it was a festival warm up gig as the Forum only holds 250 people so it was pretty intimate as well as hot and sweaty! The set was mainly a hits package with a couple of new songs. Miles is a lot less arrogant these days!

I saw them a couple of times in the early days. I think my favourite was at the Hummingbird in Brum in about 89 ( I think !)

Didn't Miles do the theme for a kids programme - Underground Ernie ??

Pubsignman
02-08-2010, 11:45
Interesting idea for a thread. I have no idea how many pubs I visit each month, but I would guess somewhere in the 20-30 region would sound about right, with around half of them likely to be new to me.

I'm already way behind most of you this month, as I only managed one pub over the weekend (thanks to being otherwise pre-occupied at a wedding) and I'm unlikely to catch up either, as I'll be off on holiday in a couple of weeks. That said, I have got plans to try and tick off a few of Croydon's more obscure (i.e. crap) pubs as part of my efforts to review all of the pubs in the borough, so I might still post a respectable enough number.

I'm going to guess that Soupy will make it to 106 different pubs. Good luck!

trainman
02-08-2010, 12:10
I have got plans to try and tick off a few of Croydon's more obscure (i.e. crap) pubs as part of my efforts to review all of the pubs in the borough

I just don't get it, but bless you for suffering for the greater good!
I was keeping an eye on the rumoured potential reopening and return of Rose&Crown, Church St, to the real ale fold, but things don't seem to be progressing. Shame, as I'm sure it could be an excellent addition to the location.

Strongers
02-08-2010, 13:02
I went to 14 pubs yesterday on an all day pub crawl that started in The Playa in Sheerness (waiting for admin approval) and then my misses dropped me off in Dartford where three more pubs were done before buying a travel card to visit the lovely regions of Bexley, Sidcup, Bexleyheath and Slade Green (good grief). I’m now at home on my own until Wednesday evening, but unfortunately I have a bathroom to paint and flooring to lay so I wont be able to take advantage of the freedom – It’s like wearing a tag!

RogerB
02-08-2010, 13:45
then my misses dropped me off in Dartford where three more pubs were done

I was in the Flying Boat, Wat Tyler, Paper Moon and Ivy Leaf last night (in that order) - our paths may have crossed at some point!

Strongers
02-08-2010, 14:12
I visited The railway Hotel, Royal Victoria and Stage Door so I wasn't far away.

Soup Dragon
02-08-2010, 14:55
just done another 3, all new for me, making 19 new and 1 return vist, 20 in all - out with Andy Ven later!

Dave M
02-08-2010, 15:04
You really are off to a bit of a flyer, I'll put in a guess of 111 for you for the month.

I've managed 3 so far, 2 new to me. I'm going to try to aim for at least 20 myself.

Pubsignman
02-08-2010, 15:09
I just don't get it, but bless you for suffering for the greater good!
I was keeping an eye on the rumoured potential reopening and return of Rose&Crown, Church St, to the real ale fold, but things don't seem to be progressing. Shame, as I'm sure it could be an excellent addition to the location.

I'm a bit of a sucker for punishment I suppose, but it makes me appreciate the good pubs a whole lot more!

I've been hearing rumours of a re-opening for the Rose & Crown for ages, but every time I pop down there to have a look, nothing seems to have changed. I've never been in there as it closed before I discovered it, but I've heard it spoken highly of from those who used to use it.

On a slight tangent, I see the Grape and Grain in CP re-opened last week (I only mention this because you noted it's closure in your recent review).

trainman
02-08-2010, 15:25
On a slight tangent, I see the Grape and Grain in CP re-opened last week (I only mention this because you noted it's closure in your recent review).

Interesting - it seems they have now taken on the lease, with Jack Beard's now out of the loop.
I did have a proper review on the place from my single visit (early in this couple's tenure), but I never posted it on bite because the profile was still suffering from the inherited (deserved) low score under the dreadful auspices of Jack Beard's at The Palace. Worth it for beer choice, tho decor a little sterile. Other than jdw, the only realistic option for ales in an area which should be so much better than it actually is.

Pubsignman
02-08-2010, 15:47
Other than jdw, the only realistic option for ales in an area which should be so much better than it actually is.

Yes, I agree, so it's great to see that they've managed to get the place open again. It would have been tragic if the G&G shut whilst so many other poor pubs in the area carry on.

You can follow the details of the whole saga here:

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/topic/9279-grape-and-grain-shut/

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/topic/9324-grape-and-grain-to-re-open/

HTM69
02-08-2010, 20:39
I visited The railway Hotel

Ah, one of my very favourites! ;)

Soup Dragon
04-08-2010, 16:01
Currently 31 pubs

Conrad
04-08-2010, 16:11
:notworthy:

runningdog
04-08-2010, 17:03
Don't think I'm gonna to read this thread anymore:sick:

Soup Dragon
05-08-2010, 15:48

Strongers
05-08-2010, 20:28
Blimey, you're certainly kicking on.... I guess 111 (Kingston to Heathrow bus)

Andy Ven
05-08-2010, 21:35

I hope you didn't count the Royal Exchange - closed at 10.15pm on Monday evening. Tsk!

Soup Dragon
06-08-2010, 08:56
naaahhhh - i have to have a drink in each one - whatever, pint, half or pop if a **** hole

I didnt count the Bell twice either when we nipped back in there when Exchange was closed. I may have counted the venue for your wake, after you nearly fell under the bus trying to flag him down!!!!

43 so far, out with Staal last night.

most are new - conrad can give me the stats of my comments since 31st at the end of the month!

What has happened to Hoppy, anyone know?

Conrad
06-08-2010, 11:36
most are new - conrad can give me the stats of my comments since 31st at the end of the month!

What has happened to Hoppy, anyone know?
You mean you are finding time to review these pubs, whilst finding time to do the visits, do you sleep?

Yeah, bit concerned about Hoppy, now over a month since he last logged into the forum. The last few times he has taken breaks he has normally had a tale of woe, I am bit worried that he might of had something amputated when he comes back.

Maldenman
06-08-2010, 13:41
Yeah, bit concerned about Hoppy, now over a month since he last logged into the forum. The last few times he has taken breaks he has normally had a tale of woe, I am bit worried that he might of had something amputated when he comes back.

I can confirm that Hoppy is alive and well and currently posting away on a football forum I read.

Andy Ven
06-08-2010, 16:20
I may have counted the venue for your wake, after you nearly fell under the bus trying to flag him down!!!!

Slight exaggeration but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story. ;-)

Conrad
06-08-2010, 16:32
Slight exaggeration but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story. ;-)
I wish I had thought to try falling in front of the bus a few months back (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1838-The-who-are-the-most-useless-shower-of-b*stards-thread&highlight=driver)!

Soup Dragon
06-08-2010, 16:41
Not Bloko trained, mate - that's why the driver missed Andy, he is used to drunks falling in the road in front of him:p

and there is a backlog of reviews to put on - may have a night off in order to catch up - well, when i say night off, i mean i will keep it to 5 pubs!

Andy Ven
06-08-2010, 16:46
They don't let you on once they have closed the doors, let alone pulled away. I must have an honest and sober face

Soup Dragon
06-08-2010, 16:50
The bus was half way to Pelsall by the time it stopped to let you on - more Bristol drivers, that's what we need

Andy Ven
06-08-2010, 16:54
You make me sound like Forrest Gump! At least I'm keeping reasonably fit during our football summer break.

Anyway, back to the thread. I've been in 8 different pubs so far this month - and I've got the Severn Valley Railway crawl next week - that's a lot for me!

Conrad
06-08-2010, 17:01
The bus was half way to Pelsall by the time it stopped to let you on - more Bristol drivers, that's what we need
Well it is certainly keeping me fit, as I cycle in preference to using a Bristol bus.

You make me sound like Forrest Gump! At least I'm keeping reasonably fit during our football summer break.
Somehow "Life is like a pint of Real Ale" lacks the same classic ring, but there is some potential there.

Andy Ven
06-08-2010, 17:02
Somehow "Life is like a pint of Real Ale" lacks the same classic ring, but there is some potential there.

That's mah Jennings .....?

Oggwyn Trench
06-08-2010, 17:47
I can confirm that Hoppy is alive and well and currently posting away on a football forum I read.

Thats OK then i thought he might have Spontaneously Combusted

gillhalfpint
06-08-2010, 22:35
My pub count so far this month is 5.

Star, Vogue where I had Woodlands Light Oak and Keltek Trevithicks Revenge.
King John Hartlepool JDW where I had 2 Daleside beers Light Breeze and Black Diamond.
Brewery Tap Hartlepool for 2 Camerons beers, Nimmo XXXX and Monkey Stout.
Causeway Hartlepool for 2 Ringwood beers, Showmans Tipple and Old Thumper.
Rat Race Hartlepool for Marble Summer Marble, Tryst Raj IPA, and Blue Monkey Guerrilla Stout.

Didn't count the Ward Jackson JDW as I asked for 2 beers one was not available and one had run out. Was told they only had 3 on, GK Abbott, Ruddles, and the other ale she offered was the cider. So I left.

gillhalfpint
08-08-2010, 07:24
Added 2 more pubs so my total is now 7.

Stopped into the Rat Race first and this really is a fantastic place to visit. Every time I was ready to leave, one of the beers changed so we ended up having beers from Yard of Ale, Tryst, Hadrian & Border, Hop Back and Brunswick. They have done a great job of this former newspaper kiosk on Hartlepool railway station, and while we were in there were about 15 - 20 people in there, full capacity with a group of 4 playing 5's and 3's on one of the tables.

New pubs were:
Jacksons Arms Hartlepool lovely clean back street boozer type pub with friendly staff and customers. Dart board and pool table. The best beer so far in terms of holding the glass up and saying that is how all beer should be served. First class. Enjoyed Mordue Workie Ticket and Wold Top Mars Magic.

White Hart, Hart Village. Pubmaster. Close to where we are staying in the caravan serving 1 real ale, Camerons Strongarm, but after the meal I had there yesterday won't be able to eat anything today. Enormous portions on large plates. Rather full but has two rooms either side of the main dooor and didn't get to explore further.

RogerB
08-08-2010, 09:45
After 1 week I stand at 27 pints (+ a sample) in 13 visits to 9 different pubs (I have included yesterdays solitary pint at Charlton Athletic in this). This is all through normal activities and I haven't made any effort to do anything out of the ordinary to try and boost numbers.

trainman
08-08-2010, 09:58
27 pints, 13 visits, 9 different pubs. This is all through normal activities .

Those activities sound like light duties compared to your norm Roger...

RogerB
08-08-2010, 10:10
Those activities sound like light duties compared to your norm Roger...

Apart from the England game on Weds I don't have much for this week either. After this week the non-league footy kicks in so a few possible mini sessions coming up. Darts away to Hampton & Richmond Tuesday week and I don't know many pubs around there so I will squeeze a few in pre/post match, all part of normal activities of course.

Maldenman
08-08-2010, 10:16
Darts away to Hampton & Richmond Tuesday week and I don't know many pubs around there so I will squeeze a few in pre/post match, all part of normal activities of course.

The Railway Bell http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59893/ and The Jolly Coopers http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27539/ are probably the pick of the bunch nearest to the ground. The Roebuck http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27543/ is a fair old traipse away but definitely worth it if you have time.

Oggwyn Trench
08-08-2010, 14:38
I am up to 7 , would have been more but a planned trip to Madley in South Telford fell through , of the 9 pubs i planned to visit 5 are closed , so i stayed closer to home and visited a couple of recently reopened pubs in St Georges , "Try our award winning real ales" proclaimed the boards outside the Bush , so in i went , one handpull with Blacksheep :moremad:

Soup Dragon
08-08-2010, 14:58
currently, 50 and am just off out!

Strongers
08-08-2010, 15:09
Looks like I'll have to make the effort to go out before you catch me up!:eek:

50 pubs in 8 days is obscene - I'm extremely jealous:bemerry:

Al 10000
08-08-2010, 15:32
1 new pub yesterday the Olive tree in Nottingham city centre this makes 18 for the month i dont think i will catch up now.

oldboots
08-08-2010, 19:03
currently, 50 and am just off out!

Did I say 188? I may have to have a rethink :D.

I'm on 21 different pubs so far, not much drinking possible Mon-Fri this coming week but a wee crawl of Leeds city centre next weekend should add up to a few pubs. (Templar, Wrens, North Bar, Mr Foleys, Town Hall, Hop and the Adelphi are on the list and I suppose a quicky in the Duck & Drake before staggering to the bus will have to happen;) )

Soup Dragon
09-08-2010, 22:10
now on 62 different pubs

gillhalfpint
10-08-2010, 08:39
Alas I am only on 8 without really trying as there are loads of other things taking my time up.

The Tall Ships in Hartlepool (just outside really - on the Hart road) is an Ember inn and had Taylor Golden Best in excellent condition and a more unusual find than Landlord. They also had GK Moreland Old Speckled Hen and Shep Spitfire. Good food as is usually found in these places.

I would have liked to have counted Hartlepool Small Craft Association, but the bar itself had no real ale on so I won't. The patio outside had a marqee with a brilliant Daleside bar inside. There were 16 handpumps showcasing a variety of Daleside beers and 2 Darwin beers, so we spent quite a bit of time in there yesterday. As we were leaving it started to rain, so we spent a bit longer. Had 2 new Darwin beers and 4 new Dalesdide beers. Superb condition and all very quaffable.

Strongers
10-08-2010, 11:46
I did a bit of a mop up of an area last night and got four more pubs. Should have been 5, but I couldn't find one of them (map point now corrected).

I'm on 18 now, which isn't really out of the norm.

gillhalfpint
10-08-2010, 20:38
No new pubs for me today. Had a carvery in the Schooner with family, but it is a food pub so had to drink coffee.

Made up for it in the Rat Race later, but I have already counted that one.

Move up to Beadnell by Seahouses tomorrow, and will be going to Low Newton for the brewpub, and see what else we can find in the 2 days we are up there.

Soup Dragon
10-08-2010, 20:40
65, but suffering a little

Soup Dragon
13-08-2010, 09:28
OK, off out to Stafford in a minute, but up until now i have done:

72 pubs......... 51 new pubs, 21 have done before, but i have re-reviewed 4 of them.

RogerB
13-08-2010, 09:34
OK, off out to Stafford in a minute, but up until now i have done:

72 pubs......... 51 new pubs, 21 have done before, but i have re-reviewed 4 of them.

May your Friday the 13th be fruitful! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Strongers
13-08-2010, 09:37
May your Friday the 13th be fruitful! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tha forecast says it's going to be a mild and wet day..... perfect for SD I would have thought.

Soup Dragon
13-08-2010, 10:03
God bless you, gents - the bus calls

Cost me a fortune this month - i had to but another note pad

gillhalfpint
13-08-2010, 17:51
Pub 9 Greys Inn, Embleton. 3 beers here serves up by a chap who knows his ale. BOTW here, Black Sheep Riggwelter.

Pub 10 Ship Inn, Low Newton. Finally made it, walked to it from Embleton, then walked back to caravan site between Beadnell and Seahouses. Glad we were not getting rain during the day. This is a superb brewpub, and had 4 ales on including their own Ship Inn Indian Summer. Great sitting on the green in front of the pub looking out to the bay enjoying soup and ploughmans, both served with amazing stotties.

Pub 11 Olde Ship Seahouses. 8 different ales on here, mainly regular breweries but the 2 guests were from High House and we enjoyed Nels Best and Auld Hemp.

Pub 12 Pilot Berwick. Friendly pub and enjoyed Wells Bombardier and Wylam Turbinia 10 years on, celebrating Wylam's 10 years of brewing by bringing back Turbinia with a little more finesse, according to the pumpclip.

Pub 13 Barrels Ale House, Berwick. This was also a friendly local and quirky with it. Loads of stuff on the walls to look round and a dentist chair by the bar. Brewdog Alphadog was the good beer here.

I have written the reviews and added some photos. Move on to Lochside tomorrow so not sure what pubs we will get round there. My figures are going to be so low compared to the rest of you, but I am aiming at GBG pubs.

trainman
13-08-2010, 23:48
... served with amazing stotties.

Gill, I'm certain that I'm not the only one here envious of your beer-ticking lifestyle but, to rub salt in the wounds, could you expand on the 'stotties'?
Ta, j

Maldenman
14-08-2010, 01:18
Gill, I'm certain that I'm not the only one here envious of your beer-ticking lifestyle but, to rub salt in the wounds, could you expand on the 'stotties'?
Ta, j

Sorry if I'm treading on toes here but having lived in the NE previously I feel qualified to comment. Stotties or stotty cakes are large round bread buns commonly quartered and sliced with various sandwich fillings. My own favourite used to be spanish omelette from a little shop near the Haymarket in Newcastle, eggs bound with potato, onion, lots of red sauce. Did the job for the day.

Very late I know, there is a new (feline) arrival at Maldenman Towers, she fails to comprehend normal hours.

gillhalfpint
14-08-2010, 08:10
You have described stotties very well. Huge quartered seed topped buns. The quarters with the soup and ploughmans were both so thick they had been neatly halved for me to spread the soft (unusual- usually rock hard) butter in them. Drool guys, drool!!

PS. I did a sort of meal like the one you described by slicing potatoes from a tin and frying them then pouring an omelette on top to finish frying both together. Must have similar tastes.

oldboots
15-08-2010, 16:21
Roughly half way through the month and I'm on 32 with only 7 new ones.

Soup Dragon
15-08-2010, 16:37
Currently 92, after a sober mini-crawl around sutton Coldfield, as i was playing footy there (the crawl could have taken place before the game). Only excitement today, was breaking my pencil, so having to learn to use the 'note' facility on my mobile. &0 of the pubs were new. Hope to do a couple of re-visits tonight - but have lots of reports to catch up on despite getting through a lot.

General Staal
15-08-2010, 18:22
I hope this isn't heresy, but I like to try a couple of new pubs, find one, then settle down, mould the seat to my bum and drink there till I can't drink any more.

Depending on the time of day, that can be 4 pints or 9!

I also only go to the pub once or twice a week.

I am currently trying to arrange a crawl with my brothers, Field Major Styr and Commander Stor!

Soup Dragon
15-08-2010, 18:44
Of course it isn't, mate - just a bit of fun for a one-off month.

However, you also like coming out on the crawls with me (et al) - tell the truth now!

General Staal
15-08-2010, 19:20
Of course it isn't, mate - just a bit of fun for a one-off month.

However, you also like coming out on the crawls with me (et al) - tell the truth now!

Of course I do Mr Dragon, but we don't do it four times a week!

I also enjoy our forays to four or five pubs on a Thursday. But our Thursday jaunts are usually to pubs we don't think will be much cop and would not usually dream of ever going into again. But we do turn up gems like the Pint Pot and White Lion in Mere Green and the Anvil and Reddicap in Sutton. And we also find pubs that we are disappointed with, like the Boot in Sutton!

gillhalfpint
15-08-2010, 23:00
After the drive up to Scotland and getting settled in the caravan, we walked into Forfar to visit the Good Beer Guide pub, The Plough. August pub no 14.

Only offering was Inveralmond Sunburst Pilsner 4.8%. It was freezing cold and had no bite at all. The food was excellent value for money though, and I loved the lasagne being served direct on the plate as a tasty solid meal rather in a microwaved to death pot with runny cheese on top. The beer got a bit of flavour as we progressed through the meal and it got a bit warmer.

Watched a bit of the ladies football match. Playing as hard as any mens game. Also some 10k runners came into the sports field at the end of their run. Scorching hot day and all this activity made us retire to the caravan for a lazy afternoon.

Plan to do Dundee one of the days while here as there is a bus but cannot use bus pass.

RogerB
16-08-2010, 10:29
As I expected, a poor week for pubs. My tally for the month so far is 45 pints in 20 pub visits to 12 different "pubs" (I have included 2 football grounds in these figures!). So far I have not managed a single new pub this month but this will hopefully all change this week with a couple of Dartford away games at Hampton & Richmond tomorrow and Farnborough on Saturday.

Pubsignman
16-08-2010, 11:16
I've managed to visit 21 different pubs so far this month, including 11 that were new to me. Things will dry up now though, as I'm off on my summer hols soon (although I suppose I can count all of the Croatian bars I visit as well!!)

Andy Ven
16-08-2010, 16:48
I've been in 8 different pubs so far this month - and I've got the Severn Valley Railway crawl next week - that's a lot for me!

Post Severn Valley Railway pub crawl I think I'm up to 19 now but it's so easy to lose count. I'm out in Bloxwich on Friday but there'll be at least one pub I can't count again so I'm expecting to only get to 21

aleandhearty
16-08-2010, 20:55
...but a wee crawl of Leeds city centre next weekend should add up to a few pubs. (Templar, Wrens, North Bar, Mr Foleys, Town Hall, Hop and the Adelphi are on the list and I suppose a quicky in the Duck & Drake before staggering to the bus will have to happen;) )

Would love to have met up for that 'ob', but wasn't available in any case. Be nice to have a few beers together again at some stage though.

Soup Dragon
16-08-2010, 22:40
98 now, with 73 new reviews - hope to break the 100 tomorrow, then i will aim for 100 new ones.

RogerB
17-08-2010, 07:49
98 now, with 73 new reviews - hope to break the 100 tomorrow, then i will aim for 100 new ones.

Totally impressed. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

oldboots
17-08-2010, 11:50
Would love to have met up for that 'ob', but wasn't available in any case. Be nice to have a few beers together again at some stage though.

A fine afternoon's drinking, driven by a careful choice of Leeds' finest pubs. Drop me a PM any time you fancy a day out.

Farway
17-08-2010, 13:23

Good God :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I was thinking of offering to meet up next time, if ever, you were in Pompey area :cheers:, but I have my doubts I could keep up with such a stalwart pubber :D

I do tend to stick with what I know, so just about 3 per week, very lightweight stuff

gillhalfpint
17-08-2010, 20:58
I am up to 20 after a good day out on a Day Rover bus ticket.

Dundee first and the 2 JDW's which were ok.
The Phoenix was a great pub, but the beer, Caledonian Mexican Bandit was bought without reading the clip. Lime!! Ugh! Horrid. Took a deep breath and then downed it in one so I would only get one taste of it. Hate lime.
Speedwell (Mennies) was a good pub with a couple of ales on. Chose a Chimay Red as well as the Caledonian Deuchars. Around 120 different Malts along the back of this bar.

Bus to Arbroath and JDW there had Wood Wonderful along with some food.
Lochlands was a friendly pub and had Hydes Loose Cannon.

Reviews and photos to follow. All were 2010 Good Beer Guide pubs apart from the Dundee Lloyds No 1. The other 2 JDW's were in.

Strongers
17-08-2010, 21:11

Ouch, how're the kidneys holding up? I tend to get a dull ache after three days on the sauce!

I'm on 33 pubs now, of which 32 are new ones to me and about 20 new to PuG.

RogerB
18-08-2010, 08:18
My figures got a timely boost last night with 8 pints in 8 new pubs (+ pint at Hampton & Richmond FC). Not too bad for an evening's work and a probable BotW thrown in for good measure (Twickenham Summer Gold). Shame we lost the footie (down to 10 men after 9 minutes didn't help) but it did at least mean I didn't have to sit at home and endure Spurs going 3 down in half an hour!

Grailhunter
18-08-2010, 11:13
My figures got a timely boost last night with 8 pints in 8 new pubs (+ pint at Hampton & Richmond FC).

I am just in awe of anyone who can visit 8 pubs and take in a game of football in one evening !
I truly feel very old !

RogerB
18-08-2010, 11:31
I am just in awe of anyone who can visit 8 pubs and take in a game of football in one evening !
I truly feel very old !

I actually ran out of pubs to do and caught an earlier train home than I was expecting to otherwise it would have been 9 or 10!

Quinno
18-08-2010, 11:52
17 pubs since the start of August, with 3 new ones in Sheffield and a new one in Dronfield Woodhouse - all superb.

Should clock up some more newbies at the end of the month as I am crawling Derby!

ROBCamra
18-08-2010, 13:09

The few beers together stage could well come about again at Todmorden Beer Festival 2010.

Weekend of 25/09/10 was the provisional date set last year. I'll need to check with the cricket club though.

Soup Dragon
18-08-2010, 15:09
:cheers:103 after last night

ROB, hope to see you in York for a swifty on Sunday, drop me a test text in advance!

Dave M
18-08-2010, 15:22

:eek: :notworthy:

Now if you could just do 8 more in the rest of the month then my prediction of 111 will be correct.

Evil Gazebo
18-08-2010, 15:53
Dundee first and the 2 JDW's which were ok.
The Phoenix was a great pub, but the beer, Caledonian Mexican Bandit was bought without reading the clip. Lime!! Ugh! Horrid. Took a deep breath and then downed it in one so I would only get one taste of it. Hate lime.
Speedwell (Mennies) was a good pub with a couple of ales on. Chose a Chimay Red as well as the Caledonian Deuchars. Around 120 different Malts along the back of this bar.

Glad to read that The Phoenix and The Speedwell are still good pubs. I lived in Dundee for a few years in the mid-90s, and had many good nights along Perth Road.
I could have warned you about the Mexican Bandit though, Gill! (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1771-Bloody-Awful-Beer-Of-The-Week&p=16536#post16536) :sick:

:)

gillhalfpint
19-08-2010, 08:00
I loved the style and friendliness of the Phoenix and Speedwell. Good pubs to visit lunchtime / early afternoon when quiet so it is possible to admire the pubs themselves when not crowded.

Won't be many pubs over the next few days as off to National Feast of Lanterns with Camping and Caravanning Club at Kinross, but if we can get out on public transport will have a look round the area to see whats on offer. May not be on line as no electric - just our solar panel, and too many days to take power with the converter.

Back Sunday evening in Haltwhistle hopefully.

Ugh! Brought back memories of Mexican Bandit....

Bucking Fastard
19-08-2010, 14:05
By comparison with Soup:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:I'm in the Spartan South Midland league of pubs visited but I have clocked up 22,18 of which were new visits and have now been reviewed.Most of those were lunchtime or evening stops on the way down the canal system south from Stone to Leighton Buzzard.
Still time to add to that total but with my sons as crew ,I will need to show some restraint on the next leg to Berkhamsted:(:(

Fortunately have come across some pubs this month worthy of the PoTM tag(including two in Cov:eek:),and also intend to check out the Wenlock Arms,Hoxton next week on an annual visit to see if there's been much change:drinkup::drinkup:

ROBCamra
19-08-2010, 14:19

ROB, hope to see you in York for a swifty on Sunday, drop me a test text in advance!

Will do. I need to test the phone anyway. I've just had to buy a new one after my last one went missing. :(

Soup Dragon
19-08-2010, 21:56
ok, on 108 and off to York tomorrow!

aleandhearty
20-08-2010, 10:42
The few beers together stage could well come about again at Todmorden Beer Festival 2010.

Weekend of 25/09/10 was the provisional date set last year. I'll need to check with the cricket club though.

After crying off Halifax I'd better whisper it soft, but I'm certainly up for Toddy at the mo. Enjoyed it very much last year.

Conrad
20-08-2010, 14:24
I'll stick with the 140 though, especially if we managed so many each without really trying and Soupy is going to try.
And to think I thought you were mad suggesting this.

ROBCamra
20-08-2010, 16:15
And to think I thought you were mad suggesting this.

I suspect that Ms CAMRA and I will visit about a dozen pubs over the two days. That seems to be about our average when in York, and we won't be trying either.

I'll bet Soupy gets 20+. There are at least that many good pubs in York. :cheers:

General Staal
20-08-2010, 16:28
I have just looked at the number of pubs I have been to and reviewed this month. Its 25! I am shocked and surprised that I have been to this many.

I am off on a pub crawl around the Jewellery Quarter with my brothers, Styr and Stor tomorrow (pubs I have previously been to, but some I will not have reviewed) and I off on a short crawl of Shrewsbury with my father-in-law, Magnus Greel on Monday.

I may end up with a season's best for August. I can't believe how prolific I have been.

Andy Ven
20-08-2010, 16:54
First outing based on CAMRA's book of Peak District Pub Walks tomorrow. I hope we don't get soaked.

Update: Managed to dodge the worst of the rain by sheltering in the Holly Bush in Makeney. If I add 3 from Friday in Bloxwich to yesterday's 5 around Belper, making 27 so far this month, (reviews all posted) does that put me in League 2 compared to the Premiership elite of Soup Dragon?

RogerB
23-08-2010, 10:30
A fine week of pub visits courtesy of 2 away games although it would have been more had I not been detained in the Prince of Wales in Farnborough for a 7 pint pre and post match session which prevented me from exploring wider afield. Damn Farnborough fans are far too friendly and welcoming. This weeks tally is 31 pints in 17 pub visits of which 13 were new pubs (including the 2 football grounds). My personal tally for August so far stands at 76 pints in 37 pub visits at 25 different pubs (including 4 football grounds) of which (I think) 19 were new pubs.

Dartford and Spurs both at home on Tues and Weds resepectively, John Otway at the Dublin Castle on Friday, Spurs again Saturday and Wilmington Cricket Club beer festival to fit in somewhere along the line as well so should end the month with a flurry.

gillhalfpint
23-08-2010, 14:56
After a dry weekend at Kinross, the Salutation there only had keg, and there was only keg Belhaven Best in the beer tent on site, we found a 2010 Good Beer Guide pub at out new location for 4 days. The Black Bull in Haltwhistle had 6 cask ales on, and the Ringwood Fortyniner and Theakston Grouse Beater went down a treat. That is pub 21 for me.

Will be doing some walking (weather permitting as it's chucking it down at the moment) but hope to get a day in Newcastle, and want to visit Good Beer Guide pub in Twice Brewed while here.

Soup Dragon
23-08-2010, 17:01
after York, where i managed to meet ROBCamra and Mrs Camra, i am onto 135 pubs and have cleared the 100 new pub mark and one vicious hot pot

:pray: please make it the end of August soon

Conrad
24-08-2010, 10:59
after York, where i managed to meet ROBCamra and Mrs Camra, i am onto 135 pubs and have cleared the 100 new pub mark and one vicious hot pot

:pray: please make it the end of August soon
I'm not sure if I want it to end or continue for ever. I am both affeared and impressed at the same time (certainly enough so to make up words).

Farway
24-08-2010, 14:11
Now if this was America, Soupy would be instructing his lawyer to sue PuG for a new liver

Soup Dragon
24-08-2010, 14:14
Now if this was America, Soupy would be instructing his lawyer to sue PuG for a new liver

God bless America and pass the no win no fee form for me to fill in!

140 after last night

Conrad
24-08-2010, 14:27
Well mine isn't allowed to be donated, so I'll tell Dave to get ready for surgery.

aleandhearty
24-08-2010, 14:39
pass the no win no fee form for me to fill in!

Soupy, you'll be lucky if you get a pound of liver.

Andy Ven
24-08-2010, 20:27
God bless America and pass the no win no fee form for me to fill in!

140 after last night

Are you still enjoying it or have you felt like it's a chore at times?

Soup Dragon
25-08-2010, 16:43
It is hard, i had a night off the pub count last night and just stuck to ones i have already done this month.

I will be pleased when it is over and am aime for at least 150, but will try to push it up to the 175 mark. Depends on how many i get done in Lichfield later!

gillhalfpint
26-08-2010, 07:28
After my day in Carlisle yesterday I am up to 27 pubs. Off to catch a bus to Newcastle in about an hour. About 8 pubs beckon us there, but we only have about 3 hours before we want the bus back.

Soup Dragon
26-08-2010, 14:21
up to 148 now. i will count until midnight 30th Aug, that will mean i did a 31 day calendar month.

RogerB
26-08-2010, 14:54
Do you have any plans for what will be the final pub?

Soup Dragon
26-08-2010, 15:20
Do you have any plans for what will be the final pub?

Not really, as i will be on holiday with the family, so i will take what i get, wherever i happen to be!

Of course, my final pub could be in Stoke Prior tonight as I feel like i am dying!:pray:

NEVER AGAIN

Conrad
26-08-2010, 17:52
Not really, as i will be on holiday with the family, so i will take what i get, wherever i happen to be!

Of course, my final pub could be in Stoke Prior tonight as I feel like i am dying!:pray:

NEVER AGAIN
You really should of tried to get sponsored for this, Resolve or a water company may have gone for it.

Andy Ven
26-08-2010, 17:59
You really should of tried to get sponsored for this, Resolve or a water company may have gone for it.

Balance your alcohol footprint by making a donation to AA or a hospital liver unit :)

gillhalfpint
26-08-2010, 22:18
After a great crawl round Newcastle today my total pubs this month total 36. Not sure if I will get any more but will look around Corbridge this weekend.

Strongers
26-08-2010, 22:37
After a great crawl round Newcastle today my total pubs this month total 36. Not sure if I will get any more but will look around Corbridge this weekend.

Your weekly coverage of the far far away lands of this lovely isle amaze me…. I just asked the wife if we could buy a caravan and she said no.:( I then asked if there is a caravan that can be pulled by my motorbike and she said “Yes, it’s called a tent”.

gillhalfpint
26-08-2010, 22:44
I have been asked a few times if there is a kennel attached for one or two of the lads who go to the same festivals as we do. They travel distances by train whereas we take the caravan and go on local transport to the festival meaning we can look around for the pubs too. Looking forward to Minehead, Darlington Rythm and Brews, York and Nottingham fests with the caravan before the year is out. Our tenting days are long gone!!

Strongers
26-08-2010, 23:05
Is there a community that travel up and down the country that go to all of the major beer festivals?
I’ve been to GBBF a few times as it’s fairly local to my old work and one year I ventured down to Twickenham for the beer festival there and it was good fun with many fine pints.
The trouble I have with ale is it can be very good or very bad and when doing my crawls which I do for the pubs rather than beer I cannot rely on all pubs serving ale let alone the quality so I usually drink Guinness. That said, my local doesn’t do Guinness and I do love going there knowing I do not have to make notes whilst I sup on the excellent Pride.
I’m looking forward to travelling the country when the kids are a bit older and I’m grateful to the contributors of this site for enlightening me on some of the finer areas to visit.:cheers:

Andy Ven
27-08-2010, 20:15
I’m looking forward to travelling the country when the kids are a bit older and I’m grateful to the contributors of this site for enlightening me on some of the finer areas to visit.:cheers:

Do you follow Brentford to away games?

Strongers
27-08-2010, 20:47
Do you follow Brentford to away games?

I don't really follow them in home games anymore as the misses works on Saturdays. I do miss it all and will resume my support when the opportunity arises. I’ve been up to Walsall, Crewe and Bury, but my other excursions away have been limited to the South.

Andy Ven
28-08-2010, 06:45
I don't really follow them in home games anymore as the misses works on Saturdays. I do miss it all and will resume my support when the opportunity arises. I’ve been up to Walsall, Crewe and Bury, but my other excursions away have been limited to the South.

I haven't been to watch Walsall away for a few years and I no longer have a season ticket but I do try to take my nephew to about half a dozen games each season.

I was going to suggest meeting up for a pre-match ale on 2nd April when Brentford come to town. Obviously, if Mrs Strongers is working and you have the kids it would be difficult.

Soup Dragon
28-08-2010, 07:51
Off to Weymouth in a bit, but current total is 155.

Millay
28-08-2010, 08:43

That's very impressive Soup :notworthy:, keep going right to the line though.

gillhalfpint
28-08-2010, 11:18
4 in Corbridge bring me up to 40. Reviews later as I'm running out of PC time on battery.

arwkrite
28-08-2010, 13:11
4 in Corbridge bring me up to 40. Reviews later as I'm running out of PC time on battery.

That is something else I have started doing since I have had a netbook....Looking for seats next to a power outlet. You may get some strange looks off women who suddenly tighten their skirts :whistle:but I have not been told off yet for using the pubs electricity.

Andy Ven
28-08-2010, 21:20
That's very impressive Soup :notworthy:, keep going right to the line though.

I think he'll trip over the finishing line.

Assuming he doesn't do a Devon Loch first.

:)

gillhalfpint
29-08-2010, 08:46
I have asked in pubs sometimes if I can go online to read my mails on their power, usually if in for a meal rather than just a drink though.

Got an inverter thing and using it in the car while its charging. No new pubs today, but 4 glorious days in York beckon from tomorrow.

oldboots
29-08-2010, 09:44
4 glorious days in York beckon from tomorrow.

I keep missing everyone in York; Soupy and the RobCamras last week, Gill next week. :(

I'm going there this afternoon as I have managed to cadge a lift over :cheers::cheers:. Sunday rail travel round here is not recommended.:moremad:

oldboots
29-08-2010, 16:51
OK fellow PuGgers, my final result as work forbids any ales tomorrow or Tuesday

Number of different pubs visited this month (31st July-29th Aug):- 45
Number of pubs never visited before:- 10

Number of pints drunk:- lots :lol:

Money spent on beer:- :eek:

Towns/villages visited:- 11

Strongers
29-08-2010, 19:13
Yep, I'm finished now - 43 pubs of which 39 are new... A bit slack!;)

RogerB
31-08-2010, 08:31
Unless Mrs B has a C.B.A. moment in the kitchen tonight, I think the month's up for me. Things got a bit messy on the numerical front last week with a couple of guestimates re pint consumption on a couple of evenings. To the best of my knowledge the final score for me is 107 pints (give or take 2 or 3) in 46 pub visits to 30 different pubs (includes 4 footie grounds and a cricket pavilion). No new pubs for me last week.

General Staal
31-08-2010, 08:51

I have just received a text from Soupy. He has hit 180 pubs and has now finished. He says he feels bloated and fat!

I may start a new thread with this news, in honour of Soupy's new beer belly!

ETA
31-08-2010, 08:56
I hadn't realised how hard this was goign to be to work this out. For the month:

27 pubs reviewed (although "reviewed" means "reported closed" for 3 and "reported name-change" for 1). Four of these were completely new to me.

Hard to work out, but I think I visited another 8 which I had reviewed in previous months.

Also drank beer in 2 hotels which aren't on here and I'm not submitting as they don't really count as pubs. (For completeness, they were the Northumberland in London and the Marriott in Glasgow). Also one private reception (in The Colony Club, WC2) and two London nightclubs whose names I have no hope of remembering(yes, I know, I am a bit old for that sort of thing but I was dragged along by a much younger relative. Honest.).

How many pints? Not sure but I think I may have exceeded the Government recommended number of alcohol points for the month.

gillhalfpint
31-08-2010, 09:54
Reckon Soupy has no chance of sorting his months unit total out.

We are hitting York today so may get close to 50 by close of day, and will sort out my stats for the month tonight if capable. Most of the pubs so far were first time ones for me, but York will be an enjoysble revisit to lots of favourites.

Bucking Fastard
31-08-2010, 13:38
No pub visit this evening so my modest total for the month is 28 pubs visited,of which 24 were previously unreviewed .In my defence I will say that I prefer quality to quantity,but many congrats to the heroic efforts of Soupy to boost the monthly review stats:notworthy:

gillhalfpint
31-08-2010, 22:07
We ended up with a total of 45 different pubs in August, 30 of which were new ones for us, so we loaded a few photos too.

Had 45 new beers funnily enough, and 53 beers we had drunk before.

Pubsignman
01-09-2010, 16:30
My end of the month total was 27 different pubs, 15 of which were new. All but six of these were in the first two weeks of the month.

I also had drinks in 10-15 bars in Croatia during my holiday and a pint at the Valley and St Mary's for Bournemouth's games against Charlton and Southampton respectively.

180 in a month is pretty special. By my calculations that equates to visiting a new pub once every four hours!

Andy Ven
01-09-2010, 17:25
I managed 31.

I had a text from Mr Soup this afternoon. He's back in the pub!!!!

rpadam
01-09-2010, 22:08
Final results:

41 pubs in the UK, including 21 'virgins' (of which three were new additions to the site) and 7 revisits.
plus
16 pubs in the Republic of Ireland - 4 in Dublin and 12 in and around Cork.

Soup Dragon
05-09-2010, 03:52
That was really hard going and i have put a lot of weight on - now i have to shed it all, not so much fun!

trainman
05-09-2010, 06:15
Could we have the final stats for this epic project please?
Exactly 180? Number of newbies? Number of pints? Recovery tactics?

Millay
05-09-2010, 07:41
Thanks to a 6-pub crawl around St Albans on Bank Holiday Monday I finished on 45. Nine of those were new to me including one that wasn't on PG (and still isn't, must rectify that today).

So who got closest to the Soupy challenge by guessing around 180

ROBCamra
05-09-2010, 08:45
Thanks to a 6-pub crawl around St Albans on Bank Holiday Monday I finished on 45. Nine of those were new to me including one that wasn't on PG (and still isn't, must rectify that today).

So who got closest to the Soupy challenge by guessing around 180

Conrad told me I was mad for suggesting a "mere" 140.

OB suggested 188 so I suspect he may be the winner. :notworthy:

Soup Dragon
05-09-2010, 09:51
Could we have the final stats for this epic project please?
Exactly 180? Number of newbies? Number of pints? Recovery tactics?

Yes, 180 in total

I have them all listed and will write them out if required, but, as Gill says, i have no way of knowing how much the intake was.

It seems like i counted 130 new and 50 revisits, however, that may vary by a couple either way, as i did a couple of weymouth pubs last year and i cant be sure if i counted them in the new or revisit!

i did another 22 during the rest of my hols and have a frightening amount of reports to write. Still haven't done York and a few odds from Stafford way - it took me a couple of hours this morning to load the photos - am knackered. I put on a lot of weight, modesty forbids to say how much, but i am just about to fix a puncture on the bike and a couple of game of footy, as well, as better eating over the next few months should work it off. Beer intake will greatly reduce, as well as visiting new places, as it was expensive and i need the rest. It remained fun for one month, but couldn't do more than that and it didn't help being on hols when the 31 day period finished, as i cant ignore all those great places down in Dorset!

trainman
05-09-2010, 10:23
The total is mightily impressive, and the number of first time visits perhaps even more so. What a fine beery adventure it must have been!

RogerB
05-09-2010, 10:38
My liver and I applaud you and your efforts! :cheers:

Soup Dragon
05-09-2010, 11:26
It's funny, but when i have loaded on photos after going to these places, you realise just how much others get around the country; ETA in Stafford, Ed popped up in Lulworth, Farway in Wareham, Mr A even visited the last pub i did - the Air Balloon in Birdlip, Gill in Stoke Prior, Pubsignman in Sherborne, HMS Bucking F just about everywhere and just about everyone in York! I half expect to see some graffiti in the gents saying this pub has been PuG'd (not from Gill, obviously).

Conrad
05-09-2010, 14:30
Conrad told me I was mad for suggesting a "mere" 140.

OB suggested 188 so I suspect he may be the winner. :notworthy:
You were mad, what I failed to take into account is that Soup is even less sane!

Soup Dragon
05-09-2010, 17:03
Should i be offended at that?

Conrad
06-09-2010, 11:50
Should i be offended at that?
Am I allowed to suggest have a drink and think about it? ;)

Personally I think Sanity is overrated anyway.