PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 16th August 2020)

aleandhearty
18-08-2020, 10:10
:cheers:

ROBCamra
18-08-2020, 10:43
Oops, brain freeze and forgot. :o Thanks a&h

While I'm here.

Turning Point - Disco King

Thuck Phat
18-08-2020, 11:46
Decent week:

Oakham Bishop’s Farewell*
Abbeydale Deception*
Adnams Ghost Ship
Bass*
Byatts Oatmeal Stout
Fixed Wheel Through and Off
Small World Twin Falls*
Hop Back Summer Lightening*

BOTW Small World Twin Falls A 5.2% pale ale with a bitter finish which ensured a successful 3 pint test. It just kept getting better. Taken in the excellent Kings Ditch, Tamworth.

Bucking Fastard
19-08-2020, 09:41
Some decent sessions,topped up with cans while navigating.

BrewDog -- Dead Pony Club (c)
Marble -- Berimbolo (c)
Adnams -- Ghost Ship
Marstons -- Bass
North Cotswold -- Hung,Drawn and Portered
Byatts -- Oatmeal Stout
Beavertown -- Neck Oil (c)
North Brewing -- Lost Cosmonaughts (c)
Fixed Wheel -- Through & Off * (3PT)
Small World -- Twin Falls
Northern Monk -- Faith (c)
BrewDog -- Punk IPA (c)

BOTW goes to Fixed Wheel Through & Off on very fine form in the very fine Kings Ditch (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82828/).Highly flavoursome 3.8% with a solid bitter hit ,a decent option while I try to rediscover my previous form of having a session on 5% plus ales,which seems to have deserted me at present.:(

Spinko
20-08-2020, 03:59
Thornbridge again, this time Jaipur in the Golden Smog.

sheffield hatter
20-08-2020, 19:10
Rudgate Brew No.34 Dinga Dinga (file:///C:/Users/willl/AppData/Local/Temp/2020%20Brew%20Programme.pdf) - an Australian inspired pale ale, full of Pacific fruits. At the Brook House Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54831/), Eskdale.

Anyone who has read my beer reviews or been on a crawl with me can probably imagine the dread with which I bought a pint of this one. And the first sip fulfilled my expectations, as it was pure pineapple juice. Then something amazing happened - there was an astonishing bitter finish which totally eradicated the pineapple, not just from that mouthful but from the whole of that pint and also the next two pints. Yes, I had three pints of "an Australian inspired pale ale, full of Pacific fruits" and enjoyed it immensely. Lord only knows what was going on there, but this was a superb beer.

Mobyduck
20-08-2020, 19:16
Rudgate Brew No.34 Dinga Dinga (file:///C:/Users/willl/AppData/Local/Temp/2020%20Brew%20Programme.pdf) - an Australian inspired pale ale, full of Pacific fruits. At the Brook House Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54831/), Eskdale.

Anyone who has read my beer reviews or been on a crawl with me can probably imagine the dread with which I bought a pint of this one. And the first sip fulfilled my expectations, as it was pure pineapple juice. Then something amazing happened - there was an astonishing bitter finish which totally eradicated the pineapple, not just from that mouthful but from the whole of that pint and also the next two pints. Yes, I had three pints of "an Australian inspired pale ale, full of Pacific fruits" and enjoyed it immensely. Lord only knows what was going on there, but this was a superb beer.

Your taste buds are maturing. :D

Mobyduck
20-08-2020, 19:46
Having deleted some notes on my phone, this is almost certainly not the full list.

Anspach & Hobday The Pale
Dark Star Hophead
Surrey Hills Greensand IPA
Draft House (BrewDog?) Oatmeal Stout
Siren Castilian Lemon + Honey Cheesecake
BrewDog Lost Lager (c)
Youngs Ordinary
Oakham Citra
Kent KGB
Branscombe Golden Fiddle
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Burning Sky Plateau

Some nice beer amongst 2 or 3 not to my taste , but needs must, the one that grabs the prize fairly easily and one that may well (or probably not ) appeal to The Sheffield Hatters evolving taste buds is Siren Castilian Lemon + Honey Cheesecake , served in a dopey glass in The Four Thieves (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24444/), but no matter, BOTW. The pub has probably gone up half a notch since my review.

Spinko
21-08-2020, 06:25

I need to correct something, it's pineapple jooce...

sheffield hatter
21-08-2020, 22:31
I need to correct something, it's pineapple jooce...

Very grateful.