PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 26th July 2020)

ROBCamra
26-07-2020, 21:51
:cheers:

Spinko
27-07-2020, 03:07
Joseph Holts bitter. Several in the Ape and Apple in Manchester on Saturday either side of a Chinese meal.

Thuck Phat
27-07-2020, 10:10
Choice still limited:

Brancaster The Wreck
Adnams Ghost Ship*
Beavertown Neck Oil (keg)

The Wreck was ok but slightly malty for my tastes so for the second week BOTW goes to Adnams Ghost Ship.

Bucking Fastard
27-07-2020, 11:10
Three pub visits and some cans.

North Brewing -- Lost Cosmonaughts (c)
Nethergate -- Old Growler
BrewDog -- Punk IPA (c)
BrewDog -- Dead Pony Club (c)
Oakham -- Citra *
Tring -- Tailchaser *
Northern Monk -- Faith (keg)

BOTW goes to Tring Tailchaser,a monthly special using heritage malts and experimental English hops (X35 what ever that is ?) and despite only 4.1% and looking like a BBB this was a fine quaff with some spicey notes and heather.Another winner from Tring,the change of brewer has made a big impact.Sampled in the Old Fountain. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/)

Next week more boat painting so trying to find rural pints before end month sessions in Hertford and Euston Tap.

Tris39
27-07-2020, 16:56
Sampled in Old Fountain. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/)

Next week more boat painting so trying to find rural pints before end month sessions in Hertford and Euston Tap.

Any trouble getting into the Old Fountain? I might give it a go if logistics permit. I'd love to see how they manage social engineering in the Euston Tap - if drinking outside, I wonder if the deranged junkies are still out in force along Euston Road...

Wittenden
27-07-2020, 17:46
Kent

Ramsgate (Gadd's) HPA 3.6%abv. A hoppy pale ale from the sage of Thanet. Ideal for a sunny Saturday.

oldboots
27-07-2020, 19:16
managed a couple of trips into Harrogate for some decent beers:

Turning Point - Disco King
Nightjar - Batfink
By The Horns - Diamond Geezer
Roosters - Yankee
Bristol Beer Factory - Notorious
Cloudwater - This beer is your body
Almasty / 71 Brewing - North Goes West
Daleside - Old Legover
Buxton - SPA
backed up with a few tins of Roosters.

Unusual to see a Cloudwater beer in cask format, it was Manchester Murky but BOTW is Nightjar - Batfink, the Turning Point is fairly hazy as well but "Knaresborough Murky" doesn't work as illiteration.

Mobyduck
27-07-2020, 20:34
London , Surrey & local.

Siren - Undercurrent
Kent - APA
The Kernel - Pale Ale
Hobsons - Evolution
Dorking - Surrey XPA
Disruption - Battle Royale
Hepworths - Conqueror Stout
Firebrand - Patchwork Rocket
Firebrand - West Coast Session IPA
Wantsum - Black Pig
Flowerpots - Perridge Pale
Oakham - JHB

Still finding a lot of cask rather lacking in any umph but the Firebrand Westcoast Session IPA had excellent flavour in The Alfred (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/). BOTW.

aleandhearty
28-07-2020, 12:45
And still no pub time.

Beavertown - Neck Oil. (c)
Thornbridge - Green Mountain. (c)
Camden - Show Off. (c)
Bad Co. - West Coast PA. (c)
Beavertown - Lupuloid. (c)

Getting quite a taste for this 'hazy Vermont session IPA'. Hardly surprising, considering it's dry-hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo. Look forward to trying it on draught at the Banker's Cat, Leeds, at some stage.

aleandhearty
28-07-2020, 12:58
Still finding a lot of cask rather lacking in any umph but the Firebrand Westcoast Session IPA had excellent flavour...

I'd never heard of Firebrand until somebody mentioned them on another site I dip into. Took a punt, ordered a mixed case and was very impressed. I also enjoyed the West Coast Session IPA, but the star for me was the Citra Simcoe NE IPA (6%). Knowing our tastes are quite similar I think you'd love that. Not sure if they do it as cask / keg though.

Bucking Fastard
28-07-2020, 16:52
Any trouble getting into the Old Fountain? I might give it a go if logistics permit. I'd love to see how they manage social engineering in the Euston Tap - if drinking outside, I wonder if the deranged junkies are still out in force along Euston Road...

Had to book a table at the Old Fountain and there was a lot less furniture than usual.Table service once you've ordered and paid on a QR code link,only two ales but both in top condition.Saturday last orders 8pm,but no pressure to drink up .Sloped off to nearby Craft Beer Co (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23323/). ,no t&t,served at the bar,pub very busy but you had to be seated.This was the least Covid aware pub I've been to.:eek:

Will report back on the Euston Tap,but it was chosen for it's outside options and we have had a lot of experience dealing with the human detritus in that area.;)

Mobyduck
28-07-2020, 17:12
but the star for me was the Citra Simcoe NE IPA (6%). Knowing our tastes are quite similar I think you'd love that. Not sure if they do it as cask / keg though.

Not had the pleasure, sounds good.

Bucking Fastard
01-08-2020, 16:41
I'd love to see how they manage social engineering in the Euston Tap - if drinking outside, I wonder if the deranged junkies are still out in force along Euston Road...

You can only go into the interior to order takeout beer and use the loos up the spiral staircase.No t&t although we all paid by card.Just two real ales on Redemption Trinity and Five Points Pale which got a hammering from the crew,all socially distanced outside.With very few office workers or commuters ,The Euston Tap was quiet even at 6pm on Friday.The keg range was also pared back .

The barman warned us about the industrial bag snatching that goes on outside,and the various beggars were all treated firmly but with respect by my colleagues.