26-07-2010, 21:01
The Bell Inn
Newport Road
Shifnal
TF11 8BP

Gents, this pub doesnt exist, i dont think it ever did

ROBCamra
27-07-2010, 07:35
When I stayed in Shifnal I walked up past the George to try and find this pub.

I didn't, and I gave up after about 600 yards, so I think Soupy's correct.

oldboots
27-07-2010, 08:37
There is a Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68130/) in Newport Rd, Tong which is just down the road from Shifnal, Post Code is TF11 8PS, could it be someone put down the wrong post code for the Tong one and it ended up in Shifnal as a duplicate for Tong? The address of the Tong entry is spectacularly unhelpful. There's also an Old Bell Inn listed for Shifnal on Yellow Pages, TF11 9AA

ROBCamra
27-07-2010, 10:07
There is a Bell Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68130/) in Newport Rd, Tong which is just down the road from Shifnal, Post Code is TF11 8PS, could it be someone put down the wrong post code for the Tong one and it ended up in Shifnal as a duplicate for Tong? The address of the Tong entry is spectacularly unhelpful. There's also an Old Bell Inn listed for Shifnal on Yellow Pages, TF11 9AA

The Old Bell is definitely there. I've reviewed it. :)

oldboots
27-07-2010, 10:31
The Old Bell is definitely there. I've reviewed it. :)

The one in Tong has been reviewed and photographed by Soupy so that exists too, cock up on the post code front IMHO.

ROBCamra
27-07-2010, 11:03
When you crawled through Shifnal I see you missed out the Odfellows Soupy.

Next time you visit (which you will because of the White Hart) give it a try. It's foody but the beer is excellent.

I used to know Mick & Judy at the Anvil quite well. If the "nice lady behind the bar" was blonde and had the other outstanding attributes of a barmaid, then that was Judy. :love:

One night when I went in Mick had been to the funeral of one of the regulars (an ex jockey) and was well pished and kept making racist remarks and was being very argumentative.

I decided to leave it alone after that, which is why I didn't review the pub on here. I'd rather remember it before my view was soured a bit. :(

Soup Dragon
27-07-2010, 12:49
When you crawled through Shifnal I see you missed out the Odfellows Soupy.

Next time you visit (which you will because of the White Hart) give it a try. It's foody but the beer is excellent.

I used to know Mick & Judy at the Anvil quite well. If the "nice lady behind the bar" was blonde and had the other outstanding attributes of a barmaid, then that was Judy. :love:

One night when I went in Mick had been to the funeral of one of the regulars (an ex jockey) and was well pished and kept making racist remarks and was being very argumentative.

I decided to leave it alone after that, which is why I didn't review the pub on here. I'd rather remember it before my view was soured a bit. :(

I drove all the way up to the Hare n Hounds to find the Bell and couldn't

I did them all, ROB, just not reviewed them all as yet, as i popped back last night to re-review the couple of places that my notes were too unreadable by the end of the night! plus Seven, Park House and the Railway

Odfellows was OK, Seven :twigs:

I was surprised you hadn't done the Anvil, makes sense now

ROBCamra
27-07-2010, 13:00
I drove all the way up to the Hare n Hounds to find the Bell and couldn't

I did them all, ROB, just not reviewed them all as yet, as i popped back last night to re-review the couple of places that my notes were too unreadable by the end of the night! plus Seven, Park House and the Railway

Odfellows was OK, Seven :twigs:

I was surprised you hadn't done the Anvil, makes sense now

I always used to stay at the Park House Hotel.

The bar is very nicely done but the only cask beer on offer was usually a poorly kept pint of Directors and much of the time it wasn't on at all.

I probably stayed there about 10 - 12 times and only went in the bar twice after the poor beer on the first visit.

They do allow non residents in though. The front lawn has tables & chairs on it in summer and is often full of locals when it's sunny. It's a good hotel.

Soup Dragon
27-07-2010, 13:05
I always used to stay at the Park House Hotel.

The bar is very nicely done but the only cask beer on offer was usually a poorly kept pint of Directors and much of the time it wasn't on at all.

I probably stayed there about 10 - 12 times and only went in the bar twice after the poor beer on the first visit.

They do allow non residents in though. The front lawn has tables & chairs on it in summer and is often full of locals when it's sunny. It's a good hotel.

Yes, being miserable, i went straight out to the lawn - i didn't touch the Directors to be honest and in Seven, the price of the coke was more expesive than Peroni - bizarre. I ended up in the White Hart of course!

Andy Ven
27-07-2010, 13:14
I was looking at the Park House website last night and wondering whether it would be a good place to stay, as a base for a night out in Shiffers....

ROBCamra
27-07-2010, 13:30
I was looking at the Park House website last night and wondering whether it would be a good place to stay, as a base for a night out in Shiffers....

The rooms are very variable in size. They're all nicely decorated and whilst some are quite small (not tiny though), some of the others are like suites.

I did notice that the more often I stayed, the bigger the room I was given. They also have some cottage rooms but I never stayed in one of those as they generally give them to long term guests.

Breakfast was good, but the restaurant is a bit "steak & chips" style.

I sat on the next table to James May at breakfast one morning. I'd wondered whose Porsche Boxster I'd parked next to in the car park.

If I'd seen him the night before I'd have asked if he fancied a pint in the White Hart. :p

Conrad
27-07-2010, 14:02
The Bell Inn
Newport Road
Shifnal
TF11 8BP

Gents, this pub doesnt exist, i dont think it ever did
Ok, deleted this one as it sounds like it is a load of rubbish. It was one of our original listings so no idea what particular reason it is wrong for.

I am not sure I followed the rest though, was there a feeling I needed to make address corrections on any of the others?

Soup Dragon
27-07-2010, 15:28
Ok, deleted this one as it sounds like it is a load of rubbish. It was one of our original listings so no idea what particular reason it is wrong for.

I am not sure I followed the rest though, was there a feeling I needed to make address corrections on any of the others?

No, Squire. The rest are fine!

Especially the woman behind the bar at the Anvil;)

Conrad
27-07-2010, 15:42
And so you decided we just needed a picture of the outside of the pub?

Soup Dragon
27-07-2010, 16:20
And so you decided we just needed a picture of the outside of the pub?

I, Sir, am a gentleman

Conrad
27-07-2010, 16:28
You'd think after a 1,000 posts you would know someone.

It is good to know that there is still more to learn though.

;)

oldboots
27-07-2010, 17:35

The entry (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68130/) for the Bell in Tong, gives its address as "A41" but the road's other name is Newport Road, no problem either way I guess.

Oggwyn Trench
27-07-2010, 20:21
The entry (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68130/) for the Bell in Tong, gives its address as "A41" but the road's other name is Newport Road, no problem either way I guess.

I think your right A41 is the Newport Road and the postcodes are similar , only other thing i can think of is a lot of buildings were demolished when they built the M54 through Shifnal , it crosses Newport Road , or its a name change , something thats popular in Shifnal , The Anchor , Taphouse and Nell Gwynne have all changed names in recent years

Conrad
28-07-2010, 11:26
Well I have hedged my bets and changed it to Newport Road (A41), hope that works.