PDA

View Full Version : Pubs near train stations

Dave M
03-05-2020, 16:46
I noticed mention of pub near train stations lists on the BitE thread.

It is something I started a bit of work on about 3 years ago and never quite finished.

If you check out pub pages you'll now find the train stations below the maps are links, it will show you a selection of nearby pubs sorted by distance. The list of pubs is a bit odd at the moment, as the data is from the perspective of the pubs rather than the station. If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.

rpadam
03-05-2020, 17:15
If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.
I'll vote for useful!

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 17:25
I noticed mention of pub near train stations lists on the BitE thread.

It is something I started a bit of work on about 3 years ago and never quite finished.

If you check out pub pages you'll now find the train stations below the maps are links, it will show you a selection of nearby pubs sorted by distance. The list of pubs is a bit odd at the moment, as the data is from the perspective of the pubs rather than the station. If it is something that would be useful I'll improve the data.

This is a good idea. Well done!

When you say the list is a bit odd, does this include how many pubs are listed? For example, there are about 60 pubs listed for Sheffield station, with a maximum range of about a mile. This seems reasonable. Darnall station (on the outskirts of Sheffield, and used by approximately zero passengers per day) has approx. 200 pubs listed, up to nearly seven miles away! Which is quite clearly crazy. Obviously you can't go through station by station, trying to determine which need tweeking, but setting a limit of, say 50 pubs or one mile (whichever is reached first) seems reasonable.

Dave M
03-05-2020, 18:26
When you say the list is a bit odd, does this include how many pubs are listed?

Yes, I will make the data more sensible at some point.

I'd be interested to know what others think should be the limits, as I'm not quite sure how the feature would be used.

oldboots
03-05-2020, 18:32
Darnall is supposedly the least used station in South Yorkshire with 13,024 passenger entrances and exits in 2018-19, for perspective Sheffield station has about 10,000,000. You can enjoy its delights here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCff5MNO8Y0)

Not sure which is the least used of the 2566 stations in the UK, Barry Links is low at position 2558 with 122 E&E up from a magnificent 24 in 2016/17 but the prestigious least used station is probably a tie between Denton and Stanlow & Thornton at 46 E&E.

Redcar British Steel has shot up the league table mainly I think because people go there as it was the least used in Britain, BTW you can't get out the station.

NickDavies
03-05-2020, 19:05
Yes, I will make the data more sensible at some point.

I'd be interested to know what others think should be the limits, as I'm not quite sure how the feature would be used.

For me, at any rate, it would answer the "I've got half an hour to kill before my train goes, is there a decent pub nearby that isn't the station bar?" question. I'd reckon five minutes walk for a 30 minute layover, a bit more if you've got to hang around longer.

Some places are hopeless anyway. Try Coventry, no station bar and the nearest pub is a shite Litten Tree that isn't worth dodging the traffic for.

london calling
03-05-2020, 19:27
Darnall is supposedly the least used station in South Yorkshire with 13,024 passenger entrances and exits in 2018-19, for perspective Sheffield station has about 10,000,000. You can enjoy its delights here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCff5MNO8Y0)

Not sure which is the least used of the 2566 stations in the UK, Barry Links is low at position 2558 with 122 E&E up from a magnificent 24 in 2016/17 but the prestigious least used station is probably a tie between Denton and Stanlow & Thornton at 46 E&E.

Redcar British Steel has shot up the league table mainly I think because people go there as it was the least used in Britain, BTW you can't get out the station.

Used to go regularly to Barry links in the 60s. No town near only the golf course as I remember.

Mobyduck
03-05-2020, 20:31
Very good Dave, however, probably a map problem but if you click on a balloon (pub) on the accompanying map, a bubble appears where presumably the name of the pub should appear, these currently are coming up blank.

Dave M
03-05-2020, 20:37
Very good Dave, however, probably a map problem but if you click on a balloon (pub) on the accompanying map, a bubble appears where presumably the name of the pub should appear, these currently are coming up blank.

Well spotted. Name should now appear.

On a side note, with the map I've made it so that if you zoom in it will filter the pub list to only those shown on the map.

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 20:52
On a side note, with the map I've made it so that if you zoom in it will filter the pub list to only those shown on the map.

Very sophisticated!

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 20:54
Name should now appear.

This is so pernickerty, and obviously you have better things to do (like throwing me off the site, if not out of the window) but the pub name on the balloon is coming up as "White Lion, The", when The White Lion would be so much nicer.

(Or just White Lion, if it's too tricky.)

Mobyduck
03-05-2020, 21:43
Well spotted. Name should now appear.

:cheers:

Aqualung
03-05-2020, 22:06
This is a really useful feature. There was a discussion years ago about the use of the "near a station" symbol in the GBG but this gets round that by listing the pubs by distance with the distance clearly displayed. I'd certainly like to see it continued.

Brainypool
04-05-2020, 07:03
Noticed some of the pubs have green thumbs up or red thumbs down next to them, what is this supposed to imply? Good pub/bad pub?

Blackthorn
04-05-2020, 10:10
Noticed some of the pubs have green thumbs up or red thumbs down next to them, what is this supposed to imply? Good pub/bad pub?

And I have both a solid red thumbs down, and an outline one?

AlanH
04-05-2020, 10:52

Seems mainly based on pub scores with solid Green around 9, solid Red around 4 or less and the "hollow" green and red in between but with some inconsistencies.
I guess this is a work in progress because I have seen a "6" with a hollow green and a "5.5" with a hollow red.

It IS a work in progress because pubs like The Fat Boar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52165/) had a hollow Red because of a low score as previous version "Black Horse" but has now been removed. Several have changed whilst I have been viewing, so sorry Dave, I'll come back later!

Aqualung
04-05-2020, 11:18
And I have both a solid red thumbs down, and an outline one?

If it's any help I would give a Marston outlet a deep crimson Thumbs Down and a Batham outlet a fluorescent flashing Lime Green Thumbs up!
I suspect the symbol is constructed from average recent scores.

Dave M
04-05-2020, 11:37
The Fat Boar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52165/) had a hollow Red because of a low score as previous version "Black Horse" but has now been removed.

Yes I was being far too harsh in assigning the red thumbs down - may have to remove those altogether as we just don't have enough data.

The thumbs are based on my weighted averages that were discussed recently in another thread. So for example The Drawbridge (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/424/) gets a thumbs down despite having a raw average of 6, that average is boosted by two one off 10/10 reviews but they are largely ignored by my weighting.

There are all sorts of issues around things like old ratings from previous incarnations that I don't have simple solutions to, but I think the green thumbs up might be helpful for a quick guide as to which pubs to look into first. I was thinking of the post yesterday from NickDavies regarding Coventry and wondering how far you need to go for a vaguely decent pub, the answer appears to be a 12 minute walk to The Old Windmill (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38185/) https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-near-railway-stations/coventry/

sheffield hatter
04-05-2020, 13:09
There are all sorts of issues around things like old ratings from previous incarnations that I don't have simple solutions to.

A simple solution would be to ignore all ratings attached to reviews under a different name, but one drawback would be where the name has merely been corrected.

Also, sometimes a change of name doesn't indicate a change of management; and vice versa, of course.

And do we really want to be giving a big red thumbs down to some pubs? Some pub owners might want to complain about that, especially if the review was very old and based on a visit under previous ownership.

These are problems that all stem from taking ratings too seriously, I would suggest.

Dave M
04-05-2020, 13:26
A simple solution would be to ignore all ratings attached to reviews under a different name, but one drawback would be where the name has merely been corrected.

Data is stored in such a way that it is actually quite awkward to do that.

And do we really want to be giving a big red thumbs down to some pubs?
Yeah I think it is probably a bad idea however I try to do it, just got carried away at 1am this morning. Going to keep the green thumbs as I think they are useful for giving a hint but red ones are gone.

sheffield hatter
04-05-2020, 13:35
Going to keep the green thumbs as I think they are useful for giving a hint but red ones are gone.

:)

Quinno
05-05-2020, 10:03
I'm loving this new functionality! Thanks Dave!

Any plans for rolling this out any further (tube would be most useful...)

AlanH
05-05-2020, 13:34
A new way to choose future PuG Crawls could be to aim for a Winfield of green "thumbs ups" within, say. !.5 miles of a main or central station.

I have spent another exciting lock-down day testing this out on old and suggested crawls.

Old Crawls
Manchester 40, Sheffield 32, Shrewsbury 21, Stockport 17

Planned Crawls
Birmingham 30, Preston 12, Winchester 10

Some past suggestions
Chester 25, Llocinn 21, Bath 16, Cardiff 12, Stafford 12, Stourbridge 12, Coventry 6 (plus 4hr 11min walk to first solid green!).

One suggestion in code to prevent early selection. You may need Alan Turing for this one.

sheffield hatter
05-05-2020, 22:35
Llocinn 21.

One suggestion in code to prevent early selection. You may need Alan Turing for this one.

I was criticised for moving it to the north when it's actually in the midlands, but you've moved it to Wales?

Pangolin
07-05-2020, 08:25
A really useful piece of work. Agree keeping just the green thumbs is a good idea too.

One add-on suggestion: is it easy to have a pin marking the station location? It can be easy to lose your place when scanning round the area in busy locations, and it identifies where the map people think the station entrance is, which is not always right. (I see Blackheath is still up country somewhere!!)

Dave M
07-05-2020, 13:51
One add-on suggestion: is it easy to have a pin marking the station location?
Good idea, I'll get that in there at some stage.

(I see Blackheath is still up country somewhere!!)
Ooops, I'll put that in the right place next time I refresh the data - if anyone knows of others in totally the wrong place I'll get them moved.

AlanH
08-05-2020, 00:54
I was criticised for moving it to the north when it's actually in the midlands, but you've moved it to Wales?

I am thinking of moving Norwch and Llowyrstfft into Wales next, but not Helston because it only has one green "thumbs up" (the Blue...something??)

AlanH
13-05-2020, 21:35

Ooops, I'll put that in the right place next time I refresh the data - if anyone knows of others in totally the wrong place I'll get them moved.

Could you alter the walking diversion which adds 4 or 5 minutes to every walk from Chester station. It says it takes 4 minutes to walk to the station bar you are stood outside and 5 minutes to the pub across the road which only takes 12 seconds! If you were short of time it would put you off visiting a pub by adding 10 minutes to the return journey.

AlanH
16-05-2020, 14:08

Another lost station! LONDON WATERLOO EAST. It has ended up 3 miles south of Gatwick Airport!

rpadam
16-05-2020, 20:15
Another lost station! LONDON WATERLOO EAST. It has ended up 3 miles south of Gatwick Airport!
Blimey! I know that the coronavirus has changed things beyond imagination, but I'm really starting to worry now...

AlanH
05-06-2020, 16:35

Blackheath Station is partly correct. It is still south of Buxton as the nearest station to many Buxton pubs, but if you select the station from there, it is in the correct place showing the Blackheath pubs.

London Waterloo East is still incorrect both ways. Still near Gatwick Airport as nearest station and only shows Gatwick pubs when selected.

AlanH
10-07-2020, 21:14
KIDSGROVE is another station that has Gone off the Rails.

It is 8 miles out of place in Abbey Hulton on a new housing estate East of Hanley. The Railway Inn near Kidsgrove station gives Alsager as its nearest station.

Selecting Kidsgrove station just shows the Abbey Hulton pubs 8 miles away.

AlanH
25-09-2020, 03:08
Another station gone way off track!

MILLS HILL, Chadderton Manchester is 21 miles out of place and giving the same results as MILL HILL, Blackburn.

AlanH
19-01-2022, 11:53
Another Station missing!

WORKINGTON not showing. Even The Cumberland Hotel opposite Workington Station shows "Harrington" (2.85 miles) as the nearest Station.

rpadam
19-01-2022, 17:17
Another Station missing!

WORKINGTON not showing. Even The Cumberland Hotel opposite Workington Station shows "Harrington" (2.85 miles) as the nearest Station.
Dave?

Pangolin
24-01-2022, 23:00
Another Station missing!

Found it!!! Clearly an attempt at levelling up/down or something - now at Bramley in Surrey! Nearest pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35831/)

Pangolin
24-01-2022, 23:18
On a different, but related, note - pleasing to see that newly-opened Okehampton is listed (or was this there anyway from the special Sunday services?) but perplexing why others like Soham and Horden are not. Does whoever it is we lift it from ever update their database I wonder? Carping apart, it is another useful facility.

trainman
25-01-2022, 07:30
newly-opened Okehampton is listed...
Ooh, that's interesting, makes Tom Cobley (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54683/) almost achievable, I wonder how the local taxis are -captive audience springs to mind, kerrrching!!

Update, but there's a bus... early Thursday mornings!

sheffield hatter
25-01-2022, 08:31
Found it!!! Clearly an attempt at levelling up/down or something - now at Bramley in Surrey! Nearest pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35831/)

That must have been quite an effort to find Workington station in Surrey. Well done!

AlanH
25-01-2022, 11:40
That must have been quite an effort to find Workington station in Surrey. Well done!

At least it was on "Station Road", Bramley, Surrey. :whistle: :lol:

A new record of 310 miles out of place, but only 103 hours walk!

Pangolin
26-01-2022, 10:33

Piece of cake for those of a logical (or devious) mind! Dave's handy links bring up a list, e.g. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-near-railway-stations/harrington. Change the "harrington" to "workington" and Bob's your uncle!

AlanH
26-01-2022, 14:20
Piece of cake for those of a logical (or devious) mind! Dave's handy links bring up a list, e.g. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs-near-railway-stations/harrington. Change the "harrington" to "workington" and Bob's your uncle!

Very logical, but "Brilliant" rather than devious :notworthy::notworthy::cheers: