PDA

View Full Version : Is pub photography permissible during the lock down?

Lady Grey
02-05-2020, 18:10
Is anyone else going out and photographing pubs during the lock down? It may seem a silly question, but I have been going out - as part of my daily exercise, to take the odd pub photograph, but you would be surprised at some of the looks I am getting - along the lines of, "you shouldn't be doing that." Every time I leave the house, I wear a mask and carry disposable gloves, if I need to do any shopping. I also observe the social distancing guidelines. And I am only out for a short space of time, not only am I getting much needed exercise, but I am helping to maintain my mental welbeing. So what is the problem?

Mobyduck
02-05-2020, 18:17
Is anyone else going out and photographing pubs during the lock down? It may seem a silly question, but I have been going out - as part of my daily exercise, to take the odd pub photograph, but you would be surprised at some of the looks I am getting - along the lines of, "you shouldn't be doing that." Every time I leave the house, I wear a mask and carry disposable gloves, if I need to do any shopping. I also observe the social distancing guidelines. And I am only out for a short space of time, not only am I getting much needed exercise, but I am helping to maintain my mental welbeing. So what is the problem?

Don't see any problem with it at all ,I've taken quite a few in the last month, I'm still working and luckily able to get out and about on deliveries so seizing opportunities as they arise,
( even if I am bending the rules slightly).

oldboots
02-05-2020, 18:29

Sadly situations like this can bring out the best, Captain Tom Moore, and the curtain twitching worst in people. It's a sad aspect of British life that some people are never happier than when feeling self-righteous or being pompous (see the Chief Constables of Northamptonshire and Greater Manchester Police etc), you think the British would never put up with a police state? Think again, some people would be are over joyed at the chance to shop their neighbours.

Aqualung
02-05-2020, 18:34
This is my interpretation and that's all it is as the guidelines are not precise. As long as you're not in the way of other people when taking the pic I can't see any problem at all. It sounds like you're not doing that. Driving around in a car or motor bike would be another matter as it would clearly be an unnecessary journey. I don't wear a mask or gloves as I have no cold symptoms. I've got some bandanas in case face covering becomes compulsory when I can become "The Man With No Name".

Lady Grey
02-05-2020, 18:39
Sadly situations like this can bring out the best, Captain Tom Moore, and the curtain twitching worst in people. It's a sad aspect of British life that some people are never happier than when feeling self-righteous or being pompous (see the Chief Constables of Northamptonshire and Greater Manchester Police etc), you think the British would never put up with a police state? Think again, some people would be are over joyed at the chance to shop their neighbours.

People who shop their neighbours are the lowest of the low. That goes for anyone who is joining in the latest past time of snitching on people.

Aqualung
02-05-2020, 18:48
People who shop their neighbours are the lowest of the low. That goes for anyone who is joining in the latest past time of snitching on people.

Surely it depends on what they are up to? If they are having a party or barbecue with no regard to the guidelines then why should they be allowed to get away with it? It's not happened to me but I don't have Donald J Trump as a neighbour.

Lady Grey
02-05-2020, 19:24
Surely it depends on what they are up to? If they are having a party or barbecue with no regard to the guidelines then why should they be allowed to get away with it? It's not happened to me but I don't have Donald J Trump as a neighbour.
I should have been a little more measured, with my response to Old Boot's post. What I meant to say was some people are tittle tattling about minor infringements like someone leaving their house, more than once a day ect.
I think this lock down is beginning to get to people, common sense is going out of the window. Today, I needed to pop into a shop to buy a few items, I had to walk onto a main road to avoid two people that were talking to each other, they would not get out of the way. So much for social distancing! Anyway rant over.

oldboots
02-05-2020, 19:27
I've got some bandanas in case face covering becomes compulsory when I can become "The Man With No Name".

Not sure how that's going to fit in with the surveillance society we've allowed to happen.

Aqualung
02-05-2020, 19:36
I should have been a little more measured, with my response to Old Boot's post. What I meant to say was some people are tittle tattling about minor infringements like someone leaving their house, more than once a day ect.
I think this lock down is beginning to get to people, common sense is going out of the window. Today, I needed to pop into a shop to buy a few items, I had to walk onto a main road to avoid two people that were talking to each other, they would not get out of the way. So much for social distancing! Anyway rant over.
I suspected that was the way you felt. I remember you posting about the Cheltenham Festival and in hindsight you were definitely right. I think you're entitled to rant! I spend a lot of the day feeling like that bloke in Clockwork Orange listening to Alex warbling in the bathroom above!

Aqualung
02-05-2020, 19:41
Not sure how that's going to fit in with the surveillance society we've allowed to happen.
It is a film reference not a general statement!

ETA
02-05-2020, 22:19

You could identify as a disabled muslim transvestite and wear a hijab or burkha while using a wheelchair to get out and about. No one would dare complain.

ETA
02-05-2020, 22:21

I quote enjoy your rants, Lady Grey.

Just don't get me started on 2m squares in supermarkets.

Spinko
03-05-2020, 08:24

There isn't even a stipulation of one trip outdoors per day. Usually I'm out three or four times.

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 08:58

The problem is that it's difficult to explain and for others to understand.

Before this all started I had several plans for mopping up some hitherto unphotographed pubs, all of which I have shelved because they involve travelling (in some cases) substantial distances to get to the pubs. The nearest, some country pubs between Sheffield, Chesterfield and the edge of the Peak District, are relatively local and I could do them in about three or four hours on my bike. The problem is, there have been instances of people in cars threatening cyclists, and I don't want to find myself on the wrong end of someone's self-righteous road rage.

Not going out to do these pub photos is, as you imply, detrimental to my feeling of self-worth. And thinking of the possible downside of actually attempting to do them makes me feel anxious. So I'm just forgetting about it for the duration - which is a bit of a blow because I'd been targetting ten thousand pubs photographed to coincide with the 10th anniversary of joining the site.

But it's much worse for some others, of course.

(I have done a few pubs that were previously difficult to get reasonable pictures of because of cars, buses and pedestrians cluttering the shot. And I've uploaded some older photos that I discovered by accident I had missed. But that's it from me for now.)

ROBCamra
03-05-2020, 09:28
Of course it's not OK to take photos of pubs, you won't be able to get the right quality.

There's not enough people around, so you can't get an identifiable person walking into the shot.

You won't be able to get a passing delivery van partially covering the pub.

There's nowhere near enough bollards and red & white plastic fencing around to ensure your angle of shot gets most of it in.

I suppose you could try putting Vaseline on the lens of your camera to ensure it looks like its been taken out of a dirty bus window.

A couple of people appear to have been using this trick for a while now.

So no STOP TAKING PHOTOS OF PUBS at least until lockdown eases. :evilgrin:

Lady Grey
03-05-2020, 10:09
Of course it's not OK to take photos of pubs, you won't be able to get the right quality.

There's not enough people around, so you can't get an identifiable person walking into the shot.

There's nowhere near enough bollards and red & white plastic fencing around to ensure your angle of shot gets most of it in.

I suppose you could try putting Vaseline on the lens of your camera to ensure it looks like its been taken out of a dirty bus window.

The strange thing about irony is - it is ironic!

Mobyduck
03-05-2020, 11:57

Just submitted another 10. :D

bcfczuluarmy
03-05-2020, 15:04
Just too lazy now to even bother considering driving my car to photo pubs especially as you can't go in one. I took a picture when I went to the post office while queuing purely because there wasn't a car parked in the way.

Tris39
03-05-2020, 15:23
I go to the supermarket every six-odd days and the corner shop for - ahem - 'essentials' for the Flaneurs Arms at least once a day and have never worn a mask or gloves. I doubt a mask makes any difference whatsoever unless you're close enough to smell a person's breath. It's laughable seeing couples out for a walk, one with a mask and one without; so they won't infect one another once in bed?
What is sad is seeing all the under-30s out and about in the parks in groups. They may be low risk, but they can still infect others.

As far as photographing pubs goes, of course there's nothing wrong. If a person can legitimately be outside, why can't they point a camera at a pub? I go out for long periods each day, usually quite late and I see some of the busiest roads in London almost deserted, with a person 300 yards away wearing a mask. What's more of a worry is all the young men charging around in fast cars at terrifying speeds - it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration to mount the pavement...

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 15:32
Just submitted another 10. :D

I hope you didn't take ROBCamra's advice too seriously!

Komakino
03-05-2020, 16:15

Just submitted a photo of this place (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86826/) (what? a wine bar, on a site named Pubs Galore?! I hear you all cry...) and realised that there was a reflection of myself in my nice pink jumper in one of the windows, so had to go for a 'Take 2'.

sheffield hatter
03-05-2020, 21:37
Just submitted a photo of this place (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86826/) (what? a wine bar, on a site named Pubs Galore?! I hear you all cry...) and realised that there was a reflection of myself in my nice pink jumper in one of the windows, so had to go for a 'Take 2'.

That's why you should wear camouflage when doing pub photography.

rpadam
09-05-2020, 17:53
Trying to catch up with some local(ish) pub photographs whilst we are out for our daily exercise, and have had no bother. Indeed, any comments have just been of the shared: "such a shame it's not open, we could all do with a pint" variety.

Tris39
10-05-2020, 16:49
Trying to catch up with some local(ish) pub photographs whilst we are out for our daily exercise, and have had no bother. Indeed, any comments have just been of the shared: "such a shame it's not open, we could all do with a pint" variety.

Given the number of people out on Primrose Hill (and doubtless many more over the hedge in Regent's Park) once again having picnics and chatting in groups of more than half a dozen, whilst the police glide past on the paths doing nothing, I doubt anyone's going to care about taking a pic of a pub.

Lady Grey
10-05-2020, 19:23
Whilst out photographing the other week, I happened to notice a local bottle shop that was open. I photographed it, but I am wondering if I should publish the photo anywhere. I do not want to get anyone into trouble.

ETA
10-05-2020, 19:33
Whilst out photographing the other week, I happened to notice a local bottle shop that was open. I photographed it, but I am wondering if I should publish the photo anywhere. I do not want to get anyone into trouble.

Off licences and bottle shops - including brewery shops - are ok according to the Government's own website JFDI.

Lady Grey
10-05-2020, 19:42
Off licences and bottle shops - including brewery shops - are ok according to the Government's own website JFDI.
Thanks.