The Ring
Rosemary's Baby
Salem's Lot
The Thing
Village of the Damned
The Wicker Man
Witchfinder General

Some great titles there.
I'd add Aliens to the list. Normally not a fan of a sequel but that was excellent.

I also have fond memories of the classic Hammer Horror films. We used to watch them late on a Saturday night when I was a kid waiting for my dad to bring a Chinese takeaway home when the pubs closed. Happy days..

Al Bundy
20-04-2020, 09:00
28 Days Later
30 Days Of Night
Abominable Dr Phibes
Devils Rejects
Dog Soldiers
Dr Phibes Rises Again
Evil Dead (original and certainly NOT any of the shitty sequels)
Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The Descent
The Mist
The Thing
Zombie Flesh Eaters.

I enjoyed the Hammer stuff and the old Universal monster films but its a bit of hard work watching them now. Probably best left to memory.

Komakino
20-04-2020, 11:48
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Les Diaboliques (1955)
Eyes Without A Face (1960)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Whistle And I'll Come To You (1968)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Se7en (1995) - although not strictly a horror movie, that scene where the guy 'comes to life' was probably (what is termed as) the first 'jump scare' I saw in a cinema
Midsommar (2019)

Tris39
20-04-2020, 16:10
Some great titles there.
I'd add Aliens to the list. Normally not a fan of a sequel but that was excellent.

Yeah. I put Aliens under all-time faves and favourite action film.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Les Diaboliques (1955)
Eyes Without A Face (1960)
Peeping Tom (1960)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Se7En (1995) - although not strictly a horror movie, that scene where the guy 'comes to life' was probably (what is termed as) the first 'jump scare' I saw in a cinema
Midsommar (2019)

Ah. The more intellectual viewer...:)

Komakino
20-04-2020, 18:12
Ah. The more intellectual viewer...:)

Haha. Thought I'd go a little more leftfield.

Lady Grey
22-04-2020, 12:37
The original Halloween - none of the god awful sequels and remakes.
An American werewolf in London.
Quatermass and the pit
The Devil rides out
The Omen
From beyond the grave
Theatre of blood - Vincent Price
Tale from the Crypt - Peter Cushing et al
Stephen King's "It" TV mini series
Can I include Hammer house of Horror?

Tris39
22-04-2020, 17:29
The original Halloween - none of the god awful sequels and remakes.
An American werewolf in London.
Quatermass and the pit
The Devil rides out
The Omen
From beyond the grave
Theatre of blood - Vincent Price
Tale from the Crypt - Peter Cushing et al
Stephen King's "It" TV mini series
Can I include Hammer house of Horror?

Certainly can include Hammer House of Horror, even though it wasn't a film.

Lady Grey
22-04-2020, 21:52
Certainly can include Hammer House of Horror, even though it wasn't a film.
Thanks.

Aqualung
22-04-2020, 23:09
I remember from years ago seeing a film on TV that was in Black and White and I think was about a girl with schizophrenia. I seem to recall a scene where she was walking in a hallway or corridor and hands were appearing from the walls trying to grab her. That's about all I can remember but it was scary. Of course Psycho was in Black and White and probably better for it.

Quinno
23-04-2020, 10:08
Some excellent suggestions elsewhere which I have added in my to-watch wish list!

Mine (the line between horror and pyschological thriller can be thin);

28 Days Later
Alien
Asylum
Blair Witch Project (not trendy to like it these days, but in context of it being a micro-budget indie, it's good)
Carrie (surprised this had a mention yet!)
Don't Look Now
The Exorcist
Das Experiment
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Misery
Nosferatu (I was lucky enough to see this with a live score, which was brilliant)
The Omen
Quatermass and the Pit
Shallow Grave (the first 18 I got into, under age!)
The Shining
Terminator
The Thing
Threads
Village of the Damned
The Wicker Man
Zodiac

Hammer House of Horror had three or four really good episodes. The Two Faces of Evil still stands up well now..

EDIT: Whistle and I'll Come to You has been recommended by the missus.

Tris39
23-04-2020, 16:55
I remember from years ago seeing a film on TV that was in Black and White and I think was about a girl with schizophrenia. I seem to recall a scene where she was walking in a hallway or corridor and hands were appearing from the walls trying to grab her. That's about all I can remember but it was scary. Of course Psycho was in Black and White and probably better for it.

Was it this? (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468985/)

Aqualung
23-04-2020, 20:01
Was it this? (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468985/)

That would have been horror in the extreme!

I've looked it up and it was actually a 1965 film by Roman Polanski called Repulsion. I would have seen it before his fleeing from the USA.

oldboots
23-04-2020, 20:14
Eraserhead - or is that just weird?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Night Porter

Mobyduck
23-04-2020, 21:20
Eraserhead - or is that just weird?

Thats weird, mind you every time I've ever watched it was very late night after a skinfull.

Komakino
24-04-2020, 01:25
Some excellent suggestions elsewhere which I have added in my to-watch wish list!

Mine (the line between horror and pyschological thriller can be thin);

28 Days Later
Alien
Asylum
Blair Witch Project (not trendy to like it these days, but in context of it being a micro-budget indie, it's good)
Carrie (surprised this had a mention yet!)
Don't Look Now
The Exorcist
Das Experiment
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Misery
Nosferatu (I was lucky enough to see this with a live score, which was brilliant)
The Omen
Quatermass and the Pit
Shallow Grave (the first 18 I got into, under age!)
The Shining
Terminator
The Thing
Threads
Village of the Damned
The Wicker Man
Zodiac

Hammer House of Horror had three or four really good episodes. The Two Faces of Evil still stands up well now..

EDIT: Whistle and I'll Come to You has been recommended by the missus.

Had forgotten about Whistle and I'll Come to You. Michael Hordern is superb in it.

london calling
25-04-2020, 19:53
Texas Chainsaw massacre frightened the shit out of me. Seemed tame on my last viewing but not on my first viewing as a 20 year old.
the Hills have Eyes and as mentioned before Psycho were pretty frightening

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 19:59
As an impressionable youth The Birds worried me.When out boating in the coutryside and seeing a line of them on a power cable,I still get a little concerned.;)

london calling
25-04-2020, 20:20
As an impressionable youth The Birds worried me.When out boating in the coutryside and seeing a line of them on a power cable,I still get a little concerned.;)
I really got freaked out by Psycho and was probably traumatised by it for a few months after.(although traumatised wasn't a word then so they just said stop acting like a big sissy.Foggy days were the worst.)

rpadam
25-04-2020, 20:21
Be worried... be very worried... those flying dinosaurs... ARE out to get you... they are just biding their time!

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 20:56
Be worried... be very worried... those flying dinosaurs... ARE out to get you... they are just biding their time!

Don't I know it :eek:

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 21:16
I queued up to see Jaws on it's release in a cinema on the Bristol Road,Birmingham , it was packed.The reaction to some memorable scenes was unbelievable and hysteria ruled.I had to down a considerable amount of Davenports afterwards to regain equilibrium.

rpadam
25-04-2020, 22:22
I know that Deliverance isn't classed as a horror film, but it still creeps me out more than a genuine frightener such as (say) The Descent.

Al Bundy
26-04-2020, 07:34
Texas Chainsaw massacre frightened the shit out of me. Seemed tame on my last viewing but not on my first viewing as a 20 year old.
the Hills have Eyes and as mentioned before Psycho were pretty frightening

Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre can only be watched now with the mute button engaged. The screaming woman in it just grates now.

london calling
26-04-2020, 21:38
I know that Deliverance isn't classed as a horror film, but it still creeps me out more than a genuine frightener such as (say) The Descent.

There is one scene in it that creeps most men.

Tris39
27-04-2020, 15:46

David Cameron probably thinks Deliverance is a documentary - 'Squeal lil' piggy!".

Tris39
08-05-2020, 14:34
Forgot to mention The Fog which is quite scary.

Quinno
08-05-2020, 19:38
Forgot to mention The Fog which is quite scary.

Excellent shout!

Tris39
09-05-2020, 16:04
Excellent shout!

John Carpenter's lesser-known Christine isn't too bad either.

Tris39
10-06-2020, 18:06
And forgot about Manhunter, which was a sequel to Silence of the Lambs but filmed first and remade 16 years later under its original title of the inferior Red Dragon.