Monty Python
Laurel & Hardy
The Fast Show
Only Fools And Horses

Delboy20
19-04-2020, 15:48
John Cleese
Vic and Bob
The Dangerous Brothers (in fact pretty much anything Rik Mayall has ever done)
Morecombe and Wise
David Jason
Two Ronnies
Griff and Jones
Harold Lloyd
Laurel and Hardy
Harry Enfield

Tris39
19-04-2020, 17:42
Maybe not to everyones taste...

Billy Connolly
Reeves & Mortimer
Peter Sellers
Spike Milligan
Derek & Clive
Monty Python
Laurel & Hardy
The Fast Show
Only Fools And Horses

Yup. Some greatness here but I really didn't get The Fast Show. I really liked the Ralph and Ted bit but the rest seemed repetitive and then there was that coughing man in the shed who appeared to be a rip-off of Jack Hargreaves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlOGdWxJQTE&list=PLE4VoXqGEek_5wCQJJrp-ZE8slDNL1gwc&index=10&t=0s) from Out of Town.

london calling
19-04-2020, 20:25
Yup. Some greatness here but I really didn't get The Fast Show. I really liked the Ralph and Ted bit but the rest seemed repetitive and then there was that coughing man in the shed who appeared to be a rip-off of Jack Hargreaves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlOGdWxJQTE&list=PLE4VoXqGEek_5wCQJJrp-ZE8slDNL1gwc&index=10&t=0s) from Out of Town.

Worked in a house on the Bayswater Rd than was converted into tiny little offices.All were rented by comedy writers Peter Sellers, Spike Mulligan Harry Secombe etc.
Also worked in Kenny Everetts house in Bayswater..Quite a small house considering he was at the top of his game. Nice guy to work for.
Also worked for Spike Mulligan who had a very Gothic style house in Finchley.He was weird and left notes on all the doors telling his family what they could and could do around the house.

oldboots
20-04-2020, 17:41
Performers and writers

Monty Python
Matt Berry
Jon Richardson
Dave Allen
Peter Cook
Peter Sellars
Laurel & Hardy
Buster Keaton
Ronnie Barker
The Fast Show
The Comic Strip
Reeves & Mortimer
Steve Pemberton
Reece Shearsmith
The original three observational stand-ups - Billy Connolly, Jasper Carrot & Max Boyce (in that order)
Armando Iannucci
Galton & Simpson
Gran & Marks
Michael Schur

Komakino
23-04-2020, 00:42
Seeing as I've already done my TV comedies, here are some stand-ups that make me laugh:

Al Murray
Bill Burr
Bill Hicks
Don Rickles
Ed Aczel
Milton Jones
Norm MacDonald
Paul Foot
Rodney Dangerfield
Sean Lock
Stewart Lee

EDIT: Comedy actress Lucille Ball is also worthy of a mention.

Quinno
23-04-2020, 09:32
The line between stand-up comics and professional TV 'panel show wits' is really blurred now.

Stand-up/panellists/'funnymen'

Bob Monkhouse (owner of the world's best joke - "When I first said I wanted to be a comedian, everybody laughed. They're not laughing now."
Frank Skinner (though the less said about Blue Moon, the better) is one of the most naturally quick-witted people around
Billy Connolly
Les Dawson
Lee Mack
Tim Brooke Taylor/Graeme Garden/Barry Cryer
Rhod Gilbert (probably the best Taskmaster contestant, though Ed Gamble runs him close)
Geoff Norcot
Dave Allen
Bill Bailey
Simon Amstell (Buzzcocks was a joy when he did it)
Gyles Brandreth (the only person to successfully show up Paul Merton for being a bit of an arse on JAM, as GB is better at the format than he is)
Bill Hicks (although sometimes he'd go too far just to see just how outrageous he could be)
Frankie Boyle (before he decided that comments about disabled kids raping their mothers/Rebecca Adlington etc were acceptable)
Al Murray, in Pub Landlord guise

Didn't Jasper Carrot have writers?

Comedy actors
Alison Steadman
Matt Berry
Alistair Sim
Richard Ayoade
Ronnie Barker
Julian Barrett
Prunella Scales
Nigel Hawthorne
Julia Davis
Peter Sellars
Margaret Rutherford

comedy writers/performers...
Steve Pemberton/Reece Shearsmith
Chris Morris
Adam Buxton & Joe Cornish
Peter Kay
Stephen Merchant
Jack Dee
Armando Iannucci
Charlie Brooker
John Cleese

EDIT: I'll add Robert Hardy to the comic actors list, having been reminded just how brilliant he was as Siegfried Farnon. The comic timing and surpressed rage is a masterclass.

Komakino
23-04-2020, 11:12
The line between stand-up comics and professional TV 'panel show wits' is really blurred now.

Stand-up/panellists/'funnymen'

Bob Monkhouse (owner of the world's best joke - "When I first said I wanted to be a comedian, everybody laughed. They're not laughing now."
Frank Skinner (though the less said about Blue Moon, the better) is one of the most naturally quick-witted people around
Billy Connolly
Les Dawson
Lee Mack
Tim Brooke Taylor/Graeme Garden/Barry Cryer
Rhod Gilbert (probably the best Taskmaster contestant, though Ed Gamble runs him close)
Geoff Norcot
Dave Allen
Bill Bailey
Simon Amstell (Buzzcocks was a joy when he did it)
Gyles Brandreth (the only person to successfully show up Paul Merton for being a bit of an arse on JAM, as GB is better at the format than he is)
Bill Hicks (although sometimes he'd go too far just to see just how outrageous he could be)
Frankie Boyle (before he decided that comments about disabled kids raping their mothers/Rebecca Adlington etc were acceptable)
Al Murray, in Pub Landlord guise

Didn't Jasper Carrot have writers?

Comedy actors
Alison Steadman
Matt Berry
Alistair Sim
Richard Ayoade
Ronnie Barker
Julian Barrett
Prunella Scales
Nigel Hawthorne
Julia Davis
Peter Sellars
Margaret Rutherford

comedy writers/performers...
Steve Pemberton/Reece Shearsmith
Chris Morris
Adam Buxton & Joe Cornish
Peter Kay
Stephen Merchant
Jack Dee
Armando Iannucci
Charlie Brooker
John Cleese

You've spurred me to edit my cock-heavy list with Lucille Ball. Watching reruns of I Love Lucy show how geniunely funny she was.

oldboots
23-04-2020, 20:26
You've spurred me to edit my cock-heavy list with Lucille Ball. Watching reruns of I Love Lucy show how geniunely funny she was.

Just looking at my "cock-heavy list" and realised I left out Victoria Wood and Caroline Aherne, French & Saunders were a major part of The Comic Strip, so I had included them already. There's also Julie Walters, Amy Poehler and Joyce Grenfell. Esme Cannon and Hattie Jacques were a great double act in Carry On Cabby and brilliant elsewhere singley.

Mobyduck
23-04-2020, 21:22
Just looking at my "cock-heavy list" and realised I left out Victoria Wood and Caroline Aherne, French & Saunders were a major part of The Comic Strip, so I had included them already. There's also Julie Walters, Amy Poehler and Joyce Grenfell. Esme Cannon and Hattie Jacques were a great double act in Carry On Cabby and brilliant elsewhere singley.

Consider yourself now more balanced in the cock stakes.

oldboots
23-04-2020, 21:24
Consider yourself now more balanced in the cock stakes.

I am tempted to make a Men Behaving Badly style reposte, however I will refrain being slightly overtired.

Tris39
27-04-2020, 15:52
Just watched Twenty Twenty (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zhzqw/twenty-twelve-series-1-episode-1). Not hysterical but funny enough and a great lampoon on the idiocy of market-speak.

Look Around You, a spoof of Tomorrow's World was also great fun and an early appearance from Olivia Coleman was also very funny.

oldboots
27-04-2020, 17:50
Just watched Twenty Twenty (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zhzqw/twenty-twelve-series-1-episode-1). Not hysterical but funny enough and a great lampoon on the idiocy of market-speak.

W1A, the follow up to Twenty Twelve is also very funny (for me), it has a different catch phase "No, Yes, No" or "Yes, No, Yes" . So that's all good then.