PDA

View Full Version : should have went to specsaver

london calling
18-04-2020, 19:09
I am fussy about the glass I drink from.In pubs I refuse to drink out of a pint nonic glass.Any other style is fine but not nonic.I have walked out of pubs even after they have poured my drink if they wont change it.When drinking at home I often use 3 or 4 different glass depending on the style of beer. I will only drink out of 3 cups indoors for tea or coffee so its probably a phobia.Are you fussy?

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 19:35
Much prefer a straight and it's always good to be asked if there is a genuine choice behind the bar which normally means straight or handle.Nonics seem much less common these days,although I have some at home in case folk pop round and I'm using the straights.;)

Sadly not been the case recently.

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:00
Much prefer a straight and it's always good to be asked if there is a genuine choice behind the bar which normally means straight or handle.Nonics seem much less common these days,although I have some at home in case folk pop round and I'm using the straights.;)

Sadly not been the case recently.
Whats the correct name for a straight glass.Quiz/

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:03

I because I dislike them find a lot of pubs still use them.Went in a micropub recently but not been in for 2 months and the guy said you like a straight glasses right.Top barman

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 20:28

Had to Google that.Apparantly a Conical although in the US a Shaker.

I hope that's correct ?

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:34
Had to Google that.Apparantly a Conical although in the US a Shaker.

I hope that's correct ?

yep a shaker .One point deducted for using google though. Not a conical according to Camra .

rpadam
18-04-2020, 20:47
Harveys have moved to this shape of glass (sometimes called a tulip, but to me this implies a stem?).

Komakino
18-04-2020, 20:53
Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:53
Harveys have moved to this shape of glass (sometimes called a tulip, but to me this implies a stem?).

Tulips are good although I do like a stemmed glass.Drinking out of one now,

rpadam
18-04-2020, 20:56
Tulips are good although I do like a stemmed glass.Drinking out of one now,
This is what I might call a tulip glass?

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 20:59

I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:59
Until February, I'd been doing occasional bar work in my local, having pulled pints in pubs in my village on and off for around 20-odd years. I'd like to say I'm not fussy, but I'd always like to serve the correct beer in the correct glass as well as serving in the customer's preferred vessel - so for ale drinkers that I hadn't served before, that included the 'straight or handle' question beforehand. Nothing worse than having to serve ale or indeed lager in a Guinness glass if it was a busy night.

When I'm on the other side of the bar, it's always nice to be offered a handle, but not massively fussed.

In addition, once met up with an ex-girlfriend in a pub outside Aylesbury that was on its last legs. She asked for a Cinzano and lemonade (or somesuch) which the barmaid poured into a half-pint glass. I asked if we could have a highball glass instead and was handed a large wine glass. That pub closed not long after, but recently re-opened after several years in the wilderness.

Cause I try a lot of pubs looking for new beer I find quite a few are giving you a choice which is nice although at 66 and looking it they often ask me if I want a jug.

london calling
18-04-2020, 21:02
I do like pints of Fullers ESB in their branded tulips as long as the ale is well kept.

A particuliar beer in its own glass is a joy.Even if its not your fav beer.I would and have refused beer in guinness, john smiths etc glasses.Sign of a shit pub imo

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 21:05

You sound like a very good barman :notworthy:

I don't like being served an ale I've carefully chosen in a Doom Bar or Bombardier branded glass.Image is important ,and I don't want folk to get the wrong idea :whistle:

london calling
18-04-2020, 21:25

Wrong

oldboots
18-04-2020, 21:27

no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.

I am fussy about the glass I drink from.In pubs I refuse to drink out of a pint nonic glass.Any other style is fine but not nonic.I have walked out of pubs even after they have poured my drink if they wont change it.When drinking at home I often use 3 or 4 different glass depending on the style of beer. I will only drink out of 3 cups indoors for tea or coffee so its probably a phobia.Are you fussy?

Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides, next comes the Nonic, with a bulge about 2/3 of the way down, both are sometimes called "thin glasses" as in Get Carter also thin is the tulip which I dislike but tolerate. A thick glass is the old fashioned handle or dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 21:38
dimpled mug beloved of trendy places, utter dross that I though had been consigned to the dustbin of history but got resurrected for some unknown reason.

Maybe they really enjoyed Trainspotting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZyNLZZjMs

sheffield hatter
18-04-2020, 22:03

Wrong

no that is a stemed glass, it is used by ladies.

If I may quote John here:

Wrong

It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?

sheffield hatter
18-04-2020, 22:06
Yes I am fussy, my preferred glass is a conical, ie vaguely triangular with straight sloping sides.

Yes, it's a section of a cone. If it was truly conical you would have trouble getting it to stand up. That's probably my favourite glass too.

rpadam
18-04-2020, 22:15
Wrong
In what respect?

oldboots
18-04-2020, 22:17

It is also used by other people who are not ladies. I like the stemmed glasses at beer festivals, with the half-pint and third-pint lines clearly marked. Because they're oversized, you can carefully pour a 330ml bottle or can into one of these.

Next you'll be telling me that anyone who doesn't drink exclusively from a pint glass is also a lady?

There is nothing like a straw man.

Wittenden
18-04-2020, 22:22

I like these for halves, as taken in this pub,sometimes with Gadds' branding:Larkins' Alehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85780/). Don't really trust them for pints, though. I'm not sure if they are still used, but I liked those multi-sided handled glasses,octagonal perhaps?

bcfczuluarmy
18-04-2020, 22:47
If I ever get a member of staff say do you mind it in a different glass for whatever reason. Standard response don't give a shit as long as it holds a pint.

Mobyduck
18-04-2020, 23:08

My beer earlier.
2104e

sheffield hatter
19-04-2020, 09:37

There is nothing like a straw man.

I thought that was quite a lot like a straw man! :whistle:

sheffield hatter
19-04-2020, 09:39

Is that one of those Straw Man glasses?

Mobyduck
19-04-2020, 10:02
Is that one of those Straw Man glasses?

Well I am apparently a lady. :whistle: And the beer was straw coloured.

AlanH
19-04-2020, 12:25

It seems to depend where you live. In the North (West) we call them Tall Hats. Never heard of Nonics :confused:. Is that a Southern word for a Dimple pot? (Edit- Just Googled it and found it's a Tall Hat with a lump at the top! I must be too young to have heard the word).

Lees Brewery tried a hybrid of a Tall Hat and a Dimple pot with ridges to put your fingers and thumb in. They were most unpopular and got called a Flower Pot.

Has anyone got a North/South translation dictionary for sale? (Not the Yorkshire version).

Wittenden
19-04-2020, 13:12
It seems to depend where you live. In the North (West) we call them Tall Hats. Never heard of Nonics :confused:.
Has anyone got a North/South translation dictionary for sale? (Not the Yorkshire version).

We used to call straights "sleevers" if we didn't call 'em straights. I too had to google "nonics": they were what I thought they would be,though I'd not taken the word onboard. Further confusion was caused by the American usage "Shaker" to refer to "Tulips" (?). I always thought Shakers were an American Protestant Sect that designed kitchen furniture.

oldboots
19-04-2020, 13:36
From Gaskill & Chambers catalogue c1960

oldboots
19-04-2020, 13:39
We used to call straights "sleevers" if we didn't call 'em straights.

I thought Sleever was a west country term, especially in Bris'l

Wittenden
19-04-2020, 14:06
I thought Sleever was a west country term, especially in Bris'l

Might be, learnt the term from a chap from Exeter,or could have been Wincanton.

Komakino
19-04-2020, 14:09
A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.

Mobyduck
19-04-2020, 15:45
A customer in one of the local pubs I used to work in preferred his beer in a nonic pint glass, and told me the reason for the name was that the bulge two-thirds the way up the glass prevented the rim of the glasses chipping when racked / stored together, hence nonic = "no nicks", although this could be conveniently apocryphal.
I have heard the same explanation before.

Tris39
19-04-2020, 15:56

Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose. Other than that, I'm really not that bothered about glasses but dislike drinking out of a branded glass with Peroni or Doom Bar on the sides as I drink neither. The glass I like the most is the old Lantern.

I've also heard this but further thought that the bulge was simply to prevent the glass from slipping out of a wet hand which kinda makes sense.

oldboots
19-04-2020, 18:39

I have heard the same explanation before.

Yes that's the explanation I've always heard

I've also heard this but further thought that the bulge was simply to prevent the glass from slipping out of a wet hand which kinda makes sense.

It so doesn't; ask me how I know?

sheffield hatter
19-04-2020, 19:38
Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose.

Sounds like you have a drinking problem there, Tris.

The glass I like the most is the old Lantern.

Yes, agree with you there.

oldboots
19-04-2020, 19:44
Whatever they're called, I can't stand the ones with the stem and a rim which tapers inwards. You have to hold your head right back to get the last drop and if you're not careful, it goes right up your nose...

That's what comes of drinking out of lady glasses :eek:

london calling
19-04-2020, 19:53
In what respect?

The glass used by Harveys is a tulip. The other one is a stemmed tulip.Same difference.Used to be called a ladies glass in Scotland as it looked less manly than half pint glass for a woman drinker.

rpadam
19-04-2020, 20:17
The glass used by Harveys is a tulip. The other one is a stemmed tulip.Same difference.Used to be called a ladies glass in Scotland as it looked less manly than half pint glass for a woman drinker.
The term 'tulip' is used in the trade for both types?

london calling
19-04-2020, 20:36
The term 'tulip' is used in the trade for both types?

Yes due to the shape.Mobys glass seems to be more a chalice or a goblet or even a wine glass as it doesnt have the aesthetically pleasing shape of a tulip (camra speak.)

Mobyduck
19-04-2020, 21:49
Yes due to the shape.Mobys glass seems to be more a chalice or a goblet or even a wine glass as it doesnt have the aesthetically pleasing shape of a tulip (camra speak.)

It's a wine glass.

Tris39
20-04-2020, 16:18
That's what comes of drinking out of lady glasses :eek:

If only I'd had a choice...

Or a large nose...:o

Pubsignman
20-04-2020, 18:28
I'm not too fussy about the type of glass I get, although I would always prefer a conical or nonic to a tulip and think stemmed glasses are best used in smaller measures for 'sipping' beers such as strong Belgian beers. I don't really like handles either, although they seem to be the default choice for cask ale in a lot of hipster pubs around these parts. The one I really hate though is the tall thin 'pilsner' glass, of the sort you'd expect to get a pint of Peroni in - a sure sign that you're about to get a dud pint of ale.

rpadam
20-04-2020, 18:50
The devil's work is a pewter tankard...

Quinno
23-04-2020, 10:19
I like these for halves, as taken in this pub,sometimes with Gadds' branding:Larkins' Alehouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85780/). Don't really trust them for pints, though. I'm not sure if they are still used, but I liked those multi-sided handled glasses,octagonal perhaps?

Oh I hate those for halves of ale - they knock the condition out!

The one I really hate though is the tall thin 'pilsner' glass, of the sort you'd expect to get a pint of Peroni in - a sure sign that you're about to get a dud pint of ale.

Correct!! :D

Tris39
27-05-2020, 17:25
These are obviously the kind of glasses preferred by someone. But can you guess who? (https://www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/barnardcastle)

sheffield hatter
27-05-2020, 18:04
These are obviously the kind of glasses preferred by someone. But can you guess who? (https://www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/barnardcastle)

Yes, but strangely he apparently drove straight past the shop and down to the river. Can't think why...