PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 12th April 2020)

ROBCamra
12-04-2020, 19:05
:cheers:

Bucking Fastard
12-04-2020, 19:26
The Old House at Home.

Wiper & True -- Pale Ale Kaleidascope (c)
Wild Beer -- Murmur (b)
Thornbridge -- Tzara (b)
Rooster -- Baby-Faced Assassin (c)
Magic Rock -- Hire Wire (c)
Harviestoun -- Old Engine Oil (b)
BrewDog -- Indie (c)
Six Degrees North -- Hop Classic Belgian IPA (bottle conditioned)
Vocation -- Life & Death IPA (c)

I've nominated Life & Death quite recently,so BOTW goes to Six Degree North HopClassic Belgian IPA,once carefully poured a mix of great flavours from various hops and malts .Belies its 6.6%

Next week with supplies dwindling,beer hunting on line will keep the mind occupied.

london calling
12-04-2020, 21:03
Mikkeller-heated Seats was my BOTW

rpadam
12-04-2020, 21:24
Feeling the need to taste something closer to a proper draught beer than was available in our dwindling cellar, it was back for a another five litres of Musket Brewery Powder Burn porter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31156-pubs-galore-bar&p=106872&viewfull=1#post106872) (with "off-licences and licenced shops selling alcohol, including those within breweries" thankfully still allowed to operate).

A nice pint (or two), and good to support a local small business too.

Aqualung
12-04-2020, 22:15
Feeling the need to taste something closer to a proper draught beer than was available in our dwindling cellar, it was back for a another five litres of Musket Brewery Powder Burn porter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31156-pubs-galore-bar&p=106872&viewfull=1#post106872) (with "off-licences and licenced shops selling alcohol, including those within breweries" thankfully still allowed to operate).

A nice pint (or two), and good to support a local small business too.

My problem with amounts that size is keeping it cool.
I'm doing well with the local ELB who seem to be the only brewery savvy enough to deliver free locally (2 cases) and drop their normal off sale prices (£55.00 for two 12 x 500ml cases). Given that they are not delivering to pub chains, I reckon they've got a better margin. As far as I know they don't deal with supermarkets.
The ELB van will be visiting again next week with four different cases.
My BOTW is their Cowcatcher American IPA which has a great hop flavour although cask is better as it is gassy.

BOTW ELB Cowcatcher (500ml bottle)

rpadam
12-04-2020, 22:38
My problem with amounts that size is keeping it cool.
No problem - just create an 'evaporation fridge'. All you need is a washing-up bowl, a 5-litre mini-cask / mini-keg of tour chosen beer, a tea towel and some water; assemble so that the tea towel drapes over the container and stays wet through capillary action, then sit back and let nature do the cooling for you (and no pesky electricity bill)!

Aqualung
13-04-2020, 00:16
No problem - just create an 'evaporation fridge'. All you need is a washing-up bowl, a 5-litre mini-cask / mini-keg of tour chosen beer, a tea towel and some water; assemble so that the tea towel drapes over the container and stays wet through capillary action, then sit back and let nature do the cooling for you (and no pesky electricity bill)!

Interesting but does it work when the temperature soars to 30C+?

rpadam
13-04-2020, 07:45
Interesting but does it work when the temperature soars to 30C+?
Up to a point, certainly - it worked fine here a fortnight ago and again this weekend at up to 25°, outside in a shady spot but able to catch any passing breeze to aid evaporation.

oldboots
13-04-2020, 08:03
Roosters Yankee (can)

Mobyduck
13-04-2020, 08:56
Five Points JUPA(can)

ETA
13-04-2020, 09:34
Butcombe Goram in bottles from the Spar in Martock.

Thuck Phat
13-04-2020, 10:29
This week:

Marble Lagonda IPA*
Marble Berimbolo*
Marble Hopolata
Marble Uppe Hela Natten*
Marble Trials #2
Braybrooke Smoked Lager
Adnams Ghost Ship
Northern Monk New World IPA*
Bristol Beer Factory Southville Hop*
Yeastie Boys Gunnmatta*
Moon Gazer Golden Ale
Blue Monkey Infinity IPA

More mine sweeping, some older beers faring better than others, along with some fresher consumption. The Trials #2 and Southville Hop stood out but BOTW has to be Marble Berimbolo. At 4.5%, fresh, pale and hoppy it's a perfect thirst quencher at the end of a hot day.

Spinko
13-04-2020, 14:43
Vocation barrel aged imperial stout. Cans.

Another delivery to arrive this week of their Smash and Grab.

aleandhearty
14-04-2020, 19:54
Managed to get a couple of bag-in-the-box beers delivered this week.

Saltaire - Cascade. (b)
Nomadic - Elephant Armour. (b-i-b)

The Elephant Armour take the honours, a sweetish stout flavoured with black and green cardamom, coriander and cinnamon. Not as 'out there' as it sounds, I rather enjoyed it.

I struggled initially with the dispense - a sort of dicky-prostate dribble, leading to a very unappealing pint, but managed to find a wonderful remedy online (Thank you, Mike Copeland at The Manor Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/75479/), Pudsey). It was recommended to pour about an inch of beer into the glass and then blitz it with a stick blender for a couple of seconds. The beer could then be topped-up carefully leaving a tight creamy head,in the northern stylie. Have to say it worked really well and the head stayed right to the bottom of the glass. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but may be of interest to some north of Leicester.