PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Draught Bass Day

AlanH
11-04-2020, 14:33
As today is National Draught Bass Day, we can all have our pints of Virtual Draught Bass. If we use our imagination and memory it will taste virtually as good as it did 40 years ago. Just like it tasted in Burton-on-Trent after our visit to the Burton Union Room (followed by a game of "Ring the Bull" in the Burton Brewery games room!). I am lucky that I can remember more about what happened 40 years ago than I can about last week or yesterday! In the days when the educated palette of Roger Pratt was to be respected before being dulled by time.
Of course in those days, Draught Bass was OG1044 before the brewery P----- in it! At least with today's restrictions we don't have to "celebrate" the day with any Bass Substitute.

Delboy20
11-04-2020, 14:43
I was only 8 forty years ago so I'll have to remember the last pint of Bass I had which wasn't great!

Mobyduck
11-04-2020, 14:51
I have no fond memories of Bass so wouldn't have been celebrating anyway. You realise this will get Aqualungs blood boiling .:evilgrin:

Aqualung
11-04-2020, 15:17
I have no fond memories of Bass so wouldn't have been celebrating anyway. You realise this will get Aqualungs blood boiling .:evilgrin:
I'm just glad this ill advised event has been scuppered by the virus. I'm going to calm myself down now with a bottle of Cowcatcher closely followed by a Quadrant Stout, two beers worth celebrating!

Tris39
11-04-2020, 15:29
I was only 8 forty years ago so I'll have to remember the last pint of Bass I had which wasn't great!

Surely you would have had Shandy Bass? Tastes better than the neat stuff...

Mobyduck
11-04-2020, 17:51
I'm just glad this ill advised event has been scuppered by the virus. I'm going to calm myself down now with a bottle of Cowcatcher closely followed by a Quadrant Stout, two beers worth celebrating!

I'm also a big fan of their mild, Orchid, maybe a bit low abv for you?

Aqualung
11-04-2020, 18:42
I'm also a big fan of their mild, Orchid, maybe a bit low abv for you?
I think it's one of the best milds going but it's not a core beer. I'm going to top up next week and get Nightwatchman & Jamboree just so I've got a choice. If only they had the Imperial Stout!

AlanH
11-04-2020, 20:56

I noticed that one of your Bass Blogging associates also mentioned today as "National Doom Bar Day". I did notice that this was first mentioned on April 1st, so was hoping this had something to do with it! I looked around for a National Red Barrel Day or a Double Diamond Jubilee (which could be for the Stout!).

rpadam
11-04-2020, 21:03
To be honest, I would be quite happy to get back towards normal and go to any cask ale pub tomorrow, even if draught Bass was the only thing on offer!

oldboots
11-04-2020, 21:12
I noticed that one of your Bass Blogging associates also mentioned today as "National Doom Bar Day". I did notice that this was first mentioned on April 1st, so was hoping this had something to do with it! I looked around for a National Red Barrel Day or a Double Diamond Jubilee (which could be for the Stout!).

It wouldn't surprise me if the revisionist running dogs tried to bring back Red Barrel, DD (is K9P), Tankard or even Watney's Starlight, :eek:

Aqualung
11-04-2020, 21:48
I'm now referring to it as Boring Bass Day.

Mobyduck
11-04-2020, 22:13

Martin does have a certain sense of humour, if not taste.:rolleyes:, he's more into pubs than beer.

AlanH
12-04-2020, 02:36
I'm now referring to it as Boring Bass Day.

Boring Bass Day Epilogue:-

Our Southern chairman at our Camra branch in the 1980's always claimed that the presentation of Draught Bass was a highly important clue to its quality.

The perfect pint would always have Three bubbles on top.

If it had Four bubbles it was Too Gassy, and if it had Two bubbles it was Flat! :cheers:

Wittenden
12-04-2020, 12:06
I'd quite like to try Bass again-that list on the internet suggested there were only two pubs with it in Kent,so I'm unlikely to come across it. When I was working in Durham in the mid seventies it was a staple,in Half Moon Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55368/) as the real stuff was fairly hard to find in the area, though not as hard as in Norwich a few years before.
However, I'm not a great fan of Marston's beers, so I don't have high hopes.