PDA

View Full Version : Good beer and good food in Birmingham

General Staal
19-07-2010, 18:49
Hiyall,

This is my second request here!

I am going in to Birmingham City Centre this Saturday with Mrs Staal. When we do this, we usually go to eat in the Red Lion or Lord Clifden in Hockley.

Can anyone suggest a pub that does good real ale and pretty decent food to the style Mrs Staal is used to in the Centre of Birmingham?

Cheers!

gillhalfpint
19-07-2010, 22:35
If you go to the fantastic building that is the Old Joint Stock that faces the cathedral, they have a decent menu, and they have guests as well as Fullers beers. When going to the gents you can nip out the back and down the steps and you are at the back door to the Welly, with all its 16 handpumps with a variety of real ale.

rpadam
19-07-2010, 22:54
If you go to the fantastic building that is the Old Joint Stock that faces the cathedral, they have a decent menu, and they have guests as well as Fullers beers. When going to the gents you can nip out the back and down the steps and you are at the back door to the Welly, with all its 16 handpumps with a variety of real ale.
Another heritage choice in a similar vein to the Old Joint Stock (and a bit cheaper) is the Old Contempibles - now part of M&B's Nicholson's chain and thus offering a reasonable choice of ale (and sausages).

General Staal
20-07-2010, 18:19
Cheers all!

Soup Dragon
20-07-2010, 18:52
Knowing Mrs Staal, i would suggest a pie at the Blues ground:p

General Staal
20-07-2010, 20:52
Knowing Mrs Staal, i would suggest a pie at the Blues ground:p

But you only get beer in plastic glasses at the Blues ground! Well, I say beer...

Andy Ven
22-07-2010, 18:31
If you need to keep her happy food wise, I would go along with the Old Contemptibles, or Bacchus in the Burlington Arcade, or the Colmore Bar and Grill in Waterloo Street next to the new Premier Inn, Sun on the Hill next to the Briar Rose or maybe the Windsor