PDA

View Full Version : Triple fff quiz

london calling
06-04-2020, 19:50
Looked up what beers I have had from this brewery and found these ones that seem to have a music theme.Pub quiz style you have 20 minutes to think of the answers and no googling except to check once you have finished the quiz.Honest box so post how many you got right using your brain cells.Shouldnt be hard to beat my figure of seven.

pressed rat and warthog
dazed and confused
midnight rambler
rock lobster
hallelujah
comfortably numb
little red rooster
moondance
ramble tamble
apache rose peacock
stairway to heaven
communication breakdown

there is also a beer called Trotneys red barrel but don't think that's music themed
cheers

Aqualung
06-04-2020, 20:57
I'm doing this without any references, although I did have to smash my head against the wall a couple of times to jog the memory!. I'm sure the ordinary bitter had a musical name when they first started brewing.

pressed rat and warthog Cream, Disraeli Gears
dazed and confused Led Zep
midnight rambler Stones
rock lobster pass
hallelujah Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Alexandra Burke
comfortably numb Floyd
little red rooster Stones
moondance Van Morrison
ramble tamble pass
apache rose peacock Real Shite Chilli Peppers
stairway to heaven Led Zep

In the 1990s their beers were found in JDWs but not any more. I really think they ought to review their guest ale policy. The price isn't so important if it's all crap.

london calling
06-04-2020, 21:11
I'm doing this without any references, although I did have to smash my head against the wall a couple of times to jog the memory!. I'm sure the ordinary bitter had a musical name when they first started brewing.

pressed rat and warthog Cream, Disraeli Gears
dazed and confused Led Zep
midnight rambler Stones
rock lobster pass
hallelujah Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, Alexandra Burke
comfortably numb Floyd
little red rooster Stones
moondance Van Morrison
ramble tamble pass
apache rose peacock Real Shite Chilli Peppers
stairway to heaven Led Zep

In the 1990s their beers were found in JDWs but not any more. I really think they ought to review their guest ale policy. The price isn't so important if it's all crap.

You were meant to post a number not the answers.Never mind

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 21:43
ramble tamble

Creedence Clearwater Revival (opening track on Cosmo's Factory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GixRGf4AU))

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 22:06
Knew all the ones Aqua got plus the Creedence one, Rock Lobster is the B52s. Tried them all with the exception of Little Red Rooster, in addition to Johns list of their musicaly themed beers I've also had Goldfinger ,a cask Lager.

oldboots
07-04-2020, 07:49
7 for me, didn't know 3,4,9 or 10 and shamefully got 12 wrong.

Bucking Fastard
07-04-2020, 16:04
Just 5 for me,thank goodness I know my Led Zeppelin ;)

Pubsignman
07-04-2020, 16:27
I got 8 - didn't know Cream, CCR or the two Stones ones.

london calling
07-04-2020, 20:29
There are a couple of other that I could not see a musical connection but maybe someone can connect the dots or maybe they are just beer names.

afterglow
summer is acumen
I cant remember

london calling
07-04-2020, 20:32
Knew all the ones Aqua got plus the Creedence one, Rock Lobster is the B52s. Tried them all with the exception of Little Red Rooster, in addition to Johns list of their musicaly themed beers I've also had Goldfinger ,a cask Lager.

I have had Goldfinger but didn't think much of it.Didnt connect that to music but suppose Shirley belted that one out.

Aqualung
07-04-2020, 20:48
There are a couple of other that I could not see a musical connection but maybe someone can connect the dots or maybe they are just beer names.

afterglow
summer is acumen
I cant remember

I doubt if Afterglow is music as I think it's been around a long time. I've no idea with number 2, it sounds like a brewery in joke. As for 3 I assumed it was a joke based on the strength but may be wrong. I missed out Communication Breakdown from my Copy of your original list. Obviously I know the answer as it's on thir first album.

Mobyduck
07-04-2020, 21:25

afterglow
summer is acumen
I cant remember

Genesis did Afterglow on the 1976 album Wind & Wuthering, other beers not mentioned yet are Witches Promise (Tull) and with a play on words Smells Like Team (Teen) Spirit (Nirvana).

london calling
07-04-2020, 21:30
Genesis did Afterglow on the 1976 album Wind & Wuthering, other beers not mentioned yet are Witches Promise (Tull) and with a play on words Smells Like Team (Teen) Spirit (Nirvana).

Smell like is a good pun.Not a tick for me.

Mobyduck
07-04-2020, 21:37
Smell like is a good pun.Not a tick for me.

Its a Green Hop beer, not due out until September, haven't seen it in the past.

Aqualung
07-04-2020, 22:22
I'm glad you pointed that out as I had a nagging doubts about Afterglow and I'm sure that's the answer.
Witches Promise is one of my favourite Tull tracks.
I'm sure their cooking bitter had a music name in the early days and got renamed to something dull like Alton Bitter but I Can't Remember.

Pubsignman
07-04-2020, 23:25
'I Can't Remember' is by Alice in Chains, from their debut album.

As for their bitter, they used to have one called 'The Bitter End' which is also the name of a single by Placebo, but that might just be a coincidence.

Mobyduck
08-04-2020, 05:57
I'm glad you pointed that out as I had a nagging doubts about Afterglow and I'm sure that's the answer.
Witches Promise is one of my favourite Tull tracks.
I'm sure their cooking bitter had a music name in the early days and got renamed to something dull like Alton Bitter but I Can't Remember.

There was also Afterglow Of Your Love by The Small Faces, I cant remember their bitter being anything other than Alton's Pride.

Mobyduck
08-04-2020, 06:05

As for their bitter, they used to have one called 'The Bitter End' which is also the name of a single by Placebo, but that might just be a coincidence.

Coincidence I think, Alton's Pride won bronze as Alton's Pride in the bitter category in 2003 and 2004 at GBBF ,2003 was the placebo release, and of course the beer went on to be supreme champion in 2008.

oldboots
08-04-2020, 08:07

afterglow
summer is acumen
I cant remember

Summer is acumen may be a reference to "Summer is a coming in", a very, very old folk song.

Aqualung
08-04-2020, 10:45

Thanks, that's all new to me.

sheffield hatter
08-04-2020, 15:09
Summer is acumen may be a reference to "Summer is a coming in", a very, very old folk song.

Yes, here are the lyrics in Middle English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumer_is_icumen_in):

Sumer is icumen in
Lhude sing cuccu
Groweþ sed
and bloweþ med
and springþ þe wde nu
Sing cuccu

Awe bleteþ after lomb
lhouþ after calue cu
Bulluc sterteþ
bucke uerteþ
murie sing cuccu

Cuccu cuccu
Wel singes þu cuccu
ne swik þu nauer nu

Sing cuccu nu • Sing cuccu.
Sing cuccu • Sing cuccu nu

(Some of the Us are equivalent to Vs; þ = TH)

london calling
08-04-2020, 20:12
Yes, here are the lyrics in Middle English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumer_is_icumen_in):

Sumer is icumen in
Lhude sing cuccu
Groweþ sed
and bloweþ med
and springþ þe wde nu
Sing cuccu

Awe bleteþ after lomb
lhouþ after calue cu
Bulluc sterteþ
bucke uerteþ
murie sing cuccu

Cuccu cuccu
Wel singes þu cuccu
ne swik þu nauer nu

Sing cuccu nu • Sing cuccu.
Sing cuccu • Sing cuccu nu

(Some of the Us are equivalent to Vs; þ = TH)

Pretty catchy.

oldboots
08-04-2020, 21:30
Pretty catchy.

better(ish) in modern English, after "the great vowel shift" - don't ask :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sheffield hatter
09-04-2020, 17:08
... "the great vowel shift" - don't ask :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is that a topic for a new thread?

oldboots
09-04-2020, 17:18
Is that a topic for a new thread?

depends who "follows through" :D

ETA
09-04-2020, 19:47

Or a nautical term - the end of the anchor cable/warp furthest from the anchor.

london calling
09-04-2020, 20:35
better(ish) in modern English, after "the great vowel shift" - don't ask :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is that similar to the great bowel shift.

oldboots
10-04-2020, 08:44
Is that similar to the great bowel shift.

See post#25