PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Theme

oldboots
31-03-2020, 11:09
Carrying on the musical theme of the Fantasy Pub Jukebox thread, I noticed this on Twitter earlier

"Whatever song was Number 1 on your 12th Birthday is your Quarantine Theme"

Mine is In the Year 2525 by Zager & Evans, if I'd been born a few weeks later it would have been Je t'aime, could have been worse, the Christmas number 1 was

Rolf Harris with Two Little Boys, :whistle:

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 12:05

I'm getting an "invalid attachment" warning.

hondo
31-03-2020, 12:08

same here

Lady Grey
31-03-2020, 12:11
The soundtrack to Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds. The main theme and "Forever Autumn" by Justin Haywood. Perhaps the last choice is a little melancholy, but it is such a well crafted song, with heartfelt lyrics.

oldboots
31-03-2020, 13:19

Sorted, I hope :pray:

Aqualung
31-03-2020, 13:27
From Me To You by the Beatles. I feel privileged to have grown up when they were conquering the world.

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 13:46
Sorted, I hope :pray:

Yes, it's working now, but navigating my way through Wikipedia to finally arrive at the number 1 singles in July 1966 took forever. And when I got there it was exactly what I expected: Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks. It was the only pop song my grandfather ever bought. He was a lifelong Tory and I think he just liked the opening line: "the taxman's taken all my dough and left me in my stately home, lazing on a sunny afternoon". Not my favourite of theirs by any means.

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 13:51
Carrying on the musical theme of the Fantasy Pub Jukebox thread, I noticed this on Twitter earlier

Mine is In the Year 2525 by Zager & Evans, if I'd been born a few weeks later it would have been Je t'aime, could have been worse, the Christmas number 1 was

2525 was a dreadful song that I think must have been bought exclusively by 12 year old boys.

Whereas the Rolf Harris was bought by their mothers.😜

bcfczuluarmy
31-03-2020, 14:00
Cliff with Mistletoe and Wine, think I'll pass on listening to that.

ROBCamra
31-03-2020, 14:03
The Ballad of John & Yoko. One of my least favourite Beatles songs and their final No 1.

It took me about 20 seconds to look it up in my Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles. ;)

The first single I ever bought was We Can Work It out / Day Tripper in 1965 when I was eight. :cheers:

Not a bad first single, there will be a lot worse out there.

Anybody else willing to fess up what their first single was?

Aqualung
31-03-2020, 14:17
Cliff with Mistletoe and Wine, think I'll pass on listening to that.

You have my deepest sympathy!

Aqualung
31-03-2020, 14:28
I didn't buy records until much later in life when it was all albums. My elder bother bought all the records.
I did download Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead from the Wizard Of Oz after Margaret Thatcher died.
I totally agree with you about the Beatles single and I've also got an old copy of that Guinness book.

ETA
31-03-2020, 14:45
Gary Glitter, 'I Love You Love'. Shudder!!!!!

but this is more apt.

Wond'ring Again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mxuJiOEaQ&list=RD-0mxuJiOEaQ&start_radio=1&t=1)

Bucking Fastard
31-03-2020, 14:55
Not a bad choice on my 12th birthday.

Hey Jude (https://www.google.com/search?q=you+tube+hey+jude&oq=you+tube+hey+jude&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5j69i60l2.5674j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

oldboots
31-03-2020, 14:57

Like Aqualung I didn't buy records (or pre-recorded cassettes) until later in life, I bought my first album (Bolan Boogie) long before my first single - Will You - Hazel O'Connor. Taped dozens off the radio though :D.

Come to think about it Ding Dong The Witch is Dead might have been my first download.

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 15:40
The first single I ever bought was We Can Work It out / Day Tripper in 1965 when I was eight. :cheers:

Yes, a hard act to follow.

I can remember records that my parents and uncles had in the 50s: Leadbelly, Lonnie Donegan, Chris Barber, Buddy Holly. Then me and my brothers would get the occasional record for Christmas: I can remember a 10" 78rpm Little Drummer Boy; a comedy song by Tommy Steel called What a Mouth (What a North and South) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMF2paM-aCw); EPs by Burl Ives, Leadbelly and Manfred Mann (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWUHW0NnYNE) (with the rather silly Doo Wah Diddy Diddy featuring a great vocal by Paul Jones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iTwlfDuG2s)).

First record I bought for myself though was The Windmills of Your Mind (from the Thomas Crown Affair) by Noel Harrison (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhS9Y9HYjU). Second was Get Back.

Al Bundy
31-03-2020, 16:55

Boomtown Rats - Don't Like Mondays. Which I don't.

Al Bundy
31-03-2020, 17:00
First single bought was I Love You Love Me Love - Gary Glitter. Second single bought, Leader Of The Gang - Gary Glitter.

Tris39
31-03-2020, 17:17
The soundtrack to Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds. The main theme and "Forever Autumn" by Justin Haywood. Perhaps the last choice is a little melancholy, but it is such a well crafted song, with heartfelt lyrics.

How unfortunate, given the martians' demise.

Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me (phew).

The Ballad of John & Yoko. One of my least favourite Beatles songs and their final No 1.

It took me about 20 seconds to look it up in my Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles. ;)

The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star.

Mobyduck
31-03-2020, 18:06
Vincent, Don McLean, which is weird because I'm quite into Van Gogh's paintings.
First single brought with my own money was Theres A Ghost In My House R. Dean Taylor.

ROBCamra
31-03-2020, 18:57
Theres A Ghost In My House R. Dean Taylor.

I have an album of his which includes Gotta See Jane & Indiana Wants Me.

He wrote loads of well known songs including Love Child & Livin' In Shame for the Supremes and Turn To Stone for the Four Tops.:notworthy:

Real Ale Ray
31-03-2020, 19:06
Status Quo- Rocking All Over The World & Tom Robinson - 2468

Tris39
31-03-2020, 19:27
First single bought was I Love You Love Me Love - Gary Glitter. Second single bought, Leader Of The Gang - Gary Glitter.

Ouch!

Quinno
31-03-2020, 20:46
12th birthday - Iron Maiden- Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter

First single - Nessun Dorma (the 1972 version sung by Pavarotti which was the BBC World Cup Italia 90 theme (https://www.wqxr.org/story/world-cup-world-nessun-dorma-turandot-aria-pop-culture-hit/)) which I still adore

Komakino
31-03-2020, 20:49
12th birthday: "Orinoco Flow" by Enya

1st single[s] (I bought two the same day): "Bad" by Michael Jackson and "Pump Up The Volume" by M/A/R/R/S

rpadam
31-03-2020, 21:12
12th birthday: Rod Stewart - "Reason to Believe" / "Maggie May" (class, albeit by accident)

1st single: Dave & Ansell Collins - "Double Barrel" (same year, and I'm still quite proud of that one!)

Pangolin
31-03-2020, 22:14
'Where do you go to, my lovely' by Peter Sarstedt, which is vaguely interesting.

Have not bought a single since early childhood. (Taping from the radio thereafter!)

london calling
31-03-2020, 22:21
12th birthday -I Hear a Symphony by the Supremes
first single Mellow Yellow by Donavan

hondo
01-04-2020, 07:32
red red wine - ub40

Rex_Rattus
01-04-2020, 10:06
Mine was Dream Lover by Bobby Darin. I certainly didn't buy it - I don't think many 12 year olds bought records in those days, or maybe it was just me who didn't.

Oggwyn Trench
01-04-2020, 18:43
1977 listening to the Damned , Buzzcocks , The Clash and the Adverts and other great bands to come out of Punk , number 1 on my 12th Birthday , Mull of fkin Kintyre , dreary piece of shite . number 1 for about 3 months .

First single Angel Face by the Glitter Band , opening line "Your a Child of Sweet 16 "

Delboy20
01-04-2020, 20:58
12th birthday - Culture Club - Karma Chameleon

ROBCamra
02-04-2020, 09:19
12th birthday -I Hear a Symphony by the Supremes
first single Mellow Yellow by Donavan

The Supremes only had 1 number 1 in the UK which was Baby Love. I Hear a Symphony only got to number 39 according to the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles. :confused:

london calling
02-04-2020, 21:29
The Supremes only had 1 number 1 in the UK which was Baby Love. I Hear a Symphony only got to number 39 according to the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles. :confused:
Looked it up and thought it was a pretty obscure track for a no1.Help needed. 25th nov 1965

Mobyduck
02-04-2020, 21:44
Looked it up and thought it was a pretty obscure track for a no1.Help needed. 25th nov 1965

The Seekers - The Carnival Is Over

aleandhearty
05-04-2020, 16:46
My quarantine theme: Son of my Father, by Chicory Tip.

SOMF was the first single I bought, but the first single I owned was We Can Work It Out - a friend gave it to me. I'd been given my first record player for my 12th, but had nothing to play on it. I think he took pity on me!

ETA
06-04-2020, 07:33
First single was Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby in 1966. The last was Queen's Somebody To Love in 1976.

london calling
06-04-2020, 21:06
The Seekers - The Carnival Is Over

That's even worse.