PDA

View Full Version : pubs galore bar

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

london calling
23-03-2020, 22:12
As we cant talk much on here about new pubs I thought maybe we can post what we are drinking at home.On Saturday night from 7.00 pm I will post the beers I am drinking and will rate them out of 10.Got 3 decent ones from Tesco today.Had 6 in the trolley then thought must be able to get something more interesting in one of the bottle shops so put three back.I am hoping the bottleshops are still open after tonights lockdown.Essential supplies to me anyway.Join me .Its my round next.ha ha.

ETA
24-03-2020, 07:28
Managed a bottle of red last night, a change from beer as the local isn't open. Our local is currently doing a takeaway service, so my daily exercise will now be walking the dog via the post office, village shop and back door of the pub. Use of BACS to pay the tab means no-one has to handle cash and I can take it home to drink while waffling away on here.

Perhaps we ought to post reviews of our home drinking locations?

sheffield hatter
24-03-2020, 10:16
Last night I had a can of Abbeydale Deliverance 7%, a DIPA with recently developed, experimental hops from Yakima Chief: two of them so new they have serial numbers rather than names. It was a bit too fruit-juicy for my taste, but nevertheless a well made beer and eminently drinkable.

I also had the last bottle that I brought back from France last autumn, bought at the La Debauche brewery tap in Angouleme (see this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?13592-Pubs-in-Charente-area-France) for more details). It was the 9.5% imperial stout called Never More, with an image of Edgar Allen Poe's raven on the label. This was really gorgeous, velvety and tasty in equal proportions. It seems to have benefited from a long rest in my store.

oldboots
24-03-2020, 16:35
Managed 4 pints of Three Brothers Resilience an Australian Pale Ale. Picked up on Saturday and it had lost a lot of condition, in a pub I wouldn't have had another. Had a nice St Bernardus Prior to finish off.

That will probably be it until Friday, I have some bottles and am waiting on more deliveries, but mustn't overdo things.

rpadam
24-03-2020, 18:01
Attached Images
Nice and cheery!

Aqualung
24-03-2020, 18:13
I managed to pick up 4 cans of Brewdog Roaster Coaster today. I went after three hospital appointments/ What happened to "at risk" people having stuff delivered? I've not heard anything. This will add to my collection of Fourpure Big Milk Stout and Vocation Breakfast Stout. I won't get through it all by Thursday when all beer and food is knocked on the head. I don't really care if the iron and stout theory is an old wives tale!!

Delboy20
24-03-2020, 18:17
As we cant talk much on here about new pubs I thought maybe we can post what we are drinking at home.On Saturday night from 7.00 pm I will post the beers I am drinking and will rate them out of 10.Got 3 decent ones from Tesco today.Had 6 in the trolley then thought must be able to get something more interesting in one of the bottle shops so put three back.I am hoping the bottleshops are still open after tonights lockdown.Essential supplies to me anyway.Join me .Its my round next.ha ha.

I will try to pop in Saturday night for a couple :cheers:

rpadam
24-03-2020, 18:25
Mine's a half of Old Temperance again today, with quite an intense citrus taste and a very realistic orange colour!

sheffield hatter
24-03-2020, 18:29
Mine's a half of Old Temperance again today, with quite an intense citrus taste and a very realistic orange colour!

I had one of those with a cheese sandwich at lunchtime.

Mobyduck
24-03-2020, 19:25
Tonight I have mostly been drinking this...1938
And this...

ETA
25-03-2020, 06:54
I think I had too many ciders last night. I don't even remember how I got home from the kitchen.

sheffield hatter
25-03-2020, 10:21
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout 7%. I picked this up in a local bottle shop (https://www.facebook.com/TheDramShopUK/) a few days ago. It's not exactly the world's greatest imperial stout, lacking as it does something of the complexity and depth that the style demands. Unusually, this one was in a 355ml bottle.

Art Brew Anarchist Party Bitter 7.2%. Also from the Dram Shop, Art Brew (https://www.facebook.com/ArtBrewBrewery/) is a brewery I've not come across before, based on a farm in Sutcombe, North Devon. I don't think I've ever drunk a beer this strong that was described as a bitter. But it is definitely true to style, being malty and yeasty with a bitter finish. Only had a 330ml bottle - will have to see if I can get some more.

In other news - a couple of deliveries yesterday: four 5 litre kegs of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter, and some bottles from Black Sheep: ten of Riggwelter and eight of their attempt at an imperial stout. I'll let you know how I get on with those.

NickDavies
26-03-2020, 17:36
Having a drink of Hogs Back 5 Hop lager and it's a nice drink. Seldom drink bitter at home, to me it's a very different drink to cask which I don't enjoy nearly as much. Part of it is temperature, room temp too warm, fridge too cold.

sheffield hatter
26-03-2020, 17:50
It was time to broach the keg of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter! It's not easy pouring a pint of beer and taking a photo at the same time, but I managed somehow. The beer's pretty good, but not the same as drinking in a pub.

Wittenden
26-03-2020, 18:04
It was time to broach the keg of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter! It's not easy pouring a pint of beer and taking a photo at the same time, but I managed somehow. The beer's pretty good, but not the same as drinking in a pub.

Luverly.

oldboots
26-03-2020, 18:15
I slipped in a quick Acorn Old Moor Porter last night but didn't enjoy it as much as usual and certainly not as much as the pub so I left off drinking at that point. Today I had a delivery from Beer Hawk of two boxes, one of Irish beers and one of UK ones they had on cheap, along with the three boxes of Roosters delivered yesterday (which my son has already raided - I will exact my revenge when his Beavertown order arrives) plus three 5 litre mini-kegs from Rudgate, I should be OK for a bit.

So this afternoon I got tempted and so far I've sampled a London Irish Helles (nice but not special), a Saltaire Amarillo (no where near as good as the cask version) and a Rudgate Jorvic in bottle at 4.6 although my mini-keg is supposed to be only 3.8%. I may have a Baby Faced Assassin next but only a children's portion with my prawn curry.

sheffield hatter
26-03-2020, 18:21
I may have a Baby Faced Assassin next but only a children's portion.

Don't anyone tell the Portman Group (https://www.portmangroup.org.uk/about/)! :eek:

Aqualung
26-03-2020, 18:27
I got a call today saying my op was cancelled so I'm back on the Big Milk Stout & Roaster Coaster from Tesco. It's just as well I had stockpiled it!

rpadam
26-03-2020, 19:01
Looks like you made that purchase just in time - this was the Harvey's e-mail newsletter today:

1948 Hello

As a result of the ongoing Coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic we have taken the difficult decision to scale back our operations at Harvey's.

Much like many other breweries in the UK, and businesses around the world right now, our landscape is ever changing and we are trying our best to keep our staff and customers safe.

We are taking part in the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and reduced our team to the bare minimum required to continue essential activities that will facilitate a resumption of production when circumstances permit.

We are brewing, of necessity, to reproduce and preserve our unique yeast strain - so the familiar smell of hops and malt may still drift across the town on occasions. Hopefully we will be able to store and, eventually, bottle the resultant brews.

The Brewery Shop is closed until further notice, and the online shop has been suspended. However, we hope to be back online with a more limited selection as soon as possible.

We welcomed an extraordinary amount of online orders this past week which we are working through and sending out. If you have any questions about orders please email shop@harveys.org.uk, and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can.

Some Harvey's pubs are still operating as community hubs, and we recommend that you contact any individual pubs directly to see if they are continuing any of their previous initiatives.

Further updates will be posted on our website and social media channels online as and when they occur, we are monitoring email and social if you wish to contact us via those means.

Please keep safe, and continue to do your part by following Government guidelines.

Our sincerest thanks to all of you once again for your support.

oldboots
26-03-2020, 19:52
Looks like you made that purchase just in time - this was the Harvey's e-mail newsletter today:

1948 Hello

As a result of the ongoing Coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic we have taken the difficult decision to scale back our operations at Harvey's...

TImothy Taylors said much the same this week, scaling back but still brewing to preserve the integrity of the yeast strain. I wish I'd ordered a case of their Le Coq Imperial Russian Stout before this.

oldboots
26-03-2020, 19:56
Don't anyone tell the Portman Group (https://www.portmangroup.org.uk/about/)! :eek:

whisper it quietly, I had two children's sized cans tonight; to ease the pain in my bad back you understand ;)

rpadam
26-03-2020, 20:18
Tonight it was a half of scrumpy that the vendor may have called The Pledge, if I heard them correctly; and to the untutored palate it might resemble a cloudy, if pleasingly piquant, apple juice...

Mobyduck
26-03-2020, 20:42
I got a call today saying my op was cancelled so I'm back on the Big Milk Stout & Roaster Coaster from Tesco. It's just as well I had stockpiled it!

They left it a bit late telling you didn't they.

ETA
26-03-2020, 22:42
Today: bought two crates of beer from Fine Tuned, put one bottle in every room in the house.

Tomorrow: pub crawl.

Aqualung
26-03-2020, 22:44
They left it a bit late telling you didn't they.

The only reason I heard was because one of the nurses took the results of a cardiac test I did yesterday to the anaesthetist (I had to paste that word!) and he told her it had been cancelled. It would have been much, much worse if I had gone through all the prep and got turned away at 07:00am. I was told in advance it might get cancelled if there were no beds.

sheffield hatter
27-03-2020, 09:49
...put one bottle in every room in the house.

... pub crawl.

Like it!

sheffield hatter
27-03-2020, 10:27
Three interesting bottles last night: another one from Art Brew: described as a Ginger & Chilli IPA (https://untappd.com/b/art-brew-ginger-and-chilli-ipa/2013028)6%, there wasn't much of an IPA about it, and it wasn't in very good coindition. Better was the Deep Inside Porter 6% by La Pirata (http://www.thebrewerfactory.com/en-GB/deep-inside-1?oscsid=1vc5894h1grvhoshtkn7c82jc4) brewery in Barcelona. Some complex flavours, with chocolate to the fore, and in very good condition. Finally, my first bottle of Black Sheep Imperial Russian (https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/shop/imperial-russian-stout/) 8.5%, which didn't taste as strong as the label says, but I'm not arguing. Comparatively easy drinking for its type, and perhaps not as tasty as I'd been hoping, but maybe my taste buds had taken a bit of a hammering.

Spinko
27-03-2020, 15:45
Four cans of punk IPA, four cans of Elvis Juice, and eight cans of Vocation Life and Death in for tomorrow. £18 for the lot gathered in Eston Cleveland Tesco yesterday morning.

Mobyduck
27-03-2020, 16:01
Three interesting bottles last night: another one from Art Brew: described as a Ginger & Chilli IPA (https://untappd.com/b/art-brew-ginger-and-chilli-ipa/2013028)6%, there wasn't much of an IPA about it, and it wasn't in very good coindition. Better was the Deep Inside Porter 6% by La Pirata (http://www.thebrewerfactory.com/en-GB/deep-inside-1?oscsid=1vc5894h1grvhoshtkn7c82jc4) brewery in Barcelona. Some complex flavours, with chocolate to the fore, and in very good condition. Finally, my first bottle of Black Sheep Imperial Russian (https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/shop/imperial-russian-stout/) 8.5%, which didn't taste as strong as the label says, but I'm not arguing. Comparatively easy drinking for its type, and perhaps not as tasty as I'd been hoping, but maybe my taste buds had taken a bit of a hammering.

If you had the Ginger & Chilli first, I'm not surprised your taste buds were shot. :ninja:

Aqualung
27-03-2020, 18:12
Four cans of punk IPA, four cans of Elvis Juice, and eight cans of Vocation Life and Death in for tomorrow. £18 for the lot gathered in Eston Cleveland Tesco yesterday morning.
That won't be enough! I'd go back and get some Roaster Coaster and Mr President just in case, as much as you can carry!

Pangolin
27-03-2020, 21:21
Rooting through the back of the 'cellar', I came across this. A 2010 bottle of Waitrose Duchy Original Old Ruby Ale, made with heritage barley, which I have no recollection whatever of purchasing. Anyway, despite being 9 years past its Best before I gave it a go and it was quite superb - a full malty front with a dry fruit finish, to use some poncey terminology. Not a lot of carbonation but all the better for that. Apparently brewed by Wychwood. I may have to seek out a Waitrose...

sheffield hatter
27-03-2020, 21:47
If you had the Ginger & Chilli first, I'm not surprised your taste buds were shot. :ninja:

Thanks for the advice. I went for another Black Sheep Imperial Russian 8.5% tonight, but this time I kicked off with a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter 4%, after which the Russian came through at full volume. Very nice.

Aqualung
27-03-2020, 22:47
Apparently brewed by Wychwood.
I remember the early days of Wychwood when they started a chain of pubs called Hobgoblin. I also remember their beers being available in the E10 Deum JDW. If I think the cask Hobgoblin was 5.5%. The other one I remember was a strong (6.5%) pale called Dog's Bollocks. The pump clip was just as raucous as the name!
Hobgoblin Gold isn't bad but all the other Wychwood products I've tried are second rate.

ETA
28-03-2020, 06:48
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

#1 The Hall. A really nice, airy single room bar, no counter as such but a table at one end that looks like a piano. Oh, it is a piano. The room is double height, and there is a stone open fireplace that was laid for later, presumably, though there weren’t many customers in, so I don’t suppose they’ll bother lighting it today. There is a nice stone floor, though this makes it a bit echoey when it’s not busy. I believe they host the odd function here, though it lacks any seating so I’m not sure how that works out. There’s no entertainment other than the piano/bar, so it’s more geared to vertical drinking and chit-chat. The pub dog, a friendly, boisterous Malinois, was very keen to play with me, and the welcome was initially warm, though the landlady did ask me what I was doing there. A very odd question, I thought. There are 2 picture windows looking out onto a pleasant lawned garden at the front, there was plenty of parking, but no outside play facilities for children. I had a bottle of Fine Tuned Sunshine Reggae, which was kept at room temperature and was most enjoyable. I would have had more, but time was moving on and I wanted to try other local establishments. I’m sure I’ll pass through here again in the not-too-distant future. 7/10

#2 The Dining Room. This food-led single-room bar/diner wasn’t serving food when I arrived, so I just had the one drink and moved on. It’s a pleasant place, a couple of nice pictures on the wall and a picture window overlooking a pleasant lawned garden at the front. No garden furniture as such, but a nice view to the hedge where the pub dog, a bouncy, boisterous Malinois, was happily devouring a small furry animal it had caught. The parquet floor and plush soft furnishings, along with a woodburner which was laid ready but not lit, presumably because there weren’t many customers in. There is a do-it-yourself jukebox in the corner, but when I put on a CD the landlady, who resembled the landlady of The Hall, asked what I thought I was doing. The bar was a help-yourself cabinet in the corner. No draught ale, but there was a bottle of Sunshine Reggae, which was kept at room temperature, and a good selection of wines. I had a beer and a glass of Merlot, then left. I quite enjoyed the visit, and I’d like to come back some time when they’re doing food. 7/10

#3 The Kitchen. This was a busy food-led establishment, a large L-shaped ground floor bar with a food servery at one end, some comfy seating at the apex and a conservatory with nice views over a secluded rear garden and a paved patio with a couple of chairs. There is a large TV screen showing pre-recorded sports events, the floor is tiled, there are oak beams and it has a homely, lived-in feel. The pub dog, a rather lively, slighltly annoying Malinois, pestered for treats, while the landlady – the absolute spitting image of The Dining Room’s landlady – did seem a little grumpy. There is a variety of seating styles ranging from a sofa in the corner to chairs and barstools. Tried to order food, but apparently they’d stopped serving a while ago and I was told to ‘bloody well get my own’ – clearly some training in customer service is needed. I had a bottle of Sunshine Reggae, a really nice beer, room temperature, and a glass of chilled cider from a large fridge. Got shouted at for not returning my glass to the bar. Left without paying, this one best left to the locals. 4/10

#4 The Drawing Room. Entered through a paved patio with a couple of chairs next to a secluded rear lawn, avoided tripping over the pub dog, an annoying Malinois, found a single-room bar with no counter, just a cupboard with some spirits and a single bottle of Sunshine Reggae, room temperature, spilled some beer, had a whisky chaser, and got shouted at by the landlady, clearly a clone of the angry one in The Kitchen. There were 3 large comfy sofas, small table, carpeted floor with Sunshine Reggae stain on floor by glass doors. No other customers so left. A nice comfy pub but the atmosphere means I probably won’t come back just yet. Wanted to put something on the DIY jukebox but got sworn at as the landlady was more interested in watching the large TV showing some drama thing on ITV. Could be so much nicer. Tripped over annoying pub dog, a mangey Mally- Mallo- Malenw – mongrel on way out of other door. Will come back if not barred. 5/10

#5 The Study. Nice parky flawed rheum, comfy chairs by Victorian fireplace laid but not lit as no-one in. Picture window with boring view of grass at front. No parking. Plus side, no children. Waited to get served, no-one came. Heard pub dog – some brown thing – scrabbling at door and ignored the little sod. Bottle of port on table, had one, found warm Sunshine Reggae and drank that. Dropped empty bottle, bugger. Feeling a bit light headed, went to upstairs toilet to avoid vicious landlady, clearly from the same litter as the one from The Drawing Room. DIY jukebox, put some Deep Purple on, ran away. Might come back if feeling sociable in future. 8/10

#6 Bedroom Two. Strange Goth-friendly place, dark as all curtains closed, untidy room. Smells of stale trainers and shower gel. Couldn’t find bar, nowhere to sit, barmaid was female in early 20s, a younger vershun – versen – looked like landlady at The Study but without wrinkles and had more hair. Also young bloke who looked bemused and didn't want to chat. Rude, told me to get out. I got hiccups. Looked for beer, tripped over empty bottle of Sunshine Reggae. Pub dog noisy horrible Belgian thing yapping away dowstairs. Left, stood on something which broke, was abused by locals, not allowed to use bog. Won’t go back. 3/10

#7 Bdrom One. Large single room bar with a carpet which wa very cumftabl on hands and knees. Came face to face with pub dog which woz reely a fat black and white cat that swore at me. Saw bottle of Sunshete Rigger very, very high up on a cupbud, couldn’t reach, stand up, grab bottle, fall over. Bugger no opener. Room temperature. Tried reach wondow view garden. Veru cross landlady, pretty lady looks like Landlady of Drawing Room, shouts a lot when I try to kiss. Seems familiar from somewhere. One other customr shouting like young lady in Bedroom 2 somehign about me drunk but im not ver unfiendly pub not wanting to come bak, 2/10 pub dog stroppy Mali thing barking dowstairszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NickDavies
28-03-2020, 07:42
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

Brilliant.

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 08:12
Ha Ha, what it is to have time on your hands. :D

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 08:40
ETA you have surpassed yourself. :notworthy:

Good luck with the hangover......

ETA
28-03-2020, 09:10
Ha Ha, what it is to have time on your hands. :D

It's time I should have spent in the Wyndham Arms!

ETA
28-03-2020, 09:11
Good luck with the hangover......

Thank BF, guess Hair of the Pub Dog will help.

oldboots
28-03-2020, 09:26
Rooting through the back of the 'cellar', I came across this. A 2010 bottle of Waitrose Duchy Original Old Ruby Ale, made with heritage barley, which I have no recollection whatever of purchasing. Anyway, despite being 9 years past its Best before I gave it a go and it was quite superb - a full malty front with a dry fruit finish, to use some poncey terminology. Not a lot of carbonation but all the better for that. Apparently brewed by Wychwood. I may have to seek out a Waitrose...

I thought at first you might have required a time machine however Duchy Originals is now run by Waitrose (not the impression I gained when watching The Windsors (https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-windsors/on-demand/67270-005) the other night) and apparently still brewed in Oxfordshire. That suggests it's at the old Wychwood brewery in Witney rather than at Banks's in Wolverhampton

You should be able to get a delivery from https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/duchy-from-waitrose-old-ruby-ale-england/024640-11924-11925 for a very reasonable £2.09 / 500ml.

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 09:31

This is what's available Chez Moi for this evening.Before Aqualung blows a fuse about the inclusion of beer from the Marston's portfolio of breweries ,these were a gift to me from a friend who knows I enjoy beer,but knows very little about beer.They are normally reserved for anyone coming around who only drinks BBB,but in the present circumstances they may as well get consumed.

I have reserves of a lot more Elvis Juice,and am awaiting a delivery of a selection of other beers.

See you all at 7pm

oldboots
28-03-2020, 09:32
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

#1 The Hall...

At least you didn't have to walk far and it seems your beer compass was in full working order.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 09:45
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

It's good to be able to laugh about something. I'd forgotten...

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 16:17
I went for another Black Sheep Imperial Russian 8.5% tonight, but this time I kicked off with a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter 4%, after which the Russian came through at full volume. Very nice.

...and followed up with Abbeydale Crossing the Threshold (https://www.eebriatrade.com/products/beer/abbeydale-brewery/25618-crossing-the-threshold) a 6.7% dessert stout, which I had been asssured (by the guy at the Dram Shop) had just the right amount of coconut in it. I commented that a lot of people would think the correct amount of coconut in a stout would be zero, but decided to try it anyway. There's plenty of coconut on the nose, and the initial flavour is pretty strong on coconut too, but after that it starts to be more like a normal stout. (I didn't detect any steamed rice cakes, Vietnamese or otherwise.)

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 16:48
I have reserves of a lot more Elvis Juice,and am awaiting a delivery of a selection of other beers.

I know some of you guys swear by, or at least are prepared to try, BrewDog beers. I've tried, but can't get on their wavelength. I once had a sip of Punk IPA, when a server poured it having misheard a request for GK IPA (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58187/), and it tasted like Fanta (or possibly Orangina). I tried to drink a half of Dead Pony Club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/76258/) several years ago, but it was too disgusting and I poured it into the urinal. And I went into their pub in Sheffield when it first opened (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81531/), and compared the Punk IPA I had then to tangerine peel and WD40.

I think part of the problem is nominative determinism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism). Like I can't imagine going into a bar called Slug & Lettuce and ordering a salad. Yeuk! As a vegetarian, I hesitate just for a nanosecond before entering a pub called the Butchers Arms. (I know it's silly, you don't have to tell me!)

And of course Elvis Juice sounds like it's been brewed using the decomposing remains of a famous pop star after they have dripped through a crack in his coffin. Double yeuk!!! Now, I know they're just trying to shock, and their beers are meant to appeal to the sort of people (punks?) who think that shocking people who are old enough to be their parents/grandparents is a really fun thing to do, and shows how cool you are. To me it just means that I don't have to decide whether to drink one of their beers; same as it never occurs to me to cross the threshold of a Slug & Lettuce. It decides itself, as far as I'm concerned.

Just like you would never let a pint of something called Boring Brown Bitter pass your lips!

See you all at 7pm

I might be there a little earlier. I can hear a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter calling...

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 17:29
...and followed up with Abbeydale Crossing the Threshold (https://www.eebriatrade.com/products/beer/abbeydale-brewery/25618-crossing-the-threshold) a 6.7% dessert stout, which I had been asssured (by the guy at the Dram Shop) had just the right amount of coconut in it. I commented that a lot of people would think the correct amount of coconut in a stout would be zero, but decided to try it anyway. There's plenty of coconut on the nose, and the initial flavour is pretty strong on coconut too, but after that it starts to be more like a normal stout. (I didn't detect any steamed rice cakes, Vietnamese or otherwise.)

Back in the olden days last month when pubs used to be open, I had a Coconut Stout From Three Castles Brewery, on cask, only a 4%er but bloody gorgeous, not overly coconuty but nice and smooth.

Pangolin
28-03-2020, 17:31
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

Brilliant stuff. I will just take one exception - I am sure I have been on worse Pub Crawls!

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 17:34
I know some of you guys swear by, or at least are prepared to try, BrewDog beers. I've tried, but can't get on their wavelength. I once had a sip of Punk IPA, when a server poured it having misheard a request for GK IPA (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58187/), and it tasted like Fanta (or possibly Orangina). I tried to drink a half of Dead Pony Club (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/76258/) several years ago, but it was too disgusting and I poured it into the urinal. And I went into their pub in Sheffield when it first opened (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81531/), and compared the Punk IPA I had then to tangerine peel and WD40.

I think part of the problem is nominative determinism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism). Like I can't imagine going into a bar called Slug & Lettuce and ordering a salad. Yeuk! As a vegetarian, I hesitate just for a nanosecond before entering a pub called the Butchers Arms. (I know it's silly, you don't have to tell me!)

And of course Elvis Juice sounds like it's been brewed using the decomposing remains of a famous pop star after they have dripped through a crack in his coffin. Double yeuk!!! Now, I know they're just trying to shock, and their beers are meant to appeal to the sort of people (punks?) who think that shocking people who are old enough to be their parents/grandparents is a really fun thing to do, and shows how cool you are. To me it just means that I don't have to decide whether to drink one of their beers; same as it never occurs to me to cross the threshold of a Slug & Lettuce. It decides itself, as far as I'm concerned.

Just like you would never let a pint of something called Boring Brown Bitter pass your lips!

I might be there a little earlier. I can hear a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter calling...

As it happens I've just cracked open a bottle of Elvis Juice and my names not even Elvis!

ROBCamra
28-03-2020, 17:41
As it happens I've just cracked open a bottle of Elvis Juice and my names not even Elvis!

Will be able to drink Elvis Juice when the bloody stuff eventually arrives. Quoted 3 - 5 days delivery.

Today is day 5, order says still "In Packing".

Sod it, I'll go and drink some Vocation. Got Heart & Soul, Pride & Joy and Life & Death, plus may well nick a glass of Ms CAMRAs red wine.

Good job I don't drink at home normally, still it's not normal at the moment is it? :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 18:09
Evening All !

Thought I would start on something sensible before hitting the high ABV.This Brakspear Bitter 3.4% was much better than expected for something lurking at the back of my cupboard.A faint malty nose but nicely balanced with Goldings and Fuggles,maybe the Double Drop process was responsible for a decent beer .6/10.

Tris39
28-03-2020, 18:13
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

Brilliant!

I thought at first you might have required a time machine however Duchy Originals is now run by Waitrose (not the impression I gained when watching The Windsors (https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-windsors/on-demand/67270-005) the other night) and apparently still brewed in Oxfordshire. That suggests it's at the old Wychwood brewery in Witney rather than at Banks's in Wolverhampton

You should be able to get a delivery from https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/duchy-from-waitrose-old-ruby-ale-england/024640-11924-11925 for a very reasonable £2.09 / 500ml.

I think that Waitrose is the exclusive dealer for Duchy Originals though given that Prince Charles is currently laid up with Corona, I doubt he'll out in his shed brewing for some time.

oldboots
28-03-2020, 18:19
I know some of you guys swear by, or at least are prepared to try, BrewDog beers. I've tried, but can't get on their wavelength....

Spookily my garage stash includes this 1964

Back in the olden days last month when pubs used to be open, I had a Coconut Stout From Three Castles Brewery, on cask, only a 4%er but bloody gorgeous, not overly coconuty but nice and smooth.

One of my favourite styles is the coconut stout, one of the best being - 1963

oldboots
28-03-2020, 18:25
Evening All !

Evening chaps, I thought I'd clean up some of my garage this afternoon, sadly that's a nice cool place to store my recent deliveries. Consequently I thought I'd tidy up the can contingent of stored beers rather than the dusty boxes of old rubbish. I'm currently working on completing this wall 1965

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 18:41
Next one down.

Vocation Pride & Joy 5.3%,citrus and mango American Pale Ale,with a good bitterness at the end 7/10.

Aqualung
28-03-2020, 18:56
Worst Pub Crawl Ever

It sounds as shambolic as the Biddenden cider outings in the 1980s!

rpadam
28-03-2020, 19:03
It sounds as shambolic as the Biddenden cider outings in the 1980s!
Re-live the old days in the comfort of your own home, with all you need still available here: Biddenden ciders (https://biddendenvineyards.com/our-drinks/our-ciders/)!

london calling
28-03-2020, 19:22
Late on parade as my son phoned and wanted to talk mostly about beer.Such a pest my boy..Great post by ETA especially the kitchen scene.
Anyway didn't bother with the bottleshops as I can get 8 tins of Jaipur for £9.
Started with the Jaipur.Still a great hoppy beer and more consistent than ever.Once many years ago got a pint of it in the White Horse -parsons green and was telling my son what a great beer it was .Couldn't finish it as it was too hoppy.Literally painfull to swallow there were so many hops in it.
Tonight 7.5

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 19:25
Late on parade as my son phoned and wanted to talk mostly about beer.Such a pest my boy..Great post by ETA especially the kitchen scene.

Ah, I was wondering what had kept you.

Anyway didn't bother with the bottleshops as I can get 8 tins of Jaipur for £9.
Started with the Jaipur.Still a great hoppy beer and more consistent than ever.Once many years ago got a pint of it in the White Horse -parsons green and was telling my son what a great beer it was .Couldn't finish it as it was too hoppy.Literally painfull to swallow there were so many hops in it.

Tonight 7.5

7.5 out of 20? :evilgrin:

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 19:28
Next one up,

BrewDog Elvis Juice 6.5% is described at a Grapefruit Infused IPA but I seem to get more seville orange,bitter but with a lot of sweetness yet not overpowering.It may not be everyone's cup of tea but his to his own . 8/10

london calling
28-03-2020, 19:38
Ah, I was wondering what had kept you.

7.5 out of 20? :evilgrin:

Still able to drink while on the phone so now on
magic Rock --dark arts hazelnut stout.
nice but one dimensional strong aroma of hazelnuts
7/10
best Dark Arts I had was at a Craft Beer Co festival where they have one with rosehips . The only rosehip beer I have had easily 9/10

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 19:44
Still able to drink while on the phone so now on
magic Rock --dark arts hazelnut stout.
nice but one dimensional strong aroma of hazelnuts
7/10

Yes, hazelnuts are tricky. There was one that Neepsend did a couple of years ago - I came across it when I was scoping the pubs in NuL for our pub crawl there. It was very subtle, with the nutty flavour developing gradually. If the proportion of nuts had been wrong it would have been nutty to start with, then nuttier and nuttier. Subtlety is the name of the game (and not just with hazelnuts, I would say).

best Dark Arts I had was at a Craft Beer Co festival where they have one with rosehips . The only rosehip beer I have had easily 9/10

Sounds fascinating. Was it sweet? Or bitter? I once made a wine with rosehips, but it was a lot of hard work for a not terribly rewarding result.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 20:04
I can hear a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter calling...

...and followed by a bottle of Fullers 1845 6.3%. Bottle conditioned, with the earthy maltiness balanced with a hint of Seville orange marmalade.

london calling
28-03-2020, 20:27
Yes, hazelnuts are tricky. There was one that Neepsend did a couple of years ago - I came across it when I was scoping the pubs in NuL for our pub crawl there. It was very subtle, with the nutty flavour developing gradually. If the proportion of nuts had been wrong it would have been nutty to start with, then nuttier and nuttier. Subtlety is the name of the game (and not just with hazelnuts, I would say).
Sounds fascinating. Was it sweet? Or bitter? I once made a wine with rosehips, but it was a lot of hard work for a not terribly rewarding result.

Just a great stout with a slightly sweeter taste but you could taste the rosehips.I remember getting rosehip syrup as a child .Loved it .I have tried load of expensive beers and bought them because of the exotic ingredients thinking they would dominate the beer only to find they had disappeared during the brewing process. Really surprised how hazelnutty that last beer was considering hazelnuts too me(although I have not ate one in the last 20 years)don't have a strong flavour.

london calling
28-03-2020, 20:31
Just finishing Vocation -breakfast club .Good beer but am not tasting the blueberry flavour that I noticed when it first came out.

7/10

london calling
28-03-2020, 20:55
Now drinking Vocation -love and hate.As new England ipa ,s go this is as good as it gets.I love this style. What a great brewer.Drank loads from them and they just seem to nail it every time.
9/10 would have ben 9.5/ 10 but cant score it although 19/20

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 20:59
Next one

Vocation Life & Death 6.5% .A lot more subtle than the Elvis Juice,a US style IPA with a broader array of fruit tastes,some tropical and citrus.Well balanced with good finishing bitterness I've had this on cask and it was one of the BOTY last year.9/10

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 21:01
...but am not tasting the blueberry flavour that I noticed when it first came out.

Maybe it's because of drinking the Jaipur first? (See Mick's response about my disappointing first try at the Black Sheep Imperial Russian. #29)

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 21:08
Now drinking Vocation -love and hate.As new England ipa ,s go this is as good as it gets.I love this style. What a great brewer.Drank loads from them and they just seem to nail it every time.

How strong is that ?

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 21:25

How strong is that ?

"Traditionalists love beer that’s crystal clear, with restrained hops, and a delicate flavour. They’re going to hate this… Love & Hate is our juicily crushable, unapologetically murky, New-England pale ale. An authentic Vermont yeast strain and a big dose of oats work together with our triple dry-hopping process to create beautiful aromas and a silky mouthful."

7.2% (https://www.vocationbrewery.com/collections/core/products/love-hate)

london calling
28-03-2020, 21:29
How strong is that ?

it tastes 4.0

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 21:36
it tastes 4.0

That's because it's like a fruit juice or a smoothy! The texture of the drink hides the alcohol.

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 21:46
it tastes 4.0

Dangerous !

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 21:50
Last one.

Magic Rock Cannonball 7.4% An IPA and a little grainy ,mild toffee but warming with deep bitterness.It too hides it's strength well 8/10

london calling
28-03-2020, 21:53
As recommended by Agualung Drinking Brewdog/eviltwin -roaster coaster a superb 9 precent coffee stout.Sounds like a widget in the can when I opened it as its very creamy.
georgous stout 9/10

london calling
28-03-2020, 21:54
That's because it's like a fruit juice or a smoothy! The texture of the drink hides the alcohol.

It is fruit juicy but that's the style

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 22:02
As recommended by Agualung Drinking Brewdog/eviltwin -roaster coaster a superb 9 precent coffee stout.Sounds like a widget in the can when I opened it as its very creamy.
georgous stout 9/10

Are these in the supermarkets?

Bucking Fastard
28-03-2020, 22:10

Aqualung mentioned Tesco but nowhere to be seen in my local one on my last (infrequent ) visit to get provisions.

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 22:13
Aqualung mentioned Tesco but nowhere to be seen in my local one on my last (infrequent ) visit to get provisions.

My beer stocks are getting low, I may look in my local Tescos tomorrow, but I really can't be doing with these queues at the moment.

london calling
28-03-2020, 22:20

Tesco

Mobyduck
28-03-2020, 22:24
Tesco

Cheers. :cheers:

london calling
28-03-2020, 22:25
Next Saturday we will commence .Try to get a bottle of Doombar the best selling cask/bottled beer in the country and taste it..We can then give our thoughts on it.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 22:27
Next Saturday we will commence .Try to get a bottle of Doombar the best selling cask/bottled beer in the country and taste it..We can then give our thoughts on it.

BOTTLED Doom Bar? I think on the whole I would rather slit my throat.

sheffield hatter
28-03-2020, 22:29
I think on the whole I would rather slit my throat.

Just kidding!

See you next time. Was that last orders?

london calling
28-03-2020, 23:33
Just kidding!

See you next time. Was that last orders?

We have maybe 3 or more months before we can go in pubs so its worth trying something we all agree is a shit beer.Saw it in Marks and Spencers for £2 a bottle today at that price even Aqualung can try it.I could say we could all try something from Kernal but that'snot possible countrywide so lets try something we can all get.

Mobyduck
29-03-2020, 08:40
We have maybe 3 or more months before we can go in pubs so its worth trying something we all agree is a shit beer.Saw it in Marks and Spencers for £2 a bottle today at that price even Aqualung can try it.I could say we could all try something from Kernal but that'snot possible countrywide so lets try something we can all get.

Elvis Juice. :whistle:

Wittenden
29-03-2020, 12:09
We have maybe 3 or more months before we can go in pubs so its worth trying something we all agree is a shit beer.

I reckon shit beer is all we'll get once the pubs are allowed to reopen, going by the speed brewery web shops are depleting.I've just ordered a month of weekends worth of cans, but am dubious of availability next time.

Tris39
30-03-2020, 16:58
Try to get a bottle of Doombar the best selling cask/bottled beer in the country and taste it...

Good idea. I'm running low on hand sanitiser.:whistle:

london calling
30-03-2020, 19:34
I am drinking more pints recently than halfs and quite often when getting halfway down the pint and realising this is a struggle go back to the bar and get a half of stout or porter to add to it.Always improves it imo. Black and tans were part of my youth until I got the taste for Scottish heavy.

london calling
30-03-2020, 19:35
Good idea. I'm running low on hand sanitiser.:whistle:

God,thats where I have been going wrong I have been drinking the beer.

Aqualung
30-03-2020, 22:13
I am drinking more pints recently than halfs and quite often when getting halfway down the pint and realising this is a struggle go back to the bar and get a half of stout or porter to add to it.Always improves it imo. Black and tans were part of my youth until I got the taste for Scottish heavy.
Back in the 1970s in a pub with just rubbish keg, a friend of mine used to drink Guinness and Cider with a Martini thrown in. Remarkably he was awarded an MBE and I don't think it was for services to drinking!

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 18:39
A couple of so-so beers last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn. I bought a few more cans at the Dram Shop last week, one of them was a saison with rye and nettles from Abbeydale. (Click the blurb image for their idea of what I should have been enjoying.) Didn't really do anything for me. So I thought I'd try something more mainstream, Fullers London Porter, which didn't live up to the high opinion that some people have of this beer. Underwhelming would be my one-word description. Certainly drinkable, quaffable even, but not really much to savour. (The glass is a special edition 24oz jug, celebrating the 100 years of Yates & Jackson brewery in 1978. Only six years later the brewery was no more.)

rpadam
31-03-2020, 21:32
The drought is broken!
Turns out I was this local brewery's first ever online buyer, happening to check their part-updated website just as the new 'shop' went live...

london calling
31-03-2020, 21:40
A couple of so-so beers last night at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn. I bought a few more cans at the Dram Shop last week, one of them was a saison with rye and nettles from Abbeydale. (Click the blurb image for their idea of what I should have been enjoying.) Didn't really do anything for me. So I thought I'd try something more mainstream, Fullers London Porter, which didn't live up to the high opinion that some people have of this beer. Underwhelming would be my one-word description. Certainly drinkable, quaffable even, but not really much to savour. (The glass is a special edition 24oz jug, celebrating the 100 years of Yates & Jackson brewery in 1978. Only six years later the brewery was no more.)

Hope you didn't get stung for that nettle beer.

london calling
31-03-2020, 21:43
Back in the 1970s in a pub with just rubbish keg, a friend of mine used to drink Guinness and Cider with a Martini thrown in. Remarkably he was awarded an MBE and I don't think it was for services to drinking!

MBE= i assume that stands for -might be eccentric

Aqualung
31-03-2020, 22:35
MBE= i assume that stands for -might be eccentric
To be fair he gave up this practice years ago and is more a fan of Belgian beers today. When in Belgium drink Belgian beer is my view.

sheffield hatter
31-03-2020, 23:34
Hope you didn't get stung for that nettle beer. :)

I'm afraid all those Abbeydale 440ml cans are a bit pricey. I paid just over £20 for four cans - three Abbeydale, the other one was a Wilde Child/Bad Co Imperial Stout 10.5%

sheffield hatter
01-04-2020, 15:53
Another Abbeydale can, this time Call to Adventure, an 8.2% double IPA, with ekuanot and mosaic hops. I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would, especially after reading the blurb on the can promising "grapefruit and mango". It was a bit too fruit-juicy for my taste, and didn't really pack the alcoholic heft that the abv suggested, but I must admit to a tinge of regret when the last drop left the glass and hit the back of my throat.

Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters, just nine more to go from last week's delivery. It's an old favourite of mine that I haven't had for a while. I'd been classing it along with Theakstons Old Peculier and Dent Th'Owd Tup - strong, dark beers from the Yorkshire Dales, but in fact Riggwelter is a much drier beer than the other two, which have a bit of sweetness about them. I enjoyed this one - I might have another tonight!

Aqualung
01-04-2020, 17:04
Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters.
It appears that this is a response to Old Peculier. To me it's much better. I don't seem to see it much on cask any more.

oldboots
01-04-2020, 17:13
...Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters, just nine more to go from last week's delivery. It's an old favourite of mine that I haven't had for a while. I'd been classing it along with Theakstons Old Peculier and Dent Th'Owd Tup - strong, dark beers from the Yorkshire Dales, but in fact Riggwelter is a much drier beer than the other two, which have a bit of sweetness about them...

You've spotted the main difference between Black Sheep and Theakstons, the difference is particularly noticeable in the Bitters, Theakstons Best is extremely sweet compared to Black Sheep Bitter, that is probably why the locals prefer the Theakstons version.

It appears that this is a response to Old Peculier. To me it's much better. I don't seem to see it much on cask any more.

Most of Theakstons beers were originally matched by a Black Sheep version when Paul T set up the brewery. I see Riggwelter quite often.......in the Brewery Visitors Centre :D

oldboots
01-04-2020, 17:23
Last nights beers for me were a return to bottles after a load of cans.

Weird Beard; Sweet Child O'Pine - excellent, viciously hopped pale.
Fyne Ales; OC Crush - nasty concoction of orange and cranberry.
Thornbridge; Tzara - disappointing much better in cask form.
Wild Beer; Murmur - another disappointment, fairly ordinary.
Roosters; Yankee (can) - excellent, that's why I bought 24 cans last week
Rochfort 10 - yes

The children's portion containers don't do these beers any favours, a 500ml would be so much better, except for the OC Crush nothing would save that. None (bar the Rochfort) were over 5% so I don't see the point.

sheffield hatter
01-04-2020, 17:27
I used to see see Riggwelter quite often.......in the Brewery Visitors Centre :D

I would be envious if it weren't for the obvious fact that that too is currently closed. (I've fixed it for you. ;) )

sheffield hatter
01-04-2020, 17:35

I like Old Peculier too, but I'm not impressed with the bottled version. The cask version has a complexity of flavour, whereas in bottle the sweetness dominates. Riggwelter from the bottle is pretty good, though. (Especially with the loose head that I got from glugging it into my old Y&J glass.)

Theakstons Best is extremely sweet compared to Black Sheep Bitter, that is probably why the locals prefer the Theakstons version.

I've given up on Theakstons Best. In recent years I've had so many dire attempts by useless licensees that I won't waste my money on it. I would only drink it now (if only the pubs were open) mixed with OP to make XB. (Two parts best with one OP.)

Wittenden
01-04-2020, 18:11
Followed up with the first of my Black Sheep Riggwelters, ...but in fact Riggwelter is a much drier beer than the other two, which have a bit of sweetness about them. I enjoyed this one - I might have another tonight!

I used to have a stash of Riggwelters,must replenish in due course. Rigg was frequently found and enjoyed on my Autumnal forages around the Dales, but seemed to be less available of late.. Can't say that I came across.T'Old Tup, but I recall making Dent Aviator my BOTW a few years back.

sheffield hatter
01-04-2020, 18:22
I used to have a stash of Riggwelters,must replenish in due course. Rigg was frequently found and enjoyed on my Autumnal forages around the Dales, but seemed to be less available of late.. Can't say that I came across.T'Old Tup, but I recall making Dent Aviator my BOTW a few years back.

Try here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6355/), next time you're up north. Lovely pub in a very nice village and a beautiful valley. If things ever go back to normal.

Wittenden
02-04-2020, 08:18
Try here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/6355/), next time you're up north. Lovely pub in a very nice village and a beautiful valley. If things ever go back to normal.

On my list,having walked past it ,having already eaten and drank at The Old Hill Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65697/) where I experienced Aviator.

Bucking Fastard
04-04-2020, 18:14
Evening all,so who's drinking what ?

Just had a back of the cupboard bottle conditioned Marston Pedigree.2007

There was no Burton Snatch,just a malty nose and there was a distinct tinny taste on drinking.Indestinct bitterness and overall just bland despite decent carbonation and a good head.I took a look at the dregs and could see no sign of any bottle conditioning .Although the label mentioned the Burton Union system,there was nothing special here 4/10.

london calling
04-04-2020, 18:22
Just had a Doombar.Slightly skunked taste.Good head on pouring but gone within a minute.Surprised its in a clear bottle.A no-no for beer.Quite liked it .Brewed in Burton.7/10

ROBCamra
04-04-2020, 18:22
There's a bottle of Adnams Ghost Ship and a bottle of TT Landlord available in the cupboard.

Why is the Landlord only 4.1% in bottle? Hadn't noticed that before. It's 4.3% on cask.

Vocation Pride & Joy & Life and Death in cans also likely to be on the list. :cheers:

london calling
04-04-2020, 18:25
Then had a Two Tribes -session ipa 3.8 lots of flavour for the strength but a bit harsh.Only one on PG to have visited the brewery tap.Where you can find better beers but keg and card only.

Mobyduck
04-04-2020, 18:34
Started a couple of hours ago, with a bottle of Jaipur,them Knocked the abv average down a bit with a tin of Magic Rock Saucerer then upped it again with a can of Vocation Life & Death, now a brief interlude but I can hear Elvis Juice calling from the Fridge.

london calling
04-04-2020, 19:02
Started a couple of hours ago, with a bottle of Jaipur,them Knocked the abv average down a bit with a tin of Magic Rock Saucerer then upped it again with a can of Vocation Life & Death, now a brief interlude but I can hear Elvis Juice calling from the Fridge.
Tesco I presume? Didn't think much of Saucery when I had it.

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 19:02
I went a bit mainstream yesterday, with some beers picked up on a shopping expedition to the Co-op. These four were among a number of their beers on a 4 for £7 offer, making them £1.75 each.

Last night I tackled the Lagunitas IPA 6.2% and Beardo IPA 6%, the latter brewed by Robinsons (in very small letters on the back of the label). The Lagunitas went down fairly well, though it was perhaps a little unsubtle and one-dimensional; the Beardo was simply unmemorable.

Tonight I'll have a go at Black Sheep's own weird beard effort, Pathmaker 5.6%, plus Brooklyn Defender IPA 5.5%. I hope to round off the evening with another Riggwelter.

Bucking Fastard
04-04-2020, 19:07
Next one Weird Beard Sweet Child O'Pine2009

Poor pouring technique and a bit lively but decent bitterness .Quite punchy taste for 4%,and not one I've come across on cask.7/10

Mobyduck
04-04-2020, 19:11
Tesco I presume? Didn't think much of Saucery when I had it.

No Morrisons , I really like it for a 3.9er.

london calling
04-04-2020, 19:39
Next one Weird Beard Sweet Child O'Pine2009

Poor pouring technique and a bit lively but decent bitterness .Quite punchy taste for 4%,and not one I've come across on cask.7/10

Great name .Beer taste is secondary.

london calling
04-04-2020, 19:41
Just had a Tiny Rebel -shake down mango ipa. .No great shakes 7.5/10

london calling
04-04-2020, 19:42
I went a bit mainstream yesterday, with some beers picked up on a shopping expedition to the Co-op. These four were among a number of their beers on a 4 for £7 offer, making them £1.75 each.

Last night I tackled the Lagunitas IPA 6.2% and Beardo IPA 6%, the latter brewed by Robinsons (in very small letters on the back of the label). The Lagunitas went down fairly well, though it was perhaps a little unsubtle and one-dimensional; the Beardo was simply unmemorable.

Tonight I'll have a go at Black Sheep's own weird beard effort, Pathmaker 5.6%, plus Brooklyn Defender IPA 5.5%. I hope to round off the evening with another Riggwelter.
A bland beer from Robinsons .Now that is a surprise.

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 20:08
I've been joining in on one of the other threads (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31216-testing-dont-read) you've started, John.

Bucking Fastard
04-04-2020, 20:21
Just had a Tiny Rebel -shake down mango ipa. .No great shakes 7.5/10

I've just downed Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica 2010

Lots of peach,some balancing bitterness but slightly harsh 6/10

london calling
04-04-2020, 20:59
Drinking Marks and Spencer -Cambridgeshire citra ipa. this is Oakham green devil ipa but is not a patch on the cask I drank at the Antelope recently or the keg in Wetherspoons Kingston.Still decent 7.5/10

london calling
04-04-2020, 21:01
I've just downed Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica 2010

Lots of peach,some balancing bitterness but slightly harsh 6/10

I work with a couple of guys who think this is brilliant but like you I am unconvinced.

london calling
04-04-2020, 21:02
I've been joining in on one of the other threads (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31216-testing-dont-read) you've started, John.
Just clicked on it.You are a card.ha ha

Bucking Fastard
04-04-2020, 21:05
I work with a couple of guys who think this is brilliant but like you I am unconvinced.

Yes It's quite a marmite beer..........many people rave about it.

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 21:06
Just clicked on it.You are a card.ha ha

...and should be dealt with. (Groan.)

Bucking Fastard
04-04-2020, 21:11
Now onto Magic Rock Common Grounds 2011

A coffee porter with lots of chocolate and vanilla ,5.4% with subtle bitterness.I've had this on cask at their Brewery Tap in Huddersfield ,it great 8/10

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 21:19
I've been watching a game from 1988: Luton v Oxford (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTI5r0x285k) on youtube. Not exactly high definition, and the pitch was made of plastic. It's half-time, 3-2 to the Hatters. I think there are more goals to come...

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 22:09
I think there are more goals to come...

...it finished 7-4, as you'd expect.

london calling
04-04-2020, 22:16
I've been watching a game from 1988: Luton v Oxford (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTI5r0x285k) on youtube. Not exactly high definition, and the pitch was made of plastic. It's half-time, 3-2 to the Hatters. I think there are more goals to come...

Probably 5-3 to Oxford if I remember Luton Town accurately.

sheffield hatter
04-04-2020, 23:24
Probably 5-3 to Oxford if I remember Luton Town accurately.

Fighting talk!

We beat them 5-2 at the Manor Ground that season, then 7-4 at Kenilworth Road. We also played them in the semi-final of the League Cup (over two legs): 1-1 at their place, then 2-0 at home. (We beat Arsenal in the final 3-2.)

Mobyduck
05-04-2020, 08:29
(We beat Arsenal in the final 3-2.)

Thats nothing to boast about. :D

ROBCamra
05-04-2020, 08:41
Received a delivery from Laithwaites this week to keep Ms Camra in red wine.

Had a couple of glasses of Cab Sauv from Moldova. Never had a wine from Moldova before, it's pretty good as well (like almost all Lathwaites wines).

We have another 5 bottles of that one. so I'll definitely be having more. :cheers:

Aqualung
05-04-2020, 10:19
ELB are sending me 24x500ml bottles of Quadrant Stout at what seems a very good price of £55.00. Other than that it's Punk, Jaipur and Vocation from the nearby Tesco Express as the queue at the big Tesco has become ridiculous.

london calling
05-04-2020, 20:33
Fighting talk!

We beat them 5-2 at the Manor Ground that season, then 7-4 at Kenilworth Road. We also played them in the semi-final of the League Cup (over two legs): 1-1 at their place, then 2-0 at home. (We beat Arsenal in the final 3-2.)

I am too young to remember the League cup .

Pangolin
05-04-2020, 23:52
Getting towards the dregs of the cellar now - tonight's was Isle of Wight Garlic Beer (brewed by Yates and actually not bad). Mainly over 8% stuff left, apart from the 'special' bottles. Might be forced to requisition supplies from Big Smoke, who deliver locally.

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 10:21
I am too young to remember the League cup .

The League Cup has been competed for every year since 1960, it's just not always had that name. See this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFL_Cup) for details. At the time the Hatters won it, it was called the Littlewoods Cup.

sheffield hatter
07-04-2020, 14:33
Last night I was watching a performance of One Man, Two Guvnors (https://www.ibc.org/publish/national-theatres-one-man-two-guvnors-hits-2m-views-on-youtube/5686.article) on youtube, accompanied by a couple of beers. It was hilarious - haven't laughed so much for years. By comparison, I barely noticed the beers I was drinking.

Bad Co x Wilde Child Tectonic is a 10.5% imperial stout, but it was a bit too gassy for me, and I had to pour it from one glass to another to release some of the bubbles. A bit too sweet too, with not much at all in the way of depth or complexity.

Next was Tollgate Old Rasputin 4.9%, a porter which I have had in a pub from the cask, but I think this bottled version was actually better. It's bottle conditioned, which can have variable results, but this one, which had been sitting on top of my fridge since Saturday afternoon, was somehow in perfect condition.

ROBCamra
07-04-2020, 14:55
We usually pop out for a few drinks on a Tuesday night in normal world, so I think we shall be calling in at the bar tonight.

Picked up some Bad Co. beers today brewed exclusively for Asda. American IPA 5.2 % and West Coast Pale Ale 5.6%.

Very reasonable at £1.25 for a 330ml can.

Ms Camra will no doubt be starting off on a can of cider and then some red wine.

I'll report back on the Bad Co. beers later or maybe tomorrow. :cheers:

ROBCamra
08-04-2020, 09:09
We usually pop out for a few drinks on a Tuesday night in normal world, so I think we shall be calling in at the bar tonight.

Picked up some Bad Co. beers today brewed exclusively for Asda. American IPA 5.2 % and West Coast Pale Ale 5.6%.

Very reasonable at £1.25 for a 330ml can.

Ms Camra will no doubt be starting off on a can of cider and then some red wine.

I'll report back on the Bad Co. beers later or maybe tomorrow. :cheers:

Enjoyed both of them. The American IPA has some malt taste in it, but still came across as hoppy.

West Coast Pale was more of a hop bomb, but still with a hint of malt.

Both were very slightly hazy. I'll definitely buy some more. :cheers:

sheffield hatter
08-04-2020, 18:44
I'd bought another can of Abbeydale Deliverance at the Dram Shop on Saturday, previously drunk on 23 March, so I must have liked it. Also on the menu last night was Wilde Child Righteous Indignation, a 7.4% New England IPA. Not my favourite style of beer, but variety is the spice of life, apparently.

Yesterday a delivery from local Stancill Brewery arrived: a three litre bag-in-a-box of their very good 4.4% porter. £15 for just over five pints, with free local delivery. I'll be tapping that one today.

oldboots
08-04-2020, 20:09
Stocked up for the bank holiday weekend, which I'm sure will be very busy in the Boots (aka my garage = Public Bar or the front room = Saloon Bar), today I had a delivery of two mini-kegs of Rudgate Ruby Mild (the neighbours have commented on how often a Rudgate van comes up our quiet cul-de-sac). Also got a few slabs from Roosters due tomorrow.

I've been making room in the cellar (aka my garage), tonight with a few bottles left from the last Beer Hawk box, Hawkshead - Red, Camden - Pale, Six Degrees North - Belgian IPA and O'Brother/White Hag - Moonlight Maze. The last of which would be a "sinker" if times weren't so hard ;). Actually that Irish stuff was so bad I had to have a Baby Faced Assassin to take the taste away. :D

Aqualung
08-04-2020, 20:27
Stocked up for the bank holiday weekend, which I'm sure will be very busy in the Boots (aka my garage = Public Bar or the front room = Saloon Bar), today I had a delivery of two mini-kegs of Rudgate Ruby Mild (the neighbours have commented on how often a Rudgate van comes up our quiet cul-de-sac). Also got a few slabs from Roosters due tomorrow.

I'd forgotten about Easter! I'm struggling to remember which day is which. I'm getting two boxes of ELB Cowcatcher tomorrow. They've dropped their prices and are doing free local deliveries while the rest of them seem to be retaining their pub or crafty off licence prices.
These five litre kegs look a good option but do you have a fridge large enough to put one in? I can put up with cold beer but not warm.

sheffield hatter
08-04-2020, 21:22
This bag-in-a-box idea is a good one, but it doesn't result in any good photos. Apart from anything else, the box is fairly boring, and then the pouring requires two hands, which makes photography a bit tricky if you don't want to drop the glass.

I interspersed a couple of pints of the Stancill Porter 4.4% with a bottle of Tollgate Duffield Amber 4.6%. This was not as well conditioned as the same brewery's Old Rasputin from the other day. Perhaps it was a bit too warm. We live and learn.

oldboots
08-04-2020, 21:37
I'd forgotten about Easter!

But the pubs will be on reduced hours on Good Friday ...................OH

I'd forgotten about Easter!
These five litre kegs look a good option but do you have a fridge large enough to put one in? I can put up with cold beer but not warm.

My garage is cool enough at present, I would recommend drinking in two days, mine are real ale and need a few days settling before opening. They obviously need a stable base and being sedimented you will have half a pint or so waste in the bottom. Later on a small fridge will be useful, they're about 18" high and 10" wide.

Pangolin
09-04-2020, 09:03
Yesterday's special was a couple of tins of Eden River Yuzu Juice, picked up at Morrison's remaindered pile for a £1 a go! An extremely bitter, citrus IPA with grapefruit and tangerine as well as the eponymous yuzu, which was quite drinkable after having got past the first kick in the face. Might be nice on a hot summer's day but I can't say I will be seeking it out. Unless it's still £1 a tin...

sheffield hatter
09-04-2020, 17:02

I put my keg of Harveys in the fridge at first, but it's too cold in there. It lost condition and the flavour was badly affected. So instead I took it out about two hours before pouring, which improved it on both counts, without the beer being too warm to drink.

For my next one, I'm leaving it in a cupboard which doesn't get much sun. Hopefully this will help to maintain optimum temperature.

Mobyduck
09-04-2020, 18:30
Currently enjoying this one from Vocation and Magic Rock

ETA
09-04-2020, 19:53
Making a serious dent in the stocks of Langport Bitter - might need another delivery very shortly.

Bucking Fastard
09-04-2020, 20:05
Currently enjoying this one from Vocation and Magic Rock

Is that pokey ? Two good brewers,does it work for you and where did you get it?

london calling
09-04-2020, 20:34
Yesterday's special was a couple of tins of Eden River Yuzu Juice, picked up at Morrison's remaindered pile for a £1 a go! An extremely bitter, citrus IPA with grapefruit and tangerine as well as the eponymous yuzu, which was quite drinkable after having got past the first kick in the face. Might be nice on a hot summer's day but I can't say I will be seeking it out. Unless it's still £1 a tin...
Well worth a pound.Found this was a good beer but a bit tart.

Mobyduck
09-04-2020, 21:12
Is that pokey ? Two good brewers,does it work for you and where did you get it?

Yes 7.0%, a lovely drop of stuff, Tescos I think, possibly Morrisons.

Spinko
10-04-2020, 09:14
Vocation Imperial Stout stash being tucked in to! (48 cans to get through). Maybe early but I was up at 4:00 for training at 6:00. :)

sheffield hatter
10-04-2020, 20:14
I've been in a pub today!

It's all right, no one was breaking the law. Off-sales only. The Gardeners Rest (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43179/), which initially closed with (most of) the rest on 20 March (some set up take out services), has had a re-think about all the untapped barrels in their cellar. An email was sent out this week to all shareholders (it's a community-owned pub), inviting us to come on down this weekend, when two beers per day are available to take out at just £2 a pint. I was there this afternoon and bought four pints of Joules Slumbering Monk 4.5%. Potential customers have to queue (two metres apart) on the pavement outside, with one person at a time entering the pub and paying for their beer with contactless payment. (Service is not limited to shareholders, it's just the publicity that's limited. If it spreads by word of mouth, more beer gets sold. But they don't want hundreds of people all turning up at the same time. Just three hours per day: Sat 3-6, Sun 12-3. Maybe Mon.)

Happy days!

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2020, 20:34
Vocation Imperial Stout stash being tucked in to! (48 cans to get through). Maybe early but I was up at 4:00 for training at 6:00. :)

Managed to find 4 cans of Vocation Life & Death in Tescos which was a useful top up during my increasingly rare visits to buy essential provisions.

Aqualung
10-04-2020, 21:34
Managed to find 4 cans of Vocation Life & Death in Tescos which was a useful top up during my increasingly rare visits to buy essential provisions.
Beer is essential provisions and you should tell anyone who says otherwise where to go! I've just about given up on the big Tesco as the queues and the increasingly unreliable buses are a real pain. I'm getting a double order (96 bottles) from ELB next week. Tesco Express is a bit dearer but not travelling and not going to the pub (JDW excepted) is saving me a fortune.

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2020, 18:22
Just slipped down a BrewDog Indie,a new one on me and decently bitter without going over the top.A winner 4.2% 8/10

sheffield hatter
11-04-2020, 18:34
Welcome to Saturday night in the Pubs Galore Bar! (It is Saturday, isn't it?)

For my first pint, I'm finishing off the container of Joules Slumbering Monk that I bought at the Gardeners Rest yesterday.

OK, two pints, then. Cheers!

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2020, 18:45
Next one up .. 6 Degrees North Hopclassic Belgian IPA (cant find the degree symbol on my keyboard :o)

Bit of poke at 6.6%,bottle says notes of apricot and citrus but I get a nettle thing,deep bitterness and a nose like bottled White Shield of old.Interesting 8/102059

Bottle conditioned so unusually for me I poured with care.

ETA
11-04-2020, 19:10
Just on my third Langport Bitter. I', a bit concerned that the Brewery isn't delivering next week, so I might I have to dip into the back of the cupboard in my workshop where there are some miscellaneous old bottles from the local Spar shop. Mostly Hibgoblin, Goram and Spitfire, I think.

sheffield hatter
11-04-2020, 19:14
Just on my third Langport Bitter. I', a bit concerned that the Brewery isn't delivering next week, so I might I have to dip into the back of the cupboard in my workshop where there are some miscellaneous old bottles from the local Spar shop. Mostly Hibgoblin, Goram and Spitfire, I think.

Have you been doing another of your pub crawls? Typing has gone to pot!

Hibgoblin I can understand. Never come across Goram before. Ah, it's Butcombe! (Handy for a hairy arse, as LC had it.) You seem to have a well-stocked Spar.

ETA
11-04-2020, 19:27
Whoops, big thumbs, small keyboard, can't find specs.

And that ruddy Malinois has just helped herself to half a pint of bitter.

Not many people use the Spar, because they'd prefer to queue at the Co-Op. Yesterday the Spar had 5 different bottled ales, and no queue. The Co-Op, though, had 3 ales at £1.60, but it took over half an hour to buy them. Now it's Summer, though, I might start drinking cider from the local cider mill at around £1.20 a pint.

london calling
11-04-2020, 19:30
Started earlier today
beavertown -gamma ray 8/10
mikkeller -heated seats -9/10
gypsy hill -bandit 8/10

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2020, 19:38
Vocation Life & Death IPA.

6.5% deceptive and dangerous 9/10

Mobyduck
11-04-2020, 19:52
Any room at the bar? Bloody bar blockers.
Finished my Jaipur earlier, a perfect foil for my Chilli con Carne and rice, just started a Vocation Pride And Joy, very nice. 2061

london calling
11-04-2020, 20:00
Managed a bottle of red last night, a change from beer as the local isn't open. Our local is currently doing a takeaway service, so my daily exercise will now be walking the dog via the post office, village shop and back door of the pub. Use of BACS to pay the tab means no-one has to handle cash and I can take it home to drink while waffling away on here.

Perhaps we ought to post reviews of our home drinking locations?
This is my review of John,s Bar Brentford
One rectangular roomed bar to the rear of the property. Large table with 6 comfortable seats.Bit like a micropub but no nobheads trying to get into conversation with you.Charming,generous and witty mine host.Bottles and cans only but Watneys party seven on order.Been here a while and its a bit quiet apart from a tee-total woman who keeps coming in and tut tutting. She has left now.Bloody Nora she is back and is eating and drinking her own food.Obviously doesn't understand the pub etiquette. Free jukebox called Alexa helps the atmosphere. My end of the table now full of cans and bottles but no effort by the woman to clean up the table.Feels like a Wetherspoons on a smaller scale.Thank god she has gone again. Jeepers creepers she is back again and hogging the jukebox.Bloody woman is now singing and dancing to Sister Sledge-We Are Family. Cant hear myself chugging the beer.I am offski .Wonder where the nearest kebab shop is.
rating 3
By the way I took 27 pictures of the outside of the bar which i will post later.Fascinating use of net curtains.Wonder if English Heritage would be interested in this place.Check out photo no 27which I took from the top of a bus and appears to show a ghostly old woman at the top window but when I blew it up a bit it turned out to be a bit of pigeon shit on the bus window.
cheers john

london calling
11-04-2020, 20:46
Another two good uns
Brixton -atlantic ipa 8/10
Brixton -reliance pale ale 7.5/10

sheffield hatter
11-04-2020, 21:04
By the way I took 27 pictures of the outside of the bar which i will post later. Check out photo no 27 which I took from the top of a bus and appears to show a ghostly old woman at the top window but when I blew it up a bit it turned out to be a bit of pigeon shit on the bus window.

Excellent. Just the sort of quality photography this site needs.

oldboots
11-04-2020, 21:22
Excellent. Just the sort of quality photography this site needs.

we have several avant garde photographers who provide just this sort of crap challenging art work

oldboots
11-04-2020, 21:24
I'm just finishing up now having disposed of half a mini-keg of Rudgate Ruby Mild and a few cans of Roosters Yankee.

AlanH
11-04-2020, 21:29
This is my review of John,s Bar Brentford
One rectangular roomed bar to the rear of the property. Large table with 6 comfortable seats.Bit like a micropub but no nobheads trying to get into conversation with you.Charming,generous and witty mine host.Bottles and cans only but Watneys party seven on order.Been here a while and its a bit quiet apart from a tee-total woman who keeps coming in and tut tutting. She has left now.Bloody Nora she is back and is eating and drinking her own food.Obviously doesn't understand the pub etiquette. Free jukebox called Alexa helps the atmosphere. My end of the table now full of cans and bottles but no effort by the woman to clean up the table.Feels like a Wetherspoons on a smaller scale.Thank god she has gone again. Jeepers creepers she is back again and hogging the jukebox.Bloody woman is now singing and dancing to Sister Sledge-We Are Family. Cant hear myself chugging the beer.I am offski .Wonder where the nearest kebab shop is.
rating 3
By the way I took 27 pictures of the outside of the bar which i will post later.Fascinating use of net curtains.Wonder if English Heritage would be interested in this place.Check out photo no 27which I took from the top of a bus and appears to show a ghostly old woman at the top window but when I blew it up a bit it turned out to be a bit of pigeon shit on the bus window.
cheers john

I score a rare maximum 10/10 for the Review. I will score Bar Brentford after tasting the Party Seven!

PS- I hope Mine Host has sacked Bloody Nora for incompetence and recommended her to Tim for a job!

Mobyduck
11-04-2020, 21:43
Entering into Aqualung territory now.
A 9.0% Coffee bomb.

sheffield hatter
12-04-2020, 15:17
I've been in a pub today!

It's all right, no one was breaking the law. Off-sales only. The Gardeners Rest (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43179/), which initially closed with (most of) the rest on 20 March (some set up take out services), has had a re-think about all the untapped barrels in their cellar. An email was sent out this week to all shareholders (it's a community-owned pub), inviting us to come on down this weekend, when two beers per day are available to take out at just £2 a pint. I was there this afternoon and bought four pints of Joules Slumbering Monk 4.5%. Potential customers have to queue (two metres apart) on the pavement outside, with one person at a time entering the pub and paying for their beer with contactless payment. (Service is not limited to shareholders, it's just the publicity that's limited. If it spreads by word of mouth, more beer gets sold. But they don't want hundreds of people all turning up at the same time. Just three hours per day: Sat 3-6, Sun 12-3. Maybe Mon.)

Happy days!

More beer from the Gardeners today: Joules Pale Ale 4.1%, which I've always thought of as fairly ordinary in a pub, but it seems to me a better beer served this way: no sparkler, poured into a plastic container and carried in a rucksack uphill for a mile before decanting into a glass. Probably won't catch on.

Wittenden
12-04-2020, 17:31
Planning on restocking the cellar here at the Wittenden's Retreat. has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/collections/good-things/products/gtb-co-x-big-mountain-brewing-co

I've been enjoying the stash of their IPAs and PAs that I ordered the other week.

sheffield hatter
12-04-2020, 17:48
has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/collections/good-things/products/gtb-co-x-big-mountain-brewing-co

I've seen one on the shelf at my local bottle shop (The Dram Shop (https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487978994e1d70b1%3A0x6a3d1b3c9f25c681!3m1! 7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F p%2FAF1QipOt5EuMwf53XneTxEG5J9WKXxSxvVsyF0iKE5pu%3 Dw283-h160-k-no!5sThe%20Dram%20Shop%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOt5EuMwf53XneTxEG5J9WKXxSxv VsyF0iKE5pu&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil88H6uOPoAhViWxUIHenRA3YQoiowCnoECB4QB g)) but didn't know anything about it. Did some reading today and thought I'd try one next time I'm out shopping for essentials.

london calling
12-04-2020, 21:13
Planning on restocking the cellar here at the Wittenden's Retreat. has anyone any experience of beer made with kveik yeast? It has been discussed on various blogs, but I've never tried it. Good Things brewing does one:https://shop.goodthingsbrewing.co/collections/good-things/products/gtb-co-x-big-mountain-brewing-co

I've been enjoying the stash of their IPAs and PAs that I ordered the other week.
I have had 4 or 5 and was led to believe that it gives a fruity taste.Cant say it makes much difference but 4 out of the five were good beers.Both my local microbrewers had had a go and both good.Last one was Fearless Nomad (brewing in the Black Dog Brentford) who did a dark mild with kviek and was really good but sadly it was only on the bar 2 days before the closedown.Had a decent keg beer from Good Things in the Mitre Richmond and the landlord told me the couple who brew the beer in Kent have a flat around the corner from the pub and sometimes pop in .

london calling
12-04-2020, 21:17
I score a rare maximum 10/10 for the Review. I will score Bar Brentford after tasting the Party Seven!

PS- I hope Mine Host has sacked Bloody Nora for incompetence and recommended her to Tim for a job!

Sadly Tim has furloughed her that's why she is haunting me.

london calling
12-04-2020, 21:27
Tried Adnams -Triple English Hop which was well dull.Made with surplus bread from M&S so here were the ingredients
hops ,water,barley,malted bread,wheat flour,calcium carbonate,iron ,niacin,thiamin,malted wheat flakes,wheat bran,yeast,vitamin d yeast,salt,emulsifier,e472e,e471,rapeseed oil,absorbic acid and oats. Yep just traditional ingredients.
My son in law called it Triple English Flop. Not far wrong there.

Pangolin
16-04-2020, 11:33
Last night I exhumed a rather out-of-date bottle of St Peters Plum Porter. The flavour was still good but the carbonation had all gone to buggery, so it wasn't great.

Quinno
16-04-2020, 15:19
I've decided to use this opportunity to go to all the local supermarkets and try their wares, as I rarely drink at home bar sharing the Beer52 box with the missus. Living in central Reading I'm lucky enough to have a Lidl, Sainsdburys, Aldi, Waitrose, Tesco and M&S within walking distance.

I'll post-up any that take my fancy. Hopefully there'll be the odd gem or two...

Spinko
16-04-2020, 18:10
My 48 cans of Vocation Smash and Grab arrived this morning. I've not even got through one third of their Imperial Stout yet!

ROBCamra
16-04-2020, 18:39
Paul at Pictish Brewery in Rochdale is doing 5 litre Beer In A Box for £15, directly from the brewery doorway.

He can do 50 per day and sold out today. Luckily he'll have some more ready tomorrow. Choice of 4 of his beers as well.

I think Paul's going to survive this. :notworthy:

Aqualung
16-04-2020, 18:54
Paul at Pictish Brewery in Rochdale is doing 5 litre Beer In A Box for £15, directly from the brewery doorway.

He can do 50 per day and sold out today. Luckily he'll have some more ready tomorrow. Choice of 4 of his beers as well.

That's about £1.70 a pint which I'm sure is more than they get selling it to pubs.
ELB are throwing everything into off sales with free delivery in the East London area. I had my third and largest delivery on Tuesday which included 6 x 750ml bottles of so called IS. If the Jamboree is clear tomorrow then I'll try one!

Spinko
17-04-2020, 04:55

The winners and losers out of this is quite unpredictable but the adaptable should do alright

trainman
17-04-2020, 19:53
Been struggling for beer but had notification today that Oakham back online, avg £2 per btl but in tough circumstances the £170 order was immediately submitted, incl some Green Devil.
When I previously had asked about unavailability of the shop area of the website I got a very detailed reply, incl where I might find their beers under different label, eg at m+s, and I have just had another message (from Nick) saying he wanted to notify me they were back online but could see I 'beat him to the punch' (ie order already placed), nice touch that, I thought.

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 18:16
First one up this evening Wild Beer Sleeping Lemons 3.6% .Described as a Gose,the preserved lemons and salt give it a sour taste,but a gingerish nose gives it a refreshing ,zesty monthfeel.Decent 7/10

london calling
18-04-2020, 18:30
First one up this evening Wild Beer Sleeping Lemons 3.6% .Described as a Gose,the preserved lemons and salt give it a sour taste,but a gingerish nose gives it a refreshing ,zesty monthfeel.Decent 7/10
I rated that as my worst beer this year on another site.Undrinkable to my palate but I only tried it as I had heard it was good although I knew I hate lemons.Enjoy

london calling
18-04-2020, 18:32
First one tonight All bought in Asda. Bad Co -west coast pale ale .gave it 7.5 then re rated it after the second tin to 8.00

Mobyduck
18-04-2020, 18:46
Did have an Oakham Inferno lunchtime but first tonight is Amundsun Chuggernaut 4.7%,brought a couple of days ago in Cobbetts (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82200/) , a decent flavour but maybe a little thin tasting. 6/10

oldboots
18-04-2020, 18:53
I rated that as my worst beer this year on another site.Undrinkable to my palate but I only tried it as I had heard it was good although I knew I hate lemons.Enjoy

Nope, Fyne Ales: OC Crush closely followed by Wild Beer: Murmur, both in the Beer Hawk £30 mixed box, both best used as sink cleaner.

london calling
18-04-2020, 19:12
Bad Co -boston tea party. A very good neipa 8.0

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 19:22
Next one up Howling Hops House IPA 6.9% from a consignment direct from the brewery in Hackney Wick.Unfined and murky but lots of seville orange without overkill.A fine quaff and hides it strength very well 9/10

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:05
Now onto Brewdog -zombie cake .good but only a 7 got 4 tins of it so might mix it with something else.

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 20:15
Now onto Brewdog -zombie cake .good but only a 7 got 4 tins of it so might mix it with something else.

Is that a stout ? I think I had it on draft before Christmas but didn't rush for a second.

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 20:19
After that pokey Howling Hops House IPA ,now shifted to a can of Vocation Pure Pilsner to cleanse the palate . A cat piss nose ,bit of malt but not unpleasant .More a session drink but indestinct 6/10.

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:37
Is that a stout ? I think I had it on draft before Christmas but didn't rush for a second.

Porter they say 4 x330 ml for £6 .Good but not great imo

london calling
18-04-2020, 20:42
Also had it on draft (an Americanism for draught )in Brewdog and was unimpressed but already had a couple of awesome (another Americanism for quite good)stouts before it so gave it another chance

Bucking Fastard
18-04-2020, 20:56
Probably my last for this evening ,and the best. Vocation Life & Death. I got 4 small tins from Tesco but packed with flavours from hops to sweetness all in harmony .10/10.

Mobyduck
18-04-2020, 21:34
Currently on Siren Broken Dream from a bottle, it poured without a head but not at all flat?Great flavour. 8/10.

london calling
18-04-2020, 21:38
Probably my last for this evening ,and the best. Vocation Life & Death. I got 4 small tins from Tesco but packed with flavours from hops to sweetness all in harmony .10/10.

The only beer I have gave a 9.0 Makes me wonder why I go to the pub.Kamikono mentioned on another thread that his better half had bought him some life and death. He has picked a winner.

Spinko
19-04-2020, 09:05

Their Smash and Grab is excellent too. Got 48 cans delivered on Thursday!

sheffield hatter
19-04-2020, 19:47
More beer from the Gardeners today: Joules Pale Ale 4.1%, which I've always thought of as fairly ordinary in a pub, but it seems to me a better beer served this way: no sparkler, poured into a plastic container and carried in a rucksack uphill for a mile before decanting into a glass. Probably won't catch on.

Just finished my second (and unfortunately last) four pint container of Joules Pale Ale 4.1%. It's the last because they reckoned they would probably sell out today and there are no plans to get any more in. (Just using up what was in the cellar when the pub closed on 20 March.) I've got about a pint of Slumbering Monk left - I wonder if I can stretch it out a bit by pouring it into one of those glasses that ladies use (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31300-should-have-went-to-specsaver&p=108016#post108016)?

Thuck Phat
20-04-2020, 10:33
Just finished my second (and unfortunately last) four pint container of Joules Pale Ale 4.1%. It's the last because they reckoned they would probably sell out today and there are no plans to get any more in. (Just using up what was in the cellar when the pub closed on 20 March.) I've got about a pint of Slumbering Monk left - I wonder if I can stretch it out a bit by pouring it into one of those glasses that ladies use (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31300-should-have-went-to-specsaver&p=108016#post108016)?

I'm afraid the large, white, porcelain unit in the bathroom would be my receptacle of choice for Joules beer.

sheffield hatter
20-04-2020, 12:36
I'm afraid the large, white, porcelain unit in the bathroom would be my receptacle of choice for Joules beer.

Yeah, I've been doing that too, but I've used my intestines, liver and kidneys to process it first.

Mobyduck
20-04-2020, 19:09
This is undoubtedly the best beer so far since the dark days began.

Ladies glass optional.

Bucking Fastard
20-04-2020, 20:09

Ladies glass optional.

Just have to hope that's available at my local Tesco or Sainsbury's.

ETA
21-04-2020, 06:37
King Goblin at 6.5% - the local CoOp is really getting quite good at this.

Spinko
21-04-2020, 06:59

Ladies glass optional.

Am I the only one here who has sampled Smash and Grab... :)

Mobyduck
21-04-2020, 11:59
Not had it yet.

ETA
21-04-2020, 20:00
St Austell Proper Job, a staple around here. Half a case should do it for tonight.

Aqualung
21-04-2020, 21:20

I've not seen it.

ROBCamra
22-04-2020, 08:42
St Austell Proper Job, a staple around here. Half a case should do it for tonight.

Had a couple last night. It claims it's bottle conditioned, but there's no evidence of any sediment in the bottle.

Wittenden
24-04-2020, 18:58
At Wittenden's Retreat-The Three Legs Session IPA. Order placed at 1042, delivered to our non contact loading dock by 3.15 the same day, by one of the Legs if I'm not mistaken. A delicious murky fruity delight.

london calling
24-04-2020, 19:57
Had two Brewdog -elvis juice tonight good but not great 7/10 had better on keg in a pub
then three Brewdog -hazy jane far better 8./10 really liked this beer
them one Robinsons -old tom 8.5/10 how can a shit brewery like Robinsons produce one of my fav beers
first two beers in a pint stemmed tulip and the old Tom in a Belgian small chalice .
Getting better beers and cheaper beers now that the pubs have closed imo

rpadam
24-04-2020, 20:14
A Flintlock (or two) from my go-to 'lockdown' supplier (Musket Brewery (https://www.musketbrewery.co.uk/beers)), dispensed from a 5 litre mini-cask cooled in the 'evaporation fridge' out back, and my first beer since last weekend!

oldboots
24-04-2020, 20:16
Getting better beers and cheaper beers now that the pubs have closed imo

Certainly the quality lottery of cask ale isn't a factor in can or bottle, mini-kegs need to be kept cool and drunk quickly so that's a closer comparison.

Tonight's delights were Vocation Bread & Butter, Roosters Yankee and Roosters Baby Faced Assassin all served in a manly Roosters conical schooner (as God intended), sadly all in children's portions, which are only appropriate for BFA .

Mobyduck
24-04-2020, 21:37
Vocation Life & Death and Magic Rock Dark Arts tonight, good stuff.

Pangolin
25-04-2020, 08:40
Real ale hit the bar for the first time in a while last night, as local brewer Big Smoke have just added three cask brews to their home delivery range. Distant Lands is a modern style golden ale which slipped down incredibly easily and reminded me how much nicer draught is than bottle. Priced not unreasonably at £10 for 4 pints, and consumed in the late afternoon sun in the beer garden.

sheffield hatter
25-04-2020, 15:18
I had a couple of deliveries yesterday - two boxes each from Black Sheep and Williams Bros. It nearly killed me carting them upstairs - I live in an "upper maisonette", which means four flights of stairs from street level to my front door.

Last night I made a start from the beers from Alloa: First, their lager/IPA hybrid Caesar Augustus (https://shop.williamsbrosbrew.com/collections/beer/products/caesar-augustus-can), which was refreshing after the dusty afternoon I'd spent relaying a carpet. Next, a couple of draft beers that they've bottled (https://shop.williamsbrosbrew.com/products/draft-picks-hazy-pales?variant=32143820128336): Pail Ale (made in a bucket?) and Splitting Seeds, both modern IPAs with new world hops, so not at the centre of my beer preference spectrum, but not bad at all.

I may have a go at the Black Sheep tonight. Or now...

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 18:05
I've started big.After Moby's heads up ,I found some Vocation Life & Death 7.2% in my local Tesco.Exactly as it says on the tin,hazy peach & mango juicy citrus taste.Yum 9/10

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 18:45
Next one up Howling Hops House IPA 6.9%,from a delivery by the brewery.Another great ,juicy IPA 9/10

london calling
25-04-2020, 19:17
Only one different beer tonight and its
Meantime -London porter.6/10
Have found over the years that Meantime rarely produce the goods.

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 19:31
Only one different beer tonight and its
Meantime -London porter.6/10
Have found over the years that Meantime rarely produce the goods.

Were they any good before the SAB Miller/Anheuser Busch /Asahi Brewery ownership saga? My sons drinks in The Greenwich Union which I believe Meantime still own but says little about their beers.

Mobyduck
25-04-2020, 19:34
Three beers so far,
London Beer Factory Hazy Daze 7/10
Five Points JUPA 8/10
Magic Rock Saucery 7/10
2151 (with the backdrop of BF's Love & Hate)

sheffield hatter
25-04-2020, 19:37
So, it's Black Sheep night. But first beer out of the traps is York Yorkshire Terrier 4.2% - from Black Sheep. This is now brewed at Masham, of course, after Black Sheep acquired the stricken York Brewery (https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/news/the-black-sheep-brewery-acquires-york-brewery/) in 2018. It is a separate entity, though, and the Black Sheep website has some stuff about finding a site for the York Brewery back to where it once belonged (Get Back Jojo).

Next was Black Sheep Ale 4.4%, which is similar to Black Sheep Best Bitter. I think both of these beers suffer from too harsh a dose of carbon dioxide; or it may be that this style of beer hasn't got the flavour to override the CO2. Looking forward to the Riggwelter 5.7% next, and will round off the evening with the Imperial Russian Stout 8.5%.

london calling
25-04-2020, 19:39
Were they any good before the SAB Miller/Anheuser Busch /Asahi Brewery ownership saga? My sons drinks in The Greenwich Union which I believe Meantime still own but says little about their beers.

No imo.Their beers are always competently made but they just don't have the flavour.They have always done good styles of beer but never quite nail it. I have always felt they skimp on ingredients.

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2020, 19:49
And now for something completely different ... Howling Hops Lost in Control 8.2% .A collaberation with Pressure Drop ,a Double IPA with Idaho 7,Cryo Citra,Sabro and Galaxy hops.Deep bitterness but not extreme and lots going on tastewise.Colourful can too,9/10

oldboots
25-04-2020, 21:21
A very pleasant trip round some Yorkshire breweries, beers curtesy of Ilkley, Saltaire and Roosters, I also travelled north and enjoyed a drop from Durham Brewery.

sheffield hatter
25-04-2020, 22:36
Looking forward to the Riggwelter 5.7% next, and will round off the evening with the Imperial Russian Stout 8.5%.

... for which I can blame the loosening of my normal restraint and the consequent little rant I've had on the Random News thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3123-Random-news-of-the-day&p=108334#post108334). Please give it the consideration it deserves.

*ducks behind parapet to avoid incoming cowpats*

sheffield hatter
25-04-2020, 22:36
A very pleasant trip round some Yorkshire breweries, beers curtesy of Ilkley, Saltaire and Roosters, I also travelled north and enjoyed a drop from Durham Brewery.

Sounds good. No Brass Castle?

oldboots
26-04-2020, 08:04
Sounds good. No Brass Castle?

None of my suppliers have any or Bad Seed, I did get some Northern Monk the other day.

Real Ale Ray
01-05-2020, 19:08
The RAR bar is open, Vocation Bread & Butter and Heart & Soul slipping down nicely...:cheers:

Tris39
01-05-2020, 19:49
Currently it's break time in an online pub quiz courtesy of MyQuiz (https://myquiz.org/) and Zoom.

Not half bad either.

london calling
01-05-2020, 20:23
had
electric bear -drifting decent 7.5 /10 m&s
arbor -coffee and choc stout decent 7.5 m&s
magic rock/salt -ripe times good un 8.0 Tesco
northern monk -stars and stripes great peanut butter jelly porter 8.5 Tesco
Salt -ikat wow 9.5 best beer this year tesco

Tris39
01-05-2020, 20:57
The Lock Inn (https://www.greenekingbrewery.co.uk/the-lock-inn/) is open to all. At least you don't have to drink their beers...

Bucking Fastard
01-05-2020, 21:02
The Lock Inn (https://www.greenekingbrewery.co.uk/the-lock-inn/) is open to all. At least you don't have to drink their beers...

Thank goodness ................but do I really want to sign into Greene Kings facebook page ??

ETA
02-05-2020, 07:49
Had a shed load of King Goblin yesterday. I don't really know why.

Mobyduck
02-05-2020, 08:01
Had a shed load of King Goblin yesterday. I don't really know why.

Someone has to drink it !

Oggwyn Trench
02-05-2020, 09:22
Last couple of nights drinking

Hobgoblin IPA - Hoppy aroma , bland taste
Brew Foundation - Laughing Water , pleasant if unremarkable
Camden - Pale Ale , enjoyed this one
Thornbridge - Green Mountain - enjoyed this as well

For tonight

Harbour - Antipodian IPA
Vocation - Life and Death

oldboots
02-05-2020, 12:36
First drink for a few days last night,

Northern Monk - Eternal
Play Brew Co - Double dash (not keen)
Roosters - Yankee
Roosters - Baby Faced Assassin

This afternoon I shall make a start on a mini-keg of Rudgate Valkyrie.

Wittenden
02-05-2020, 14:15
Last night:

Reflection PA-Good Things
Session IPA-The Three Legs
Tonight-something similar.

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2020, 18:38
First up this evening Goose Island Midway Session IPA 4.1%.Indestinct with little hop action and some background malt ,this is not IMHO an IPA,sadly a term much misused by brewers.I wouldn't want to have a session on it either 5/10

Mobyduck
02-05-2020, 18:43
So far today
BrewDog Hazy Jane ( not overly keen on this one)
Magic Rock Highwire Grapefruit'

A little later I'm looking forward to some...
Magic Rock Dark Arts and
BrewDog/Evil Twin Roaster Coaster , one I'm now warming to.

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2020, 18:52
So far today
BrewDog Hazy Jane ( not overly keen on this one)
Magic Rock Highwire Grapefruit'

A little later I'm looking forward to some...
Magic Rock Dark Arts and
BrewDog/Evil Twin Roaster Coaster , one I'm now warming to.

My big finish is going to be the Roaster Coaster,spotted lurking on a bottom shelf at my local Tesco

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2020, 18:54
Next up is Roosters Baby- Faced Assassin,a proper IPA with some decent bitterness 9/10

oldboots
02-05-2020, 19:30
Next up is Roosters Baby- Faced Assassin,a proper IPA with some decent bitterness 9/10

Excellent choice, I have just had another 12 cans delivered along with with 24 of Twenty Four Seven since the Yankee had sold out :(

Bucking Fastard
02-05-2020, 19:37
Upping the ante now with Magic Rock Cannonball IPA 7.4% .Didn't read the label on the tin and got a bit of sediment but who cares,this is another winner with lots going on. 9/10

london calling
02-05-2020, 20:22
My big finish is going to be the Roaster Coaster,spotted lurking on a bottom shelf at my local Tesco

Could you check the tin.I have heard this is brewed by Brewdog in America and shipped here.

Mobyduck
02-05-2020, 20:31
Could you check the tin.I have heard this is brewed by Brewdog in America and shipped here.

Yes,it is.

london calling
02-05-2020, 20:35
Yes,it is.
Weird.Shipping them 3000 miles.

london calling
02-05-2020, 20:37
Had Thornbridge -Jamestown nice 7.5/10
same score for Vocation -life and death

Mobyduck
02-05-2020, 20:40
Weird.Shipping them 3000 miles.