PDA

View Full Version : Charlestown, Cornwall

gillhalfpint
18-07-2010, 21:29
Going to Charlestown near St Austell tomorrow, and have checked the pubs there, and only 1 has a review although all have photos.

Anyone been recently to give an idea of the best one(s) as due to buses I may be limited for time.

Farway
19-07-2010, 14:20
The one I used & reviewed in [in May] was the The Rashleigh Arms which as I stated has loads of awards, however I was not too impressed

.By the time you read this it will no doubt be too late anyway, would love to know how you fared

PS, the reason I never reviewed the other 2 pubs was, unlike you, I was driving and had to navigate back to Lostwithiel

I suspect all 3 pubs + the bistro are Grockle traps anyway, but, as with the Jamaica Inn, sell a good pint

gillhalfpint
19-07-2010, 22:26
Tried 3 of the pubs and will do reviews shortly. Had 2 St Austell beers in the Rashleigh, Honey Monster and Proper Job. The Honey Monster was better than the one I had at the St Austell stand at the Plymouth beer festival on Friday.

At Harbourside had Shep Neame Spitfire which did not impress me at all, and the Sharps Special which was not much better. The garden area for that one is shared with the Pier House Hotel and the Sharps Special was much better there. Also had Skinners Cornish Knocker in good condition.

We ate there and I had Bubble and Squeak with chopped bacon in it, and 2 well done eggs on top. Big plateful and Oh so tasty. Couldn't resist it despite £8+ cost.

Farway
20-07-2010, 14:45
Tried 3 of the pubs and will do reviews shortly.

We ate there and I had Bubble and Squeak with chopped bacon in it, and 2 well done eggs on top. Big plateful and Oh so tasty. Couldn't resist it despite £8+ cost.

As suspected, a Grockle trap, glad to enjoyed it though, somethings are just "worth it" at times, despite being a tad highly priced, bit like my Cornish pasty in the Jamaica Inn, just had to do it