PDA

View Full Version : Is the Coronavirus affecting pub trade?

Pages : [1] 2

Aqualung
05-03-2020, 21:57
I went to a couple of local boozers on Tuesday and got an impression they were less busy than normal. I got to the Rose & Crown at midday and it was empty, nothing unusual there for a weekday but it still seemed quiet when I left around 15:00. I got to the Bell soon after and that was almost empty although people did start to drift in. I hadn't noticed anything before this. The next test will be the E11 JDWs on Saturday.

ETA
05-03-2020, 22:09
Because so many people in our village aren't travelling to work, the pub has actually been busier. A dose of Woo Hoo Flu isn't going to get through a cider prophylaxis.

Aqualung
05-03-2020, 22:18
Because so many people in our village aren't travelling to work, the pub has actually been busier. A dose of Woo Hoo Flu isn't going to get through a cider prophylaxis.

Pf course they are right! No RWhitesvirus or any other germ is ever going to survive a surfeit of real cider!

Lady Grey
05-03-2020, 22:27
My partner and I have decided not to go into any pubs, whilst this virus is around. Yes I do think it will affect the pub trade. Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.

Aqualung
05-03-2020, 22:49
My partner and I have decided not to go into any pubs, whilst this virus is around. Yes I do think it will affect the pub trade. Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.

That's interesting and only time will tell if you're right as it seems to be something of an unknown quantity. I hope it all turns out to be much better than the "worst case scenario".

sheffield hatter
05-03-2020, 23:12
Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.

Maybe it's not about profit. Perhaps people who enjoy going to the races make a judgment about how much pleasure they'll get from going compared with the slight chance of getting really ill or possibly even dying as a result of going. As betting people, they'll be used to exercising those skills, no doubt.

RealAleRobUK
06-03-2020, 15:23
One of the arguments against holding football matches "behind closed doors" was that those people who would have previously attended the ground were then more likely to watch it in a pub, where there would be more people in closer proximity to each other and therefore increasing the risk. In theory it was decided it was safer to have those people attend the ground where people are more spread out.

Back on topic, Cloudwater released a blog post recently about their preparations and preventative measures:

https://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/2020/3/2/preparations-for-covid-19

This includes reducing capacity at their Manchester tap room by 10% and banning staff from touching their faces etc, as well as washing and sanitising their hands before serving every customer. Protective gloves are also to be worn when handling used glassware. They are also preparing to switch capacity from keg production to more canning, in the hope that customers will be happy to buy for home consumption if they are unwilling or unable to drink at a bar.

It could all blow over but it does seem that some places are taking the risk seriously.

As an aside, I wonder if there is an increased risk at pubs that use the AutoVac system for dispensing cask ales? I guess it depends how strict their hygiene is to begin with.

trainman
06-03-2020, 18:23
In theory it was decided it was safer to have those people attend the ground where people are more spread out.

Wow, well I wouldn't want to frequent pubs where the clientele is regularly more densely packed than at a match! (No quips about Emptihad please, at least we have the good grace to highlight it in our own song)...

Aqualung
06-03-2020, 18:58
Wow, well I wouldn't want to frequent pubs where the clientele is regularly more densely packed than at a match! (No quips about Emptihad please, at least we have the good grace to highlight it in our own song)...
I heard something about this on the news today and I think the point is that a sporting event is in a much less enclosed space than a pub. It seems to me that the biggest problem with it is the long incubation period that means someone who has got it can be passing it on without knowing.

RealAleRobUK
06-03-2020, 20:12

I replied, then went to edit it and I seem to have deleted it in error!

Sports pubs and bars do seem to get pretty rammed at the best of times, so if you then try and squeeze a stadium's worth of people into these venues in addition to the crowd that would already be in there, I can see it could be a problem.

Though your point is perfectly valid, and I wouldn't want to be in somewhere that crowded even without Coronavirus on the scene!

london calling
06-03-2020, 20:57
My wife is unhappy about me going into London on the tube.Went last Monday but she has ranted on about it this week and wants me to drink local until its gone.She is worried about me infecting her rather than about me catching it. Too early yet to notice the corona effect but in general the cental London pubs are a lot quieter than they have been in the past.

NickDavies
07-03-2020, 09:45
My wife is unhappy about me going into London on the tube.

What I don't quite understand is that those returning from China or Italy must have used planes and trains and often the tube and been in close contact with hundreds on their journeys, yet the number of cases remains tiny. I would suggest you need to be in close contact for some time to catch the illness, for example, be on a cruise ship with a recirculating a/c system to have a high risk of catching it.

Of course I could easily be proved wrong.

Tris39
07-03-2020, 19:21
What I don't quite understand is that those returning from China or Italy must have used planes and trains and often the tube and been in close contact with hundreds on their journeys, yet the number of cases remains tiny. I would suggest you need to be in close contact for some time to catch the illness, for example, be on a cruise ship with a recirculating a/c system to have a high risk of catching it.

Of course I could easily be proved wrong.

My locals were doing a roaring trade yesterday - perhaps people are drinking more to drown their sorrows in the expectation of imminent death. If this virus is so contagious or deadly, why do we only have 200 cases (though rising) with just two deaths, both people who were very elderly and/or with underlying health problems? I just hope Simon Jenkins (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other) is right! :eek:

Spinko
08-03-2020, 06:44
I only had one pint in my favourite Stockton pub last Friday as the barman had a bad cough. Usually I have three. But I did stay local this weekend with a trip to the Dubliners.

ROBCamra
08-03-2020, 09:01
There were more people in The Regal Moon (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55906/) last night than the total number in the UK who have contracted the virus.

It was hammered, we left without a drink as it was 3 deep at the bar.

Hardy bunch us Northerners.:p

Aqualung
08-03-2020, 23:54
The two E11 JDWs seemed fairly normal on Saturday afternoon. There wasn't much local football so they weren't busy but not really slack.

Mobyduck
09-03-2020, 19:12
?

NickDavies
09-03-2020, 20:15
?

I wondered what the dog biscuits are doing there too.

Mobyduck
09-03-2020, 20:19
I wondered what the dog biscuits are doing there too.

Not sure if dogs can catch it.

Tris39
10-03-2020, 08:17
Not sure if dogs can catch it.

They can't pass it on, but they can catch it. (https://wsbt.com/news/health/dogs-cats-cant-pass-on-coronavirus-but-can-catch-it-from-their-owners-03-05-2020) I wouldn't be surprised if the jar of doggie treats weren't a breeding ground for all sorts of nastiness - I wouldn't want to put my fingers in there!

Best to get the pub landlord to turn the heating up too! (https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415)

Aqualung
10-03-2020, 15:58
I heard on the news yesterday that several people in Iran had drunk themselves to death under the misapprehension that being completely trolleyed would keep it at bay.

Tris39
10-03-2020, 16:16
I heard on the news yesterday that several people in Iran had drunk themselves to death under the misapprehension that being completely trolleyed would keep it at bay.

And it would seem that they were right!

Mobyduck
10-03-2020, 18:48

Don't drink fake alcohol!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51811969?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e6771d28d956f0669ae3fdc%26Iranians%20 die%20of%20alcohol%20poisoning%20after%20virus%20r umour%262020-03-10T11%3A00%3A27.799Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:597374ea-df57-46c8-a478-5623092780da&pinned_post_asset_id=5e6771d28d956f0669ae3fdc&pinned_post_type=share

Aqualung
10-03-2020, 19:25
Don't drink fake alcohol!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51811969?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e6771d28d956f0669ae3fdc%26Iranians%20 die%20of%20alcohol%20poisoning%20after%20virus%20r umour%262020-03-10T11%3A00%3A27.799Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:597374ea-df57-46c8-a478-5623092780da&pinned_post_asset_id=5e6771d28d956f0669ae3fdc&pinned_post_type=share

My favourite cold remedy is boiling water in a mug with lemon juice and honey mixed in then topped up with rum. It works until you start sobering up!

Tris39
11-03-2020, 18:38
My favourite cold remedy is boiling water in a mug with lemon juice and honey mixed in then topped up with rum. It works until you start sobering up!

I've bought Benylin, Strepsils, multi-vitamins, Ibuprofen and one of those in-ear devices for taking your temperature. I've also got some Vick's VapoRub, which I haven't smelled since the '70s. I wanted to get some Friars' Balsam but it appears that it has been discontinued. I also wanted to get two of those Vick's things that you stick up yer nose - one in each nostril should keep the virus out!

NickDavies
11-03-2020, 19:24
I've also got some Vick's VapoRub, which I haven't smelled since the '70s. I wanted to get some Friars' Balsam but it appears that it has been discontinued.

You have now reminded me of the "Do you know Vic Burns?" joke, which I haven't heard since the 70s.

Tris39
11-03-2020, 19:51
You have now reminded me of the "Do you know Vic Burns?" joke, which I haven't heard since the 70s.

...and reminds me of Malcolm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrr0OBcsEeM) from that time, much parodied by comedy sketches in the '70s.

Lady Grey
11-03-2020, 23:09
The World Health Organisation have declared the Corona virus a pandemic. And still people are flocking to Cheltenham for the festival! The up side is that the pub trade will have done very well this week!!!

Pangolin
12-03-2020, 08:27
Mabel's (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/21994/) yesterday had a canister of 70% alcohol hand sanitiser on the bar with an invitation for customers to help themselves. Whether this was to wash their hands or to add some bite to the beer was not clear!

The level of trade certainly seemed up to normal however.

oldboots
12-03-2020, 09:40
... And still people are flocking to Cheltenham for the festival! ...

Well as Sheffield Hatter said they're betting people and a 995 out of 1000 chance of surviving if you get it, looks like very good odds to me.

hondo
12-03-2020, 13:28
The World Health Organisation have declared the Corona virus a pandemic. And still people are flocking to Cheltenham for the festival! The up side is that the pub trade will have done very well this week!!!

I was at the Scotland v France rugby last Sunday then travelled down to Cheltenham hoping alcohol kills all germs

Lady Grey
12-03-2020, 14:02
I was at the Scotland v France rugby last Sunday then travelled down to Cheltenham hoping alcohol kills all germs
At least you reviewed the new micro pub in Cheltenham:)

hondo
12-03-2020, 14:21
At least you reviewed the new micro pub in Cheltenham:)
Heading back there tonight think they were still working on it up to Monday could still smell the paint

Lady Grey
12-03-2020, 16:14
Heading back there tonight think they were still working on it up to Monday could still smell the paint
Was it any good?

london calling
12-03-2020, 20:33
Certainly affecting Camra fests.Yeovil and Macclesfield have cancelled and I have heard Reading are worried as they have already paid out money.Quinno might confirm or deny that rumour.

rpadam
12-03-2020, 20:42
Certainly affecting Camra fests.Yeovil and Macclesfield have cancelled and I have heard Reading are worried as they have already paid out money.Quinno might confirm or deny that rumour.
I wouldn't currently put much money on the AGM / Members Weekend in York at the start of April actually happening either (which is a worry with travel and accommodation already booked...).

hondo
13-03-2020, 06:01
Was it any good?

Yes it was a good escape from the Guinness/carling swilling mobs

Lady Grey
13-03-2020, 08:05
Yes it was a good escape from the Guinness/carling swilling mobs
Excellent.

Delboy20
13-03-2020, 19:27
There is no doubt that the pub trade will be seriously affected. All sport being cancelled will have a massive impact on loads of pubs. Many sports bars rely almost completely on people watching matches in them and some pubs near grounds would not survive without supporters.
I was looking forward to a good day out tomorrow for the Chelsea match but I will now "self isolate" and drink a few at home! On the plus side we won't lose tomorrow !!

NickDavies
13-03-2020, 20:47
There is no doubt that the pub trade will be seriously affected.

A question. What would you do if you were Tim Martin? A big chunk of your core clientele is ++old +++hypertensive* +diabetic ++overweight +++god know what else. Their risk of dying from the illness is high.

Do you shut all your pubs to increase your chances of keeping them all alive until it all blows over? Or keep your pubs open even if some of your punters fall by the wayside?

* though mainly through reading the Daily Mail too much rather than being piss artists.

Delboy20
13-03-2020, 22:21
Good question. Some countries around Europe have imposed a ban on outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people and indoor gatherings of more than 100. I would guess that most Spoon's have more than 100 people in during an average day so they would have to close or limit numbers.

Al Bundy
14-03-2020, 14:52
The Pen Factory, Liverpool has notices announcing that they will "not be accepting cash payments until further notice to minimise cross contamination." Though they took my money today.

Quinno
14-03-2020, 15:18

At the time of writing, RBF is still going ahead. However matters may be taken out of the organisers hands by central government / the CMO.

Money should be fine as I understand the insurance covers us now it's a notifiable disease. However CAMRA HQ, which still heavily relies on beer festival surpluses, will be worried.

Tris39
14-03-2020, 18:23
I tend to avoid my local (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24863/) from mid-week on as it gets progressively packed, but was summoned there yesterday by a friend on the basis that given current events, it would be fairly quiet. Wrong - absolutely rammed to the point that we didn't even try to get in, full with 25s-35s, the age group that's the least vulnerable.

Spinko
15-03-2020, 05:44
The Craft House in Lytham was packed from mid afternoon yesterday. (Novello restaurant next door was quiet though)

rpadam
15-03-2020, 07:29
I was out and about in the Shrewsbury and Coseley areas during the early part of the week, and the community pubs out in the housing areas seemed to be doing good business for Monday and Tuesday evenings, whereas those in the town centres were much quieter (or closed completely, and not always on a planned basis if their advertised hours are to be believed).

arthurchappell
15-03-2020, 16:12
How can you ban someone from touching their own face? I appreciate we should discourage it and have a wash if contact is made, but an itchy nose, something in your eye, even coughing into hand or sleeve - is going to need face contact - short of tying hands behind backs it can't be stopped - does anyone just walk round brushing, stroking or poking their own face all day?

Tris39
15-03-2020, 18:07
The Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23595/)
The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23601/)
Pig & Butcher (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54340/)

All visited last night and all packed. On the way home, taking the long and arduous trek that is Pentonville Road and Euston Road around half midnight, I saw an old Routemaster bus that had been converted into a mobile nightclub with flashing lights and pounding music enjoyed by a young group, packing it full with faces only inches apart. It's the youngest who are the least likely to catch anything, yet they are still carriers!

NickDavies
15-03-2020, 18:09
How can you ban someone from touching their own face? I appreciate we should discourage it and have a wash if contact is made, but an itchy nose, something in your eye, even coughing into hand or sleeve - is going to need face contact - short of tying hands behind backs it can't be stopped - does anyone just walk round brushing, stroking or poking their own face all day?

If your hands are clean there's no problem touching your face. If you've been handling something potentially infected, like the pint glass the barman just gave you, it's best not to .

Tris39
15-03-2020, 18:13
If your hands are clean there's no problem touching your face. If you've been handling something potentially infected, like the pint glass the barman just gave you, it's best not to .

Yesterday on the tube (on the way to the above, no less) I watched as a young women with two friends, swung like a monkey from the roof-mounted handrail in the carriage - it must have been touched by hundreds of hands. She then sat down, pulled out a jumbo-sized bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, broke off chunks and then stuffed then into her and her friends' mouths!

NickDavies
15-03-2020, 18:16
All visited last night and all packed. On the way home, taking the long and arduous trek that is Pentonville Road and Euston Road around half midnight, I saw an old Routemaster bus that had been converted into a mobile nightclub with flashing lights and pounding music enjoyed by a young group, packing it full with faces only inches apart. It's the youngest who are the least likely to catch anything, yet they are still carriers!

Ireland is closing all its pubs from today. It will happen here soon.

Tris39
15-03-2020, 18:28

Fine by me, just so long as it's a lock-in!;)

NickDavies
15-03-2020, 18:47
Fine by me, just so long as it's a lock-in!;)

If/when they do shut the pubs we'll see who's still contributing reviews three weeks in.

rpadam
15-03-2020, 18:52
If/when they do shut the pubs we'll see who's still contributing reviews three weeks in.
They are shutting all the pubs in Ireland (Republic thereof) tonight. Ireland!

NickDavies
15-03-2020, 19:07
They are shutting all the pubs in Ireland (Republic thereof) tonight. Ireland!

In rural Ireland (and increasingly here) pubs often double as the village shop. You do wonder if those popping in for a pint of milk and a loaf may well stop for a "chat" with the guvnor. And forget they went for a pint of milk and a loaf.

rpadam
15-03-2020, 19:14
In rural Ireland (and increasingly here) pubs often double as the village shop. You do wonder if those popping in for a pint of milk and a loaf may well stop for a "chat" with the guvnor. And forget they went for a pint of milk and a loaf.
Yes, but tomorrow onwards?

Real Ale Ray
16-03-2020, 06:43

It will spell the end for many pubs who are hanging on by a thread, especially rural pubs. And on the busiest day of the year, St Patrick's Day, a disaster...

Mobyduck
16-03-2020, 12:14
Barman just serving me now has just been told off for not sanitising his hands for long enough, second barman took over the pour.:eek:

Brainypool
16-03-2020, 17:13
Well the pubs as well as cafes, restaurants, theatres etc . and everyone working for them have just been truly thrown under the bus - reprehensible

Tris39
16-03-2020, 17:30
It will spell the end for many pubs who are hanging on by a thread, especially rural pubs. And on the busiest day of the year, St Patrick's Day, a disaster...

Yup. A vast number of pubs will simply never reopen. If off in search of a pub that's open - I can't give myself the virus.

rpadam
16-03-2020, 17:42
A vast number of pubs will simply never reopen.
Whilst the original comment related to Ireland, the same will now sadly apply to England, Wales and Scotland too...

Spinko
16-03-2020, 18:18
Take outs will prove massively popular if pubs can get a good system going for ordering and quick pick up.

AlanH
16-03-2020, 18:31
Well the pubs as well as cafes, restaurants, theatres etc . and everyone working for them have just been truly thrown under the bus - reprehensible

The pubs are an easy target. There will be as much chance getting the virus on crowded trains and buses where you can be very confined, as well as in shops and supermarkets (if they have any stock left!)

Tris39
16-03-2020, 18:46
A salutary lesson in the dire effects on celebrities of catching Covid-19, brought to you by The Daily Wail. (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/idris-elba-has-confirmed-he-has-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-but-says-he-feels-ok/ar-BB11gZSa?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=DELLDHP)

oldboots
16-03-2020, 18:49
Disastrous news (pubs closing not this Idris Elba fellow, some sort of actor chap?), I will be doing my best to put money into the tills of pubs until the government closes them, two trips planned this week, to Redcar and Kendal hopefully the pubs will still be open.

Anyone would think it's the bubonic plague not a sharp dose of the flu.

Tris39
16-03-2020, 18:56

My sentiments exactly. I had something nasty over Christmas (24th-28th December) so only had about four glasses of water on the 25th by way of Christmas lunch - I've been asked if this was perhaps a very early bout of Corona (not the Mexican beer, which is worse) though of course I couldn't know. Either way, for about the last five days I've had a slightly dry cough and barely sore throat and slight snuffles; not sure if I should get tested.

sheffield hatter
16-03-2020, 20:46
Disastrous news: pubs closing ... two trips planned this week, to Redcar and Kendal hopefully the pubs will still be open.

Good ,luck with those!

I should have been going to football in Swansea on Wednesday, trains booked weeks ago and tickets can't be refunded. So I'm going to Cardiff and hoping to photograph some (so far unphotographed) pubs while there's enough light, then a few beers if there are any open.

At the weekend I was supposed to be in Leeds: Rhinos on Friday and Hatters on Saturday. Not sure what to do instead, have to wait and see if pubs have been forced to close or not.

Going to the Lake District Sunday - surely they won't try to close the youth hostels? ("Youth" indeed: plenty of over 70s with "underlying health issues" in my experience. It's all that fresh air, you see.) And will the trains still be running? If the Black Bull in Coniston (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56193/) is open I shall have to see about drinking my way along the bar: 11 hand pumps last time I reviewed it. (Is it really eight years ago?)

sheffield hatter
16-03-2020, 20:54

Yeah, in 1665 the pubs stayed open until all the customers were dead. And as for the Premier League...

AlanH
17-03-2020, 05:38
The pubs are an easy target. There will be as much chance getting the virus on crowded trains and buses where you can be very confined, as well as in shops and supermarkets (if they have any stock left!)

Two of my GBG locals in Llangollen have decided to close on "government advice" with the owners saying there was no other choice!

Lady Grey
17-03-2020, 08:09
I have been thinking about this problem, and have come up with an idea. It is probably unworkable and I might be living in cloud cuckoo land , but never mind. Would it be possible to either give a donation like the cost of drinks and a meal, to the pub of your choice instead of visiting the pub. Or could someone set up a fund or something, to help our pubs to stay in business?

oldboots
17-03-2020, 08:20
I have been thinking about this problem, and have come up with an idea. It is probably unworkable and I might be living in cloud cuckoo land , but never mind. Would it be possible to either give a donation like the cost of drinks and a meal, to the pub of your choice instead of visiting the pub. Or could someone set up a fund or something, to help our pubs to stay in business?

It has been suggested on social media by a few people to either set up a fund or buy "gift vouchers" now for future redemption.

Personally I will be out later stocking up on bottles and cans, possibly even looking for some home brew ingredients, I will then be visiting a few pubs.

Lady Grey
17-03-2020, 08:45
It has been suggested on social media by a few people to either set up a fund or buy "gift vouchers" now for future redemption.

Personally I will be out later stocking up on bottles and cans, possibly even looking for some home brew ingredients, I will then be visiting a few pubs.
The reason why my partner and I have had to curtail our pub visits, is because, he is on lots of meds for "underlying health issues." I hope if and when we all come out the other side, we will be able to resume our beloved visits to the pub.

sheffield hatter
17-03-2020, 10:42
The reason why my partner and I have had to curtail our pub visits, is because, he is on lots of meds for "underlying health issues." I hope if and when we all come out the other side, we will be able to resume our beloved visits to the pub.

Best wishes to both of you.

ETA
17-03-2020, 10:54
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/food-drink/coronavirus-uk-wetherspoon-boss-warns-over-pubs-lockdown/17/03/?fbclid=IwAR35NANGRDmWc5LeUTijVcUEI8nWfXSYSfpSm___ Gf5ie2tR3XA59HtMW50

Uncle Tim's view.

sheffield hatter
17-03-2020, 11:22

I had an email this morning from one of Sheffield's new pubs, Two Thirds Beer Co. They are encouraging people to come in for a carry out, and introducing an online (or phone) ordering and delivery service. Read their message on Twitter @twothirdsbeerco.

oldboots
17-03-2020, 11:45
I had an email this morning from one of Sheffield's new pubs, Two Thirds Beer Co. They are encouraging people to come in for a carry out, and introducing an online (or phone) ordering and delivery service. Read their message on Twitter @twothirdsbeerco.

I've heard of two in my area who are planning to set up Take away/Home delivery service. I'm just back from the offy with a dozen mixed bottles, Beer Hawk order going in later then off to the pub while I still can.

Lady Grey
17-03-2020, 12:08
Best wishes to both of you.
Thank you.

Wittenden
17-03-2020, 13:49
Take away/Home delivery service. Beer Hawk order going in later .

Take away would be good, and could work. Has anyone experience of on line beer distributors/websites? I had thought of ordering direct from the brewery,but the small firms I would like to support either don't can/bottle or don't have much of a site.Also,our internet connection is glacially slow.

oldboots
17-03-2020, 14:17
Take away would be good, and could work. Has anyone experience of on line beer distributors/websites? I had thought of ordering direct from the brewery,but the small firms I would like to support either don't can/bottle or don't have much of a site.Also,our internet connection is glacially slow.

I've used Beer Hawk since before it was taken over and find the choice and service usually excellent.

Here's a list of breweries with on-line shops that I know about, I'm sure there are others.

https://wearebad.co/product-category/all-products/beer/core-beers/

https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/product-category/beer/

https://www.roosters.co.uk/shop

https://www.theakstons.co.uk/shop/

https://brasscastle.co.uk/craft-beer-shop/

https://durhambrewery.com/shop/

https://www.hopback.co.uk/our-shop/our-regular-beers/

https://www.rudgatebrewery.co.uk/shop/

https://www.timothytaylorshop.co.uk/beer/

https://brewyork.co.uk/brew-york-shop-buy-craft-beer-online/

NickDavies
17-03-2020, 14:49
I'm sure there are others.

]

If you fancy draught

https://shop.harveys.org.uk/products/sussex_best_bitter?variant=17569025851465

A fiver a litre so no bargain

sheffield hatter
17-03-2020, 15:27
If you fancy draught

https://shop.harveys.org.uk/products/sussex_best_bitter?variant=17569025851465

A fiver a litre so no bargain

One pint = 568 ml, so a litre is 1.76 pints. £5 for 1.76 pints = £2.84/pint

(The courier charge of £7.95 bumps it up a bit. Makes it more like £3.23/pint, unless you buy lots.)

oldboots
17-03-2020, 15:30
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/food-drink/coronavirus-uk-wetherspoon-boss-warns-over-pubs-lockdown/17/03/?fbclid=IwAR35NANGRDmWc5LeUTijVcUEI8nWfXSYSfpSm___ Gf5ie2tR3XA59HtMW50

Uncle Tim's view.
Just read a paper version of the press release in my local spoons (copies on the counter and tables), classic Timbo, love the “perfidious Emmanuel Macron” bit.

rpadam
17-03-2020, 16:47
I have just had to submit the first two (hopefully temporary) closures due to coronavirus outbreak that I have become aware of...

rpadam
17-03-2020, 17:00
Just released by Camra:

The Campaign for Real Ale, which runs over 180 local beer festivals across the country, has cancelled all events – including local beer festivals – planned between now and the end of June following recent government advice on mass gathering.

All physical events, festivals and meetings, from branch to national levels, have been cancelled for an initial three-month period, with further cancellations to be considered regularly as the situation evolves.

Nik Antona, CAMRA National Chairman said: “While we understand the important social benefits of CAMRA and the huge pleasure in pub going, we feel it would be highly irresponsible to continue to promote gatherings of people in pubs – both of which have been advised against by the Government. We will, of course, be looking into what campaigning measure we can take to help support the British beer and pub industry during this unsettling time – and would repeat our calls for the Government to put together a support package to support the pub and brewery trade during this period.”

Notable events that have been cancelled include the inaugural Great Welsh Beer Festival, which was to make its debut in Cardiff from 22-25 April, as well as the Members’ Weekend, Conference and AGM due to take place in York from 3-5 April.

CAMRA’s flagship festival, the Great British Beer Festival, is currently under review as it is due to take place at Olympia, London from 4-8 August.

Nik Antona said: “It is with a heavy heart that we have made the decision to cancel a total of 45 beer festivals between now and the end of June. Every beer festival is run by a team of dedicated volunteers, and we deeply appreciate their hard work and support during this difficult time.

“While current Government advice is that all social gatherings should be avoided in the short term, we’d like to encourage all beer-lover and pub-goers to investigate ways to continue supporting the industry, whether that be ordering their brews online from independent retailers or supporting pub crowdfunding campaigns to keep afloat.”

More information on CAMRA events and activity will be provided as the situation unfolds.

oldboots
17-03-2020, 17:08
There’s an emergency memo to branches also, with a little more detail but not much. More a political reaction to the mass hysteria, as sadly is required these days.

london calling
17-03-2020, 19:56
One pint = 568 ml, so a litre is 1.76 pints. £5 for 1.76 pints = £2.84/pint

(The courier charge of £7.95 bumps it up a bit. Makes it more like £3.23/pint, unless you buy lots.)

Tesco have 5 litre kegs of Doombar £15

Pangolin
17-03-2020, 19:57
There are lots of micro and small breweries that have set up local deliveries, some for food also - check out your locals. Meanwhile Hog's Back have created a 'Drive through' at the brewery so you can order from your car without breaching quarantine.

Going back to the original question - the Palladium Spoons in Llandudno on a quick count had around 75% of drinkers obviously aged over 70 at 09.00 this morning, so some things don't change, even if numbers are down!

Mobyduck
17-03-2020, 20:27

They can keep it, something they haven't managed to do with their bog roll.

rpadam
17-03-2020, 22:03
I was pleased to see both village pubs still open this evening, along with our award-winning village club (visited for purely medicinal reasons, of course)...

ETA
18-03-2020, 12:22
Somerset CAMRA has now cancelled all its events for the Summer, including the Ale Trail. The latter was justified as 'we cannot actively put our members in harm's way'. Whatever happened to free will? And why deprive struggling pubs of the extra customers this would bring in?

Al Bundy
18-03-2020, 13:33
The Welkin (Wetherspoons) in Liverpool is currently accepting card only. They are also insisting that the entrance doors are open thereby making it feckin freezing in here.

Tris39
18-03-2020, 16:16

If they up the incentive to £20 then I might consider drinking it - might...

There’s an emergency memo to branches also, with a little more detail but not much. More a political reaction to the mass hysteria, as sadly is required these days.

Was in Elephant & Castle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22706/) last night - essentially full but not packed. A newly printed sign behind the bar informed customers that in accordance with government guidelines, the pub's hours would be restricted from 12.00 to 22.00 - first I've heard of this.:rolleyes:

sheffield hatter
18-03-2020, 18:59
Gardeners Rest (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43179/), a community pub, has reduced its hours to 5pm until 10pm, with last orders at 9.30. Decent crowd in there tonight (all keeping their distance, of course) and beer in great shape, but how much longer?

Mobyduck
18-03-2020, 19:15
The Alfred (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/), one of my two regular pub's is almost certainly closing down after tonight until whenever, the landlord is feeling a sense of social irresponsibility by staying open yet. I suspect feels he's letting his loyal regulars down, he's not happy with the lack of direction from the government on this, in my view they are passing the buck with there suggestions to avoid pubs. He plans to offer a takeaway service at the door.
It's all a bit of a bugger.

NickDavies
18-03-2020, 20:28
[URL="https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35750/"]THe plans to offer a takeaway service at the door.
It's all a bit of a bugger.

It would be helpful if the weather warmed up a bit. They could then at least allow outdoor drinking though that rather screws inner-city pubs. But I suspect London will be shut down by the weekend anyway

ROBCamra
19-03-2020, 14:42
All Ego restaurants and their associated pubs are now closed according to the email I've just received from them

ASK are doing the same. :(

The Pilcrow in Manchester, the start point for the PuG crawl has just announced they've closed for the time being.

oldboots
19-03-2020, 17:04
Only one local pub recorded so far as closing, lots doing carryouts and even home delivery. Rudgate wiil deliver a nine and handpump for £110 (HG & YO postcodes only). Local breweries are mostly offering delivery and even10% off on small pack. Most pubs staying open but may reduce hours. The local useless bus company are going to a Saturday only timetable for Monday-Saturday, no word from the railco’s yet.

Tris39
19-03-2020, 18:02
Is it wise to mark as closed pubs that are in 'hibernation'? If countless pubs are marked as closed, it will be a devil to sort through them to see which are reopen as and when. And what if all pubs are forcibly closed? Should we go through the entire database and mark all as closed or just shut down the website itself? Surely common sense should prevail...

ROBCamra
19-03-2020, 18:10
Is it wise to mark as closed pubs that are in 'hibernation'? If countless pubs are marked as closed, it will be a devil to sort through them to see which are reopen as and when. And what if all pubs are forcibly closed? Should we go through the entire database and mark all as closed or just shut down the website itself? Surely common sense should prevail...

Common sense is prevailing. Do you want to travel out to a pub and then find it's closed?

As long as they're marked as temporary closures and the explanation as to why it's only temporary in the reason box (which is what the guidelines say anyway).

Have a look at what I have done for The Pilcrow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84543/) and the others and do the same. I have the facility to get a list of these and reopen them when it becomes appropriate.

If it gets ridiculous then a rethink may be required.

If all pubs get closed I will then be able to catch up on my backlog of reviews. :cheers:

Tris39
19-03-2020, 18:25
Common sense is prevailing. Do you want to travel out to a pub and then find it's closed?

As long as they're marked as temporary closures and the explanation as to why it's only temporary in the reason box (which is what the guidelines say anyway).

Have a look at what I have done for The Pilcrow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84543/) and the others and do the same, then I have the facility to get a list of these and reopen them when it becomes appropriate.

If all pubs get closed I will then be able to catch up on my backlog of reviews. :cheers:

Fine as long as a list is kept - could be bloody long one though.:(

ROBCamra
19-03-2020, 18:40

The list currently stands at 50, only 7 of these are due to coronavirus so far.

I've been maintaining this list since 2015.

Originally when pubs got closed for a refurb, whoever marked them closed often forgets to reopen them or never visits the area again.

One of the joys of being an admin, you get to do all sorts of crap that no-one else wants to. :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
19-03-2020, 19:02
The Pilcrow in Manchester, the start point for the PuG crawl has just announced they've closed for the time being.
I did hear somewhere, possibly Twitter , a while ago now, that the Pilcrow was due to shut permanently, true or false news?

ROBCamra
19-03-2020, 19:06
I did hear somewhere, possibly Twitter , a while ago now, that the Pilcrow was due to shut permanently, true or false news?

True, the whole area is marked for redevelopment, not yet though..

Mobyduck
19-03-2020, 19:10
True, the whole area is marked for redevelopment, not yet though..

Lets hope they have time for a final hurrah .

ROBCamra
19-03-2020, 20:54
Please note.

I do NOT have a list of pubs closed as permanent using "other" as the reason even if it says temporary in the reason.

They have to be closed as "Being Refurbished" which gives a status of Temporary.

I've amended the ones that you did Richard, my fault for not explaining it well enough.:o

So to be clear. Choose "Pub is being refurnished" to give a status of Temporary and mention coronavirus in the text.

That will then get picked up by Dave's SQL :cheers:

rpadam
19-03-2020, 21:12
Choose "Pub is being refurnished" to give a status of Temporary and mention coronavirus in the text. :cheers:
Fair enough, and I think an early strong contender for 'euphemism of the year'!

london calling
19-03-2020, 21:32
I visited 4 local pubs last night as I think they will close all pubs pretty soon and they were a lot quieter than usual.Spreading my money around locally or spreading a virus around.Depends on your point of view.Two of them were card only and one had reduced the price of cask by 50p.Tough times ahead for the pub trade.

london calling
19-03-2020, 21:36

Suspend Pubs Galore and activate Pubs Minimalist. Just a thought.

ETA
20-03-2020, 05:14
Please note.

I do NOT have a list of pubs closed as permanent using "other" as the reason even if it says temporary in the reason.

They have to be closed as "Being Refurbished" which gives a status of Temporary.

I've amended the ones that you did Richard, my fault for not explaining it well enough.:o

So to be clear. Choose "Pub is being refurnished" to give a status of Temporary and mention coronavirus in the text.

That will then get picked up by Dave's SQL :cheers:

But they don't then show up on the pub map, which makes it difficult to know to revisit when in the area. How easy would it be to give those temporarily closed a different pin colour so they still come up on the map, as closed, for now, but we know to try them out at a later date?

Blackthorn
20-03-2020, 08:20
But they don't then show up on the pub map, which makes it difficult to know to revisit when in the area. How easy would it be to give those temporarily closed a different pin colour so they still come up on the map, as closed, for now, but we know to try them out at a later date?

I had thought that before, it would be very useful.

NickDavies
20-03-2020, 08:54
I had thought that before, it would be very useful.

Must admit I've always found the invisibility of closed pubs, temporary or not, an irritant, if not a life-threatening one.

Would a "show closed pubs" button be possible, so those who don't want to see them don't see them, as on the listings?

Aqualung
20-03-2020, 09:47
It seems incredible that I started this thread on a curious idle whim just two weeks ago.
I've had emails today saying that the E8 Pembury is only doing collections as of today and that rail services are being halved as of Monday.

hondo
20-03-2020, 11:37
Currently drinking in the Guildford Arms Edinburgh it’s eerily quiet,card payments only and half the usual taps on

ROBCamra
20-03-2020, 12:43
Currently drinking in the Guildford Arms Edinburgh it’s eerily quiet,card payments only and half the usual taps on

I've been in The Guildford dozens of times having lived in Auld Reekie and have never seen it quiet at any time of day or night.

hondo
20-03-2020, 13:20
I've been in The Guildford dozens of times having lived in Auld Reekie and have never seen it quiet at any time of day or night.

At the moment 11 customers 4 bar staff(not including manager) plus kitchen staff chef looks like he’s ready to jump from the balcony

Aqualung
20-03-2020, 14:27
At the moment 11 customers 4 bar staff(not including manager) plus kitchen staff chef looks like he’s ready to jump from the balcony

I went there mid afternoon on a weekday and while it wasn't quiet it wasn't what I would call busy. I imagine it's a lost cause in August.

bcfczuluarmy
20-03-2020, 15:07
Was out last night things are changing.
The Royal Oak (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/437/) winding down stocks Amstel done so had to have a Heineken for my last pint, was busy, but they aren't ordering anymore in and wine was BOGOF and they were doing Guinness take outs for £2 in a pint coffee cup with only one bar staff on and teaching the chef to pour pints and use the card machine. Likely to shut soon according to barman that we know.
The Anchor (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/647/) student night rammed 2 weeks ago about 20 in last night. Just given a student price pint and card only. Landlord says just waiting for Stonegate to say they need to shut.
The Drapers Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83494/) micropub takeout only according to my mate I was out with when he walked home passed it.

NickDavies
20-03-2020, 16:16
UK coronavirus live: Boris Johnson tells cafes, pubs and restaurants to close tonight

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/20/uk-coronavirus-live-confusion-over-key-workers-list-as-schools-close?page=with:block-5e74f87f8f08a08573fbe874#block-5e74f87f8f08a08573fbe874

rpadam
20-03-2020, 16:49
UK coronavirus live: Boris Johnson tells cafes, pubs and restaurants to close tonight
BBC News: UK pubs and restaurants told to shut in virus fight (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51981653).

rpadam
20-03-2020, 16:53
BBC News: UK pubs and restaurants told to shut in virus fight (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51981653).
Bearing this in mind, I suggest we stopping actioning any further (temporary) closure requests until we start to see what fails to reopen after the restrictions are lifted.

Tris39
20-03-2020, 17:20
Oh dear. I wonder how many will never reopen...:(

Lady Grey
20-03-2020, 17:22
I know someone has asked this already, but should contributors be closing pubs temporarily? At this rate, all of the pubs will need to be marked as closed!

oldboots
20-03-2020, 17:39
Just random thought, does HMG have legal authority to close pubs etc? Has the CV19 bill gone through Parliament yet and got Lizzie’s sign off?

Tris39
20-03-2020, 17:45
I know someone has already asked this already, but should contributors be closing puns temporarily? At this rate, all of the pubs will need to be marked as closed!

I think the general idea is to leave and then mark pubs as closed when they fail to reopen.

Just random thought, does HMG have legal authority to close pubs etc? Has the CV19 bill gone through Parliament yet and got Lizzie’s sign off?

I imagine so. The Government has all sorts of tools, probably under the Emergency Powers Act.

rpadam
20-03-2020, 17:45
I know someone has already asked this already, but should contributors be closing puns temporarily? At this rate, all of the pubs will need to be marked as closed!
Quite - see below: #120 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31082-Is-the-Coronavirus-affecting-pub-trade&p=106287&viewfull=1#post106287).

Lady Grey
20-03-2020, 17:48
Quite - see below: #120 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31082-Is-the-Coronavirus-affecting-pub-trade&p=106287&viewfull=1#post106287).

Thanks for that.

rpadam
20-03-2020, 17:48
Not yet: Coronavirus Bill 2019-21 (https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2019-21/coronavirus.html).

oldboots
20-03-2020, 18:03
Not yet: Coronavirus Bill 2019-21 (https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2019-21/coronavirus.html).

Thought not! Don’t panic! I guess the pubco lawyers will be all over this like a dose of, well spots rather than coughs and high temperatures

Aqualung
20-03-2020, 18:05

I can't answer that question but it did cross my mind earlier in the week. Assuming there has been no changes in the licencing laws, I assume that the police or army have no authority to enforce it. I got a mail from Premier Inn before the announcement saying that all their restaurants & bars would be closing so presumably they were told in advance.
A bistro at the top of my road has reopened this week after taking over the shop next door. It was empty today.

oldboots
20-03-2020, 18:12

Statutory Instruments or Orders in Council?

rpadam
20-03-2020, 18:20
Statutory Instruments or Orders in Council?
Almost certainly Orders in Council, and look who's Lord President of the Privy Council (https://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/) - that's a relief then!

oldboots
20-03-2020, 18:46
Almost certainly Orders in Council, and look who's Lord President of the Privy Council (https://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/) - that's a relief then!

Gross, however “how politics works”. So sadly any officer of the law won’t be personally liable for restraint of trade actions or similar consequences. Bullocks!

NickDavies
20-03-2020, 19:05
Well I wish I was a lawyer. I'm sure someone will indulge in juicy but ultimately doomed litigation, doubtless all the way to the Supreme Court. Plenty of money to be made.

If you do keep your pub open, they could easily shut you down on public health grounds. See how that runs in the papers if you go to court.

Alesonly
21-03-2020, 01:25
Now the gov have closed all Pubs & Clubs will this apply to private members bars/Clubs like the house of commons bar.? Or will they be exempt.

Brainypool
21-03-2020, 07:28
One pub (Yorkshire Taps in Lancaster) have already said they probably won’t be reopening after the virus.

rpadam
21-03-2020, 07:45
Now the gov have closed all Pubs & Clubs will this apply to private members bars/Clubs like the house of commons bar.? Or will they be exempt.
Clubs definitely aren't exempt - the restrictions apply to all "drinking establishments": Businesses and Other Venues subject to Further Distancing Measures (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874293/Guidance_for_businesses_-_gov.uk_guidance_-_FINAL.pdf).

Of course, enforcement is a different matter, at least until the Coronavirus Bill receives Royal Assent (Section 50 / Schedule 21, see: #127 below (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31082-Is-the-Coronavirus-affecting-pub-trade&p=106301&viewfull=1#post106301)).

oldboots
21-03-2020, 09:25

three guesses about the HoC :moremad:

ETA
21-03-2020, 12:49

Didn't the Americans try something like this just under a hundred years ago? That went well, I seem to recall.

NickDavies
21-03-2020, 15:27
Didn't the Americans try something like this just under a hundred years ago? That went well, I seem to recall.

That was a ban on alcohol, not pubs.

Aqualung
21-03-2020, 16:02

And it didn't go well!!
I wonder if there is a potential loophole. The village I recently visited in North Wales has three pubs all of which are connected to hotels. Given that hotels have not been closed down are residents excluded from the bar and / or dining room? I can see the old fashioned lock in returning in rural areas. Does anyone else remember the episode of Eastenders from way back where the pub involved in the plot was the Lock Inn?

bcfczuluarmy
21-03-2020, 21:16
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/england-cricketer-stuart-broad-converts-3968085 ingenuity/adaptation beginning.

ETA
21-03-2020, 22:24

I did say "like this", more for humorous impact than historical accuracy.

oldboots
22-03-2020, 12:10
Well I wish I was a lawyer. I'm sure someone will indulge in juicy but ultimately doomed litigation, doubtless all the way to the Supreme Court. Plenty of money to be made.

If you do keep your pub open, they could easily shut you down on public health grounds. See how that runs in the papers if you go to court.

The regulations came into force only at 2pm on Saturday 21st see here (https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Licensing-Flash----COVID-19-Licensing-Issues---Regulations-to-enforce-closure-of-premises.html?soid=1101506267400&aid=g8E5_LUACCc) In a nut shell it says:

" The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closure) (England) Regulations 2020, providing coronavirus closure powers have been published over the weekend and came into force immediately from 2pm on Saturday 21 March 2020.

The regulations were made under Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984.They provide a criminal sanction (unlimited fine) and enforcement powers to ensure the closure of bars, pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms, museums, spas, massage parlours, bingo, concert halls, casinos, betting shops, indoor skating rinks and swimming pools and leisure centres. Exclusions include food and drink take-aways, cafes in hospitals, schools, prisons, supplies to homeless, hotel room-service (see regs for full details).A person designated by Secretary of State may take such action as is necessary to enforce closure. (Await clarification of who is a designated person). "

rpadam
22-03-2020, 14:18
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closure) (England) Regulations 2020, providing coronavirus closure powers have been published over the weekend and came into force immediately from 2pm on Saturday 21 March 2020."
I can't see how these can be enforced at the moment since they haven't been approved by Parliament yet, but see here: The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closure) (England) Regulations 2020 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/327/pdfs/uksi_20200327_en.pdf).

oldboots
22-03-2020, 17:10
I can't see how these can be enforced at the moment since they haven't been approved by Parliament yet, but see here: The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Business Closure) (England) Regulations 2020 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/327/pdfs/uksi_20200327_en.pdf).

Er, it's a Statutory Instrument empowered under the "Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984" and as your link says in force from 2pm 21st March, no need for further parliamentry approval.

rpadam
22-03-2020, 17:22
Er, it's a Statutory Instrument empowered under the "Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984" and as your link says in force from 2pm 21st March. Save those bottles and cans mate, drink them later.
It also says at the top (although this may perhaps mean retrospective approval):

"Regulations made by the Secretary of State, laid before Parliament under section 45R of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 (c. 22), for approval by resolution of each House of Parliament within twenty-eight days beginning with the day on which the instrument is made, subject to extension for periods of dissolution, prorogation or adjournment for more than four days."

oldboots
22-03-2020, 17:27
It also says at the top (although this may perhaps mean retrospective approval):

"Regulations made by the Secretary of State, laid before Parliament under section 45R of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 (c. 22), for approval by resolution of each House of Parliament within twenty-eight days beginning with the day on which the instrument is made, subject to extension for periods of dissolution, prorogation or adjournment for more than four days."

Does that not just apply to the review every "month" as reported in the press? SI's don't normally need further approval by Parliament once the enabling legislation has been passed.

oldboots
22-03-2020, 17:36
Having re-read the SI the important clause would be:-

"In accordance with section 45R of that Act the Secretary of State is of the opinion that, by reason
of urgency, it is necessary to make this instrument without a draft having been laid before, and
approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament."

This is approved by the earlier clause:-

"The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by
sections 45C(1), (3)(c), (4)(d), 45F(2) and 45P of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act
1984(a)."

rpadam
22-03-2020, 19:23
Having re-read the SI the important clause would be:-

"In accordance with section 45R of that Act the Secretary of State is of the opinion that, by reason
of urgency, it is necessary to make this instrument without a draft having been laid before, and
approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament."

This is approved by the earlier clause:-

"The Secretary of State makes the following Regulations in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 45C(1), (3)(c), (4)(d), 45F(2) and 45P of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984(a)."
It hadn't read that far, but in that case it does have effect from "2.00 p.m. on 21st March 2020" (so long as it gets retrospective approval from both Houses of Parliament within 28 days). However, there is nothing else about this on the BBC News or other websites yet as far as I can see, so it looks like they are lining up for public announcement in the next few days (and from what Nicola Sturgeon was saying today, they may be waiting for Scotland to catch up).

oldboots
22-03-2020, 20:05
I think it will come under devolved matters for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the SI only applies to England. Scottish pubs and bars appear to have ...erm acted within the law and ignored politician's bluster while it is just bluster without legal force.

The BBC in particular has a blind spot about alcohol and usually just accepts any old press release, there was, as usual, no journalistic rigour as far as I could see when the edict was announced on Friday; much like a Papal Bull with the emphasis on Bull.

rpadam
22-03-2020, 20:58
I think it will come under devolved matters for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the SI only applies to England. Scottish pubs and bars appear to have ...erm acted within the law and ignored politician's bluster while it is just bluster without legal force.
BBC News today: Coronavirus: Defiant pubs face emergency laws (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51995357) in Scotland.

Wales is already in the same position as England: Rheoliadau Diogelu Iechyd (Coronafeirws, Cau Busnes) (Cymru) 2020 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/326/contents/made/welsh).

No Statutory Rules yet in Northern Ireland as far as I can see.

oldboots
23-03-2020, 09:39
BBC News today: Coronavirus: Defiant pubs face emergency laws (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51995357) in Scotland.

The accent may defeat some of youse yins:

https://twitter.com/JaneyGodley/status/1241792642033295360

ROBCamra
23-03-2020, 11:13
Why are people such a bunch of stupid dickheads?

Pictures from yesterday of Londoners flocking to a flower market.:muppet::muppet:

Bournemouth seafront absolutely packed.:muppet::muppet:

Queueing for fish and chips in Whitby.:muppet::muppet:

Clothes shops still open!:muppet:

Costa saying they're going to close, they were a f**king café anyway. :muppet:

We're all going to pay for it with a total lockdown thanks to these bankers.:moremad::moremad:

You really don't want that to happen, especially according to two couples who are good friends of ours who have been in lockdown in Lanzarote
in their apartments for 9 days now. It's hard, very hard.

A couple across the road from us both had their elderly parents round for Mother's Day yesterday, one can only walk with a stick.

The couple are both health professionals FFS. :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet:

Real Ale Ray
23-03-2020, 16:12

Pictures from yesterday of Londoners flocking to a flower market.:muppet::muppet:

We're all going to pay for it with a total lockdown thanks to these bankers.:moremad::moremad:

You really don't want that to happen, especially according to two couples who are good friends of ours who have been in lockdown in Lanzarote

A couple across the road from us both had their elderly parents round for Mother's Day yesterday, one can only walk with a stick.

The couple are both health professionals FFS. :muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet::muppet:

Well said Ian. Defies belief how stupid and selfish some of these idiots are

Lady Grey
23-03-2020, 16:49

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Aqualung
23-03-2020, 17:38

You can add to that list a record day for people visiting Snowdon. On the face of it that doesn't sound bad but you can bet that everyone crowded around the summit cairn despite the fact that most of them would probably have been there before. If they cane via Crib Goch there's not enough room to swing a cat on it.

Wittenden
23-03-2020, 17:46
As a matter of interest, for how long would an untapped cask of cask beer remain drinkable, in the event of a reopening sometime during the summer?

ROBCamra
23-03-2020, 17:51
As a matter of interest, for how long would an untapped cask of cask beer remain drinkable, in the event of a reopening sometime during the summer?

All casks have best before dates on them, like most things. I know there are a couple in a local pub cellar with 24/07/2020 on them.

oldboots
23-03-2020, 17:54

depends on the strength, how brewed and what it's stored in and where. Many years ago beer was brewed to be stored but nowadays it's for fast turnaround, Marstons beers are likely to go off in a relatively few days as they're fast track yeast, something like Sarah Hughes at 6% will probably last for many months if stored at low (cellar) temperature. Cask Marque's advice on shutting down a cellar is here: https://twitter.com/caskmarque/status/1241033676210741248/photo/1

Aqualung
23-03-2020, 18:43

The local Rose & Crown has been doing 10.5% Dark Star Imperial Stout at Xmas. The most recent one was from the previous year. Brodie's only ever did one batch of the 23% Elizabethan Ale. It appeared for years at the Easter Festival but never got any less sweet.
The lower the ABV the more chance of it going off and it would be best to follow the Best Before date.

Delboy20
23-03-2020, 21:14

Nice rant!!

And lockdown it is...

ETA
24-03-2020, 17:37
Break for Fuller Tenants (https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/coronavirus-fullers-cancels-rent-costs-21737336?fbclid=IwAR2bMIdatfYH72CleotJEIW94HEeSzO9 Db5I7abRe9mWXSC5XdGdslPiDqc)

Well done Fullers. And I don't often say that.

london calling
24-03-2020, 19:57
Break for Fuller Tenants (https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/coronavirus-fullers-cancels-rent-costs-21737336?fbclid=IwAR2bMIdatfYH72CleotJEIW94HEeSzO9 Db5I7abRe9mWXSC5XdGdslPiDqc)

Well done Fullers. And I don't often say that.
While Fullers gets a bit of critism on here for high prices now you can see the logic of never underselling your beer.You need to build up reserves of capital for any unseen problems.Well done indeed.Lets see how many other pub companies follow their lead.

Mobyduck
24-03-2020, 20:39
While Fullers gets a bit of critism on here for high prices now you can see the logic of never underselling your beer.You need to build up reserves of capital for any unseen problems.Well done indeed.Lets see how many other pub companies follow their lead.

Admiral did before them. https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-pl4UpRC9bmOgYqKVQrYPDs3lq9uI4gtoeIowG6ho1zjgY0VeO1 fdqZnEgljaPigKmMhGeHwcT_UQFHgYhMO2HQ/messages/@.id==AO1ijGZ9fi2yXnpBVwUggHT2OiI/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=3340c31f-4f81-b3ce-1c69-610003016a00&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBYAOsyR_xKLwPx4qsSLz3_w3JFwyRVoDIS Gruor7Et7YItJbAi51fqf85zwZulhZv7hBLnz2bZQufgc5_eQw IX-

bcfczuluarmy
24-03-2020, 23:09
Also wonder what impact it will have on CAMRA branch publications.

Aqualung
24-03-2020, 23:22
Also wonder what impact it will have on CAMRA branch publications.

Quite a lot I would think. From what I can make out most of them, if not all rely on only a few people and any news is likely to be bad. It will most likely be the end of paper pub guides and even the GBG must be under threat. It could even see the end of CANRA as we know it especially if the GBBF gets cancelled.

Lady Grey
25-03-2020, 14:17
Does anyone mind if I have a rant?
I think social distancing is unworkable at the moment. Under the current system, we are allowed daily exercise. My patner and I, have been cycling. I am amazed at how many people are wandering around, as if it were a Bank holiday. How are you supposed to stay safe, if other people are ignoring the rules? There are too many idiots about.

Al Bundy
25-03-2020, 14:27
Does anyone mind if I have a rant?
I think social distancing is unworkable at the moment. Under the current system, we are allowed daily exercise. My patner and I, have been cycling. I am amazed at how many people are wandering around, as if it were a Bank holiday. How are you supposed to stay safe, if other people are ignoring the rules? There are too many idiots about.

I was wandering around to the supermarket today and I was amazed how many people were cycling.

oldboots
25-03-2020, 14:41
... It could even see the end of CANRA as we know it especially if the GBBF gets cancelled.

It has just (15:00) been announced that GBBF is cancelled.

The branch magazines/newsletters are generally the work of a very few people and the larger team that deliver them to pubs, not much hope of that for a while. A lot will have the magazine ready for publication which will wait for when (if?) the pubs eventually reopen.

hondo
26-03-2020, 10:56
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2020/03/25/How-safe-are-pubs-during-lockdown

NickDavies
26-03-2020, 11:10
Just got my copy of Wots Bruin. About 90% of the content is now meaningless. It probably went to print a week or so ago but I do wonder why they bothered mailing it out.

oldboots
26-03-2020, 13:35
Just got my copy of Wots Bruin. About 90% of the content is now meaningless. It probably went to print a week or so ago but I do wonder why they bothered mailing it out.

Got mine too, there is one letter from another planet that made me splutter. :eek::eek: :mad: :moremad: :ninja:

RealAleRobUK
26-03-2020, 15:27
Probably won't be the last...

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-03-26/prohibition-notice-for-pub-breaching-coronavirus-restrictions-in-liverpool/

Aqualung
26-03-2020, 23:21
Got mine too, there is one letter from another planet that made me splutter. :eek::eek: :mad: :moremad: :ninja:
That's how I felt after reading the final part of the editorial. I'm not saying any more!!
I thought I would easily recognise the letter you mention but couldn't. Is it about cask prices, the head on a beer or something else?

Mobyduck
27-03-2020, 07:26
That's how I felt after reading the final part of the editorial. I'm not saying any more!!
I thought I would easily recognise the letter you mention but couldn't. Is it about cask prices, the head on a beer or something else?

I thought it was probably the guy who thought a 20% mark up on a cask of beer was adequate for someone running a pub in London.

oldboots
27-03-2020, 07:29
Is it about cask prices, ...?

Yes, the Essex one.

oldboots
27-03-2020, 07:37
I thought it was probably the guy who thought a 20% mark up on a cask of beer was adequate for someone running a pub in London.

A guy who appears totally innocent of how much running a business costs and not just in London. A pub running on a 20% "mark up" would probably close within weeks, certainly after the first energy bill, rent or business rates demand.

Mobyduck
27-03-2020, 07:51
A guy who appears totally innocent of how much running a business costs and not just in London. A pub running on a 20% "mark up" would probably close within weeks, certainly after the first energy bill, rent or business rates demand.

Cuckoo land springs to mind.

Mobyduck
27-03-2020, 09:08

In fact a first for me, I just sent a letter (email) in reply to WB, the fellas obviously a clown, though I didn't put it in those words.
I must be getting bored.

Aqualung
27-03-2020, 09:19
That's clearly wrong anywhere in the world, however he was making a valid point about the £4.90 price tag on Landlord. It's less than that in the local Bell where it's supposed to be a regular beer. Wetherspoons dropped Taylor's because they were charging so much more than other brewers. I was told way back in the 1970s by a Robinson tenant in Wales that they charged roughly three times what the beer costs.

NickDavies
27-03-2020, 09:37
the fellas obviously a clown,

There are many who think "keeping" a pub is some sort of hobby. In a way it was in times of old when it was the sort of thing retired army and police officers, having a pension to fall back on. Those days are, of course long gone.

The same sort of people express outrage when a tradesman charges them £100 for half a day's work - "my mate's girlfriend's cousin would do it for a couple of pints" - you know the sort of thing. They have no idea of the costs and complexities of running a business. Mind you, many who do try running a business haven't, hence the number which fail within months.

hondo
31-03-2020, 10:39
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2020/03/30/Can-pubs-claim-credit-for-unsold-beer

oldboots
31-03-2020, 11:14
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2020/03/30/Can-pubs-claim-credit-for-unsold-beer

I emailed my MP asking this question as soon as the pub closure was announced, still waiting for a reply from the Treasury. I also asked under what legislation this was done, I don't expect an answer to that as there wasn't any until 2pm the next day. As ex- Judge Jonathon Sumption said yesterday, there's too much acting on what Boris etc say at press conferences and not enough following the law at present.

Wittenden
31-03-2020, 12:39
I emailed my MP asking this question as soon as the pub closure was announced, still waiting for a reply from the Treasury. I also asked under what legislation this was done, I don't expect an answer to that as there wasn't any until 2pm the next day. As ex- Judge Jonathon Sumption said yesterday, there's too much acting on what Boris etc say at press conferences and not enough following the law at present.

The Government Guidance is on the Charles Faram's website.

hondo
31-03-2020, 13:10
Destroying spoilt beer during coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/destroying-spoilt-beer-during-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=2b92d9a1-b200-43bd-ab9f-dc1b2efd2cde&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate&fbclid=IwAR1RI1BCIOUwWcg1tyExI3D2jtSQXdI-lpHDnezp3HhQj3S31Ghmhn8kDp0

oldboots
31-03-2020, 13:24
Destroying spoilt beer during coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/destroying-spoilt-beer-during-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=2b92d9a1-b200-43bd-ab9f-dc1b2efd2cde&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate&fbclid=IwAR1RI1BCIOUwWcg1tyExI3D2jtSQXdI-lpHDnezp3HhQj3S31Ghmhn8kDp0

Begs a few questions, like what about beer bought through a wholesaler?

Ever get the feeling Government is making this up as they go along?

NickDavies
31-03-2020, 16:43
Begs a few questions, like what about beer bought through a wholesaler?

There's a thing called the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/alcohol-wholesaler-registration-scheme/awrs90200) - I would imagine they would have an Authorised Company Representative: read brewer as wholesaler too.

Yes of course they are making a lot of this up as they go along, I doubt there's been a lot of planning done on what happens if all the pubs are shut overnight for an indefinite period.

Mobyduck
05-04-2020, 12:32
If there is any bright side to the current situation, if it had happened 10 or even 5 years ago we would have been restricted to a few specialist online outlets or a supermarket diet of the likes of bottled Pride, Hobgoblin and Gloom Bar. The Old school may not agree (I'm getting old but didn't go to school much), thank God for Craft beer and tins.

Aqualung
05-04-2020, 14:39
If there is any bright side to the current situation, if it had happened 10 or even 5 years ago we would have been restricted to a few specialist online outlets or a supermarket diet of the likes of bottled Pride, Hobgoblin and Gloom Bar. The Old school may not agree (I'm getting old but didn't go to school much), thank God for Craft beer and tins.
I rarely get bottles now as cans are so much lighter. I noticed during the panic buying it was mostly boxes of dross that disappeared. Stuff worth drinking was in plentiful supply.

oldboots
05-04-2020, 18:01

Spot on, I've just finished another 5L mini-keg of Rudgate delivered straight from the brewery, this is cask beer in a can and as long as you get through it in short order the quality is good, not up to a pub but better than small pack beers. I supplement the mini-kegs with bottles and cans from a couple of specialists on-line and local breweries.

I rarely get bottles now as cans are so much lighter...

made from amazingly thin metal, I just step lightly onto an empty can with my size nines and it's flat ready for the recycling collection, takes up very little space which is good as we, as a family, are getting through a few cans at present. Sadly my son hasn't caught up with his beer ordering and keeps pinching mine :moremad:

Wittenden
05-04-2020, 21:31

I'm pretty old school, but have decided for the duration to generally order craft. My reasoning being that bottled cask isn't really as good as cask in a pub. I'm enjoying a case of 3 different tins from a new to me brewery-Good Things from over the other side of Tunbridge Wells. Initial impressions are favourable, and I'll repeat the process in due course, dependant on supplies.
In another thread,Old Boots cites the 5litre mini casks, which are goodish, but I'm the only beer drinker indoors now, and I wouldn't/shouldn't get through one without it spoiling in warmish weather.

Aqualung
05-04-2020, 22:17
I'm pretty old school, but have decided for the duration to generally order craft. My reasoning being that bottled cask isn't really as good as cask in a pub. I'm enjoying a case of 3 different tins from a new to me brewery-Good Things from over the other side of Tunbridge Wells. Initial impressions are favourable, and I'll repeat the process in due course, dependant on supplies.
In another thread,Old Boots cites the 5litre mini casks, which are goodish, but I'm the only beer drinker indoors now, and I wouldn't/shouldn't get through one without it spoiling in warmish weather.
It's great to see someone with old school preferences giving it a go but my favourite Kent brewery Kent is not old school. I'm someone who sits on the fence as I still like some old school stuff but also really enjoy a lot of so-called craft. I draw the line completely with Sours and to a lesser extent unfined cask.
As far as I'm concerned newer breweries have overtaken most of the few surviving independent brewers and a few CAMRA Stalinists are blocking that out. In case anyone didn't know R Protz was a very left wing journalist until he got involved with CAMRA.

bcfczuluarmy
05-04-2020, 22:31
made from amazingly thin metal, I just step lightly onto an empty can with my size nines and it's flat ready for the recycling collection, takes up very little space which is good as we, as a family, are getting through a few cans at present.

That's why I've got rid of my can crusher, my mate uses his hands I use my left Reebok from a height, can goes into denial. My friend described the below as brutal but it did take about 3 minutes. So I can see his point...

Mobyduck
05-04-2020, 22:38
It's great to see someone with old school preferences giving it a go but my favourite Kent brewery Kent is not old school. I'm someone who sits on the fence as I still like some old school stuff but also really enjoy a lot of so-called craft. I draw the line completely with Sours and to a lesser extent unfined cask.
As far as I'm concerned newer breweries have overtaken most of the few surviving independent brewers and a few CAMRA Stalinists are blocking that out. In case anyone didn't know R Protz was a very left wing journalist until he got involved with CAMRA.

Unfined cask doesn't trouble me at all , my favourite brewery of last year , Vibrant Forest do imo some fantastic stuff even if it does look like Orange juice, I am aware though that unfined beer does not agree with some people physically. Sours I wouldn't have gone near five years ago, but am now getting into some on occasion. In defence of Roger Protz, we're not mates or anything like that but I have been out drinking with him on a couple of occasions and he visits my local two or three times a year, he's a decent and interesting chap in my book, I know he champions old school beer but he is quite open to new stuff as well ,
as far as politics go I have no interest in them whatsoever in any walk of life let alone the beer world, which is why that although I'm a CAMRA member I don't get to involved at branch level.

Aqualung
05-04-2020, 23:48
Unfined cask doesn't trouble me at all , my favourite brewery of last year , Vibrant Forest do imo some fantastic stuff even if it does look like Orange juice, I am aware though that unfined beer does not agree with some people physically. Sours I wouldn't have gone near five years ago, but am now getting into some on occasion. In defence of Roger Protz, we're not mates or anything like that but I have been out drinking with him on a couple of occasions and he visits my local two or three times a year, he's a decent and interesting chap in my book, I know he champions old school beer but he is quite open to new stuff as well ,
as far as politics go I have no interest in them whatsoever in any walk of life let alone the beer world, which is why that although I'm a CAMRA member I don't get to involved at branch level.

The problem with unfined cask is that it can be used to mask poorly kept beer plus the fact that it looks bad. Re Protz and politics I was using the term Stalinist more in relation to being oblivious of change rather than his journalist past. ?he founder of micropubs claims that CAMRA have dome nothing to support them and I agree but there are CAMRA people that attend their beer festivals but claim not to like micropubs!

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 02:07
but there are CAMRA people that attend their beer festivals but claim not to like micropubs!
I would suggest such people are idiots.

Wittenden
06-04-2020, 13:05
favourite Kent brewery Kent is not old school. I draw the line completely with Sours and to a lesser extent unfined cask.

Funnily enough I haven't really thought of Kent as Craft.Most of their beers I've enjoyed, but I drew the line at ordering a French Kiss from the bearded barman the other month. I'm unwilling to invest in Sours, and am not that keen on fruit additions.I'll probably be drummed off this site, but I can't stand Titanic Plum Porter,or Kissingate Cherry MILD.
Don't know him, but Mr Protz is OK-he follows me on that Twitter.

oldboots
06-04-2020, 14:14

People in Camra idiots - surely not :eek::whistle:

With so many Camra members also posting here maybe we need a new lockdown thread "Camra - Good or Evil" ?

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 16:19
I use my left Reebok from a height, can goes into denial.

Nice one, Jon. Like it!

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 16:40

And your point is?

I assume you think you have set up the second sentence by calling the conservatives in Camra "Stalinists". Surely the revolutionaries or insurgents in the modern beer market are the new brewers, with their revolutionary beers and their hipster supporters. Possibly you could equate them with Trotskyists or Bolsheviks; but the "Stalinists" in this analogy, those Camra supporters of traditional brewers (who would equate with the kulaks or higher-income peasant farmers in the Russian system in the time of Stalin), are surely rooting for the wrong side. And where does a former left wing journalist fit in? Assuming he hasn't already been sent to a gulag...

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 16:42
I drew the line at ordering a French Kiss from the bearded barman the other month. I'm unwilling to invest in Sours, and am not that keen on fruit additions.I'll probably be drummed off this site, but I can't stand Titanic Plum Porter,or Kissingate Cherry MILD.

I'm with you on all of those. I can't see both of us being thrown out...

sheffield hatter
06-04-2020, 16:48
...there are CAMRA people that attend their beer festivals but claim not to like micropubs!

There are people buying apples in the market who claim not to like oranges!

...or perhaps they don't see the same qualities in both beer festivals and micropubs that you do?

Tris39
06-04-2020, 17:15
That's why I've got rid of my can crusher, my mate uses his hands I use my left Reebok from a height, can goes into denial.

Got to admire your can-do attitude!;)

I draw the line completely with Sours...

Yup!:cheers:

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 17:18
There are people buying apples in the market who claim not to like oranges!

...or perhaps they don't see the same qualities in both beer festivals and micropubs that you do?

At 03.07 this morning I couldn't be bothered to spell hypocrites , so idiots it is. That's if these people exist, not my words.:cool:

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 17:21
People in Camra idiots - surely not :eek::whistle:

Apparently so.

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 17:24
At 03.07 this morning I couldn't be bothered to spell hypocrites , so idiots it is. That's if these people exist, not my words.:cool:

It would be like me and other like minded people going to a Wetherspoons beer festival. :D

london calling
06-04-2020, 20:48
My beef with Protz ( cant deny he is very knowlegeable about beer)is he writes too many articles about the family brewers of Britain.We know everything there is to know about them and its boring.He still champions the boring bitter brigade rather than the new kids on the block.

london calling
06-04-2020, 20:55
I'm with you on all of those. I can't see both of us being thrown out...

Me too.

rpadam
06-04-2020, 20:56
Roger Protz: "He still champions the boring bitter brigade rather than the new kids on the block."
This is why I like his alternative point of view!

Aqualung
06-04-2020, 21:29
My beef with Protz ( cant deny he is very knowlegeable about beer)is he writes too many articles about the family brewers of Britain.We know everything there is to know about them and its boring.He still champions the boring bitter brigade rather than the new kids on the block.
I agree. Not all of the new breweries are what you might call "craft". Two near me, ELB & Redemption are almost entirely cask and generally old school. He is widening the schism between younger craft fans and the fossils that refuse to accept that there are much better beers around than those from most of the old independents. His blatant support for Bass should result in his removal as editor. You have to wonder if he's getting a bung from Mouldy Corpse.

NickDavies
06-04-2020, 22:04
His blatant support for Bass should result in his removal as editor.

He isn't editor of WB. Tim Hampson is.

Mobyduck
06-04-2020, 22:10
He isn't editor of WB. Tim Hampson is.

Another fella I've been on a pub crawl with.

Pangolin
06-04-2020, 22:36
I rarely get bottles now as cans are so much lighter. I noticed during the panic buying it was mostly boxes of dross that disappeared. Stuff worth drinking was in plentiful supply.

I wonder why this one wasn't in demand...2021

oldboots
07-04-2020, 07:58

Probably for the same reasons people are attacking 5G (or other radio) masts and all the other SFB activities over the last few weeks, my faith in human stupidity has been confirmed (again).

ROBCamra
07-04-2020, 15:05

Reduced to £7.99 for a case of 12 in our local Lidl 'cos people are stupid. Still didn't buy any though 'cos I'm not that dumb. (some may disagree).;)

Tris39
07-04-2020, 17:13
Probably for the same reasons people are attacking 5G (or other radio) masts and all the other SFB activities over the last few weeks, my faith in human stupidity has been confirmed (again).

Indeed. Apparently it's because they thought that it was broadcasting the virus, but maybe it's because it's seen as emblematic of China's Huawei.

sheffield hatter
07-04-2020, 18:29
... but maybe it's because it's seen as emblematic of China's Huawei.

I think your estimation of the subtlety and sophistication of these cretins is sadly misjudged.

Apparently it's because they thought that it was broadcasting the virus...

Now, that's more like it. An understandable confusion between the electomagnetic spectrum (physics) and viral epidemiology (biology).

oldboots
07-04-2020, 18:53
... An understandable confusion between the electomagnetic spectrum (physics) and viral epidemiology (biology).

The same type of people as the Pompey ones who attacked a paediatrician because it sounds a bit like paedophile

sheffield hatter
07-04-2020, 19:26
The same type of people as the Pompey ones who attacked a paediatrician because it sounds a bit like paedophile

Yeah, but you can be fairly sure that paediatrician fella was up to no good anyway, with a name like that.

london calling
09-04-2020, 22:29
Cooking Lager has a good post on his blog.Crude but gives a different take on pub ownership and rents.M aybe someone can do a link to it.

Mobyduck
10-04-2020, 06:01
Cooking Lager has a good post on his blog.Crude but gives a different take on pub ownership and rents.M aybe someone can do a link to it.

Its available via Blog Tracker (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31247-Cooking-Lager-Ein-Ph%C3%B6nix-aus-den-Flammen-Eine-Wiedergeburt-der-Kneipe-Part-2) on the Forum. Haven't read it yet, I'm still working and busier than ever but he's a lot cleverer than he makes out.

ETA
10-04-2020, 12:06
I think your estimation of the subtlety and sophistication of these cretins is sadly misjudged.

.... An understandable confusion between the electomagnetic spectrum (physics) and viral epidemiology (biology).

There's a bloke in our village known as Captain Scarlet, because he's definitely on the spectrum. His mate is called Slinky because everyone wants to push him down the stairs.

london calling
10-04-2020, 19:16
Its available via Blog Tracker (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31247-Cooking-Lager-Ein-Ph%C3%B6nix-aus-den-Flammen-Eine-Wiedergeburt-der-Kneipe-Part-2) on the Forum. Haven't read it yet, I'm still working and busier than ever but he's a lot cleverer than he makes out.

Yes many years ago when he first started blogging I was probably the first to out him as a guy doing a spoof blog and had a feeling he was an existing blogger who wanted to stir it up a bit.

Strongers
11-04-2020, 10:11
The governor at my local Harvey's pub has said that Harveys have put all of their tenants on a rent free period until the lockdown is over.

NickDavies
14-04-2020, 09:09
This pub's doing it right

"A BELFAST pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/46427/) is pulling out all the stops - and the pints - to keep spirits up for those living in lockdown with a door-to-door Guinness delivery service."

https://www.irishpost.com/news/belfast-pub-delivering-pints-freshly-poured-guinness-door-door-lockdown-183328

A heritage pub too, surprised nobody has reviewd it.

Aqualung
14-04-2020, 09:25

"A BELFAST pub (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/46427/) is pulling out all the stops - and the pints - to keep spirits up for those living in lockdown with a door-to-door Guinness delivery service."

https://www.irishpost.com/news/belfast-pub-delivering-pints-freshly-poured-guinness-door-door-lockdown-183328

No real ale according to What Pub.

rpadam
14-04-2020, 21:49

It's on my list!

NickDavies
15-04-2020, 16:10
...by drinking the stock..

"I am currently isolating with my two mates - last night we drank 24 bottles of Magners and 24 cans of Carlsberg lager.

"This is what we are doing virtually five days a week - I own three pubs so I've been moving the stock to home for us to drink."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/jeremy-vine-reveals-shocking-message-18090512

Tris39
15-04-2020, 17:52
The Stag (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23749/) is doing take-aways (and food too) though I think you need your own container for keg and possibly cask; Deliveroo seem to be collecting from the pub. See last photo and website.

Mobyduck
28-04-2020, 17:30
A dream come true says grumpy landlord (https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/28/uks-grumpiest-pub-owner-says-lockdown-no-customers-dream-come-true-12621362/?ito=article.amp.share.top.twitter).

bcfczuluarmy
28-04-2020, 19:53
A dream come true says grumpy landlord (https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/28/uks-grumpiest-pub-owner-says-lockdown-no-customers-dream-come-true-12621362/?ito=article.amp.share.top.twitter).

He has a sublet business from another part of the premises iirc so if they still doing off sales he's still making money from his tenant if not the lease terms would see him still collecting rent that was due.

NickDavies
06-05-2020, 16:07
In fact a first for me, I just sent a letter (email) in reply to WB, the fellas obviously a clown, though I didn't put it in those words.
I must be getting bored.

Letters have appeared..

Mobyduck
06-05-2020, 16:38
Letters have appeared..

Not mine.

NickDavies
07-05-2020, 15:50
Just seen I got a letter in Beer, surprised they printed it as it was more a correction than intended for publication

Lady Grey
09-05-2020, 02:03
Slightly off topic, the Cheltenham races seem to be going ahead, which seems to be an insane idea to me. People from all over the world, will be wandering around with the potential to infect, and be infected. Yet again, it is profit before people.
Ironicly, I was speaking to a neighbour this afternoon, who attended the Cheltenham festival. He said he had been quite ill with Covid-19 like virus in March. He seems to think he caught it at the races. His feeling is that the races should not have gone ahead, and yes, it was all about profit.
On an even more sombre note, I was passing by the Beehive pub in Prestbury (Cheltenham) the other week, and saw flowers placed outside. I later discovered that the landlord had died from the virus. He had served quite a few customers during the festival.
What is even more shocking, is that the festival WAS cancelled years ago, because of the foot and mouth crisis. Nice to know where the priorities lie isn't it!

rpadam
09-05-2020, 06:37
Just seen I got a letter in Beer, surprised they printed it as it was more a correction than intended for publication
... but at least Roger Protz 'fessed up gracefully!

Tris39
09-05-2020, 15:33
Ironicly, I was speaking to a neighbour this afternoon, who attended the Cheltenham festival. He said he had been quite ill with Covid-19 like virus in March. He seems to think he caught it at the races. His feeling is that the races should not have gone ahead, and yes, it was all about profit.
On an even more sombre note, I was passing by the Beehive pub in Prestbury (Cheltenham) the other week, and saw flowers placed outside. I later discovered that the landlord had died from the virus. He had served quite a few customers during the festival.
What is even more shocking, is that the festival WAS cancelled years ago, because of the foot and mouth crisis. Nice to know where the priorities lie isn't it!

This country is famous for valuing animal life above that of humans, especially when it comes to horses.
Findus shows no such sentimentality...

Wittenden
10-05-2020, 22:06
August it is? https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/10/pubs-fear-disaster-after-being-left-out-of-plans-to-ease-lockdown

hondo
18-05-2020, 19:56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52713791

rpadam
18-05-2020, 22:33
BBC News: Coronavirus: Pubs call time on two metre rule (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52704218).

NickDavies
29-05-2020, 17:28
The Briton's Protection (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59999/)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/manchesters-pubs-pine-for-the-end-of-lockdown

Oggwyn Trench
30-05-2020, 12:36
Maybe a bit of good news , we have been told at work to pick up all Marstons Group Barrels/Kegs (empty/ out of date/part full) from the customers we supply , Marstons are desperate to get them back as they are starting Brewing again in early June , a good mate who works from Banks in Wolverhampton as a Drayman been told to return to work 2nd week of June .

Tris39
30-05-2020, 16:50
Not good news! (https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/bars/four-in-10-pubs-not-confident-of-surviving-a-june-lockdown-a4437141.html)

Spinko
31-05-2020, 04:52
Maybe a bit of good news , we have been told at work to pick up all Marstons Group Barrels/Kegs (empty/ out of date/part full) from the customers we supply , Marstons are desperate to get them back as they are starting Brewing again in early June , a good mate who works from Banks in Wolverhampton as a Drayman been told to return to work 2nd week of June .

I expect a pretty noticeable ramp up in traffic the next three Mondays. I reckon the AA (the driving one) will be busy with some cars having been idle for three months.

NickDavies
08-06-2020, 10:23
Pub gardens in England could reopen from 22 June – reports

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/pub-gardens-in-england-could-reopen-from-22-june-reports

Thuck Phat
08-06-2020, 10:55
pub gardens in england could reopen from 22 june – reports

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/pub-gardens-in-england-could-reopen-from-22-june-reports

charge!!!!!

Tris39
08-06-2020, 16:40

charge!!!!!

Theoretically good, but I wonder how this will be managed. Social distancing of two metres - all round - means a fraction of the available space. How do we get to the bar or lav? With two-metre gradations? And as soon as it starts raining, then what - get soaked or go home, because we won't be allowed in. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how they will manage it.:pray:

sheffield hatter
09-06-2020, 17:36

Downing Street plays down reports it is poised to ease coronavirus restrictions (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/09/english-pubs-beer-gardens-open-coronavirus) "Beer gardens in England will not be allowed to open before the end of the month, Downing Street has said, quashing suggestions that ministers were considering allowing pubs to serve beer outside from 22 June."

...so it's almost certain to happen, then.

Quinno
09-06-2020, 21:46
Downing Street plays down reports it is poised to ease coronavirus restrictions (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/09/english-pubs-beer-gardens-open-coronavirus) "Beer gardens in England will not be allowed to open before the end of the month, Downing Street has said, quashing suggestions that ministers were considering allowing pubs to serve beer outside from 22 June."

...so it's almost certain to happen, then.

They allowed it to build up as this has been trailed in the broadsheets for a few days, they could have squashed it then. So who knows. Everything's being made up on the hoof now; there's no pretence of a sensible, level-headed roadmap. Lockdown in Reading is basically over based on my shopping trip this morning - "if Cummings and the Bonking Boffin ignored it, then why should anyone else adhere to it" (self-defeating, but understandable)

Whatever your political colourings, you'd be hard-pressed to find a normal person who would disagree that the management of this crisis over the last few weeks has been shambolic.

flatcap
09-06-2020, 22:15
Any latest news on when they will reopen please?