PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2020 crawl - possible venues

oldboots
23-02-2020, 12:41
As suggested by Aqualung here’s a thread for venue suggestions down south

Aqualung
23-02-2020, 13:51
I reluctantly agree that it ought to be the South on the basis that Brum in Autumn doesn't get hijacked. I would have thought that the candidates from last time could be used but I'm going for Caerdydd, probably better known as Cardiff. It's arguably the only suitable venue in Wales and has good rail links (unless they are flooded!) with London, the Midlands and the North West. The date would depend on events at the Stadium.

Mobyduck
23-02-2020, 16:57
Well the two runners up in the last poll were Cardiff and Winchester, I can't see much changing in another poll, Reading is good and fairly easy to get to I imagine for most but we did it 7 years ago although things have changed a bit from then.

sheffield hatter
23-02-2020, 17:14
Reading is good and fairly easy to get to I imagine for most but we did it 7 years ago although things have changed a bit from then.

Yes, but wasn't it agreed that we wouldn't do any repeats until we've done the Birmingham 10th anniversary crawl this autumn? Or have I imagined that...

Well the two runners up in the last poll were Cardiff and Winchester, I can't see much changing in another poll.

I'm not sure Caerdydd is all that, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I've not really done anything in Winchester, so that would get my vote.

How about Lincoln? :evilgrin:

oldboots
23-02-2020, 17:30
YHow about Lincoln? :evilgrin:

Tw(I)t. :evilgrin:

Mobyduck
23-02-2020, 17:48
Yes, but wasn't it agreed that we wouldn't do any repeats until we've done the Birmingham 10th anniversary crawl this autumn? Or have I imagined that...

Don't remember but agree.

Mobyduck
23-02-2020, 17:50
I'm not sure Caerdydd is all that, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I've not really done anything in Winchester, so that would get my vote.

Happy with Winchester ,but nothing new for me.

Mobyduck
23-02-2020, 17:51

Yup

sheffield hatter
23-02-2020, 18:24

Thank you

Tris39
23-02-2020, 18:37

Describing either Lincoln or Cardiff as 'the south' is a bit of a stretch - I'd be very happy with Winchester.

Real Ale Ray
23-02-2020, 18:45
Winchester is on my 'to do' list, so I'd be happy with that

sheffield hatter
23-02-2020, 21:13
Describing either Lincoln or Cardiff as 'the south' is a bit of a stretch - I'd be very happy with Winchester.

Lincoln was a joke, Tris. As OB and MD spotted!

Cardiff is in South Wales, which is good enough for me.

#geographygalore!

rpadam
23-02-2020, 21:44
Winchester is on my 'to do' list, so I'd be happy with that
I've done a few in Winchester, but there are plenty more to do so that's OK with me (although I could also say the same about Cardiff / Caerdydd…).

Aqualung
23-02-2020, 21:45

Cardiff is much improved since the "just Brains" days although IMO there are three Brains pubs worth including. When I went to Winchester last I only really liked the JDW and the Flowerpot one near the station.

Helston anyone? (it's in the South).

oldboots
23-02-2020, 21:48
I always used to enjoy going to Salisbury, is there a previous poll somewhere?

oldboots
23-02-2020, 21:50

Both south of where I live, I don't mind Winchester either.

rpadam
23-02-2020, 21:51
Interesting place, but I could get to Marseille or Frankfurt quicker by public transport!

Aqualung
23-02-2020, 22:00

Here are some figures:-

London 51.5074° N
Reading 51.4543° N
Cardiff 51.4816° N

I assume the London figure is Charing Cross but it shows that London is actually slightly North of Cardiff.

Aqualung
23-02-2020, 22:05
Interesting place, but I could get to Marseille or Frankfurt quicker by public transport!

I can get to Scotland quicker and there's more trains!!

sheffield hatter
23-02-2020, 22:19

Hehe. Nice one Aqualung!

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/helston-town/cornwall/...with[/url] eight pubs? And no railway station?

If I leave home at 6am on a Friday, I can get to Helston by bus, train, train and bus, arriving at 15:23. Luckily there's a bus that leaves at 15:44 that will get me by train to Birmingham and Nottingham, from where a coach leaves for Sheffield arriving at 1:55, so I should be home before 2:30 Saturday morning. My idea of a good day out. (Especially with no football match to spoil it.)

It was a joke, wasn't it? Please tell me you didn't really mean Helston! (Just want to be clear before someone adds it to a poll.)

Aqualung
23-02-2020, 22:38
It was a joke, wasn't it? Please tell me you didn't really mean Helston! (Just want to be clear before someone adds it to a poll.)
Of course it was a joke!
I don't think anywhere in SW England is worth considering as the only accessible places (Taunton & Exeter) aren't that great and anywhere West of that takes too long to get to

rpadam
23-02-2020, 23:09
Of course it was a joke!
… and one we've had at least twice before!

I did also say that I thought Shrewsbury has better options. I do have an overall preference for W Midland rather than E Midland towns. The ease of getting there isn't a major factor for me unless it's somewhere really silly like Pwllheli, Helston or Wick. . here: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29922-2019-Autumn-PuG-Crawl-(Tie-breaker)

Ventnor then? or Helston? here: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?24669-Next-PuG-pub-crawl(s)/page7

Gann
24-02-2020, 10:14
I am also happy with Winchester, but in the interest of fairness, and it’s always a bit of excitement to have a poll, why don’t we just put forward the six runners up to Portsmouth from the last southern poll ?, namely Winchester, Cardiff, Chelmsford, Bath, Cambridge and Salisbury..

Gann
24-02-2020, 10:17
Sorry. Before anyone points out my obvious mistake, the six highest runners up to Portsmouth

sheffield hatter
24-02-2020, 10:49
I am also happy with Winchester, but in the interest of fairness, and it’s always a bit of excitement to have a poll, why don’t we just put forward the six highest runners up to Portsmouth from the last southern poll ?, namely Winchester, Cardiff, Chelmsford, Bath, Cambridge and Salisbury..

In the absence of any new suggestions (with the notable exception of Helston, and as Richard has pointed out, even that one wasn't new) that seems like a good idea.

Aqualung
24-02-2020, 14:20
I agree there should be a poll at the very least between Cardiff & Winchester. There is a down side to Winchester in that it's in a similar area to the last Southern outing in Portsmouth.

Bucking Fastard
24-02-2020, 15:50
I am also happy with Winchester, but in the interest of fairness, and it’s always a bit of excitement to have a poll, why don’t we just put forward the six runners up to Portsmouth from the last southern poll ?, namely Winchester, Cardiff, Chelmsford, Bath, Cambridge and Salisbury..

Seems like a good idea.

Pangolin
24-02-2020, 19:15
Winchester is good, solid, drinking territory, relatively compact and easily managed so long as you watch opening hours. Little new for me but happy to add 'expertise', and a side trip to the Wonston Arms is not impossible to organise!

I have just returned from a Cardiff-based bash and there are certainly some good pubs there, although an awful lot of awful ones, but the best might be a bit spread out so good planning would be essential - do we have enough local knowledge? On the plus side, it does give the opportunity before/after to knock off some other Glamorgan pubs, which we are pretty weak on (one of my bugbears!).

Bath, Cambridge and Salisbury could equally work (don't know Chelmsford well) so I would support a poll including those.

Helston is great, of course...

rpadam
24-02-2020, 19:42
Your collective wish is my command, here: Summer 2020 Crawl to 'The South' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?31033-Summer-2020-Crawl-to-The-South).

Mobyduck
24-02-2020, 20:19
Winchester is good, solid, drinking territory, relatively compact and easily managed so long as you watch opening hours. Little new for me but happy to add 'expertise', and a side trip to the Wonston Arms is not impossible to organise!
Hmm not impossible but not sure on how regular the buses are bearing in mind the Wonston doesn't open till 5 pm during the week.

AlanH
24-02-2020, 20:44

I can get to Helston on two trains (plus a bus from Redruth!) 295miles

Lincoln takes five trains! 121miles. Only an hour quicker but less than half the distance!

Pangolin
24-02-2020, 21:21
Hmm not impossible but not sure on how regular the buses are bearing in mind the Wonston doesn't open till 5 pm during the week. There is no bus to Wonston village: Sutton Scotney is the nearest, about 15 mins walk away. I was thinking more of sharing taxi/minibus.

Mobyduck
24-02-2020, 21:30
There is no bus to Wonston village: Sutton Scotney is the nearest, about 15 mins walk away. I was thinking more of sharing taxi/minibus.

A sensible option.

Aqualung
29-02-2020, 01:31
A sensible option.
This would make Winchester a game changer for me but it would mean a Saturday visit and I would want to have an extended stay here rather than waste time going around expensive second rate pubs in Winchester.
Do you have an estimate of what a cab would cost each way from Winchester Station?

Mobyduck
29-02-2020, 05:21
This would make Winchester a game changer for me but it would mean a Saturday visit and I would want to have an extended stay here rather than waste time going around expensive second rate pubs in Winchester.
Do you have an estimate of what a cab would cost each way from Winchester Station?

Off the top of my head, no but a google search suggests about 20 quid one way for a taxi.
A Saturday would suit me.

Aqualung
29-02-2020, 11:47
I see that Egypt is nearby (this isn't a joke!). It looks like Micheldever is closer but I've seen people getting off the train there who look like they are about to hike to the South Pole.

rpadam
29-02-2020, 14:46
I see that Egypt is nearby (this isn't a joke!). It looks like Micheldever is closer but I've seen people getting off the train there who look like they are about to hike to the South Pole.
Micheldever station isn't even close to Micheldever, but as you say it's closer to Wonston than Winchester is.

oldboots
29-02-2020, 16:56
Micheldever station isn't even close to Micheldever, but as you say it's closer to Wonston than Winchester is.

Now lot of stopping trains at the formerly named Andover Rd

oldboots
29-02-2020, 16:57
Fecking predictive text- not a lot

Aqualung
29-02-2020, 17:34

I looked for a cab office via google streets but couldn't see one so you'd probably get charged for getting a cab from Andover or Winchester. I noticed that Micheldever is way to the South of the station.