PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Spring Crawl to 'The North' (dates)

rpadam
02-01-2020, 21:21
So, Preston it is, so here are some dates based on a notional April (or thereabouts) trip.

Aqualung
04-01-2020, 08:58
There are some football fixtures that may affect some of the dates with Wigan being at home to Hull on Saturday 18th April.
Other more relevant fixtures are Preston home to Birmingham on Saturday 25th April, Wigan at home to QPR on Good Friday and Fulham on Saturday 2nd May.

Isn't Good Friday a Sunday service not to mention engineering works over Easter.
I can;t find Easter engineering plans but Euston has been closed for Easter in previous years.

AlanH
04-01-2020, 11:39
There are some football fixtures that may affect some of the dates with Wigan being at home to Hull on Saturday 18th April.
Other more relevant fixtures are Preston home to Birmingham on Saturday 25th March, Wigan at home to QPR on Good Friday and Fulham on Saturday 2nd May.

Isn't Good Friday a Sunday service not to mention engineering works over Easter.
I can;t find Easter engineering plans but Euston has been closed for Easter in previous years.

I can't see Wigan v Hull causing any problems as I assume the Hull fans will travel to Manchester then direct to Hull.
Fridays are generally outscoring Saturdays except for Good Friday that has yet to score.

Aqualung
04-01-2020, 20:04
I can't see Wigan v Hull causing any problems as I assume the Hull fans will travel to Manchester then direct to Hull.
Fridays are generally outscoring Saturdays except for Good Friday that has yet to score.

I did think that looked the least problematic of them but wasn't sure what the best route was from Hull. I wouldn't mind betting that it takes a lot longer to get there from Hull than Euston! So is HS2 a priority? Of course not!

oldboots
06-01-2020, 10:06
I did think that looked the least problematic of them but wasn't sure what the best route was from Hull. I wouldn't mind betting that it takes a lot longer to get there from Hull than Euston! So is HS2 a priority? Of course not!

Hull - Wigan (WG) 2:45 change at Piccadilly
Euston - Wigan (NW) between 1:55 and 2:54 direct

but as it looks like Friday 17th that would be an ecumenical matter. HS2?? don't be daft Crossrail over-runs and anything else in the South East take priority.

rpadam
09-01-2020, 18:00
10 votes so far, and less than 3:30 to go...

ROBCamra
09-01-2020, 18:35
Now booked planned visit to Budapest and it doesn't clash. Now voted!:cheers:

rpadam
09-01-2020, 22:41
So, Friday the 17th of April it is...

Gann
10-01-2020, 09:15
Now booked planned visit to Budapest and it doesn't clash. Now voted!:cheers:

Good Town(s) Budapest. If you have ever crossed the Thames by the bridge in Marlow Bucks, then the bridge across the Danube will look mightily familiar.......

ROBCamra
10-01-2020, 13:43
Good Town(s) Budapest. If you have ever crossed the Thames by the bridge in Marlow Bucks, then the bridge across the Danube will look mightily familiar.......

I used to stay in Marlow when on courses based in High Wycombe, so, yes, I've seen it many times, although all 15+ years ago, so memories of the bridge are vague to say the least.:p

rpadam
10-01-2020, 22:32
Oh yes, William Tierney Clark's extended extravagance!

Aqualung
11-01-2020, 21:32
That's a relief the 17th April getting a landslide. I've been to Shrewsbury and before going took a punt on it being that day and booked 2 nights at the Wolverhampton Premier Inn so I'll be travelling from there as well as spending time in the Great Western.
I'm already booked in Preston for late March but have my sights on other places rather than Preston itself.
I don't have any real ideas on a route as I don't know it that well, however if the itinerary includes Popworld next to the Twelve Tellers then I might throw a wobbler!
Do we need a new thread for the route or will this do?

sheffield hatter
11-01-2020, 23:47
Do we need a new thread for the route or will this do?

I've started a new thread here: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?30810-2020-Spring-crawl-Preston-on-Friday-17th-April&p=104863#post104863