PDA

View Full Version : Statistical Anomaly

ETA
01-01-2020, 12:16
Looking through this year's list of the most popular pub names, I was surprised that BrewDog didn't feature - I reckon that there are 43 BrewDogs, which would place it at 112th most popular name. On investigation, it turns out that we have taken an inconsistent approach to naming BrewDog pubs. Only 8 BrewDogs are named as 'BrewDog', while the other 35 have the town name included in the name field, so are not counted by the stats algorithm as Brewdogs. So 'Brewdog>>Bristol>>Bristol (County)' counts as a BrewDog, whereas 'Brewdog Leicester>>Leicester>>Leicestershire' does not.

At risk of pedantry, is it worth resolving this? Or should I just accept that the names are truly different and concentrate on turning the oven off when I go to the pub?

Delboy20
01-01-2020, 12:41
I think you have raised a decent point. The BrewDog in Birmingham is simply called "BrewDog". There is no mention of Birmingham on the signage. I would assume that the other branches are the same so I would suggest removing the place name from the pub name.

NickDavies
01-01-2020, 12:55
BrewDog seem to call them "BrewDog Blahh" on their website though that could as easily be a device to optimise searches as the official names of the branches. You certainly wouldn't call it "Slug and Lettuce Blahh" even if that was the internal name for outlet.

rpadam
01-01-2020, 15:52
At risk of pedantry, is it worth resolving this? Or should I just accept that the names are truly different and concentrate on turning the oven off when I go to the pub?
A few thoughts:
1) There are some cities with more than one BrewDog outlet (sometimes in fairly close proximity) so I think adding the location helps.
2) This certainly used to be how BrewDog referred to their outlets themselves (and they should know, although this is now less clear on the latest incarnation of their website).
3) A similar question arises with other chains such as Harvester and Brewers Fayre which usually also have a 'real name', but one or the other are used by customers (if not together) and both are really needed in the Pubs Galore name to make searches work either way.

NickDavies
01-01-2020, 16:52
1) There are some cities with more than one BrewDog outlet (sometimes in fairly close proximity) so I think adding the location helps.

Yeah but we don't do that with, to use my example, Slug and Lettuces. Like the four in central Manchester (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/manchester-central/greater-manchester/). The one in Albert Square can't be more than a couple of hundred yards from the Deansgate branch.

Mobyduck
01-01-2020, 17:17
Looking through this year's list of the most popular pub names, I was surprised that BrewDog didn't feature - I reckon that there are 43 BrewDogs, which would place it at 112th most popular name. On investigation, it turns out that we have taken an inconsistent approach to naming BrewDog pubs. Only 8 BrewDogs are named as 'BrewDog', while the other 35 have the town name included in the name field, so are not counted by the stats algorithm as Brewdogs. So 'Brewdog>>Bristol>>Bristol (County)' counts as a BrewDog, whereas 'Brewdog Leicester>>Leicester>>Leicestershire' does not.

I would always recommend turning the oven off before going to the pub, or even going to bed, but sometimes its easier said than done.

rpadam
01-01-2020, 17:52
Yeah but we don't do that with, to use my example, Slug and Lettuces. Like the four in central Manchester (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/manchester-central/greater-manchester/). The one in Albert Square can't be more than a couple of hundred yards from the Deansgate branch.
Accepted, but perhaps we should (for all those Slug & Lettuce fans out there)?

NickDavies
01-01-2020, 18:14
Accepted, but perhaps we should (for all those Slug & Lettuce fans out there)?

Indeed. I guess Harvester and Brewers Fayres could follow the JDW pattern and be listed as "Steaming Crapheap (Harvester) for those who feel compelled to avail themselves of the Famous e-coli Salad Cart when visiting a strange ring-road.

ETA
02-01-2020, 12:50
I think you have raised a decent point. The BrewDog in Birmingham is simply called "BrewDog". There is no mention of Birmingham on the signage. I would assume that the other branches are the same so I would suggest removing the place name from the pub name.

That seems to be the case with all their outlets - the outside signage says simply 'BrewDog'.

Quinno
02-01-2020, 16:38
When I did my top 250 Pub Names Challenge I asked Dave to remove chain names from the 250 list - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/ as I wanted it to be 'proper traditional' pub names.

I don't know whether https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/pub-names/ looks at the same SQL but that might well be a contrbuting factor...

Tris39
02-01-2020, 19:43
When I did my top 250 Pub Names Challenge I asked Dave to remove chain names from the 250 list - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/challenge/quinno/2016/ as I wanted it to be 'proper traditional' pub names.

I don't know whether https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/pubs/pub-names/ looks at the same SQL but that might well be a contrbuting factor...

No idea how to remedy it but Miller and Carter, TGI Fridays, Popworld, Brewhouse and Kitchen, Cosy Club, Chiquito and Revolución de Cuba need to go - perhaps solve the problem by deleting them from the site altogether.

Delboy20
02-01-2020, 19:51
No idea how to remedy it but Miller and Carter, TGI Fridays, Popworld, Brewhouse and Kitchen, Cosy Club, Chiquito and Revolución de Cuba need to go - perhaps solve the problem by deleting them from the site altogether.

Here we go again. I can hear the can of worms being opened!!

Time to take cover …..

RealAleRobUK
03-01-2020, 10:33

Oi, you leave Brewhouse & Kitchen alone! I quite like their establishments, mainly for the fact that they brew their own beers in-house.

Bucking Fastard
03-01-2020, 10:33
Brewhouse and Kitchen:eek:

Aqualung
03-01-2020, 11:39
Oi, you leave Brewhouse & Kitchen alone! I quite like their establishments, mainly for the fact that they brew their own beers in-house.

I think the point was they have a chain name. Mentioning them in the same line as the other dross does imply similarity but I've been to 3 B & Ks and none of the rest!

RealAleRobUK
03-01-2020, 13:12
I think the point was they have a chain name. Mentioning them in the same line as the other dross does imply similarity but I've been to 3 B & Ks and none of the rest!

The suggestion was, as I interpreted it, that these pubs shouldn't appear in the "Common Pub Names" list, which is a valid point as they are chain names and not really the names of individual pubs. However the other half of the suggestion was that a solution to this would be to delete these pubs from the site completely, which in the case of Brewhouse & Kitchen I think would be a mistake. As for some of the others (TGI Fridays et al), well I'm sure that's been debated before.

I don't know if there is an elegant solution, but if I'm looking at the "Common Pub Names" list, I mentally skip past anything that I know is a chain name rather than an authentic pub name. We can't take these things too seriously... can we? *ducks for cover*

Tris39
03-01-2020, 18:25

I'm not knocking the institution, rather it has a chain not traditional pub name.

Delboy20
03-01-2020, 19:03
To go back to the original point (which I think is about whether to include the place name in the pub name of certain chains) I have been looking at Birmingham central area - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/birmingham-central/west-midlands/ to try and get a clear picture in my head.

There is only one Brewdog and it is called Brewdog.

There are 2 Alchemist's. They have now had the area added to the name which to me isn't needed. I added the one at Brindley Place and I definitely didn't include the area in the name. I'm not sure who altered it but was only done recently. The same goes for the 3 "All Bar One" venues and the 3 "Café Rouge" venues.

On the other hand there are 2 examples of Strada, Las Iguanas and Reflex which have not been altered.

The question is - do we need a place / area name attached to the pub name at all? Should the place name be in brackets as it is not part of the pub name (like the Wetherspoons are)? I am no expert in this world wide web thing so I haven't a clue how any of this affects searches !

That should open up the discussion a little - unless it's only me who is interested of course!

Aqualung
05-01-2020, 12:12
To go back to the original point (which I think is about whether to include the place name in the pub name of certain chains) I have been looking at Birmingham central area - https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/birmingham-central/west-midlands/ to try and get a clear picture in my head.

What Pub is the model of inconsistency with naming Brewdog bars. Even within my own branch the E9 outlet stands out as just being Brewdog!