PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24th November 2019)

ROBCamra
24-11-2019, 21:11
:cheers:

Wittenden
24-11-2019, 22:06
Kent

Tonbridge-IPA:4.8%abv.Oatstraw.Spicy,herbal,bitter.Perhaps a strong Bitter.

Spinko
25-11-2019, 03:57
Ossett Excelsior, in Stockton's Wetherspoons.

Bucking Fastard
25-11-2019, 08:55
Tower Hill,Charing Cross and Croydon.

Salopian -- Golden Thread
Dark Star -- Hophead
Brew Dog -- 99 Problems * (keg)
Pin -Up -- Gold Rush
Sam Smiths -- Yorkshire Stingo *
Burning Sky -- Aurora * (>3PT)

The Yorkshire Stingo on cask was interesting but BOTW goes to Burning Sky Aurora ,on top form (NBSS 4.5) and a welcome return to The George (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35541/).With Thornbridge Jaipur and Titanic Plum Porter also on,maybe they are back in the game,but I will wait for more confirmation before increasing the rating.

Next week end month sessions inclding the annual pilgrimage to The Southampton Arms.

oldboots
25-11-2019, 09:06
Quite a decent selection, a lot taken at the always excellent Otley Beer Festival,

Shadow - 100k
Mill Valley - Big Panther
Bone Machine - aegisdrekka
Bridgehouse - Damien
Five Towns - Panic in Detroit
Darkland - ISA (ee-saw)
Mill Valley - Xtra Fudge
Nightjar - Moloko
Nailmaker - Wapentake
Castle Rock - Screech Owl
Tapped - Sheaf St Pale
Saints Row - The Moth Blonde
Two by Two - NE Simcoe Amarillo DDH
Elland - 1872 Porter
Harrogate - Plum Porter
Theakstons - Best Bitter

BOTW from a brewery I don't normally rate, Bridgehouse Damien , a 6.2% black IPA from the wood.

Thuck Phat
25-11-2019, 09:34
BOTW Northern Monk Newer World IPA (can). Tuned up New World IPA at 7.6%. Excellent.

aleandhearty
25-11-2019, 17:50
Plenty of variety this week, on a Sunday afternoon crawl, but mostly an underwhelming bunch.

Acorn - Powder Plot.
Saltaire - Topaz.
Ossett - Ernest.
Wilde Child - Brownie Hunter.*
Great Western - Old Higby.
Old Mill - La Bolsa.*
Westgate - Witch is Which.
Parkway - Swamp Rat.
Tiny Rebel - Dutty.*
Stancill - Black.
Great Heck - Dave.
Great Heck - Chopper.
Nailmaker - Anvil.
Fernandes - Hophead Pixie.
Mill Valley - Mill Blonde.
Fernandes - Black Voodoo.

I don't see many Tiny Rebel beers on my travels, but I rather enjoyed this unfiltered IPA, made with American hops.

aleandhearty
25-11-2019, 18:00
Mill Valley - Xtra Fudge

I tried the regular Fudge a couple of months ago and found it tooth-rottingly sweet. God knows what the Xtra was like. What did you think? Also, agree with you about Bridgehouse.

Mobyduck
25-11-2019, 19:31
More excellent beer in the past week.

Hop Kettle Home Grown
Navigation Black IPA
Deeply Vale Citra Storm
Muirhouse Tick Tock
Revolutions Tinderbox
Slaters Western
Acorn Mystic IPA
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
West Berks Maharaja IPA

This weeks BOTW is the Maharaja despite some very good opposition. I hadn't particularly rated this beer when tried in the past but the latest offering was excellent in condition and taste.

Aqualung
25-11-2019, 21:33
No BOTW for me. I've been diagnosed as anaemic and also told that if I carry on drinking at the sane level my liver will explode.
No plans for any drink until Saturday and that's beginning to look unlikely.

Wittenden
26-11-2019, 08:17
No BOTW for me. I've been diagnosed as anaemic and also told that if I carry on drinking at the sane level my liver will explode.

Sorry to hear this.Look after yourself.

oldboots
26-11-2019, 09:47
I tried the regular Fudge a couple of months ago and found it tooth-rottingly sweet. God knows what the Xtra was like. What did you think? Also, agree with you about Bridgehouse.

Yep much too sweet but not quite at the Tiny Rebel stay puft level.

london calling
26-11-2019, 20:51
Two very sweet stout beers were my favourites this week
brewdog -confectionist perfectionist 6.0 marshmallow stout
track -baco 6.5 coffee and coconut stout was BOTW in the Strobelight Honey Reading

london calling
26-11-2019, 21:35
Sorry to hear that as well .I was under the impression beer was a good source of iron .Exploding livers are def dangerous to your health. Greene King -ipa should be a safe drink.Nats piss imo.

Bucking Fastard
27-11-2019, 08:23

That's sad news ,hope you can return to the drinking fold in the near future while following the docs advise.

aleandhearty
27-11-2019, 10:24

Also sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you're feeling more like yourself again, before too long.

Aqualung
27-11-2019, 11:13
That's sad news ,hope you can return to the drinking fold in the near future while following the docs advise.

Thanks for the best wishes. I'm not actually on the wagon but since picking up a cold have been hit by the symptoms of anaemia that I should have been suffering from but wasn't. This has meant I've not felt up to visiting a pub, I've got Saturday earmarked. As for doc's advice, you won't be surprised to hear that the advice depends on who you listen to. The most hard line advice comes from the "alcohol nurse" who wants you to give up completely, go to "meetings" and start taking valium (aka downers).
If I do go out I'll be avoiding doing the whole week's units (or multiples thereof) in a day!.

trainman
27-11-2019, 18:11
Thanks for the best wishes. I'm not actually on the wagon but since picking up a cold have been hit by the symptoms of anaemia
Bloody colds, I try to drown 'em!

Aqualung
27-11-2019, 18:52
Bloody colds, I try to drown 'em!

The cold has virtually gone but I find my knackered knees are playing up!

Real Ale Ray
28-11-2019, 19:56

Cutting down a bit myself, as all the Christmas crap ale is starting to creep in...

Pangolin
30-11-2019, 21:43

Whoa - that's bad news. Look after yourself and take it easy for a bit.