PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 18 July 2010)

Conrad
11-07-2010, 23:08
No World Cup, no Wimbledon, I fear I may soon start hearing about Cricket. Ah well only a month to go till the real Footie starts again.

Alesonly: Sadlers Stumbling Badger (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16203#post16203)
trainman: Phoenix White Monk (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16225#post16225)
Wittenden: Summer Lightning (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16402#post16402)
gillhalfpint: Spingo Special (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16412#post16412)
oldboots: Phoenix Pale Moonlight (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16413#post16413)
ROBCamra: Acorn Old Moor Porter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16415#post16415)
Bucking Fastard: Dark Star Hophead (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16421#post16421)
Pubsignman: Larkins Best Bitter (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16422#post16422)
an_ecumenical_matter: Transpacific Pale Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16424#post16424)
aleandhearty: Elland 'Midsummers Night's Porter' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16425#post16425)
Oggwyn Trench: Accorn Scorcher (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16444#post16444)
Dave M: Brooklyn Lager (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16445#post16445)
runningdog: Gadds She Sells Sea Shells (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16462#post16462)
HTM69: Keswick Brewing Co., Thirst Quencher (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16468#post16468)
Evil Gazebo: Timothy Taylor Landlord (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16538#post16538)
runningdog: Bass (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?3033-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-18-July-2010%29&p=16679#post16679)

ROBCamra
12-07-2010, 07:58
No World Cup, no Wimbledon, I fear I may soon start hearing about Cricket. Ah well only a month to go till the real Footie starts again.

Golf??????????????? :eek:

ROBCamra
14-07-2010, 11:00
Well a pleasant enough start to the week in The Baum last night.

Started off with a pint of Anglo-Dutch Apistus. A very light hop taste with a hint of sweetness from the honey it's made with. A bit thin and if I hadn't have had it first I wouldn't have been able to taste it.

Next up was Summer Wine Kronus, another light hoppy one which was OK followed by Leyden Hot Shots. I'm not a big fan of Leyden beers but this was one of their better ones.

I then had a pint of Hornbeam Summer IPA, this was so good that one turned into three.

The Hornbeam is miles in the lead at the moment. :cheers:

Alesonly
14-07-2010, 19:47
This weeks hard Ive had some excellent Ales best Three are listed below and its difficult too say what the best was But I would go for Sadlers Stumbling Badger as this weeks Ale of the week.

1st Sadlers stumbling Badger 4.9%abv :drinkup:

2nd Woods Wonderful 4.8%abv

3rd Titanic Anchor 4.1%abv

No more Ales this week as Im working

gillhalfpint
14-07-2010, 21:20
My beer of the week so far is Penzance Lamorna Gold 6%. It was so good we missed a bus from the Star at Crowlas and stayed for another. Their Potion No 9 was good but Lamorna Gold it is so far.

Will see what Plymouth beer fest has for us on Friday.

RogerB
15-07-2010, 09:34
I will be in Wimbledon tonight and have a couple of hours to kill so after a bit of 'Spoons Curry Club I aim to finally get to the Trafalgar where I'm expecting to find a few BotW nominations. If I get time, I will try and get to the Sultan which someone recommended elsewhere and also possibly sneak into the Prince/Princess Of Wales (???) to see what ptg has to offer!;)

trainman
15-07-2010, 09:44
I will be in Wimbledon tonight and have a couple of hours to kill so after a bit of 'Spoons Curry Club ...
Is that at Wibbas Down? Usually a good selection across 18(?) pumps - nb 2 bars at different entrances. Coincidentally, Dave at the Traf also does curry nt on Thurs (£6 inc a pint) though I think it's morphed into a choice of 3 & moved away from just rubies (& may be too late for you at 19:00, or so).

trainman
15-07-2010, 09:47
After eclectic selections at Stockport's Crown & Olde Vic the choice is a tough one, but I'm gonna plump early for Phoenix White Monk at the Crown.

RogerB
15-07-2010, 10:32
Is that at Wibbas Down?

That's the one - not been there before. Got to keep at least a couple of 'Spoons ahead of Hoppy on the tick sheet. I should find something decent across 18 pumps to neutralise the Vindaloo!

aleandhearty
15-07-2010, 13:25
I then had a pint of Hornbeam Summer IPA, this was so good that one turned into three.

Must admit ROB I'd never heard of Hornbeam before now, but after visiting the website will definitely be keeping an eye out.

ROBCamra
15-07-2010, 13:36
Must admit ROB I'd never heard of Hornbeam before now, but after visiting the website will definitely be keeping an eye out.

They've been around for about 3 years now. Simon at the Baum has an ongoing delivery arrangement with them so they drop off a couple of nines per month and collect last months empties.

This time they dropped the Summer IPA and Swift Swallow. Swallow will hit the bar as soon as the IPA has gone, so it may be on already.

I might have to pop down and check tonight as Ms Camra is going on a do to an Italian in Oldham. :whistle:

aleandhearty
15-07-2010, 13:44
I might have to pop down and check tonight as Ms Camra is going on a do to an Italian in Oldham. :whistle:

I suspect that if the Mrs needs to ring you tonight she won't even bother trying the home number! :D Have you tried the Dark Domination?

ROBCamra
15-07-2010, 15:20
I suspect that if the Mrs needs to ring you tonight she won't even bother trying the home number! :D Have you tried the Dark Domination?

Yes, I liked it. :eek::o I thought the beer was good as well!!:D

aleandhearty
15-07-2010, 19:10
Yes, I liked it. :eek::o I thought the beer was good as well!!:D

:D I knew it was coming, but it still made me laugh!

Gann
15-07-2010, 22:00
After bemoaning the fact a couple of weeks ago that Leeds Brewery ales don't seem to make it down to London, I've found a couple of outlets this week that have Leeds Best on, and today found out that Nicholsons have Midnight Bell as one of their Summer guest beers and had an excellent pint in The Coal Hole on the Strand today.
I'll be surprised if anything beats that for me this week.

Oggwyn Trench
17-07-2010, 09:40
Good night in the Station last night , only 3 guests on at first , Accorn Scorcher , Elland Razamanaz and Green Mill Pearly Gates all very good then 2 went so 4 Pictish went on Maelstrom , Siren ,Summit and Warrior so i had to stay for another 4 pints :rolleyes:

Its between the Accorn Scorcher and Pictish Warrior at the moment

Wittenden
18-07-2010, 23:27
A hard choice between two old favourites: Harvey's Sussex best Bitter and Hopback's Summer Lightning: on the whole the title goes to Summer Lightning-those guys really know how to get the best out of East Kent Goldings and Wye Challenger.

RogerB
18-07-2010, 23:57
After the week I've had, I really need to find a bit of clarity and think about this one carefully.

gillhalfpint
19-07-2010, 08:24
I thought my beer of the week would come from Plymouth beer festival, but it has to go to the excellent Spingo Special 6.6% that we had at the Blue Anchor. Believe things have changed there. Both the Spingp Middle and the special were in excellent condition, and the Special was superb.

oldboots
19-07-2010, 08:41
Stiff competition this week, Hornbeam Swift Swallow was excellent as was Saltaire Cascade but early in the week I had two great pints of Pheonix Pale Moonlight and that's my beer of the week.

RogerB
19-07-2010, 08:58
I thought my beer of the week would come from Plymouth beer festival, but it has to go to the excellent Spingo Special 6.6% that we had at the Blue Anchor. Believe things have changed there. Both the Spingp Middle and the special were in excellent condition, and the Special was superb.

Are you listening A&H!!!!!!

ROBCamra
19-07-2010, 09:44
Stiff competition this week, Hornbeam Swift Swallow was excellent as was Saltaire Cascade but early in the week I had two great pints of Pheonix Pale Moonlight and that's my beer of the week.

I know how good the Hornbeam Swift Swallow was. I had a couple of pints of it the day before you visited the famous Baum and another couple a few hours after you left.

However, one of my favourite dark beers of all time was also on the bar and also on top form.

BOTW is Acorn Old Moor Porter. :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
19-07-2010, 10:45
Had a very enjoyable session in The Harp,Chandos Place ,WC2 and on a warm Friday evening the Dark Star Hophead was a worthy BOTW although special mention should go to the Paradise Weiss.Back in boating mode this week with plans the check out the drinking scene in Kidsgrove ,Stoke and Stone .Titanic Ales to the fore and hopefully no icebergs on the Trent and Mersey canal.

Pubsignman
19-07-2010, 11:16
Very little for me to choose from this week (Couple of pints of Youngs ordinary, a cloudy pint of Harveys), so a clear winner for me would be the pint of Larkins Best Bitter that I enjoyed at the Royal Oak in Tunbridge Wells yesterday.

an_ecumenical_matter
19-07-2010, 12:56
A bit behind schedule but the Plain Innocence at the legendary Nags Head Reading yesterday was excellent. However BOTW has to be ARBOR ALES Transpacific Pale Ale sampled at the Seven Stars on Friday. Arbor Ales seem to get better and better with every brew.
http://www.arborales.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=53

aleandhearty
19-07-2010, 14:08
Seem to have drunk a huge amount this week, including a lot of bad canned stuff at a fiftieth. However,some good stuff as well:

Bob's 'Yakima'
Great Heck 'Heckstra Gold'
Amber Ales 'Blonde'
Derby Brewery 'Old Intentional'
Great Heck 'Golden Bull'
Blue Monkey 'Original'
Titanic 'Ale Over'
Naylors 'Black and Tan'
WharfeBank 'Slinger's Gold'
Acorn 'Barnsley Bitter'
Timothy Taylor 'Landlord'
Elland 'Midsummer Night's Porter'
Fernandes 'Hawklord'
Fernandes 'Lucifer'
Greene King / Westgate 'Back of the Net'

The Luclfer and Heckstra Gold deserve an honorable mention but the clear winner and my BOTW: Elland 'Midsummer Night's Porter'

aleandhearty
19-07-2010, 14:21
Are you listening A&H!!!!!!

:D OK, OK I hear you. Will give it a second chance!

Oggwyn Trench
19-07-2010, 16:37
Didnt manage to get out after Friday so BOTW is Accorn Scorcher

Dave M
19-07-2010, 16:42
On Friday I was introduced to Brooklyn Lager and have to admit to being surprised at how good it tasted. I have had better beers this week, but this one gets it purely on the surprise factor of a tasty lager!

RogerB
19-07-2010, 18:16
On Friday I was introduced to Brooklyn Lager and have to admit to being surprised at how good it tasted. I have had better beers this week, but this one gets it purely on the surprise factor of a tasty lager!

I was in a pub at the weekend where none of the ales were available due to a technical fault in the cellar so I ended up having a pint of Carling - it was sooo good (but I'm not having that as BotW!).

Over a week that has included 2 beer fests, I have managed to get through 3 WJ Kings beers - IPA, Glorius Victorius and Green Bullet, Lymestone Stonecutter, Arundel Beer Miles, Pilgrim Vest Alia, Lodden Flight Of Fancy, Slaters Premium, Osset Big Red, Castle Rock Harvest Pale, Westerham Challenger, Wantsum Hengist, Gadds Dr Sunshine & She Sells Sea Shells, Westerham British Bulldog, Grafton Summer Bliss, Blindman's Golden Arrow & 3 Sheets To The Wind, Milk Street The Usual, Cottage Captain Jack, Shepherd Neame 4-4-2, Wibblers Hoppy Helper, Buntingford Polar Star, Shalford Hyde Bitter, Greene King Sun Dance & Tolly Cobbold Phoenix & St Austell Tribute as well as a few Bombardiers and an Adnams. I would mention that many of them were just halves! Beer of the Week out of that lot? Quite honestly there weren't many I didn't enjoy but for some reason my notes have a little asterisk next to the Gadds She Sells Sea Shells at the King George V in Brompton so it will be that one even though it is lost now as to why I picked it out.

HTM69
19-07-2010, 20:26
A not-too-bad-a-week for HTM69, with 16-and-a-half pint sunk over a 3-day period. It started on a Tuesday in the local Social Club, before ending in London on the Saturday at the Market Porter before finally boarding the train at London Bridge and heading for the charming delights of suburban Deptford and the plethora of goodies it provides… not.

Speckled Hen x 4
Spitfire x 3 ½
Westgate Brewery, Sun Dance x 1
Keswick Brewing Co., Thirst Quencher x 1
Wadworth Henry’s Original I.P.A. x 1
Guinness x 6

BOTW: Keswick Brewing Co., Thirst Quencher

HTM69
19-07-2010, 20:32
Gadds She Sells Sea Shells at the King George V in Brompton so it will be that one even though it is lost now as to why I picked it out.

You went to one of my local's and didn't think to inform me??? :moremad: ;)

RogerB
19-07-2010, 21:56
You went to one of my local's and didn't think to inform me??? :moremad: ;)

I went to 4 of your locals! I did the Medway Hopper thing but it wasn't until Saturday afternoon that I decided to go and it was all a bit too late to organise anything. I ended up doing it on my own!! I did intend to do a few pubs in Rochester after doing the rounds on the bus but my beer tank was reaching overload.

HTM69
19-07-2010, 22:11
Well, I was working unfortunately, anyway.

I’ll have to get you in the Britannia and you’re surely due a return visit to The Man Of Kent., as well!

How did you find the George V? It’s my favourite in the Medway area, personally. I’m looking forward to going there with someone other than my father eventually!

RogerB
19-07-2010, 22:50
Well, I was working unfortunately, anyway.

I’ll have to get you in the Britannia and you’re surely due a return visit to The Man Of Kent., as well!

How did you find the George V? It’s my favourite in the Medway area, personally. I’m looking forward to going there with someone other than my father eventually!

I walked PAST the Man Of Kent twice - it was heartbreaking but I couldn't have shoved another pint down me! Agree about George V - one of the best I have been to in those parts.

rpadam
19-07-2010, 23:00
For a light summer beer, it's got to be Ushers 1824 for the second week running - they just can't poor it quick enough for the thirst punters in the village club...

Millay
20-07-2010, 05:50
Thornbridge Wild Swan for me last week.

trainman
20-07-2010, 07:19
... it was heartbreaking but I couldn't have shoved another pint down me!

There's a phrase I didn't think we'd hear from this estimable source! I shudder to think what the pint count was that finally tipped our champ over the edge!

RogerB
20-07-2010, 08:48
There's a phrase I didn't think we'd hear from this estimable source! I shudder to think what the pint count was that finally tipped our champ over the edge!

It wasn't that many by my standards. I don't like drinking halves but when Festivals are concerned its the only way to try out a decent range. I think drinking halves puts some sort of psychological threshold in your head that means your brain is fooled into thinking you've had 16 pints when in reality it is only about 8 or 9. I think doing halves makes you drink quicker as well which probably didn't help.

trainman
20-07-2010, 09:18
I don't like drinking halves but when Festivals are concerned its the only way to try out a decent range. I think doing halves makes you drink quicker as well

I've often considered 'the festival effect' and think other contributory factors are that
a) one rarely has anywhere to put down one's drink, so it is in constant supping motion and
b) whilst supping the current half one scours the programme tasting notes to decide on the next selection and, having made the decision, one skulls whatever is left of the current beer to get to the next, creating a faster pace than would probably have been the case otherwise.
It always seems to accelerate inebriety anyway, as does lack of match practice (I'm sad to report...)

gillhalfpint
20-07-2010, 10:15
Ooooh I do like your festival effect factors. I do that the quick quaffing of the one when I have selected the next.

Conrad
20-07-2010, 12:09
... but for some reason my notes have a little asterisk next to the Gadds She Sells Sea Shells at the King George V in Brompton so it will be that one even though it is lost now as to why I picked it out.
Were you just making a note to say it when you were sober?

Evil Gazebo
20-07-2010, 14:04
Emerging last week from what has been a virtual beer-famine (self-imposed due to impending home ownership), my BOTW goes to Timothy Taylor Landlord, largely due to the absence of any serious competition.

runningdog
22-07-2010, 19:19
I don't like drinking halves but when Festivals are concerned its the only way to try out a decent range.

I don't drink halves, not out of an 'alf pint glass, theres no street cred in a half pint glass.........
As for BotW, in the end it came down to a pint of Bass. There is a story but I wouldn't ask, I was you..........
:whistle::drinkup:

RogerB
22-07-2010, 20:32
I don't drink halves, not out of an 'alf pint glass, theres no street cred in a half pint glass....:

Ditto - At festivals I have a half but in a pint glass - CAMRA bar staff often tend to be a tad generous when sticking a half in a pint glass. :eek:

runningdog
22-07-2010, 20:49
CAMRA bar staff often tend to be a tad generous when sticking a half in a pint glass. :eek:

Ever noticed that when desperate for a pint you can never get a full glass, yet when you decide to 'ave just another 'alf before heading home, the buggers always fill your pint glass to the brim. I find it so hard to be offended.........

Conrad
23-07-2010, 12:47
I don't drink halves, not out of an 'alf pint glass, theres no street cred in a half pint glass.........
As for BotW, in the end it came down to a pint of Bass. There is a story but I wouldn't ask, I was you..........
:whistle::drinkup:
Thank goodness the beast is back.