PDA

View Full Version : I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

General Staal
10-07-2010, 19:49
I just thought I'd take this opportunity to say that I really like the caramel taste and smell of a good Black Sheep Bitter. And a fine pint of Riggwelter is sublime.

I got the taste for Black Sheep beer on a holiday in Pateley Bridge a few years back. I have done the Brewery tour and supped beer in the visitor centre bar. And I bought the glasses.

There is nothing 'ubiquitous' about Black Sheep.

Oggwyn Trench
10-07-2010, 20:06
The key word is good , i had a pint of Black Sheep tonight and it was awfull , warm and flat , when i complained i got one which was cool and flat ...... good pub . good beer.... bad pub , bad beer

rpadam
10-07-2010, 20:09
There is nothing pejorative about the word "ubiquitous"...

General Staal
10-07-2010, 20:22
The key word is good , i had a pint of Black Sheep tonight and it was awfull , warm and flat , when i complained i got one which was cool and flat ...... good pub . good beer.... bad pub , bad beer

Which Black Sheep was it? I had a pint of Bitter two weeks ago in Henley. Like all the beers that day, it was warm and flat. Mind you, it was a hot day. It was the best pint I had that day though.

Eddie86
10-07-2010, 20:56
Wow, Black Sheep. That brings back memories on another site, nearly a year ago to the day!

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/7966/

Griffo was the chaps name. Best response to a customer complaint I've every written online I think :D

General Staal
10-07-2010, 21:07
Excellent response.

Some people are just so rude!

Wittenden
10-07-2010, 22:59
I'm not adverse to BlackSheep, Riggwelter rather than the bitters,but there are other Yorkshire beers that I prefer:Copper Dragon Golden Pippin to name but one. What does irk me is that seemingly every pub in the Dales has BS- a bit like Sheps here in Kent. I love most Sheps beers, but to find them in a free house...There, I didn't use the u-word.

Eddie86
10-07-2010, 23:17
Back from my holiday in Kent, the only beer I could find on tap was Master Brew, at about 3.7%. Whilst a nice beer, I was craving for something light and hoppy by the end of the week!

arwkrite
11-07-2010, 07:05
Black Sheep Bitter was available locally a while back but was replaced by Tribute. A year or so ago I would stop at The Pepper Pot just off the M40 Warwick junction. They had it but I preferred the lighter Everards Tiger.

General Staal
11-07-2010, 08:01
I'm not adverse to BlackSheep, Riggwelter rather than the bitters,but there are other Yorkshire beers that I prefer:Copper Dragon Golden Pippin to name but one. What does irk me is that seemingly every pub in the Dales has BS- a bit like Sheps here in Kent. I love most Sheps beers, but to find them in a free house...There, I didn't use the u-word.

Copper Dragon is a very good beer. Their Black Gold is amazing. I got into Copper Dragon at the Blue Bell in Kettlewell in 2008. It was a very good Copper Dragon pub. It might still be. I haven't been there for two years.

But living in the Midlands, I can't get Copper Dragon round here.

I'm not saying that Black Sheep is my favourite beer, just that I quite like it. I certainly drink it up in Yorkshire. But I also like Cameron's Strongarm, which I have never seen outside of Whitby.

Wye Valley beers, Hobson's, Black Country Ales, Batham's are the obvious cracking ones we get in my neck of the woods. But I'll always defend Black Sheep.

Gann
11-07-2010, 08:07
Yep, I'm with the General on this one and will proudly say I also like Black Sheep beers.

I too got a taste for them on numerous visits to the North Yorshire Dales over the last 25 years and have done the brewery tour on a few occassions.

I have been a little surprised by perceived negativity towards Black Sheep, especially by several of my yorkshire colleagues who seem to have the same view towards the brewery that us soft southerners have towards Greedy King.

I've always put it down to the fact that in the Dales, Black Sheep beers are ubiquitous, and to the great British trait of knocking anybody who has become very successful from humble beginnings.

But if I am missing anything, would be glad to here it from our North of England contributors with greater knowledge.

oldboots
11-07-2010, 08:09

Well as Wittenden almost says it is in the Dales (in fact in most of North Yorkshire) although it's not as wide spread as John Smiths in some places. It is also the best of the four most widely available, Tetleys, John Smiths, Theakstons, Black Sheep, It's also better than Hambleton in my opinion but not a patch on Copper Dragon, Daleside, Wensleydale, Roosters, etc. Of course since we have 28 decent breweries in North Yorks, plus 2 that are crap, the bar is a bit high :p

oldboots
11-07-2010, 08:27
I have been a little surprised by perceived negativity towards Black Sheep, especially by several of my yorkshire colleagues who seem to have the same view towards the brewery that us soft southerners have towards Greedy King.

I've always put it down to the fact that in the Dales, Black Sheep beers are ubiquitous, and to the great British trait of knocking anybody who has become very successful from humble beginnings.

But if I am missing anything, would be glad to here it from our North of England contributors with greater knowledge.

I've noticed that the four widely available in Yorkshire are traditional Yorkshire bitters while the others I mentioned before are mainly golden citrusy type beers, well apart from Daleside and Hambleton. Probably a case of familiarity breeds contempt combined with a preference for golden citrusy beers among Yorkshire ale drinkers these days. I don't think it's dislike of success, I've never come across anyone in North Yorkshire who would dream of comparing BS with GK, apart from on grounds of limited ubiquity. Tetleys and J Smiths, or their multinational owners, can be compared to GK but they're also just not very good beers while Theakstons and Black Sheep make good beers but are a bit boring in the Yorkshire context. There's also the truism that the more widely available a beer the higher the chance of getting a bad 'un.

General Staal
11-07-2010, 08:34
I've noticed that the four widely available in Yorkshire are traditional Yorkshire bitters while the others I mentioned before are mainly golden citrusy type beers, well apart from Daleside and Hambleton. Probably a case of familiarity breeds contempt combined with a preference for golden citrusy beers among Yorkshire ale drinkers these days.

Ah, now I personally find citrussy beers unpalatable. I have had this debate with my brother-in-law who really likes beers that are very, very pale and citrussy. If I wanted a citrussy drink, I'd have lemon cordial. I would much have a hoppy beer rasping on my tongue, a caramel beer melting down my throat, or a creamy stout/porter/mild to soothe my tonsils.

General Staal
11-07-2010, 08:40
I really want to like the beers by Purity - its a relatively local beer - and I know they are very good. But they are very citrussy and I avoid them. Occasionally I will try a half to see if my taste has changed, but I can never finish it!

Oggwyn Trench
11-07-2010, 12:06
Which Black Sheep was it? I had a pint of Bitter two weeks ago in Henley. Like all the beers that day, it was warm and flat. Mind you, it was a hot day. It was the best pint I had that day though.

It was Black Sheep Bitter , i dont mind it normally but this one was just badly looked after

oldboots
11-07-2010, 17:59
Just to add some empirical evidence to the argument, I visited one of Yorkshire's best free houses today, it sells Black Sheep bitter as a regular plus up to six guests, Todays choice of guests was, Crown HPA, Wensleydale Semer Water, Durham White Velvet, Hopback Summer Lightning, Outlaw Stars and Stripes plus one whose name I forget but it was a golden citrus type. Best sellers were HPA and Semer Water, no-one ordered Black Sheep. I thought the Stars and Stripes excellent and the HPA a bit thin, the Semer Water uses an English hop that I don't like, although their other beers are excellent including a dark MILD.

runningdog
11-07-2010, 22:54
I've never quite understood the attitude behind the habit of calling an ale bad simply because you don't like the taste. I'm not a lover of Black Sheep Bitter or it's Golden stablemate, they are simply not my kind of beer. However I might well fight you for a decent pint of Riggwelter. That said I've had more than the odd pint of Black Sheep that went down a treat.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
Well that's made up me mind, a bottle of Riggwelter it is..........:drinkup::cheers::drinkup:

Wittenden
12-07-2010, 08:42
I've never quite understood the attitude behind the habit of calling an ale bad simply because you don't like the taste. I'm not a lover of Black Sheep Bitter or it's Golden stablemate, they are simply not my kind of beer. However I might well fight you for a decent pint of Riggwelter. That said I've had more than the odd pint of Black Sheep that went down a treat.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
Well that's made up me mind, a bottle of Riggwelter it is..........:drinkup::cheers::drinkup:

Exactly:same with Greene King-GKIPA isn't a bad beer ,it's not really to my taste, and it is everywhere, especially in pubs that can't be bothered to look after it properly. On one of the beers sites/blogs someone called Zak Avery,who keeps a well known beershop in't North, wrote an interesting peice about GK, not at all knocking it.

RogerB
12-07-2010, 08:44
Black Sheep Best is one of the few beers I could correctly name in a blindfold test. The waft of the malts through Masham when I visited the town is forever etched on my tastebuds and every time I have a pint, it all comes back. I love the stuff but agree that the Rigwelter is also a great pint if you want something a bit more heavyweight.

ROBCamra
12-07-2010, 08:59
I'm with OB on this one.

I don't mind a pint of the Sheep and when it's good it's very good.

The thing is that despite being across the border in Lancashire we still get loads of it and it also seems to be the default beer of choice for pubs that don't really do cask ale.

This means that the proper beer pubs don't stock it and the non beer pubs don't keep it very well.

So the bottom line is. Despite the fact that it's available in lots of places it's just not very good round here. :(

aleandhearty
12-07-2010, 14:12
it also seems to be the default beer of choice for pubs that don't really do cask ale.

This means that the proper beer pubs don't stock it and the non beer pubs don't keep it very well.

So the bottom line is. Despite the fact that it's available in lots of places it's just not very good round here.(

That pretty much sums up my view ROB. I don't actually go a bundle on mid brown bitters, but even allowing for the fact it's not my preferred style, I still find it quite a boring beer. Black Sheep Ale is better and Riggwelter is a lovely drop. I still haven't tried Golden Sheep.

Perceptions of Black Sheep (Bitter) locally seem to be very polarised. One thing that sticks in the mind is when the brewery introduced the illuminated hand pump. One wag wrote in the local CAMRA mag that you'd need to put 10 000 volts through BSB to give it some flavour. Like 'ob' hinted, we're spoilt for choice in Yorkshire, brewery wise.

NickDavies
13-07-2010, 13:56
I think Black Sheep's alright, seldom gets this far south.

The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start struggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things. The other pub was a Harvey's tied house which made a perfect respite.

RogerB
13-07-2010, 14:15
The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start stuggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things.

I called into a pub in an obscure fishing village on the Moray Coast to watch the Mexico v France game during the World Cup. Real Ales are virtually non existant in the area but I did read that this place had a couple so I actively made an effort to get there. Yep - London Bleedin' Pride. Luckily they also had Houston Killenan which kept me going for the night! Everyone else in the pub was on the Pride.

Oggwyn Trench
13-07-2010, 17:11
I think Black Sheep's alright, seldom gets this far south.

The one you can't get away from round here is London Pride. I always start struggling about halfway down the second pint. The other day four out of the five pubs tried in a town 60 miles from the brewery had Pride amongst other things. The other pub was a Harvey's tied house which made a perfect respite.

Lots of London Pride up here in Shropshire as well , most of it bloody awfull

Wittenden
13-07-2010, 22:09
Whether we rate Black Sheep beers or not, I admire their business plan: whereas many sons of the beerage, when presented with wads of cash on the sale of the family business, have gone on to squander it on "high living", Paul (?) Theakston has made a pretty good fist of trading in his own account, and incidentally seems to have encouraged his siblings to buy back the old firm. I would be surprised if there would be any brewing in Masham today if it were not for the success of BS, as I doubt if which ever multi-national currently owns Scottish and Newcastle would be interested in a quaint country brewery in the remoter reaches of God's Own County.
Having said that, both firms, as A& H and OB say, are up against some strong and talented competition: anyone care to guess why the family Wittenden goes to Yorkshire for their hols?

RogerB
13-07-2010, 22:21
Having said that, both firms, as A& H and OB say, are up against some strong and talented competition: anyone care to guess why the family Wittenden goes to Yorkshire for their hols?

It's no secret that Yorkshire beers are among my favourites, just about edging out Cornwall.

aleandhearty
15-07-2010, 12:36
It's no secret that Yorkshire beers are among my favourites, just about edging out Cornwall.

Heading down to St Ives agin this year, in a couple of weeks. Last year's holiday beers were dominated by the big three (Sharps, Skinners and St Austell) I'm hoping to find something a bit more off the beaten track this year. I might even give The Blue Anchor, Helston a second chance if we're over that way. :D

gillhalfpint
15-07-2010, 16:06
You should be in St Ives when Helston fest is on. Runs from 29 - 31 July at the Football Club by Tesco in Helston. We have done it the last 2 years and not been disappointed.

Haven't had much so far apart from the big 3, but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.

Had a couple of Thorne beers, Coastal and Bays, but the rest have been the usual.

aleandhearty
15-07-2010, 18:17
You should be in St Ives when Helston fest is on. Runs from 29 - 31 July at the Football Club by Tesco in Helston. We have done it the last 2 years and not been disappointed.

Haven't had much so far apart from the big 3, but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.

Had a couple of Thorne beers, Coastal and Bays, but the rest have been the usual.

Thanks for the heads up on Helston fest. Unfortunately, we're travelling down on the 31st. After an 8-9 hour drive and pitching the tent I think we'll be fit for very little. Love the sound of The Star. Will definitely try and visit during our stay.

RogerB
16-07-2010, 12:08
Even the 'Spoons in Cornwall didn't venture much beyond the local beers when we were last in the area. I was also going to mention the Star at Crowlas for a bit of variety. The Old Ale House in Truro is another that is worth a peek if you are in that area.

Dave M
16-07-2010, 12:25
It strikes me that Cornwall has taken the whole LocAle concept a little too far in some ways.

I've just been going through my notes of the 10 pubs I visited last month (and yes I really should get them written up and on the site) and I only saw two beers that weren't from one of the big three down there. Those two being Brains SA and Courage Best.

And just to add a bit of an on topic point, I had my first Riggwelter a couple of nights back after a friend bought me a bottle of it. Very nice it was too, shame I only had the one!

RogerB
16-07-2010, 12:29
shame I only had the one!

If you'd had 2, you wouldn't have remembered drinking either of them!

trainman
16-07-2010, 12:35
Unfortunately, we're travelling down on the 31st. After an 8-9 hour drive and pitching the tent I think we'll be fit for very little.

If you can't quite make that, you might consider treating yourselves to a B&B at Spreyton's Tom Cobley to sample many of their 20+ beers. Assuming that you are doing M5, then A30 wouldn't be much of a diversion... (hark at me, sounding like a driver!). Anyway, I was gutted to miss this national poty finalist last year, as they were closed the weekend we were nearby.

gillhalfpint
21-07-2010, 20:57
Had a well kept Black Sheep Bitter at Cadgwith Cove Inn, Cadgwith, Lizard today. Also on there was Otter Bitter. Great change from the big three.

ROBCamra
25-07-2010, 11:25
About 6 months ago I had a pint of Black Sheeps Golden Sheep in Alberts bar in Harrogate.

I didn't think much of it as it was gold coloured but had a really strange malty taste. I thought it was probably the bar that wasn't keeping it very well.

Last night I tried another pint in the award winning Baum, knowing that it would be well kept here.

It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap. :sick: Simon the landlord agreed with me, so it's not just my taste.

Crossover from the Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week thread I think.

aleandhearty
25-07-2010, 22:41
It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap.

For God's sake ROB, stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you feel! :D Must admit I'm still curious to try it, but there's no rush after yours and Oggy's judgements.

aleandhearty
16-08-2010, 20:36
Heading down to St Ives agin this year, in a couple of weeks. Last year's holiday beers were dominated by the big three (Sharps, Skinners and St Austell) I'm hoping to find something a bit more off the beaten track this year. I might even give The Blue Anchor, Helston a second chance if we're over that way. :D

As I hinted on the BOTW thread, Enjoyed the beer in Cornwall much more this year. Probably still dominated by Skinners and St Austell, but there seemed to be a much greater variety of brews available. (The 'Black Prince' was a revelation.) By sheer chance stumbled upon a mini beer festival at The Witchball, The Lizard which featured beers from Chough and Wooden Hand, amongst others.

but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.
Loved the Star, trying a couple of Penzance brews, including Potion No.9. Nearly my pub of the holiday, just pipped by The Star at St Just.

gillhalfpint
16-08-2010, 22:32
Had the best Black Sheep beer at Embleton, Northumberland in Greys Inn, a 2010 GBG pub. It was Riggwelter and very very drinkable. BOTW for 15.8.10 for me.

arwkrite
17-08-2010, 03:57
Both the Doombar and the Tribute have not been available in one of my locals for a while. Granted they have not tasted great recently but the majority of drinkers now appear to have lager or the one smooth flow on offer.I hope the landlord is just changing to a couple of different ales.

Quinno
17-08-2010, 13:21
Doombar...I'm wondering if they're starting to overstretch themselves, I've had a few duff ones lately (at places where I would expect them to be better).

I recall reading their owner saying that they wanted to be as ubiqiutous in the South as London Pride...and London Pride is a drink that is so often badly-kept I forget just how good it can be when I come across the rarity of a good one.

General Staal
17-08-2010, 14:22
What is wrong with me? I am even starting to like Abbot Ale!

RogerB
17-08-2010, 14:28
I see Greene King IPA so rarely now that I almost have to try it every time to remember how bad it is. The aforementioned Doom Bar seems to be invading the country at a faster rate than Japanese knotweed or Chinese mitten crabs.

Quinno
17-08-2010, 14:42
I see Greene King IPA so rarely now that I almost have to try it every time to remember how bad it is.

Masochist! :sick:

General Staal
17-08-2010, 14:44
The aforementioned Doom Bar seems to be invading the country at a faster rate than Japanese knotweed or Chinese mitten crabs.

The first couple of times I tried Doom Bar, I described it as 'majestic'. It was that good. I got Soupy to try it. That was a couple of years ago when it wasn't that common.

I have had it recently and it just doesn't have the same taste. Whereas Abbot was always a bit of a bland nothing in the past, but seems to have acquired a delicious caramel taste just like Black Sheep. I had it for the first time in ages on holiday last week and it was lovely. I thought it was the pub keeping it especially well. I tried it again in Tewkesbury yesterday and it was still lovely.

Either Abbot has changed or my taste buds have.

Conrad
18-08-2010, 11:40
Kind of echoes my feelings on Doom Bar. I may have to take a chance on Abbot next time I see it and see if I agree with you on that as well.

trainman
18-08-2010, 11:45
The Doom in the Traf on Saturday was good, and I had to raise several glasses to Joe Hart...

Wittenden
18-08-2010, 22:01
The first couple of times I tried Doom Bar, I described it as 'majestic'. It was that good. I got Soupy to try it. That was a couple of years ago when it wasn't that common.

I have had it recently and it just doesn't have the same taste. Whereas Abbot was always a bit of a bland nothing in the past, but seems to have acquired a delicious caramel taste just like Black Sheep. I had it for the first time in ages on holiday last week and it was lovely. I thought it was the pub keeping it especially well. I tried it again in Tewkesbury yesterday and it was still lovely.

Either Abbot has changed or my taste buds have.

Abbot was fine way back , but I haven't tried it for years.I've dined out on the fact that I must be the only beerdrinker in England never to have seen Doombar in a pub:anyway it was on gravity in the axe and Compasses in Ayethorpe Roding in Essex tonight, however the Nethergate ales proved more tempting.Now if Jaipur IPA (another beer I've never tried) was available, that would have been my first choice.

aleandhearty
15-09-2010, 14:32
I still haven't tried Golden Sheep.

About 6 months ago I had a pint of Black Sheeps Golden Sheep...I didn't think much of it as it was gold coloured but had a really strange malty taste. I thought it was probably the bar that wasn't keeping it very well.

Last night I tried another pint in the award winning Baum...It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap. :sick: Simon the landlord agreed with me, so it's not just my taste.

I'm not normally one to rake over old coals, but I couldn't let my experience pass without comment. Finally tried it in The Hop, Leeds a couple of weekends ago. Just as you described it. Three out of our group tried it and we were all very disparaging.

Soup Dragon
15-09-2010, 15:51
I'm not normally one to rake over old coals, but I couldn't let my experience pass without comment. Finally tried it in The Hop, Leeds a couple of weekends ago. Just as you described it. Three out of our group tried it and we were all very disparaging.

I had it the other week - just no taste

NickDavies
15-10-2010, 19:03
Just got my Camra Members' Investment Club statement which reveals that we are the largest single shareholder in Black Sheep at around 7%. I wonder if it will ever get to the stage that we gain real influence over some of these companies.

Wittenden
31-10-2010, 19:21
Hot foot back from the Yorkshire Dales-in 8 days not one pint of Blacksheep bitter passed my lips. I do admit to drinking Riggwelter with pride and satisfaction. In this non scientific survey it appears that the ale situation there is definately improving.

RogerB
01-11-2010, 08:37
Hot foot back from the Yorkshire Dales-in 8 days not one pint of Blacksheep bitter passed my lips.

Impossible! Either your sat nav guided you to the outer hebrides by mistake or you had a temporary bout of temperence disease.

Wittenden
01-11-2010, 10:15
Impossible! Either your sat nav guided you to the outer hebrides by mistake or you had a temporary bout of temperence disease.

I didn't say I hadn't seen it (or Theakston's Best...

aleandhearty
01-11-2010, 22:16
Hot foot back from the Yorkshire Dales-in 8 days not one pint of Blacksheep bitter passed my lips...In this non scientific survey it appears that the ale situation there is definately improving.

Praise the Lord. Not before time. Your good news was tempered by the realisation that it's a year since we were staying in majestic Swaledale. :(

Wittenden
02-12-2010, 16:34
Has anyone tried Black Sheep's Wooly Jumper Porter?-Leigh on the Good Stuff blog was complementary: I'd like to give it a go next time I'm in Gods Own County.

RogerB
02-12-2010, 17:01
I'd like to give it a go next time I'm in Gods Own County.
The way things are at the moment it will be weeks before you can dig your way out of the Garden of England!

rpadam
02-12-2010, 17:44
The way things are at the moment it will be weeks before you can dig your way out of the Garden of England!
I almost had to dig my way back in on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning having 'travelled' on Southeastern's new overnight sleeper service followed by easily the scariest coach journey I've ever had. Total time from Charing Cross - 9 hours!

aleandhearty
02-12-2010, 17:58
Has anyone tried Black Sheep's Wooly Jumper Porter?-Leigh on the Good Stuff blog was complementary: I'd like to give it a go next time I'm in Gods Own County.

Haven't tried it, but will certainly look out for it. My initial gut reaction was possibly a little thin at 4%?, although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. I've been meaning to suggest The Good Stuff blog to the tracker column for ages. Always a good read.

I almost had to dig my way back in on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning having 'travelled' on Southeastern's new overnight sleeper service followed by easily the scariest coach journey I've ever had. Total time from Charing Cross - 9 hours!

Buy that man a beer!

RogerB
02-12-2010, 19:49

I failed to make it into London on Tuesday and today. Not sure what went wrong on Wednesday though. I'm not confident about tomorrow either. Did have a lovely walk around the local lakes this morning though before calling in at a few hostelries to ensure that the staff and management are safe and well. One has to do their community bit during such testing situations. One thing's for sure (to keep the thread subject tenuously to hand), a black sheep wouldn't get lost around here at the moment.

Andy Ven
13-06-2011, 20:33
A book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inn-Way-Black-Sheep-Pubs/dp/1902001109/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307997417&sr=1-13) for you here, Staaly

Mark Reid has written a whole series of books about circular pub walks. This one is called The Inn Way...to Black Sheep Pubs: 25 Circular Walks in the Yorkshire Dales

Wittenden
21-06-2011, 13:17
A question for our Friends in the North:has Black Sheep upped its game? I ask, because after a weekend of dull beer, the high spot (I blush to admit) was BS Best Bitter. While it isn't my favourite beer by any stretch of the imagination, it was fresh and refreshing, and well put together. Incidentally 3 other beer drinkers on a beer rating site-not that one! rated it fairly highly this weekend.

oldboots
21-06-2011, 19:21
A question for our Friends in the North:has Black Sheep upped its game? I ask, because after a weekend of dull beer, the high spot (I blush to admit) was BS Best Bitter. While it isn't my favourite beer by any stretch of the imagination, it was fresh and refreshing, and well put together. Incidentally 3 other beer drinkers on a beer rating site-not that one! rated it fairly highly this weekend.

I haven't had any BSB for a while but it's a reasonable choice when there's nothing else or the common North Yorkshire position where its a choice of Theakstons/John Smiths or BSB. It all depends where you get it, here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58530/) or here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29388/) it's always good but like all widely sold beers you can get some real disasters.

Now Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout is worth climbing over fells to get to :D

aleandhearty
21-06-2011, 20:43

If I was being cynical, I could just say you were very,very lucky! More seriously, I don't really know. I've not had anything by Black Sheep for months, as the pubs I frequent don't touch the stuff. However, as 'ob' points out, the Impy Stout has caused quite a stir and the seasonal Woolly Jumper porter was well received. Maybe the head brewer's creative juices are flowing and recipes are being tweaked?

RogerB
21-06-2011, 22:42
Once upon a time in a galaxy far away a.k.a. the Big Smoke, Black Sheep Best was one of the default guest beers for all and sundry. Now I never see it and I actually really miss it. I will jump at the next Black Sheep Best I come across.

runningdog
22-06-2011, 07:06
Now Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout is worth climbing over fells to get to :D

In my case, more like falling over the fells I reckon:drinkup::drinkup:

Spinko
24-06-2011, 16:36
I haven't had any BSB for a while but it's a reasonable choice when there's nothing else or the common North Yorkshire position where its a choice of Theakstons/John Smiths or BSB. It all depends where you get it, here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/58530/) or here (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29388/) it's always good but like all widely sold beers you can get some real disasters.

Askrig Yorkshire Dales Brewery is doing many brews way beyond what Black Sheep, or whatever it is called now, are capable of. I despair really when people walk into a pub and order the most boring brown beer they can see, purely because it's the only one they know.

Wittenden
24-06-2011, 22:19
Askrig Yorkshire Dales Brewery is doing many brews way beyond what Black Sheep, or whatever it is called now, are capable of. I despair really when people walk into a pub and order the most boring brown beer they can see, purely because it's the only one they know.
I tend to admire rather than enjoy YDB beers,though I haven't tried all their range. I would, naturally choose them over the mafia when offered it.This pub, at least under the old dispensation, kept a fine pint of Muker Silver:Farmers Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63200/)

General Staal
27-06-2011, 19:01
A book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inn-Way-Black-Sheep-Pubs/dp/1902001109/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307997417&sr=1-13) for you here, Staaly

Mark Reid has written a whole series of books about circular pub walks. This one is called The Inn Way...to Black Sheep Pubs: 25 Circular Walks in the Yorkshire Dales

I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...

Wittenden
27-06-2011, 21:55
I am off to the Yorkshire Dales this year. I will also be off for a second pilgrimage to Whitby...

I would like to come across the magnificent Riggwelter. I haven't seen it in a pub since I visited the Bridge Inn in Pateley Bridge 4 years ago...

Three Riggwelter pubs for you, General:Punch Bowl Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65823/), Punch Bowl Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65823/) and Punch Bowl Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65823/).
I haven't been to the Red Lion for a few years now: I hope the legendary landlady is still ruling the roost!
Sorry, I cocked -up the link business. The other 2 pubs are the CB Inn at Langthwaite in Arkengarthdale, and the Red Lion, also in Langthwaite

ROBCamra
28-06-2011, 07:20

Two other places that stock Yorkshire Dales beer are North Riding Hotel in Scarborough and Bacchus Newcastle.

Last time we were in Bacchus the brewer was sat at the bar with his wife, having just delivered a van load.

gillhalfpint
28-06-2011, 10:16
Riggwelter is my favourite Black Sheep ale too. Had it in a pub in Northumberland last year. Grays Inn in Embleton. Wonderful stuff. My kind of session beer!

aleandhearty
28-06-2011, 14:52
Riggwelter is my favourite Black Sheep ale too. Had it in a pub in Northumberland last year. Grays Inn in Embleton. Wonderful stuff. My kind of session beer!

Easily my Black Sheep favourite too, but session beer! If I drank that all night I'd be a gibbering wreck.

Andy Ven
04-07-2011, 20:45

Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors are my next holiday stops too!

hondo
11-08-2011, 09:49
"The changes to the logo make it clearer and easier to see and more adaptable for branding"
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/news/details/new_fleece_of_life_for_black_sheep_logo

Wittenden
16-07-2014, 22:28
Thought I'd revive this thread in honour of our flying visit to Yorkshire tomorrow. I might well steer away from BS, but in my researches I found this nugget on the website of the Fox and Hounds in West Burton:

The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population. John Smiths Cask Bitter is always resident on our bar but is also complemented by the availability of Black Sheep Bitter which is so popular with visitors and beers from The Copper Dragon Brewery, Skipton, which are also stocked by popular demand.

Discuss.

Aqualung
16-07-2014, 22:55
As someone who has openly given national brands a hard time I will support the general gist of this thread. Black Sheep Bitter is far better than anything from the Wells stable, Doom Bore, London Pride or any of GK mainstream beers. It is not interesting but it is still a decent drink.
Riggwelter is a long time favourite whether in cask or bottle. To me it was Black Sheep Old Peculiar after the old firm sold out to S&N.

I still rate Taylor's beers but have never had a decent pint of Landlord outside of Yorkshire apart from once in a now closed pub in Peterborough.

oldboots
17-07-2014, 17:16
The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population.

It is true although maybe not so much in Wensleydale and Swaledale and remember John Smith's Smooth is the best selling keg bitter in the country.

Theakstons is also very popular although that's much better now it's brewed in Masham again. The Hambleton Ales brewery tap had to keep Theakstons Best on when it took over the pub. Black Sheep is too avant-garde for JS drinkers. BS brewery is in a less than great financial position - something Paul Theakston blames on Progressive Beer Duty.

I'm not sure where John Smiths cask is brewed, Tadcaster allegedly doesn't have the kit to brew cask beers, Hartlepool has been rumoured as the actual source.

Al 10000
17-07-2014, 17:26
I would be quite happy drinking any beer from Black Sheep,i also like John Smiths Cask and always drink beers from Copper Dragon if they are on the bar.

NickDavies
17-07-2014, 19:18
BS brewery is in a less than great financial position - something Paul Theakston blames on Progressive Beer Duty.

Indeed I note from my CMIC statement a 25% drop in share price in the last quarter. Will be interesting to see if they stick with it with £467k at stake.

aleandhearty
17-07-2014, 19:53
I found this nugget on the website of the Fox and Hounds in West Burton:

The Yorkshire Dales have traditionally been a stronghold for the beers of John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, and is still today the choice of the born and bred local population. John Smiths Cask Bitter is always resident on our bar...Discuss.

A cynical rewrite:

a) The farmhands have been drinking the stuff for donkeys years. It's a bland McBeer which they can drink a lot of before they get pissed.
b) We've been selling it for so long because we can't be bothered to research what else is being brewed out there.
c) Financial incentives from the brewery mean it's cheap.

By sheer coincidence, we'll be up in The Dales soon, staying close by. It was on my list of possible pubs to visit! Fortunately, the nearest pub to our cottage serves beers from the Yorkshire Dales Brewery.

I still rate Taylor's beers but have never had a decent pint of Landlord outside of Yorkshire apart from once in a now closed pub in Peterborough.

I think it's becoming quite hard to find a decent pint of Landlord inside Yorkshire. TBH, it's just not the same beer it was in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm not sure where John Smiths cask is brewed, Tadcaster allegedly doesn't have the kit to brew cask beers, Hartlepool has been rumoured as the actual source.

I've heard it's brewed in Hartlepool, as well.

Aqualung
17-07-2014, 20:39
I think it's becoming quite hard to find a decent pint of Landlord inside Yorkshire. TBH, it's just not the same beer it was in the 80s and early 90s.

I always found it reliable in their tied houses, I don't think I ever had anything but brilliant pints in all of them.
I haven't been to a Taylor's pub for over twenty years now. I went to one in York fifteen or so years ago but it seemed like it had become a free house.
I'll be revisiting one of their pubs next month so it will be very interesting to see what I make of the pub and the beer after all that time!

My first encounter with TT beers was in 1976 and it was almost a life changing moment.

Wittenden
20-07-2014, 19:04
A cynical rewrite:

a) The farmhands have been drinking the stuff for donkeys years. It's a bland McBeer which they can drink a lot of before they get pissed.
b) We've been selling it for so long because we can't be bothered to research what else is being brewed out there.
c) Financial incentives from the brewery mean it's cheap.

By sheer coincidence, we'll be up in The Dales soon, staying close by. It was on my list of possible pubs to visit! Fortunately, the nearest pub to our cottage serves beers from the Yorkshire Dales Brewery.

I've heard it's brewed in Hartlepool, as well.

Don't let the website put you off-it's a grand pub, the focus of some good walks, and we hope to go there in October.Incidentally, the Gunnerside King's Head has the builders in and is due to reopen in September.We've booked our cottage in anticipation!
Just been in the Dales briefly:beer of the weekend-Yorkshire Dales Buttertubs.As with most of their beers, really flavoursome.

aleandhearty
21-07-2014, 22:31
Don't let the website put you off-it's a grand pub, the focus of some good walks, and we hope to go there in October.Incidentally, the Gunnerside King's Head has the builders in and is due to reopen in September.We've booked our cottage in anticipation!
Just been in the Dales briefly:beer of the weekend-Yorkshire Dales Buttertubs.As with most of their beers, really flavoursome.

I've no doubt we'll be visiting the Fox & Hounds sometime next week, as we plan to do plenty of walking. News of the King's Head reopening made my Mrs' day. Definitely one of her favourite Dales pubs. Your mention of the Buttertubs has been duly noted. If we come across it on our travels I'll feel obliged to buy her a pint, as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!

ROBCamra
22-07-2014, 06:56
as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!

Really!!! :eek: She's madder than she looks is your missus.

Wittenden
22-07-2014, 08:03
as she was once mad enough to cycle through the pass, on her own, in the middle of winter!

That's Yorkshire for you!

aleandhearty
22-07-2014, 12:14
Really!!! :eek: She's madder than she looks is your missus.

:D Can't argue with that.

Wittenden
19-06-2019, 18:38
Reading about the business with York Brewery, I found this on the Black Sheep website:https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/news/a-new-breed-of-pale-ale-from-black-sheep/
Is this a resurrection of the emetically named, but quite drinkable,BaaBaa? The question is, will those pubs that resolutely offer Black Sheep AND Theakstone's Best stock it? Yes, pubs of the Dales, I'm thinking of you!

Aqualung
19-06-2019, 20:50

Mobyduck
20-06-2019, 05:35

?

Aqualung
20-06-2019, 06:27
?

I thought this was a new thread and replied to the original post in error which seemed irrelevant. The gist was that I don't mind Black Sheep.

sheffield hatter
20-06-2019, 06:49
?

!

london calling
20-06-2019, 20:21
I think Black Sheep brew poor beer and am proud of it.So there.

oldboots
20-06-2019, 20:26
it usually doesn't matter what the beer is, they all have that peculiar (:D) "Black Sheep taste" . I wonder if Centurion's Ghost will have that flavour when brewed in Masham, Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout certainly does.

Mobyduck
20-06-2019, 20:53
!

Can't find the like button. :D