PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 11th August 2019)

ROBCamra
11-08-2019, 18:28
:cheers:

Wittenden
11-08-2019, 22:25
Kent

Ramsgate Brewery (Gadds'):Black Pearl Oyster Stout-6.2%abv .Inspirational.Good for body and soul.Apricots. Taken at noon at The Black Dog (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81509/)

Thuck Phat
12-08-2019, 07:13
This week:

Wander Beyond Mini Strawberry Shake (keg)*
The Kernel IPA Citra (keg)*
Oakham Bishops Farewell*
Hop Back Summer Lightening*
Stella Artois

Mostly good and whilst the IPA Citra went down well BOTW goes to Wander Beyond Mini Strawberry Shake. As described by my daughter as a beery strawberry milkshake which at 3% was ideal for a raging thirst.

Bucking Fastard
12-08-2019, 07:13
Harlow and Croydon.

Mc Mullens -- AK
Mc Mullens -- IPA
Saltaire -- Cascade *
Oakham -- Inferno *
Arbor -- C Bomb (keg)

BOTW from a limited range goes to Saltaire Cascade on fine form until the top bar in The George (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35541/) ran out of staff.:moremad:

Next week heading south on the Shropshire Union after a session in rural Hertfordshire.

hondo
12-08-2019, 08:00
Alechemy - Charisma

Mobyduck
12-08-2019, 12:59
Quality beer week in London, Brighton & Hove, Winchester and surrounding areas.

Roosters Highway 51*
Roosters Baby Faced Assassin*
Angels & Demons Bombay Social*
Grey Trees Afghan Pale
Binghams Vanilla Stout
Tiny Rebel Super Sharp Shooter*
Tap East APA*
Flowerpots Perridge Pale*
Big Smoke Solaris*
Anspach & Hobday Belgian Pale*
Guinness Hophouse 13
Peroni Nastro Azzurro
Unity Conflux
Red Cat Prowler
Hopback Summer Lighteniing
Dorking Washington Gold
Vibrant Forest Ekunot*
Double Barreled Peach Berliner Weisse*
Cloudwater Hoppy Little Lager
Dark Star Hophead
Burnt Mill Lemondrop Fog*
Two Tribes Electric Circus
Oakham Citra*
Vibrant Forest Pupa*

A really tough choice between Roosters Baby Faced Assassin , Vibrant Forest Pupa and Tiny Rebel Super Sharp Shooter but I will go with the Tiny Rebel beer ,tip top (as it should be) at the GBBF (https://gbbf.org.uk/)

trainman
12-08-2019, 14:58
Quality beer week in London, Brighton & Hove, Winchester and surrounding areas.[/URL]
I see you are still on a gentle upslope Mick, keep up the softly softly approach and you'll be firing on all cylinders soon enough...

trainman
12-08-2019, 15:03
Saltaire Cascade on fine form until the top bar in The George (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35541/) ran out of staff.:moremad:.
That's scandalous, and the top bar was closed completely on my last visit - I presume the pub as changed management for this sort of chaos to now be happening.
Saltaire Cascade, though, was my beer of choice this year to send ahead in the car for holiday refreshment. I am now reunited with it in Faucon, and shall be opening a bottle, well, now...

Mobyduck
12-08-2019, 15:53
I see you are still on a gentle upslope Mick, keep up the softly softly approach and you'll be firing on all cylinders soon enough...

Not sure the pocket can take much more.

Aqualung
12-08-2019, 18:17
A few days in Macclesfield and a jdw free week although some of the people in the Redwillow bar were far more scary than any daytime brigade.

Oakham Endless Summer 3.4%
Parkway Session IPA 4.2%
Newby Wyke H145 Kingston Topaz 4.2%
Robinson's Unicorn 4.2%
Acorn Old Moor Porter 4.4%
Redwillow Wreckless 4.8%
Kelham Island Pint Break 5.0%
Redwillow Shameless IPA 5.9%
Orval (Bottle) 6.2%
Fell Tinderbox IPA 6.2%

It's a close run between the Redwillow Shameless IPA and the Fell Tinderbox IPA. The Shameless just gets it and although the TV screen said £4.00 I was charged three different prices!

BOTW Redwillow Shameless IPA

Aqualung
12-08-2019, 18:26
Not sure the pocket can take much more.

I'm not surprised, how much is the GBBF nowadays and was it a hot day? I stopped going back in the 1990s due to Olympia being like a greenhouse which warmed the beer up too much and the exorbitant cost. I also found the so called entertainment was a complete pain.

Mobyduck
12-08-2019, 22:33
I'm not surprised, how much is the GBBF nowadays and was it a hot day? I stopped going back in the 1990s due to Olympia being like a greenhouse which warmed the beer up too much and the exorbitant cost. I also found the so called entertainment was a complete pain.

No it wasn't too hot this year though I have been to some scorchers, the prices in general were around average London pub prices, about £4.40 -£4.60 a pint depending on what you were drinking. I tend to go to this only once every three years or so.

Bucking Fastard
13-08-2019, 08:12
That's scandalous, and the top bar was closed completely on my last visit - I presume the pub as changed management for this sort of chaos to now be happening.

I hope it's a case of a holiday relief manager not up to scratch,as I didn't notice any of the regular (and long standing) team anywhere inside.

However if there has been a permanent change of management and this sort of malarky continues,any closure of the top bar will see a sudden decamp elsewhere,unless there is something decent on at the lower bar.

Aqualung
13-08-2019, 09:14
However if there has been a permanent change of management and this sort of malarky continues,any closure of the top bar will see a sudden decamp elsewhere,unless there is something decent on at the lower bar.

I've been to the George early doors and the top bar didn't open until midday (I think).

aleandhearty
13-08-2019, 10:56
Not a bad week, with a couple of interesting new beers I'd not come across before.

Little Critters - Little Hopper.
Oakham - Citra.*
Robinsons - Dizzy Blonde.
Titanic - Plum Porter.*
Saltaire - Waimea.
Wilde Child - Eastern Promises.*
Small World - Thunderbridge Stout.
Castle Rock - Session IPA 2.0 v1.7.
North Riding - Cascade.*
Tigertops - EM Band.*
Oakham - Black Hole.
Three Brothers - DDH Pale.
Kelham Island - Pint of View.

Really enjoyed the Eastern Promises and the EM Band. I've found some Tigertops beers a little disappointing, of late, but the EM Band had that lovely lingering bitterness that I associate with the brewery's better beers.