PDA

View Full Version : 2019 AUTUMN PUG Crawl

Aqualung
23-06-2019, 22:38
I'll soon be booking advance tickets for September so I'm starting this one off. There is a plethora of other places from previous discussions but I'm going for Loughborough and Stourbridge, both towns that have increased their credentials over the last couple of years.

oldboots
24-06-2019, 11:55
I think I'll be gone by 2919 !

Well there's no argument it's the turn of the Midlands (depending on how defined :evilgrin: ); the usual date is around the second/third Friday in November, which would be the 15th this year although last year it was October.

The last poll for the Midlands was http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27452-Venue-for-Summer-2018-Crawl when Loughborough tied for second place with Newark, Lichfield and Norwich tied for third, Stourbridge was joint last along with Stamford and Bridgnorth. I've been to all those except Norwich and wouldn't be unhappy with any of them.

Other towns I suppose we might consider would be Northampton, Kettering(!), Grantham, Cambridge even Peterborough?

AlanH
24-06-2019, 12:19

Well there's no argument it's the turn of the Midlands (depending on how defined :evilgrin: ); the usual date is around the second/third Friday in November, which would be the 15th this year although last year it was October.

The last poll for the Midlands was http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27452-Venue-for-Summer-2018-Crawl when Loughborough tied for second place with Newark, Lichfield and Norwich tied for third, Stourbridge was joint last along with Stamford and Bridgnorth. I've been to all those except Norwich and wouldn't be unhappy with any of them.

Other towns I suppose we might consider would be Northampton, Kettering(!), Grantham, Cambridge even Peterborough?

Here we go again!

Shurley Cambridge is in the South. Much further South than last years "border" town Peterborough!

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 12:29

Oh dear, I missed that? I wonder if someone could correct it as I don't think I can.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 12:36
Here we go again!

Shurley Cambridge is in the South. Much further South than last years "border" town Peterborough!

Hasn't Cambridge been considered for the South? I would call it South as it's in Southern Cambs.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 12:40

My overriding impression of Northampton was that ir was very expensive. Do Kettering and Grantham have enough of interest?

aleandhearty
24-06-2019, 12:43
Oh dear, I missed that? I wonder if someone could correct it as I don't think I can.

Finally managed to do it. I'm a bit rusty!

Bucking Fastard
24-06-2019, 13:40
My overriding impression of Northampton was that ir was very expensive. Do Kettering and Grantham have enough of interest?

I don't know anything about Kettering or Grantham,but Northampton is familiar territory and it's never felt anymore expensive that other south Midland towns.There are quite a few pubs worth a visit but if you want to complete all the GBG listed ones there's a fair bit of walking to do.

oldboots
24-06-2019, 13:48
Here we go again!

gosh that didn't take long.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 17:32
Northampton is familiar territory and it's never felt anymore expensive that other south Midland towns.There are quite a few pubs worth a visit but if you want to complete all the GBG listed ones there's a fair bit of walking to do.

I had to go back to my reviews as it was over 4 years ago that I went there. I was charged £4.20 for Old Growler in the Wig & Pen and £4.25 for Nene Valley Big Bang in the Lamplighter. To me that's expensive today let alone 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure nearby Rugby and Leicester weren't like that.
I remember the long distances involved. Norwich has the same problem but probably on an even bigger scale.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 17:33
Finally managed to do it. I'm a bit rusty!

Thanks!

rpadam
24-06-2019, 18:29
Hasn't Cambridge been considered for the South? I would call it South as it's in Southern Cambs.

gosh that didn't take long.
According to GeographyGalore, Cambridge is in the East!

Real Ale Ray
24-06-2019, 18:49
Mrs Ale here - having been to Grantham quite a few years ago, it's not somewhere I'd rush back to, the Spoons was about the best pub there - maybe it's changed since then! Thought Northampton was excellent with a good variety of decent pubs, didn't find it that expensive though...

oldboots
24-06-2019, 20:33
Just a reminder that Kidderminster and Lincoln were also in the 2018 poll and Ludlow has been mooted previously, all good drinking towns in my experience although not all easy to reach.

oldboots
24-06-2019, 20:43
Mrs Ale here - having been to Grantham quite a few years ago, it's not somewhere I'd rush back to, the Spoons was about the best pub there - maybe it's changed since then! Thought Northampton was excellent with a good variety of decent pubs, didn't find it that expensive though...

Grantham has only four GBG2019 pubs but I can't comment on the quality or on any others there may be, the town apart the the obvious mark of Cain does have good rail connections. I notice Louth has 6 GBG2019 pubs but it's murder to get to and probably not in the Midlands anyway :whistle:

A further idea, if transport allowed, might be a combination of Leamington Spa, Warwick and Kenilworth, just brain storming ideas here not thought through recommendations.

AlanH
24-06-2019, 21:24
Just a reminder that Kidderminster and Lincoln were also in the 2018 poll and Ludlow has been mooted previously, all good drinking towns in my experience although not all easy to reach.

Also Shrewsbury has been listed before. Larger and easier to get to than Ludlow (but Ludlow fine for me!)

Stafford was also suggested for Summer 2019 (but relegated to the Midlands)

AlanH
24-06-2019, 21:56
I notice Louth has 6 GBG2019 pubs but it's murder to get to

Gosh, I had to search for Louth. I thought the only place more difficult than Lincoln to get to was Skegness, but at least that has a station! Louth is 5 hours 14 minutes walk from the nearest! :sick:

rpadam
24-06-2019, 22:26
Gosh, I had to search for Louth. I thought the only place more difficult than Lincoln to get to was Skegness, but at least that has a station! Louth is 5 hours 14 minutes walk from the nearest! :sick:
I was in Louth (briefly) on Friday - it’s certainly an interesting place with a number of decent pubs, but an absolute pig to get to on what’s left of public transport in East Lincolnshire. Both Lincoln and Skegness are a piece of cake in comparison!

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 22:52
I notice Louth has 6 GBG2019 pubs but it's murder to get to and probably not in the Midlands anyway :whistle:

Louth like other Lincolnshire towns is a nightmare to get to. I think I got a bus from Grimsby.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 23:00
oldboots;101181A further idea, if transport allowed, might be a combination of Leamington Spa, Warwick and Kenilworth, just brain storming ideas here not thought through recommendations.
IMO Warwick and Leamington are not that great. Is Kenilworth near Rugby? I've never been there.

Aqualung
24-06-2019, 23:08
Also Shrewsbury has been listed before. Larger and easier to get to than Ludlow (but Ludlow fine for me!)

I don't think Ludlow has enough options. I'm happy to go there and stick to the Ludlow Tap. Shrewsbury probably has enough but some good outlying options and some steep hills.

Pangolin
25-06-2019, 10:07
I'm assuming the obvious cities have been excluded as having been done before. Of the places mentioned so far Kidderminster, Northampton and Grantham are probably my favourites - plus Norwich if that is deemed Mldlands. I'd rule out Peterborough as not enough decent central pubs.

sheffield hatter
25-06-2019, 21:23
Do Kettering and Grantham have enough of interest?

No

Of the places mentioned so far Kidderminster, Northampton and Grantham are probably my favourites

Getting to either can lead to some complicated train connections.

plus Norwich if that is deemed Mldlands. I'd rule out Peterborough as not enough decent central pubs.

Norwich would be good.

sheffield hatter
25-06-2019, 21:27
According to GeographyGalore, Cambridge is in the East!

Yes, and not even East Midlands. It's a bugger to get to unless you've got a very good reason.

sheffield hatter
25-06-2019, 21:29
A further idea, if transport allowed, might be a combination of Leamington Spa, Warwick and Kenilworth, just brain storming ideas here not thought through recommendations.

I've been thinking of doing something like that by myself. Not sure how the travelling would pan out with a load of drunkards. Present company excepted, of course.

Leamington Spa is on the Cross Country trains network, which makes it easy to get to from Birmingham and Reading, for example. There are trains Leamington-Warwick (approx. half hourly and takes five minutes) and Leamington-Kenilworth (hourly), but not Warwick-Kenilworth, though I assume there's a bus service.

sheffield hatter
25-06-2019, 21:38
I don't think Ludlow has enough options. I'm happy to go there and stick to the Ludlow Tap.

Looks like we need to find somewhere with a good town bus service. Is there anywhere still like that?

Bucking Fastard
26-06-2019, 09:20
IMO Warwick and Leamington are not that great. Is Kenilworth near Rugby? I've never been there.

I would agree that Leamington is disappointing ,and limited in the number of good pubs so Warwick is the normal stopping place when in the area,but that too wouldn't on it's own support a PuG extravaganza.No knowledge of Kenilworth.

Has Newark been thrown into the mix ?

sheffield hatter
26-06-2019, 10:03

Not until now, no. Though I think it has been suggested before - can't remember how it lost out in the polling process. For a smallish town it's got a lot of decent pubs, if I recall correctly. No hills and not really a huge amount of walking. Train connections are also pretty good.

Wittenden
26-06-2019, 11:09
I would agree that Leamington is disappointing ,and limited in the number of good pubs so Warwick is the normal stopping place when in the area,but that too wouldn't on it's own support a PuG extravaganza.No knowledge of Kenilworth.

For what 's worth,'Philip Pirrip' at pubsandbeer.co.uk is a regular denizen of the more beer focussed pubs in Newark.Only one I've been to is Prince Rupert.

Bucking Fastard
26-06-2019, 12:03
Not until now, no. Though I think it has been suggested before - can't remember how it lost out in the polling process. For a smallish town it's got a lot of decent pubs, if I recall correctly. No hills and not really a huge amount of walking. Train connections are also pretty good.

It does tick a lot of boxes,probably the longest walk is from the ECML station to your pub(s) of choice.

oldboots
26-06-2019, 14:42

Post #2

Stripping out the geography arguments etc, the list (mainly dis'd) of suggestions is so far:

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Stamford
Bridgnorth
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Kidderminster
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth as one.

sheffield hatter
27-06-2019, 00:02
Post #2

Stripping out the geography arguments etc, the list (mainly dis'd) of suggestions is so far:

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Stamford
Bridgnorth
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Kidderminster
Lincoln
Shrewsbury

Nice job putting that lot together!

I've been to all of those bar Stourbridge, Stamford and the united boroughs of Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth. (The last named having had their credentials quite severely questioned above, so I wouldn't want to put them forward for a group crawl, though may still do it myself.)

I would say that there are travel objections that could be raised with regards to most of these - we are talking, after all, about some of the smaller towns in the midlands and (in the cases of Peterborough, Cambridge, Norwich, Stamford and Lincoln) places that are usually considered to be in the East rather than the Midlands (#geographygalore).

I've never done a proper visit to Shrewsbury, i.e. one that is purely for the purpose of visiting a large number of pubs, so would like to take that one on.

I tend to agree with others that (in my experience) the following are a bit short of a reasonable number of decent pubs for a visit of our sort: Loughborough, Lichfield, Bridgnorth, Kettering, Grantham, Peterborough (without doing quite a bit of walking), Ludlow, Kidderminster.

I'm inclined to think that, transport objections put to one side for a minute, the cathedral cities of Norwich, Lincoln and Peterborough would be suitable targets. The more easily accessible towns of Shrewsbury, Northampton and Newark could also be worthy of consideration. (I think somebody made the case for Stourbridge in another thread or possibly this one, so I would be grateful if someone could link to it or repeat the argument in response.)

So how about whittling the list down to these seven for a poll:

Lincoln
Newark
Northampton
Norwich
Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge

Pangolin
27-06-2019, 00:44

Lincoln
Newark
Northampton
Norwich
Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge

I'd still say Peterborough is too scattered to find good pubs, and doubt that there are sufficient in Stourbridge for a decent PuG crawl, but I am fairly happy with the others. And hopefully not needed, but note there are day bus tickets available for between £4.40 and £5 for Lincoln, Northampton, Norwich and Shrewsbury (oh alright - and Peterborough, but would definitely be needed there).

oldboots
27-06-2019, 09:04
(oh alright - and Peterborough, but would definitely be needed there).

Absolutely a necessity for Stanground and Werrington, and useful for the two or three pubs up Oundle Rd, the others are fairly central. A bus will be needed for the big hill in Lincoln by some and possibly in Shrewsbury, Newark North Gate station is a bit out of town too as mentioned before.

sheffield hatter
27-06-2019, 10:10
Newark North Gate station is a bit out of town too as mentioned before.

Half a mile to the Fox & Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30724/).

sheffield hatter
27-06-2019, 10:14
A bus will be needed for the big hill in Lincoln.

Luckily, there is just such a bus: https://lincolnbus.co.uk/special-services/walk-and-ride - (sometimes called the 'Steep Hill Shuttle' or the 'Castle Shuttle')

Bucking Fastard
27-06-2019, 10:51

Lincoln
Newark
Northampton
Norwich
Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge

Happy enough with these suggestions,but a poll can contain 14 options ,so your list could be expanded if anyone felt some names from oldboots original "long list" are worthy of being part of the poll.

AlanH
27-06-2019, 16:27
Happy enough with these suggestions,but a poll can contain 14 options ,so your list could be expanded if anyone felt some names from oldboots original "long list" are worthy of being part of the poll.

From the "long" and the "short" lists. Kidderminster & Stourbridge double (7 miles apart).

Tris39
27-06-2019, 19:44
Here we go again!

But Hereford is south of Cambridge and it's definitely in the Midlands. Hmmm...

Bucking Fastard
27-06-2019, 19:50
From the "long" and the "short" lists. Kidderminster & Stourbridge double (7 miles apart).

Seems like a regular train service between the two.

Bucking Fastard
27-06-2019, 19:54
But Hereford is south of Cambridge and it's definitely in the Midlands. Hmmm...

Never been to Hereford,how does it stack up from a pub crawl point of view ?

rpadam
27-06-2019, 19:58
And hopefully not needed, but note there are day bus tickets available for between £4.40 and £5 for Lincoln, Northampton, Norwich and Shrewsbury (oh alright - and Peterborough, but would definitely be needed there).
PlusBus tickets are available for between £3.20 and £3.80 for those cities.

oldboots
27-06-2019, 20:48
Seems like a regular train service between the two.

You do need to change at Stourbridge Junction and get on a rattletrap tramcar into Stourbridge proper, although that is a fairly regular service it is a bit cramped.

Mobyduck
27-06-2019, 21:10
Here we go again!

South Midlands, almost level with Northampton.

rpadam
27-06-2019, 22:41
Ho, ho, the mythic South Midlands again...

AlanH
27-06-2019, 23:22
You do need to change at Stourbridge Junction and get on a rattletrap tramcar into Stourbridge proper, although that is a fairly regular service it is a bit cramped.

A three minute journey time, runs every ten minutes.

Pangolin
27-06-2019, 23:44
PlusBus tickets are available for between £3.20 and £3.80 for those cities.

That's only if you are travelling in by rail - no use if you are already there.

AlanH
27-06-2019, 23:48

A good place to drink, but being further South than Bedford, I propose it for the next Southern crawl! :p

Tris39
28-06-2019, 18:27

I've been many times for shopping and to visit the cathedral, notable for the world-famous Mappa Mundi and Chained Library, but I've never been to a pub as I've always been driving.

Pangolin
28-06-2019, 19:41
A good place to drink, but being further South than Bedford, I propose it for the next Southern crawl! :p

Leaving aside questions of latitude, Hereford/Herefordshire is firmly in the West Midlands Region according to government (ducks behind sofa)

Tris39
28-06-2019, 19:53
Leaving aside questions of latitude, Hereford/Herefordshire is firmly in the West Midlands Region according to government (ducks behind sofa)

Yup. Certainly is. And so is the sofa if you have one in this fine county.

rpadam
28-06-2019, 20:19

And there again, its station is managed by Transport for Wales...

Spinko
29-06-2019, 06:48
I probably don't post here enough to have influence on these matters but Shrewsbury is a good call. Potential for additional trips to Caersws, Welshpool and Newtown on adjacent days

Mobyduck
29-06-2019, 07:54
I probably don't post here enough to have influence on these matters but Shrewsbury is a good call. Potential for additional trips to Caersws, Welshpool and Newtown on adjacent days

All input is worthy.

rpadam
29-06-2019, 08:53
Caersws is a brave call - only one of the pubs was open the day I stopped there!

Spinko
29-06-2019, 09:58
Caersws is a brave call - only one of the pubs was open the day I stopped there!

Great chippy and still the smallest town to have played competitive football in Europe, I think..

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 12:10

I think Shrewsbury has been mentioned before and I think it has enough to make it a viable option. Iy also gas a Premier Inn near the Rail Station and overlooking the Bus Station. There are other good options for the adjacent days, Ludlow, Ruabon, Nantwich or on a Saturday the Salopian Brewery Tap.

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 12:28

I don't think it has enough options. I went there to visit the Spoons and also visited the original home of Wye Valley Brewery and a micropub. I didn't feel I was missing out on much. Midlands or South? It's West but as there are just three categories I'd place it in the midlands. It's roughly on the same level as Worcester and Banbury which are surely Midland towns.

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 12:38

It gets Anglia television but I've always thought of it as South due to the train links to London and the fact that the Essex and Herts borders are not very far away,

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 12:46
Post #2

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Stamford
Bridgnorth
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Kidderminster
Lincoln
Shrewsbury

Only Ludlow and Kenilworth do not have JDWs but I've been to Ludlow twice. I couldn't even tell you exactly where Kenilworth is!

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 12:57

Lincoln
Newark
Northampton
Norwich
Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge

I've been away while these discussions have been going on but has the omission of Loughborough from this list been justified?

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 13:07

I met a friend in Stourbridge who attempted to drink a coffee on the "bone shaker". Black Country Ales are opening a second pub which is near the Junction. Personally I think Stourbridge has enough options to make it viable alone.

oldboots
29-06-2019, 14:39
It's roughly on the same level as Worcester and Banbury which are surely Midland towns.

GEOGRAPHY WARNING! one needs to be careful when comparing things on a map as UK maps are not drawn with true north exactly at the top, true north is more diagonally to the left, better to check the latitude of a place.

It's much more noticeable when trying to compare relative East/West positions, try out the longitudes for Bristol, Carlisle and Edinburgh, you may be surprised by which is the most westerly.

oldboots
29-06-2019, 14:44
Are we ready for a poll yet? Either the seven suggested by Will in post 32 or 14 from the list of 17 in post 31.

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 15:29
Are we ready for a poll yet? Either the seven suggested by Will in post 32 or 14 from the list of 17 in post 31.

I'd go with the maximum then nobody can feel hard done by. The least attractive options will fall away. If there's a tie for the top slot then a vote off will be needed.

Aqualung
29-06-2019, 15:35
It's much more noticeable when trying to compare relative East/West positions, try out the longitudes for Bristol, Carlisle and Edinburgh, you may be surprised by which is the most westerly.

I know it's not Bristol, it could be Edinburgh as the train travels quite a distance West along the Firth to get there.

Tris39
29-06-2019, 20:05
It's roughly on the same level as Worcester and Banbury which are surely Midland towns.

Half in, half out: Worcester[shire] is in the West Midlands, but Banbury is in Oxfordshire which isn't a Midlands county. I don't think...

AlanH
29-06-2019, 20:10
I know it's not Bristol, it could be Edinburgh as the train travels quite a distance West along the Firth to get there.

A regular pub quiz night question:- "Which is most westerly, Bristol on the West coast or Edinburgh on the East? The answer is obviously Edinburgh by the fact that they have asked!

Aqualung
30-06-2019, 13:58
Half in, half out: Worcester[shire] is in the West Midlands, but Banbury is in Oxfordshire which isn't a Midlands county. I don't think...

I used to know someone from Banbury and he always described it as the Midlands. Despite being in Oxfordshire the Northants border is on the Eastern edge of the town and the Warwickshire border is only a few miles to the North.

AlanH
30-06-2019, 22:13
I'd go with the maximum then nobody can feel hard done by. The least attractive options will fall away. If there's a tie for the top slot then a vote off will be needed.

I agree with voting for the maximum. More democratic. If two or three people can whittle it down to seven then they might as well as whittle it down to one and tell us where we are going.:rolleyes:

Aqualung
30-06-2019, 22:28
I agree with voting for the maximum. More democratic. If two or three people can whittle it down to seven then they might as well as whittle it down to one and tell us where we are going.:rolleyes:

Fair point. I remember the poll max being extended some time ago but don't remember the details.

oldboots
01-07-2019, 14:44
Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested, so which ones are the real no-hopers and does anyone want to add anywhere else? (I'll regret saying that won't I?)

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Kidderminster
Bridgnorth
Stamford
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Lincoln
Shrewsbury

My feeling would be to drop the East Anglian cities (Norwich & Cambridge) and probably Ludlow too. Bridgnorth and Kidderminster are linked by rail but it's a heritage one and fearsomely expensive for just travelling on so I would drop Bridgnorth too. Those four towns are more difficult to travel to.

rpadam
01-07-2019, 19:23
Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested

Personally I think Stourbridge has enough options to make it viable alone.
I'm with Aqualung on this.

Tris39
01-07-2019, 20:25
I used to know someone from Banbury and he always described it as the Midlands. Despite being in Oxfordshire the Northants border is on the Eastern edge of the town and the Warwickshire border is only a few miles to the North.

I used to know someone from Long Eaton who described it as the North, even though Nottingham, five miles to the north-east, is called The Queen of the Midlands.

Here's the 17 or sixteen if we link Kidderminster and Stourbridge as suggested, so which ones are the real no-hopers and does anyone want to add anywhere else? (I'll regret saying that won't I?)

My feeling would be to drop the East Anglian cities (Norwich & Cambridge) and probably Ludlow too. Bridgnorth and Kidderminster are linked by rail but it's a heritage one and fearsomely expensive for just travelling on so I would drop Bridgnorth too. Those four towns are more difficult to travel to.

On reflection, Ludlow is probably not a good idea. According to CAMRA, about a third don't open until at least 4.00pm which would mean a lot of doubling back to fit in enough pubs in a town with not that many. It's also very hilly too.

Delboy20
01-07-2019, 20:41
I'm with Aqualung on this.

If nobody objects I'll offer my opinion as I know Stourbridge pretty well:

Barbridge (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83571/), The Duke William (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38626/), The Chequers Inn (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69469/),Red House Boutique (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38641/), The Old Bank (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84391/), The Waggon & Horses (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38704/), Plough & Harrow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38667/), The Queens Head (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38672/), The Royal Exchange (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38682/),

These are the pick of the pubs beer wise that are in the Stourbridge Central area - there are a few others which are OK as well.

If you do go to Stourbridge the number 9 bus would get you to Lye in 12 minutes (they run every 10 minutes or so) where you could take in :

Wheelie Thirsty (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86722/), Sadler's Brewhouse & Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83082/), Windsor Castle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65583/), The Shovel Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38686/) and possibly the new Beat Ales Tap House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87841/)

You can get the train back to Brum from Lye as well.

I am not trying to persuade anyone, just thought I would offer my opinion!!

Wherever you go you will have a good day.

Del.

Quinno
01-07-2019, 20:49

Loughborough
Stourbridge
Stamford
Kettering

All of those appeal to me.

AlanH
01-07-2019, 21:39

I agree with dropping Cambridge (suburb of London) and Norwich (suburb of Warsaw). If Stourbridge is that good, Kidderminster could be a wildcard to make it better still. Ludlow easy to get to but perhaps better on my own on a Saturday. East Coast main line all no hopers for me.

Aqualung
01-07-2019, 23:29
I agree with dropping Cambridge (suburb of London) and Norwich (suburb of Warsaw). If Stourbridge is that good, Kidderminster could be a wildcard to make it better still. Ludlow easy to get to but perhaps better on my own on a Saturday. East Coast main line all no hopers for me.

I think Cambridge should be dropped simply because it appeared on the last South poll. Bridgnorth has been deemed (probably correctly) as being too remote for a day out and Ludlow seems to have too few options. I've no objection to Stourbridge & Kidderminster being an option but it doesn't get my support.

Mobyduck
02-07-2019, 06:46
I think Cambridge should be included because it's not in the South.

Pangolin
03-07-2019, 01:47

Seeing as we're never all going to agree on this one, how about adding a fourth group of 'Other' to the existing South/Midlands/North rotation, to include places such as East Anglia, Wales, West Country which don't easily fall into any of them? Assuming we continue with 3 per year, this would have the added benefit of moving the season back one each year, so we wouldn't always end up in the North in winter etc.

Just a thought, as it seems a shame to omit places like Cambridge and Norwich which would undoubtedly provide a good crawl just because we can't decide where to put them!

AlanH
03-07-2019, 08:15

I agree with Aqualung that it should be excluded as it was in last year's Southern vote. Of course it all depends where you live. Last year "we" were trying to put Peterborough in the South and this year Cambridge in the Midlands.
Perhaps we should divide the country into three equal parts (maybe by county) and call them A, B &C! Let the next argument begin! 🙃

sheffield hatter
03-07-2019, 12:30
.. it seems a shame to omit places like Cambridge and Norwich which would undoubtedly provide a good crawl just because we can't decide where to put them!

Surely the reason we can never agree on Cambridge or Norwich is that the railway connections from the vast majority of the country are so poor.

oldboots
03-07-2019, 12:54
Surely the reason we can never agree on Cambridge or Norwich is that the railway connections from the vast majority of the country are so poor.

Agreed but it's not too bad at 2 1/2 or even 3 1/2 hours from Leeds with one change but not so good at 3 1/2 hours plus from Sheffield, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool or Southampton, it's a bit long and from where ever it's pricey. Either place would be an overnight stay for most people although Norwich deserves at least two days. I'd leave East Anglia out for a single day trip, same for much of Wales and the South West.

oldboots
03-07-2019, 13:18
Just to add some perspective:

From Leeds, only Loughborough, Grantham, Newark and Peterborough are under 2 hours travel by train (one way & on the over priced ECML), Bridgnorth of course has no Network Rail connection.

The others listed (bar Bridgnorth and Norwich) are roughly 2 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours each way, not a problem for me as most would be planned as an overnight in any case. Some may be compelled to rule out anywhere with over 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way travel.

Aqualung
03-07-2019, 22:44

You're the only one making this claim and I'm not entirely sure if it's just a wind up. The fact it was in a South poll must exclude it otherwise all sense of fair play goes out the window.

Mobyduck
04-07-2019, 06:44
You're the only one making this claim and I'm not entirely sure if it's just a wind up.
:D Yes and no,It's East Anglia.

ETA
04-07-2019, 08:11

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Kidderminster
Bridgnorth
Stamford
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Lincoln
Shrewsbury

Why did we rule out Stafford? And has anyone suggested Telford, or is that too spread out?

oldboots
04-07-2019, 08:35
Why did we rule out Stafford? And has anyone suggested Telford, or is that too spread out?

TELFORD!!! :confused: you're having a laugh.

Do you mean Oakengates? or Wellington? or both?

We haven't ruled out Stafford no one suggested it until now.

Erratta: My apologies I see Stafford was suggested in post #16 and should have been on the long list.

Aqualung
04-07-2019, 08:55

We haven't ruled out Stafford no one suggested it until now.

Telford Central has a second rate Spoons and that's it. you're right, Wellington to Wolverhampton has been done.
I think Stafford is a good option. The new BOD could probably be included as the bus stop is right outside the Project William Titanic pub.

oldboots
04-07-2019, 10:00
Well we now have 20

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Stamford
Bridgnorth
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Kidderminster
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Hereford
Stafford
Wellington/Oakengates/ other part(s) of Telford new town.

sheffield hatter
04-07-2019, 21:11
Well we now have 20.

Good grief!

How about two pools of ten, each play each other, then the top four play the top four in the other group in reverse alphabetical order and then there's a final at Lord's between Norwich and Cambridge. :evilgrin:

It's lucky that this discussion started so early, we're actually now further away from a decision than we were two weeks ago. I suggest fisticuffs in Sheffield on Friday week. That should do it.

Aqualung
04-07-2019, 21:42
Well we now have 20

Loughborough
Newark
Lichfield
Norwich
Stourbridge
Stamford
Bridgnorth
Northampton
Kettering
Grantham
Cambridge
Peterborough
Ludlow
Kidderminster
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Hereford
Stafford
Wellington/Oakengates/ other part(s) of Telford new town.

Two of these should not be there, Wellington etc has already been done and Cambridge was in a South poll. It doesn't matter where it is, it's been classified as South.

oldboots
05-07-2019, 08:37
Two of these should not be there, Wellington etc has already been done and Cambridge was in a South poll. It doesn't matter where it is, it's been classified as South.

The list is merely the places people have suggested, nothing has been ruled out or ruled in yet (until we have a poll) and I guess people might even suggest other places in "the Midlands" however defined.

Aqualung
05-07-2019, 15:39
The list is merely the places people have suggested, nothing has been ruled out or ruled in yet (until we have a poll) and I guess people might even suggest other places in "the Midlands" however defined.

So on that basis it'll be OK for me to suggest Newcastle Under Lyme for the next North & South outings?

oldboots
05-07-2019, 15:50
So on that basis it'll be OK for me to suggest Newcastle Under Lyme for the next North & South outings?

If you wish to make the suggestion I'll add it to the list, now 21 and counting.

rpadam
05-07-2019, 18:15
Except we went there last year?

Tris39
05-07-2019, 18:59
Just a thought, as it seems a shame to omit places like Cambridge and Norwich which would undoubtedly provide a good crawl just because we can't decide where to put them!

We could place them in the East of England, which I believe is the standard geography term for this region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_England

Then we could invent an imaginary 'central' category, to include the East and West Midlands along with the East of England.

Aqualung
05-07-2019, 19:04
Except we went there last year?

Exactly and a year or two earlier Wellington and other Telford towns.

rpadam
05-07-2019, 19:13
Exactly and a year or two earlier Wellington and other Telford towns.
This isn't very productive...

Mobyduck
05-07-2019, 20:18
This isn't very productive...

Agreed, does it really matter if a place is ten miles north or south of an undefined border, I was having a laugh with the geography aspect but come on , lets just sort out a decent pub crawl.

rpadam
05-07-2019, 20:30
Agreed, does it really matter if a place is ten miles north or south of an undefined border, I was having a laugh with the geography aspect but come on , lets just sort out a decent pub crawl.
I'm calling for a People's Vote!

oldboots
05-07-2019, 20:35
At a loose end this afternoon I went back over the thread and looked at the number of positive and negative responses to the various suggestions,

these had more positive than negative (in order of "positivity"), counting a suggestion as a positive.
Newark
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge
Northampton
Lincoln
Stafford
Loughborough
Norwich
Stamford

These were neutral
Hereford
Lichfield
Telford New Town : Wellington / Oakengates / other

These attracted more negative than positive (in declining order of popularity)
Grantham
Kettering
Kidderminster
Newcastle under Lyme
Peterborough
Bridgnorth
Cambridge
Leamington, Warwick & Kenilworth
Ludlow

Unless there's a better idea we could go to a proper poll including the 9 positives and the 3 neutrals, the "top" five negatives all got the same aggregate score (-1).

In future we could forget the labels and say something like "within 2-3 hours rail travel of London" or Birmingham or Manchester or you get the idea, in rotation.

rpadam
05-07-2019, 20:49
In future we could forget the labels and say something like "within 2-3 hours rail travel of London" or Birmingham or Manchester or you get the idea, in rotation.
We'll only start arguing about Pacers and HS2!

sheffield hatter
05-07-2019, 21:17
At a loose end this afternoon I went back over the thread and looked at the number of positive and negative responses to the various suggestions

Thanks for making the effort to check all this stuff.

This is surely disqualified by the fact that we did a crawl on this route recently?

Newcastle under Lyme

I don't think this was a serious suggestion. I think it was along the lines of "ok, we've done it as a Midlands crawl, it was so good can we also do it as a Northern crawl, or maybe as a Southern crawl?"

oldboots
05-07-2019, 22:16
"If you knows of a better 'ole"

Aqualung
05-07-2019, 23:05
At a loose end this afternoon I went back over the thread and looked at the number of positive and negative responses to the various suggestions,

these had more positive than negative (in order of "positivity"), counting a suggestion as a positive.
Newark
Shrewsbury
Stourbridge
Northampton
Lincoln
Stafford
Loughborough
Norwich
Stamford

These were neutral
Hereford
Lichfield

At last a realistic suggestion! I was only trying to apply rules that I thought applied from previous polls. I agree with SH that the good towns around Telford Central have already been done. Personally I would replace it with something else.

EDIT: And I'll add my thanks to OB for doing this!

EDIT again. I didn't propose NUL but tried to use it as an example of how the polls need to use the simple existing rules.

For Future Polls I would suggest that Eastern towns like Chelmsford, Colchester Ipswich and Cambridge are in the South while Lincoln, Peterborough and Norwich are Midlands. Surely nobody will ever suggest Great Yarmouth or Kings Lynn?

ETA
06-07-2019, 10:43

Both, really. I'm not sure exactly where the various boundaries are, but I've come across a few in the Wellington and Oakengates areas, and I've seen some good reviews from Ogwen. Maybe it's a non-starter though as everything's more spread out than other places.

ETA
06-07-2019, 10:46
I'm calling for a People's Vote!

If some people don't like the outcome, can we have a second vote?

Tris39
06-07-2019, 20:14
For Future Polls I would suggest that Eastern towns like Chelmsford, Colchester Ipswich and Cambridge are in the South while Lincoln, Peterborough and Norwich are Midlands. Surely nobody will ever suggest Great Yarmouth or Kings Lynn?

But these are defined as the East of England: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_England

I made a suggestion that this area be treated as an extension of the East Midlands - Hereford is in the West Midlands but is further south than Cambridge. :o

rpadam
15-07-2019, 21:03
Just over two hours left before the 2019 Autumn PuG Crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29876-2019-Autumn-PuG-Crawl) poll closes - Newark and Shrewsbury currently in a tie...

Aqualung
15-07-2019, 21:48
Just over two hours left before the 2019 Autumn PuG Crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29876-2019-Autumn-PuG-Crawl) poll closes - Newark and Shrewsbury currently in a tie...

I've been getting quite excited about this as I had assumed Newark had clinched it. In the event of a draw is it a vote off between the two places?

oldboots
15-07-2019, 21:49
Could be we have next years middle England venue but how to choose? Put both in a hat and let Dave or Tammy pick one out?

Aqualung
15-07-2019, 22:26
Could be we have next years middle England venue but how to choose? Put both in a hat and let Dave or Tammy pick one out?

Is there a precedent? I don't think Dave M or Cider Drinker have actually voted. I think whichever comes out top the second place warrants an automatic choice for next year.

rpadam
15-07-2019, 23:42
I have created a tie-breaker poll here: 2019 Autumn PuG Crawl (Tie-breaker) (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29922-2019-Autumn-PuG-Crawl-(Tie-breaker)).