PDA

View Full Version : Early Day Motion supporting community pubs

NickDavies
05-07-2010, 13:14
http://campaign.publicaffairsbriefing.co.uk/home.aspx?cid=fcc18346-cc74-4b21-9db0-d448c50b884b

I know it's tempting to be cynical but this is worth doing. 132 MPs have signed so far. The more that do the more the government will take notice.

"That this House recognises the social, economic and cultural importance of well-run community pubs, which provide a safe and sociable environment for the consumption of alcohol among friends and are an essential community meeting place; notes the ideas put forward in the Campaign for Real Ale's Beer Drinkers and Pub Goers Charter which received support from 670 candidates at the last election, 150 of whom were elected; welcomes the genuine cross party consensus on the need to support and protect well-run community pubs; and so urges the Government to implement a package of policies which will help secure the future of viable and well-run community pubs."

ptg
06-07-2010, 19:13
Done.

Millay
06-07-2010, 20:16
Worth a go, my MP hasn't signed yet so I've sent an e-mail. As I know where he lives I've mentioned a couple of local pubs in the hope that he might think about it seriously.

Maldenman
06-07-2010, 20:59
I e-mailed yesterday and received a very prompt reply today, hmmm. Standard letter I'd guess It goes blah blah then refers to the cider tax reduction, binge drinking, public finance issues then helpfully advises that "as a Parliamentary Private Secretary" he is not in a position to sign Early Day Motions. What a See You Next Tuesday. I imagine Sebastian wrote it....(Little Britain)

Ptg, is Stephen Hammond your MP too, or are you fortunate enough to be Mitcham and Morden?

ptg
06-07-2010, 21:08
I come under Hammond, and before voting insisted if he wants my vote he comes down to see me. He ignored me, and then, within an hour of me posting http://www.powmerton.co.uk/pub-crisis-letter-to-stephen-hammond.html on the internet, he was on the phone to tell me he's made time to see me. When he came in, he sounded almost ideological about the pub trade, and I don't necessarily disbelieve him - there's a video of him on the internet half cut stating that he backs the British pub - I've seen worse MPs and AM's over the years to be fair; although, if we were two streets down, we'd come under Siobhan's ward, and apparently she's very good as a locally focussed MP.

Maldenman
06-07-2010, 21:16
Siobhan is excellent. I have no faith in Hammond at all, lip service, cap dropping Tory.

I used to live in Merton Abbey, hence my knowledge of your pub, local MP and area.

rpadam
06-07-2010, 23:44
Done.

gillhalfpint
07-07-2010, 08:55
Done

RogerB
07-07-2010, 09:07
Sorted!

arwkrite
07-07-2010, 12:36
I could not see my local muppets name on the list so I sent an e mail.

ROBCamra
07-07-2010, 13:43
My newly elected MP Simon Danczuk is one of the 150 who have signed the Motion.

Not surprising really as he and his girlfriend are regulars in The Baum! :cheers:

Farway
07-07-2010, 14:26
Done

ptg
07-07-2010, 14:59
I e-mailed yesterday and received a very prompt reply today, hmmm. Standard letter I'd guess It goes blah blah then refers to the cider tax reduction, binge drinking, public finance issues then helpfully advises that "as a Parliamentary Private Secretary" he is not in a position to sign Early Day Motions. What a See You Next Tuesday. I imagine Sebastian wrote it....(Little Britain)

Ptg, is Stephen Hammond your MP too, or are you fortunate enough to be Mitcham and Morden?

just had the same letter.

gillhalfpint
07-07-2010, 16:39
All I got back from my MP Steve McCabe, is an automatic reply that he gets hundreds of e-mails and they are prioritised by date and urgency.

Will keep fingers crossed.

NickDavies
07-07-2010, 16:51
I got a repy from Richard Ottaway's secretary saying he'd already signed it ( which I knew but I thought I'd remind him of it anyway,) but I also now know these things do get read, which surprised me somewhat.

aleandhearty
07-07-2010, 19:45
Done.

Millay
07-07-2010, 23:31
Got a fast reply from my MP today informing me that he wouldn't be signing the EDM. Quite a rational but standard response that included cheap shots at the last government, the reversal of cider duties and the problematical fiscal state that the country is in. Admire the guys honesty and will formulate a reasoned response when I'm in a more reasoned mood, i.e. less pissed.

Conrad
08-07-2010, 11:49
Got a fast reply from my MP today informing me that he wouldn't be signing the EDM. Quite a rational but standard response that included cheap shots at the last government, the reversal of cider duties and the problematical fiscal state that the country is in. Admire the guys honesty and will formulate a reasoned response when I'm in a more reasoned mood, i.e. less pissed.
Have to admit that I was quite glad to spot my MP had signed it as I ended up removing quite a bit of the letter as I didn't agree with it all.

Farway
08-07-2010, 15:16
Had reply from my MP secretary, same as Millay's. He will not sign any EDMs, cost too much to taxpayer and none ever were debated in last Parliament. Went on about cider tax, less than cost price selling by supermarkets, bigging up the zero increase in beer duty, loves pubs, at the centre of community etc etc

As the constituency is mostly rural or small market towns there are obviously a lot of pubs he needs to be aware of, and I get the impression is very aware of looking out not to harm them

Oggwyn Trench
08-07-2010, 20:40
Our local MP , David Wright has signed it which is strange as he is one of the most vocal in wanting to demolish the Lord Hill in Dawley ...... dont trust any of em:moremad:

RogerB
09-07-2010, 18:27
Response by letter on Commons headed paper and a no expense spared first class franking. Won't sign the EDM "at this time" as he feels that the latest Gov't approach in reversing the recent proposed increases is sufficient at a time when priorities lie elsewhere (poor state of public finances, economic recovery, blah blah blah). He has reiterated the fact "that the new Gov't has pledged to a wider review of alcohol taxation and pricing to ensure it tackles binge drinking without unfairly penalising responsible drinkers, pubs and important local industries". Hmmm.