PDA

View Full Version : Camra vouchers

NickDavies
03-06-2019, 16:04
From my subs increase message:

" Please note from 1 July 2019 £20 Wetherspoons Vouchers will be replaced with £30 CAMRA Real Ale Cider, and Perry Vouchers."

Anyone know what they'll be? The Camra website still refers to the JDW offer and trawling through Discourse provides much heat but little light.

Must admit I'll be glad to see the back of the JDW vouchers, TM's ridiculous propaganda has made sure I only visit his pubs under sufferance.

Rex_Rattus
03-06-2019, 18:00
According to the memo I've received there are now 1300 or so pubs included (Stonegate and SA Brains added) instead of the 880 or so JDW Pubs; the scheme is "owned" by CAMRA and not JDW (although JDW pubs are still included). More 50p vouchers obviously. WhatPub will say which pubs are included. Apparently a memo goes out to all members this month.

Aqualung
03-06-2019, 18:55
According to the memo I've received there are now 1300 or so pubs included (Stonegate and SA Brains added) instead of the 880 or so JDW Pubs; the scheme is "owned" by CAMRA and not JDW (although JDW pubs are still included). More 50p vouchers obviously. WhatPub will say which pubs are included. Apparently a memo goes out to all members this month.

This won't make the slightest difference to me and I doubt that it will pacify the baying mob that is the anti voucher brigade. It could be good if you live in Cardiff.

NickDavies
03-06-2019, 19:10
This won't make the slightest difference to me and I doubt that it will pacify the baying mob that is the anti voucher brigade. It could be good if you live in Cardiff.

I've always thought the anti-voucher brigade are the ultras who think that anyone who joins for the vouchers and everyone who never attends branch meetings aren't true believers and shouldn't be members.

In reality there's maybe a few hundred of them tops.

Aqualung
03-06-2019, 19:12
TM's ridiculous propaganda has made sure I only visit his pubs under sufferance.

Things have improved of late especially if you ignore the Wetherspoon "News". The worst that might happen otherwise is seeing a "Free Trade Means Lower Prices" slogan on one of the advertising cards.

RealAleRobUK
05-06-2019, 08:56
I think I read somewhere that the new vouchers will be available for use at any time throughout the year, rather than being split into blocks.

NickDavies
05-06-2019, 09:43
I think I read somewhere that the new vouchers will be available for use at any time throughout the year, rather than being split into blocks.

The only difference between the blocks of JDW vouchers is the date written on them - the chances of the person serving you spotting an out of date one are tiny.

RealAleRobUK
05-06-2019, 09:48
The only difference between the blocks of JDW vouchers is the date written on them - the chances of the person serving you spotting an out of date one are tiny.

I got bought a CAMRA membership for my birthday one year, and it came with the vouchers. I tried to use the vouchers before expiry but I have to confess to passing a couple off once the dates had passed and they weren't checked. I did feel like a massive criminal though!

It was rare that the vouchers were ever scrutinised. What was more common is a member of staff looking at it vaguely and then consulting with a colleague as to how to process it on the till. Then I felt like the idiot for causing a hold up at the bar for being the awkward sod with a voucher.

oldboots
05-06-2019, 14:07

The details, including the validity period, are:

The vouchers are broken into sixty individual vouchers of fifty pence.

Only one voucher is redeemable for each visit to the pub.

A membership card must be presented.

Each voucher has the membership start and end date printed on it and must be used in that period.

Participating companies are Wetherspoons, Stonegate and S.A Brain & Co Ltd, some exclusions will apply,with a combined total of over 1450 pubs contractually agreed to the scheme.

The Voucher scheme is not closed and CAMRA are able to add additional companies or pubs.

WhatPub will feature a flag to highlight voucher pubs which are part of the scheme.

RealAleRobUK
05-06-2019, 15:03

Out of interest, is this a new requirement, or should Wetherspoons have asked for the card under the previous scheme too? I can't recall ever being asked for mine.

oldboots
05-06-2019, 15:15
Out of interest, is this a new requirement, or should Wetherspoons have asked for the card under the previous scheme too? I can't recall ever being asked for mine.

Rule 4 on the Wetherspoons voucher says "Valid for CAMRA members only", I think I was asked once to show a card but it's certainly not usual, although most of my local spoons do check the dates. The current Wetherspoons vouchers are a Wetherspoon's promotion distributed by CAMRA, the new one is a CAMRA promotion

NickDavies
05-06-2019, 18:00

The JDW vouchers used to say something like that, and that you could only use one per round. I never remember anyone ever taking any notice of what were ever so silly rules. If they did, they'd just get "OK we'll go out and come back in again, and pay separately"

Delboy20
05-06-2019, 18:18
I remember not being able to use one on New Years day a few years ago. For some reason that year they were valid from Jan 2nd till the end of March. I hadn't noticed this, I was in the spoons on Broad street for the new years day football when I got my voucher declined!
No big deal but I did feel a bit stupid....

Mobyduck
05-06-2019, 19:26
Never used one, or likely to.

london calling
05-06-2019, 21:29
The details, including the validity period, are:

The vouchers are broken into sixty individual vouchers of fifty pence.

Each voucher has the membership start and end date printed on it and must be used in that period.

Participating companies are Wetherspoons, Stonegate and S.A Brain & Co Ltd, some exclusions will apply,with a combined total of over 1450 pubs contractually agreed to the scheme.

The Voucher scheme is not closed and CAMRA are able to add additional companies or pubs.

WhatPub will feature a flag to highlight voucher pubs which are part of the scheme.

The Wetherspoon vouchers could be used for as many pints as you wanted on one visit and for 2 halves as well.

Aqualung
07-06-2019, 00:19
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is "double discounting" If a discount is already applied for a festival or St David's day then the use of a voucher is invalid. I think most JDW staff couldn't care less if you use more than one voucher. It's a stupid rule as as you can get served by a different staff member or just say you had left the pub and have returned.

oldboots
07-06-2019, 08:08
..I think most JDW staff couldn't care less if you use more than one voucher...

No longer the rule, it's only limited to one voucher per pint now (rule7).

Aqualung
07-06-2019, 09:09
No longer the rule, it's only limited to one voucher per pint now (rule7).

It also used to be the rule when the vouchers started. I'm guessing they must have reintroduced it for the added pubs. It will take very vigilant staff to enforce this pointless rule. I wonder if the changed ruling applies to my existing 9 months worth of vouchers running from July to the end of March.

oldboots
07-06-2019, 12:47
I wonder if the changed ruling applies to my existing 9 months worth of vouchers running from July to the end of March.

I doubt it, there are two types of vouchers for now, the Wetherspoon's ones where it's one per pint and the Camra ones where it's one per visit, which I agree is daft.

Pangolin
08-06-2019, 17:49
I rather suspect that how they are accepted will eventually come down to managers and staff. It's good news for me though, having lost a couple of local 'Spoon's in their clear-out I was struggling to use the JDW ones.

NickDavies
08-06-2019, 19:15
It also used to be the rule when the vouchers started. I'm guessing they must have reintroduced it for the added pubs. It will take very vigilant staff to enforce this pointless rule.

You can be sure it was all agreed by a load of marketing wallahs in a conference room complete with powerpoint and flipcharts. You can also be sure that the chances of any of them having a clue how pubs work is approaching zero.

Aqualung
08-06-2019, 20:57
You can be sure it was all agreed by a load of marketing wallahs in a conference room complete with powerpoint and flipcharts. You can also be sure that the chances of any of them having a clue how pubs work is approaching zero.

How uncanny that you seem to have the ability to read my mind!

hondo
19-06-2019, 09:21
https://www.camra.org.uk/join/membership-benefits/camra-voucher-scheme/