PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 12th May 2019)

ROBCamra
12-05-2019, 21:19
:cheers:

Bucking Fastard
13-05-2019, 08:20
More Thames Path,Wolverhampton,Penkridge and Croydon.

Adnams -- Mosaic Pale (keg)
Fullers -- London Pride
St Austell --Proper Job *
Sharp's -- Doom Bar
Redemption -- Pale
Bathams -- Bitter *
Kelham Island -- Pale Rider *
Thornbridge -- Jaipur IPA *
Timothy Taylor -- Landlord
Jennings -- Cocker Hoop
Sarah Hughes -- Surprise *
Saltaire -- New World Red
Burning Sky -- Aurora
Saltaire -- Triple Chocoholic * (3PT)

BOTW goes to Thornbridge Jaipur IPA in superb condition in the Pubsgalore favourite Great Western (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39188/).When kept this well,it doesn't drink like a 5.9% and the American led six hop combination made it complex yet balanced.It flew down.

Next week a short break in Poland,a voyage of discovery into an unknow (to me) beer culture.

Aqualung
13-05-2019, 08:49
BOTW goes to Thornbridge Jaipur IPA in superb condition in the Pubsgalore favourite Great Western (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39188/).

When were you there? I was there early Thursday evening and Friday evening. I reckon it was before me as I'm sure you would have tried my BOTW which follows. The only reason I didn't go there Wednesday was because the Premier Inn was more expensive that day. The Jaipur was a good price there at £3.50.

Aqualung
13-05-2019, 09:06
A 2 pub visit to Lichfield and a short stay in Wolverhampton produced this :-

Holden's Black Country Mild 3.7%
Holden's Black Country Bitter 3.9%
Joules Pale 4.1%
Joules Muffin To Declare Mild 4.3%
Mad Dog Stouty McStoutface 4.5%
St Austell Proper Job 4.5%
Green Duck Paradise 4.5%
Joules No Stout About It 4.8%
Oakham Helter Skelter 5.0%
Holden's Special 5.1%
Kelham Island Pale Rider 5.2%
Nottungham Supreme Bitter 5.2%
Brewdog Punk IPA (keg) 5.4%
Conwy San Franxisco 5.5%
Brewhouse & Kitchen (Lichfield) Handyman 5.5%
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA 5.9%
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild 6.0%

The winner is an Oakham beer that I don't recall seeing before called Helter Skelter. It's the usual pale hoppy thing but I suspect they've used wheat to make it lighter. It was superb for £3.30 at the Great Western mentioned above. The Joules Mild deserves a mention, it's a stronger one with vanilla and the hint of blueberries. That and their stout are both described as "small batch brews".

BOTW Oakham Helter Skelter

Bucking Fastard
13-05-2019, 11:19
When were you there? I was there early Thursday evening and Friday evening. I reckon it was before me as I'm sure you would have tried my BOTW which follows. The only reason I didn't go there Wednesday was because the Premier Inn was more expensive that day. The Jaipur was a good price there at £3.50.

I was in there on Wednesday evening ,so we just missed each other.I was deeply impressed by ale conditioning in the GW and everything we tried was on top form.Your Oakham BOTW wasn't on sadly .

Aqualung
13-05-2019, 12:19
I was deeply impressed by ale conditioning in the GW and everything we tried was on top form.Your Oakham BOTW wasn't on sadly.

It must have gone really quickly as it had finished on Friday evening to be replaced by Sarah Hughes Ruby which was really heavy in comparison! The fastest I ever saw a cask go was a nine of King and Barnes Old Ale that lasted less than an hour one evening in the Leyton Drum.

Wittenden
13-05-2019, 12:53
Kent

Angels and Demons-Black Taxi to the Moon 5.4%abv:A cracking heavyweight porter.Bitter chocolate,damsons.
Rother Valley-Woodcock Ale 3.8%abv:Workmanlike mid brown bitter.Spicy.Long bitter finish.Good stuff.House beer at the recently reopened The Woodcock (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/15811/)
My BOTW-Angels and Demons Black Taxi to the Moon.

oldboots
13-05-2019, 14:12
Mostly a good Saturday's drinking apart from the Wainwright, BOTW S43 - The Raven sampled in the marvellous Dun Cow in Sunderland.

Allendale - Golden Plover
Atom - Quantum State
Great North Eastern - Styrian Blonde
S43 - The Raven
Anarchy - Citra Star
Maxim - Maverick
Three Brothers - Short & Stout
Marstons - Wainwright
Three Brothers - S'more Porter
Cullercoats - Porthole Porter
Flash House - Cappuccino Porter
Theakstons - Best Bitter

Spinko
13-05-2019, 17:47
Poor day out in Darlington on Saturday only leaves Durham - Magus from the Orb micropub.

Mobyduck
13-05-2019, 18:39
Did have to drink a couple of uncharacteristic beers due to location on Bank Holiday Monday, but a trip to Caversham and Reading yesterday in the company of Quinno for an hour or so helped readdress the balance.

Wadworth 6X
Flack Manor Double Drop
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Dark Star Hophead
Purity Bunny Hop
Flowerpots Perridge Pale
Crafty Brewing Hop Tipple
Oakham JHB
Dark Star American Dry
Chorlton Bluberry Sour
Atom Shrodingers Cat
Siren Futurist
Siren Suspended in Sabro
Wild Weather Damn Dead Cucumber

BOTW Dark Star American Dry, enjoyed in The Fox & Hounds (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61613/)

Next week a visit to the Kingston Beer Festival on Saturday should give me something decent if there's anything left.

aleandhearty
13-05-2019, 18:40
A very quick wander round Leeds, on Sunday afternoon, plus a couple of regular haunts on the way home.

Brass Castle - Fruit Lupe (Orange & Amarillo).*
Brass Castle - Dusky Bay.*
Roosters - Buckeye.
Cloudwater - Stout.
Vocation - Heart & Soul.*
Northern Monk - Salted Caramel Star.*
Beer Ink - That Rug Really Tied The Room Together.
Saltaire - Amarillo.
Rat - Rat in Black.
Wilde Child - Rite of Passage.
Rat - Rat Attack.
Squawk - Milvus IPA.
North Riding - Cascade.*
Stancill -Porter.

The Fruit Lupe drank a lot better than it sounds and nearly took the honours, but the Heart & Soul was in tip-top nick at Assembly Underground (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42641/), Leeds. A worthy winner.

Thuck Phat
14-05-2019, 10:06
Some good stuff this week:

Bathams Best*
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA*
TT Landlord*
Jennings (Marstons) Cocker Hoop
Oakham Bishops Farewell*
Sarah Hughes Surprise*
Hop Back Summer Lightening
York Yorkshire Terrier

Run very closely by an excellent pint of Jaipur IPA, BOTW goes to Sarah Hughes Surprise. A typical Black Country beer: initially sweet, hops not overly prominent but with a clever, dry and very moreish finish. Like Bathams Best on steroids at 5%.

london calling
14-05-2019, 20:57
Had these earlier in the week
drygate -Orinoco
Twickenham-mandarina sky
bishop nick -ridleys rite
beatnikz -comeback tour ipa
Bristol beer factory-talisman ipa
turning point -wavelength
ilkley -alpaha beta
thornebridge -ena
nice enough beers but
on sunday 3 crackers that I have had before
thornbridge -peach ipa
wylam -jakehead
botw
mad squirrel -hoodwink (this is a coffee white stout.It shouldn't work but it did for me)