PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield Crawl July 2019

ETA
09-04-2019, 19:58
Doesn't look like I'll make this one I'm afraid.

Aqualung
09-04-2019, 22:49
On the eve of the deadline Fri 12th July has emerged as the front runner. The next question is should the emphasis be on Kelham Island or the City Centre? I'm fairly relaxed over this but if pushed would opt for KI. My main objective for a 3 night stay is to try and get round some Thornbridge and Abbeydale pubs. Am I right in thinking that the Sheffield tram system is free to holders of the English Freedom Pass?

sheffield hatter
10-04-2019, 00:30
Am I right in thinking that the Sheffield tram system is free to holders of the English Freedom Pass?

Yes, apparently. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/ticket-info#tab8. Though remarkably few decent pubs are accessible via the tram system.

I'll still have to pay though, as the anticipated winning date is two days before my 65th birthday. :(

(And I won't qualify for the bus pass until the following May. Curses. :moremad:)

sheffield hatter
10-04-2019, 00:33
On the eve of the deadline Fri 12th July has emerged as the front runner. The next question is should the emphasis be on Kelham Island or the City Centre? I'm fairly relaxed over this but if pushed would opt for KI. My main objective for a 3 night stay is to try and get round some Thornbridge and Abbeydale pubs.

I'm sure these criteria will be borne in mind by whoever devises the route(s) for the two days. Now, do we have anyone living in Sheffield who contributes to the site? Perhaps they can be persuaded...

AlanH
10-04-2019, 03:00
On the eve of the deadline Fri 12th July has emerged as the front runner. The next question is should the emphasis be on Kelham Island or the City Centre? I'm fairly relaxed over this but if pushed would opt for KI.

For me, the "KIT Cat" is essential. They are the Usual Suspects because they are the best, whether it's first visit or 200+ visits like the Manchester 'suspects are for me.

Gann
10-04-2019, 11:24
I'm sure these criteria will be borne in mind by whoever devises the route(s) for the two days. Now, do we have anyone living in Sheffield who contributes to the site? Perhaps they can be persuaded...

Oh come on Will...... You know you want to.... :)

I would if Winchmore Hill N21 ever won a Southern vote......:lol:

Aqualung
10-04-2019, 13:12
Yes, apparently. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/ticket-info#tab8. Though remarkably few decent pubs are accessible via the tram system.

I'll still have to pay though, as the anticipated winning date is two days before my 65th birthday. :(

(And I won't qualify for the bus pass until the following May. Curses. :moremad:)

Thanks, I thought it was Sheffield that was free. The idea would be to use a mix of Trams and buses
I'm pretty sure they do a 60+ pass in London. Is that just a London thing?

oldboots
10-04-2019, 14:42

Thanks, I thought it was Sheffield that was free. The idea would be to use a mix of Trams and buses
I'm pretty sure they do a 60+ pass in London. Is that just a London thing?

The old gits bus pass is available when you reach state pension age which in Will's, and indeed my case, appears to be 66, the old gits Railcard of course is from 60 for a charge, The Lunnen thing is this (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard).

trainman
10-04-2019, 16:22
The Lunnen thing is this (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard).

That is news to me and very interesting ob, thanks - some of us a with a couple of years to go had seen the freedom pass getting further away (mine is now 67), but for a small 'admin' charge, this baby appears to do the same magic...
Thanks!

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2019, 18:10
The poll will close on 10th April.

Don't ask me what happens if there is a tie.

Thankfully there is a winner.......Friday 12th July

Really looking forward to this ,although my liver won't be able to cope with two days boozing,so I will just be attending the main event on that Friday.

I am quite happy for the crawl to include Kelham Island ,since my last Sheffield visit it seems the options in that part of the city have increased quite a bit.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Aqualung
10-04-2019, 20:19
That is news to me and very interesting ob, thanks - some of us a with a couple of years to go had seen the freedom pass getting further away (mine is now 67), but for a small 'admin' charge, this baby appears to do the same magic...
Thanks!
The only difference is that it's not valid on buses outside Greater London. The full blown one isn't valid on buses in Wales, NI & Scotland although I did get a hefty discount on a bus between Pembroke Dock and Haverfordwest this year.

Aqualung
10-04-2019, 20:55
Thankfully there is a winner.......Friday 12th July

Result! I've got a 3 night stay at a Premier Inn near a tram and a Spoons, It's only £95.00. I would estimate that the cheap tickets will kick in about Easter time. I'm going to look into travelling up via Doncaster on the Leeds train as East Midland trains are so expensive and short.

sheffield hatter
10-04-2019, 22:44
Can someone who has both the knowledge and the authority please move all the posts in this thread from #8 onwards to the original Summer Crawl 2019 thread?

Thanks

Real Ale Ray
11-04-2019, 20:54
Mrs Ale here, forgot to vote in this, was hoping it would be a July date...so this is good for us. Looking forward to it :cheers:

gillhalfpint
11-04-2019, 22:56
I have put the date in the diary. We wouldn't be able to do the crawl with the rest of you Ray being as he is, but may see some of you during the day around the Kelham Island area. We will be in Sheffield tomorrow and our pubs tend to be Tap, Gardeners Rest, Cat and Kit, Shakespeare, Bar Stewards, and Wellington. If we can make it on the 12th July we will. Love Sheffield.

Gill

Real Ale Ray
12-04-2019, 07:20
I have put the date in the diary. We wouldn't be able to do the crawl with the rest of you Ray being as he is, but may see some of you during the day around the Kelham Island area. We will be in Sheffield tomorrow and our pubs tend to be Tap, Gardeners Rest, Cat and Kit, Shakespeare, Bar Stewards, and Wellington. If we can make it on the 12th July we will. Love Sheffield.

Gill

Would be great to see you and Ray again, Gill

Gann
12-04-2019, 09:27
The Lunnen thing is this (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard).

I got one of them earlier this year and brilliant it is too... Currently saving me £40 a month......

But you do need to prove that you live in a London borough....

Pangolin
12-04-2019, 12:04
Sadly I shall be somewhere remote in deepest Wales so will miss this one.

Tris39
12-04-2019, 18:51
Friday 12th sounds good to me!

Aqualung
12-04-2019, 21:55
Sadly I shall be somewhere remote in deepest Wales so will miss this one.
Are you going to reveal which part?

Pangolin
12-04-2019, 22:43
Are you going to reveal which part?

If you insist: nearest pub. (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85983/) I rather doubt I could make a day trip to Sheffield from there, even if I was permitted!

Aqualung
13-04-2019, 21:41
If you insist: nearest pub. (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85983/) I rather doubt I could make a day trip to Sheffield from there, even if I was permitted!

Blimey! I doubt it as well. It looks like it's as close to Lampeter (no train service) as Carmarthen (crap train service). I hope it stops raining for you!

Aqualung
28-04-2019, 11:06
I've got the rail tickets, via Doncaster on th4e Wednesday and direct to St Pancras on the Saturday. Anyone planning to travel South via Doncaster on the Saturday should note that there doesn't appear to be any ECML trains with the web site sending you via Sheffield or Derby on the Midland line.

Pangolin
28-04-2019, 22:38
I've got the rail tickets, via Doncaster on th4e Wednesday and direct to St Pancras on the Saturday. Anyone planning to travel South via Doncaster on the Saturday should note that there doesn't appear to be any ECML trains with the web site sending you via Sheffield or Derby on the Midland line.

Much of King's Cross is closed that weekend with just 4 trains per hour running. So still possible, but that probably means cheap advance tickets have been axed as the trains will be full.

Aqualung
28-04-2019, 23:11
Much of King's Cross is closed that weekend with just 4 trains per hour running. So still possible, but that probably means cheap advance tickets have been axed as the trains will be full.

I had a quick look for something like that but couldn't find it. I guess it will mean that the Saturday advance tickets from Sheffield will be short lived but I caught mine early. It must soon be time to start the discussions (aka arguments) about the Autumn Extravaganza.

Gann
29-04-2019, 09:48
OK that's me booked in on the trains this morning as well..
Will be coming up on Friday morning via Donny arriving in Sheffield at 10.13AM and then on the 7.00PM direct back to London on the Saturday..

So will now start looking for reasonably priced city center accommodation for the Friday night near the station..

Anyone else planning to stay over in Sheffield on the Friday ?

Bucking Fastard
29-04-2019, 12:30
Just coming up for the main Friday crawl.

I'm travelling from Stevenage via Donny arriving at 10.48am and then departing later the same day at 20.30pm.Very good deal with my old boy railcard.

I know it's still 11 weeks away but just wondering if Will has come up with a rough plan for the Friday crawl ?

Aqualung
29-04-2019, 12:33
OK that's me booked in on the trains this morning as well..
Will be coming up on Friday morning via Donny arriving in Sheffield at 10.13AM and then on the 7.00PM direct back to London on the Saturday..

So will now start looking for reasonably priced city center accommodation for the Friday night near the station..

Anyone else planning to stay over in Sheffield on the Friday ?

I'm on the same train back on Saturday coach A seat 03A. I get there Wednesday and am staying at the PI just to the North of Castle Square. I'm hoping to get round some Abbeyddale and Thornbridge tied houses but I got the impression that SH is planning a second not Kelham Island crawl for the Saturday.

Gann
29-04-2019, 12:49
I got the impression that SH is planning a second not Kelham Island crawl for the Saturday.

Yes, Will was in my North London neck of the woods yesterday and we met up for a Sunday lunchtime beer...
He will definitely be putting something together for the Saturday as well and even mentioned proposing something for those who will be staying over on the Thursday night. I unfortunately cannot come up on the Thursday..

Gann
29-04-2019, 13:06
I know it's still 11 weeks away but just wondering if Will has come up with a rough plan for the Friday crawl ?

Will's cycling round the place at the moment ticking off places we put forward on our top pubs list that he hasn't been to yet. He was in North London yesterday lunchtime targeting to go down to Surbiton for the Antelope I believe. Then he's off to Kent for all the new Micro pubs in the Cinque ports by the end of this week. So I think we may need to wait a few weeks for a proposed running list..

trainman
29-04-2019, 13:29
Tickets from London still available at £15ew (or £9.90 with snr railcard), these via Donny outbound but direct return. Not much difference in travel time.
Hillsborough Hotel is an option for accom, not by station but easy on the tram, with a choice of draught 'liveners' with your breakfast...

Mobyduck
29-04-2019, 13:31
Thats a bugger, l was in the Antelope yesterday between 5.30 and 7.00 pm.

sheffield hatter
04-05-2019, 12:31
Thats a bugger, l was in the Antelope yesterday between 5.30 and 7.00 pm.

I was there about 4.15 but didn't stop long. It took me longer to get through central London than I'd anticipated - what with traffic lights, direction finding and trying not to get killed.

Also had a ten minute stop at the Hope in Carshalton, then caught the train to Dorking to reach my destination in Holmbury St Mary (there's a youth hostel there).

sheffield hatter
04-05-2019, 12:40
Will's off to Kent for all the new Micro pubs in the Cinque ports by the end of this week. So I think we may need to wait a few weeks for a proposed running list..

Did I say "all" the micropubs? I hope not...

I managed eight in one day of cycling around Herne Bay (Bouncy Barrel, Copper Pottle, Parkerville and Firkin Frog), then train to Margate and a quick sprint towards Ramsgate to photograph a couple of pubs for the site, then back for Fez and Ales of the Unexpected and into Westgate on Sea for the Bake & Alehouse before catching the train back to Herne Bay and the Butchers Arms in Herne on my way back into Canterbury. Cycled about 35 miles and drank eight halves. All good, with the exception of the Firkin Frog. Reviews will appear when I have time.

sheffield hatter
04-05-2019, 12:44
Can someone who has both the knowledge and the authority please move all the posts in this thread from #8 onwards to the original Summer Crawl 2019 thread?

Thanks

Please can someone either change the title of this thread (just "Sheffield Crawl in July", rather than "Poll for date of Sheffield...") or move all postings from #8 to a new thread.

Thanks

sheffield hatter
04-05-2019, 13:09

Just a few rough doodles.

See attached document. No timings yet on any of the embryo crawl routes, and I haven't fully linked the pubs back to the site yet either. I would appreciate feedback: there will probably be pubs that people want to do which I haven't included, or pubs that I have included that no one can see the point of going to. Or pubs that I've left until Saturday that people who are only here for Friday particularly want to do. So please speak up!

I'm planning on doing some updated reviews between now and June/July, as things are changing all the time.

Once I've incorporated feedback and the reviews are up to date, I'll do a revised crawl route (or routes!) with approximate timings and details of buses and trams.

Mobyduck
04-05-2019, 19:35
I was there about 4.15 but didn't stop long. It took me longer to get through central London than I'd anticipated - what with traffic lights, direction finding and trying not to get killed.

Also had a ten minute stop at the Hope in Carshalton, then caught the train to Dorking to reach my destination in Holmbury St Mary (there's a youth hostel there).

That's a fair bit of biking.

Bucking Fastard
05-05-2019, 10:10

See attached document. No timings yet on any of the embryo crawl routes, and I haven't fully linked the pubs back to the site yet either. I would appreciate feedback: there will probably be pubs that people want to do which I haven't included, or pubs that I have included that no one can see the point of going to. Or pubs that I've left until Saturday that people who are only here for Friday particularly want to do. So please speak up!

I'm planning on doing some updated reviews between now and June/July, as things are changing all the time.

Once I've incorporated feedback and the reviews are up to date, I'll do a revised crawl route (or routes!) with approximate timings and details of buses and trams.

Thanks a lot Will,that's really helpful and just goes to show how many excellent venues there are in Sheffield.The rough plan for the Friday is also helpful as I may have some friends popping along somewhere en route.

Aqualung
05-05-2019, 12:43

That's a really useful document, many thanks for that. I've got a question I'm sure you can answer, I had the impression that Abbeydale had more than just the twos tied houses. Was this once the case? I've been to the Devonshire Cat twice and it had completely passed me by that it was an Abbeydale tied house!
I was toying with the idea of getting a bus or train out to Dronfield mainly for the Coach & Horses. I'm beginning to think it may be better going there from Chesterfield or even from a stay in Derby or Nottingham. Any thoughts?
It looks like the Bath House will be my starting point for the main event. My adopted Spoons will be the Bankers Draft as it's close to where I'm staying. The one I'd thought about revisiting is the Francis Newton but it would have to fit in with something else.

Aqualung
05-05-2019, 12:55

B;limey! They've got rid of a lot of the Youth Hostels in Snowdonia. Looking at the prices they aren't that much cheaper than advance bookings at Travelodge or Premier Inn but there aren't any of those near the start of paths up Snowdon!

sheffield hatter
05-05-2019, 13:14
I've got a question I'm sure you can answer, I had the impression that Abbeydale had more than just the twos tied houses. Was this once the case? I've been to the Devonshire Cat twice and it had completely passed me by that it was an Abbeydale tied house!

Just the two: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/directory/. Can't recall if this was ever any different.

I was toying with the idea of getting a bus or train out to Dronfield mainly for the Coach & Horses. I'm beginning to think it may be better going there from Chesterfield or even from a stay in Derby or Nottingham. Any thoughts?.

I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub (https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/pages/pubs). The 43 bus stops (https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3094446,-1.4776775,3a,75y,263.47h,76.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfQBYtbbyv0p2OJe60g4dsw!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfQBYtbbyv0p2O Je60g4dsw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D66.819695%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i1331 2!8i6656) close by and it's on the Sheffield side of Dronfield, so I would guess doing it from Sheffield would be better than Chesterfield. Train from Nottingham (or Derby or Chesterfield) to Dronfield every hour, then 43 bus would do too, if you don't like long bus journeys.

It looks like the Bath House will be my starting point for the main event. My adopted Spoons will be the Bankers Draft as it's close to where I'm staying. The one I'd thought about revisiting is the Francis Newton but it would have to fit in with something else.

Bath Hotel was my local for many years, and in my view Thornbridge have messed it about too much, but if you've not been before, or even if you have, then it's still worth a visit. I've not been to the Francis Newton for three or four years, but it always struck me as a pretty poor pub, but then I never was a great fan of Spoons. The best thing about the Bankers Draft is the back door which leads directly to the Dove and Rainbow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53843/). I would have thought The Benjamin Huntsman (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56326/) was the best of the town centre Spoons.

Mobyduck
05-05-2019, 13:45
I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub (https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/pages/pubs).

You have a problem with Thornbridge Will?
Honest question, I'm intrigued .

sheffield hatter
05-05-2019, 14:09
You have a problem with Thornbridge Will?
Honest question, I'm intrigued .

Fair point. I just don't like the taste of most of their beers. Some of them remind my of sherbet lemon dabs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherbet-Dip-Dab-x10-Packs/dp/B0048AIBHC/ref=asc_df_B0048AIBHC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310642476609&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17850593978677152502&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046348&hvtargid=pla-562405299966&psc=1) that we used to get when I was a kid. I think Jaipur is vastly overrated. Also I don't like what they did to the Bath Hotel, which used to be a friendly local with a small drinking corridor. They have taken the curtains off the windows (curtain rails still left in place) so that the place feels echoing and cold, and there's always a member of staff with a laptop open on the section of bar counter in the drinking corridor, which in my view disrespects the pub's history. But apart from that, no, got nothing against them.

Mobyduck
05-05-2019, 14:28
Fair point. I just don't like the taste of most of their beers. Some of them remind my of sherbet lemon dabs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherbet-Dip-Dab-x10-Packs/dp/B0048AIBHC/ref=asc_df_B0048AIBHC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310642476609&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17850593978677152502&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046348&hvtargid=pla-562405299966&psc=1) that we used to get when I was a kid. I think Jaipur is vastly overrated. Also I don't like what they did to the Bath Hotel, which used to be a friendly local with a small drinking corridor. They have taken the curtains off the windows (curtain rails still left in place) so that the place feels echoing and cold, and there's always a member of staff with a laptop open on the section of bar counter in the drinking corridor, which in my view disrespects the pub's history. But apart from that, no, got nothing against them.

Fair answer.

Tris39
05-05-2019, 18:55

Ever tried there Wye ale? It's brewed with cucumbers. Why? would be a better name, IMHO. :D

Mobyduck
05-05-2019, 19:05
Ever tried there Wye ale? It's brewed with cucumbers.
Yes , I quite like it, but then I have strange tastes, yesterday in The Baliffs Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85595/) They had a Blueberry and Mocha Stout (https://www.google.com/search?q=hollow+stone+brewery+blueberry+and+mocha&rlz=1C1CAFA_enGB784GB784&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=jBz13iwQMuVmNM%253A%252CRadZaYYISlPRlM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6v0k3z_icSiclvg9wB_d7hAMDPw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAnqmG_ITiAhXgShUIHf5xBQgQ9QEwBXoECAkQC A#imgrc=jBz13iwQMuVmNM:) on, Convinced it wouldn't work but daft enough to give it a go, I had a half, very nice and worked for me.

Tris39
05-05-2019, 19:44
Yes , I quite like it, but then I have strange tastes, yesterday in The Baliffs Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85595/) They had a Blueberry and Mocha Stout (https://www.google.com/search?q=hollow+stone+brewery+blueberry+and+mocha&rlz=1C1CAFA_enGB784GB784&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=jBz13iwQMuVmNM%253A%252CRadZaYYISlPRlM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6v0k3z_icSiclvg9wB_d7hAMDPw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAnqmG_ITiAhXgShUIHf5xBQgQ9QEwBXoECAkQC A#imgrc=jBz13iwQMuVmNM:) on, Convinced it wouldn't work but daft enough to give it a go, I had a half, very nice and worked for me.

Ever tried this? :eek: Not sure if I've tried this brew, but I'm sure I've tried something similar with this beer's surprise ingredient!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/belvoir-the-blue-brew/141811/

Mobyduck
05-05-2019, 20:11
Ever tried this? :eek: Not sure if I've tried this brew, but I'm sure I've tried something similar with this beer's surprise ingredient!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/belvoir-the-blue-brew/141811/

Can't say I have, would have to try it out of curiosity if I did spy it anywhere.

Aqualung
05-05-2019, 20:49
Just the two: https://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/directory/. Can't recall if this was ever any different.

I could have sworn that I looked at their web site years ago and found they had several pubs.

I've not been to the Coach & Horses, as it's a Thornbridge pub (https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/pages/pubs). The 43 bus stops (https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3094446,-1.4776775,3a,75y,263.47h,76.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfQBYtbbyv0p2OJe60g4dsw!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DfQBYtbbyv0p2O Je60g4dsw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D66.819695%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i1331 2!8i6656) close by and it's on the Sheffield side of Dronfield, so I would guess doing it from Sheffield would be better than Chesterfield. Train from Nottingham (or Derby or Chesterfield) to Dronfield every hour, then 43 bus would do too, if you don't like long bus journeys.

I really raised this as I noticed there's a second GBG entry the Dronfield Arms near the rail station and it's a late opener. If I spent a day there I could enjoy the wonderful Thornbridge Ales in the C & H before (hopefully) getting that bus back to the town centre.

and in my view Thornbridge have messed it about too much, but if you've not been before, or even if you have, then it's still worth a visit. I've not been to the Francis Newton for three or four years, but it always struck me as a pretty poor pub, but then I never was a great fan of Spoons. The best thing about the Bankers Draft is the back door which leads directly to the Dove and Rainbow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53843/). I would have thought The Benjamin Huntsman (JD Wetherspoon) (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56326/) was the best of the town centre Spoons.

I've not been to the Bath HOTEL and am looking forward to a nice pint of Jaipur or something there.
The Francis Newton is an unusual Spoons that is probably my favourite of the Sheffield outlets. I would have given it a higher score if the beer choice had been better. I went to the Benjamin Huntsman on a Friday evening so haven't seen it at it's best.
I'll try and get to that Dove & Rainbow, I haven't checked out if there's anything else near the hotel.

Aqualung
05-05-2019, 20:55
Can't say I have, would have to try it out of curiosity if I did spy it anywhere.

Same here, I love stilton but think I would prefer it in a sarnie with some rocket and watercress.

Spinko
14-06-2019, 05:54
Is this still going ahead? Assuming I can get leave it's not too far from Thornaby /Stockton

Mobyduck
14-06-2019, 08:00
Is this still going ahead? Assuming I can get leave it's not too far from Thornaby /Stockton

Yes it is, not sure if I'll make this one though.

Dave M
15-06-2019, 19:30
Tammy & I should be there, but for the Friday only. Arriving by train from Liverpool (we have a strange weekend planned!) probably at 11:35 and I would think heading back on the 19:40.

sheffield hatter
16-06-2019, 21:25
Tammy & I should be there, but for the Friday only. Arriving by train from Liverpool (we have a strange weekend planned!) probably at 11:35 and I would think heading back on the 19:40.

I'll be sure to factor that into the route plan!

Real Ale Ray
18-06-2019, 18:48
Unfortunately we can't attend this one, am sure you'll all have a great day's supping in Sheffield :cheers:

sheffield hatter
20-06-2019, 07:50
Unfortunately we can't attend this one :cheers:

It really won't be the same without you.

Bucking Fastard
20-06-2019, 16:18

I will be travelling from Burscough Bridge that morning and after a couple of changes (Northern Fail willing) hope to arrive on the same train !

Heading back to the south afterwards and need to be on the 21.17 departure from Doncaster so will catch the 20.25 from Sheffield.

Tris39
20-06-2019, 19:25
It really won't be the same without you.

Yup.

sheffield hatter
23-06-2019, 00:08
As it is not clear that anyone is interested in the suggestion of arriving in Sheffield on Thursday 11th for a pre-crawl crawl, or staying over until Saturday 13th for a post-crawl crawl, the attached document confines itself to a plan for Friday 12th. Anyone who would like to do an additional crawl on the days either side can contact me via this thread or by a personal message.

Gann
23-06-2019, 08:01
I am staying over with a 5.30pm train back on the Saturday..

So will probably look to knock off some of the wild cards that will inevitably not be managed on the Friday, or open to other suggestions..

ROBCamra
23-06-2019, 08:58
Ms CAMRA and I will be in Sheffield on the Thursday night.

No idea where we're going yet but it will involve a restaurant and probably The Head of Steam (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43172/) as Ms CAMRA really likes it.

We'd normally book a table at The Milestone (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63695/) and visit Stew & Oyster (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/85641/) and The Harlequin (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43206/) on the way back, but as we're in KI the day afterwards...……….:cheers:

Aqualung
23-06-2019, 22:53
I think I've already said that I'll be there Wednesday and return Saturday evening. I'm not up to anything with a lot of walking. As far as the day goes my priorities are to do the Bath Hotel, the Wellington, Bar Stewards and the Shakespeare. I haven't finalised other plans but but Wednesday will be near the hotel, Thursday one or two Thornbridge pubs and ditto Saturday.

Bucking Fastard
24-06-2019, 15:39
As it is not clear that anyone is interested in the suggestion of arriving in Sheffield on Thursday 11th for a pre-crawl crawl, or staying over until Saturday 13th for a post-crawl crawl, the attached document confines itself to a plan for Friday 12th. Anyone who would like to do an additional crawl on the days either side can contact me via this thread or by a personal message.

Thanks Will,that gives a good idea of options and a solid list of main targets.

gillhalfpint
26-06-2019, 18:10
We are still planning on being in Sheffield on the Friday and I have looked at your amazing itinerary. We tend to get to the Gardeners then Kelham Island pubs as easy for Ray, but you never know, we may get to see some of you on your rounds.

Gill

sheffield hatter
27-06-2019, 23:56
The long awaited reopening of what was once the Old Crown on Scotland Street in Sheffield took place while I was away in the Outer Hebrides (June 6th to be precise) and I called in for my first drink in The Crow Inn (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63374/) this evening. It's just up the hill from Shakespeares and the abominably named Bar Stewards, so I guess that completists will want to check it out when we're all in the area on 12th July.

In other news, fans of Thornbridge beers might be interested to know that the Graze Inn on Ecclesall Road (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66754/) has revamped its bar (according to the local Camra newsletter (https://sheffield.camra.org.uk/Beer%20Matters%20498.pdf) - I haven't been there myself). According to them, it's now called the Eagle. Here's what the Graze Inn website has to say: https://www.grazeinn.co.uk/drink-1. Nada. Or have I missed something?

Spinko
29-06-2019, 10:05
I'll be there around noon, until around 5pm.

gillhalfpint
03-07-2019, 16:23
I have come across lists of pubs having a bit of a do this weekend, and will be enjoying some of them next Friday. Won't be doing the group round Hillsborough as we have been to Hillsborough Hotel, New Barracks Tavern and Rawson Spring JDW before but the Northern Monkey Micro pub would have been new to us.

Better for Ray is the group around Neepsend. Gardeneners Rest we know well, Forest up the road which is the Toolmakers Brewery Tap I have been to once. Don't know Cutlery Works near the Gardeners, Church Temple of Fun across the other side of the river from Gardeners, or Old Workshop down from the Forest which is 10-11 keggy ones and no real ale but 4pm opening, so will likely miss that one out.

The group we know a lot of Wellington, Ship, Riverside, Harlequin, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Stew & Oyster, Shakespeare, Bar Steward, will be our best for Friday and we can try Pa's Bistro Bar and Crow which are in that area and new to us.

We will be in the Tap around 11 ish I expect, and usually do Gardeners then back over for Kelham area, but hey ho --- Friday looks like being a fun day out, and any we miss, we are booked into Travelodge for the beer fest and may get a few then.

Gill

rpadam
03-07-2019, 18:28
It's now looking as if I may be in Sheffield on Thursday for work and, if so, I could join in the first half or so of Friday (but I do have to get back to London for a concert in the evening).

sheffield hatter
04-07-2019, 00:04
I have come across lists of pubs having a bit of a do this weekend, and will be enjoying some of them next Friday. Won't be doing the group round Hillsborough as we have been to Hillsborough Hotel, New Barracks Tavern and Rawson Spring JDW before but the Northern Monkey Micro pub would have been new to us.

New to me as well, as I rarely go to Hillsborough. I have added the Northern Monkey (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87920/), and it turns out there's a Brass Monkey (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87921/) too (which I have also added). I don't know what it is with Monkeys in Sheffield, but there's a Blind Monkey (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43156/) in nearby Walkley, though this one is a conversion (in not very good taste, if anyone's interested in my opinion) of a former slightly down at heel corner boozer.

Quinno
05-07-2019, 12:54
Hope you all have a great day out, I should almost certainly be at the next one, barring the old unforeseen...

Mobyduck
05-07-2019, 20:23
Hope you all have a great day out, I should almost certainly be at the next one, barring the old unforeseen...

Ditto.

oldboots
05-07-2019, 20:37

Ditto.

Should we ever decide on the likely contenders never mind a winner :eek:

and we'll need to agree a date :lol:

Tris39
05-07-2019, 20:47
Do we know how many pilgrims are going on this one?

sheffield hatter
07-07-2019, 18:40
There are replacement rail works going on between Shalesmoor and Hillsborough (https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/railreplacement/#section9)on the Sheffield tram system. This will not affect the main plan for the crawl on Friday, but anyone with other ideas for either that day or the Thursday or Saturday should look again, in case the closure might have an impact.

Aqualung
07-07-2019, 23:04
The weather forecast for Friday is heavy thundery showers. At least it won't be hot which is the nightmare scenario as it can turn the beer in the best run pub. In the bad old days of licencing a favoured line of banter was "You can't make us leave now it's raining!". I'm starting at the Bath Hotel on Friday and then going to the Wellington which I remember liking on my first ever visit to Sheffield.

sheffield hatter
08-07-2019, 11:11
The weather forecast for Friday is heavy thundery showers.

On the BBC website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077) it's light showers on Friday; heavy thunder showers were the subject of a Met Office warning for Thursday.

AlanH
08-07-2019, 13:43
On the BBC website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077) it's light showers on Friday; heavy thunder showers were the subject of a Met Office warning for Thursday.

As long as things are nice and wet INSIDE the pub it will be OK. :drinkup: :bemerry:

Bucking Fastard
08-07-2019, 17:52
Do we know how many pilgrims are going on this one?

Reading back through the thread it looks like

sheffield hatter
Aqualung
AlanH
oldboots
gillhalfpint & Ray
Bucking Fastard & Clive (12.45) & Steve (13.00)
Tris 39
Gann
Spinko
Dave M
Tammy
ROBCamra & Ms Camra
rpadam

Have I missed anybody out ?

Looks like a solid crew,see you all in the Sheffield Tap or somewhere on the route on Friday.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Tris39
08-07-2019, 18:30

The Met Office app agrees that Thursday is not a day for spending outside, but is more optimistic for Friday than the BBC.

Just to confirm: what is the start time and venue?

gillhalfpint
08-07-2019, 18:33
Anyone staying over might like to know there is a beer festival at the Rising Sun Fulwood Road Thursday to Sunday. Been there before, but too far out for us now I reckon, Will be more than happy with our usual Sheffield pub run.

Gill

Aqualung
08-07-2019, 18:46
The Met Office app agrees that Thursday is not a day for spending outside, but is more optimistic for Friday than the BBC.

I should have paid more attention, the Friday storms are for the South, notably affecting Wimblebore a very dull event with which the BBC has a grotesque obsession.

sheffield hatter
08-07-2019, 20:46
Anyone staying over might like to know there is a beer festival at the Rising Sun Fulwood Road Thursday to Sunday. Been there before, but too far out for us now I reckon, Will be more than happy with our usual Sheffield pub run.

Gill

The 120 bus goes to the Rising Sun. Frequent service. You should give it a go.

sheffield hatter
08-07-2019, 20:51

See post #59 above for detailed itinerary. There will be a test before we leave the first pub, to make sure everyone has been paying attention!

Aqualung
08-07-2019, 22:13
Checking back on the route in case I have to take this test, I'm starting in the Bath Hotel but depending on their beers may meet the main group in the Wellington. It looks like buses 81 and 82 could prove useful for me. I'll be visiting the Sheffield Tap on Saturday evening before getting the train back.

sheffield hatter
08-07-2019, 23:33
Checking back on the route in case I have to take this test, I'm starting in the Bath Hotel but depending on their beers may meet the main group in the Wellington. It looks like buses 81 and 82 could prove useful for me. I'll be visiting the Sheffield Tap on Saturday evening before getting the train back.

The Bath is only a short walk from the University tram stop (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/43051/). Get off at Shalesmoor tram stop for the Wellington (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/43091/). The 81/82 buses (https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetablefinder.aspx?searchtext=81) stop near the Wellington all right, but they don't get anywhere near the Bath.

Our arrival time at the Bath is 14.20, at the Wellington (just checking the test paper to see what the correct answer might be) any time between 3pm and 4, depending on how dissolute, or do I mean disparate, or possibly dispeptic, the group has become. Why don't you join us earlier at the Rutland? Or at the Dev Cat?

sheffield hatter
08-07-2019, 23:39
There will be a test before we leave the first pub, to make sure everyone has been paying attention!

Only kidding, of course. Meet any time from 11.15am at the Sheffield Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/68140/) (it opens at 10am on Fridays) or 12.15pm at the Rutland Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43353/).

Spinko
09-07-2019, 05:35
I should have paid more attention, the Friday storms are for the South, notably affecting Wimblebore a very dull event with which the BBC has a grotesque obsession.

I'm fairly sure given my luck that the weather will be pretty pleasant on Friday. Proper beer garden weather and a chance for some much needed vitamin D.

Aqualung
09-07-2019, 10:08
The Bath is only a short walk from the University tram stop (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/43051/). Get off at Shalesmoor tram stop for the Wellington (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/43091/). The 81/82 buses (https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetablefinder.aspx?searchtext=81) stop near the Wellington all right, but they don't get anywhere near the Bath.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear but I'm aware iof the tram situation. I reckon I can use the 81/82 to get to the Shakespeare from the Wellington. Even though it's only a couple of stops it will make it a lot easier for me. It also appears that it will get me back to the hotel and also the Sheaf Island if I decide to go there.

Our arrival time at the Bath is 14.20, at the Wellington (just checking the test paper to see what the correct answer might be) any time between 3pm and 4, depending on how dissolute, or do I mean disparate, or possibly dispeptic, the group has become. Why don't you join us earlier at the Rutland? Or at the Dev Cat?

I've alreasy been to the Rutland and the Dev Cat. I'd prefer to have a longer stay ib a new pub and more importantly avoid rhe walking which is becoming increasingly difficult.

ROBCamra
10-07-2019, 15:50
Pubs on or near the crawl and wildcards giving a CAMRA discount.

Red Deer, Bath Hotel, Ship Inn, Dove & Rainbow, Dog & Partridge.

Check the CAMRA discount list for full details and for the many other pubs in Sheffield on the list. :cheers:

Tris39
10-07-2019, 18:56
See post #59 above for detailed itinerary. There will be a test before we leave the first pub, to make sure everyone has been paying attention!

Got it: Sheffield Tap, Platform 1b, 11.15-12.15. If my broken toe has stopped hurting, and I can make it as far as Platform 9 3/4 at this end.

Dave M
10-07-2019, 19:46
I've put together a crawl map again, timings intended only as a very rough guide of how we are doing.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcrawl/sheffield-dev.php

sheffield hatter
10-07-2019, 23:45
I've put together a crawl map again, timings intended only as a very rough guide of how we are doing.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcrawl/sheffield-dev.php

Thanks for the map and timings.

Just to clarify, in my original rough plan for the Sheffield crawl the Roebuck didn't figure. However, on a recent mini-crawl around some city centre pubs I hadn't done for a while I found it had improved and was now worth a visit. However, I would suggest that doing the Roebuck, then the Beer Engine, then the Dev Cat would involve more walking than perhaps most people would want to take on. The Roebuck has a beer range of mainly traditional brews, though some not-often-encountered breweries may feature; the Beer Engine is aiming at a different clientele with plenty of modern beer styles, New World hops, fruit juice and lactose. I'm not saying that no one will like both pubs, just suggesting that doing both may lead to some disappointment. Doing Rutland-Roebuck-Dev Cat involves substantially less walking than Rutland-Beer Engine-Dev Cat. Doing Rutland-Roebuck-Beer Engine-Dev Cat, as the timings on the route map seem to suggest, might be a bit over the top for some people. Anyway, your choice.

(For anyone staying in Sheffield overnight either before or after Friday's main crawl, the Beer Engine could be done Thursday evening or Saturday - it's easily reached by bus from central Sheffield.)

Also not mentioned in either the original draft or the final crawl is the recently revived Crow(n) (see #65 (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29535-Sheffield-Crawl-July-2019/page7)), which is near the Shakespeares and Bar Stewards and just a few yards (uphill) from Kelham Island. Depending on which direction people choose for Kelham/Neepsend (clockwise or anti?), it may well be worthwhile keeping a bit of time and energy in reserve for this one.

Spinko
11-07-2019, 05:16
All being well I'll be on the 1035 from York arriving in at 1121 (first off peak down from Thornaby-on-Tees.)

trainman
11-07-2019, 08:08
Partly cloudy, 20deg, 10-15% chance of precipitation.
100% chance of over-imbibement.

Tris39
11-07-2019, 19:55
Met Office App:

20C
Cloudy with sunny spells.
30% chance of light rain, 18.00 - 20.00.

And there's your weather.

Best bring a brollie or a cagoule. :pray:

Pangolin
11-07-2019, 23:24
Have a good one! I will raise a Cwrw or two.

gillhalfpint
12-07-2019, 07:38
Love the map and pub route. We should be at Tap for opening so see you there. May get to see you again when you get around Kelham area. Looking forward to great day, and aim to try the Old Workshop and the Crow on our route.

Gill

Cider Drinker
12-07-2019, 10:07
Hi, looking forward to seeing you lovely people. We are on the train arriving Sheffield 11.35 from Liverpool, in the front carriage. X

oldboots
12-07-2019, 10:22
I should be arriving platform 6a about 11:05

gillhalfpint
12-07-2019, 19:02
Had a great day and chuffed to meet so many of you again around the pubs today. Aqualung was in our last pub the Wellington on his own, and great to have a chat. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your time in Sheffield and may see you in the next one.
Gill

sheffield hatter
12-07-2019, 20:43
Had a great day and chuffed to meet so many of you again around the pubs today. Aqualung was in our last pub the Wellington on his own, and great to have a chat. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your time in Sheffield and may see you in the next one.
Gill

Great to see you and Ray...and Aqualung, of course.

sheffield hatter
12-07-2019, 21:25
A very enjoyable crawl, with just the right number of deviations from the prescribed route to keep it interesting.

It was good to see so many of you in my home city, and I've got to say it was a particular pleasure to be able to walk home after one of these crawls, rather than having to dash to the station for a pre-booked train. Good luck to those of you who had to do just that.

Attendees today, according to my notes, were:

Trainman & Jonesy
Alan H
Gillhalfpint & Ray
Andy (Ale&Hearty)
Nev (BF) and his friends Clive & Steve
Oldboots
ROB Camra & Ms Camra
Steve Gann
RP Adam
Dave M & Cider Drinker
Tris C
Spinko
Aqualung

and local resident, Sheffield Hatter.

Profuse apologies if anyone has been omitted from this list - please correct me if necessary. Photos were taken, so watch this space.

rpadam
12-07-2019, 22:37
Sorry that I had to bail out a bit early - needed to get to Wembley Arena for a bit of Jimmy Barnes and ZZ Top - so I hope you all enjoyed Kelham Island (and wherever you may have gone afterwards.

Gann
12-07-2019, 22:40
Photos were taken, so watch this space.

They sure were.

Gann
12-07-2019, 22:45
And so that you do study the previous image, it just goes to show that Pubs Galore does attract a higher level of photo bombing...😂

Mobyduck
13-07-2019, 06:52
They sure were.

Aqualung elusive as ever. :D

oldboots
13-07-2019, 10:44

That's not him in drag on the left.

Mobyduck
13-07-2019, 10:57
That's not him in drag on the left.

Are you sure?

oldboots
13-07-2019, 11:13
A few snaps from yesterday, add your own captions,

Quinno
13-07-2019, 16:25
Looks like I missed an excellent day!

Gann
13-07-2019, 19:20
Many thanks to Will for organising a cracking trip.
And thank you to Sheffield, you did not disappoint.
Now on the train home and I make my final tally for the two day =
22 Different Venues
26 different ales
One Eggs Benedict
One Full English
Two Black pudding pork pies
No Pork Scratchings ( well my body is a temple!)

trainman
13-07-2019, 19:40
Congratulations to anyone who managed the double-header.
I got home around midnight and only good for a medicinal glass or two indoors today. Only managed to venture out to walk dogs.
For those who were concerned, I made it past Kings Cross area unscathed..!
Cheers to all, and Will, and mighty Sheffield...

Tris39
13-07-2019, 19:49
A very enjoyable crawl, with just the right number of deviations from the prescribed route to keep it interesting.

It was good to see so many of you in my home city, and I've got to say it was a particular pleasure to be able to walk home after one of these crawls, rather than having to dash to the station for a pre-booked train. Good luck to those of you who had to do just that.

Yes.

Thanks indeed for organising such a brilliant crawl and day out. Fun as always to catch up with fellow crawlers as meeting some for the first time. I had a great though hilly walk back to the station from the KIT and then a swift half in the Howard, which was quite a contrast to what I'd experienced throughout the day!

Aqualung
13-07-2019, 23:42
Gill

I think I'd better explain how this came about! Normally the bus stop across the road from the Wellington will get you to the Shakespeare and Bar Stewards. I can only assume that due to the Tram Works they had all been diverted so I returned to the Wellington for some more of that nice 6% Neepsend IPA. After a couple came in who were discussing familiar pub names they had been to after earwigging their conversation for a while it occurred to me that this could be GillHalfPint and Ray. After identifying the man's accent as defo W Midlands I asked if they were who I thought were and yes they were!
Nice to meet you Gill & Ray, maybe we can meet up some time in my favourite pub the Great Western.

Aqualung
13-07-2019, 23:59

There is ONE thing I loathe more than group photos and it's selfies! I'd just finished taking a picture of a horrible former Burtonwood pub in Holyhead when two grinning young female faces appeared through the lens. Given the fact that I was using a proper camera and not a stupid mobile phone
there's no way they were going to get a picture.

Actually I don't even recognise the pub but I'm guessing it may have been KIT.

sheffield hatter
14-07-2019, 09:34
I'm guessing it may have been KIT.

No, it's the Fat Cat. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Sheffield. See you in the Autumn in the Midlands, wherever that may be.

Pangolin
14-07-2019, 11:10
See you in the Autumn in the Midlands, wherever that may be.

Glad someone admits they don't know where the Midlands is. Oh, you meant wherever the crawl is...

Aqualung
14-07-2019, 12:07
No, it's the Fat Cat. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Sheffield. See you in the Autumn in the Midlands, wherever that may be.

I made it to the Francis Newton and the Sheffield Tap on Saturday. The Tap was a madhouse but at least the expensive Jaipur was good.The train back was back to front even though I'm sure they announced it as normal. Maybe I got confused!
Re the Midlands poll, I get the impression that quite a few people haven't voted,

rpadam
14-07-2019, 12:12
Re the Midlands poll, I get the impression that quite a few people haven't voted,
Quite so, vote here: 2019 Autumn PuG Crawl (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?29876-2019-Autumn-PuG-Crawl).

NB - Shrewsbury's early lead has been clawed back by Newark, with many others still in contention.

Closing date tomorrow!

aleandhearty
21-07-2019, 13:16

A little bit late*, but here a few more from Sheffield, including one of the elusive Aqualung. A great day out. Enjoyed finally meeting Tris, Alan, Spinko and Aqualung.

*Had to wait for my daughter to return from her hols, to give me a hand!

Mobyduck
21-07-2019, 14:28

A little bit late*, but here a few more from Sheffield, including one of the elusive Aqualung.
Aqualung didn't look too happy about it, :D, I am guessing Spinko is second from the right in the first picture? I also note you couldn't resisit getting in on the act in the mirror on the last picture.:cheers:

Aqualung
21-07-2019, 23:14
Aqualung didn't look too happy about it, :

I don't like pictures being taken of me and I was a bit dubious about the beer quality in the Bath Hotel. BF voted the Chiron as his BOTW so what do I know????

oldboots
22-07-2019, 07:16
I don't like pictures being taken of me and I was a bit dubious about the beer quality in the Bath Hotel. BF voted the Chiron as his BOTW so what do I know????

I'm with you, my Great Heck Navigator was foul and I had to wash my mouth out with Thornbridge Astryd which was acceptable. I'm not photogenic either.

aleandhearty
22-07-2019, 11:43
Aqualung didn't look too happy about it, :D, I am guessing Spinko is second from the right in the first picture? I also note you couldn't resisit getting in on the act in the mirror on the last picture.:cheers:

Had to take two of Alan and Aqualung, he managed to get his hands in front of his face with the other one. You are correct about Spinko. Well spotted with the mirror! I hadn't noticed that.

aleandhearty
22-07-2019, 11:50

The picture was actually taken in The Wellington. Thought my pint of Thornbridge Astryd in the Bath Hotel was excellent. I suspect you were unlucky with your choice.

I'm with you, my Great Heck Navigator was foul and I had to wash my mouth out with Thornbridge Astryd which was acceptable. I'm not photogenic either.

I thought it was rather better than acceptable. Nearly my BOTW. Just shows how different we all are. :D