PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24th March 2019)

ROBCamra
24-03-2019, 12:34
:cheers:

Mobyduck
24-03-2019, 17:43
Some very nice beer this week, some a bit pricey in that London.

Castle Rock Harvest Pale
Three Brothers IPA
Great Newsome Stoggy
Marble Pint
Magic Rock Conjurer
Magic Rock Highwire Grapefruit
Anspach+ Hobday Belgian Pale Ale
Anspach + Hobday Smoked Brown
Thornbridge Crackendale
BrewDog Clockwork Tangerine
Pressure Drop Tambourine Mountain
Petrus Aged Pale (Foeder No 102)
Stigbergets 0/0 Katten IIPA

As I said some top beer was had and Three Brothers that was pipped at the post last week was nailed on this, but pipped again, this week by BOTW Petrus Aged Pale , a complex on many levels sour keg beer thoroughly enjoyed in my favourite London beer pub, The Kings Arms. (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24952/)

Tris39
24-03-2019, 18:02
Mighty Oak Brewing's Kings at The Myddleton Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23644/) . Very nice and £2.10 the half.

Aqualung
24-03-2019, 20:29
A visit to South Wales resulted in this :-

Brain's Dark 3.5%
Tiny Rebel One Inch Punch 3.9%
Grey Trees Caradog's Bitter 3.9%
Brain's SA Gold 4.3%
Bru Pale 4.3%
Half Moon Session IPA 4.3%
Bluestone Hammerstone 4.5%
Animal Platypus 4.6%
Brewdog 5am Saint (keg) 5.0%
Tiny Rebel Pump Up The Jam 5.0%
Tiny Rebel Stay Puft 5.2%
Brewdog Punk IPA (keg) 5.4%
Loddon Forbury Lion 5.5%
Tiny Rebel Stay Puft Imperial Chocolate (keg) 9.0%

When Tiny Rebel get things right it's usually pretty good. They haven't got it right with the Pump Up The Jam which is described as a Jam Doughnut Pale Ale. It tasted like a cheap and nasty budget jam from a supermarket. I was glad to nail the Turbo Stay Puft but it didn't taste all that different to the standard cask version. It was a whopping £7.80 a pint while my BOTW Stay Puft was three quid less at the Newport Tint Rebel bar.

BOTWW Tiny Rebel Stay Puft

london calling
24-03-2019, 21:17
Nothing mind blowing this week but this was the best
Mothership -cardoman and rose stout
new London all female brewery according to the blurb. I am sure a new brewery describing itself as an all male brewery might get some adverse press.

Aqualung
24-03-2019, 21:53
I am sure a new brewery describing itself as an all male brewery might get some adverse press.

Quite, and has anyone complained about the Mordue Radgie Gadgie which is Geordie speak for a miserable old bloke which is sexist. I'm proud that the head brewer of my local brewery is a mixed race female but can't help thinking that the issue of sexist beer names is overblown. Dorothy Goodbody at Wye Valley seems to have been replaced which is the only one I had any doubts about. Elsie Mo has a new clip and Top Totty has been renamed. Are there really that many others?

Wittenden
24-03-2019, 22:27
Kent:

Tonbridge-Old Chestnut 4.4%abv.Dark,fruity.Serious malt.
Three Legs-Pale 3.7%abv.Grassy.Hints of austerity.
Larkin's-Traditional 3.4%abv.nutty.
My BOTW, for the second time , is Three Legs Pale.

Spinko
25-03-2019, 04:20
Hawkshead - Brodies Prime Porter

RealAleRobUK
25-03-2019, 09:38
A very quiet week for me.

Marston's Pedigree
Vocation x Yeastie Boys Breakfast Club

No prizes for guessing that the Breakfast Club was my Beer of the Week. 6.9% ABV stout in a can.

RealAleRobUK
25-03-2019, 09:41
Quite, and has anyone complained about the Mordue Radgie Gadgie which is Geordie speak for a miserable old bloke which is sexist. I'm proud that the head brewer of my local brewery is a mixed race female but can't help thinking that the issue of sexist beer names is overblown. Dorothy Goodbody at Wye Valley seems to have been replaced which is the only one I had any doubts about. Elsie Mo has a new clip and Top Totty has been renamed. Are there really that many others?

I think Robinsons Dizzy Blonde gets a fair amount of stick, but they don't seem to have caved yet, in terms of name or pump clip design.

aleandhearty
25-03-2019, 10:15
With no pub visits, last week, I certainly enjoyed my beer, this week.

Roosters - Rude Boy.
Ilkley - Alpha Beta.*
Arbor - I Speak For The Trees.
Wild Beer - Bibble.
Roosters - Fort Smith.
Five Points - Railway Porter.*
Abbeydale - Grafter.
Rat - Shamrats.*
Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
Wilde Child - Columbus.*
Great Newsome - Holderness Dark.
Kelham Island - Tiger Cub.
North Riding - Mosaic.*
Blackjack - Rotating Hop West Coast IPA.*

All the asterisked beers were pretty good, but the West Coast IPA just pipped the Alpha Beta.

Thuck Phat
25-03-2019, 10:19
All decent beer this week:

Adnams Ghost Ship*
Moongazer Ruby Ale*
Moongazer Wild One*
Oakham Bishops Farewell*
Hop Back Summer Lightening*

BOTW Moongazer Wild One. A seasonal from the Norfolk Brewhouse. 4.3% and initially very bitter which quickly becomes moorish making it easily sessionable.

Aqualung
25-03-2019, 10:48
I think Robinsons Dizzy Blonde gets a fair amount of stick, but they don't seem to have caved yet, in terms of name or pump clip design.

I'd forgotten that one. If I remember rightly the imagery is or was a scantily dressed woman but the name is nothing more than a play on words for a style of beer. If the brewery did change the clip would they be within their rights to order tenancies to change it if they refused to do so?

RealAleRobUK
25-03-2019, 11:06
I'd forgotten that one. If I remember rightly the imagery is or was a scantily dressed woman but the name is nothing more than a play on words for a style of beer. If the brewery did change the clip would they be within their rights to order tenancies to change it if they refused to do so?

That's the one.

Now, I stand corrected, as it seems that Robinsons may have released a new pump clip for Dizzy Blonde:

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/store/dizzy-blonde/c-24/p-833

But this page still shows the bottles with the original design:

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/store/dizzy-blonde/c-24/p-154

In addition to selling merchandise (keyrings and t-shirts) with that same logo on.

I haven't seen the new pump clip in use yet, so it's either a very recent change or they aren't pushing it too hard yet. Call me cynical, but perhaps they have a big stock of old merchandise they want to shift first...?

trainman
25-03-2019, 14:05
4.4% in the bottle but 3.8% on cask?
I thought the Zs used to be reversed (as in mirror image), I don't se that here...

RealAleRobUK
25-03-2019, 14:28
I thought the Zs used to be reversed (as in mirror image), I don't se that here...

I hadn't spotted the difference in ABV.

I don't ever recall the Zs being reversed, but then there is no guarantee I would have noticed anyway. Nothing to back that up shows on Goggle image search, but it did lead me to this...

https://twitter.com/robbiesbrewery/status/616320442907779072

Could that be what you are thinking of?

Aqualung
25-03-2019, 16:46
This is a common practice for beers that are bottled as well as cask. I think the idea is to retrieve any flavour lost with pasteurisation.

Bucking Fastard
25-03-2019, 23:39
Harlow,Clerkenwell,Thames Path.

Mc Mullens -- AK
Redemption -- Big Chief *
Redemption --Rock the Kazbek *(>3PT)
Siren -- Broken Dream Breakfast Stout *
Fullers -- London Pride
Black Sheep -- Best Bitter
Sam Smiths -- Old Brewery Bitter
Woodeforde's -- Nice Try
Greene King -- Scrumdown
St Austell -- Proper Job

BOTW goes to Redemption Rock the Kazbek ,a very fine session ale taken in quantity on a very fine session in The Craft Beer Co (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/).

Next week is all about Portsmouth,although there will be trips to Long Itchington and Croydon.