PDA

View Full Version : PUG Summer Crawl 2019

Aqualung
12-03-2019, 21:53
As far as I'm concerned it has already been agreed that this should be in the North and I've no objection to that. It seems a travesty to me that there has never been a full blown PUG visit to Sheffield so that's my nomination and with a preference for covering the Kelham Island area. The fact I've been there before doesn't put me off at all.
As for dates I would suggest June up to the start of school holidays in July but given that last time I looked Sheffield wasn't a holiday resort that may be debatable.
I hope nobody is going to suggest that Sheffield in Yorkshire is not in the North!!!

Mobyduck
12-03-2019, 22:09
I hope nobody is going to suggest that Sheffield in Yorkshire is not in the North!!!

It's clearly Southern North.

Aqualung
12-03-2019, 22:16
It's clearly Southern North.

Joking apart you're probably right but where does the proper ..... No! Stop it! Stop it!!!!

Mobyduck
12-03-2019, 22:22
Sheffield is somewhere I would be keen on, not having been drinking there before.

london calling
12-03-2019, 22:27
Four of us went for the weekend for my 60th birthday.Loved it.Great pubs and great people.

ETA
12-03-2019, 22:47
Joking apart you're probably right but where does the proper ..... No! Stop it! Stop it!!!!

If it's North of the North Downs, it must be North.

Bucking Fastard
13-03-2019, 07:03
I would have to agree that Sheffield is an obvious omission from our now extensive crawl list.

Gann
13-03-2019, 09:24
Also very happy with Sheffield....

Pangolin
15-03-2019, 00:55
I have no problems with Sheffield

oldboots
15-03-2019, 09:49
Not that I have any problem with Sheffield but just for reference these threads have the previous possible venues for northern crawls.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?22291-POLL-March-2016-PuG-crawl-venue
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27902-Venue-for-Autumn-Crawl-12th-October-2018

Aqualung
15-03-2019, 21:46
Not that I have any problem with Sheffield but just for reference these threads have the previous possible venues for northern crawls.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?22291-POLL-March-2016-PuG-crawl-venue
http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27902-Venue-for-Autumn-Crawl-12th-October-2018

Having visited Stockport & Manchester with the last two Northern outings that must surely exclude Wigan, Chester & Macclesfield. Nobody has spoken out against Sheffield so we may get away without a poll if that continues. As far as dates go I've already got three weekends booked for June so my options are limited.

ROBCamra
16-03-2019, 08:49
Having visited Stockport & Manchester with the last two Northern outings that must surely exclude Wigan, Chester & Macclesfield.

:confused: Why would going to Manchester exclude Macclesfield? :confused:

Mobyduck
16-03-2019, 10:15

It begins with an M. :D

AlanH
16-03-2019, 13:29
Having visited Stockport & Manchester with the last two Northern outings that must surely exclude Wigan, Chester & Macclesfield.

Visiting Brighton on the last Southern didn't exclude Lewes, Worthing and Portsmouth!

oldboots
16-03-2019, 13:42
Oh dear I feel a discussion about north-east/north-west, south-east/south central/south-west coming on, someone call the geography police :D

Strongers
16-03-2019, 15:11
My attendance will be based on the cost of hauling myself up from Eastbourne. Although I will say that a trip to Sheffield would be very tempting.

rpadam
16-03-2019, 17:31
Sheffield's always good, but Chorley & Leyland did well in the previous poll (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27902-Venue-for-Autumn-Crawl-12th-October-2018) and there seem to be some interesting options there too?

sheffield hatter
16-03-2019, 23:15
Chorley & Leyland did well in the previous poll (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27902-Venue-for-Autumn-Crawl-12th-October-2018) and there seem to be some interesting options there too?

Yes, that was the poll that was won by the Manchester tram network, until ROB Camra came back from holiday and pointed out that there are hardly any pubs worth doing that are within reasonable reach of the tram system (except in the city centre, where walking is better anyway). Chorley and Leyland is another of Aqualung's inspired suggestions, some of which (Newcastle-under-Lyme) work and some of which clearly don't.

I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion (if it were a local council meeting I would have to "declare an interest"), but the idea that we ignore the claims of the rail hub of the north midlands and beer capital of the UK in favour of two small towns on an obscure branch line in the Red Rose county, well, my hackles just rise, that's what they do.

Sheffield's always good

That's more like it. Now you're talking sense.

Aqualung
17-03-2019, 08:42
Sheffield's always good, but Chorley & Leyland did well in the previous poll (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27902-Venue-for-Autumn-Crawl-12th-October-2018) and there seem to be some interesting options there too?

There are some very good options but also lots of micropubs which may not be ideal for a large group to turn up at.

Aqualung
17-03-2019, 08:45

It's only a couple of stops away, as is Stoke on other trains that don't stop there!

Aqualung
17-03-2019, 08:55
Visiting Brighton on the last Southern didn't exclude Lewes, Worthing and Portsmouth!

Lewes and Worthing were chosen before it was pointed out that they are very close to Brighton. Portsmouth isn't really that close to Brighton depending on how you define "close". Parts of South London are probably just as close.

AlanH
17-03-2019, 12:58

Chester and Sheffield are both 38 miles from Manchester, but Sheffield is nearer to Stockport than Chester is!

Life wouldn't be the same without a bit of Geography Galore! :p , but I do believe Sheffield is due and likely to be selected.
It is a "beast from the East" from Wales where you have to change horses 3 or 4 times but I look forward to doing the "usual suspects" for the first time.

oldboots
17-03-2019, 16:07
but the idea that we ignore the claims of the rail hub of the north midlands and beer capital of the UK

utter drivel in so many ways.

sheffield hatter
17-03-2019, 17:55
utter drivel in so many ways.

Ah, I'm glad you spotted that!

Aqualung
17-03-2019, 19:20
Chester and Sheffield are both 38 miles from Manchester, but Sheffield is nearer to Stockport than Chester is!

I didn't realise they were that close but Sheffield is the other side of the Pennines. I was told at school that Manchester was so called as it was near Chester.

Life wouldn't be the same without a bit of Geography Galore! :p , but I do believe Sheffield is due and likely to be selected.
It is a "beast from the East" from Wales where you have to change horses 3 or 4 times but I look forward to doing the "usual suspects" for the first time.
Yes, it doesn't bother me at all that I may have been to the pubs before. If the date doesn't clash I'll be staying in the Midlands or North.
I got an email from Premier Inn today that put Sheffield in the Midlands!

oldboots
18-03-2019, 18:27
Looks like Sheffield isn't too hot on geography either

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47612876

sheffield hatter
18-03-2019, 19:47

Excellent! Are you sure that's not from the Daily Mash? Actually, no - you couldn't make it up.

Tris39
18-03-2019, 19:56
Looks like Sheffield isn't too hot on geography either

Though Patrick wasn't Irish and many believe his birthplace was Wales, so all's well.:pray:

Aqualung
18-03-2019, 20:34
Though Patrick wasn't Irish and many believe his birthplace was Wales, so all's well.:pray:

Yes, I heard that and wasn't St George the owner of a kebab shop in Camden Town?

ETA
25-03-2019, 06:52
Have we ever considered Stafford? There seem to be a few decent pubs in the town centre and several more within walking distance.

Aqualung
25-03-2019, 07:54
Have we ever considered Stafford? There seem to be a few decent pubs in the town centre and several more within walking distance.

I certainly have and will let you do the honours for the Autumn Midlands extravaganza. It has the added plus of having a very cheap LNWR fare from Euston with the option of returning on a faster Virgin service. I believe it has good access for just about everyone.

Nobody has spoken out against Sheffield so can we take it as the venue and set up a poll for the date?

AlanH
25-03-2019, 08:51
I certainly have and will let you do the honours for the Autumn Midlands extravaganza. It has the added plus of having a very cheap LNWR fare from Euston with the option of returning on a faster Virgin service. I believe it has good access for just about everyone.

Nobody has spoken out against Sheffield so can we take it as the venue and set up a poll for the date?

Stafford is awfully close to Stoke/Newcastle-U-L :evilgrin: - but not bad to get to even from Wales ;) - and it is definitely in the North West Midlands!

sheffield hatter
28-03-2019, 16:11
Stafford is definitely in the North West Midlands!

I'm glad that's been settled.

Bucking Fastard
31-03-2019, 12:34
There doesn't seem to be much objection to Sheffield as the next venue but with advanced rail ticket now on sale for June maybe we should look at dates.I can do most Fridays or Saturday in June and July apart from the 28/29th June and 5th/6th July.

oldboots
31-03-2019, 13:11
Isn’t there a Brexit related day in June 😩
I’m good for 14th or 21st June or 5th and 12th July.

Aqualung
31-03-2019, 23:38
There doesn't seem to be much objection to Sheffield as the next venue but with advanced rail ticket now on sale for June maybe we should look at dates.I can do most Fridays or Saturday in June and July apart from the 28/29th June and 5th/6th July.
I'm glad you came up with this. as the only June weekend I have free is the 21-22nd and at the moment all of July. Given the irrelevance of Brexit to Portsmouth I don't think that should be a factor especially as it is probably a piece of OB mischief! I've already got advance tickets booked into mid June so can we set up a poll for all the Friday and Saturday dates from 07-08 Jun to the third week in July when I assume the school holidays begin but I'm not sure they would affect Sheffield that much.

Pangolin
01-04-2019, 01:05
No, one poll is nowhere near enough. I think we should have a series of indicative votes to determine the way forward...

sheffield hatter
01-04-2019, 21:41
...can we set up a poll for all the Friday and Saturday dates from 07-08 Jun to the third week in July when I assume the school holidays begin but I'm not sure they would affect Sheffield that much.

I would suggest that the first weekend of June is too soon - tickets have already been on sale for some time. Maybe 21st June to 26th July (with the Friday including the Saturday, so that's six options)?

This may seem greedy, but I'm thinking of having two pub crawls in Sheffield - one on Friday and the other on Saturday. So those that want to do both days can, those that prefer a Saturday can do just that, and anyone who thinks their liver will not manage both days can do the Friday and slink off home to recover.

Aqualung
05-04-2019, 23:02
I would suggest that the first weekend of June is too soon - tickets have already been on sale for some time. Maybe 21st June to 26th July (with the Friday including the Saturday, so that's six options)?

I'll go along with that. July suits me best and School Holidays probably wouldn't affect Sheffield much as far as travelling goes. I'll be looking to travel up Wednesday and return Saturday, preferably staying at a PI or TL near the tram network. Apart from the JDWs and Kelham Island I've been to very little in Sheffield.