PDA

View Full Version : No Monmouthshire

bcfczuluarmy
11-03-2019, 20:59
Since Severn Bridge Tolls removed and me travelling across the water I've noticed that all pubs in Monmouthshire are classed as Gwent. Is this due to the postal data?

rpadam
11-03-2019, 21:02
Since Severn Bridge Tolls removed and me travelling across the water I've noticed that all pubs in Monmouthshire are classed as Gwent. Is this due to the postal data?
Must be - not sure how old the postcode address file is in Dave's database.

sheffield hatter
11-03-2019, 22:43
Looking briefly at this Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouthshire), it seems that the 1974 county of Gwent was the same as the previous Monmouthshire, but the present Monmouthshire is not the same as the previous Gwent. Apparently the use of the name "Monmouthshire" to refer to what is now called a unitary authority (rather than a county) was controversial in 1996.

More important from our point of view is that Monmouthshire 2.0 is not the same as Monmouthshire 1.0, having lost 40% of its area and 80% of its population. "The western two-fifths of the former Monmouthshire are now administered by other Welsh unitary authorities: Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen, Caerphilly, and Newport." It seems it makes sense to stick with the 1974 borders, at least in this case.

Aqualung
12-03-2019, 07:09
At least they haven't reintroduced "Part Of Flint". What was that all about???

It's interesting what a hotchpotch the GBG has made of Wales with one unified Glamorgan, Gwent looking like it's based on the 1974 county and the rest carved up into arbitrary geographical areas (W, NE, NW & Mid).
I believe there are similar issues in Scotland but I'm not that familiar with it.

bcfczuluarmy
14-03-2019, 15:50
I'll just shut my eyes when going up the A466 when passing the Monmouthshire/Sir Fynwy sign and think Gwent.