PDA

View Full Version : Sent to Coventry !!

Delboy20
01-07-2010, 09:19
Hi all,

I will be going to Coventry soon for an all day pub crawl. I haven't been there for a few years.
Any suggestions of "must visit" pubs ??

Cheers,

Del.

ROBCamra
01-07-2010, 09:30
Hi all,

I will be going to Coventry soon for an all day pub crawl. I haven't been there for a few years.

Cheers,

Del.

I worked in Coventry for a couple of weeks about 18 months ago. The city centre is almost a good pub free zone.

The only two of note that I visited were The Old Windmill & The Gatehouse Tavern. The Gatehouse has a large pub garden, unusual in a concrete nightmare like Coventry.

They're still in the GBG 2010 so hopefully they will still be good.

Prepare yourself for a Yates's, Walkabout, O'Neills etc scumbag crawl unless to get out of the city by a couple of miles. :(

Bucking Fastard
01-07-2010, 09:56
Del,

If you have got time to visit the outer reaches of Cov,have a go at the The Greyhound Inn www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/38122/ .It a historic canalside pub,GBG listed and very genuine.Its to the north of the city ,a mile from The Ricoh. I guess it's a bus ride from the city centre,I normally get there via boat.

I would also be interested in what your research throws up,as I intend to do a crawl around the city centre sometime in August on my way down the Coventry Canal on the journey back to London.

hopwas
01-07-2010, 14:36
Hi all,

Cheers,

Del.

Just don't go to The Fairfax where The Old Windmill is close by. You have been warned... :whistle:

I haven't been to Coventry since 2006 so I cannot help you there sorry.

rpadam
01-07-2010, 19:50
This one was pretty good when I last visited (2008):

Whitefriars Olde Ale House http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52342/

Delboy20
02-07-2010, 22:44
Thanks everyone.

The Old Windmill and The Gatehouse will be on my list. As will White friars Olde Ale House.

As for your suggestion Hoppy -" Just don't go to The Fairfax where The Old Windmill is close by. You have been warned..." - That is like a red rag to a bull. I will have to pay a visit now but why the warning ?? Whats wrong with it ??

I must say Cov doesn't look the most attractive City - didn't The Specials sing about it in "Ghost Town" ??

Cheers,

Del.

gillhalfpint
03-07-2010, 08:40
Whitefriars is a pub you really must go upstairs for a wander round if you are interested in old buildings. When I went up there were all sorts of rooms, nooks and crannies under the rafters.

Agree Greyhound is eorth a visit, I walked.