PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24th February 2019)

ROBCamra
24-02-2019, 12:14
:cheers:

Mobyduck
24-02-2019, 19:29
Some interesting and very good beers this week.

Castle Rock Harvest Pale
Long Man Long Blonde
Sambrooks Young Harvey*
Pomona Island Pale*
Siren Suspended In Chinook*
Vibrant Forest Mantra*
Cloudwater AW18 Bitter*
Neepsend Erato
Double Barrelled Parka*
Double Barrelled Wiffle Ball*
Double Barrelled /Elusive Too Much Excitement*
Wylam/To Ol Warning The Curious*
Thornbridge Hacksaw*
Westgate Blonde
Muirhouse The Greedy King*

Despite many well conditioned beers one stands out, surprising and out of character for me choosing a Best Bitter, not surprising is the brewer. BOTW Cloudwater AW18 Bitter, fantastic stuff.

london calling
24-02-2019, 20:44
Had one lager,five pale and hoppy ,and ten stouts and porters but this red ale from a little Kent brewer was excellent.Probably never come across it again.
Headcorn Hop -route 53 red 5.2

Aqualung
24-02-2019, 21:21
Another poor week for me with just two visits to two local Spoons :-

Banks's Mild 3.5%
ELB Nightwatchman 4.5%
Enefield Speculation 4.8%
Sambrook's Powerhouse Porter 4.9%
Summerskill Plymouth Porter 5.0%
Brewdog Punk IPA (keg) 5.4%

Summerskill is a brewery that's been around for a while but I've never really rated but their Plymouth Porter was in first class condition at the Wanstead George. I was offered the Punk IPA as the "free" drink with food but it's not listed on the menus.
Next week sees a few days in Wales so hopefully a longer list.

BOTW Summerskill Plymouth Porter

Wittenden
24-02-2019, 22:12
but this red ale from a little Kent brewer was excellent.Probably never come across it again.
Headcorn Hop -route 53 red 5.2
We must be up the road from them, but I hadn't heard of them until this weekend : Google didn't help. Apparently they are french.

Wittenden
24-02-2019, 22:15
Kent

Three Legs-Pale 3.7%abv. These chaps are popular in the region now.Pale haze, nettley hops.Unfortunately, the glass wasn't 100%, but still my BOTW.

Thuck Phat
25-02-2019, 09:54
Quiet week with three old favourites: Oakham Bishops Farewell, Adnams Ghost Ship and a particularly fresh barrel of BOTW Brancaster Oystercatcher going down very well. Not the whole barrel sadly.

aleandhearty
25-02-2019, 11:17
Quiet week for me.

Chin Chin - Mild Thing.
North Riding - Cascade.*
Thornbridge - McConnel's.*
Gun - Extra Pale.
Great Heck - Yakima IPA.

As I've nominated the Cascade before, I'll give it to the McConnel's, an easy drinking vanilla stout.

Bucking Fastard
25-02-2019, 14:57
Oxford Street and an unexpected trip to Leicester.

Five Points -- XPA *
St Austell -- Proper Job
Everards -- Tiger
Arbor -- Breakfast Stout *
Leatherbritches -- Packhorse (brewed for Blue Boar)
XT -- M*
West End -- Project Pale

BOTW goes to Arbor Breakfast Stout,wonderful at 7.4% on top form in the terrific Blue Boar (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84554/)

Next week boating in the Chilterns during the heat wave.

Spinko
25-02-2019, 17:42
Rat - White Rat. In the Hop, Leeds.

london calling
25-02-2019, 19:36
We must be up the road from them, but I hadn't heard of them until this weekend : Google didn't help. Apparently they are french.
According to a friend they are based in an industrial unit near to the small aerodrome at Headcorn.They have been brewing beer in their brewpub for 8 years at Le Touquet.The owners fly between the 2 places. Very small scale ,polypins and bottles.cheers

Wittenden
26-02-2019, 08:29
According to a friend they are based in an industrial unit near to the small aerodrome at Headcorn.They have been brewing beer in their brewpub for 8 years at Le Touquet.The owners fly between the 2 places. Very small scale ,polypins and bottles.cheers

Small world! I know the people at the airfield-she is our vet. Even closer to us than Old Dairy.

Real Ale Ray
27-02-2019, 17:37
Kirkstall & Yeastie Boys - Ryeteous in The Market Ale House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81750/)

Fabulous beer, quite dangerous and very quaffable at 6.7%

Mobyduck
27-02-2019, 18:20
Rat - White Rat. In the Hop, Leeds.

Whats the deal with Rat brewery, my local has White Rat on at the moment but under Osset Brewery, is there a tie up here ?

ROBCamra
27-02-2019, 18:30
Whats the deal with Rat brewery, my local has White Rat on at the moment but under Osset Brewery, is there a tie up here ?

Ossett own Rat along with Fernandes, Salt & Riverhead.

Most of White Rat is brewed at Ossett rather than the Rat & Ratchet anyway.

oldboots
27-02-2019, 19:56
A very thin week, the best beer was a bottle of St Bernardus Abt but draught wise Moor Stout was rather good and head & shoulders above almost everything else I had (which wasn't
much :mad: )

Mobyduck
27-02-2019, 20:00
Ossett own Rat along with Fernandes, Salt & Riverhead.

Most of White Rat is brewed at Ossett rather than the Rat & Ratchet anyway.

Thanks.

Spinko
28-02-2019, 04:18

We talked about this in the pub on Saturday. I have assumed for years it's several breweries operating under the volume tax cap...

RealAleRobUK
28-02-2019, 10:38
Quite a few good beers consumed but my beer of the week would have to be La Goudale - Blonde à l'ancienne by Brasserie Goudale - Les Brasseurs de Gayant which was purchased from Morrisons a while back. 7.2% ABV and dangerously easy drinking.

Also worthy of mention during the same week - Dark Matter (4.5% ABV) by Atom Beers on cask at Corn Exchange (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60321/) in Hull and a bottle of 90/~ Wee Heavy (7.4% ABV) by Belhaven Brewery that I bought as part of a box set from Lidl ages ago and had only just got round to drinking.