PDA

View Full Version : Derby Beer Festival - anybody going?

ROBCamra
29-06-2010, 08:56
I know Derby doesn't really need a beer festival as the whole city is a beer festival anyway.

But they have two per year and the Summer one is the 7th - 11th July this year.

As usual we'll be there for the Saturday lunch/afternoon session.

Anyone else likely to be there? :drinkup:

ROBCamra
05-07-2010, 12:45
Well as the silence has been deafening, I'm guessing we'll be on our own then. :o

oldboots
05-07-2010, 14:48
Well as the silence has been deafening, I'm guessing we'll be on our own then. :o

Look on the bright side your (or more likley Mrs Camra's) STALKER might be there :D,

Sadly I'm tied up with other stuff so I can't join in the fun this time.

Soup Dragon
05-07-2010, 15:04
I dont tend to do beer festivals these days, Rob. If i want flat beer, i just nip down south for the day:D

ROBCamra
05-07-2010, 15:10
Look on the bright side your (or more likley Mrs Camra's) STALKER might be there :D,

Not seen him there before :muppet::muppet::muppet:, so fingers crossed.

At least there's 3 different rooms so when he goes for a beer we can wander off elsewhere. :cheers:

trainman
05-07-2010, 15:11
I still have to do Derby, but it'll be a pub crawl, rather than a festival, when I finally get there. (Knew I should've booked the megatrain tkts when I saw £12 rtn for 2 travellers!).

Maldenman
05-07-2010, 15:40
I had Derby all booked up last August, cheap train ticket paid for..............I woke up on the day with Delhi belly and spent most of the day on the bathroom floor. I must have another go.

an_ecumenical_matter
05-07-2010, 18:32
Father Jack will be lying in a state with "Cheshire Cat" from the other site at Hereford beer fest on Friday.

ROBCamra
12-07-2010, 08:38

He was !!! Did you squeal on us?

He'd never even been to Derby before but still turned up at the festival.

Luckily by the time he found us over the 3 rooms we were on our last drinks.

We helpfully told him where the Brunswick and the Alex were.....

Then quickly went in the completely opposite direction to The Greyhound. :whistle: :D

oldboots
13-07-2010, 06:54
He was !!! Did you squeal on us?

Course not, how could I? I don't know which institution he lives in!

trainman
17-07-2010, 09:37
The thread has prompted action!
I am now the proud holder of two (mega) rail tickets, London-Derby rtn, total princely sum £12.50 (inc booking fee), allowing me & a pal 8hrs 35mins to tick off the beery delights of Derby's pubs on 08Sep. I'll look forward to that.

ROBCamra
17-07-2010, 10:28
The thread has prompted action!
I am now the proud holder of two (mega) rail tickets, London-Derby rtn, total princely sum £12.50 (inc booking fee), allowing me & a pal 8hrs 35mins to tick off the beery delights of Derby's pubs on 08Sep. I'll look forward to that.

When you get off the train and go to the Alex and the Brunswick you may never get into the city centre itself. :p

trainman
17-07-2010, 14:16
When you get off the train and go to the Alex and the Brunswick you may never get into the city centre itself. :p

Yes, I'm sort of aware that those institutions could prove problematic, but reckon a quickie on the way out, and a joker on the way back to station will have to suffice. The target list seems to have become 10 (from 8) so, even with only two jokers, the day will be a gallon & a half. Ah well, I should sleep all the way back to London.
In no order yet; Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station Inn, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill, Brewery Tap, Exeter Arms.

ROBCamra
17-07-2010, 15:12
The Falstaff is quite a way out of town, it's a bus ride away. Might be worth dropping it if time constrained.

You can also add the newly reopened Greyhound another Derby Brewery outlet instead.

Whilst the Babington isn't the most impressive JDW the bank of 18 changing guests is. :cheers:

oldboots
18-07-2010, 08:46
In no order yet; Alexandra, Brunswick, Falstaff, Flowerpot, Smithfield, Station Inn, Olde Dolphin, Old Silk Mill, Brewery Tap, Exeter Arms.

Remember the Alex' opens at 3pm Mon-Wed. That one caught out Soupy and me so we went from the Brunswick to the Old Silk Mill making the Alex' the final call before the railway station, which is almost opposite. We've also both done reviews of the crawl if it helps.

trainman
18-07-2010, 09:32
The Falstaff is quite a way out of town, it's a bus ride away. Might be worth dropping it if time constrained. You can also add the newly reopened Greyhound another Derby Brewery outlet instead.
Whilst the Babington isn't the most impressive JDW the bank of 18 changing guests is. :cheers:

Nooooo... don't give me more to add - I'm already regretting booking the rtn at 20:01 instead of the 21:20, but reckoned I'd be pretty much out of the game by then anyway. Realised Falstaff was off track compared to others but, as a brewpub, has to trump even 18 pumps at Babington on this occasion. Most unlike me, but may have to succumb to a taxi because of time constraints.
Sounds like it should've been an overnighter but, with those train ticket prices, cheaper to revisit another day.

Remember the Alex' opens at 3pm Mon-Wed. That one caught out Soupy and me so we went from the Brunswick to the Old Silk Mill making the Alex' the final call before the railway station, which is almost opposite. We've also both done reviews of the crawl if it helps.

Thanks for that; have been meaning to check the first port of call as we need to get straight into proceedings at 11:30. I'll have a read of your tour reviews, cheers.

trainman
18-07-2010, 09:56
Most unlike me, but may have to succumb to a taxi because of time constraints.

Well, I thought a taxi from Flowerpot to Falstaff would solve the problem, but it seems it would still be 20min walk to circle back to Station Inn, so doubts creeping in, but I'd be gutted to miss it.
I note the mention of a dartboard at the Brunswick, anyone know of other boards on my list? Strictly comedy darts only, you understand...

ROBCamra
18-07-2010, 10:40
Well, I thought a taxi from Flowerpot to Falstaff would solve the problem, but it seems it would still be 20min walk to circle back to Station Inn, so doubts creeping in, but I'd be gutted to miss it.
I note the mention of a dartboard at the Brunswick, anyone know of other boards on my list? Strictly comedy darts only, you understand...

The Alex has one. I think the Flowerpot does as well. The Station used to have but I don't remember seeing it when we called in last week.