PDA

View Full Version : Facebook and WhatPub links on new pub entries

sheffield hatter
21-01-2019, 18:00
An odd request for the attention of anyone submitting a new pub:

I've noticed that if Facebook and WhatPub links are submitted before a new pub entry has gone live (i.e. before it has been approved by one of the admin volunteers, aka The Seven Dwarfs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0x0KYChq4)), the link can only be approved as "offical site of (pub name)", rather than self-identifying as the Facebook and WhatPub links respectively, which is what happens normally. This appears to be a glitch, because obviously the admin wonks would much prefer that these links were added by the pub submitter than not. However, while the glitch persists (and it may be that Snow White has better things to do than to fix this), it would perhaps be better if pub submitters didn't submit these links, as it causes more work rather than saving it.

Heigh-Ho!

rpadam
21-01-2019, 18:49
… it would perhaps be better if pub submitters didn't submit these links...
Rather than not submitting these links, if you wait until the pub goes live then they should self-identify as Facebook or WhatPub in the normal way without any further action (or perhaps that only works if you happen to be a dwarf - not sure)?

Aqualung
21-01-2019, 19:38
Rather than not submitting these links, if you wait until the pub goes live then they should self-identify as Facebook or WhatPub in the normal way without any further action (or perhaps that only works if you happen to be a dwarf - not sure)?

That's the way I do it. I'm not a dwarf although I'm not very tall and it works for me, I believe that Twitter, Facebook and What Pub links can be added without validation provided they are in the correct format. Obviously self validation is a good idea.
While on the subject of web links, I've been trying to remember to delete any JDW Facebook and Twitter links and sometimes having to re-instate the What Pub link deleted in error. I've also been trying to update the main JDW web site link when it is incorrect. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

NickDavies
21-01-2019, 20:12
Probably aimed at me for getting all enthusiastic over the i Paper list of new/refurbished pubs. For what it's worth I do go hunting for twatter and proper web sites and submit them to WhatPub too.

I'll desist in future if it's deemed unhelpful, though I'm bound to forget to add them later, which is probably also unhelpful.

Apologies if I've caused annoyance or extra work.

N

bcfczuluarmy
21-01-2019, 21:12
From experience if you update an existing pubs own website with one that's defunct over starting a thread saying dead link the magic happens by the midgets... No sure if it is a help or a hindrance to them. Maybe they can confer.

rpadam
21-01-2019, 21:38
From experience if you update an existing pubs own website with one that's defunct over starting a thread saying dead link the magic happens by the midgets... No sure if it is a help or a hindrance to them. Maybe they can confer.
Often happens by magic!

rpadam
21-01-2019, 21:40
Probably aimed at me for getting all enthusiastic over the i Paper list of new/refurbished pubs. For what it's worth I do go hunting for twatter and proper web sites and submit them to WhatPub too.

I'll desist in future if it's deemed unhelpful, though I'm bound to forget to add them later, which is probably also unhelpful.

N
Keeping adding them would be my vote - I just sort out any automatic misdirections which I come across.

sheffield hatter
21-01-2019, 22:13

It's certainly not annoying, just a little frustrating because you're obviously trying to be helpful and it's not your fault that it involves a (small amount) of extra work to add the links in the way they're meant to be.

That's not my experience, because a couple of times I've forgotten and submitted the links pre-approval on pubs that I've added myself. Maybe it varies with what operating system and/or browser are being used?

rpadam
21-01-2019, 22:45

That's not my experience, because a couple of times I've forgotten and submitted the links pre-approval on pubs that I've added myself. Maybe it varies with what operating system and/or browser are being used?
Talking slightly at cross-purposes possibly? The same happens to me if adding links pre-approval (first reported to Snow White many moons ago) - what I was suggesting was just waiting to add the link(s) until after approval which should then work automatically for Camra What?ub and Facebook?

sheffield hatter
22-01-2019, 00:01
Talking slightly at cross-purposes possibly?

Yes, obviously! I misunderstood what you had written, which was essentially what I had said at the start of this thread...

oldboots
22-01-2019, 07:19
l which should then work automatically for Camra What?ub and Facebook?

Doesn't Dave use some sort of "spider" to add the WhatPub links, so no need for any human intervention?

rpadam
22-01-2019, 07:24
Doesn't Dave use some sort of "spider" to add the WhatPub links, so no need for any human intervention?
Yes, but it's not 100% accurate, missing some links and sometimes adding bogus Facebook pages (seemingly if the name and/or address have some similarities).

Rex_Rattus
22-01-2019, 17:07

Just to be sure that what I currently do is easiest for the dwarves. When I discover redundant official link, I add the correct link (assuming I can find one) which I seem to be able to self-authorise to position (1), then post a request in the "dead links" thread requesting that the redundant link be removed. Is that what you meant?

bcfczuluarmy
22-01-2019, 23:04
No I don't clog up with new thread just assume the link is reviewed against the defunct one and dwarfs do the needful rather than review a thread over a heigh ho work request that must get generated for them to spring into action.

Rex_Rattus
23-01-2019, 16:28
No I don't clog up with new thread just assume the link is reviewed against the defunct one and dwarfs do the needful rather than review a thread over a heigh ho work request that must get generated for them to spring into action.

Right, now I understand. You assume that when you add a new official link the dwarves will look at any existing link and remove it, because it must be redundant or you wouldn't be adding a new one. Now I can authorise any links I add, but I can't remove redundant ones, so will continue to ask for links to be deleted via the dead links thread - unless the "dwarves" tell me different. Of course I suspect the majority of this work falls on me in making the "dead links" posting including the insertion of the link to the pub in question, rather than any work for the dwarves. But I'm happy to be corrected.

sheffield hatter
23-01-2019, 21:11
But I'm happy to be corrected.

That looks about right.

#heigh-ho

bcfczuluarmy
24-01-2019, 00:34
So add a dead links thread then is the consensus as Santa doesn't exist to save work/effort for the midget miners?

Blackthorn
24-01-2019, 18:51
I thought there was an automated script that ran to remove dead links?

rpadam
24-01-2019, 19:02
Well, if there is, it doesn't work - dwarf action required!

oldboots
24-01-2019, 19:24

No one for the dwarfs, so keep reporting them please.

trainman
25-01-2019, 14:21
I am no longer seeing a whatpub link on any pub page. Has there been a falling out?

RealAleRobUK
25-01-2019, 14:48
I am no longer seeing a whatpub link on any pub page. Has there been a falling out?

I'm seeing them as normal.

Aqualung
25-01-2019, 14:52
They are still there for me.

trainman
25-01-2019, 15:27
How odd, I see the whatpub link if I am logged in, but not if i'm not, and I rarely am so can only think this is a new-ish thing?
It should surely be visible to all site visitors though?
Seems to affect 'pub details' information too...

AlanH
25-01-2019, 16:15
How odd, I see the whatpub link if I am logged in, but not if i'm not, and I rarely am so can only think this is a new-ish thing?
It should surely be visible to all site visitors though?
Seems to affect 'pub details' information too...

I am sure that has always been the case. You have to be logged in to see the What Pub link.

sheffield hatter
25-01-2019, 19:50
You have to be logged in to see the What Pub link.

Yes, only members can see the WatPub link. And of course you have to be logged in, otherwise how does anyone know you're a member?

NickDavies
26-01-2019, 21:36
I've been doing a bit of a trawl for broken links on pubs in my stamping ground and what surprises me the most is the number of active FB pages that display dead web links. And the worst offenders for breaking all sorts of links are pubcos/breweries , not the individual pubs themselves. And I'm looking at you, Hook Norton, as well as Martons and GK.