PDA

View Full Version : Bar snacks

Delboy20
10-11-2018, 19:10
We have all enjoyed the odd bar snack.
My personal favourite was the cheese triangle, cracker and pickled onion.
When it comes to crisps I have always been a Walkers fan but I cannot remember these (Murphys)
Where they a regional thing and if so where?

Tris39
10-11-2018, 19:17
We have all enjoyed the odd bar snack.
My personal favourite was the cheese triangle, cracker and pickled onion.
When it comes to crisps I have always been a Walkers fan but I cannot remember these (Murphys)
Where they a regional thing and if so where?

They could have been regional, such as Tudor crisps. The beermat looks like it dates from the 1970s?

Delboy20
10-11-2018, 19:26
Here is another later example....

rpadam
10-11-2018, 20:03
The ubiquitous Irish crisp company Tayto was founded by Joe 'Spud' Murphy so I'm sure that he must have been behind this company.

Pangolin
10-11-2018, 21:40
The ubiquitous Irish crisp company Tayto was founded by Joe 'Spud' Murphy so I'm sure that he must have been behind this company.

I certainly remember eating them, but I can't find any trace of involvement of Joe Murphy. I rather suspect it was someone else trying to cash in on his name (and even the potato in a hat logo resembles 'Mr Tayto' somewhat). If so, he probably sued them out of existence.
They even had a TV advert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bqEggD9dwJY).

Meanwhile on the original subject, take look at this lot on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Superpest/70s-and-80s-crisps/)!

Aqualung
10-11-2018, 22:10
I went to a micropub some years ago, and it was in fact this (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84265/) one where they had run out of Naga Chilli pork scratchings which I was told were produced by a local butcher. For the uninitiated the Naga Chilli is one that makes the Scotch Bonnet (or West Indian Hot Pepper as I've always known it) seem like a pimento. I really ought to go back!

Delboy20
10-11-2018, 22:12
I have never seen that advert before..

Without trying to go off at a tangent I need to watch Auf Wiedersehen Pet again .. still the best comedy / drama series ever....

london calling
10-11-2018, 22:14
I remember Tudor crisps from when I was a lad .Somewhere between1965 and 1970.Loved them but assumed they were Scottish crisps.Obviously I was a lad for more years than 65-70.

Mobyduck
10-11-2018, 22:23
Meanwhile on the original subject, take look at this lot on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Superpest/70s-and-80s-crisps/)!

That's a lot of calories.

Delboy20
11-11-2018, 09:03
Here's another..

Anyone remember these?

oldboots
11-11-2018, 10:03
I thought Murphy was a variety of potato but looking it up apparently it's just a slang term for any spud, I guess that's where the brand name came from. I vaguely remember Murphy's and Tudor but a definite regional one was Benson's from Blackburn - obviously available in Thwaites pubs in pre-T wa t s days. What ever happened to Golden Wonder?

My first encounter with pork scratchings was "Ernie Rounds" as sold in Bristol pubs in the 70s, - teeth breaking and complete with bristles - as disgusting then as they are now :evilgrin:. The Village in Salisbury used to serve prawn crackers doused in chilli powder of a Sunday lunchtime - excellent with a pint of Landlord.

Wittenden
11-11-2018, 10:49
Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? They had a warehouse in our village, but I never remember eating them in the pubs round about. The Gentle Author posted one of his evocative old photos of the East End featuring a billboard advert for them. I think it found its way onto these boards.

Farway
11-11-2018, 12:24
Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? .

Can't say I've seen them, I liked the ones on a card where the young damsel got to show bits as every pack was sold. Probably banned now

More tangential, there was a Smith's crisp factory where I lived, like breweries you could always smell when they had a batch on the go

Aqualung
11-11-2018, 12:47
Off on a tangent,but does anyone remember Percy Dalton's Famous Peanuts? They had a warehouse in our village, but I never remember eating them in the pubs round about. The Gentle Author posted one of his evocative old photos of the East End featuring a billboard advert for them. I think it found its way onto these boards.

I remember the name. were they the ones that came in their cases which you had to break open to get at the nuts?

My first encounter with pork scratchings was in the mid to late seventies on my first visit to the Black Country,.they were unheard of in London.

The Cambridge Blue before they ruined it used to sell fantastic poppadoms.

In the 1990s the Great Western used to do proper pork rolls including crackling and / or fried onions if you wanted that. They used to cook their own enormous pork joints and the rolls were those long soft white ones with a huge helping of pork filling it. They cost less than £1.50.
The ones they do now are rubbish in comparison, the pork is that pulled stuff that's been microwaved.

rpadam
11-11-2018, 14:10
What ever happened to Golden Wonder?
Still going... Golden Wonder (https://goldenwonder.com/), albeit rescued out of administration in 2006 by who? Tayto, of course!

oldboots
11-11-2018, 15:36
I’ll
Still going... Golden Wonder (https://goldenwonder.com/), albeit rescued out of administration in 2006 by who? Tayto, of course!

I’m surprised Real Ale Ray hasn’t commented on Tayto yet as we had a bit of chat about them in Manchester, Mrs RA who is of course Irish, wasn’t that impressed IIRC, they might be out on the P today of course, I know I am - see another thread 🤪

Real Ale Ray
11-11-2018, 16:42
Meanwhile on the original subject, take look at this lot on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.co.uk/Superpest/70s-and-80s-crisps/)![/QUOTE]

Mrs Ale here...ah Tayto Pub Crisps, that takes me back, a big part of my childhood, and of course Taytos! Yum

Real Ale Ray
11-11-2018, 16:55
I’ll

I’m surprised Real Ale Ray hasn’t commented on Tayto yet as we had a bit of chat about them in Manchester, Mrs RA who is of course Irish, wasn’t that impressed IIRC, they might be out on the P today of course, I know I am - see another thread 🤪

Yes I actually prefer Seabrook Ready Salted to Taytos these days, (don't let AEM hear that!). I only ever have them on trips back home, they accompany the Guinness quite nicely. Mrs Ale

Delboy20
11-11-2018, 17:22
My first encounter with pork scratchings was "Ernie Rounds" as sold in Bristol pubs in the 70s, - teeth breaking and complete with bristles - as disgusting then as they are now :evilgrin:. The Village in Salisbury used to serve prawn crackers doused in chilli powder of a Sunday lunchtime - excellent with a pint of Landlord.

Ernie rounds ...

Delboy20
11-11-2018, 17:24
How about a pie ??

Aqualung
11-11-2018, 18:00
How about a pie ??

I've heard of the name but can't recall ever trying one. I'm not actually much of a snacker as they are so ridiculously expensive.

Tris39
11-11-2018, 18:32
Can't say I've seen them, I liked the ones on a card where the young damsel got to show bits as every pack was sold. Probably banned now

More tangential, there was a Smith's crisp factory where I lived, like breweries you could always smell when they had a batch on the go

This was KP wasn't it?

Tris39
11-11-2018, 18:37
I certainly remember eating them, but I can't find any trace of involvement of Joe Murphy. I rather suspect it was someone else trying to cash in on his name (and even the potato in a hat logo resembles 'Mr Tayto' somewhat). If so, he probably sued them out of existence.
They even had a TV advert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bqEggD9dwJY).

Perhaps these were regional then. I'm sure I'd have remembered an advert featuring Madeline Smith. :evilgrin:

NickDavies
11-11-2018, 19:23
How about a pie ??

Generally kept in one of these

When I was a student union barman about 40 years ago the pies went in the "pie machine" cold at 11AM and kept at a handy bacteria incubation temperature until 2PM when it was turned off to give the bugs a rest from reproduction. It went back on again at 5PM. Any left over at the end of the day stayed in the machine and were sold to the people we didn't iike, which was most people, the next morning.

london calling
11-11-2018, 20:54
Remember Percy Daltons peanut sellers at Tottenham games in the mid seventies.

Farway
12-11-2018, 12:22
Generally kept in one of these

When I was a student union barman about 40 years ago the pies went in the "pie machine" cold at 11AM and kept at a handy bacteria incubation temperature until 2PM when it was turned off to give the bugs a rest from reproduction. It went back on again at 5PM. Any left over at the end of the day stayed in the machine and were sold to the people we didn't iike, which was most people, the next morning.

I remember those machines, often had a stale cheese roll display alongside :)

Delboy20
14-11-2018, 18:40
Way before my time - Meredith & Drew's ? I like the look of the Cheddar sandwich biscuit.

Aqualung
14-11-2018, 19:13
Way before my time - Meredith & Drew's ? I like the look of the Cheddar sandwich biscuit.

Their trading name vaguely rings a bell but that's about it.

Real Ale Ray
14-11-2018, 20:08
In the Birkey, Crosby, on a Friday night this bloke used to come in with a white coat on, and cinema style tray, selling crab sticks, cockles and prawns. It really caused a lot of combustion combined with a pint of Whitbread Mild.

Another snack was Bacon Frazzles, hanging up on a card behind the bar

oldboots
14-11-2018, 20:16
In the Birkey, Crosby, on a Friday night this bloke used to come in with a white coat on, and cinema style tray, selling crab sticks, cockles and prawns. It really caused a lot of combustion combined with a pint of Whitbread Mild.

The seafood men were once a common sight in pubs as were the Sally Army flogging War Cry. I used to like Whitbread Mild.

With a picture of a half naked floozie behind the snacks? KP and Big D cards used to be the same.

Aqualung
14-11-2018, 20:16

I've seen that in London pubs as well but going back many years.

Were they those crisp like things that looked like rectangles of streaky bacon?

Real Ale Ray
14-11-2018, 20:35
I've seen that in London pubs as well but going back many years.

Were they those crisp like things that looked like rectangles of streaky bacon?

Yes that's them, wonder if they're still around?

Aqualung
14-11-2018, 21:03

I doubt it, they seemed horrendously unhealthy to me with lots of salt and oil or fat. It's bad enough playing down to your GP how much beer you drink without also having to own up to getting through half a card of those things every night!

NickDavies
14-11-2018, 21:46

You mean these....

- Did you know your favourite Frazzles have been around since 1975

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292250078

Farway
15-11-2018, 12:28

Yep, I remember the sandwich biscuits, used to eat them at times, probably with a pint of Worthington E

Gann
15-11-2018, 15:13
The seafood men were once a common sight in pubs

Yes they certainly were and I remember them fondly. You could say "Prawn, but not forgotten" :D

rpadam
15-11-2018, 15:19
My first encounter with pork scratchings was in the mid to late seventies on my first visit to the Black Country,.they were unheard of in London.
There was a hawker selling fresh ‘pigs toenails’ (in plain paper bags, so not mass produced) on the first day of the Birmingham Christmas Market this afternoon.

Tris39
15-11-2018, 18:40
Yes they certainly were and I remember them fondly. You could say "Prawn, but not forgotten" :D

I remember the Cockle Man with cinema-style tray and paper cones of cockles sprinkled with vinegar, but this could have been as recently as the mid-'90s when he used to come into The Holly Bush (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23720/). I don't remember him coming into any other NW3 pub though.

Delboy20
15-11-2018, 19:45
The seafood man always came round the pubs on a Friday night. Trays of cockles, winkles, prawns and whelks along with the crab sticks. Plenty of vinegar and pepper on mine!

Bucking Fastard
16-11-2018, 08:03
I remember the Cockle Man with cinema-style tray and paper cones of cockles sprinkled with vinegar, but this could have been as recently as the mid-'90s when he used to come into The Holly Bush (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23720/). I don't remember him coming into any other NW3 pub though.

The last time I saw a Cockle Man was in the Smithfield (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/7223/?page=2)in 2011.There are some pubs with vans and stalls outside selling shell food but the wicker basket delivery in pub is unusual these days.

Al Bundy
16-11-2018, 08:42

A similar bloke used to go in the pubs on West Derby Rd, Tuebrook, selling seafood snacks and was probably sick of being asked to do 10 press ups.