PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019

Bucking Fastard
02-11-2018, 15:44
Please vote for whichever venues that you would like to visit on the next PuG crawl.

Aqualung
02-11-2018, 19:08
Hopefully the dates will be an easier matter. Easter is late (19th-22nd April) and if it's after that you're getting tied in with the May Bank Holidays.

Tris39
02-11-2018, 19:30
Please vote for whichever venues that you would like to visit on the next PuG crawl.

How is the voting determined/weighted? One contributor has voted only twice, another 10 times.

Aqualung
02-11-2018, 20:38
How is the voting determined/weighted? One contributor has voted only twice, another 10 times.

You can vote for as many options that you want.

Aqualung
02-11-2018, 20:43
You can vote for as many venues as you like. There is no way to indicate preferences which I imagine would be a tricky programming endeavour and could only be fair if you were made to vote for all the venues..

Gann
05-11-2018, 16:34
OK, the vote from the N21 jury is in...

Can I suggest that if there is a clear top 2 (or if we are really fortunate a top 3) , that we use this pole for the next time a visit to a Southern venue comes round, so that we can short cut the selection process....

Aqualung
05-11-2018, 19:24
Can I suggest that if there is a clear top 2 (or if we are really fortunate a top 3) , that we use this pole for the next time a visit to a Southern venue comes round, so that we can short cut the selection process....
I'm not sure what you are suggesting here, is it using the same poll minus the winner? That would seem reasonable but it does potentially leave one slot if someone can come up with somewhere.
Most of the discussion was centred around the location of the place beginning with "P" which was starting to drive me up the poll.

I feel sorry for Lewes which is doing about as well as the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Gann
06-11-2018, 13:07
I'm not sure what you are suggesting here.

I was actually suggesting something quite radical in that if Town A is a clear winner and Town B is a clear second place then we do Town A in March19 and Town B when it is the South's turn again without going to a re-vote at that time.
But I fully appreciate that will not be liked by those who enjoy the cut and thrust and discussion each time..

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 13:47
I was actually suggesting something quite radical in that if Town A is a clear winner and Town B is a clear second place then we do Town A in March19 and Town B when it is the South's turn again without going to a re-vote at that time.
But I fully appreciate that will not be liked by those who enjoy the cut and thrust and discussion each time..

Including whether It's North, South or Midlands .;) Sensible Idea, though might take a little fun out of the proceedings.

Aqualung
06-11-2018, 14:11

I actually voted for both of the two current front runners alone but in a years time might have changed my mind completely. For instance, I might have my own day out in Portsmouth during next Autumn and decide it's a load of rubbish. I'd rather see all the venues apart from the winner go in again. That would reduce arguments about Geography or whatever minimal.

Mobyduck
06-11-2018, 14:18
I actually voted for both of the two current front runners alone but in a years time might have changed my mind completely. For instance, I might have my own day out in Portsmouth during next Autumn and decide it's a load of rubbish. I'd rather see all the venues apart from the winner go in again. That would reduce arguments about Geography or whatever minimal.

Yes that's a fair point, I didn't vote for Southampton despite there being some really good pubs there, I just think they're too spread out, in a years time there night be two or three new venues plugging the gaps.

Aqualung
06-11-2018, 20:20
Yes that's a fair point, I didn't vote for Southampton despite there being some really good pubs there, I just think they're too spread out, in a years time there night be two or three new venues plugging the gaps.

And the opening of new micropubs in any town could transform a venue into a possibility but there is the worry of turning up mob handed to a smaller micropub.
This time I actually preferred Southampton to Portsmouth for the micropubs but as you say the centre isn't that great. In recent years I don't think I've been anywhere in Southampton other than the JDWs.

sheffield hatter
06-11-2018, 22:01
Including whether It's North, South or Midlands .;) Sensible Idea, though might take a little fun out of the proceedings.

Yes, we don't want sensible ideas when we're trying to generate a little fun.

I'd rather see all the venues apart from the winner go in again. That would reduce arguments about Geography.

How could we decide a pub crawl venue without arguments about geography?

#geographygalore

Tris39
08-11-2018, 20:20
I'm not sure what you are suggesting here, is it using the same poll minus the winner? That would seem reasonable but it does potentially leave one slot if someone can come up with somewhere.
Most of the discussion was centred around the location of the place beginning with "P" which was starting to drive me up the poll.

I feel sorry for Lewes which is doing about as well as the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Perhaps next year they'll burn a Pubs Galore effigy on Bonfire Night!:eek:

Aqualung
11-11-2018, 00:05
Perhaps next year they'll burn a Pubs Galore effigy on Bonfire Night!:eek:

Way back in the 1980s I actually went to the Lewes bonfire night. It was manic and hopeless, you couldn't get near the Cliffe which is the main event but the processions of flaming torches along with the effigies of Thatcher, Reagan, Kinnock and of course the Pope were fun. I wouldn't go again but the town doesn't deserve to end up with Nil Points (in a European accent).

Cider Drinker
11-11-2018, 10:48
Loving the suggestions, we are only ruling out Lewes, Worthing and London as we have been to Brighton and London recently. We would be up for those in a future PGC. Xx

Aqualung
11-11-2018, 22:52
Loving the suggestions, we are only ruling out Lewes, Worthing and London as we have been to Brighton and London recently. We would be up for those in a future PGC. Xx

You could use a similar argument to rule out Bath which is very close to Bristol. My argument against it would be that it's a horrible expensive tourist trap.
I don't think I need to say anything about London!

Gann
12-11-2018, 11:18
the town doesn't deserve to end up with Nil Points (in a European accent).

Agree... Come on someone who hasn't already voted, please give Lewes a sympathy vote or it will forever become the town that got Nil Points (in a European accent) in a PuG vote..

Wittenden
12-11-2018, 18:35
Agree... Come on someone who hasn't already voted, please give Lewes a sympathy vote or it will forever become the town that got Nil Points (in a European accent) in a PuG vote..

Done the decent by Lewes! I like the town,but don't think I've had a drink there since 1979. Done more in the outlying villages.

sheffield hatter
12-11-2018, 18:41
Loving the suggestions, we are only ruling out Lewes [and] Worthing ... as we have been to Brighton ... recently. We would be up for those in a future PGC. Xx

You could use a similar argument to rule out Bath which is very close to Bristol.

Surely the point was that we did Brighton in Spring 2018, thus potentially ruling out Lewes and Worthing as being too repetitive because too soon, whereas Bristol was in 2014, if memory serves, so that Bath would only be slightly repetitive because not so soon.

Aqualung
12-11-2018, 18:53
Surely the point was that we did Brighton in Spring 2018, thus potentially ruling out Lewes and Worthing as being too repetitive because too soon, whereas Bristol was in 2014, if memory serves, so that Bath would only be slightly repetitive because not so soon.

But there's nothing wrong with Stockport & Manchester less than a year apart?

Tris39
12-11-2018, 19:26

Good point but Portsmouth is coastal and we only did Brighton earlier this year, 40 miles east; Southampton is virtually the same place as Portsmouth though the distance between the two is almost half that between Bristol and Bath.

rpadam
12-11-2018, 20:08
Southampton is virtually the same place as Portsmouth
I don't suggest you try saying that in Pompey or (if you pardon the expression) Scum.

Aqualung
12-11-2018, 20:38
Done the decent by Lewes! I like the town,but don't think I've had a drink there since 1979. Done more in the outlying villages.

Thanks I would have voted for it myself if I knew everyone would ignore it. I prefer it to Brighton by a long way. In 1979 I believe only one of the pubs was owned by Harveys and that was the Swan. All the other pubs selling Harveys beers were Beards pubs (now mostly GK). I presume people didn't vote for it as there may not be enough outlets for a PUG crawl plus the possibility that they've all been there before.

sheffield hatter
12-11-2018, 20:44
But there's nothing wrong with Stockport & Manchester less than a year apart?

Apparently not, since you appear to be the first person to have mentioned it!

sheffield hatter
12-11-2018, 21:08
I presume people didn't vote for it as there may not be enough outlets for a PUG crawl plus the possibility that they've all been there before.

Those, and the train journey, may have influenced people.

I did half a dozen pubs in Lewes four years ago, including the now reportedly closed Crown (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/11020/), though I did not review them as I was drinking with friends and preferred to join in the conversation. I think our favourites were the Black Horse and the Lewes Arms, though there was nothing wrong, as I recall, with the Brewers Arms, the John Harvey and the Gardeners. I wouldn't mind going back some time, as there were others that we didn't have time for that I would have liked to do. Some of the reviews of Lewes pubs on this site are getting a bit long in the tooth, and your review of the Volunteer (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/11021/) is not particularly encouraging!

Aqualung
12-11-2018, 22:11
your review of the Volunteer (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/11021/) is not particularly encouraging!
I would hope so as it was rubbish! I think that the loss of Beards to GK and the demise of K&B (two pubs) have made the place less attractive.
I've never been in the Crown but the What Pub entry is the first I've ever heard about JDW taking it over!

sheffield hatter
12-11-2018, 22:34
I've never been in the Crown but the What Pub entry is the first I've ever heard about JDW taking it over!

My recollection is that the bar is (was) fairly small and to the right of the entrance, a pleasant, well-lit room, with the left hand room being the hotel dining room. A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)

I'm not sure which is worse - the pub being closed or the pub being given the JDW treatment. The latter is probably worse for the other pubs in Lewes (he said provocatively).

Mobyduck
13-11-2018, 08:20
A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)
It was a factor for me, a pints fine, but not all day.

Mobyduck
13-11-2018, 08:25
I'm not sure which is worse - the pub being closed or the pub being given the JDW treatment. The latter is probably worse for the other pubs in Lewes (he said provocatively).
The locals are probably brainwashed into (B)BB, and would only drink Ruddles and that watery IPA if a Spoons were to open anyway. :evilgrin:

Wittenden
13-11-2018, 08:40
My recollection is that the bar is (was) fairly small and to the right of the entrance, a pleasant, well-lit room, with the left hand room being the hotel dining room. A decent Harveys Sussex Best. (Incidentally, the prospect of meeting this beer in almost every pub may also have been a factor in the "nul points" scenario: not me, I hasten to add, I like it!)

Spring visit: Should think Harvey's XXXX Sussex Old Ale would be finished for the season. Haven't seen it yet this year.

rpadam
13-11-2018, 22:10
The locals are probably brainwashed into (B)BB, and would only drink Ruddles and that watery IPA if a Spoons were to open anyway. :evilgrin:
Sorry, but that’s outright offensive - please think before posting.

sheffield hatter
14-11-2018, 00:30

Sorry, but that’s outright offensive - please think before posting.

I think you should have perhaps made allowances for the provocation before having a go. I am as fed up as you with the use of the term "boring brown bitter", but I am sure that Moby only meant this reponse in a light hearted way.

It's all too easy to read online postings and think that they're meant more seriously than they are. A conversation in a pub, where one person prefers New England IPA, one likes a raspberry ripple milk shake IPA, one likes a milk stout and one, heaven help him, is into Black Sheep Bitter, takes on a different tone when it's all written down and can be read and re-read by a large online audience. We can give and take offence too easily.

Personally, I can tolerate almost anything, but the thing I just can't stand is that fruit-salad hop, Citra. :sick:

Mobyduck
14-11-2018, 08:24
Personally, I can tolerate almost anything, but the thing I just can't stand is that fruit-salad hop, Citra. :sick:
Ouch. :D ( note humorous emoji, as in the devil emoji on earlier comment).

Gann
14-11-2018, 11:33
I may have missed it, but have we actually fixed a date for this outing yet ?

Bucking Fastard
14-11-2018, 12:08

That will be stage two of the process,although we could and maybe should start the discussion.Can I suggest sometime between Mid March and Mid April given that folk will need to book advanced train fares /hotel deals and in 2019 Good Friday is April 19th .

The venue choice poll closes on 18th Nov.

Aqualung
14-11-2018, 12:10

I believe not but given that Easter is late it seems to me that there isn't much choice, probably the second weekend in March through to the first weekend in April. I've ruled out the first weekend in March due to not very fond memories of the Beast From The East this year. The second weekend in April would be the one before Easter which might affect rail travel. May would mean contending with Bank Holidays and would be very close to summer.

Edit: I posted this before swing BF's answer, but we seem to more or less agree.

sheffield hatter
14-11-2018, 12:19
Can I suggest sometime between Mid March and Mid April given that folk will need to book advanced train fares /hotel deals and in 2019 Good Friday is April 19th .

There doesn't seem much point in discussing dates until the venue's been sorted.

Brighton was Friday, 23rd March. Train tickets for 22nd March 2019 will go on sale first week of January, by my reckoning.

Aqualung
14-11-2018, 12:35
Train tickets for 22nd March 2019 will go on sale first week of January, by my reckoning.

If you're lucky, these tickets are still in a state of turmoil and I've only just got my first tickets for 2019 which are in the second week of January. The venue will be finalised on Sunday and it looks highly unlikely to me that it won't be Portsmouth. For those who need expensive Southern hotels the rapid finalisation of the date could save them lots of money.

Gann
14-11-2018, 13:14
the rapid finalisation of the date could save them lots of money.

And more importantly actually mean some of us can make it.. My diary for March is already under assault and the first two Fridays are already booked out by my better half who thinks that there is more to life than Ale....

rpadam
14-11-2018, 22:58
I think you should have perhaps made allowances for the provocation before having a go. I am as fed up as you with the use of the term "boring brown bitter", but I am sure that Moby only meant this reponse in a light hearted way.

It's all too easy to read online postings and think that they're meant more seriously than they are. A conversation in a pub, where one person prefers New England IPA, one likes a raspberry ripple milk shake IPA, one likes a milk stout and one, heaven help him, is into Black Sheep Bitter, takes on a different tone when it's all written down and can be read and re-read by a large online audience. We can give and take offence too easily.
I’m sure you’re right, but there comes a time when you’ve had just about enough of listening to a grinding saw... but it was actually the “brainwashed locals” bit (rather than BBB) that I took particular exception to.

Mobyduck
14-11-2018, 23:33
I’m sure you’re right, but there comes a time when you’ve had just about enough of listening to a grinding saw... but it was actually the “brainwashed locals” bit (rather than BBB) that I took particular exception to.

I can assure you no offence was intended, I shall try curb my particular brand of humour in the future.

Bucking Fastard
18-11-2018, 17:25
The poll has closed after a good turnout and the result is that we are off to Portsmouth

We should focus on the date as the next step.Looking at the location of some likely pubs ,it appears the route could drift towards Fratton as the day progresses.Portsmouth FC are at home on Saturday March 2nd,16th,30th and April 13th which might be a factor when thinking about dates.Fridays dont suffer this fate.;)

Aqualung
18-11-2018, 18:19
The poll has closed after a good turnout and the result is that we are off to Portsmouth

We should focus on the date as the next step.Looking at the location of some likely pubs ,it appears the route could drift towards Fratton as the day progresses.Portsmouth FC are at home on Saturday March 2nd,16th,30th and April 13th which might be a factor when thinking about dates.Fridays dont suffer this fate.;)

I would suggest therefore :-

March Fridays 8,15,22,29 Saturdays 9,23
April 5,6,12 where the 6th is a Saturday.

That's a total of 9 leaving 5 more possible dates but do we really want Easter weeks or May?

Gann
19-11-2018, 11:20

March Fridays of the 15,22,29 are best for me..
Could do the April 5/6 at a pinch, then away for the Easter weeks...

Bucking Fastard
19-11-2018, 18:27

All those dates are good for me.

rpadam
19-11-2018, 21:16
22nd or 29th of March best for me - another commitment on the 15th, and Camra AGM starting 5/6 April in Dundee.

ETA
19-11-2018, 22:28

That's a total of 9 leaving 5 more possible dates but do we really want Easter weeks or May?

I could do 15 or 29 March, 5, 6 or 12 April. If I only had 1 vote, it would be for 5 April.

Aqualung
19-11-2018, 23:16
Is it time to start a poll based on my 9 dates? Nobody has come up with any extra dates. My preference is for March but at the moment I could also do April,

Bucking Fastard
20-11-2018, 11:28
Is it time to start a poll based on my 9 dates? Nobody has come up with any extra dates. My preference is for March but at the moment I could also do April,

However if we look at the replies so far the only date that suits everyone is Friday March 29th .If that gathers wider support ,that may obviate the need for a poll.

Aqualung
20-11-2018, 11:41
However if we look at the replies so far the only date that suits everyone is Friday March 29th .If that gathers wider support ,that may obviate the need for a poll.

OK, that date suits me.

Dave M
20-11-2018, 11:41

Have to admit I quite like the idea of a Brexit day pub crawl as suggested in the other thread so that would be my preference.

sheffield hatter
20-11-2018, 11:44
Have to admit I quite like the idea of a Brexit day pub crawl as suggested in the other thread so that would be my preference.

Like this idea!

rpadam
20-11-2018, 13:07
Like this idea!
Me too!

Gann
20-11-2018, 13:35
Like this idea!

And me !

ETA
20-11-2018, 20:25

Yup!

Aqualung
20-11-2018, 20:36
It sounds like somebody is going to have to bring along a brexit swear box.

Quinno
20-11-2018, 20:55
Yeah there's a definite amusement value to that date.

Pangolin
21-11-2018, 01:54
I wouldn't mind betting that Tim has a half price offer or similar going in Spoons that day!

AlanH
21-11-2018, 09:36

I might do a Welsh version of a Brexit crawl in Cardiff on that day! :cheers:

Bucking Fastard
21-11-2018, 11:41
There does seem to be a lot of support for Friday March 29th 2019 in Portsmouth so lets go for it. :cheers:

No doubt there will be a lot of Brexit brews available on the day,assuming it actually happens :rolleyes:

oldboots
21-11-2018, 20:58
There does seem to be a lot of support for Friday March 29th 2019 in Portsmouth so lets go for it. :cheers:

No doubt there will be a lot of Brexit brews available on the day,assuming it actually happens :rolleyes:

Fine by me.

Aqualung
25-11-2018, 00:52

I'm OK with it as long as someone brings the swear box. They have one on the morning Channel 5 Jeremy Vine show (formerly the Wright Stuff) and the word is that Alistair Campbell had to declare himself bankrupt after his appearance on it.

Aqualung
28-11-2018, 19:54
It's looking like the 29th March is favourite. I believe that SW trains only do advance tickets from their own web site. I don't think any will be available for that date until the new year. I've had a look at what's going for the random date of the 14th December and railcard advance tickets are £6.00 each way from Waterloo or £10.00 for an earlier faster train in the morning. That looks promising as the random date is only a couple of weeks away. From what I recall from the JDW tour morning trains from Waterloo are not very busy. An off peak day return with railcard is a silly £25.30. I can get to Glasgow for that sort of money!

sheffield hatter
28-11-2018, 20:41
I believe that SW trains only do advance tickets from their own web site.

I've just found the same £6 fares on the TPE website! (Shame they're only from Waterloo - I get the feeling it'll be a bit dearer from Sheffield.)

Aqualung
28-11-2018, 23:06
I've just found the same £6 fares on the TPE website! (Shame they're only from Waterloo - I get the feeling it'll be a bit dearer from Sheffield.)

I'm currently using TFW Rail for tickets as they have free postage and yes I'm a Luddite that prefers card tickets! I'll have to check to see if TFW Rail do them.

trainman
29-11-2018, 13:15
Portsmouth and Southampton used to be good targets for cheap fares (even £1ew) on Megatrain, but they don't do those routes any more.
You could look out for options with them for the Sheff-London leg, Will, but not sure how far in advance they go on sale these days, used to be 6 weeks. You need an EMT deal to kick in...

sheffield hatter
29-11-2018, 15:22
Portsmouth and Southampton used to be good targets for cheap fares (even £1ew) on Megatrain, but they don't do those routes any more.
You could look out for options with them for the Sheff-London leg, Will, but not sure how far in advance they go on sale these days, used to be 6 weeks.

Only bus fares available so far for 29 March - and they involve getting to Meadowhall at 5:30am, so not really an option! I'll look again nearer the time.

You need an EMT deal to kick in...

I'm not holding my breath!

Bucking Fastard
30-11-2018, 08:51
Is it possible for some kind person with forum editing skills to change the title of this thread to something along the lines of Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019 ?

There is already useful information about the crawl on this thread and we haven't even begun discussing which pubs are worth visiting.

oldboots
30-11-2018, 09:22
There is already useful information about the crawl on this thread and we haven't even begun discussing which pubs are worth visiting.

IIRC Portsea Island is fairly long and thin, with the main shops and city centre in Landport, nothing much to the north or around Fratton and Milton.

A quick look at the GBG2019 suggests we might be best concentrating on Southsea, but certainly south of the railway line. I don't know the "don't miss" pubs.....anyone?

aleandhearty
30-11-2018, 11:39
Is it possible for some kind person with forum editing skills to change the title of this thread to something along the lines of Portsmouth PuG Crawl March 29th 2019 ?

Done. Unfortunately, that's probably it as far as my contribution to the day goes.

Gann
30-11-2018, 12:18
A quick look at the GBG2019 suggests we might be best concentrating on Southsea, but certainly south of the railway line. I don't know the "don't miss" pubs.....anyone?

I haven't done Portsmouth for at least 20 years so looking forward to this one..

From a bit of research to see what might be in store the following popped up but I am sure those with more recent experience of the town can agree or deny..
The Leopold (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14000/)
Hole in the Wall (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54396/)
The Barley Mow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13961/)
The Phoenix (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14018/)
The Lawrence Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/)

With these of interest also:
The Wave Maiden (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82866/)
Belle Isle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70888/)
Porters (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65744/)
The Northcote (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81118/)

sheffield hatter
30-11-2018, 14:11
From a bit of research to see what might be in store the following popped up but I am sure those with more recent experience of the town can agree or deny..

My only time in Portsmouth/Southsea was when the Hatters played there in early January 2017. I visited these four (plus The Florence Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14037/) and the Duke Of Devonshire (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13976/)) but didn't write any reviews as I was with my football mates, but I can remember finding them very much as described in the (at that time, recent) reviews by Leigh and others. However, the Leopold changed hands soon after - the long-standing tenants were incensed by the massive rent rise imposed on them by Enterprise - and it is no longer the temple to cask ale that it was two years ago.

Gann
30-11-2018, 15:54
Strangely for a town the size of Portsmouth, it doesn't seem to have caught up with the micro pub explosion yet and is virginal in that respect..

However the Southsea Brewing Co is planning to open the first one in January
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/meet-the-team-planning-to-build-one-of-portsmouth-s-first-micropubs-1-8617840

This may be a bit too far east in Eastney and there doesn't seem a lot else worthwhile going out in this direction with the possible exception of Sir Loin of Beef (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14029/)

Aqualung
30-11-2018, 17:38
My reason for nominating Portsmouth was to visit the Hole In The Wall which I think I visited in the 1970s.
I've only been to the JDWs in recent years and would have thought that just the IKB near the station and the Lord Palmerston in Southsea would be the only viable ones. The IKB is a madhouse if busy. The Palmerston is a Lloyds but one of the better ones and probably my favourite in the area.
I think I've been to all the old Gales outlets but don't even remember where they are now apart from the one near the ferry.

I got a bus from the station to Southsea as it looked a long walk to me but the Palmerston is on the Southern side of Southsea.

PaulOfHorsham
30-11-2018, 19:12
Cross-Country go to Southampton (but not sure if from Sheffield), so you may be able to get to the South Coast on a cheap-ish ticket, although it's likely to take many hours. Southampton - Portsmouth is, hopefully, not too expensive.

Mobyduck
30-11-2018, 19:23
I haven't done Portsmouth for at least 20 years so looking forward to this one..

The Lawrence Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/)

With these of interest also:
The Wave Maiden (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82866/)
Belle Isle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70888/)
Porters (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65744/)
The Northcote (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81118/)

Not sure about The Leopold , for reasons Will mentions. The following four were excellent on my visits over the last couple of years. Of the remaining four I've not been to The Wave Maiden or Belle Isle, I wasn't convinced with Porters but The Northcote Was Ok.

Aqualung
30-11-2018, 20:21
Cross-Country go to Southampton (but not sure if from Sheffield), so you may be able to get to the South Coast on a cheap-ish ticket, although it's likely to take many hours. Southampton - Portsmouth is, hopefully, not too expensive.

I think you would have to change at Brum but may be wrong. I can't imagine it's all that feasible as a day trip from Sheffield.

sheffield hatter
30-11-2018, 23:08

I think you would have to change at Brum but may be wrong.

Thanks for your concern, guys! Yes, there is a direct service from Sheffield to Southampton, and sometimes it makes sense to split the journey - or at least the ticket - at Birmingham, but I think that going via London may be both cheaper and (slightly) quicker. I'll wait and see when tickets become available in the new year.

I can't imagine it's all that feasible as a day trip from Sheffield.

That's why I didn't vote for Portsmouth (or all the other crazy southern destinations you lunatics put forward)! But if you think that's going to stop me, you've got another think coming. (BTW I'm thinking of starting a new thread, about Sheffield really being in the midlands rather than the north. #geographygalore.)

And I definitely won't be doing a pre-crawl reconnaissance (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?27429-Summer-2018-crawl/page7) this time...

Aqualung
30-11-2018, 23:27
BTW I'm thinking of starting a new thread, about Sheffield really being in the midlands rather than the north.

It can't possibly be in the Midlands as it's North of Chesterfield which is in the North!

sheffield hatter
30-11-2018, 23:37
Strangely for a town the size of Portsmouth, it doesn't seem to have caught up with the micro pub explosion yet and is virginal in that respect..

However the Southsea Brewing Co is planning to open the first one in January
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/meet-the-team-planning-to-build-one-of-portsmouth-s-first-micropubs-1-8617840

This may be a bit too far east in Eastney and there doesn't seem a lot else worthwhile going out in this direction with the possible exception of Sir Loin of Beef (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14029/)

There's a bus service (https://www.firstgroup.com/portsmouth-fareham-gosport/plan-journey/timetables/?day=1&source_id=2&service=2&routeid=21792781&operator=13&print=pdf) that runs every 10 minutes in both directions and with stops along Albert Road (near Porters, Phoenix, Leopold) and in Eastney (Sir Loin of Beef), with a northern swing towards Milton, passing the proposed site of the new micro (https://www.google.com/maps/place/177+Eastney+Rd,+Portsmouth,+Southsea+PO4+8EA/@50.7911329,-1.0575788,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48745c51af4ce901:0x31edc b564fa358a2!8m2!3d50.7911329!4d-1.0553901) on Eastney Road.

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for those who want to expand their horizons a little, I think a Plus Bus ticket may have to be a consideration, when buying train tickets.

ETA
01-12-2018, 08:55
I keep trying to get to Staggeringly Good Brewery Company (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84403/) but it's never been open when I've been in the area. Sadly it doesn't fit neatly into a really good crawl.

Quinno
01-12-2018, 10:30
From my couple of visits to Pompey, there's a lot of legwork unless you plan well as it is a surprisingly large area (I suppose because Portsmouth / Southsea / Gosport etc have all merged together over the years and now basically trade as 'Portsmouth'!

The Leopold is no longer top dog as mentioned!

Aqualung
01-12-2018, 23:01
From my couple of visits to Pompey, there's a lot of legwork unless you plan well as it is a surprisingly large area (I suppose because Portsmouth / Southsea / Gosport etc have all merged together over the years and now basically trade as 'Portsmouth'!

The Leopold is no longer top dog as mentioned!

You're absolutely right there although I know nothing about the Leopold! I wouldn't want to walk from the rail station to Southsea and won't as I've got a coffin-dodgers pass. I did find it odd that Southsea is a separate place on the site rather than part of Portsmouth but I'm not John Barrowman so don't want to make a song and dance about it.

sheffield hatter
02-12-2018, 00:23
I did find it odd that Southsea is a separate place on the site rather than part of Portsmouth

It's because the site is based on postal towns. I assumed though that pubs in Southsea would also be fair game for this crawl?

Aqualung
02-12-2018, 11:05
It's because the site is based on postal towns. I assumed though that pubs in Southsea would also be fair game for this crawl?
I see what you're saying, postal towns rather than postcodes but surely the concept of a postal town has been lost in time or is there a list of them somewhere? I've always thought of Southsea as being part of Portsmouth.

Pangolin
02-12-2018, 11:39
Whatever the post office says, on the ground there is no distinction between Portsmouth and Southsea postal areas, the various areas of Southsea, Fratton, Landport, Old Portsmouth etc being localities in what is generally considered Portsmouth as a whole. Southsea tends to have the best concentration of better pubs, not least as the touristy parts of Portsmouth tend to be, ermm, touristy!

Aqualung
02-12-2018, 12:06
Whatever the post office says, on the ground there is no distinction between Portsmouth and Southsea postal areas, the various areas of Southsea, Fratton, Landport, Old Portsmouth etc being localities in what is generally considered Portsmouth as a whole. Southsea tends to have the best concentration of better pubs, not least as the touristy parts of Portsmouth tend to be, ermm, touristy!
I should add that I'm not suggesting moving Southsea into Portsmouth on the site! It's not worth the effort.
I agree with the above and the GBG lists more for Southsea than any other area.

Pangolin
02-12-2018, 12:07
OK, here is a putative crawl of some of the better pubs/beer selections in the area, based on recent experience and knowledge. Starting from Portsmouth & Southsea station and finishing up a walk from Fratton, or on good bus routes back to Southsea/Harbour.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (JDW early start for those who do)
Brewhouse & Kitchen
Duke of Buckingham
Dolphin
(Pembroke optional)
Hole in the Wall
Barley Mow
White Horse (Brewhouse)
Wave Maiden
Marmion
(Lord Palmerston JDW optional)
Phoenix
(5th Hants Volunteers optional)
Northcote
Golden Eagle
Rutland Arms
Staggeringly Good Brewery tap
(Optional continue to Rose in June)

rpadam
02-12-2018, 13:03
I should add that I'm not suggesting moving Southsea into Portsmouth on the site! It's not worth the effort.
I agree with the above and the GBG lists more for Southsea than any other area.
Good - Southsea started out as a seaside resort on the south coast of Portsea Island, filling the gap between (Old) Portsmouth and Eastney, and south of Somers Town (near the where the main Portsmouth & Southsea station now is - the name of which is itself enough to tell one that it is a separate place).

However, while its distinct character is obvious along the shore between Clarence Pier and Lumps Fort - by way of Southsea Common, Southsea Castle and the South Parade Pier - I certainly agree that it is now very difficult to draw definitive lines between Portsmouth city centre, Southsea, Fratton, etc. but they are still different places.

Bucking Fastard
02-12-2018, 17:15
Done. :notworthy:

Bucking Fastard
02-12-2018, 17:56
OK, here is a putative crawl of some of the better pubs/beer selections in the area, based on recent experience and knowledge. Starting from Portsmouth & Southsea station and finishing up a walk from Fratton, or on good bus routes back to Southsea/Harbour.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (JDW early start for those who do)
Brewhouse & Kitchen
Duke of Buckingham
Dolphin
(Pembroke optional)
Hole in the Wall
Barley Mow
White Horse (Brewhouse)
Wave Maiden
Marmion
(Lord Palmerston JDW optional)
Phoenix
(5th Hants Volunteers optional)
Northcote
Golden Eagle
Rutland Arms
Staggeringly Good Brewery tap
(Optional continue to Rose in June)

This looks like a good list and I like the idea of starting the crawl close to Portsmouth & Southsea station and then winding through Southsea ,finishing in the Fratton area ,where another train station is close by.

I've not been drinking in Portsmouth in living memory ,and glancing through the 2019 GBG just wondering what your thoughts were on these entries to the guide ?

King Street Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13974/) Near the Hole in the Wall,but does the Wadworth tie count against it ?
Apsley House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13956/) Near the Wave Maiden.
Porters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65744/) Near Phoenix and mentioned by Gann.
Lawrence (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/) Near Northcote and mentioned by Gann.

sheffield hatter
02-12-2018, 17:57

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13638/) (JDW early start for those who do)
Brewhouse & Kitchen (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13604/)
Duke of Buckingham (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13555/)
Dolphin (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13552/)
(Pembroke (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13602/) optional)
Barley Mow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13961/)
White Horse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59788/) (Brewhouse)
Wave Maiden (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82866/)
Marmion (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14002/)
(Lord Palmerston (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69788/) JDW optional)
Phoenix (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14018/)
(5th Hants Volunteers (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13985/) optional)
Northcote (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81118/)
Golden Eagle (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13989/)
Rutland Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66301/)
Staggeringly Good Brewery (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84403/) tap
(Optional continue to Rose in June (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13610/))

Thanks

I've added links to each pub's page on the site for ease of reference.

sheffield hatter
02-12-2018, 17:59
King Street Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13974/) Near the Hole in the Wall,but does the Wadworth tie count against it ?

Does not the pub's appearance in the Good Beer Gide suggest that it serves good beer? :)

Aqualung
02-12-2018, 18:35

It does for me however well kept the beer is, I don't like their beers at all. They've also committed the cardinal sin of watering down 6X. Their Bishop's Tipple is nothing like the original 6.5% Gibbs Mew beer and just has that horrible Wadworth taste..

ETA
02-12-2018, 19:44
Is Farway joining us? His local knowledge might be useful.

Michael?

Pangolin
02-12-2018, 21:46
Porters (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65744/) Near Phoenix and mentioned by Gann.
Lawrence (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/) Near Northcote and mentioned by Gann.[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't think the King St Tavern is worth the detour. The Apsley House has a bit of a pedestrian beer range. Porters is on the hipster side but could be a try also. The Lawrence is fine and I shouldn't have missed it out.

oops deleted the quote header! Sorry BF!

Aqualung
02-12-2018, 22:18
I'll almost certainly be doing a "lite" version of this so don't want to comment too much on the route but the King Street Tavern appears to shut for 2 hours between 15:00 & 17:00 even on a Friday. I haven't spotted any other opening problems but did have to make a double check for the Hole In The Wall.

EDIT: I've just noticed the Apsley House opens at 15:00 on a Friday and I agree about the beer choice.

Quinno
03-12-2018, 22:46
Lawrence (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/) Near Northcote and mentioned by Gann.

Personally I don't think the King St Tavern is worth the detour. The Apsley House has a bit of a pedestrian beer range. Porters is on the hipster side but could be a try also. The Lawrence is fine and I shouldn't have missed it out.

oops deleted the quote header! Sorry BF![/QUOTE]

I second the Lawrence - it's a really nice little boozer with good ales. Used to be slightly overshadowed by its near-neighbour the Leopold, but not any longer...

Tris39
03-12-2018, 23:01

oops deleted the quote header! Sorry BF!

I second the Lawrence - it's a really nice little boozer with good ales. Used to be slightly overshadowed by its near-neighbour the Leopold, but not any longer...[/QUOTE]

From their website: "... winner of CAMRA’s PSEH Pub Of the year 2018 and CAMRA's current cider pub of the year."

sheffield hatter
03-12-2018, 23:48
There seems to be something going wrong with the "reply with quote" facility on this forum. (I tried untangling the quotes, but exactly the same fault kept on happening when I quoted them.)

Mobyduck
04-12-2018, 06:37

oops deleted the quote header! Sorry BF![/QUOTE]

Lawrence is good, Porters seemed a little plastic to me(I know what I mean:confused:), don't know the other two.

Aqualung
04-12-2018, 23:15
Quite honestly I'm happy with the original list and I will have my "lite" version of it anyway. Some of the pubs raised would make good optional ones for those who want to bag a trolley load of pubs, I'm surprised no "outliers" have cropped up yet.

london calling
01-01-2019, 22:16
I don't really like travelling so a three hour trip from home to Portsmouth is probably going to rule me out.But lets see the ticket prices first.When will the cheap tickets go on sale and whats the best site to find them.
My daughter went to uni in Portsmouth circa 2002 and I visited some pretty basic pubs.Seem to remember a lot of Courage beer .Were they still brewing in 2002.
cheers john

Pangolin
01-01-2019, 22:46
But lets see the ticket prices first. When will the cheap tickets go on sale and whats the best site to find them.

Advance specified train tickets are £8 each way (from Waterloo) and go on sale 12 weeks before. Book direct through any train operators' site to avoid paying commission - SWR (https://www.southwesternrailway.com/) being the local one. From Brentford it is £10 each way with a journey time just over 2 hrs.

london calling
02-01-2019, 22:00
Advance specified train tickets are £8 each way (from Waterloo) and go on sale 12 weeks before. Book direct through any train operators' site to avoid paying commission - SWR (https://www.southwesternrailway.com/) being the local one. From Brentford it is £10 each way with a journey time just over 2 hrs.
That's not a bad price . Thought it would be double that.If I can get them at that price its a possible for me. thanks john

Aqualung
02-01-2019, 23:32
That's not a bad price . Thought it would be double that.If I can get them at that price its a possible for me. thanks john

I've just had a look at the South Western web site and tickets are now available for Friday 22nd March so the 29th should be available next week. The 09:00 train has advance tickets for £5.95 with a railcard. You can get a senile railcard if you are over 60 and it's £30.00 for a year or £70.00 (I think) for three years. You can only order the 3 year one online and need a passport or driving licence.

Gann
03-01-2019, 11:20
As we haven't been to Portsmouth for a very long time and more importantly for the good lady, something called the Gunwharf Quays outlet center was still under development when we were last there, we have decided to make a weekend of it and have the Holiday Inn in Southsea booked for a couple of nights.

Strongers
03-01-2019, 15:37
Be rude not to join you all for a southern crawl so just booked the day off work.

oldboots
12-01-2019, 09:41
Just a reminder that the Advance fares Waterloo - Portsmouth are now available £9 (or £5.95 with a railcard) each way.

Bucking Fastard
12-01-2019, 11:02
Just a reminder that the Advance fares Waterloo - Portsmouth are now available £9 (or £5.95 with a railcard) each way.

Thanks ob ,just booked an old bastard cheap return.:cool:

Aqualung
16-01-2019, 21:30
I've got my £5.95 Waterloo tickets, I don't know how much of the route I will manage but I am determined to spend some time at the Hole In The Wall. I went to Ludlow last week and didn't get any further than the Ludlow Brewery Tap!

Mobyduck
16-01-2019, 21:37
I've got my £5.95 Waterloo tickets, I don't know how much of the route I will manage but I am determined to spend some time at the Hole In The Wall. I went to Ludlow last week and didn't get any further than the Ludlow Brewery Tap!

Hole In The Wall is good but there is more.

Tris39
17-01-2019, 20:43

I know Ludlow well but have never been to any of the pubs as I'm always driving; I suggested the place as a crawl venue a couple of years ago. I wonder if it's a viable future option?

sheffield hatter
17-01-2019, 20:54
I suggested Ludlow as a crawl venue a couple of years ago. I wonder if it's a viable future option?

I've done a few of the pubs on occasions over the years. I would say it's a bit limited as a crawl venue. (There are a few pubs that don't open until about 5pm, which if they were open earlier might tip the balance.)

trainman
18-01-2019, 18:08
I know Ludlow well but have never been to any of the pubs as I'm always driving; I suggested the place as a crawl venue a couple of years ago. I wonder if it's a viable future option?
You've never been to a pub there, but suggested it as a PG crawl? Errmm..?

Aqualung
18-01-2019, 18:55
I've done a few of the pubs on occasions over the years. I would say it's a bit limited as a crawl venue. (There are a few pubs that don't open until about 5pm, which if they were open earlier might tip the balance.)

I'd go along with that, there aren't actually all that many pubs. I stayed there once nearly 40 years ago and my recollection was that it was all Grenall pubs. I was so impressed with the Ludlow tap this time that there seemed little point in moving! Another thing against it is that it's not the easiest place to get to apart from S Wales or the Chester / Manchester sort of area. There are also lots of better places in the bit in between the North and the South.

Aqualung
18-01-2019, 21:43
Hole In The Wall is good but there is more.

I'm sure you're right, I'm not averse to including a few more outlets but my knees have been playing up lately. I'll be taking a look at likely beers available (my number one priority) before the date.

sheffield hatter
18-01-2019, 22:31
... but my knees have been playing up lately. I'll be taking a look at likely beers available (my number one priority) before the date.

Have you checked the buses? Seems like they'd be a priority if your knees are bothering you.

There's a bus service (https://www.firstgroup.com/portsmouth-fareham-gosport/plan-journey/timetables/?day=1&source_id=2&service=2&routeid=21792781&operator=13&print=pdf) that runs every 10 minutes in both directions and with stops along Albert Road (near Porters, Phoenix, Leopold) and in Eastney (Sir Loin of Beef), with a northern swing towards Milton, passing the proposed site of the new micro (https://www.google.com/maps/place/177+Eastney+Rd,+Portsmouth,+Southsea+PO4+8EA/@50.7911329,-1.0575788,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48745c51af4ce901:0x31edc b564fa358a2!8m2!3d50.7911329!4d-1.0553901) on Eastney Road.

Aqualung
20-01-2019, 00:07
Have you checked the buses? Seems like they'd be a priority if your knees are bothering you.

I know there's a few buses from the main station down to Southsea. I just need to check out what is and isn't viable on the route.

Tris39
24-02-2019, 19:11
You've never been to a pub there, but suggested it as a PG crawl? Errmm..?

We could choose to go on a crawl in this place and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.

Pangolin
24-02-2019, 23:10
Having just met with my local expert, here are a few changes to my original list:

The White Horse is now renamed the Brewhouse & Kitchen Southsea
The Golden Eagle has changed hands and is not as good as it was, so leave off
The 5th Hants Volunteers is also going through a bad patch and may not even be open
Conversely, the Southsea Village is now part of the Urban Village group and might be worth including, and I have just submitted a new listing he recommended also on the Palmerston Road strip, Croxtons, although that might need a little more research first, alternatively the 3 on Palmerston Rd could be left out without too much hardship. So the suggested revised list is:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13638/) (JDW early start for those who do)
Brewhouse & Kitchen Portsmouth (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13604/)
Duke of Buckingham (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13555/)
Dolphin (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13552/)
(Pembroke (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13602/) optional)
Barley Mow (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13961/)
Brewhouse & Kitchen Southsea (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59788/)
Wave Maiden (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/82866/)
(Lord Palmerston (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/69788/) JDW optional)
(Croxtons optional)
(Southsea Village (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14014/) optional)
Marmion (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14002/)
Porters (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65744/) (optional)
Phoenix (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/14018/)
Lawrence Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13999/)
Northcote (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/81118/)
Rutland Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66301/)
Staggeringly Good Brewery tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84403/)
(Optional continue to Rose in June (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13610/) and/or new micro in Eastney if open).

As before, it starts near Portsmouth & Southsea station and finishes in the environs of Fratton.
There are probably too many here so I will leave it to experienced PuG crawl planners to take forward!

trainman
25-02-2019, 12:56
£5.60 e/w available from thetrainline, I usually then go to the service provider site to avoid booking fee, but best price from southwestern trains shows as £9 e/w, most unusual.
I do have to get to Waterloo though - it doesn't seem scheduled to stop at Clapham, which I also find odd.

Pangolin
25-02-2019, 18:19
£5.60 e/w available from thetrainline, I usually then go to the service provider site to avoid booking fee, but best price from southwestern trains shows as £9 e/w, most unusual.
I do have to get to Waterloo though - it doesn't seem scheduled to stop at Clapham, which I also find odd.

Seems to be the last few of the cheapest advance single available on the stopping trains which get overtaken by the fast trains, which might be the confusion. Also available from Clapham Junction on Trainline if you select the later arrival time.

trainman
26-02-2019, 12:11
Seems to be the last few of the cheapest advance single available on the stopping trains which get overtaken by the fast trains, which might be the confusion. Also available from Clapham Junction on Trainline if you select the later arrival time.

Yes, I was looking at the fast(-er) trains (£5.60), I'd be surprised if they don't stop at Clapham, even if not showing as a station stop, but I won't risk it on the outward journey!

Tris39
26-02-2019, 17:49
So-called Brexit Day Pub Crawl, Friday 29th March.

Is this the official date or are we delaying too?

oldboots
26-02-2019, 17:55

It's this crawl or no crawl.

Aqualung
26-02-2019, 18:40

I'll be avoiding the backstop plan of crossing the border into Fratton.

Pangolin
27-02-2019, 11:17

Just so long as we don't have to run the poll again!

I trust that there is no risk of a splinter group trying to set up a different crawl somewhere else?

Aqualung
06-03-2019, 20:16
It transpires that this day is also day 3 of the JDW Spring festival so I may well extend my stay in the IKB and Southsea one depending on what is available.
The ciders for this have declined again with only 3 available, two of which are kiddies strength fruit ones and the Banana one is right at the top of my AVOID list!

ETA
07-03-2019, 18:36
the Banana one is right at the top of my AVOID list!

I made banana wine once. It tasted like vomit.

Aqualung
10-03-2019, 11:08
I made banana wine once. It tasted like vomit.

I bet it did, bananas generally don't work in drinks. I used to make a Parsnip & Banana wine which was acceptable.
I will be asking for a taster of this one. I used to do this with the Brodie's sours in Leyton until it got to the point where I would just ask if it was worth having a taste and the answer was always !No".

bcfczuluarmy
10-03-2019, 22:49
Oh I've just remembered what I may spend the last 1 1/2 days of annual leave on. Jist of plan? Stay/meet etc. I've done a fair bit of Pompey near the port but suspect this is more central.

oldboots
11-03-2019, 08:13
Oh I've just remembered what I may spend the last 1 1/2 days of annual leave on. Jist of plan? Stay/meet etc. I've done a fair bit of Pompey near the port but suspect this is more central.

Post #122 looks like the running order, the usual meet up is the 'Spoons about 12-1pm. Traditionally we post our ETAs and leaving times as it depends on trains, I will be in Pompey from Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday morning so I'm flexible.

Bucking Fastard
11-03-2019, 09:10
I will be arriving at Portsmouth & Southsea station at 11.57,so will see you all in the IKB (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13638/) a few minutes later.

Just coming to the crawl for the day,so I will be aiming to get a return train from Fratton station around 8pm.

Looks to be a very extensive crawl,can't wait.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Aqualung
11-03-2019, 10:16
I'm on the 09:30 from Waterloo which gets to P & S station just after 11:00. I'm returning on the 19:20. I've got to work out what I can fit in with the IKB, Hole In The Wall and the Lord Palmerston.

I would suggest that the Summer crawl process needs to begin which as far as I know has been earmarked for the North wherever that is.

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 11:09
I'm on a flexible ticket but probably in around 11ish, Big Steve will be with me and possibly another mate Little Tony. Might swerve the Spoons, was in The Walnut Tree ,Leytonstone Saturday, two in a month would be quite ridiculous.

Aqualung
11-03-2019, 11:41
was in The Walnut Tree ,Leytonstone Saturday, two in a month would be quite ridiculous.

I've been to the Walnut Tree a few times lately and the beer choice has often been better than the Wanstead George. That's apart from the time when nearly everything went off and there was nobody around who could sort it out. They've applied to convert the unused upper storeys into a hotel. Prior to this new dawn it spent several years selling a poor choice of ales in poor condition.

Gann
11-03-2019, 11:46
Driving down in the morning and our hotel is a 15 minute walk to the IKB...

So traffic willing, hoping to see you in there by 12..

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 11:53
I've been to the Walnut Tree a few times lately and the beer choice has often been better than the Wanstead George. That's apart from the time when nearly everything went off and there was nobody around who could sort it out. They've applied to convert the unused upper storeys into a hotel. Prior to this new dawn it spent several years selling a poor choice of ales in poor condition.

There was nothing wrong with the beer, Its just the places, North Star all day long for me, after 12.00 of course.

trainman
11-03-2019, 12:41
I need to find some time to look at the long list, I think there'll be a few that I would swerve, incl anything in 'Old' Portsmouth.
I was surprised to see such as the Sir Loin not listed and then not appearing in a Portsmouth search, later realising it's under Southsea.
Due in noon, Jonesey tagging along, I think I have a couple of numbers of members who may enable us to catch up the peloton at some point...

Dave M
11-03-2019, 13:17
I have been working on a pub crawl tool, but it is still a long way from being really useful but if you want to take a look at how this crawl is shaping up on a map and what sort of timings we might be looking at if we assume 25 minutes per pub then check this out.

https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcrawl/portsmouth-dev.php

Gann
11-03-2019, 14:32
I have been working on a pub crawl tool, but it is still a long way from being really useful but if you want to take a look at how this crawl is shaping up on a map and what sort of timings we might be looking at if we assume 25 minutes per pub then check this out.

Looks very good Dave, with the possible exception that the Cellar Head Tap room in Sussex seems to have snuck onto the wild card list somehow...
I think the walk between these may prove challenging... :D

oldboots
11-03-2019, 14:39
I would suggest that the Summer crawl process needs to begin which as far as I know has been earmarked for the North wherever that is.

Wick?

Bucking Fastard
11-03-2019, 14:45

That's very good Dave,useful guide to timings as my friend Nige maybe joining us around 3pm.

Dave M
11-03-2019, 14:45
Looks very good Dave, with the possible exception that the Cellar Head Tap room in Sussex seems to have snuck onto the wild card list somehow...
I think the walk between these may prove challenging... :D

It is only a 26 hour walk, that seems acceptable for a wildcard! I've now switched Croxtons into the list.

aleandhearty
11-03-2019, 16:06
...Big Steve will be with me and possibly another mate Little Tony.

Bloody hell! It's Hampshire's answer to The Sopranos. Ain't dat right, Mickey The Hop.

Gann
11-03-2019, 16:30
Bloody hell! It's Hampshire's answer to The Sopranos. Ain't dat right, Mickey The Hop.

Ha ha.... But having met both gentlemen together in the Southampton Arms one time, I believe it would be even more amusing if they were called Little Steve and Big Tony !!!

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 18:37

Hey, you talkin to me? :)

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 18:39
Ha ha.... But having met both gentlemen together in the Southampton Arms one time, I believe it would be even more amusing if they were called Little Steve and Big Tony !!!

:D

Pangolin
11-03-2019, 18:46

Excellent mapping tool! I look forward to that being generally available...

trainman
11-03-2019, 18:55

What's the source of the map default here Dave? I like the printability of relatively small scale but still with plenty of road names showing, and no google icons everywhere...

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 20:41

Big Steve was there that day but not little Tony, the other fella was Graham the Nose, but that's another story.

Mobyduck
11-03-2019, 20:44

Nice one Dave.

Bucking Fastard
22-03-2019, 15:57
With just a week to go,who is turning up ?

Looking back at this thread ,the following have expressed an interest.Apologies if I have missed anyone out ,I will edit this post to get an accurate picture.

Aqualung
Gann
rpadam
Bucking Fastard (plus Colin,Corby and Clive at noon,Nige and Steve at 3pm)
ETA
london calling
Dave M
Cider Drinker
Pubsignman
Pangolin
old boots
trainman (plus Jonesey)
Quinno
Mobyduck (plus Big Steve and Little Tony)
Strongers
bcfczuluarmy.
Real Ale Ray
Mrs Ale
Tris39

See you all in the Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

ETA
22-03-2019, 16:03

Looking back at this thread ,the following have expressed an interest.Apologies if I have missed anyone out ,I will edit this post to get an accurate picture.

Aqualung
Gann
rpadam
Bucking Fastard (plus Colin and Clive at noon,Nige and Steve at 3pm)
ETA
london calling
Dave M
Cider Drinker
sheffield hatter
Pangolin
old boots
trainman (plus Jonesey)
Quinno
Strongers
bcfczuluarmy.

I shall be there. Time of arrival will depend on the traffic as I'm driving down and staying in Gosport that night.

Real Ale Ray
22-03-2019, 18:51
Myself and Mrs A will be there

Tris39
22-03-2019, 19:24

Aqualung
Gann
rpadam
ETA
london calling
Dave M
Cider Drinker
sheffield hatter
Pangolin
old boots
trainman (plus Jonesey)
Quinno
Strongers
bcfczuluarmy.

Hoping to make it.

sheffield hatter
22-03-2019, 19:24

Looking back at this thread ,the following have expressed an interest.

sheffield hatter

Sorry, I may have expressed an interest at one time, but the close proximity of a Leeds Rhinos game (at Headingley) on the 28th and a Hatters game in Bristol on the 30th made this one a logistical nightmare (and believe me, I did look in some detail at the feasibility of it!).

See you all in the summer, wherever that may be.

Mobyduck
22-03-2019, 19:51
Myself and Mrs A will be there

It would be unusual if you weren't. :D

Mobyduck
22-03-2019, 20:07
Sorry, I may have expressed an interest at one time, but the close proximity of a Leeds Rhinos game (at Headingley) on the 28th and a Hatters game in Bristol on the 30th made this one a logistical nightmare (and believe me, I did look in some detail at the feasibility of it!).

See you all in the summer, wherever that may be.

:(

Pubsignman
22-03-2019, 23:46

Aqualung
Gann
rpadam
ETA
london calling
Dave M
Cider Drinker
sheffield hatter
Pangolin
old boots
trainman (plus Jonesey)
Quinno
Strongers
bcfczuluarmy.

I'll be there - think my train gets in at around midday. Always enjoyed Portsmouth when I've been out drinking there, so looking forward to a good day out.

Pangolin
24-03-2019, 00:54
I shall be there, barring calamities.

Strongers
24-03-2019, 11:37
Blimey, almost a full house... we'll have to be careful not to be mistaken for a demonstration march!

Tris39
24-03-2019, 19:07
Blimey, almost a full house... we'll have to be careful not to be mistaken for a demonstration march!

Excellent weather predicted too.:cool:

Aqualung
24-03-2019, 22:04
As I mentioned earlier I'll be there after 11:00 but will go from the IKB to the Hole in the Wall then the Lord Palmerston as my knees are still causing me grief. The JDW Spring fest looks more interesting than it has for some years despite there only being 30 beers.
If anyone's planning to visit the IKB on the way back to the Station it'll probably be rammed.

Mobyduck
25-03-2019, 18:18
I'm on a flexible ticket but probably in around 11ish,

Will now be arriving just before 12.00, an hour earlier costs me an extra 8 quid, currently looking at leaving 8pm ish but that is flexible.

Pangolin
26-03-2019, 09:20
Will now be arriving just before 12.00, an hour earlier costs me an extra 8 quid, currently looking at leaving 8pm ish but that is flexible.

Network Railcard?

Mobyduck
26-03-2019, 10:10
Network Railcard?

Yes, I'm a couple of years short of qualifying for the old fogey version that would allow me to travel the hour earlier at discount.

Aqualung
26-03-2019, 12:33
Yes, I'm a couple of years short of qualifying for the old fogey version that would allow me to travel the hour earlier at discount.

The Senile Railcard gives you discount at any time. I get discount on Anytime tickets and Advance ones before 09:30. It's the London Freedom Pass that you can't use before 09:30 weekdays on anything not run by TFL. Isn't the Network Card valid after 10:00?

Mobyduck
26-03-2019, 12:53
The Senile Railcard gives you discount at any time. I get discount on Anytime tickets and Advance ones before 09:30. It's the London Freedom Pass that you can't use before 09:30 weekdays on anything not run by TFL. Isn't the Network Card valid after 10:00?

Yes I'm catching the 10.05 , despite the fact Portsmouth is not that far from me it's still nearly a 2 hour trip, whereas Southampton is just under an hour.In this case I'm going via Woking?

ETA
28-03-2019, 09:49

I wonder if we could somehow link our phone locations to the map to give a live update of where everyone is - apart from being quite amusing it would help latecomers know where to find our CofG and enable the inevitable splinter groups to rejoin. Probably a bit of a tall order for tomorrow though.

oldboots
28-03-2019, 10:57
There is that rather creepy find my phone feature as used by suspicious spouses and stalkers. 😟

ETA
28-03-2019, 11:20
There is that rather creepy find my phone feature as used by suspicious spouses and stalkers. 😟

My wife hasn't mentioned that - should I be worried?

Gann
28-03-2019, 12:07
There is that rather creepy find my phone feature as used by suspicious spouses and stalkers.

But also extremely useful when your smart phone slides out of your pocket in a taxi...
I once had the pleasure of bringing up the feature on the pc to watch my phone traveling around Milan whilst I was sat in the hotel..

Pangolin
28-03-2019, 12:20
Latest pub updates:

1) The Rutland has changed hands. Not sure yet if that has had any effect on the beer or otherwise but it is on the way back to Fratton station anyway
2) The Staggeringly Good brewery has a nice new tap room, however 'tap' is apparently the operative word and expect everything to be on some form of keg.
Still some interesting brews however: current list is at http://www.staggeringlygood.com/ourbeers/
(http://www.staggeringlygood.com/ourbeers/)

Mobyduck
28-03-2019, 13:13
Latest pub updates:

1) The Rutland has changed hands. Not sure yet if that has had any effect on the beer or otherwise but it is on the way back to Fratton station anyway
2) The Staggeringly Good brewery has a nice new tap room, however 'tap' is apparently the operative word and expect everything to be on some form of keg.
Still some interesting brews however: current list is at http://www.staggeringlygood.com/ourbeers/
(http://www.staggeringlygood.com/ourbeers/)

Looks interesting and not stupid prices, just a matter of getting that far.

oldboots
28-03-2019, 18:08
As I mentioned earlier I'll be there after 11:00 but will go from the IKB to the Hole in the Wall then the Lord Palmerston as my knees are still causing me grief. The JDW Spring fest looks more interesting than it has for some years despite there only being 30 beers.
If anyone's planning to visit the IKB on the way back to the Station it'll probably be rammed.

No festival beers on in the IKB tonight, just the unholy trinity, two fairly ordinary beers from Weltons and one other. It was rammed at 5:30 though as was the Fleet which had a formal and long queue in operation.

Aqualung
28-03-2019, 18:45
and not stupid prices

Really? PSM's review suggests a makeshift and basic area and also reveals the prices have risen by 50p a pint in under three years.

Aqualung
28-03-2019, 18:49
No festival beers on in the IKB tonight, just the unholy trinity, two fairly ordinary beers from Weltons and one other. It was rammed at 5:30 though as was the Fleet which had a formal and long queue in operation.

It sounds like the three tins of Pathmaker Pale for a fiver option may be the order of the day.

rpadam
28-03-2019, 19:08
Having now arrived on Portsea by ferry, with no passports yet required to get across from Hayling Island despite all the Brex**t shenanigans, I'll probably see the remaining pilgrims somewhere in Southsea in the morning as I will skip the IKB because I have a few errands to run beforehand...

Dave M
28-03-2019, 19:18
No festival beers on in the IKB tonight.
A bit further out of town at the Sir John Baker, two festival beers on, GK Heritage (24) and Moonraker (30) - I won't be rushing to have either again

Dave M
28-03-2019, 19:20
I wonder if we could somehow link our phone locations to the map to give a live update of where everyone is - apart from being quite amusing it would help latecomers know where to find our CofG and enable the inevitable splinter groups to rejoin. Probably a bit of a tall order for tomorrow though.
Definitely was too tall an order as I was travelling down today but I love it as an idea, it is just the privacy implications that make it awkward, technically doable though

trainman
28-03-2019, 19:24
Is the list in post 122 the expected running order?
I'd like my shorter list to intersect at at least the 5 pubs co-ticked..!

Mobyduck
28-03-2019, 19:29
Really? PSM's review suggests a makeshift and basic area and also reveals the prices have risen by 50p a pint in under three years.

Par for the course

Mobyduck
28-03-2019, 19:41
Is the list in post 122 the expected running order?
I'd like my shorter list to intersect at at least the 5 pubs co-ticked..!

Roughly so Jim yes.

Quinno
28-03-2019, 20:25
I should be down just before 12 tomorrow (probably on the same train as BF and PSM?). I'll be ducking and weaving as I have done a fair number of the pubs before so will be looking for new ticks. I'll probably be ducking out 6-7 as I need to be up in Worcester the next day.

See you tomorrow.

ETA
29-03-2019, 07:14
I should be down just before 12 tomorrow (probably on the same train as BF and PSM?). I'll be ducking and weaving as I have done a fair number of the pubs before so will be looking for new ticks.

See you tomorrow.

Similar. I'm definitely going to include Wildcard 3 and No 14, plus I might have a quick look at The Merchant House and The Milton Arms on the way.

AlanH
29-03-2019, 07:59
Have a great day in Pompey PubGalorers! Hope the large attendance drink Pompey dry!
Sorry it's not Cardiff but I couldn't cross the Hard Border of Wales on this Sheffexit day. Cheers! :cheers: :drinkup:

aleandhearty
29-03-2019, 08:52
Have a great day everyone. I look forward to the debrief, as usual.

Wittenden
29-03-2019, 09:14
Have a great day everyone. I look forward to the debrief, as usual.

Seconded!

Pangolin
29-03-2019, 10:13

They just did a major bit of crowd funding to quadruple brew capacity and build new taproom.

Mobyduck
29-03-2019, 22:17
A few pics to be going on with.

bcfczuluarmy
29-03-2019, 23:29
I had intentions to turn up to utilise the perfect remaining day and a half's remaining leave to use but sadly needing to sort a new passport to go to Poland in 3 weeks and a friends birthday day out I'd forgotten sort of put pay to my plans to do more of Portsmouth other than all the pubs near the port to get a boat to Spain.

Hope you all had a good day.

Mobyduck
30-03-2019, 10:50
And a couple more.

Real Ale Ray
30-03-2019, 11:43
Great day yesterday, feeling a bit delicate today, but still going to do a few micros in Southampton - here are some pics

Aqualung
30-03-2019, 22:06
I made a right pigs ear of things by going to the wrong bus stop. I asked the driver if they went to Kings Road Roundabout and she said yes. She changed her mind when we got to the Kings Theatre and I noticed a pub advertising cask called the Vaults. It turned out to be a mediocre Fuller's house. With my knees giving me increasing grief I ended up going back to the IKB, not a great experience on a Friday afternoon but at least I got a table to myself at the quieter far end.

oldboots
01-04-2019, 19:27
Back at last from sunny Pompey and dubious Peterborough, here's a couple including the group photo taken at the Barley Mow

Mobyduck
01-04-2019, 21:58
Back at last from sunny Pompey and dubious Peterborough, here's a couple including the group photo taken at the Barley Mow

What no Real Ale Ray? :D

Quinno
01-04-2019, 22:52
What no Real Ale Ray? :D

I think he had his hands on a pump?

Real Ale Ray
02-04-2019, 19:01
I think he had his hands on a pump?

I was actually in the garden having a chinwag with Colin, and not locked in the gents toilet!

Tris39
02-04-2019, 19:17
I was actually in the garden having a chinwag with Colin, and not locked in the gents toilet!

We believe you!:D

A great day out.

ETA
02-04-2019, 19:44
We believe you!:D

A great day out.

Agreed. Thanks for all your efforts, Pangolin.

Bucking Fastard
02-04-2019, 20:13
Agreed. Thanks for all your efforts, Pangolin.

I second that,Pangolin drew up a very fine list of venues and was expert in guiding those not familiar with Pompey,such as I, on the most direct route between the pubs.:bemerry:

Mobyduck
02-04-2019, 20:31
I second that,Pangolin drew up a very fine list of venues and was expert in guiding those not familiar with Pompey,such as I, on the most direct route between the pubs.:bemerry:

Thirded

Pangolin
03-04-2019, 08:46
Thanks guys - pleased to be of service :D

it was entirely co-incidental that I happened to be 'refreshing' my visits in the area at the time Portsmouth was chosen, which gave me a head start. But let's hear it for Dave's mapping tool as well, which will be a great help in the future.

By the way - there seems to be a small incursion in the third picture at the Brewhouse (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/59788/)!

Farway
03-04-2019, 09:33
Seems you all had a great crawl in Pompey, even though I'm probably the closest to there I didn't attend because of walking problems and now compulsorily TT it could've been a temptation too far for weak flesh & blood.

Quinno
09-04-2019, 18:14
now compulsorily TT it could've been a temptation too far for weak flesh & blood.

Didn't know that - my thoughts are with you :(

Pangolin
12-04-2019, 22:15
The late running Brewers Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87571/)in Milton has finally opened - just as well we didn't wait for it! It apparently has 4 cask ales on from £3.75 a pint, with crafty stuff going up to £6 for 2/3rds (a 7.2% stout). It's on the 1 and 2 bus routes for anyone that fancies a visit.