PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Links

rpadam
01-11-2018, 22:24
Is it just me, or has anybody else encountered database error messages when try to add Facebook links in recent days?

bcfczuluarmy
01-11-2018, 22:33
No I did but TBH the pub wasn't worth it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toothill-Village-Tavern/511360615575411

Got

Your attempt to view this page has failed due to a fault on our data base.

You can either go back and try again, or revisit our site at a later time when the problem will have been resolved

Aqualung
01-11-2018, 22:38
Is it just me, or has anybody else encountered database error messages when try to add Facebook links in recent days?

Yes, I got that trying to add a Facebook link to the new Broadstairs micropub.

oldboots
02-11-2018, 08:58

Yes, me too.

aleandhearty
06-11-2018, 12:57

This seems to be dragging on a bit, still can't add any links. Any news on this, Dave?

aleandhearty
08-11-2018, 12:09
Things appear to be back to normal.

RealAleRobUK
09-11-2018, 16:55
As an aside, can us mere mortals add Facebook, Twitter and web site links to an existing pub? I have only ever seen the option to add a link at the time of adding a new pub (and that is only for the official web site, not Facebook etc).

I can't see anything relevant under the "Correct details" option and under the "External Links" section there is a big "DELETE!" button next to each for removing a rogue link, but no obvious way of making a correction or adding a new one.

I'd imagine if I can delete a link, I should be able to add one, or am I overthinking things here? Have I missed something blindingly obvious?

rpadam
09-11-2018, 18:22
As an aside, can us mere mortals add Facebook, Twitter and web site links to an existing pub? I have only ever seen the option to add a link at the time of adding a new pub (and that is only for the official web site, not Facebook etc).

I can't see anything relevant under the "Correct details" option and under the "External Links" section there is a big "DELETE!" button next to each for removing a rogue link, but no obvious way of making a correction or adding a new one.

I'd imagine if I can delete a link, I should be able to add one, or am I overthinking things here? Have I missed something blindingly obvious?
You should be able to see a 'Submit a Web Link' box below the existing external web links for the pub?

RealAleRobUK
09-11-2018, 18:27
You should be able to see a 'Submit a Web Link' box below the existing external web links for the pub?

Duh - oh yeah! How could I have missed that?

sheffield hatter
23-11-2018, 17:25
Things appear to be back to normal.

Not working for me. Just tried it on both Firefox and Chrome. (Windows 7)

rpadam
23-11-2018, 18:39
Not working for me. Just tried it on both Firefox and Chrome. (Windows 7)
Yes, the old problem seems to have returned...

Dave M
23-11-2018, 21:32
Yes, the old problem seems to have returned...

I think it is just Facebook putting a temporary block on my requests again, if so it should just start working by itself at some point in the next 24-48 hours. Sorry! :muppet:

sheffield hatter
23-11-2018, 21:39
I think it is just Facebook putting a temporary block on my requests again, if so it should just start working by itself at some point in the next 24-48 hours. Sorry! :muppet:

OK, working again! You need to either cuddle up with them or tell them where to get off with their crappy social media. (Guess which one I'd prefer!)

NickDavies
17-04-2019, 18:28
Looks like it's at it again. I'm trying to add

https://www.facebook.com/cross.tree.byfield

to

The Cross Tree (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29935/)

but get the usual

Your attempt to view this page has failed due to a fault on our data base.

You can either go back and try again, or revisit our site at a later time when the problem will have been resolved

Dave M
18-04-2019, 10:55
Looks like it's at it again. I'm trying to add

https://www.facebook.com/cross.tree.byfield

The problem with that one is that they have set it up as a personal profile rather than a business page. So my script runs in the background trying to grab all the page information and Facebook tells me that it is a personal profile and I'm quite rightly not allowed access to it.

RealAleRobUK
21-02-2020, 09:54
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I figured it was probably better than starting a new one.

For several months now we have been unable to add Facebook links to pub pages, attempts get the following response:

Alert!
Currently unable to process Facebook links, Dave is working on it

I'm assuming the underlying technical issue is that for some reason the PuG site is unable to scrape the Facebook data from those pages to incorporate on the web site (eg latest post and opening hours).

However it would still be useful to be able to add the Facebook links for pubs and they just act as standard clickable links, even if only as a workaround until the underlying issue is resolved (assuming it will/can be).

Can a magic wand be waved?

oldboots
21-02-2020, 10:18
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I figured it was probably better than starting a new one.

For several months now we have been unable to add Facebook links to pub pages, attempts get the following response:

Alert!
Currently unable to process Facebook links, Dave is working on it

I'm assuming the underlying technical issue is that for some reason the PuG site is unable to scrape the Facebook data from those pages to incorporate on the web site (eg latest post and opening hours).

However it would still be useful to be able to add the Facebook links for pubs and they just act as standard clickable links, even if only as a workaround until the underlying issue is resolved (assuming it will/can be).

Can a magic wand be waved?

When we add the facebook links it appears to be the same basic process as adding any other link including an automated check by accessing the URL.

I think the workaround would be to put the link into a review either as text or a hyperlink.

RealAleRobUK
21-02-2020, 10:48
I think the workaround would be to put the link into a review either as text or a hyperlink.

That's an idea, it may not be elegant, but it would work.

NickDavies
21-02-2020, 19:14
Well you could just add the Facebook.fr French FB site, which will redirect to facebook.com as I have tried here (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74358/). Other countries are available.

However this will confront users with browser related grief due to certificate trust issues, which will freak most people out. So probably not the best idea.

But as RAR says I think it's to do with scraping FB for opening hours and things, not URL validation.

Mobyduck
21-02-2020, 22:46
:confused:

Dave M
15-01-2021, 21:31
I've re-enabled the adding of Facebook links as just standard links. Sorry, clearly should've done so ages ago. :muppet:

Given up the battle with Facebook to use their official API. They really did over-react after the whole Cambridge Analytica affair, although I think they may be happy to lock down their system.