PDA

View Full Version : Cashless card only pubs

oldboots
18-09-2018, 15:44
http://www.itv.com/news/2018-09-18/landlord-claims-pub-is-first-in-uk-to-stop-taking-cash-payments/

Mobyduck
18-09-2018, 19:33
http://www.itv.com/news/2018-09-18/landlord-claims-pub-is-first-in-uk-to-stop-taking-cash-payments/

Been in a couple of cashless railway arches to date, but not yet a proper pub.

london calling
18-09-2018, 19:50
Was in a cashless bar in Ealing 2 years ago. Got my drink for free as I ordered it and they wouldn't take cash.

Komakino
18-09-2018, 20:03

I've lost count of the amount of places I've been to (primarily Central London, but creeping out to the suburbs and Home Counties) where I've ordered a drink and the server has immediately gone to fetch the card terminal. I always say with a smile "No, I'm doing it the old-fashioned way" whilst proffering coins or a note - they either return the smile or look at me as if I've just dropped out of an elephant's arse...

Wittenden
18-09-2018, 21:51

Went to our local ploughing match at the weekend.My son bought me a beer in the beertent, and paid cashless.The barman took it in his stride, but in the time it took to whip out a smart phone, a mound of wire and a card reader I could have paid in proper money,drunk my beer and ordered the next one...
Any way,I don't want the bankmanager to know what I spend on beer.

rpadam
18-09-2018, 22:04
Went to our local ploughing match at the weekend.My son bought me a beer in the beertent, and paid cashless.The barman took it in his stride, but in the time it took to whip out a smart phone, a mound of wire and a card reader I could have paid in proper money,drunk my beer and ordered the next one...
Well, if that was in a field between Headcorn and Hawkenbury, steam is still a new technology!

Aqualung
18-09-2018, 22:35
Any way,I don't want the bank manager to know what I spend on beer.
Good point! I shop mainly in Tesco as it's the easiest one to get to and always pay with cash, nor do I have a Club Card. The idea of sticking two fingers up at their marketing department is worth the paltry saving of having a Club Card!
I don't have a smart phone and have no intention of getting one. They are turning the human race into zombies.
I can't see card only pubs becoming widespread in the immediate future. Maybe the more trendy ones will but I couldn't care less what they do.

Wittenden
19-09-2018, 07:49
Well, if that was in a field between Headcorn and Hawkenbury, steam is still a new technology!

Yep! I was surprised they found a signal.Perhaps the steam ploughing rig generated its own wifi. Decent beer to be had, though.

london calling
08-10-2018, 20:02
Was in the Beer Boutique Putney last night and ordered a third of the only beer I could afford Kernal -green hop 3.1 £2.45.The barman told me when I tried to pay with cash that they had stopped cash only this week.After I told him I didn't have a card the only other customer in the pub sat at the bar told the barman to stick it on his bill and he would pay for it.Nice guy but I compromised by giving him the money and he paid on his card.Sorted but I think this is going to get more common and I will have to reluctantly start taking a card out with me Lost a credit card 3 weeks ago and lost my debit card last week so not happy about this payment change.

Aqualung
08-10-2018, 20:16
Was in the Beer Boutique Putney last night and ordered a third of the only beer I could afford Kernal -green hop 3.1 £2.45.The barman told me when I tried to pay with cash that they had stopped cash only this week.After I told him I didn't have a card the only other customer in the pub sat at the bar told the barman to stick it on his bill and he would pay for it.Nice guy but I compromised by giving him the money and he paid on his card.Sorted but I think this is going to get more common and I will have to reluctantly start taking a card out with me Lost a credit card 3 weeks ago and lost my debit card last week so not happy about this payment change.

I think this is outrageous. I have cards but would have told the barman where to stick it. I can't see this happening anywhere other than trendy bars which I try and avoid. However, I would gladly go to places like this and order the most expensive drink available just so I could walk out and tell them where to go when they declined cash.

Mobyduck
08-10-2018, 21:15

Had the situation in UBREW (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83233/) earlier this year, knew it was card only from an earlier visit so was prepared with my card, but the banks had a problem and the card machines were not working, they took cash soon enough.

london calling
09-10-2018, 19:22
I think this is outrageous. I have cards but would have told the barman where to stick it. I can't see this happening anywhere other than trendy bars which I try and avoid. However, I would gladly go to places like this and order the most expensive drink available just so I could walk out and tell them where to go when they declined cash.
In five years time this will be the norm. How many banks will be around for them to pay the cash into.Anyway the savings they made by going cashless was why the beer from Garage brewery(Barcelona) was only £12 a pint

Farway
10-10-2018, 12:55
Had the situation in UBREW (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/83233/) earlier this year, knew it was card only from an earlier visit so was prepared with my card, but the banks had a problem and the card machines were not working, they took cash soon enough.

My bold, I did wonder how such places went on when the banks' card payments go down, which seems becoming fairly common lately

Would it be wise to get hold of a preloaded card, one to limit any fraud & also just in case it is lost, nicked or cloned?

Tris39
15-10-2018, 17:17
My bold, I did wonder how such places went on when the banks' card payments go down, which seems becoming fairly common lately

Would it be wise to get hold of a preloaded card, one to limit any fraud & also just in case it is lost, nicked or cloned?

As mentioned by others, I don't think this is legal. It's obligatory to accept legal tender; cards can be refused but I think any shop would be treading on very thin ice if it refused to take cash.

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 17:42
As mentioned by others, I don't think this is legal. It's obligatory to accept legal tender; cards can be refused but I think any shop would be treading on very thin ice if it refused to take cash.

I'm not sure that pubs come under the same rules as shops. I thought a pub could refuse to serve anyone without having to justify their actions.

NickDavies
15-10-2018, 17:51
Legal tender urban myth.... there is no obligation for shops to accept cash.

"Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. "

https://www.royalmint.com/help/trm-faqs/legal-tender-amounts/

Dave M
15-10-2018, 18:40
I just thought I'd pull these posts out of the random thread as it intrigues me enough to warrant a thread.

In five years time this will be the norm

I'm inclined to agree. I hadn't realised just how relatively cheap card payments had become.

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 19:17
Is it worth starting a "Hall Of Shame" of venues that do this?

Blackthorn
15-10-2018, 19:26
I read in the local press today that Small Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/505/) has become the first pub in Bristol to go card only.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bar-become-first-city-2090688

Perhaps we need a new filter set up - “takes cash”!

Bucking Fastard
15-10-2018, 19:37

Could be useful.There are some people who for whatever reason don't wish to create an electronic record of exactly where they have been.............................................. ....my credibility locally would be shot if I was found out to be a regular at a Mc Mullens pub ;)

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 19:47

I would think at this stage an extra one of these would be an overload. I was thinking more of a forum list. If the people who have posted above are correct then that would become unwieldy. I don't agree with them but that may be more wishful thinking than logic.

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 19:49
My credibility locally would be shot if I was found out to be a regular at a Mc Mullens pub ;)

I'm speechless!!!

london calling
15-10-2018, 20:49
There is nothing wrong with Mcmullens beer that could not be sorted by better brewers ,more hops,less malt and some taste.

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 21:04
There is nothing wrong with Mcmullens beer that could not be sorted by better brewers ,more hops,less malt and some taste.

I remember in the 1990s they did a series of seasonal brews that at the time were OK being something different. Their AK was revered in CAMRA circles as a light mild but to me it was just a cooking beer, more acceptable than most of the Big Six dross.
My objection to them is that they dropped some of their smaller rural pubs (the Moletrap springs to mind) and just kept increasing prices annually. This was always just before the budget so they could increase them again for duty rises and then blame the government.

Dave M
15-10-2018, 21:33
I would think at this stage an extra one of these would be an overload. I was thinking more of a forum list. If the people who have posted above are correct then that would become unwieldy.

I like making lists though! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/cashless-card-only/

I've not added it as a 'pub feature' option though so I'll keep an eye out for reports posted here and add them to the list - until it becomes unwieldy anyway.

If it does remain a relatively minor thing then it would probably become useful to flag on pub pages that they don't take proper money.

rpadam
15-10-2018, 21:49
I like making lists though! https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-features/cashless-card-only/

I've not added it as a 'pub feature' option though so I'll keep an eye out for reports posted here and add them to the list - until it becomes unwieldy anyway.

If it does remain a relatively minor thing then it would probably become useful to flag on pub pages that they don't take proper money.
There is an empty 'Cashless since' date for Ubrew, but it was cards only when I visited on 16 August 2016 (which sticks in the mind as being the first time I encountered this phenomenon).

hondo
16-10-2018, 06:59
Beatbox (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/84982/)

Pubsignman
16-10-2018, 10:32
Visited this place recently and they only took card payments - Trap Real Ale Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86938/)

If this was a list of pubs where the bar staff assume you are paying by card and hand you the card machine by default, you could add pretty much every Central London pub - I did a four-pub, Friday evening crawl in Fitzrovia recently and in all four pubs I was given the card machine whilst I was holding out a bank note. :rolleyes:

AlanH
16-10-2018, 14:36

I have only just got used to some pubs accepting cards! (for drinks only that is).

I am used to the old signs "Cash Only - The Banks don't sell Beer, We don't cash Cheques!"

oldboots
16-10-2018, 16:44
Is there not still a law prohibiting the purchase of alcohol on credit? So a debit card is fine but a credit card would be illegal?

NickDavies
16-10-2018, 17:56
Is there not still a law prohibiting the purchase of alcohol on credit? So a debit card is fine but a credit card would be illegal?

No. I'd hate to see the kerfuffle in supermarket checkouts if there was.

And was there ever? You've surely always been able to pay by credit card in restaurants. And settle hotel bills.
Diners Club?

oldboots
16-10-2018, 20:25
Pretty sure it was illegal at one time to sell alcohol on credit, possibly repealed once credit or "charge" cards (Diners/Amex) became widely available. It may date back to the various Defence of the Realm Acts where for example "treating" (buying rounds) was illegal or been part of anti-truck laws.

RealAleRobUK
17-10-2018, 07:12
Öl Nano Brewery & Bar (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87044/) can be added to the "no cash" list.

RealAleRobUK
17-10-2018, 07:15
Pretty sure it was illegal at one time to sell alcohol on credit, possibly repealed once credit or "charge" cards (Diners/Amex) became widely available. It may date back to the various Defence of the Realm Acts where for example "treating" (buying rounds) was illegal or been part of anti-truck laws.

I found this article from 2003:

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2003/01/23/Credit-cards-no-bar-to-drinks-sale

Seems that like so many things, it is open to interpretation and in this case how you choose to define "credit".

hondo
20-10-2018, 17:13
brewdog canary wharf and clerkenwell

london calling
22-10-2018, 20:35
The pub curmudgeon tweeted that Sam Smiths -the Bird in Hand Mobberely has stopped taking cards as of today. So there will be somewhere for the Luddites to drink after all.

Real Ale Ray
25-10-2018, 17:38
No cash accepted at all in Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86995/) they didn't even have a price list anywhere either!

RealAleRobUK
25-10-2018, 18:09
No cash accepted at all in Cloudwater Brewery Tap Room (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86995/) they didn't even have a price list anywhere either!

If I remember rightly with Cloudwater, they have a "fixed price" of £3 per drink with the size of the dispense varying depending on (presumably) the strength of that drink. So for example a 1/3 pint of an Imperial Stout at 11% may set you back £3, but that same £3 would get you a 1/2 pint of a 6% beer, or for lower strengths your £3 may get you 2/3 or a full pint. I seem to recall the "all drinks £3" is in fairly small writing at the top of the menu and is easy to miss.

Obviously if you deviate away from the recommended serve the price will adjust accordingly (and presumably proportionally).

Real Ale Ray
26-10-2018, 16:58
If I remember rightly with Cloudwater, they have a "fixed price" of £3 per drink with the size of the dispense varying depending on (presumably) the strength of that drink. So for example a 1/3 pint of an Imperial Stout at 11% may set you back £3, but that same £3 would get you a 1/2 pint of a 6% beer, or for lower strengths your £3 may get you 2/3 or a full pint. I seem to recall the "all drinks £3" is in fairly small writing at the top of the menu and is easy to miss.

Obviously if you deviate away from the recommended serve the price will adjust accordingly (and presumably proportionally).

I stand corrected Rob, looking again at the leaflet we took away with us, it does say 'All Cloudwater Beers £3', but it is in small writing and easily missed.

london calling
07-11-2018, 20:56
Just checked Twitter on a few pubs I will be visiting tomorrow night in Brixton and one of my favourites the Crown and Anchor only takes cards.Lucky I checked.

london calling
10-11-2018, 22:09
Just checked Twitter on a few pubs I will be visiting tomorrow night in Brixton and one of my favourites the Crown and Anchor only takes cards.Lucky I checked.
Got to Kew Bridge station and realised I had forgot to bring a card so was a bit disappointed I would have to forgo the Crown and Anchor but the main event was a tap takeover at London Beer Lab.Burnt Mill are a great new brewer and brewing the best beer that money can buy.Unfortunately for me they only take cards..Wasted night and pretty dull beer in general.

ROBCamra
17-11-2018, 07:49

Sign at the brewery last night. "From Monday 19th November all serves will be £3.50"

I thought £3 for 2/3rds of a 2.9% beer was a rip off, never mind £3.50.:moremad:

Aqualung
17-11-2018, 22:08
I thought £3 for 2/3rds of a 2.9% beer was a rip off, never mind £3.50.:moremad:

As far as I'm concerned £3.00 for 2/3rds is a rip off for anything under 6.5% and why do they insist on these stupid measures? I'm glad I've never wasted money on any of their overpriced beers.

london calling
18-11-2018, 17:30
The Dodo micropub had a 5.5 Cloudwater beer on cask on Thursday for £6.40 a pint.

Aqualung
18-11-2018, 18:34
The Dodo micropub had a 5.5 Cloudwater beer on cask on Thursday for £6.40 a pint.

Which explains why I've still not been there.
I suspect all the SE London ones would swerve from stocking it.

Tris39
18-11-2018, 19:03
Which explains why I've still not been there.
I suspect all the SE London ones would swerve from stocking it.

What an upper rip-off. Perhaps extinction isn't that bad after all...:whistle:

Aqualung
18-11-2018, 20:49
What an upper rip-off. Perhaps extinction isn't that bad after all...:whistle:

I see what you did there!

RealAleRobUK
20-11-2018, 15:21
Sign at the brewery last night. "From Monday 19th November all serves will be £3.50"

That's quite a jump. Shiny new premises to pay for I guess (which I haven't been to yet).

Komakino
20-11-2018, 18:00
Here's a new one to me in the recent cash vs card developments.

I'm currently in The Merchant (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25150/) - a Fuller's pub in London's Docklands. I ordered a pint of Mallinson's Amarillo and one of my eyebrows did its best Roger Moore impersonation when I was asked for £6 for the privilege. Whilst rooting around for the money, the barmaid, who was oblivious to my fumblings (story of my life...) held out the card machine only to be taken aback when I proferred cash (a five-pound note and a £2 coin). An awkward 15-20 seconds of her tapping on the EPOS machine ensued after which she said "five pounds" and gave me back the coin. When I asked why I got the "refund" she told me it was cheaper as I'd paid by cash! I couldn't see any 'minimum card' transaction signs anywhere.

The Amarillo was in fine form, but then again, I'd expect that for £5...

Tris39
20-11-2018, 18:22

I'm currently in The Merchant (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25150/) - a Fuller's pub in London's Docklands. I ordered a pint of Mallinson's Amarillo and one of my eyebrows did its best Roger Moore impersonation when I was asked for £6 for the privilege. Whilst rooting around for the money, the barmaid, who was oblivious to my fumblings (story of my life...) held out the card machine only to be taken aback when I proferred cash (a five-pound note and a £2 coin). An awkward 15-20 seconds of her tapping on the EPOS machine ensued after which she said "five pounds" and gave me back the coin. When I asked why I got the "refund" she told me it was cheaper as I'd paid by cash! I couldn't see any 'minimum card' transaction signs anywhere.

I wonder then just how many other pubs are profiteering from cardless transactions and by a 20% markup too? I wonder if this is Fuller's policy or just the pub's?

Mobyduck
20-11-2018, 18:59

Beggars belief.

Quinno
20-11-2018, 19:24

I'd get onto Fullers if I were you - seems rather dodgy. I wonder if they are running through gratis tips on the card on the assumption that nobody will notice.

Aqualung
20-11-2018, 19:34

Being a lifelong cynic I would suggest this is why certain places are so keen on card only transactions. If like many places they are also giving out short measures then they're really raking it in.

aleandhearty
06-12-2018, 14:58
It would appear the concept has reached Leeds. Just read an online review (Yorkshire Evening Post) for North Brewing Co Tap Leeds (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87179/) and they are card only.

NickDavies
11-12-2018, 15:31
The bar where your cash is worthless

"Somewhere in the region of 10-13% of the total revenue would be cash and the rest was card"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529

Looks like this one (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77683/)

bcfczuluarmy
11-12-2018, 22:58
I was watching an old FBI files last night and thought who robs banks these days which is not quite as similar as pubs but it's clearly got to be a crime on the decline as volumes of cash reduce.... Unlikely cash will be removed as it's got to be needed by those that refuse to change and as a backup. Can you buy a 5p sweet on a card and make it cost effective to the shop keeper and I'm upping the value from a 1p sweet.

ETA
12-12-2018, 05:46
What I find annoying is when they say there is a minimum card spend, which is more than the price of a pint, yet they won't let you run a tab and pay for it all together.

hondo
12-12-2018, 10:55
I was watching an old FBI files last night and thought who robs banks these days which is not quite as similar as pubs but it's clearly got to be a crime on the decline as volumes of cash reduce.... Unlikely cash will be removed as it's got to be needed by those that refuse to change and as a backup. Can you buy a 5p sweet on a card and make it cost effective to the shop keeper and I'm upping the value from a 1p sweet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46468279

Farway
12-12-2018, 13:35
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46468279

Beat me to it, part of the night time economy round here, nick jcb / land rover etc, drive to quite village & smash shop front in & nick ATM

bcfczuluarmy
12-12-2018, 20:31
Yes sorry, fully aware of ATM as the new cash crime over shooterz and stockings, but you'll be surprised how many attempts fail and only about 700 goes last year iirc from BBC documentary. Gun in face generally saw you coming out with cash. Just a shame no pubs to spend it in now...

Aqualung
15-12-2018, 20:35
Can you buy a 5p sweet on a card and make it cost effective to the shop keeper and I'm upping the value from a 1p sweet.

It was four Black Jacks for an old penny in my day young man!

Aqualung
15-12-2018, 20:40
What I find annoying is when they say there is a minimum card spend, which is more than the price of a pint, yet they won't let you run a tab and pay for it all together.

Another piece in the rip off card only jigsaw. I'd be more than happy to visit any card only place, order a drink and then tell them I don't have a card after swiftly downing the pint in one.

AlanH
19-12-2018, 10:15
The pub curmudgeon tweeted that Sam Smiths -the Bird in Hand Mobberely has stopped taking cards as of today. So there will be somewhere for the Luddites to drink after all.

Trust Sam Smiths to buck the trend! Also in The Falcon in Chester a sign behind the bar states, "Card payments not accepted, this is a 'Cash-Only' establishment."

Tris39
19-12-2018, 18:13
Another piece in the rip off card only jigsaw. I'd be more than happy to visit any card only place, order a drink and then tell them I don't have a card after swiftly downing the pint in one.

Apparently all shops require the capacity to take cash as in the event of a WiFi failure, the card reader won't work.

oldboots
19-12-2018, 19:13

I doubt that would work given the modern habit of pulling 3/4 of a pint, taking payment then topping up a bit before running off before you can complain about the short measure.

Aqualung
19-12-2018, 20:17
I doubt that would work given the modern habit of pulling 3/4 of a pint, taking payment then topping up a bit before running off before you can complain about the short measure.

I'm sure you're right!

Farway
20-12-2018, 12:20
Apparently all shops require the capacity to take cash as in the event of a WiFi failure, the card reader won't work.

Common sense, but not yet law as it is in some other countries, some just don't take cash, ever, & prefer to close in event of card failures

Mobyduck
20-12-2018, 18:40
Common sense, but not yet law as it is in some other countries, some just don't take cash, ever, & prefer to close in event of card failures

More fool them.

london calling
23-12-2018, 00:14
Came across two card only outlets in Crystal Palace mid week
The Douglas Fir but I gave my cash to a guy at the bar who put it on his card.Turns out him and his mate are the owner and the brewer .Offered me a free pint later as well.
The Craft and Courage when they realised I could not pay for the two drinks I had ordered said they could accept cash but preferred not to.Common sense prevailed
New Year resolution no1 must take a card on my travels.

Bucking Fastard
28-12-2018, 08:41
Craft Beer Cabin (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86980/).

However there are two mitigating factors.
Firstly talking to the owners this micro opened in August and at the first Palace match they had great takings. There was then a break in to this shop conversion and all the cash was nicked,so they decided relunctantly to go cashless (they inform you of this before pouring any beer).
Secondly on busy match days,contactless payments are so much quicker than mucking about with cash which allows swifter service behind the bar.

Tris39
28-12-2018, 17:49

Firstly talking to the owners this micro opened in August and at the first Palace match they had great takings. There was then a break in to this shop conversion and all the cash was nicked,so they decided relunctantly to go cashless (they inform you of this before pouring any beer).
Secondly on busy match days,contactless payments are so much quicker than mucking about with cash which allows swifter service behind the bar.

Indeed. Makes perfect sense: reduces the chance of the individual or business premises being robbed if no-one carries cash any longer; it also seems to greatly speed up service. However, since going contactless my bank statements read like phone directories. Shops will still have to make allowances for cash in the event of a card or card reader failure; I've experienced both recently. Sometimes the WiFi reception doesn't work and I know of one premises (not a pub) where the owner has to go outside or upstairs to wave the reader around in order to get a good signal!

NickDavies
28-12-2018, 22:16
Shops will still have to make allowances for cash in the event of a card or card reader failure. Sometimes the WiFi reception doesn't work and I know of one premises (not a pub) where the owner has to go outside or upstairs to wave the reader around in order to get a good signal!

Seems odd. They'd normally have a master device connected directly to the phone line where the till is. And do businesses really need to fall back to cash? Would you expect someone to find cash for even a £100 restaurant bill if the technology fails? Should that happen the fallback usually involves phoning for an authorisation code.

Brainypool
13-01-2019, 10:10
Barcadium (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/19698/). Card only. Preston's first steps to hipsterdom

Wild Rover
23-01-2019, 14:00
It would appear the concept has reached Leeds. Just read an online review (Yorkshire Evening Post) for North Brewing Co Tap Leeds (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87179/) and they are card only.
Yes this one is a cashless bar. There is a sign behind the bar saying card only

hondo
07-03-2019, 10:45
"has asked customers for their views on moving to a "
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/two-leeds-pubs-could-ban-cash-after-spate-of-terrifying-robberies-1-9632885

Tris39
07-03-2019, 19:36
Yes this one is a cashless bar. There is a sign behind the bar saying card only

The Wrestlers (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25481/) - now cashless since my last visit just over two years ago.

Farway
08-03-2019, 12:17
Access to cash review may stop the spread of card only, may become a legal requirement to take cash if offered, but don't hold your breath as can is kicked down road & eventually into long grass

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2019/march/boe-welcomes-access-to-cash-review

Pangolin
10-03-2019, 23:07
Access to cash review may stop the spread of card only, may become a legal requirement to take cash if offered, but don't hold your breath as can is kicked down road & eventually into long grass

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news/2019/march/boe-welcomes-access-to-cash-review

Sadly even the Access to Cash review is only calling for "suppliers of essential services" to be required to accept cash. While many of us would no doubt put publicans in this category, I doubt this would be generally accepted!

Tris39
08-04-2019, 18:02
The other day I was exploring The Star Of The East (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25181/). Went for contactless payment at the price of £2.10 but my card needed to be 'verified' by insertion into the slot and as if by magic, the price dropped to £2.00. Not sure how this happened.:confused:

Mobyduck
08-04-2019, 18:43
As mentioned in London Callings review, Craft & Courage (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86979/) is cashless, whereas down the road a bit in Gypsy Hill The Colby Arms (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24310/) Is Cash Only.

Gann
09-04-2019, 10:19

There is another big advantage to going cashless that I have just been exposed to through my company as we took the decision recently to go cashless in our company canteen due to this reason....

Others may already be aware but boy does it reduce your company insurance costs when you have no cash on the premises !!

gillhalfpint
10-04-2019, 13:13
I have just entered Cork & Cage on Pershore Road, Stirchley Birmingham as a new bar, and it is cashless. Paid by card, asked for a receipt and was told no receipt unless I can send it to you by e-mail. No cask beers but 10 craft beers.

Decided to go to page 1 and read all the posts, very interesting. Someone told me cashless is because they don't have to carry a lot of takings to a bank nightly. Can understand this in places where local banks are closing I suppose.

I am not getting a receipt by e-mail - don't want to go down that route and was lucky as my half only cost £2.50 .. .. only did I really say that .. .. One beer in that bar was £4.80 for a third of 4.8% It was a Belgian Gueuze type though.

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2019, 17:48
I have just entered Cork & Cage on Pershore Road, Stirchley Birmingham as a new bar, and it is cashless. Paid by card, asked for a receipt and was told no receipt unless I can send it to you by e-mail. No cask beers but 10 craft beers.

Decided to go to page 1 and read all the posts, very interesting. Someone told me cashless is because they don't have to carry a lot of takings to a bank nightly. Can understand this in places where local banks are closing I suppose.

I am not getting a receipt by e-mail - don't want to go down that route and was lucky as my half only cost £2.50 .. .. only did I really say that .. .. One beer in that bar was £4.80 for a third of 4.8% It was a Belgian Gueuze type though.

Maybe you should change your user name to gillthirdofapint.;)

Mobyduck
10-04-2019, 19:28

No hard receipt ! Is that actually legal?

bcfczuluarmy
10-04-2019, 21:21
Yeah loads of places don't now issue card receipts and I always say if you can save paper don't bother wasting it. I don't have contactless cards so am always aware of the fee I'm being charged but contactless may need to be more aware to confirm amount matches cost you've been told.

NickDavies
11-04-2019, 12:27

Why wouldn't it be?

Think of London buses and tubes. Imagine the flap if people could demand a receipt when they enter/leave the system.

hondo
11-04-2019, 12:54
"and the retailer must give you one if you ask"
http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/contactless_consumer/How_to_use_a_Contactless_card.asp

RealAleRobUK
11-04-2019, 15:03
Another one for the list...

The Knott (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54247/) has a sign up saying it will be card only from 1st May 2019 due to the increasing bank charges associated with handling cash.

Mobyduck
11-04-2019, 18:42
Why wouldn't it be?

Think of London buses and tubes. Imagine the flap if people could demand a receipt when they enter/leave the system.

True in that situation, I presumed if you ask for a receipt you are entitled to one, personally I don't ask.

rpadam
11-04-2019, 18:53
From Hondo's UK Cards Association link:

"For contactless payments for £30 and under, a receipt will not automatically be printed for you. However, you can always ask for a receipt, and the retailer must give you one if you ask. For contactless payments over £30, the retailer must always print a receipt for you.

If you are paying at an unattended terminal, like at a vending machine, the process is slightly different. To make a payment, simply select the goods you wish to purchase and when the amount is shown touch your contactless card or device against the terminal. You will not be provided with a receipt but you can see this transaction on your card statement."

Mobyduck
11-04-2019, 20:06

From Hondo's UK Cards Association link:

"For contactless payments for £30 and under, a receipt will not automatically be printed for you. However, you can always ask for a receipt, and the retailer must give you one if you ask. For contactless payments over £30, the retailer must always print a receipt for you.

If you are paying at an unattended terminal, like at a vending machine, the process is slightly different. To make a payment, simply select the goods you wish to purchase and when the amount is shown touch your contactless card or device against the terminal. You will not be provided with a receipt but you can see this transaction on your card statement."

So , was the response to Gill at the Cork & Cage wrong, or does the e-mail receipt cover the legal requirement?

Aqualung
11-04-2019, 21:32
Why wouldn't it be?

I see what you're getting at but the London transport system doesn't have the history and reputation of ripping you off that the pub trade has.
Card payments are a fantastic opportunity for the numerous crooks in the licensed trade to increase their ill gotten gains.

gillhalfpint
11-04-2019, 21:50
So , was the response to Gill at the Cork & Cage wrong, or does the e-mail receipt cover the legal requirement?

I was told he couldn't give me a receipt but could send one by e-mail. I chose not to give him my e-mail address therefore I presume, accepted that I would not get a receipt. Would certainly not like to be in such a pub buying a few rounds without receipts.

NickDavies
11-04-2019, 21:53

Is that a legally enforceable requirement, or just a code of practice. If the former, perhaps someone could produce the relevant Act.

london calling
12-04-2019, 21:18
If you use a credit card are you actually paying the bill or is it the credit card company that are paying?

Farway
13-04-2019, 14:04
If you use a credit card are you actually paying the bill or is it the credit card company that are paying?

The card company pays, then sucks the dosh back from you

Hence Section 75 claims over £100, the card company is considered to be joint supplier of the goods

AlanH
13-04-2019, 18:32
Is it worth starting a "Hall Of Shame" of venues that do this?

One of my favorite Manchester bars, The Knott Bar under Deansgate Station stops taking cash from May 1st. Not sure that I an happy to still go there!

I can see Aqualung becoming a keen Sam Smiths drinker. Cash sales ONLY! No mobile phones! Beer at £2/pint (oop north at least).
No swearing of course, but as long as you do not ask for a top up! Humphrey rules OK!

Aqualung
13-04-2019, 20:26
One of my favorite Manchester bars, The Knott Bar under Deansgate Station stops taking cash from May 1st. Not sure that I an happy to still go there!

I can see Aqualung becoming a keen Sam Smiths drinker. Cash sales ONLY! No mobile phones! Beer at £2/pint (oop north at least).
No swearing of course, but as long as you do not ask for a top up! Humphrey rules OK!

Something got my blood boiling today in the Wanstead George. It was an idiot watching football on his mobile phone. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BARRED. The two remaining screens in the bar area were showing subtitled BBC News. The beer prices hare and the nearby Walnut Tree have been considerably reduced to £2.09 over the last year and the Premium guest pricing scrapped. Things are looking up, all they need to do now is get rid of the pointless London Pride which I witnessed someone buying this week for the first time ever and being fleeced for £2.79.

hondo
01-05-2019, 12:52
"cash transactions fell to less than 10 per cent of customer spend"
https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/business/lancaster-pub-goes-card-payment-only-after-huge-decline-in-cash-spending-1-9741135

bcfczuluarmy
24-06-2019, 13:49
The Hiding Place (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87280/) is also cashless after visiting yesterday.

trainman
25-06-2019, 11:36
The Hiding Place (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87280/) is also cashless after visiting yesterday.

Errm .... :whistle:

sheffield hatter
12-10-2019, 19:34
Lost Industry Tap (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/88486/)

dasusara
13-10-2019, 15:31
Disappearing Chin in Harrogate and Northern Monk in Leeds both said card only last month.

Quinno
21-10-2019, 18:13
Sam Smiths [...] Cash sales ONLY! No mobile phones! Beer at £2/pint. No swearing!

Having done 13 over the past month in London, I can confirm that all of the above do not apply...!

Tris39
21-10-2019, 18:48
Having done 13 over the past month in London, I can confirm that all of the above do not apply...!

As a consolation, are they stocking any decent beer?

Pangolin
20-01-2020, 00:04
This craft taproom (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87419/) in Guildford

Tris39
26-01-2020, 18:47
Moor Beer Brewery Taproom (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/86110/)

Pick a card - any card (but just don't try using cash).

Mobyduck
18-02-2020, 18:48
The Market House (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/87950/) ,Reading.