PDA

View Full Version : New Static Map

Aqualung
30-09-2018, 22:24
I'd like to register my approval of the new static maps which are scrollable with just the mouse wheel. It's an excellent improvement to the site.

AlanH
30-09-2018, 23:35
I'd like to register my approval of the new static maps which are scrollable with just the mouse wheel. It's an excellent improvement to the site.

I agree. Well done Dave. The static maps are not so static anymore! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Farway
01-10-2018, 12:26
I agree. Well done Dave. The static maps are not so static anymore! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thirded, a nice improvement

Bucking Fastard
01-10-2018, 12:34
Thirded, a nice improvement

I love it too,the walking distance and route from the station is top quality.

RealAleRobUK
01-10-2018, 12:47
I'm also a fan! I hadn't noticed the walking distances, but now they have been mentioned I think I will find them useful when planning train based outings.

ETA
02-10-2018, 08:38
Fourthed. A definite improvement. Thanks Dave.

NickDavies
14-10-2018, 14:23
Drives me mad. If you use two-finger scrolling on a Mac laptop the map captures the pointer as soon as it gets there and and starts zooming it in or out. Arghh.

rpadam
14-10-2018, 15:41
Drives me mad. If you use two-finger scrolling on a Mac laptop the map captures the pointer as soon as it gets there and and starts zooming it in or out. Arghh.
Similarly when scrolling with my PC mouse...

Dave M
15-10-2018, 11:24

Similarly when scrolling with my PC mouse...

Yes this is definitely a problem with a scrolling map so I've made a quick alteration.

If you want to use the scroll wheel you now need to click onto the map first. This should solve the issue for rpadam and to be honest it was annoying me too.

As for problems on touch devices I'm not so sure of how to solve it, will look into it though Nick, it is on my todo list if I am to release these maps on the mobile version otherwise some people may never be able to get to the bottom the page. :eek:

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 13:37
Yes this is definitely a problem with a scrolling map so I've made a quick alteration.

If you want to use the scroll wheel you now need to click onto the map first. This should solve the issue for rpadam and to be honest it was annoying me too.

As for problems on touch devices I'm not so sure of how to solve it, will look into it though Nick, it is on my todo list if I am to release these maps on the mobile version otherwise some people may never be able to get to the bottom the page. :eek:

There's now no map at all there for me, just white space.

Dave M
15-10-2018, 13:55

Damn. The change does appear to have broken it in IE, just reverted it back. :confused:

Mobyduck
15-10-2018, 13:58

The maps are working fine for me on the individual pubs page, but on the area search pubs list page, i.e Central Manchester (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/manchester-central/greater-manchester/) there's a message over the map saying Google maps can't open properly on this page, asking "do you own this website?

Mobyduck
15-10-2018, 14:02
The maps are working fine for me on the individual pubs page, but on the area search pubs list page, i.e Central Manchester (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/manchester-central/greater-manchester/) there's a message over the map saying Google maps can't open properly on this page, asking "do you own this website?

Now that Iv'e posted that, the message is no longer showing?:rolleyes:

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 17:48
Damn. The change does appear to have broken it in IE, just reverted it back. :confused:

It all seems to work now and you have to click the map to make it scroll.

Dave M
15-10-2018, 18:45
It all seems to work now and you have to click the map to make it scroll.

Excellent, I fiddled a bit more with it and worked out what was going on.

I'm hoping the extra click for scrolling isn't too inconvenient/confusing for people browsing the site, I think it makes more sense though.

OK, I read up on the Trackpad stuff and it looks like it doesn't treat it like a touch interface as I assumed. Still trying to figure out a solution.

Aqualung
15-10-2018, 19:12

What about the static map issue?

I'm hoping the extra click for scrolling isn't too inconvenient/confusing for people browsing the site, I think it makes more sense though.

The unintended scrolling of the map was a bit annoying but not in the making by blood boil category (like a pub only accepting cards).
For the benefit of people just browing would it be worth adding some text saying something like "Click on map to scroll in or out"?

sheffield hatter
15-10-2018, 21:30

What about the static map issue?

In case anyone is confused by Aqualung's response, I think what he meant to say was "Ooh er missus (https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/fftx6/can_a_uk_bloke_explain_ooh_err_missus_to_me/)!"

ETA
16-10-2018, 07:35
No issues at in Firefox on a Linux laptop - scrolling and zooming with the touchpad have worked perfectly from the start.

NickDavies
20-10-2018, 12:48
Working fine for me now on a Macbook - many thanks

Pangolin
21-10-2018, 23:35
The individual pub entries are great now (I was getting distracted scrolling down the page and suddenly discovering I was zooming through the map!) but I am still getting the area map failure message that Moby posted about last week. 1703

Mobyduck
22-10-2018, 06:27
The individual pub entries are great now (I was getting distracted scrolling down the page and suddenly discovering I was zooming through the map!) but I am still getting the area map failure message that Moby posted about last week. 1703

Yes still the same here.

NickDavies
22-10-2018, 08:15

It's not just PG - I've had than with embedded Google maps on other sites. Something Google has changed I expect.

Aqualung
22-10-2018, 08:32
It's not just PG - I've had than with embedded Google maps on other sites. Something Google has changed I expect.

Same for me, it happened on one of the budget hotel sites. I've never really used the area maps but it does look untidy.

Dave M
22-10-2018, 09:08
Sorry about the country, county and area pages. They do look bad and they are on the todo list. I figured pub pages were a priority then I just haven't got around to replacing Google elsewhere.

Basically anywhere you see that message it probably means that they haven't given Google their credit card details for map usage - when they realise how much it might cost they probably wont either.

An interesting example is WhatPub, whoever is handling things there has done a great job and set up a quota to avoid getting a surprise crazy bill (something Google make quite hard to do). They have already gone over their quota for the month though and now have the same message.

As I said before, expect a lot of sites to switch to Open Street Maps in the near future.

Aqualung
22-10-2018, 09:16
Sorry about the country, county and area pages. They do look bad and they are on the todo list. I figured pub pages were a priority then I just haven't got around to replacing Google elsewhere.

Basically anywhere you see that message it probably means that they haven't given Google their credit card details for map usage - when they realise how much it might cost they probably wont either.

An interesting example is WhatPub, whoever is handling things there has done a great job and set up a quota to avoid getting a surprise crazy bill (something Google make quite hard to do). They have already gone over their quota for the month though and now have the same message.

As I said before, expect a lot of sites to switch to Open Street Maps in the near future.

Are Google trying to raise cash so they can pay an appropriate amount of tax???

oldboots
22-10-2018, 17:19
Are Google trying to raise cash so they can pay an appropriate amount of tax???

Remind me, which planet would that be where Google etc pays tax?

Tris39
22-10-2018, 17:45

Agree: the Static Maps which are now in no way static are an improvement. I especially like the quick zoom - now fixed - and that you can drag them around.

rpadam
22-10-2018, 21:44

'spoons too, so await Timbo or Eddie Gershon holding forth on the subject soon!

Quinno
22-10-2018, 22:03
Ratebeer has the same issue

Aqualung
22-10-2018, 22:55
Ratebeer has the same issue

As do the JDW web site. I noticed that Trip Advisor use a site called citymaps? It does look as though Google are shooting themselves in the foot.

Aqualung
24-11-2018, 23:45
I got back from Wales to find that the static map is now blank. Is this a result of having visited a foreign country, perhaps as a spy?

oldboots
25-11-2018, 09:23
See also this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?28750-OpenStreetMaps&p=97025#post97025)

On my Linux machine running Firefox I get the "dark" Google map with error message on the Country and County pages, a blank Open Streetmap on the pub's main page and Google maps working as normal on "pub map".

Same on Windows 7 running Firefox and IE.

Chrome doesn't want to know full stop. "ERR_SPDY_inadequete_transport_security"

ETA
27-11-2018, 23:03
See also this thread (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?28750-OpenStreetMaps&p=97025#post97025)

On my Linux machine running Firefox I get the "dark" Google map with error message on the Country and County pages, a blank Open Streetmap on the pub's main page and Google maps working as normal on "pub map".

Same on Windows 7 running Firefox and IE.

Chrome doesn't want to know full stop. "ERR_SPDY_inadequete_transport_security"

I'm running Chromium on Ubuntu - no problems at all.